Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Trip to Taipei - DUS-FRA-NRT-TPE-HKG-FRA-DUS on NH/UA/TG/LH)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2004, 2:46 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

In this trip report I will describe my trip in the time 08th April – 14th April to Taipei flying Business Class of All Nippon Airways, United Airlines, Thai Airlines and Lufthansa on the route DUS – (LH) –FRA – (NH) – NRT – (UA) – TPE – (TG) – HKG – (LH) – FRA – (LH) – DUS.

The report will be part work, as I do not know how fast this report could be written, as I have to prepare something for work next week.

Since I read the trip reports in this forums, especially these “Haute Volée Reports” of LH 738, B Watson, Seat 2A and tfung, I put some of my effort in flying a complete trip in at least Business Class. O.K., this is not First Class, but there has to be something to be reached later .And also this is my first whole international trip in Business Class, up to now, I only had one international Business Class flight (as upgrade) and some domestic and intra European Business Class flights. Some years ago, it also would have been okay to get a free flight in Economy, but after I find flyertalk and after I used this forum to get and give information, I discover the whole world of the classes in the front of the plane. Also, some of my colleagues (and some friends) now understand why I collect miles and choose Lufthansa over the car or Deutsche Bahn to get to Frankfurt, Berlin or Stuttgart to visit friends, as I show them pictures of the Business Class of NH. Being not in a position where I have the possibilities to fly during Business Travels (which is nearly all the time only intra the state of Nordrhein Westfalen as I be civil servant) it is always hard to explain why someone like me is a Frequent Traveller or participates in a Guest Program of a hotel company. On the other side, some of my colleagues and friends had the opportunity to participate of my FTL Status and the Gold status of SPG, but will never understand it. They choose a budget hotel instead of a Sheraton, because it just a place to sleep – not so in my eyes.
But I become is a little bit off topic ….

Part I
Introduction

In midsummer 2003 the girlfriend of a school friend of me told me, that she will work in Taipei as part of her graduation (“Staatsexamen”) for four month from January to April 2004. She asked me - knowing me as someone who likes flying – about the baggage allowance and possibilities to have more luggage than the 20 kg limit / per person. On the flight to TPE in the End of December her boy friend travels only with hand luggage, staying only five days with her in Taipei, but on the way back, it would be more difficult to get more than 50 kg of luggage home. Having not been in Taipei, I decided, that I fly to Taipei and take one of her suitcases with me. So it worked out, that I will fly to TPE during Easter.

So I booked an Award ticket DUS – FRA – NRT – TPE – HKG – FRA – DUS on All Nippon Airways and United Airlines to TPE and Thai Airways and Lufthansa on the way back; and I took the whole trip in Business as I wanted to try the New Business of ANA, having read some comments about this product here in the forum.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Apr 16, 2004 at 2:54 am Reason: wrong spelling
Old Apr 16, 2004, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Part II DUS - FRA

Part II
Düsseldorf - Frankfurt

Düsseldorf International

My friend brought me to the airport two hours prior to departure, as the tickets needed to be issued by the ground staff of Lufthansa. I had to wait there some minutes, as a flight to Prague was cancelled and some passengers had to rebook their flights. After I get my tickets with some problems as the etix was booked to a Miles & More Credit Card which was not valid any more, I said Good Bye to my friend and went to the Business Class Counter and checked in. I asked about a window seat in the Upper deck on the segment to NRT which was possible. So I have my first ever seat in the Upper deck on a 744. The boarding pass for the segment NRT – TPE could not bee issued, but the luggage was checked trough to TPE and marked with a priority sticker.

The security check (Business class) took some minutes; my luggage was hand checked.

I headed to the Lufthansa Business Class Lounge / Frequent Traveller Lounge, which was half full. I drank some mineral water and took as usual “Neue Zürcher Zeitung” for the following flight (the format is easier to read in a plane).

Some minutes after the printed boarding time on my boarding pass, I went to the gate A 80.

08 April 2004
DUS – FRA
[Düsseldorf – Frankfurt]
LH 813 (Lufthansa); Boeing 737 – 300
18.05 – 19.00
Business Class
Seat 6 A

Boarding was in time and had just started as I reached the gate.

The plane was half full; since the change of the timetable End of March, the middle seat in National and European flights in Business Class remain empty, which gives the passengers more space. Also this is only a small change (and also discussed in this forum); I like this change, as you could use the table of the middle seat and the seat itself and read or work without problems.

During take off the curtain between Business Class and Economy Class stayed open as usual, but was closed soon after the seat belt sign switched off.

