British Airways J Class - EDI-LGW-GND-UNI-BGI-LGW-EDI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2004, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card

EDI-LGW BA2943 – B737-300 Seats 6E and 6F

This was a fairly routine UK Domestic shuttle flight though it was only half full. As usual the blue leather seats were set into the 3x3 domestic configuration. We settled into 6E and F and it soon became clear that there were no passengers sat in the first six rows, although none of these seats had been available for selection on OLCI.

We left the gate bang on time and after the usual short taxi at Edinburgh (past the new taxiways that are being built) we took off out over the Firth of Forth, before banking to the left for an amazing view of the Forth Bridges in the twilight.

As soon as we were level the crew started the service, and given the half load service was very quick. As the flight was after 6pm, were fortunately spared the carrot dips and peach gateau of the All Day Deli service and given a “mini Club Europe meal” of chicken breast on a bed of mushrooms and salad. This came with a small chocolate dessert and a plastic tub of water. Then much to my surprise the crew came round with Hot Bread Rolls, which I have never seen on a domestic service before. I even asked the crew if this was a recent enhancement and he said they had been doing it on Gatwick flights for about six months. I usually fly into Heathrow and they are still serving rock hard rolls in a plastic pouch.

We washed the meal down with a couple of bottles each of rather good red wine. Before we knew it we could see the south coast and we had begun our final approach into Gatwick. We landed 15 minutes early, which meant that it we had time to leisurely check into Le Meridien and make our dinner reservation in the Chinese Restaurant there.

LGW – GND BA 2157 – B777-200 – Seats 1E and 1F

We had been pre-assigned seats 12J and 12K, but for weeks before the “manage my booking feature was showing that the aircraft operating our sector was in fact a 4 Class 777 rather than the usual 2 class 777 with Old Club Cradle Seats. However the FIRST seats were blocked off. I was a little nervous as we approached the check in the following morning, as thanks to the FT forums, a BA poster had kindly agreed to put a note against our PNR, and we kept our fingers crossed that they would be using the FIRST cabin for Club Passengers that day. The man on the check in desk smiled broadly and handed us BPs with 1E and 1F – an excellent start to the holiday – seats in the FIRST cabin albeit with Club service.

After filling our hand luggage with two weeks supply of reading material from Books Etc, we headed off to the FIRST lounge and settled down to a nice hot cup of coffee. We decided that it was a little too early for some champagne – so me managed to wait for another 15 minutes before giving in and going to get some from the bar. There was a nice cold bottle of Piper Heidsieck Rare just waiting to be devoured.

The flight was called and we boarded about 20 minutes before take off, settling quickly into the very comfortable FIRST seats. The FIRST cabin on a 777 is very spacious. The crew pounced on us straight away handing out newspapers, a glass of orange or water, and a Molton Brown amenity kit. The kits were a new design to the many that we have hoarded in our draw at home.

It was a very cloudy day so as soon as we took off we lost sight of the ground and stayed in bright whiteness until we reached cruising height. The crew were very quick to begin the service and we had our first glass of champagne about 15 minutes after take off. Even though this was Club service, the crew didn’t bring a drinks trolley into the cabin they just took orders and brought them out one at a time – so it did feel like FIRST service just a little.

Lunch quickly followed.

Appetisers
Prawn and crab cocktail
Or
A combination of spiced aubergine and red pepper with yoghurt and herb dressing

Fresh seasonal salad served with vinaigrette

Mains

Grilled fillet of beef with tarragon butter, wilted spinach, sautéed mushrooms and potatoes fondants
Or
Fish pie with glazed potato topping
Or
Tomato, basil and Mozzarella Cheese ravioli
Or
Sticky chicken and noodle salad

Dessert

Brioche and marmalade pudding
Or
Pyrenees Tommes de Chevre, Brie and Shropshire Blue Cheese
Or
Fresh Fruit

I had the aubergine followed by the fillet and reflected as I ate this meal for the umpteenth time that there must be a sad little factory somewhere in the UK that turns it out by the thousands – I wondered what their spinach-wilting machine looks like? I washed the meal down with several glasses of red wine.

The Club class meal actually looked quite small on the large FIRST table – but it was still very tasty and filling.

