Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines Flagship Suites First Class Transcontinental, MIA-LAX-MIA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
American Airlines Flagship Suites First Class Transcontinental, MIA-LAX-MIA

Comments are very much appreciated and welcomed!

---

---

---

---

Routing for this daytrip transcon.
---

---

American Airlines Flagship Suites First Class, MIA-LAX-MIA, Miami International Airport American Airlines / Oneworld Premium Lounge, Miami, and Los Angeles International Airport.

---
FOREWORD
---

Until a few months ago, I was acutely unaware of the American Airlines hub at Miami International Airport (MIA), despite my residence in Lauderdale by the Sea, a suburb of FLL located on a barrier Island accessible by drawbridge and A1A, the beach road.

Much like any airline hub, MIA is host to many domestic, intercontinental, and regional jet operations. The service I was interested in most, however, was the daily MIA-LAX-MIA Transcontinental service. This turn is ran in either direction on 95% Boeing 737-800 and 757-200 (both domestically and internationally configured 752s), but one service a day is serviced by a three class (First Class/Business Class/Economy Class) 777-200 ER (Extended Range) aircraft, as a way to position the aircraft within the USA as a follow-up to an International service. The F and J cabins are sold separately, and have their own independent services, as on normal intercontinental legs. Plus, full-fare First Class (F or Z inventory) ticket holders are entitled to use the entirely walled-off Flagship Check-in areas and Flagship First Class Lounges, so this turn is a great way to get the full International First Class experience without even leaving the USA.

---
A brief history of International First Class services on American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines, and US Airways
---

(NOTE: This will be a short introduction to the current and discontinued International First Class products onboard USA-based airlines. If you want to skip straight to the report, scroll directly to Reply 1 / One.)

American Airlines (Flagship First Class Suites) and United Airlines (United GlobalFirst Suites) are the only two legacy carriers based in the USA that still offer separate First Class and Business Class cabins on portions of their international fleets: AA offers Flagship First Class Suites on all Boeing 777-300 and select 777-200 airplanes, with the "new" 772 fleet remodeling replacing the Flagship Suites First Class with B.E. Aerospace Contour Sleeper Suites, which is the product used in the BusinessElite Cabin of all Delta Boeing 767-300 and 767-400 aircraft. United Airlines (UA) offers GlobalFirst Suites aboard all 747-400 (744) airframes, United Airlines pre-merger 767-300s, and United Airlines Pre-Merger 777-200s. UA themselves used to offer First Class angle flat bed seating on their own transcontinental routes, [url=Premium Service (stylized as [b]p.s.[/b]), before removing the first class cabin and transforming the cabin layout into a Business Class (utilizing the pre-merger Continental Airlines - CO - BusinessFirst Seats, which UA seems to have an obsession with) Economy Plus, and Economy layout. The old p.s. First Class seats, copyright Airliners.net and associated Photographer Sam Chui:

United Airlines 757-200 p.s. (Premium Service) Transcon First class. PHOTO COPYRIGHT SAM CHUI AND AIRLINERS.NET

As for the other two majors discontinued First Class cabins;

Delta Air Lines (IATA: DL, ICAO: DAL) has several detailed write-ups of its' history across the web, but I was only able to find a few bits and pieces of their discontinued International First Class. According to several sources, International First Class on Delta was featured on 747-100 (741), Lockheed L1011 TriStar, Douglas DC-10, McDonell Douglas MD-11, and Ex-GulfAir 767-300 aircraft.

Delta Air Line's International First Class hard product featured burgundy recliner seats in a 2-1-2 configuration, with 66 inches (five feet six inches) of legroom, electric recline, and a legrest with lumbar support. Food served in First Class was the same as J class, but served dish by dish on bone china dishes. IFE was overhead / bulkhead - projected movies, and later very small PTVs.

Delta removed First Class entirely with the complete discontinuation of the Lockheed L1011 fleet in the late 1990s and early 2000s, replaced with the BusinessElite service you see today. Pictures of the Delta Air Lines International First Class Cabin on the Lockheed L1011 Aircraft:

Delta Air Lines International First Class Cabin on the Lockheed L1011 Aircraft, Copyright Airliners.Net and associated photographer Chris Coduto. Photograph taken in Atlanta - Hartsfield-Jackson Int (The William B Hartsfield / Municipal / Candler Field) (ATL / KATL) on July 8th, 2001.

Delta Air Lines International First Class Cabin on the Lockheed L1011 Aircraft, Copyyright Flickr User ConvairsForever, used with permission under Creative Commons license.

Old Eastern Air Lines (IATA: EA, ICAO: EAL) advertisement for the Lockheed L1011 aircraft, which Delta Air Lines inherited as part of the liquidation, and kept the cabin as-is as you see in the photos above.

US Airways (IATA: US, ICAO: AWE) International First Class product was even harder to research, and I only managed to find a minimal amount of data on it. Introduced only in the carrier's Airbus A330-300, with only one row of seats in the front of the plane, the hard product itself didn't last very long. It consisted of flat-bed seats with reading lights, over 70 inches of legroom, and seperate catering / amenity kits than the Business Class cabin. When the decision was made to remove the tiny F class setup, the First Class service was replaced with Business Class service and the FC seats were available for a nominal fee to J class pax (passengers).

US Airway's International First Class was discontinued in the early 2000's, and the removal wrapped up right around the time that the merger with America West Airlines (IATA: HP, ICAO: AWE) was approved. They were replaced by the Envoy Suites Business Class service in use present-day (now called "Business Class" to avoid ambiguity with American Eagle, the regional subsidiary of American Airlines, renaming of "Envoy Air".) I trip reported on this product here: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/253048

I only managed to find two pictures of it, and both are copyright Airliners.Net and their respective photographers, Robert Maturski, and Matthew J. Swickheimer.