Shortly after take off, the snack boxes were delivered and the beverage service started. The snack box contains two small sausages, a Krautsalat, a small cake and a roll. The beverage service soon followed and the service was efficient and fast on this short 30 minutes flight to Frankfurt.

The flight was uneventful but sometimes a little bit bumpy. I had a good view on Limburg cathedral before we began our final descent to Frankfurt.

We landed just in time at Frankfurt Airport, no delay or anything else. This time no parking position on the tarmac, we had a gate position on Terminal A
Old Apr 16, 2004, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Part III FRA - NRT

Part III
Frankfurt - Tokyo

Frankfurt Rhein-Main

This time, we had a gate in the A 40 ‘s – I do not remember the exact Gate number any more – and it was a long way to the tunnel to terminal B.

After I passed security and customs without problems and nobody in front of me, I went to the Business Class Lounge / Frequent Traveller Lounge near my Gate B 42 in Terminal 1 B. The Lounge was this time very full. I spend the time by relaxing, drank some tea, eat some cookies and read “Die Zeit”. I leave the Lounge at 20.00 (five minutes prior to boarding time) and went to the gate to find this place crowed with passengers. Boarding had not started, but the announcement was made some minutes later.

08 April 2004
FRA – NRT
[Frankfurt – Tokyo Narita]
NH 210 (All Nippon Airways); Boeing 747 – 400
20.35 – 14.40[ 20.40 – 14.30 ]
Business Class
Seat 83 A

Boarding began 20.10 with First Class / Business Class / Star Gold and families and then by row numbers.

I was one of the first passengers boarding the plane and greeted by a female flight attendant. I continued my way to the stairs to the upper deck. And there it was the feeling of something new, the Upper deck of a 747 – 400.

After I reached the Upper Deck I was greeted by another flight attendant. Seat 83 A was the window seat in the last row of the left side and I put my carry on in the overhead bin. My jacket was taken by another flight attendant just after I put if off. Impressed by this service, I discovered the functions of my seat. During I do this, a flight attendant asked me, if I need a cardigan for the flight and gave me one.

Also the menus were distributed. I do not remember, if pre departure drinks were offered; at least I did not drink anything on the ground.

Once airborne, there was a hot towel service, soon followed by a drink service (I started with water). Some minutes later, the flight attendants asked about my choice for dinner.

The tables was laid with table cloth and the knife was only a plastic one.

Frankfurt – Tokyo

A la carte

Light, easy, uncomplicated dining. Choose the dishes that catch your Imagination and each will be plated on board, producing a freshness and taste not unlike a fine restaurant dining experience. Naturally, we also offer a tempting range of fine wine and sake for your consideration.

Charr and vegetable aspic terrine with fennel salad

Warm duck aumônière with prune sauce

Fresh garden salad with lyo-mandarin dressing

Beef tenderloin with morel mushroom sauce [394kcal]

Pan-fried sea bass Provengal with anchovy sauce [500 kcal]

Gazpacho of pan-roasted vegetables [214 kcal]

Two kinds of bread with a choice of dairy butter or extra-virgin olive oil

Apple and cottage cheese Strudel with raspberry coulis

Warm apple custard cake with vanilla ice cream

Fresh seasonal fruit

or

Kaiseki course
Savor the refinement of classical Japanese cuisine. Our master chef selects nature's finest, freshest ingredients to create a menu that evokes the essence of the season. A choice of hand-crafted sake perfectly complements this special dining experience.

Zensai
Simmered prawn
Salmon roll
Braised duck breast
Stewed konbu (kelp)
Anago (conger eel) omelette
Honeyed red Japanese plum

Kobachi
Savory steamed egg custard with chicken and seafood

Dainomono
Baked sea bass with mashed potatoes
Octopus ragoüt

Sunomono
Deep-fried salmon marinated in red pepper soy dressing

Mixed rice with bamboo shoots, miso soup, assorted pickles

Dessert
your choice of one oft he following

Apple and cottage cheese Strudel with raspberry coulis

Warm apple custard cake with vanilla ice cream

Fresh seasonal fruit

Green tea

Wine List
Champagne
Philipponnat Le Reflet

White Wine
Bourgogne Blanc Chardonnay Vieilli en Fût de Chêne Labouré-Roi Collection 2002 (Bourgogne, France)

Braunberger Juffer Riesling Spätlese 2002 (Moselland, Germany)

Red Wine
Diane de Belgrave 2000 (Bordeaux, France)

Bourgogne Pinot Noir Le Vignes Rouges 2001 (Bourgogne, France)

Japanese Sake

Special Junmai Tsukasa-botan Senchu-hassaku (kochi)

I had the “A la Carte” Dinner and took first the duck, which tasted very good. Also not in style, I choose the Bourgogne Blance; but I prefer in a plane a white wine over a red wine. The Beef, I choose as main course, was good, but partly a bit dry. The Portion was not very large. The dessert tasted very good an were in my eyes the best part of the menu.

