Original Poster

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Talking CPT – SIN - SYD SQ in J

Cape Town - Singapore
777- 200
Raffles Class 13A
Depart: 11.00am
Arrive: 6.30am

What a glorious time I had in South Africa, particularly CPT! I would go back tomorrow if I could! Did all the usual tourist stuff: Robbins Island, Table Mountain, Simons Town, Green Point Market, Township Tour. There were lots of things I didn’t do, so that gives me the perfect excuse to visit again! I also flew Kulala,com the LCC from CPT – DUR but that’s another TR. As an aside, I thought Durban was very disappointing. The Beach area has obviously seen better days – it was decidedly raffish, down at heel and not very safe.

Took the ‘Trans Oranje’ train that operates once a week Cape Town – Durban – Cape Town. Being something of a closet train lover, I was eagerly anticipating this journey and I was not disappointed. What’s more it was a real bargain at approx. $A140 one way First Class. For non-drivers such as me, this was the perfect opportunity to see at least some of the SA countryside.

After a two-night journey, the train pulled into Bellville Station - the last stop before Cape Town Railway Station. Bellville is a 10-minute journey to CPT. I was assured I could obtain a metered taxi to CPT, no problems. So do you think I could find a taxi? Nope, not for love nor money. I was directed to the mini -taxi rank located nearby. I was squashed into a rather well-worn, battered mini-van with nine other people. I was the only white face in a sea of black and I certainly got some ‘looks’ – not necessarily hostile, more curious. The driver drove like a man possessed!!! We turned corners at frightening speeds, the rows of seats moved with a force of their own!!!!. After eight minutes I could see a KLM 744 landing in the vista. Moments later the driver announced ‘Airport’ and he screeched to a halt on the highway next to a footbridge. I mean I couldn’t really complain that I wasn’t delivered outside the terminal when the fare was R7 which is about $A1.50. So I grabbed my full suitcase and negotiated the footbridge, the traffic and the non-paved areas to finally arrive at the terminal.

Once inside the terminal, proceeded through security to the International Check-in area. Since most international departures ex CPT are in the evening, the only scheduled departures that morning were SQ and MH. Check-in was swift and courteous. Then it was through Immigration and up the escalators to the Business Class lounge operated by BA. A pleasantly appointed lounge with great views of the tarmac and the runway though not as panoramic as, say, NZ’s lounges in SYD or WLG. The SQ 772 was directly in front of me and looked magnificent in the African sunshine The only downside to this lounge was the lack of Internet access. After a bite to eat and a coffee, I decided to stroll around air side. The International Wing is not particularly large but aesthetically pleasing …..lots of windows and easy on the eye décor!! After buying some duty-free it was back to the lounge for half an hour before boarding time.

CPT has only three aerobridges, otherwise it’s the old fashioned portable stairs and bus. Something you rarely see these days. The tarmac had an interesting array of mostly European carriers all parked on remote stands: BA, LH, KL and, of course, SAA.

After having my BP read it was a short walk to the bus which was crowded, hot and uncomfortable. I shouldn’t whinge – after all, we weren’t exactly going across town!. 10 mins after we boarded the bus it was off for the short journey to gleaming SQ772 Jubilee aircraft. Jumped off the bus and grabbed the opportunity to take some photos then it was up the stairs to Raffles Class. Just before entering the cabin doors I took some more photos. Then greeted by a smiling ‘Singapore Boy’ and directed to my seat. A SQ Girl then scurried over and asked if I wanted a drink. Well what could I say but of course….a Kleine Zalze Chardonnay was soon after deposited on my arm rest

This morning sector was only partly full to JNB but the FA did inform me that is was completely full from JNB – SIN. It seem SQ does very nicely on this sector as the only other South East Asian carrier is MH.

The portable air stairs were pushed back and taxiing soon commenced. Take-off was to the east and we flew over the grim Cape Flats where many of Cape Towns impoverished live.

Once the seat belt sign was turned off and the usual blurbs were given, the ‘Light Refreshment’ service began. It was not a LR – it was almost a proper main meal and, what’s more, it was delicious!!!!