US Airways International First Class on their A330-300 aircraft. Photo copyright Airliners.Net and the associated photographer, Robert Maturiski.

US Airways International First Class on their A330-300 aircraft, with the seat in "bed" mode and the amenity kit opened and visible. Photo copyright Airliners.Net and the associated photographer, Matthew J. Swickheimer.

---
Now, without any other further ado, onto the report!
---
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

KMIA (Miami - International Airport / Wilcox Field / 36th Street / Pan American Field) ✈ KLAX (Los Angeles International Airport)
  • Airline: American Airlines
    ---
  • Airline IATA Code: IATA Code # AA
    ---
  • Airline IACO Code: IACO Code # AAL
    ---
  • Airline Callsign: Radio Callsign AMERICAN
    ---
  • Airline Flight Number: # AA 183
    ---
  • Aircraft / Equipment Used for Flight : Boeing 777-223ER
    ---
  • Aircraft / Equipment Registration: Registration # N780AN
    ---
  • Airline Aircraft / Equipment Fleet Number: # 7AL, formely 7AL with Boeing Commercial Airplanes as of April 15th, 2006, Formerly 6055X with Boeing Commercial Airplanes as of January 21st, 2006, formerly 780AN as of December 2nd, 2006, formerly 7AL at delivery to American Airlines as of September 10th, 1999
    ---
  • Aircraft / Equipment Nationality: United States of America - FAA - Registered A/C / Equipment
    ---
  • Aircraft Manufacturer: The Boeing Company
    ---
  • Aircraft Sub - Manufacturer: Boeing Commercial Airplanes Division
    ---
  • Aircraft's First Flight: August 23rd, 1999
    ---
  • Aircraft's Age as of Date of Flight: 15.1 Years Old as of September 20th, 2014
    ---
  • Aircraft Test Registration: Test Registration N780AN
    ---
  • Aircraft Config: F16C35Y194 (15 First Class Flat Bed Suites, 35 Business Class Angle Lie Flat Bed Seats, 194 Economy Class Seats)
    ---
  • Total Number of Passenger Seats: 245 Seats (15 First Class Flat Bed Suites, 35 Business Class Angle Lie Flat Bed Seats, 194 Economy Class Seats)
    ---
  • Aircraft Construction Number (MSN) : # 29956
    ---
  • Aircraft Line Number: # 241
    ---
  • Aircraft Delivery Date: As N780AN with American Airlines: January 5th, 2007, As N780AN with Boeing Commercial Airplanes: April 15th, 2006, As N6055X with Boeing Commercial Airplanes: January 21st, 2006, as N780AN with Boeing Commercial Airplanes: December 2nd, 2005, as N780AN at delivery to American Airlines: September 10th, 1999
    ---
  • Aircraft Powerplant (s) : 2x Roll's Royce Trent 892 High-Bypass Turbofan Engines
    ---
  • Aircraft Owned by / Leased from: Owned by American Airlines as N780AN as of January 5th, 2007, LEASED by Boeing Commercial Airplanes from American Airlines as N780AN as of April 15th, 2006, LEASED by Boeing Commercial Airplanes from American Airlines and re-registered to N6055X as of January 21st, 2005, LEASED by Boeing Commercial Airplanes from American Airlines as N780AN as of December 2nd, 2005, OWNED American Airlines as N780AN as of September 10th, 1999
    ---
  • Cabin: American Airlines Flagship Suites First Class
    ---
  • Fare Class: F (Full Fare Refundable / Flexible First Class Fare)
    ---
  • Meal: Breakfast / Dessert / Pre - Arrival Snack
    ---
  • Seat Assignment: Suite # 4A (Last row of First Class), Window Seat, American Airlines Flagship Suites First Class
    ---
  • Row Assignment: Row # 4 (Last row of First Class), American Airlines Flagship Suites First Class
    ---
  • A/C Equipped with IFE: Yes, Personal Television Monitors in all Classes, Audio Entertainment in all classes
    ---
  • A/C Equipped with Wi-Fi Wireless Internet Access: No
    ---
  • Airline Frequent Flier Program: American Airlines AAdvantage
    ---
  • Miles / Rewards / Points Earned: 14,037 AAdvantage Miles (2,342 Base Earned Miles + F-Class Mileage Bonus = 1,171 = 3,513 + Online Checkin Purchase Miles = 3,513 + Airport Kiosk Purchased Miles = 3,513 = 14,037 Miles TOTAL)
    ---
  • Airline Flight Date: September 20th, 2014
    ---
  • Boarding Call Time: 9:00 AM EST, September 20th, 2014
    ---
  • Boarding Zone: Boarding Zone # 1, Flagship Services (First Class)
    ---
  • Departure Time: 9:59 AM EST, September 20th, 2014
    ---
  • Departure Gate / Jetway: Gate / Jetway D28, Concourse D, Terminal 1, KMIA (Miami - International Airport / Wilcox Field / 36th Street / Pan American Field)
    ---
  • Arrival Time: 11:45 AM PST, September 20th, 2014
    ---
  • Arrival Gate / Jetway: Gate / Jetway 214, Remote Parking Ramp / Terminal, KLAX (Los Angeles International Airport)
    ---
  • Time Aloft: 4 hours 45 minutes (285 Minutes)
    ---
  • Filed Speed: 474 KIAS
    ---
  • Filed Cruising Altitude: 40,000 feet
    ---
  • Flight Distance: Direct: 2,340 SM | Planned: 2,366 SM | Flown: 2,447 SM
    ---
  • Routing Waypoint (s) : MIA WINCO1 WINCO J73 LBV SRQ Q100 LEV J86 PEKON JCT EWM KA18Q KA24M PKE J4 TNP SEAVU2 LAX
    ---
  • Fare Cost: $2,500 USD
    ---