Refills of wine were frequently offered, but I had only to glasses of wine as I do not drink very much and especially not in a plane.

I like, that all course were served individually, so that one had not to eat fast or had to wait up to the next course was served. One was individually served by the flight attendants, who were friendly and efficient in working. There were three flight attendants working in the upper deck. Something quite different to a flight in Business Class of Lufthansa some years ago and also something quite different to many of my Economy flights in the past years. So must be a flight every time, but this would be – to me – a dream.

I had a coffee after my desert and began to discover the Entertainment system. But – it does not work, as there were several problems. Being not the first person noticing that malfunction, as at the same time I discovered the malfunction a call was made, that the Entertainment System had to be restarted in some minutes. Meanwhile, I play with the function of my seat (I do not know why, but to me it is always nice to press buttons and everything is operated electric). The seat is quite impressive and the nearly flat position could be nice, but I prefer a position like a “Z”. And I do not find a position, which I were convenient to me, also I missed the food rest. But on the other side, I like the massage function of the seat. Also, I think, I have not discovered all possible functions at this seat, so I would not say, that the seat is not good.

But I get a couple of sleep – something about two hours. I wake up only twice. This is very good, as I normally could not sleep on planes; so the seat was not as bad as I might have thought first. After this time, went downstairs, to have a look at the snack bar and drink some water. Also I had some words with one flight attendants downstairs. She told me, that the flight was nearly full and asked me, if everything was o.k. and if it was my first flight with ANA (yes) and if I stay in Tokyo or connect to another city in Japan (No). I told her, that I will connect to Taipei with United. She told me then, that I had to change terminals (which I know thank flyertalk) and that there was a Star Alliance Bus running just beside the arrival gate of this flight and opposite the Start Alliance Transfer Counter, where I get a voucher for this bus.

I again went upstairs and start the Entertainment system. This system is impressive. The AVOD system is fantastic, as you could decide a which time you want to see the film. But for someone like me, who is not familiar to this system, is something difficult to operate in the first minutes. But after some minutes, I find the feature I was looking for.

I skipped the snacks, which were available during the night, as I was not hungry and prefer to hear some music. The thoughtful flight attendants noticed, when the bottle of water, they distributed after dinner, was empty and brought me a new one.

I do not remember the exact time, but round about three hours prior to landing, the next meal were served

Petite International course

Spanish omelette with baked tomato

bread roll

Fresh seasonal fruit

or

Petite Japanese course

Grilled cod with yuzu citron soy sauce and assorted delicacies

Steamed rice

Fresh seasonal fruit

The omelette tasted good and the flight attendants made several rounds offerings warm rolls and croissants and refills of coffee and tea.

I visited the lavatories to refresh myself.

After we reached Japan, the cabin crew began to prepare the cabin for landing and gave back the jackets and coats. A little surprise to me, that they did not collect the headphones.

We landed in Narita a little bit before scheduled time. Being in the upper deck, we could disembark through the second door (if I remember correctly). In the terminal I head to the Transfer counter, where I get the gate number for my following flight and a voucher for the bus. After passing a security screening I headed for the waiting bus, which soon drives on after I boarded it.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 5:27 am

very good so far. ^
Old Apr 16, 2004, 6:40 am

This is and INCREDIBLE report for your first time. Thanks for the in depth view of ANA's business class. I also will be travelling ANA next week and will be writing a report of its transpacific first class service. THANKS
Old Apr 16, 2004, 9:50 am

Programs: LH FTL, Marriott Plat
Congratulations!

Great report!

I´m jealous!
Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to fly international business-class so far. But I´m just 19. So there´s still hope... With the new LH Miles and More upgrade rules it´s even more difficult for me, as I´m always flying on cheap tickets. We´ll see...

Greetings, Tom
Old Apr 17, 2004, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Narita Airport

Part IV
Tokyo – Taipei

Tokyo Narita Airport

In the Terminal I headed to the Red Carpet Club, where I could check in and get my boarding pass for the next flight – and again was able to catch a window seat in the Upper deck. The Red Carpet Club is very large and has also a number of showers. I sign the shower list and get a pager. After only four (!) minutes, I was paged and took a refreshing shower. The shower facilities were large, also I missed more hooks to hang my clothes on. The hairdryer was something slow and not really warm; the soap, foam and lotion was by Molton Brown. All in all a nice refreshing shower in a nice and large shower cabin.