To nibble on
Pan fried chicken with mushroom red wine sauce, selected vegetables and gratin potatoes

or

Beef stroganoff with buttered vegetables and fettuccine

A sweet note
Fresh Fruits

The Chicken was just cooked to perfection and the veges were very tasty. I commented to the FA how delicious the meal was and that my Book the Cook Chicken meal from SYD SIN was just terrible. She discreetly remarked how catering can be so ‘variable’.

The Raffles cabin was pristine and I loved the mood lighting! The service was friendly, professional and attentive.

After a flight of 1.48min we flew into JNB. What an enormous airfield! SYD and AKL look like regional airfields in comparison. I believe that the extremely long runways are due to JNB’s elevation. The terminal building didn’t look particularly impressive and I have heard that it is not exactly user-friendly. Unfortunately, we had to remain on board for the brief stopover though it was interesting to watch Cabin Services people remove and restock the catering. Following re-catering and a change of crew we were away to SIN.Taxied past an interesting array of aircraft including an Air Malaw1 733 – can they afford a national airline? – and an Air Afrique DC8-62. I can’t remember the last time I saw a DC8.Take-off was long and slow but, eventually, we were flying across the townships that surround JNB.

Seat belt signs turned off, the FAs swung into action taking drinks and lunch orders. After the sublime LR from CPT – JNB I wasn’t feeling particularly hungry but what possessed me to order chicken again is beyond me! It was nowhere as tasty as the LR – I just picked at it. The ice cream dessert was tasty but the Cheese Board was unimaginative.

B]Lunch Menu[/B]

A Savoury Note
Fresh seasonal salad with
Smoked salmon and potato.

The Main Event
Chicken in tarragon vinegar sauce with
Seasonal vegetables and raisin basmati rice.

Pan fried fish with creamy mustard sauce
served with pappardella pasta and white beans.

Grilled tournedos of beef with forest
mushroom sauce, seasonal vegetables and
roasted vegetables.

The Cheese Board
Selection of cheese with garnishes

A Sweet Note
A selection of fresh fruit
Ice Cream

Once lunch was finished, I glanced out the window and realised night was falling. The two days on the train had caught up with me and I was feeling very tired. I adjusted the ‘Spacebed’ into sleep mode, popped a sleeping pill and fell into an uninterrupted sleep. Sleeping in Raffles Class is a decidedly more pleasurable experience than in Y. I awoke as the Breakfast Service was about to commence.

[Breakfast Menu
A Fresh Start
A choice of apple, tomato and freshly squeezed orange

A selection of fresh fruit

A Health Note
Cereal
With low fat or full cream milk

The Main Event
Currant and ricotta pancakes with
Caramelized apple syrup and chicken
Sausages.

Spinach quiche with tomato, beef
Sausage, sauteed mushrooms and potatoes.

Omelette with pork sausages and bacon, grilled tomato and potatoes.

I chose the Omelette with Pork Sausages and Bacon. It was average – nothing special. I wish SQ could make a decent hot cup of coffee in Raffles. Every coffee I had in Raffles was tepid at best. I recall reading somewhere that airlines have great difficulty in bringing water to boil due to the altitude! This time I asked the FA for a second cup and politely asked he if she could make it a bit hotter. Alas, it was no hotter than the first. Oh well, at least I tried!

We arrived at a wet and dark SIN on time. Said goodbye to the excellent crew on this flight and made a mad dash to the SilverKris Lounge. I must say the lack of windows in this lounge is disappointing and it can get very crowded. There was a half-hour wait for showers. The Shower Attendant was in a serious bad mood. ‘You wait. I very blusy’ he yelled at me. Very unSingaporean I thought but then he was probably paid a pittance

Last edited by MrSydney; May 4, 2004 at 10:05 pm
Old May 4, 2004, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Singapore - Sydney
747- 400
Raffles Class 24A
Depart: 8.40am
Arrive: 7.50pm