Wine list

Champagne

Charles Heidsieck Mis en Cave 1997

White

Cono Sur Resere Chardonnay 2001
Chateau de Cruzeau 2001, Pessac-Leognan
Chateau de Landiras 2002, Graves Blanc Sec

Red

Carmen Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2001
Chivite Coleccion 125 Reserva 1997, Navarra

The flight was 9 hours to Antigua so we managed to watch two films, Master and Commander and the Last Samurai before having a kip.

An hour out from Antigua we had afternoon tea.

Sandwiches of Tomato with cream cheese and prawn with dill mayo
Or
Sandwiches of chicken with Dolce Latte cheese and coarse egg with cress

Warm fruit scones served with Cornish clotted cream and strawberry preserve

Chocolate and raspberry cream

Soon we arrived in Antigua and half of the passengers disembarked. We had to wait for an hour before we left for Grenada. During this time the new crew kept us well topped up with champagne as the aircraft was refuelled. There was no more food service during the final hour-long hop to Grenada but plenty of drink continued to flow. Finally after 11 hours we arrived in Grenada to be welcomed by the famous La Source limo, which whisked us away for a week of pampering and relaxation.

GND-UNI Britten Norman Islander – Front seats

For our second week we decided to try a tiny island in the Grenadines called Palm Island. To get there we had to take an airline called SVG Airways on a tiny prop plane with only 6 seats. It was a very cloudy day and the flight was a scary as hell, a cross between being on the Pepsi Max Big one and the Grand National roller coasters at the same time. But it was a short scary experience because after about 15 minutes we landed at Carriacou to dump a couple of passengers and then endured a further 5 minutes on the short hop to Union Island.

The runway at Union Island is at the bottom of a steep hill and the aircraft literally follows the contours of the hill as it dives towards the runway.

UNI-BGI Dehavilland Twin Otter – back seats

To get back to the UK we had to fly from Barbados. The flight from Union Island to Barbados was in a slightly bigger plane to the earlier flight. Fortunately it was a very clear day and there was not a repeat of the roller coaster ride. On the way we saw breath taking views of the Tobago Cays – which is where they shot the film Pirates of the Caribbean.

After an hour squeezed into this little plane I was beginning to seize up, and it was a relief to get out onto the apron at Barbados. The BA plane we would return home on followed us in.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Second part - due to word count limit

BA 2154 BGI-LGW B777-200 Seats 10A and 10B

The Terraces Lounge at BGI is very small, but the waitress was absolutely charming. After serving our drinks she told us about her ambitions to travel and see the world. It’s moments like that that make you appreciate travel – this young lady had never left the island.

Soon the flight was called and we boarded and took our seats in the Club Cabin (obviously there is a proper FIRST service on the BGI route so the only way we were going to get seats in FIRST was through an upgrade. Club was half empty so there were no Ops that day. A glass of orange, and amenity kit and the first newspaper I had seen for two weeks.

We pushed back well ahead of schedule and after a long taxi we thundered into the blue skies above Barbados. Sitting in the rear facing 10A afforded my magnificent view of the green and white island as it slowly faded towards the horizon.

Once again the crew burst into activity and served drinks and nuts. The nuts were served on little china plates - which was nice given that on the way out all we got was a packet of nuts. Dinner orders appeared to be taken according to status - I was asked first (Gold Card?) and the rest of the cabin in a seemingly random order. Soon dinner was served.

Appetisers

Smoked Salmon and grilled salmon with cucumber salad
Or
Grilled artichoke, courgettes, peppers and asparagus antipaste plate

Fresh seasonal salad served with vinaigrette

Mains

Braised beef short rib with green beans and mustard mashed potatoes
Or
Corn crusted dorado fillet on a lime garlic sauce with vegetables and redskin potatoes
Or
Cheese tortelloni pasta with alfredo sauce.
Or
Main course chicken Ceasar salad

Dessert

Rum Baba with caramelised pineapple.

Selection of British and Continental Cheese served with crackers and butter

The wine list was exactly the same as the outward journey and that Chivite was particularly delicious. I was quite tired so after watching a dreadful movie called Timeline, I slept for 5 hours and awoke to the sounds of breakfast being served.

Orange Juice
Or
Special wake-up energy smoothie

Fruit
Or
Cereal and milk

Hot bacon roll

Warm breads and pastries

Very shortly afterwards we swooped in and landed at Gatwick. It was 06.55am on a lovely crisp morning and we were over half an hour early.

BA 2936 B737-400 Seats 3A and 3B

The homeward shuttle flight is always a drag – it just adds too much onto the journey. Still a great shower in the lounge and a handful of Molly Brown bottles, followed by a strong coffee in the FIRST lounge and we were ready for the last leg.