The Lounge itself was full, and I could only get a seat in the window section, which was very hot due to the sun but offer some fantastic vies to the tarmac and the starting and landing planes. But after some US bound flight leave NRT, the lounge became empty and I could change get a seat in another part of the lounge. The food section was not very big, only some cookies, but I still was not hungry, so nothing to worry about.

After my flight was called, I headed to Gate 35, where the boarding process just had started.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 4:52 am
Original Poster

The Flight

09 April 2004
NRT – TPE
[Tokyo – Taipei]
UA 853 (United Airways); Boeing 747 – 400
18.35 – 21.00[ 18.40 – 21.00 ]
Business Class
Seat 17 A

I took the Business Class Door and passes the Business Class Cabin to reach the stairs to get to the upper deck. A male flight attendant greeted me and took my jacket. This time, he wanted to have my boarding pass to mark my jacket, while the ANA crew does not need it.

I am not sure, but on the ground champagne and orange juice were offered. I again discovered the functions of the seat. Also this seat was manually operated, I find my favourite position at once – and this seat had a food rest.

The menus and the immigration forms were distributed. The seat beside me remains empty; the space in front of my seat was larger than on the inbound flight with NH. I began to fill out the immigration forms during Economy class boarded the plane.

Soon airborne, the male flight attendant asked for my choice of menu while his female colleague started the beverage service.

To Begin

Smoked salmon with capers and fresh lemon
Mesclun salad with Asian-style dressing

Main Course

Sautéed veal Zurichoise with a mushroom cream sauce
Pumpkin gnocchi pasta with tomato fondue and Parmesan cheese

Five-Spice smoked breast of chicken with chicken jus
Egg fried rice and broccoli flortes

Deep-fried silver cod with soy mirin sauce
Gingko nut, shimeji mushrooms and hanagata rice with sesame seeds

Dessert

Tropical sorbet medley
Orange, mango and raspberry flavored

Whine List
Champagne
Brut, Pol Roger NV

Grande Réserve, Baron Fueute NV

White Wine
Louis Latour Saint Véran “Les Deux Moulins” 2000, Chardonnay

Léon Beyer Alsace 2002, Pinot Blanc

Rutherford Ranch Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2001

Concha y Toro Casillero del Diablo Chardonnay 2002

Red Wine
E. Guigal Côtes-du-Rhône 2001

Château Escales Corbières 2001, Grenachs Syray Carignan

Baron Philippe de Rothshild Maipo Valley Escudo Rojo 2002

Lambert Bridge Sonoma Country Merlot 2000

The tables were laid after the beverage service was finished, again I only get a plastic knife and I have several difficulties to cut the chicken with this dull knife. The salad was fresh and tasted very good, but one should have written caper instead of capers, as I only had one. I choose the “Five-Spice smoked breast of chicken” as main course and again had chosen a white wine – the alsacienne Pinot Blanc – instead a red wine. The beef was tough and the broccoli somewhat hard, as if it was cooked to short. The dessert was a tasty sorbet and in my eyes again the best part of the menu. After I finished the coffee after my dessert, I tried to get some more sleep.

I woke up, after another hour of sleep and we soon began our approach to TPE after this short three hours flight; Taipei is one hour after Tokyo time. Our jackets were handed out and I prepare myself for passing immigration and changing EUR to TWD by putting this in the inner pocket of my jacket.

The flight was a little bit bumpy, but the seatbelt sign was not switched on during the flight. The crew was friendly and attentive. Their work was good and they do a very good job. Although on this flight, only two flight attendants served the upper deck – on the ANA Flight there was one flight attendant more – one had not the impression, that they had not everything under control. The only thing one could mention it the fact, that they made less rounds in the cabin after the dinner service was finished. Having read some worse comments about United crews, this was a good one.

We landed in Taipei just at the scheduled time and I was one of the first persons leaving the plane.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Taipei - CKS Airport

Part V
Taipei – the Arrival

Taipei Chiang Kai Shek

As our arrival gate C 9 – if I remember correct – was far away from the main building it was quite a long walk to it. One had first to pass a medical check, where an infrared camera shows the temperature of each passenger on a screen. Before I passed immigration, I changed money, which took me only 90 seconds, so the big passenger crowd of the plane had not yet reached the immigration hall, as I had passed it and could go the belt area. My friend brought me from his visit to Taiwan a very helpful information sheet and the homepage is also very helpful.

The belt had just started and – hooray – my trolley was the second one. I took the luggage and headed through customs without any problem (I did not want to think about the fact, that I had my second piece of hand luggage in this luggage and to explain this fact to a customs officer).