FLIGHT DATA SOURCE (S) :

1. Planespotter.Net Airline Data - American Airlines Fleet Details and History

2. Planespotter.Net Airframe Data - N780AN American Airlines Boeing 777-223(ER) - cn 29956 / ln 241

3. FlightAware Live Flight Tracking Data - Live Flight Tracker ✈ American Airlines (AA) #183 ✈ 20-Sep-2014 ✈ KMIA - KLAX

4. Airline Fleet Data - American Airlines 777-200

5. Airline General Class of Service Info - American Airlines Flagship Suites - First Class Cabin

6. Airline Aircraft Specific Data / Onboard Product / Amenities - American Airlines 777-200 Flagship Suites First Class

7. Airline Onboard Dining /Cuisine Data - American Airlines International Premium Cabin Dining

8. Airline Onboard Beverage Selection Data - American Airlines

9. Airline Seat Map Data - American Airlines 777-200

10. SeatGuru Seat Map Data - American Airlines 777-200 (777) - V1

11. American Airlines - First Class Experience

12. American Airlines - Flagship Checkin

13. American Airlines - Flagship Lounge

14. American Airlines - Premium Class Duvets

FlightAware for this flight. Copyright FlightAware © 2014

The night before the trip, I could barely contain my excitement. I was going on a transcon in First Class tomorrow! Unfortunately, this also meant I had a very hard time falling asleep, and I eventually had to take a couple Tylenol PMs to calm myself down enough to get even a few hours of sleep. After tossing and turning for a few minutes, I finally made it to dreamland at around (I'm estimating) 2:00 AM EST, before being blasted awake by my iPhone's alarm feature at...5:00 AM EST. zzZzzZZzz.

My coworker had arranged for his friend, a Taxi Driver, to pick me up at 6:00 AM, which would allow me to get to the Cypress Creek Tri-Rail Station and arrive at MIA by train at about 7-8 AM AM EST. He arrives right on the mark, and convinces me to take his cab with a flat fare of $60.00 USD, which I accept as that is not too bad. After about an hour on US Interstate 95 (i95), we pulled up into the airport and I am quickly deposited into the "D" Concourse Check-in at MIA, where most AA ops are located.

I didn't immediately go to check-in, as my camera only had a paltry 4 GB SD card inside--with the "photos remaining" counter only at 600! Scoffing at that number, I walked down to inMotion Entertainment, a prominent airport-based electronics retailer, and bought a 32-gigabyte MicroSD card with a full-sized SD Card adapter. The "images remaining" counter jumped up to 5,500, so I went to check in.

American Airlines Full Fare International / Transcontinental First Class ticket holders are entitled to use the Flagship First Class Check-in area, as well as ConciergeKey (AA's highest status tier, invite-only) members, and certain Oneworld rank holders. The special thing about this is that you actually have to buy First Class or have the required loyalty credentials, you cannot get into the walled-off section if you bought a J-class ticket or upgraded either by paid or complimentary means.

The check-in area itself is walled off from the rest of the hall, with two bouncers standing behind the roped off entrance with a manifest of all the passengers aboard flights that have the ability to use this area today--as you can see, AA wants to keep this place as exclusive as possible...Anyway, I walk up to the two agents, who are holding a half-page long manifest, and tell them my last name. The female agent clips open the velvet rope, I walk through, and the rope is clicked back closed behind me. Once inside--wow, it is incredibly nice. Only two podiums, with a metal abstract mural of the globes' countries superimposed behind them, greet me as I stroll in. The whole area has the delightful, VERY slight scent of Miami Orchids--my mother collects those kinds of flowers, and was thoroughly jealous! The one agent on personally greets me by name and thanks me for my "loyalty and for choosing American Airlines", all with a genuine smile that makes me feel very nice! I even have my own little tunnel to security, separate from the Priority AAcess Lane, and I'm through in a jiffy after being nudoscoped.

AA Flagship Check In at MIA, walled off with frosty glass. Brggggh!!! :P

Interior of the walled-off hall. Sorry for the bad pictures, my camera had a hard time focusing...

My own personal burrow to the TSA.

After clearing security and venturing forth through Concourse D, I reach the gate D30 Admiral's Club and am let in immediately, again greeted by name and thanked for my loyalty to American Airlines, but this time the agent personally apologizes for the Premium Lounge (Equivalent to the Flagship First Lounge, but OneWorld Branded so OW Premium Passengers can use it as well) not being open until 1 PM. I didn't care too much, as I would be able to use the one in LAX and the Premium Lounge in MIA when I got back. Or so I thought....

The lounge drAAgon leads me to a shower suite, and I freshen up before going to "The Promenade", the main dining area of the club, to have some breakfast.

Stepping into Concourse D in Miami International Airport.

Entering the Gate D30 Admiral's Club.

Being lead to shower suite # 5.

My shower suite. Note the sign reading "As a courtesy to other guests, please limit your showers to 20 minutes". I could never spend that much time even in my shower at home....

Most Admirals Club Lounges (NOT talking about Flagship Lounges or Premium Lounges) within American Airlines' hub airports have an actual sit-down restaurant within the club itself (Delta does this as well at one of the Sky Clubs in JFK I believe, but I'm unsure of whether they do this anywhere else besides New York). There are complimentary light snacks just like every other United States-based airline lounge, including fresh-baked cookies, fruit, vegetables, and snack mixes. But the REAL food in the inter-club restaurant isn't free.

