Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
Some practical information

The hotel consists of two buildings, separated be a beautiful outdoor garden and an interior basement passageway called Paseo Des Artistes which serves as an art gallery for rotating exhibits by contemporary Latin American artists, plus some sculpture that seems to be permanent. Hotel guests can request a guided tour by one of the hotel's art ambassadors. Taxis serve both buildings, each of which has a small carriage entrance and valet parking garage.

Be aware that taxi fares have increased significantly in the last year. In September 2016, rates were about 40-50 for a ride to Centro, including the port area, and about 100 to restaurants in Palermo (which are generally lcated up the hill, far from the water). A remise from the domestic AEP airport costs about 250-300, although a taxi should be around 100-150 with no traffic.

The tower building on Posadas is modern and contains the Gioia (Italian) restaurant. It's almost all day dining, with a large breakfast buffet, lunch buffet, current Italian aperitif hours, and dinner. The hotel concierges sit in the basement of the tower building, at the entrance to the business center (free computers and printing). Ask for their printouts of what to do and suggested restaurant lists.

The historic palace building on Alvear contains a beautiful indoor pool in the basement, the florist, the Argentinian fine dining restaurant Duhau with its cheese cellar and wine room, open for lunch and dinner, the Piano Noble cafe/lobby bar, and the oak room bar, where the latter allows smoking as do the outdoor eating and drinking areas on terraces and in the garden.

The street parallel to Alvear and Posadas, one block up the hill from Alvear, contains shops, including a small ma and pa grocery store that closes for lunch and a larger supermarket with red signage called something like Dash. Both are self service, sell wine, and are open to at least 9 pm. There's also a fancy specialty wine store about a block from the palace building, next to the French
Club restaurant.

Breakfast is available until 11am in Gioia (big cold buffet, plus you can order hot items, I believe for extra charges except for Diamonds) or continental plus a hot menu of things to order at Piano Noble, IIRC also until 11am, including on their outdoor balcony tables. Coffee and drinks, including champagne, are served there with small snacks such as cookies or nuts and olives. Room service breakfast is available until noon, with instructions to place the order form on your doorknob by 4am. In the past, I was instructed to take Diamond breakfast either in Gioia or Piano Noble, but this time I was told Gioia only while others were given the choice.

Restaurants within a couple blocks include Club Frances or French Club, Fervor on Posadas for vaguely Spanish fish/seafood and steak, Sotta Voce on Libertador for Italian food, including fish, and the restaurant inside the new Brick Hotel on Posadas. Sadly the all branch of La Dorita casual steak house has closed.
Print Wikipost

Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
If you exit the hotel on the Palacio Duhau side (Av. Alvear) make a right, turn left on Rodriguez Pena, walk up to the corner of Vicente Lopez. There is a Market Area, there is a large grocery store as the hub with about a dozen little mom and pop specially stores that surround it. I always go there to stock on snacks, drinks and buy supplies. The majority of the specialty stores on are the Rodriquez Pena side, what I don't find there I go into the grocery store. There is a great cheese and meat store on the corner, and a nice Empanada/ Chicken/ Pizza place called "Crazy Cheese". To buy some great wines I would go to the "Winery" which is located near the hotel down Posadas near a bunch of restaurants under a highway overpass.

Recoleta is an awesome neighborhood to explore. I go back in 4 weeks!

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Is there a place walking distance to the hotel like a drug store for toiletries and cheap snacks/candy and whatnot?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
A couple of questions

Just made a reservation here, and have a few questions:

1. I wonder about the breakfast. We got a "Senior" rate of $405/night for our three-night stay. The rate with breakfast was $540/night. Am I missing something-breakfast for two costs $140?

2. Does anyone have experience working with the concierge for arranging private tours? If so, do you have any recommendations and an email for the concierge?

Many thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:00 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by 747FC
Just made a reservation here, and have a few questions:

1. I wonder about the breakfast. We got a "Senior" rate of $405/night for our three-night stay. The rate with breakfast was $540/night. Am I missing something-breakfast for two costs $140?