Two days before I start the trip, I thought that I could also book a limousine transfer offered by the hotel instead of taking a taxi, which would nearly cost the same, as my friend in Taipei e-mailed me. I did not want to take one of the public busses, as I was tired and not in the mood of a long ride in a bus. The Limousine service offered by the Sheraton hotel was TWD 1800. So I looked for sign with my name and find it after some search right hand side. The Sheraton Airport representative greeted me and called the driver. She took my trolley and we headed outside. Soon the Lexus LS 430 arrived.

The car was fond oriented equipped with two electric adjustable single seats in the fond with massage function. A very silent and comfortable car and as I could judge after the transfer as good and comfortable as a 7er Series BMW or a S-Class Mercedes. Our drive back to the hotel took us round about 55 minutes due to heavy traffic in the suburbs of Taipei – CKS airport is a couple of kilometres outside the city of Taipei.

But I must say, the people in Taipei drive in the same chaotic way, than the Italian does.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

The Sheraton Hotel in Taipei

Part VI
Taipei Sheraton Hotel

The hotel is undergoing renovation and the left wing (with the atrium) is undergoing this renovation in the moment, while the right wing is followed later on. So the lobby is in the moment somewhat small and temporarily right hand side.

I get a room to the front side on the SPG floor in the 15th floor, which was big. Although a little bit worn out, it was very comfortable; only the bed was hard. There was an internet connection, which I could not use because my equipment (Psion) does not fit (and unfortunately I also have problem with the roaming partner of my German mobile phone company E-Plus, so I cannot send E-Mails). The fruit basket was refilled every day, but I only get complimentary water in the first two days.

In the moment, due to the renovation, one could not see satellite channels like CNN or DWTV and get only Chinese News Channels and an English Speaking Sport Channel, but one could hear the tone of CNN on the radio, which is little bit funny.

As I entered the room for the first time and looked outside, I saw the big illuminated Sheraton Sing just in front of my window. But it was turned off every day at 11 pm and the curtain was very dark, so this was not a problem.

I get a copy of the China Post – a Taiwanese English Newspaper – every morning at 6.45 a.m..

The bathroom with bath was normal, the amenities were refilled every day.

To reach the Executive Club and the Gym on the 17th floor, one had to go first to the 5th floor and went to the opposite side of the hotel and change elevators to reach the 17th floor.

The Gym is well equipped, not modern, but usable without problems. I used it in the evening, for an hour and it was not very crowed. The gym is open 6.00 am to 9.00 pm.

The pool was closed up to the morning of the 13th April; I visited it Tuesday morning at 6.30 a.m., but the water was cold and I just had some lanes and returned to my room. The pool is open 6.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m. (?).

Buffet Breakfast was served in the Executive Club every day in the time 7.00 am – 10.00 a.m..

Nevertheless I enjoyed my stay in the Sheraton, as the hotel is located near the main station and only 50 meters to an MRT station (Shandao Temple Station).

Normally I change my hotel after every second night and I had thought about to stay also in the Four Points and the Westin, but due to some information I get by kawoh and other flyertalkers and the fact, that I want to meat my friend I decided against it.

Kawoh stayed in the hotel the same time, but as I had several problems to download E-Mails to my psion using my mobile phone so I could not send him a message, and unfortunately I missed him.

I have posted some photos of the hotel
Old Apr 17, 2004, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Taipei - my visit there and some links

Part VII
The City of Taipei

My friend was staying during the weekend outside of Taipei and we wanted to meet on Monday morning at 10.00 a.m.. I get several information by the Taiwanese Tourism Bureau and the office in Germay.

To travel in Taipei, one could best use the MRT and buses. In the MRT one could buy a single day ticket or choose a value card, which has a discount of 20% and is rechargeable. Also it could be given back at the information desk in every station and one gets paid back the rest of the value; several information about the MRT and the point of interest near every single MRT Station are available in the MRT Station. The MRT is very clean and a good way to travel in Taipei, announcements are made in English, but sometimes it is crowed.

To get a first impression, I started at Saturday with the Mitsukoshi Tower opposite the main station. It is the second highest building in Taipei and up to the finishing of “101” the highest building one could visit as Tourist.

The Provincial Museum in the Hsin Yuan Park (Park of the 28th February) is closed because it is undergoing renovation in the moment, but the park is worth a visit during the day, as it is a green place in the city. I looked after some new cameras in the photographers alley right next to the Mitsukoshi Tower, but they are not much cheaper than in Germany and as one gets only a Taiwanese Guaranty I did not bought a new one.

Then I take the MRT to Dr. Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall. There were several exhibitions, I visited, but most visible was the Changing of the Guard at every full hour. A very interesting process of military discipline.

