Malaysia Airlines EWR-KUL-BKK in F & C

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2004, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Location: AA-Plat 7 Mil, UA-Plat 2 Mil, BA - Silv., KLM/AF- Plat, Bonvoy-Plat.

undefined

Just flew MH for the first time and it was a long time at that. Had to be in BKK for a few days and asked a friend in NY to tag along so I decided to try the MH flight that departs 3x a week from EWR - KUL with a stop in DXB.

Apr. 6 EWR - DXB MH #91
777-200 Seat 2J
Flying Time 12:50

Actually flew up from DFW to EWR the night before and stayed at the OK Sheraton EWR. The shuttle dropped us off around 10:30am for the 12:35pm departure. Check-in was rather speedy and I even got to practice my Polish with the check-in agent. You don't have to slep your bag at EWR to TSA screening which maybe is nice. My bag was ramsacked by TSA when I opened it in KUL, but at least they left a note saying I was randomly selected. My friends bag was searched as well and his locks were cut.

MH uses the Virgin lounge at EWR which was fairly decent. Nice selection of breakfast goodies and cocktails. I even got to try Virgin cola for the first time. The agent even gave me about 6 cans to take with. Went up to the gate around 40 mins. prior to dep. and boarding started 20 mins before dep. Not alot of people on this flight.....maybe about 100 total IIRC. First has 12 seats in a 2x2x2 config. Pleasant shades of blue & green. Seats are the old style FC w/ 165 degree recline. The president of MH in the inflight mag. stated biz. & first are due for an overhaul later this year, so flat seats are in the works. I didn't manage to sleep much on these flights compared to F trips on CX or LH....and I'm still fighting jet lag a week after I returned which is very unusual for me. Its amazing what 15 degrees pitch difference can make.

Was shown to our seats by one of the many pleasant MH FAs we would encounter. (All the FAs were most attentive and polite but a bit stiffer than CX or SQ ones). She even tried to help us stow our bags in the overhead but I wouldn't allow a woman with a 10" waist to lift my 70lb. bag. We were quickly served two glasses of Dom Perignon '96. We stayed with the Dom all the way to KUL. Funny thing is no nuts or canapes were ever served with the drinks. Maybe nuts aren't Halal as all the food on MH is. Boarding was completed and soon we were off for my first visit to DXB.

Menus, a decent amenity kit, and non-noise xclling headphones were passed out. Also a satiny duvet was distributed which is only offered on long-hauls routes so we got the regular blankets for the DXB-KUL legs. The FAs actually unwrapped the blankets and placed them on you. No PJs though Decent IFE was on offer but this particular plane did not have the VOD system as we had on the return flight. The screen was also much larger on the way back. Movies were OK plus they had a large selection of games to play. Should have brought my nephews. Also there is one over-sized lav for the F section. Nice selection of colognes and lotions, toothbrushes and razors. The most odd thing though was the toilet also contained a bidet. Does any other airline have a bidet in the restrooms?

The menu was as follows:

LUNCH

Malaysian Satay - Chicken and/or beef

Hors d'oeuvre Deluxe
Marinated Prawn in Italian Dressing, Grilled Chicken Breast in Soy Sauce and Cream Cheese Omlette w/ Plum Sauce

Sevruga Caviar Malossol - Served on Ice Sockle (basicaly an ice ring w/ orchids inside) w/ Traditional Garnishes & Vodka

Choice of Soup - Savoury Indian Spinach Soup or Seafood Cream

Seasonal Salad

Lobster Oriental Style
or
Apricot Rosemary Chicken -Actually this was replaced with some Fish entree
or
Lamb Rogan Josh- An Indian Lamb stew
or
Tri-Colour Rotini Pasta

Vegetables & Accompaniments- Stir Fried Mixed Veggies, Buttered Asparagus,Chateau Pumpkin, Steamed Rice, Roast Potatoes w/ Herbs

Seasonal Fresh Fruits

Cheese Cake

Bread Selection- 2 types of rolls and Garlic Bread

The lunch was actually delicious if not overwhelming. Everything was served from the cart so no surprises. Since there were only 5 of us in F so we were allowed to sample a couple of the entrees. I think I prefer the cart service as I don't feel I'm bothering the FAs like on other airlines Meal-on-Demand service. The glasses were a beautiful and heavy Waterford type design. The cutlery was also nice....even metal knives

A Skysnax was set up in the galley which had the standard sandwiches, cheese, chocolates and fruits. I can't imagine anyone in F partaking of this after the big lunch feast.

About 2 1/2 hours out of Dubai Breakfast was served. I think they could have waited a while longer to let us sleep more but oh well....