I don't understand why, but American Airlines has been harshly criticized for not making the food in the eatery free. I don't agree with those critics at all. For one thing, it's good that the restaurant exists at all, I'd definitely prefer a surcharged dining venue rather than have only hamster food. Secondly, I doubt American Airlines could afford to keep the various prices of admittance down AND keep the wide extent of the restaurant's menu if they made the food free. The menu itself is actually pretty extensive, here are scans of it:

There is actually a "food stall" in the gate D30 Admiral's Club, and walking up I couldn't mistake what I smelled - an omelet stand! I have probably seen thousands of omelet stations, though I am only 18, I have been to every continent except Asia and Antarctica, traveling across the world with my parents and grandparents (thanks for addicting me to planes, ma! :P) so seeing omelet stations has become routine. I didn't want to fill up too soon to ruin my appetite for the likely excellent food on my upcoming flight, so I settled on a plate of juicy sliders (miniature hamburgers) instead of that are soon delivered to my table.

The food, beverages, and refreshments stand within the D30 Admiral's Club.

Omelet stand--Yum! Not for me this morning, though.

Some of the menu items on display in a cool freezer (no pun intended...)

The bar within the promenade at the Gate D30 American Airlines Admiral's Club.

The Promenade main seating / dining area near the windows that over look the Miami International Airport (MIA) operations.

My sliders with pickles, ketchup, mayonaisse, mustard, Lay's Potato Chips, and a bottle of Coca Cola Classic. You can choose between having your soft drink bottled or in real glass, bottles will run you a surcharge for whatever reason though...

The windows are blanketed in rain, that's no good!

With nothing left to do in the Club, and since all the windows inside the lounge with covered with leftover rain from last night's storm, I headed over towards the Concourse D Air Train, and ride it all the way over to the furthest southern station.

While in the train I notice a man around or probably slightly older than my age range, who appears to be of Indian descent, wielding a gigantic Canon camera with a lens that had to be at least a foot long. Is that Suresh Attapattu!?!?![/i], I wonder. We both get off the same station and wander to the windows on the east side, but this man doesn't seem to notice me as he shoots away with his humongous camera...However, I am more and more thinking that it may be Suresh because this guy only photographs certain aircraft passing by or taking off, such as a Cathay 748. He doesn't pay any heed to me, even though I take a lot more pictures and we photograph nearly the same aircraft, so I don't end up talking to him (hey-I'm shy!). Suresh, if you're reading this, was that you?

Walking to the MIA Sky Train.

Riding the southbound tram to the furthest (what else?) south station.

LatinAir DC-10F over at the Miami Tech MRO (Maintenance / Repair / Overhaul)

Miami Air International Hangar with a company 737 -- "I don't think it's going to fit..."

"Conviasia Flight 111 with nonstop service to Caracas has now been canceled because the honorable President Hugo Chavez has ordered the army to detain the engines, posthumously, on suspicion of committing fuel extortion and lubricating oil laundering. We invite you to be suppressed while we pretend to sort out our corrupt national policy."

These DC10s appear to be hitting the steel saw very soon--just look at the amounts of missing vital components and the permanently-dropped flaps...

Cathay Pacific 748 takes off.

Various McDonell Douglas aircraft (and a 767) huddle together before they too hit the steel saw...just a matter of time unfortunately...

Big girl lifts off with her engines full of condensation.

A very shiny, but dirt and engine grime-streaked 752. And a Tri-Jet farm.

Swallows nesting together-IBC Cargo Saabs, quite an interesting aircraft to use for cargo if you ask me!

At about 8:25 AM EST, I rode the Sky Train back to Station 2, and walked to Gate D28, where my transcon flight would be departing from. Strolling up to the desk (barely able to contain my excitement ), I inquired to the agent about the flight departing early and I get a very good response: "Good news, sir. The aircraft arrived early, so we'll try and get everyone boarding at maybe 8:45 AM". Seeing as it was only ten minutes from departure, I remained in the gate area, grabbing one of the last uncomfortable seats left near the boarding lanes.

As promised, the boarding process begins at exactly 8:45 AM EST, and "Flagship First Class Suites" were called to board first. I walked through the internationally configured boarding area, but the door to the jetway appeared to be a closed elevator door, with no visible way to open it...Confused, I started to walk back to the agent but turned around when the motion sensor detected me and opened the two doors.

Boarding the "train" back to my gate. The reason the "track" looks like a road is due to the fact that it is actually a road. If you look at the bottom of these "trains" you'll see that they have 18-wheeler wheels under them, so they're essentially a fully automated truck system. The "rails" that they are attached to conduct electricity to the onboard motors that turn the wheels, so I guess it is (barely) a train. This model set is a Bombardier Innovia APM-100 (yes, the same Canucks that manufacture the CRJ and C Series make trains as well-Love you Canada! ).

My ride today to LAX, N780AN, the 241st 777-200 produced which was 15.1 years old when I took this picture. I was quite lucky to get this registration today, as this bird has an extensive backstory. She was born in 1999 and took to the skies for her first flight on August 23rd of the same year, being placed into service with American Airlines as N780AN on September 10th, 1999. On December 2nd, 2005, N780AN was leased to the aircraft development division of Boeing Commercial Airplanes and re-registered to the Washington-based gorilla corporation as N6055X. Once at Paine Field (location of one of the Boeing factories), N6055X retained her color scheme, but her passenger interior was ripped out and replaced with computers, sensors, and instruments testing Boeing 787-800 flight components! Yes, today I would be riding in a 787 Testbed aircraft! N6055X was re-registered back to N780AN on April 16th, 2006, but severe delays in the 787-800 (788) program caused Boeing to need the airplane for a longer amount of time, much to the chagrin of AA. Finally, N780AN was returned to service with American Airlines on January 5th, 2007, and of course had her interior restored. I don't know when the aircraft was painted in the matte-silver livery of the "New American" but this airframe still has the three class (Flagship First Class Suites/Business Class/Economy Class) setup, thank gosh for that!