Passing the Hyatt Hotel I headed for Taipei 101 and first had an Espresso at Lavazza in “101”. Then I visited the Shopping Mall at 101 and take several pictures of it, as I am interested in architecture. In the Souterrain of the mall are several food stall were one gets a very tasty and cheap meal. I then went to the nearby New York Mall by a covered walk way, and the two building of Shin Kong Mitsukoshi Department Stores were I finally bought a pair of Nike running shoes for half of the price I have to pay in Germany and a running Shirt of New Balance for a little bit more than half of the German price. But beside this, the most items are not cheaper than in Germany, so there is no reason to shop her (My friend told me later, that several items are available in Taiwan, which are not available in Germany, e.g. some ladies shirts of Burberry or some Todt Shoes, she bought in Taipei. Also the most items she wanted to buy she finally ended buying during a short visit in Hong Kong).

I was a little bit shocked a I take a look on my watch, meanwhile it was 8.00 p.m., so I headed back to the hotel, where I leave my camera and the bought items and went to Huaxi Street Tourist Night Market, also known as Snake Alley. The street and the neighbourhood was crowed by people, mostly Taiwanese People, but also some foreign tourist. Very interesting the snake presentations and I spend two hours in this area. As usual for such visits, I only have a small amount of money and no credit card with me, as I do not want to spend more time to look after my money than to look at the stall. Btw, the criminal rate in Taipei is not very high, it is a very safe place, but one should be aware of pickpockets.

Finally I return to the hotel at 10.45 p.m. and read the paper as I was not really tired.

On Sunday, I went to the National Palace Museum. Also it could not be reached by MRT directly and one has to take a bus, this is not really a problem, as there are some information at the MRT station Shilin which bus to take. Unfortunately the museum is undergoing a renovation, starting at the 1st April for the next two years. So only a few rooms are opened. It seems, that my stay in Taipei will be a visit of closed places and renovation. But, if you stay in Taipei, it is still worth a visit. The homepage has also information in English and German Language.

After I finished my visit in the Palace Museum, I headed back to the city and visited the National History Museum in the Botanic Garden.

Back in the hotel in the late afternoon I tried again to connect to the internet, but failed. So I went to the gym and do some exercises for the next 90 minutes.

On Monday morning I meet my friend an another friend and gave her the trolley. I get some strange views, as I leave the hotel with the luggage. We take a taxi and headed for her apartment, where she started packing her trolley. Another friend (who stayed in Taipei the same time than I does) and I headed during this time to the Baoan Temple which is very nice and on the UNESCO List. The nearby Confucius Temple and the Fine Arts Museum were closed; it is a Monday. So we phoned our friend and she told us, she had finished and we decided to meet at the main station and bring the luggage back to the hotel.

After some Sushi, we went to Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall, but it became dark and I decided to visit the hall again on Tuesday. We then went to Dingtaifung Restaurant in the Yongkang Street Area to have dinner.

After dinner, we decided to visit Shida Road Night Market, were we had a tea and Latte Macchiato before we head in direction Taipower Building Station. Finally I was back in the Sheraton at 11.00 p.m.

Tuesday Morning, I visited the reopened pool area, before I had a early breakfast at 7.20 a.m., because I meet the other friend to visit first CKS Memorial Hall again (again a nice changing of the Guard), and a very interesting exhibition about Dr. Sun Yat Sen and Chian Kai Shek. I learned something new about their life and their politics.

After the visit at CKS Memorial Hall Exhibition we headed further on to Wulai Scenic area with its hot springs and its famous Falls. Unfortunately it starts to rain on our way back to WuLai, so we waited in a coffee shop, drunk some cappuccino and went back to town after three hours in the Wulai area. My friend told me not to visit WuLai on the weekend, as it is very full during weekend.

We had decided in WuLai to visit the Taipei Fine Arts Museum. The museum offers some quite interesting view to Taiwanese Contemporary Art and is in my eyes worth a visit. Very interesting for my point of view, the fact, that some Taiwanese artist paint in the traditional Chinese Way, other paint in the European or international way. Also, there some interesting art installations and some artworks are – let’s say - strange.

We that headed again to the Confucius temple and visited it, again a nice temple (but again some part was in renovation process). Back to Guting, we meet our friend and had dinner in a Thai Restaurant.

At round about 9.00 p.m. I was back in the Sheraton and packed my own carry ons and went to bed at 10.30 after I confirmed the Limousine Service for the next morning, as I have to leave at 6.00 a.m. to go to the airport.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 6:36 am
Original Poster

the way home begins ....

Part VIII
again Chiang Kai Shek Airport

Taipei Chiang Kai Shek

The transfer to the airport, again a Lexus LS 430, took this time only 35 minutes and as it was this time early morning and in sunlight, so I get a last view to Taipei, the suburbs and the land on the way to the airport. My driver just dropped me off in front of the Thai Airways Check. I entered the terminal building and had the Check in Area of the Royal Executive Class and Star Gold Members just right hand side.