Boarded quickly and directed to my seat. Either the FA gave me the wrong directions (unlikely) or maybe I was just having a vague moment. So I end up sitting in 24K. The aisle seat was occupied by an elderly Australian women with – I swear you not - a beard. The moment I sat down she started yapping about her European Opera Tour. ‘Oh lord’ I thought to myself ‘Not 7 hours of this’. Plus she had one of those irritating posh Aussie accents – yes we know that’s a contradiction in terms but……. As a distraction I looked into my bag to grab some mineral water and realised it had leaked everywhere!!! A delightful SQ FA noticed and scurried along to get some towels so I could clean up my bag. Meanwhile Miss Snooty Face next to me was still prattling on. What happened next was priceless. The FAs were scurrying around the cabin distributing drinks. ‘Oh goodie’ I thought ‘a glass of wine’. So I says to the trout sitting next to me. ‘Oh good, a glass of wine’. So Trout Face just looks at me and says in her best Queen Elizabeth voice ‘Young man, it is far too early in the morning to be drinking wine’. Now I ask you fellow FTs. What is wrong with wine at 8.30am on an international flight. Precisely – I knew you would think the same as me. Nothing wrong at all! Besides, who flies SQ in Raffles to drink frigggin water for seven hours?!!

What happened next was even better!! The Purser came up and said “MrSydney we are terribly sorry but you are in the wrong seat. You are on the other side of the cabin’. I could have kissed him. I grabbed my belongings, scurried past Snot Face and accompanied the Purser to the other side where my new seat companion was much more personable.

Two of the reasons I enjoy taking the daylight SIN SYD flight is, firstly, flying over the Australian desert during daylight hours and, secondly, arriving in Sydney at night so you can go home to bed and avoid the dreaded jet lag! But alas, it was cloud cover across the entire Australian continent. Very disappointing.

We had a warm greeting by the Australian Captain. Today was the final of the World Cup and the Captain cheerfully advised us not to bother the Crew with queries about the results as we weren’t scheduled to arrive until 7.50 and the match didn’t start until 8pm. The Captain said ‘ For those Sydneysiders on board, the streets tonight will be empty so you should be home in plenty of time to catch the match’.

Anyway back to the flight………..my new seat companion was the nicest I had struck on all my flights. She was Australian Chinese and casually remarked ‘ I hope this bloody plane is on time as I have to meet my mates at the ‘The Oaks’ in Neutral Bay to watch the game. What’s more I bet they’ll be all pissed when I arrive!’

I had pre-ordered Rack of Lamb from ‘Book the Cook’ and it was atrocious. Rack of Lamb used to be something of a dinner party specialty and I have cooked it 100s of times. This must be the worst I have ever eaten. It was over-cooked, dry and tasteless. I have eaten better in a RSL. My neighbour had some type of Indian dish and hated it. Unfortunately, I have misplaced the menu so I’m unable to give you a complete listing

The meal aside, it was a very pleasant flight. Had an extremely attentive and attractive FA. The seven hours flew by. I slept, drank, read my book and chatted to my neighbour. Before I knew it we had begun our descent into a dark and overcast SYD. We landed precisely on time at 7.50pm. Pier B was virtually deserted with SQ being the only arrival. I was through immigration, customs and landside within 20 minutes. It was therefore a surprise to see such a huge crowd in the arrivals hall. The penny suddenly dropped and I realised it was not the ‘MrSydney’ Fan Club. No indeed. People were crowded around huge screen TVs to watch the World Cup Final. I was tempted to stay and watch but it was time to head home. As an aside, the SQ Captain was indeed correct – there was scarcely a car on the road. I was home in record time!

Overall Impressions:
SQ provides a very good product indeed. The service was faultless. The crews were outstanding. Nothing was too much trouble. Cabins were spotless and well appointed.

My one criticism was the catering. With two exceptions the catering was very patchy indeed. My two favourite meals were the Light Refreshments served JNB – CPT & CPT – JNB: they were very tasty indeed. Book the Cook was very disappointing – the Rack of Lamb from SIN – SYD was terrible! The wine was very pleasant indeed!

Despite the video selection for that particular month being disappointing, Krisworld is everything people say it is and more. The selection is vast! I hope when NZ revamps their 744s and IFE, it will match Krisworld.