Walking through one of the "luxury good rotundas" I spotted this Hugo Boss store--one of my favorite clothes brands!

Abstract avian gliders suspend from the tall ceiling.

Arriving at gate D28. MIA has a very modern feel compared to the straight out of the 1980's FLL terminals and facilities (visiting MIA so much recently has made me realize how outdated FLL really is--now I know what I was missing down here in MIA!). The blending of steel and glass here is quite nice, and the backlit gate numbers are very classy.

Unfortunately, the glass was coated in rain streaks, making any sort of detail shots of N780AN impossible...

Walking down the very long, twisting and turning labyrinth of a jetway.

WOW! That door is huge! I'm almost there... (Also notice the old Vignelli and Associates Eagle Logo, plainly visible on the galley wall, across from the L2 boarding door)
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Walking up into the 777, I was given a very very warm greeting from the chief purser, Richard, and his colleague, Roxanne, who would be servicing the Flagship Suites First Class Suites cabin today. "Good morning, Mister McCormack. Let me lead you to your suite. Have you flown with us in First Class before?" As I answered in the negative, he demonstrated all the key features of the suite, including the signature "rotating chair" feature that the Flagship Suite is known for--the whole suite swivels 90 degrees to the left or right to face your "desk", which features not one but TWO traytables that overlap to create a real desk--complete with its own banker's lamp! The swivel IFE PTV screen is located next to the second traytable. Which brings me to my next praise point of the suite: the ottoman also doubles as a second seat, so you can dine with your buddy or significant other. To accommodate this, the second traytable is twice the size of a normal one, but folds in half if you are dining alone.

Once I recovered my dropped jaw and settled down into my itty bitty room for the next five hours, I began looking over what the ground crew had left for me in my suite. On the ottoman was a very soft and large AA quilted duvet, and a fluffy American Airlines-embroidered pillow. The desk had an amenity kit, and a set of metallic red earbuds.

After a few PDB's (Richard had to have done atleast four beverage runs before we had to sit down! ), I asked Richard for a cockpit visit and I was promptly let inside. The captain has the same uplifting spirits as the rest of the flight crew--I don't know why they're always so happy, but I hope it stays that way. I then returned to Suite 4A. Right about that time, Richard came around and happily asked me if I'd like something to drink: "Maybe Juice? Water? Champagne?" I thought he was joking about the last choice, but he actually wasn't (as I'll find out on the return...), so I just ordered my proverbial Coca-Cola Classic. Next, he distributed Breakfast menus, giving us plenty of time to mull over the various choices available. Just before we pushed back, he did one last pre-departure beverage run before gathering up our glasses and turning on the safety demo video.

The 16-suite Flagship First Class Suites cabin. Sorry about the darkness, I used the flash to ensure my shots wouldn't come out blurry.

My suite, 4A, with bedding, amenity kit, and souvenir earbuds waiting for me.

The desk, with three (!) windows all to myself. The first table is the one with my boarding pass, earbuds, and amenity kit on it, while the second is the compartment under the PTV.

A very nicely sized PTV, considering the multitude of ways you can swivel it!

First out of three seatback pockets and the very comfortable bedding.

My amenity kit, free headphones, and Priority AAccess Boarding pass.

I asked Roxanne for a power adapter for the "car charger" or "cigarette lighter" DC power port and was handed this behemoth of an inverter, which actually worked pretty well.

Charging my Nikon CoolPix P500, which desperately needs replacing...Does anyone know of a good point and shoot with a decent zoom for around $1,000 USD?

Boeing 777-223ER N780AN Cockpit

The captain offers to take a picture of me, so of course I accept -- I was just so ectastic at that moment!

Observer station in Boeing 777-223ER N780AN's Cockpit -- I know the name, but what is this used for?

It seems Richard has left me a PDB while I was up in the flight deck!

Here is an image that demonstrates the desk mode of the suite. The 90-degree swiveling is controlled by a latch under one of the armrests, and you can supposedly lock the seat in any number of directions on the 90 degree axis. Of course, for safety reasons, you cannot recline into the aisle when the seat is not aligned with the ottoman.

From top to bottom: "Banker's Lamp" desk light twist-knob, "Car Charger" / "Cigarette Lighter" DC Power Port, Two-prong headphone jack, and a disabled Ethernet jack (Why is this here? Was American Airlines planning to include wired Ethernet internet access?).

Suite recline controls. A simpler one-touch lever that only converts the seat into bed mode is located on the side of the right armrest wall facing out towards the aisle. Also notice the seat / suite number posted on the end of the armrest as well.

The seat in fully flat mode-thickly padded, it's like sleeping on a cloud...

No overhead PSU switches, only gasper air vents as the rest of the controls are in the suite itself.

American Airlines Flagship Suites First Class Breakfast menu this morning on MIA-LAX. Full text of each page will be include beneath each image, as shown:

American

FLAGSHIP FIRST

Menu

oneworld

Welcome aboard

Food connects us to our world. Today's menu includes regionally inspired, flavorful cuisine for you to enjoy. We've thoughtfully selected a multi-course experience for you including award winning wines and a delectable desert.

On behalf of all of us at American Airlines, thank you for traveling with us.