2. Does anyone have experience working with the concierge for arranging private tours? If so, do you have any recommendations and an email for the concierge?

Many thanks!
Concierge email is [email protected]
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by ray1022
Concierge email is [email protected]
Many thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:28 pm

Just had one of the most fabulous stays at this property. I have stayed at some other Park Hyatts like in Dubai and Istanbul before and those were good but this was amazing. First of all I was a Diamond member when I originally booked it but the actual stay was after the World of Hyatt conversion and the Hotel confirmed all Diamond benefits still even though I am down to Explorist. They upgraded me to the Park Suite which was amazing overlooking the courtyard. My room was ready at 10 AM and the staff was so professional. Also it has the most special location in Recoleta. Recoleta is the nicest neighborhood in the city and its blended in perfectly to feel like you are a local once you step out onto Posadas. While I have heard people say "Well Palermo is a better area and rather stay there" I would very much disagree with that. Palermo Soho is a cool area with restaurants and cafes but has such a Brooklyn feel plus it is not a central part of the city in relation to San Telmo, Av Alcorta etc. Palermo Hollywood is really overrated and would never want to stay there as its very noisy area with just all clubs. The fact this hotel is a category 4 is an absolute bargain. I guess that is because other accommodations can be found pretty inexpensive in the city but its specific location is so so special in Buenos Aires. Rapa Nui helado on Uruguay which is walking distance from the hotel is hands down the best ice cream in the city and no local wll argue that as Freddo is good but not the best. The only small cons are its about a 20 min walk to Callao metro station but with the clientele staying there I am sure not an issue for most and the breakfast will very good had limited hot items and was focused on the carbs. However, between the amazing staff in all departments, location, best neighborhood, and a Hotel that everyone locally recognizes as the best is a very special place to call home during a vacation. This Hotel is really a category 6 or 7 and has to be a top 3 hotel in the system along with Sydney and Tokyo.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:38 pm

Just had one of the most fabulous stays at this property. I have stayed at some other Park Hyatts like in Dubai and Istanbul before and those were good but this was amazing. First of all I was a Diamond member when I originally booked it but the actual stay was after the World of Hyatt conversion and the Hotel confirmed all Diamond benefits still even though I am down to Explorist. They upgraded me to the Park Suite which was amazing overlooking the courtyard. My room was ready at 10 AM and the staff was so professional. Also it has the most special location in Recoleta. Recoleta is the nicest neighborhood in the city and its blended in perfectly to feel like you are a local once you step out onto Posadas. While I have heard people say "Well Palermo is a better area and rather stay there" I would very much disagree with that. Palermo Soho is a cool area with restaurants and cafes but has such a Brooklyn feel plus it is not a central part of the city in relation to San Telmo, Av Alcorta etc. Palermo Hollywood is really overrated and would never want to stay there as its very noisy area with just all clubs. The fact this hotel is a category 4 is an absolute bargain. I guess that is because other accommodations can be found pretty inexpensive in the city but its specific location is so so special in Buenos Aires. Rapa Nui helado on Uruguay which is walking distance from the hotel is hands down the best ice cream in the city and no local wll argue that as Freddo is good but not the best. The only small cons are its about a 20 min walk to Callao metro station but with the clientele staying there I am sure not an issue for most and the breakfast will very good had limited hot items and was focused on the carbs. However, between the amazing staff in all departments, location, best neighborhood, and a Hotel that everyone locally recognizes as the best is a very special place to call home during a vacation. This Hotel is really a category 6 or 7 and has to be a top 3 hotel in the system along with Sydney and Tokyo.
Thanks for the review. You really rate this hotel better than the PH Dubai? Why? It sounds like the Dubai breakfast offerings blow BAs away...
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:48 pm