BREAKFAST

Health Drink, Juices (Orange, Mango, Guava)

Fresh Fruit

Fresh Eggs - Boiled, Fried, Scrambled
or
Mixed Grill- Beef Sausage, Lamb Cutlet & Chicken Medallion
or
Breadcrumbed Chicken - Stuffed w/ Banana & served w/ a Brown sauce
or
Indian Breakfast- Eggplant Masala w/ Semolina Upma

Vegetables & Accompaniments - Grilled tomato w/ Mushrooms, broccoli w/ Almond, Chateau Carrots, Hash Brown Potatoes, Steamed Rice

Bakery Selection

Another lite meal We arrived on time in to DXB. We were told we only had about 30 mins. to shop in the huge DXB duty free. FYI, Dom Perignon '95 was $88.00 there. Reboarded 40 mins. after we arrived to a fresh crew for the 5:50 min. fast flight to KUL. We were supposed to arrive KUL at 10pm but landed at 9pm. Only 4 in F this time and Biz. looked less than half full as it did on the EWR-DXB leg.

April 7 DXB-KUL MH #91 cont'd
LUNCH - Again

Assorted Hot Savouries - Beef skewer w/ BBQ sauce, Spinach Fatayer, Falafel and Prawn Tempura

Hors d'oeuvre Deluxe - Marinated Prawn, Duck Breast w/ Mango and stuffed baby artichoke

Choice of Soup - Herb Tomato or Clear Seafood

Chicken Biryiani- A middle Eastern Chicken & Rice dish
or
Lobster Ala American - Lobster w/ cream & cheese
or
Braised Beef w/ Basil & Oregano
or
Baked Aubergine w/ Pasta

Vegetables - Carrots & Broccoli, Mixed Veggies w/ Mustard seed, fried slice Potato w/ Herbs and of course stemed rice

Cheese Plate

Strawberry Cheese Cake

Bread Selection

And just so you could waddle off the plane, a

REFRESHMENT was served:

Health Drink & Juices, Fresh Fruits, Bakery Selection

The FA asked me if I was interested and I ,as did all the passengers, refused this service.

The food was again quite tasty on this sector. I must have been served 15 hot and cold towels between EWR and KUL.

Oh, almost forgot......

THE BOOZE SELECTION

The aforementioned Dom Perignon 1996 which was not in short supply
or
Billecart-Salmon Blancs Champagne 1997

Robert Mondavi Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 1998
or
Louis Bernard Cote Rotie 2000

Stonegate Chardonnay 2000 (Napa)
or
Chateau Chantegrive Cuvee Caroline 2001

Seven types of teas and six different coffees were also on offer.

Spent the night at the Pan Pacific KUL airport hotel. Rooms were a bit tired but so was I. Got to bed around 2am after a few hours in the hotel bar listening to a Filipino girl band. Everyone in the bar said I was making a big mistake going to Thailand and not seeing Malaysia. Seems its a safer place to visit and cheap as well as scenic.

Checked-in for the 10am flight to BKK around 8am on April 8th. KUL is a very modern and clean facility. Visited the MH Lounge and was allowed to use the FC side since we arrived the previous night in F. A huge breakfast buffet was set up with more than one could imagine of breakfast and non-breakfast items. I managed a few bites but left the starched white table cloth soiled with eggs and chili paste.

The flight to BKK was on an A-330 which took 1:45 min. I did not keep the menu but a Brunch was served in Biz. class. Three selections were offered and again served from the cart. No F on these flights. Seats were comfy enough for the short sector.

Arrived on time to BKK and stayed for 3 nights at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. Even got UGed to a nice suite....all for $45 and 2800 starwood pts. a night!

I'll post the return trip later......

Last edited by MileTex; Apr 19, 2004 at 9:48 pm
Old Apr 19, 2004, 11:12 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Nice report. I don't think dietary laws are the reason for there
being no nuts served with the booze ... as far as I know, nuts
are halal, but Dom ain't.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 2:07 pm

Programs: LH FTL, Marriott Plat
Thumbs up Great report!

I enjoyed reading your report. Especially the food on MH sounds delicious. As they´re now also flying from Vienna, I´ll possibly try them on my next flight to Asia.

Greetings from Austria,
Tom
Old Apr 20, 2004, 4:26 pm

I was salavating reading your menu. This has to be one of the finest first class menu selections that I have seen.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 5:24 pm

This is one of the finest menus I have seen in first class. Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2004, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

The return......