A full shuttle flight with good service and the standard hot breakfast followed and then we were flying over our house to the east of Edinburgh, before sweeping out over the Forth to line up on approach.

A superb holiday and the usual superb service from BA.

Last edited by edi-traveller; Apr 25, 2004 at 11:03 am
Old Apr 24, 2004, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
Mains

Grilled fillet of beef with tarragon butter, wilted spinach, sautéed mushrooms and potatoes fondants
Will they ever get rid of this meal????

Glad to hear you had a good flight, on the way out were you the only people in the F cabin?
Old Apr 24, 2004, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fbgdavidson
Will they ever get rid of this meal????
Glad to hear you had a good flight, on the way out were you the only people in the F cabin?
No the F Cabin was nearly full - two other couples in the other two centre twin seats and about 4 people on the sides.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 11:10 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
BA 2154 BGI-LGW B777-200 Seats 10A and 10BA superb holiday and the usual superb service from BA.
I or better we , a party of 4, could not speak about usual superb service from BA !
We have been in club from LON-HKG Apr.02. and CAI-LON in club Apr.18.! The HKG flight fully booked and the CAI-LON fligt overbooked in all 4 classes! The seats in club are realy good ( the best one I know ) , but the service on both flights was poor ! Nearly no choice of food , no second entrees (and the only main course avail. was beef) !!! 3 drinkservices and after that we had to go to the galley and ask for more drinks ( and the staff gave me the feeling they want to rest and I should sleep ) , that was the HKG flight. The return from CAI only brunch ! Eggs, beans ...etc. I was lucky to get some bread rolls and had my own "Nutella chocolatecream" because even a strawberry marmelade they didn´t have; not to speak about cheese or jambon !
From HKG-HKT-BKK-DXB we where on Thai and from DXB to CAI on SQ. If you see the service and choice of food, even on an 3h. flight from HKG-HKT or DXB-CAI on TG/SQ you think you are in heaven!! You have the choice from minimum 4 hot meals and as much you want from a buffet. And the staff takes care of what ever you want with 4 stewards for 4 rows 2-3-2!
The same nice service we got on our last flight to HKG with CX, ! But it looks like the ASIAN arilines are all better in service than BA or LH!
Old Apr 27, 2004, 9:28 am

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
Nice report, edi-traveller - sounds like a great trip, with some interesting flying experiences as well.

As has been said before, we need another EDI do before much longer! So many travels to compare notes on!
Old May 3, 2004, 12:56 am

Could you tell us a little about Palm Island? Did you like it? I think there is only one hotel that was completely refurbished. I was in Grenada and liked it a lot. Did you have one favorite over the other?

Thank you.
Old May 3, 2004, 2:14 am
Original Poster

This was our 4th time in Grenada - we really like it. We stayed at La Source which is a sort of health spa in the sun. It's all inclusive and there is a heavy bent towards sports. Everyday you get a free treatment like a massage or a seaweed body wrap. There are Thai Chi and Yoga classes every morning and evening, as well as watersports and aerobics classes.

The grounds include a 9 hole golf course and beautiful gardens. The food is excellent - and you actually get a choice of bottle of wine at dinner which is unusual at all inclusives.

They have nightly entertainment (and one thing that puzzles me is that there is a guy who plays the piano in the Piano Bar and he is bloody awful - keeps hitting wrong notes. You can see all the guests laughing at him. Thing is he has been there every year - so who is the joke really on?)

Palm Island is about as close to paradise that I have ever been. The hotel has been completely revamped and the rooms are lovely - though they don't have glass in the windlows - just wooden shutters - and when you are in a beach front room the waves can keep you awake.

The beaches are fantastic with powder like sand. The island has three nature trails (tough in the heat), and a 9 hole golf course. You can walk all the way round the island in about 40 minutes. There are hammocks in strategic locations so that you can have a rest every couple of hundred yards if you like.

The island has many huge Iguana lizards wandering free which can be quite alarming. Lots of lovely birds as well - which tend to fly off with your food if you don't watch out.

The food in the evening was excellent - good choice and gormet standard - but I found that the lunch and breakfast menu was quite limited.

Entertainment once per week - so Palm Island is a very quiet place to stay.

Get a boat trip to the Tobago Quays - amazing snorkling/diving.

Check out www.wheretostay.com which includes many positive reviews.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.