Thanks for the review. You really rate this hotel better than the PH Dubai? Why? It sounds like the Dubai breakfast offerings blow BAs away...
Yes, I do because the PH Dubai location isn't good at all in comparison to the rest of the city. Breakfast is really a minor amenity to me as I would always prefer to eat local foods. Honestly couldn't even eat the PH BA breakfast each day because I was so stuffed from the amazingily heavy Argentine foods I was eating all day like beef, choripan, papas fritas, helado, etc. It got to the point where I just wanted to save the room for the restaurants/food stands and not "waste" it on the general breakfast buffet. I think Argentina outside of Central Europe is the heaviest food cuisine there is. I am actually happy that the PH BA breakfast wasn't "worth" having because the cities food was so good. The Hotel felt so exclusive and was better situated than the 4 seasons which was like on the side of a highway connecting Recoleta to downtown. Everyone knew about the Palacio Duhau and also had this added wow factor when conversing with locals about it which you obviously would not get in Dubai. Again this Hotel is an absolute bargain at a category 4 and should be at least a 6. Using Points/Cash is also amazing because there is no VAT now for US citizens. Also, an example of how awesome the service is when I contacted the concierge to make a dinner reservations before my stay they had a note in my room with a list of the reservations pre-placed in the room. Also, when I contacted them during the stay to inquire about a reservation, they said they would call me back and I missed the call in the bathroom and listened to the voicemail saying the restaurant didnt take reservations or credit cards. Shortly thereafter they sent a nice note also saying the same information about the restaurant thinking maybe I didn't hear the voicemail. That is very much attention to detail that I can't say I have ever gotten any other Hyatt.

Last edited by ASUDan130; Mar 31, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I 100% agree, this is an amazing hotel and location. You walk out the front door and you are in the middle of an amazing neighborhood. It's walkable with lots of shops, markets and places to eat. I also ate out everyday, the beef is so delicious and the wines "muy bien"!

This is one amazing foodie city! I go back next week, ^^^

Yes, I do because the PH Dubai location isn't good at all in comparison to the rest of the city. Breakfast is really a minor amenity to me as I would always prefer to eat local foods. Honestly couldn't even eat the PH BA breakfast each day because I was so stuffed from the amazingily heavy Argentine foods I was eating all day like beef, choripan, papas fritas, helado, etc. It got to the point where I just wanted to save the room for the restaurants/food stands and not "waste" it on the general breakfast buffet. .
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Plat; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Is this hotel a catgory 5? Isnt it?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:53 am

Should we upgrade to Suite with Points?

I have a standard room booked and we are considering using points to upgrade to a suite. I would appreciate any recommendations as to whether this would measurably improve our experience at this facility.

I would assume that the likely suite assigned to us would be the first-tier type? Also, would this upgrade include free minibar -emptying rights? Would breakfast be included?

Many thanks to the facility experts here..
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've never heard of free minibar privileges at this property. I've stayed here in suites about six times, including twice in the category just above entry level. I think I would have noticed and remembered if there had been a sign in the suite to this effect.

You should understand that the entry level suites are really junior suites, meaning one room with some sort of a sitting area. Bathrooms are large and luxurious. The entry (Park IIRC) suites in the tower building remind one very much of this room category in other modern PHs, just as Washington DC, in that there's a big piece of furniture at half wall height separating the areas and containing a TV that swivels. Andaz Wall Street has similar junior suites too.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Accor Plus Silver
You'll most likely get a Park Suite, which is in fact as MSPeconomist pointed out, a Junior Suite. You can see pics of that suite in my review (top of this page).You can expect to have almost double the space than in a standard room. All Park Suites look into the hotel's gardens.

If you require a separate living area (with closing doors), you could ask the hotel to be accommodated in the Park One Bedroom Suite. Since they sell it for a cheaper price than the Park Suite, this could be viewed as a "downgrade" and shouldn't be a problem. This suite is VERY compartmentalized, the bedroom is small, the sitting area in the living room is scarce, but you have complete privacy. This suite looks to Posadas street.