April 12, 2004
MH 783C BKK-KUL A-330
1:45 Flying Time

Checked in 3 hrs. before departure and was given a pass to the Thai Executive Class lounge. Tried to fanagle a First Class lounge invitation but no dice. Lounge was spacious with a few snacks and the usual array of drinks. Went to the gate 40 mins. before departure and we boarded about 10 mins. prior to departure. We were maybe 15 mins. late leaving BKK.
The menu was as follows:

DINNER
Seasonal Salad

Chili Basil Prawn
or
Salmon Dill Cream Sauce
or
Tofu Parcel

Pear Cake

Bread Selection

Food was OK. Again service from the trolley. Landed on time into KUL and went to the FC MH Lounge. There one could have dinner from the buffet. Again a huge spread was on offer. Seemingly almost twice as much as the CX's Wing offers. Had a few bites as I knew another dinner would be served enroute to DXB....the 3rd dinner tonight.

MH# 90F KUL-DXB 777-200
April 12, 2004
6:45 Flying Time
Went to the gate again 40 minutes prior to the 10pm departure. They were checking passports at the gate after security. This flight was totally jammed. This plane, as mentioned before, had the AVOD system and larger video screens. Otherwise it was basically the same equip. as the flight down from EWR. I tried to stay awake as long as possible as I knew I was facing a horribly long flight out of DXB. So I did partake of dinner #3.....

SUPPER

Malaysian Satay

Hors d'oeuvre Deluxe - Smoked chicken w/ pineapple salad, Smoked Salmon, & Artichoke Heart w/ Goat cheese

Choice of Soup - Cream of Cauliflower or Chicken Consomme

Baked Lobster Au Gratin - w/ spicy mango & cucumber salsa
or
Specialty of the Week - A white fish w/ a cream sauce as I remember
or
Beef Oriental
or
Gnocci Pimentos

Vegetables - Carrots & Zucchini, Chunky Asian Ratatouille, Anna Potatoes & Steamed Rice

Fresh Fruits

Bread Selection

and 2 hrs. out of DXB....

REFRESHMENT

Hot Savouries- Seafood skewer w/ Dill Cream Sauce, Chicken Black Pepper Tart and Red Capsicum Quiche

No one even bothered to take part in the refreshments.

Was again stuffed after the first small feast. Since its called Supper, I guess that way they can eliminate the caviar and dessert course...as if I missed it. Arrived 10 minutes early into DXB. This time we had like 40 mins. to shop. We were even told we could use the lounge. Was a long way away but went anyway. Forgot the name of the lounge but it was nice. Nice selection of food and drinks. Decided to head back to the gate some 30 mins. prior to departure, which was a mistake. Got to the gate and there was a huge line for security at the gate. There was only one X-ray machine and they were taking their time with everyone. I was getting a bit nervous as the line was barely moving and it was 10 mins to departure. There was still like 70 -80 people behind me so I wasn't too worried I guess. I boarded about 40 mins. after the sked. dep. time and it was probably another 1:20 before everyone else boarded. So basically we were 2 hours late leaving DXB. It wasn't MH's fault at all. Just wish I'd of allowed more connecting time in EWR for my flight back to DFW. At least AA has several flights a day between those two cities

MH# 90 F (cont'd) DXB - EWR 777-200
April 13, 2004
14:00 Flying Time

Again this flight was totally jammed. I think there was 1 seat empty in F and none anywhere else in the plane. They did make announcements about not standing in the galleys and remaining in your own class of service. This was never mentioned on any other flight so I guess it only applies to flights headed to the US. I did go to the back to talk to two friends and after 20 mins. the steward told me because of security I had to go back to F. At least he was nicer than AA was about it.

Its now 5:00 am DXB time so I guess it would be time for

SUPPER #4

Assorted Hot savouries - Deep fried prawns w/ Spring Roll skin, Spicy meat ball w/ Chilli Sauce, Breaded Chicken Escallope and Vegetable Pizza

Hors d'oeuvre deluxe - Marinated prawns, smoked beef & cucumber Cup w/ Asparagus

Soup - Clear Prawn & Coriander or Cream of Tomato

Baked Herb Lobster w/ Cream & Paprika
or
Lamb Kashmiri
or
Stir Fried Chicken Oriental
or
Mushroom Tortellini

Veggies - Spicy Aubergine & Carrots, Broccoli, Duchess Potato, Steamed Rice

Fresh Fruits

Bread Selection

no dessert again ......then the Skysnax trolley was set up in the galley.

Again, 2 1/2 hrs. out of EWR another lite

BREAKFAST was served:

Health Drink & Fresh Fruit Juices

Fresh Fruits

Yoghurt

Tomato & Cheese Omelette
or
Nasi Lemak - a Malay Dish w/ rice, prawn, cucumber, eggs, Peanuts, and Anchovies
or
Mixed Grill - Steak, sausage, & Lamb
or
Thick French Toast - filled with Apple & Raisin & served w/ Vanilla sauce....delicious

Veggies - Sauteed Mushrooms, Grilled Tomato, Sauteed French Beans, Roesti Potatoes

Bakery Selection

And thats all Folks ! They def. don't let you go hungry on MH. Really enjoyed the flights except for the seats. Can't wait to try them when they finally get those refitted. The flight from DXB was about 12 hours of daylight and since we arrived EWR at 10:45am I got another 8 or 9 hours additional daylight. Maybe thats why I'm still jet lagged.

