Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

which is your favorite Ian Schrager hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2003, 3:18 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle

My vote goes to the Sanderson.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 9:19 am

They are all a bit to "Starck" for my taste.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 5:27 pm
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Leisuremiles:
They are all a bit to "Starck" for my taste.</font>
WELL DONE!!!!
Old Mar 19, 2003, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

None, I went through my Schrager stage in the late 80's. The rooms are too tiny anyway.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 7:16 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

"favorite Ian Schrager hotel?"
Isn't that an oxymoron?
Old Mar 20, 2003, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Clift, SFO.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 1:21 pm

Just for the record, The Clift was one of the original Four Seasons....and Schrager hotels are not for me. I don't wear black.

------------------
speedbird001
Old Aug 19, 2003, 4:26 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

What is best way to get a good rate here? Specifically, the Mondrian in LA? Are they part of Amex FHR?

Thx.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by speedbird001:
Just for the record, The Clift was one of the original Four Seasons....and Schrager hotels are not for me. I don't wear black</font>
And of course, the pre-Four Seasons Clift was a locus of San Francisco history - an eccentric owner who excluded men with "too-long" hair from the Redwood Room. You can read about it in Herb Caen's old "Baghdad by the Bay" books (and what a different, more innocent time that title implies)...

But then, I'm probably the only one who still remembers the CityParis, the El Padrino Room of the Plaza Hotel at Post and Stockton, who still calls the St. Francis "The Frantic" and who corrects people who say "Grant Street" not "Avenue" or "Portsmouth Square" not "Plaza" and most of all, who still reflexively thinks of the area below Market Street as "South of the Slot" not the other silly copycat name

[/nostalgia]

[This message has been edited by Non-NonRev (edited 08-19-2003).]
Old Aug 19, 2003, 6:14 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, off topic, but I always called south of Market the "California Wine Country," especially around 6th St.....

Back on topic: Someone once suggested I look at the Royalton, so I went over there and asked to look at a room. Some desk clerk in a turtleneck sniffed that they could only do that by appointment. Haven't been tempted by the chain ever since.

Old Aug 19, 2003, 6:17 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by auh2o:
What is best way to get a good rate here? Specifically, the Mondrian in LA? Are they part of Amex FHR?

Thx.
</font>
Anyone?

Old Aug 19, 2003, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardInSF:
OK, off topic, but I always called south of Market the "California Wine Country," especially around 6th St.....

Back on topic: Someone once suggested I look at the Royalton, so I went over there and asked to look at a room. Some desk clerk in a turtleneck sniffed that they could only do that by appointment. Haven't been tempted by the chain ever since.

</font>
They are not too bad, some of them are small. The beds are great. Overall, I'd take the Schrager places over a W Hotel any day (which basically cover up their low production values with "minimalism").

Now, if you really want minimalism at its best, try the One Aldwych in London, or the Park or Grand Hyatts in Tokyo or Fukuoka.

If you insist on Starck, stay at the Peninsula in HK and eat/drink/pee at Felix...

Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:27 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed, if they do let me tour some rooms, it can work to a hotel's detriment too. I did visit one W hotel in NYC and they showed me around a few "deluxe" rooms, which, as Mark Twain said, "You couldn't swing a cat in, not without doing harm to the cat." Haven't been inside a W hotel since that tour.

A bunch of throw pillows on the bed, an "in" bar in the lobby, and staff wearing black turtlenecks -- these just aren't enough if the rooms are tiny.

I think most hoteliers must hate me.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:02 am

The Clift files CH11....

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...009EDT0177.DTL
Old Aug 20, 2003, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Tired format, though I think the London properties are a little less tired than the others. The SML was a scream when it first opened, but the Sanderson is the more comfortable (by Starck standards) hotel.

In my dotage, I'm going back to (aahhhh) comfort. Who said One Aldwych and the PHT ? I'm with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.