-Hector Adler's Signature-
Hector Adler
Vice President -- Flight Service

Menu

STARTER
.................. Customized Yogurt Parfait
.................. Vanilla yogurt with your choice of fresh fruit and granola

.................. Seasonal Fresh Fruit Plate

ENTRÉES
.............. Turkey Bacon Quiche
.............. Served with grilled vegetables

.............. Smoked Salmon and Bagel
.............. Accompanied by bibb leaf lettuce, freshly sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, caper berry and whipped cream cheese

.............. Steel Cut Oatmeal
.............. With mixed berries and brown sugar

Served with a selection of breakfast breads

DESSERT
.................. A Selection of Sweet Treats

Light Refreshment

Offered prior to arrival

Whole Fruit and Snacks
A selection of fresh seasonal fruit and premium snacks

Cookies
Freshly baked on board

Wine List

SPARKLING WINE
................................ Gloria Ferrer Sanoma Caneros Brut
................................ A lively blend of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir shows toast and apple flavors with a strong finish

WHITE WINE
....................... Line 39 Sauvignon Blanc
....................... Vibrant Aromas and flavors of grapefruit, lemon, and lime balanced by crisp acidity on the finish

RED WINE
................... Ceibo Malbec Carbernet Sauvignon
................... Bright violet tints and flavors of cherry, currant, anise, coffee, and vanilla on a plush finish

Beverages

We are pleased to offer you a variety of beverages on today's flight, including cocktails of your choice mixed with premium liquor.

SPIRITS
.............. Bacardi Rum
.............. Bombay Sapphire Gin
.............. Tito's Handmade Vodka

WHISKEYS
.................... Canadian Club Reserve Blended Whiskey
.................... Dewar's White Label Scotch Whiskey
.................... Jack Daniel's Tenessee Whiskey

BEERS
............. Corona Extra
............. Heneiken
............. Select American Beers

BRANDY AND LIQUERS
......................................... Bailey's Irish Cream
......................................... Courviesier V.S.O.P. Fine Champagne Cognac
......................................... DiSaronno Amaretto

OTHER BEVERAGES
.................................. Carbonated Beverages
.................................. Still and Sparkling Water
.................................. Java City™ 100% Rainforest Alliance Certified™ coffee
.................................. Java City™ decaffeinated coffee
.................................. Tea
.................................. Fruit Juices
.................................. Milk

Espresso and Cappucino are also available on the A321T aircraft

Due to some unknown difficulties, our flight is still boarding past the scheduled time even though we boarded fifteen minutes early. Richard notices this and mutters to no one in particular in the galley, "These guys better hurry up and get us out or we might lose our customers' connections!" Luckily, a few moments after that, the aforementioned gate agent runs down the jetway, tells Roxanne that we're all done boarding, and slams the L2 boarding door shut. After which the safety video plays, and we taxi out to Runway 26L / Runway 26 Left.

Boeing 777s are mostly known for their ginormous engines, the two most common being the General Electric GE90 and Roll's Royce Trent 892 powerplants. I haven't flown on GE90-equipped equipment, but this takeoff was just intense. The engines had a sound that reminesced of a 757 Roll's Royce RB.211 motor, but played through a subwoofer instead of a laptop speaker. in other words, those two puppies were LOUD, and pushed me back into my seat with oodles of lateral g-force factors. I might be sounding farfetched when I say this, but it seemed that we only used 25-30% of Runway 28 Left before blasting off over downtown Miami, Florida, doing a 180-degree U-turn over Biscayne Bay and the Atlantic Ocean, and finally shooting towards SRQ (Sarasota - Bradenton International Airport in Sarasota, Florida -- the same place where my 22-year-old older brother attends university at Ringling School of Art and Design), our first waypoint on this 285-minute transcon hop to Los Angeles.
---
VIDEO - American Airlines 777-223 Flagship First Class Suites Roll's Royce Trent 892 Pushback from Gate D28 at Miami International Airport VIDEO
*If you are having trouble viewing the above video due to slow loading times on Flickr, Click here / on this sentence to download it directly to your computer for viewing.*
---
VIDEO - American Airlines 777-223 Flagship First Class Suites Roll's Royce Trent 892 Taxi out from Gate D28 to Runway 26L / Runway 26 Left at Miami International Airport VIDEO
*If you are having trouble viewing the above video due to slow loading times on Flickr, Click here / on this sentence to download it directly to your computer for viewing.*
---
VIDEO - American Airlines *777-223 Flagship First Class Suites Roll's Royce Trent 892 Takeoff from Runway 26L / Runway 26 Left at Miami International Airport VIDEO*

Pushback out of Gate D28 at MIA.

The safety demo / video began playing just before we started pushback and ended just as we pulled away from the gate under our airplane's own power.

Taxiing away from some fellow (smaller and larger) Boeing family members as the slats extend. Note the cantilever shape of the wing--it flexes due to being composed of composite materials such as carbon fiber.

Slowly crawling past the Envoy Air / American Eagle porta-terminal gates in Concourse E at MIA--the largest collection of Regional Jets you'll see in Florida. :-D

Turning onto Runway 26 Left.

90 knots...V1....Rotate... The pilots gun the two Roll's Royce Trent 892 High - Bypass Turbofan Engines and we slingshot down RWY 26L, meanwhile an impressive amount of water vapor condensation clouds the engine blades and fan cone.

Liftoff, look at that incredible wing flex!!! Down below we are leaving behind an American Airlines 738 Oneworld Livery Logo Jet, the threshold to Runway 26L / Runway 26 Left, and the DC-10 Den!