The agent at the counter checked me in for all segments, including the final segment Frankfurt – Düsseldorf and printed the boarding passes for all flights. He than gave me a lounge invitation and told me the Lounge was in the second floor (which is not quite correct, as I will notice later on).

I changed my TWD in EUR and headed to the escalator. On the way to the second floor, I noticed, that the Lounge was in the Mezzanine Floor, so back the stairs to this floor – somehow strange, that the lounge level only could be reached by stairs. The Lounge was empty, as I entered, but became full in the following hour. There were some snacks available and some beverage, but nothing special to report about, beside the fact, that the Lounge has no windows.

I leaved the lounge approximately ten minutes prior to boarding time and went to the immigration hall. It took some time to pass, because all counters were busy and several people were queuing. Our Gate A 2 was again a long distance to walk and I reached it 15 minutes after I leaved the lounge, but Boarding had not started yet.

After I spent five minutes, the boarding announcement was made and I boarded the plane.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Taipei to Hong Kong on Thai Airways

Part IX
The flight Taipei – Hong kong

14. April 2004
TPE – HKG
[Taipei – Hong Kong]
TG 609 (Thai Airways); Airbus A 300
8.30 – 10.15 [ 8.35 – 10.15 ]
Business Class
Seat 15 A

I was one of the first passengers who boarded the plane and went to my seat in the first part of the plane. I put my carry on in the overhead bin and asked a flight attendant, who passes by, if the plane was full, and she replies, that the Load in Business was less than 50 percent.

The seat beside my seat remains empty, so I had again a very spacious feeling. The flight attendants offer pre departure drinks and I decided to take glass of sparkling wine. I feel I get used to flying Business and I thought about how disillusioned it will be to fly Economy the next time…..I should think about to become a Senator as my friend “threy” recommended some time ago – also this means another person in the Senator Lounge

I got the written menu some minutes after I got my pre departure drink and also get the headphones during the Economy Class passengers were boarding the plane.

Shortly after take off, hot towels were offered and the flight attendants began to prepare the tables for breakfast. Again, the tables were laid with tablecloth, but this time no individual served menu, they used a tray.

So I had to choose

Fruit Juice
Fresh Fruits

Plain Omelet, Chicken Sausages, Grilled Half Tomato

or
[i]
Rice Noodles with Red Snapper and Black Beans

Roll, Croissant, Danish Oastry, Butter, Jam, Tea, Coffee

[i]
I had the omelette, with tasted good, but the tomato was only warm, not really grilled. But this time, we get metal knifes and could have more rolls and croissant. Also several rounds were made to offer more coffee or tea.

The service of the flight attendants was very good and efficient.

The flight time to Hong Kong is only 1.35 hours, so a short flight. Due to the low load, the crew themselves relaxed some minutes, but had always a look for needed refills of coffee, tea or juice. I do not know, if wine was available, as I do not noticed any passenger who wanted wine to this early time.

We began our approach to Chek Lap Kok and the crew does not begin to prepare for landing. We were passing some island in the Bay of Hong Kong, as only five minutes prior to lading the crew prepared the cabin for landing. I was a little bit surprised, but they were ready in only one minute, so I think they know this would not be a problem.

We touched down and to me this was the first time landing at the new airport. My last visit in Hong Kong was 1996 and this time Kai Tak was still in use. As I had a window seat I had several views to the new building and I was impressed by this oeuvre of Sir Norman Foster.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 10:17 am
Original Poster

the airport in Hong Kong

Part X
Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok Airport and the Red Carpet Club

Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok International Airport

The plane continued the flight to Phuket, but all passenger had to deboard as there was a crew change and the plane to be cleaned. I left the plane this time as one of the last Business Class Passengers just before the flight attendants let the Economy Class Passengers go to the exits. We had gate A 44, so again a little walk to the West Hall, were I had to pass security and a temperature check before I could go upstairs to the departure level.

There I headed to the Red Carpet Club near Gate 60. I do not know, if I could use another lounge as Business Class flying FTL, but I know this is the Lounge Lufthansa has marked as lounge for their Business Class passengers.

There were also a member of the LH ground staff sitting at the desk who had a look at my ticket and asked if I would like to have a window seat instead of my aisle seat as the flight was not full in Business Class. I agreed and so she writes another Seat number on the boarding pass.