I don't think booking a suite gives you free breakfast, most surely it does not give you free mini bar . Buttlers are more attentive to suite guests than to the other rooms.

I'll be posting a photo review of the Park One Bedroom Suite, and the Park Suite on the Palace side soon.

I have a standard room booked and we are considering using points to upgrade to a suite. I would appreciate any recommendations as to whether this would measurably improve our experience at this facility.

I would assume that the likely suite assigned to us would be the first-tier type? Also, would this upgrade include free minibar -emptying rights? Would breakfast be included?

Many thanks to the facility experts here..

Last edited by lautaro; Apr 5, 2017 at 4:09 pm Reason: added suite views
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Park Suite (Palace) & Park One Bedroom Suite

Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires

Map| 7 Reviews | 57% Recommended

Av. Alvear 1661 Buenos Aires, AR C1014AAD

Park Suite (Palace) & Park One Bedroom Suite (7 Photos)

Short photo review of my last stay in January 2017. 

Park Suite (Palace)

Park King on the Palace is beautiful, but you can smell the smoke from the bar downstairs... 

1_IMG_2268.jpg1_IMG_2269.jpg1_IMG_2270.jpg
Door on the left is the dressing room, middle door is the bathroom, I forgot to take pics of it.

Park One Bedroom Suite

One Bedroom Suite is the cheapest suite they sell. Very convenient if you plan to request an extra bed to put on the living roomIMG_2278.jpgIMG_2276.jpg

IMG_2279.jpgIMG_2275.jpg

Park Suite (Palace) & Park One Bedroom Suite

Would you like to write a review on the Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You should understand that the entry level suites are really junior suites, meaning one room with some sort of a sitting area. Bathrooms are large and luxurious. The entry (Park IIRC) suites in the tower building remind one very much of this room category in other modern PHs...
Originally Posted by lautaro
You'll most likely get a Park Suite, which is in fact as MSPeconomist pointed out, a Junior Suite. You can see pics of that suite in my review (top of this page).You can expect to have almost double the space than in a standard room. All Park Suites look into the hotel's gardens.

If you require a separate living area (with closing doors), you could ask the hotel to be accommodated in the Park One Bedroom Suite. Since they sell it for a cheaper price than the Park Suite, this could be viewed as a "downgrade" and shouldn't be a problem. This suite is VERY compartmentalized, the bedroom is small, the sitting area in the living room is scarce, but you have complete privacy. This suite looks to Posadas street.
Many thanks for your detailed responses and pictures. It all really helps.

We do need to avoid anyplace where we will possibly smell fumes (and noise as well--will be coming off a 36-hour transit). A larger room versus a smaller bedroom with compartmentalization will be preferred.

Might you be able to recommend a preferred area of the hotel to request for a Park Suite--something away from smoke and noise?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:36 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Might you be able to recommend a preferred area of the hotel to request for a Park Suite--something away from smoke and noise?
You are welcome! happy to help.

The problem with the smoke is only on the Palace side. On the first floor there is a cigar bar (The Oak Bar), and they simply leave the door to this place open at all times, so the lobby always smells of tobacco. The smell can be felt on some rooms also because of the emergency stairs and the ventilation.
If you feel like I do, and hate cig smoke in the lobby, please take a little time and express your disapproval to management, somehow there seems to be few complains about this issue. It's the only thing I hate about this hotel, otherwise it's my favorite hotel in the world!

On the tower side (Posadas building) you will be free of smoke .

The hotel's garden is like an oasis in the city, so if you get a room with this view you would be fine regarding the noise.

My understanding is that all Park Suites face the garden.

I haven't stay in every single floor in the tower, but the image below is more or less accurate with the general floor distribution.
Park Suite faces the garden and the palace, down-right is reserved for Deluxe and Executive suites facing Posadas street and the Obispado gardens (building next door), and the rest of the rooms are either Park or Park Deluxe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.