Swinging around Biscayne Bay to face California. The little tree-filled islands are lush with rare flora and fauna, and are protected by the USEPA (United States of America Environmental Protection Agency) and USFPS (United States of America Forest Park Ranger Service) as national parks. This is because more than once, a moronic rich person or gaudy celebrity has tried to purchase these Islands and turn them into their own private little hangout spot--thank you city of Miami for not giving into the demands of these ridiculous people and especially NOT destroying the poor little islands.

The artificial island below is North Bay Village, a very affluent community on the north end of Biscayne Bay,linked by the visible street of John F. Kennedy (JFK) Causeway. I've heard people will pay millions of dollars for a house on this island just to have the stigma of living in the middle of a large body of water. Of course, nearly all "affluent communities" have a golf course, and just like those ridiculously priced houses, people golf there at exorbitant prices just to say they golfed in the middle of a bay. Wonder how many Titleist Pro V1 / Titleist Pro V1 X golf balls are on the bottom of the lake -- ugh.

Miami Biscayne Bay Venetian Island Map It's really a wonder how fast those Trents can push us up to cruise! Great view of Biscayne Bay, the Venetian Islands, and the Miami City Center (visible at top right of image.) Also, more condensation!

Miami Executive Airport / Opa - Locka Executive Airport (IATA: OPF, ICAO: KOPF).

As we perused among the Floridian mainland, Richard begins handing out Bose QuietComfort headsets to all the First Class passengers, then retreatinalg to the galley to prepare our meals.

Unlike the garbage 2-prong headsets found in Delta Air Lines BusinessElite cabins worldwide, American Airlines uses name-brand single-prong Bose headsets which I am excited to see because I have a long, loyal history to Bose-their products have always lasted me a long time, and are generally very well built. Compare that to Beats by Dr. Dre, who I've realistically gone through about 30 pairs of headphones in the last few years from them. Never again!

Once all the noise canceling headsets are handed out, Richard begins the meal service. The first step in this rigamorale is to lay down a table cloth, and to receive your beverage of choice. Shockingly, as I am looking out the window, Richard brings two bottles of CHAMPAGNE to my suite--I can't tell if he doesn't know what age I am or if he is joking, but by the sound of his "Mr. McCormack, would you like Pinot Noir or California Chardonnay with your breakfast?" inquiry I think he is being quite serious. Anyway, I turn down his offer and order a Coca-Cola Classic instead. My choice of meal this morning would be the Bacon Quiche, Parfait with Granola and Strawberries, warm biscuit, and finally a micro-sized piece of cheesecake.

You can tell Richard loves his job by one thing: he never stops smiling!

SINGLE-PRONG Noise-canceling Bose QuietComfort Headphones, thank you AA for not ruining these by making them double pronged. I was I will probably buy a pair back in MIA, but they won't be as cool with no "American" logo...

I fold out both the first and second tables to make a very large "desk" while watching 007: SkyFall.

The integrated "banker's lamp" light at the end of the desk.

Coiled hot towel served from a shiny chrome platter before the flow of First Class food begins.

The service begins with Coke and Biscotti Cake Cookies.

The tablecloth is lied down by Richard (two are used when you are dining with someone, the table cloth used here is supposed to cover the table when it is folded, but I preferred the extra space)

Butter, a bread plate, salt and pepper shakers, an extra glass, a wine goblet, and table utensils are set down next. Everything is delivered one at a time up in First Class.

Next, the extra glass is filled with water, just like a restaurant would do it.

Coffee is served.

The bread basket, serving fresh bread warmed up by Richard. You could have as much as you want, but I only took a single biscuit, some cream cheese, and honey. Oh my gosh the bread was warm and chewy, and with honey......So delicious!

Starter: Fresh fruit slices (Richard brought a silver platter with "refills" of fruit slices around, in case anyone thinks that it is too little) and Yogurt Parfait with fresh fruit and granola. Sweet and good! Richard asked me if I like another parfait, and I ended up having two more...

After we finished our starters (and I had two more Parfaits at Richard's insistence ), Richard brought our main courses. This morning I'd be having a Turkey Bacon Quiche, which is sort of like a Chicken Pot Pie and an omelet combined. The pie crust shell tasted like it just came out of a bakery oven, and the eggs had bits of vegetables and meat in the soft eggs (but had no liquid yoke-Thank the lord!), I have no words to say other than this was the best food I've ever had on an airplane...

Richard comes around with the dessert tray. "Take as many plates as you like, I have many still left in the galley!" all said with a warm grin.

Top to bottom, left to right: Crunch Bar, Smores Graham Marshmellow charm, and a chef's large dice of cheescake. Including the one photographed, I had three of these! Despite being in a galley, the cheesecake tasted just like it does on the ground....I didn't want the meal service to end!

Hot towel service after dessert.

Intercepting Louisiana. Notice the reflection of the fuselage onto the engine nacelle.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

I was conflicted as to whether I would enjoy the scenic view from our extremely high cruise altitude of 40,000 feet or rest my exhausted body. After looking outside and not seeing much of anything, I made my bed with the plush linens on the ottoman.

The seat itself within the Flagship Suite is upholstered with both leather and cloth fabric. The perimeter of the seatback, entirety of the of the headrest, and legrest are coated in leather, while the center of the place where your back leans against as well as the "seating area" are covered in cloth textiles.This, coupled with the fact that the seat itself is quick to warm up and already quite soft in its padding when I first sat down on it during the boarding process, means my first resting experience in the suite was highly enjoyable.

One potential problem in relation to the way I position myself when I visit dreamland, however, is premium-class lie-flat bed seat headrests. I'd say that approximately 95% of the time when I have an inactive period of siesta, I lie downward on my stomach with my arm placed below the pillow (left or right, depends on the situation), finally laying my head down on the "pillow sandwich." With a headrest jutting out of the tip-top of the seatback, my preferred sleeping method is probably not achievable because I can't stick my arm under most airline seat headrests.