The Red Carpet Club is very nice, a large number of seats and a nice view to the Northwest (direction, not the airline ) Concourse and the tarmac as the lounge is open with a gallery to the concourse. A huge selection of international newspapers and magazines were available and also some finger food. The Beverage selection was normal, I choose a Soda Water and read some magazines, I do not get in Europe and just relaxed.

By the way, there was some passenger in the Lounge with stickers of United on their shirts. I have not seen this before; is this something (or someone) special ?

At high noon I left the lounge to have some views in the shops at the airport and arrived at Gate 41 at 12.15. Boarding had just started.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 10:20 am
Original Poster

the Old Business Class of Lufthansa (HKG - FRA)

Part XI
Hong Kong to Frankfurt in the Old Business Class of Lufthansa

14. April 2004
HKG – FRA
[Hong Kong – Frankfurt
LH 739 (Lufthansa); Boeing 747 – 400
12.45 – 18.35 [ 12.45 – 18.30 ]
Business Class
Seat 11 K

I put my trolley in the overhead bin and my other piece of hand luggage under the seat in front of me. The seat beside me was occupied by another man, but the row in front of us remained empty. So I decided just after the call “boarding completed” was made to change in row 10 and occupied both seats. I took the window seat during take off, because I hoped to get some nice views on Hong Kong Island, Kowloon and the islands. As far as I could see, there were several new buildings on Hong Kong Island since my last visit and some places looked really different. In this moment, I decided to visit Hong Kong again in the near future.

Round about ten minutes after take off, hot towels were given and the beverage service started and I had a look in my menu, as the crew began to prepare the tables for lunch

Hors d’oeuvre

Nicoise Salad
with Quail Eggs and Parmesan Cheese

Roasted Breast of Duck with Plum Coulis
served with Water Chestnut and Melon Salad

Salad

Seasonal Greens
presented with Dressing

Bread, Rolls and Butter

Entrees

Salmon with curried Vegetable Crust,
Champagne Sauce and Pearl Barley

Grilled Tenderloin of beef
accompanied by Green Peppercorn Sauce, Sugar Snap Peas and Potatoes au Gratin

Linguine with Watercress
Accented by Walnut Parsley Butter

Cheese and Dessert

Danish Blue, Brie and Emmental Cheese

Apricot Lemon Almond Tart

Fresh Fruit Salad

Wine List

Champagne
Duval Leroy Fleur de Champagne Brut, France

Jacquart Brut Mosaique, Champagne, France

White Wine
2002 “Sonnenwind” Riesling Spätlese trocken, Weingut Motzenbäcker, Palantine, Germany

2002 Central Valley Chardonnay, Santa Helena, Chile

Red Wine
2000 Château Reysson, Cru Bourgeois, France

2001 Sangiovese di Romagna Riserva, Italy

The menu was served form a trolley, but on the other side one got a real metal knife.

I started with Roasted Breast of Duck, which tasted very good. Again I choose a White Wine for lunch, this time the Chilean Chardonnay. I liked the refreshing acidity of this sort of wine, also on the ground I would have preferred a red one. The tenderloin beef, I had as Entrée was again a good choice, as it was excellent. For dessert, I choose the Apricot Lemon Almond Tart, which was small but very tasty, so I take another one, as the tea and coffee service started – and I think several other passengers took another one.

After the service has finished I switched to the aisle seat as the passenger in front of me levelled his seat to sleep. I myself began do discover the seat. This was the old Business Class, so a manually operated seat similar to this of United. I get a very comfy position and again I liked the footrest of the seat. But the legroom was very small, so I think if Business is full, it could be worse.

The crew was very friendly and very relaxed; normally four flight attendants were serving the Business Class and they do a good job. In the first part of the cabin were during the flight juice, water and wine available, also coffee and tea.

The video and audio selection was normal, I watched some films and heard some music; but the most time I read some magazines and just relaxed.

The flight was in the first part very bumpy and several times the seat belt signs were switched on. But time passes by and round about 90 minutes – I am not quite sure about the exact time, as I did not make notices – prior to arrival the dinner service started after hot towels were offered to the passenger again. The tables were laid with tablecloth.

Salad
Garden Salad served with Dressing

Roll and Butter

Entrees

Grilled Breast of Chicken and Arugula

Grouper and Zucchini on Lemon Gras Skewer

Dessert

Seasonal Fresh Fruit

This time I choose the Grouper, which was very soft and tasted delicious, the Lemon Gras Skewer gave a touch to lemon to the fish and is was very good meal. I had the Chilean White Wine with the fish.

The crew prepared everything for landing, but did not notice, that the seat of some passengers were not in an upright position and the video screen still outside.

The rest of the flight was again uneventful. We landed a few minutes before scheduled time in Frankfurt. I was one of the first passengers who leaves the plane and headed for customs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.