Hope that sheds some info on MH's First Class service. Any questions???....just ask
Old Apr 21, 2004, 12:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Great report! Food quantity is definitely not an issue with MH -- even in business class (I flew them LHR-KUL-SIN-KUL-NRT last month) -- the the lounge at KUL, especially the First side, is outstanding!

Steve
Old Apr 21, 2004, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Did you take a picture of the lavatory?

Originally Posted by MileTex
undefined
The most odd thing though was the toilet also contained a bidet. Does any other airline have a bidet in the restrooms?
Very interesting. Did you take a picture of the lavatory? I haven't seen a bidet in the newer a/c of BA, AA, CX and QF even in the FC cabins.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 2:37 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Excellent report... ^
Old Apr 23, 2004, 4:54 am

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
Thumbs up

Thanks for the WONDERFUL, comprehensive report. My partner and I are taking those exact flites June 25/6 and July 10 in F RT, though we're connecting to a flite to Kota Kinabalu 11:50 PM out of KUL, and catching the BKK leg on the 30th. We struggled for quite some time over MH vs ANA, and decided the seats were the only down side of MH.

We were wondering about the load on the planes, with thoughts of moving from first to a row across in coach when we were ready to sleep. did you get any sense of whether coach was equally crowded, and if the FA's would have let you meander to the back? Also, were the movies curent, with what sort of offerings? (50 hours of flying time, even with naps, calls for plenty of movie watching, and the MH website is singularly unhelpful in providing IFE info.)

Sounds like DF shopping in DBX wasn't on your agenda.... we'd hoped to spend the time in the shops, though maybe if we too are delayed, we'll check out the lounge.

Any other pointers? Again, thanks for giving us what almost feels like a preview trip two months in advance!

Steve
Old Apr 23, 2004, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve007NY
Thanks for the WONDERFUL, comprehensive report. My partner and I are taking those exact flites June 25/6 and July 10 in F RT, though we're connecting to a flite to Kota Kinabalu 11:50 PM out of KUL, and catching the BKK leg on the 30th. We struggled for quite some time over MH vs ANA, and decided the seats were the only down side of MH.

We were wondering about the load on the planes, with thoughts of moving from first to a row across in coach when we were ready to sleep. did you get any sense of whether coach was equally crowded, and if the FA's would have let you meander to the back? Also, were the movies curent, with what sort of offerings? (50 hours of flying time, even with naps, calls for plenty of movie watching, and the MH website is singularly unhelpful in providing IFE info.)

Sounds like DF shopping in DBX wasn't on your agenda.... we'd hoped to spend the time in the shops, though maybe if we too are delayed, we'll check out the lounge.

Any other pointers? Again, thanks for giving us what almost feels like a preview trip two months in advance!

Steve

The flight from EWR - DXB was fairly empty. 5 in F 30% in C and 50% if not less in Y. DXB - KUL was 4 in F, 60% in C and still 50% in Y. I walked several times back to Y and the FAs were OK with my tour of the plane. I'm sure you could have snagged a row of seats to sleep on if you so desired. The flight on the way back was totally jammed in all cabins. Plus on the DXB-EWR leg they were enforcing the no congregating rules and I was told I needed to go back to F when I was talking to my friends in Y.

The movies were OK. Probably 3 - 4 months old. DF in DXB was nice but after 4 days of shopping in Thailand that was the last thing I needed on the way back to EWR.

Suggestions: Bring your own other airline supplied PJs. Really helps on those 12 - 14 hr. stretches. Also bring your own NC headphones. Would have been an even longer flight without those.

Hope you all have a great trip!
Old Apr 23, 2004, 8:13 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
I was thinking about booking this very flight in F just yesterday - so your report was very timely. Thank you.

I'm wondering how the seats compare w the 747-400 out of LAX. An acquaintance of mine is a F/A w MH and says that the 747 is better...???

Mebbe someone can offer some comparison advise...???
Old Apr 23, 2004, 2:37 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Steve007NY - Where are you staying in Kota Kinabalu and have you been before ?. Been to Sabah last 3 New Years, fantastic place ^
Old Apr 23, 2004, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
We were torn between staying at the Rasa Ria vs. the Tanjung Arun Shangri Las....opted for the latter so we can shop for art (we already have a fair collection of work from Sepic River, etc) and just shuttle over to the Rasa Ria one day., However, still TRULY open for suggestions!

Steve
Old Apr 23, 2004, 8:01 pm

Thanks very much for the great detail... the flight from KUL to EWR via DXB sounds soooo long....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.