Would I fly SQ again? Most definitely! SQ and NZ rate as my two favourite airlines. You just can’t beat their levels of service. True, they are both two very different airlines from two very distinct cultures. But what they both collectively provide is top service in a world where airline service is a byword for rude check in staff, surly Flight Attendants, grungy aircraft and minimal or no catering.
Old May 4, 2004, 10:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Great report MrSydney ^ ^ ^

I have often wondered whether it is worth going out of the way via SIN vs the direct option. What are your thoughts on this?
Old May 4, 2004, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Kiwi Flyer

The trip over was just horrendous. I had to go WLG AKL SYD SIN JNB CPT and I arrived at CPT feeling just awful. I tried to go CHC SIN JNB CPT but there was a problem as I was returning back to SYD.

To answer your question....no i would prefer to go direct next time. The flight is just too long and tiring.
Old May 5, 2004, 9:05 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, MH Enrich
Glad you enjoyed your flights. Food seems to be a weak point in Raffles Class. Any chance of us getting to see the photos from your trip/flight?
Looking forward to the next part of your trip report!!
Old May 5, 2004, 9:28 pm

Quite a wonderful report. I also love the daylight flights to SYD. Thanks
Old May 6, 2004, 7:51 am

Programs: LX, AZ, BA, LH, SA
Sounds more like you visited Robben Island!!!!
Old May 6, 2004, 9:20 am

Programs: LH FTL, Marriott Plat
Thumbs up Great report!

Thanx for this very insightful and interesting report. Especially enjoyed the CPT-JNB part! Food sounds great on this route. If you have some spare-time please share your pictures with us, via http://photos.yahoo.com It´s very easy to use!

Greetings from Austria,
Tom

Last edited by tomashi; May 6, 2004 at 9:22 am Reason: grammar
Old May 7, 2004, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Air Malawi

Originally Posted by MrSydney
Taxied past an interesting array of aircraft including an Air Malawi 733 – can they afford a national airline?
I used to live in Malawi and in spite of being one of the poorest countries in the world, they do have a national airline that flies around southern Africa.

Here's a photo I took of my friends boarding a flight:
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ola...&.dnm=ea45.jpg

When I lived in Malawi, I often flew down to South Africa and normally would chose SAA over Air Malawi because the seat pitch on Air Malawi was AWFUL and the food wasn't much better. But the flight attendants were wonderful! And they served a mean Malawi Gin & Tonic.
Old May 11, 2004, 12:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Good to hear you had a great time in Cape town. Till now, CPT is still my favourite city, but the rising rand isn't helping me planning my summer vacation. I recall taking the commuter train down to Simon's Town, and it was fantastic. There are some rather good beaches along the stretch.

While JNB airport might be drab looking, the domestic one was rather modern. I guess they haven't upgraded the int'l one yet.
Old May 11, 2004, 10:28 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Great trip report!
Old May 16, 2004, 5:02 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Thumbs up

Great report, MrSydney - I'm not sure how I missed it up to now. My experiences of Raffles Class catering were fairly similar to yours - the only really tasty thing I had was a 'refreshment' on a late night flight; the full meals were disappointing, as was the alcohol selection. I was amazed to see that underneath the peach coloured linen cloths they use in Raffles class, there lurked those truly disgusting rubber trays that already look cheap and nasty back in economy class! Still, they are a pretty slick operation. How did you find the spacebeds - did you suffer from that sliding sensation during the course of the night?

And finally, is it just me being more dense than usual or did you not post a report on the other direction?
Old May 17, 2004, 11:07 am

<<[QUOTE=olafman]I used to live in Malawi>>

I had a friend at school who lived in Mzuzu.
Old May 17, 2004, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Mad_Atta

Shame on you for not seeing it earlier!

No, I did not post a Trip Report SYD SIN CPT so you weren’t having one of your ‘moments’. The reason is that the trip over was a real marathon: WLG AKL SYD SIN JNB CPT and my memories of it are a bit hazy.

The Spacebed was fine……..though initially I couldn’t get it to work on the SIN JNB but with plenty of jigging from the Chief Purser it eventually worked. I gather from the Pursers comments that this is a regular occurrence. I didn’t get that sliding effect you mentioned but I know what you mean.

Am off to LA in two weeks time on NZ. Flying SYD AKL J Class on my comp upgrade then using points to fly LAX AKL in J. Trip report to follow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.