Of the various lie-flat hard products I've experienced in the last few years, the Delta re-skinned-in-blue-leather former Northwest Airlines World Business Class angled-flat seats ( http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/222820 ), the US Airways Envoy Suites ( http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/253048 ), and the pre-bankruptcy American Airlines angle lie-flat reclines ( 757-200 / 752 : http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/253053 , 767-300 / 763 : http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/257473 ), only the DL BusinessElite seat has not had enough room for me to avoid the headrest (those seats are now replaced with Suites without headrests). Luckily, in the American Airlines Flagship First Class Suite, there is enough room on the dining-partner ottoman to extend my legs and place my pillow away from the pesky headrest.

Made my bed, good night!

American Airlines - branded pillow.

I awoke about two hours and a few minutes later to the clankclankclank of porcelain dishes, just in time for Richard's hot, fresh-baked cookie service. Richard asks if I'd like milk with my cookies, I decline and opt for some freshly-brewed coffee instead. Both services are utterly delish, the two warm, molten chocolate chip cookies even melted in my mouth. The coffee tasted hot and fresh, with more than enough cream and sugar provided.

Near the Texan boarder, IAH, BMT, and BTR.

Full size water bottles were distributed before the cookie service as well.

I wonder what airport that is down there?

Houston - George Bush Intercontinental Airport ( IAH / KIAH ).

I'm guessing the tiny plane on the left is a UA 777.

Melty Chocolate Chip cookie--yes, I had several more of these!

A final hot towel after the cookie service.

Swinging over a stretch of desert and what's that? Mountain ranges? Something we never see anywhere near FLL

Getting really close now!

Except for me and that other guy, everyone is working or sleeping in First Class.

This dirt airstrip probably hasn't been in use for awhile.

Palm Springs, California, where my fathers' parents live. The temperature in this city is regularly 100-115 Fahreinheit--when I went there in July 2009 (FLL-SLC-PSP-SLC-FLL, FLL-SLC-FLL DL route now terminated) it was so hot, I couldn't even feel it-the heat numbed my skin! My whole family is about 85% from Cali, including me, born and raised in Danville, California. (not FLL as many people seem to think! > )

Palm Springs International Airport (IATA: PSP / IACO: KPSP), airline terminal is the circular building with attached jetways near the middle of the image--note how <i>very</i> close the airfield is to the mountains. Though I don't remember those mountains being there because we came in from the south. This airport has received a lot of new service recently, with Air Canada Rouge (low cost subsidiary of the Canadian airline giant), Alaska Airlines, Alaska Airlines operated by Horizon Air, Allegiant Air, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Delta Connection, Frontier Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, United Express, US Airways Express, Virgin America, and Westjet all providing service to this small strip--clearly Palm Springs has some marketable attractions!

A lake with an island with a mountain on it near other mountains--now that is awesome!! Would love to swim there!!

Random USAF (United States Air Force) airbase.

8 USAF B52 Bombers--very niceee!

Wow, a pile of props at another airport--what airport is this? Look at the two DC-3s parked on the grassy patches, I hope they're airworthy! And all those other aircraft!!!! Really, what airport is this!?!?!?!? I see a ton of cars, maybe an aviation convention / airshow is going on?

Mountains sticking out over the clouds? I am now addicted to mountains, when can I move out of FLL?

Sweet serenity in Flagship Suite 4A. {veryhappy}

30-35 minutes before the end of the flight, Captain Kerry grabbed the intercom receiver and announced our descent into LAX (Los Angeles International Airport) through some overcast conditions that were coating the L.A. metro area, ending the announcement with a reminder that we were going to park at one of the remote terminals, politely telling us to follow all the instructions of American Airlines rampers / ramp agents on the ground. The approach into LAX was amazingly scenic, passing through several large stretches of desert broken up by incredibly high mountain ranges.

As promised, after hopping over one last set of mountains, an extremely thick comforter of clouds completely obscured the ground below. Surprisingly, when we pierced through the cumulonimbus blanket, all window suite () passengers were treated to a spectacular view of the Los Angeles metro, suburbs, and the surrounding mountain ranges. Our approach took us west into a straight-in landing at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). Touchdown was actually pretty smooth, it was like a feather weighing less than a gram striking a carpeted floor as we smoked the pavement and the flight crew subsequently engaged reverse thrust and deployed the spoilers /speedbrakes. The pilots taxied us into a far flung corner of the airport, and we deplaned into one of the remote terminals.

---
VIDEO - American Airlines *777-223 Flagship First Class Suites Roll's Royce Trent 892 Overcast Approach into Los Angeles International Airport (IATA: LAX, ICAO: KLAX) - VIDEO

---
VIDEO - American Airlines *777-223 Flagship First Class Suites Roll's Royce Trent 892 Overcast Rollout on the Runway AND Taxi into Remote Gate 214 at a Remote Terminal in Los Angeles International Airport (IATA: LAX, ICAO: KLAX) - VIDEO

---

Mountains poking out of the overcast as we begin the approach.

Nowhere to go but down from here.

20 miles out....

We're going in--hang on!!!

Just hang in there--we're almost out!!!

Whew! We made it, with the slats drooping off the leading edge and the wings flexing!

Developments of the suburbs and some sort of dirt racetrack, with the wingspan building up some impressive condensation.

An actual racetrack (don't know the name or what races there?).

I forgot the name of the highway (was it Sepulvida ), but note that very big "The Simpsons" billboard on the side of that office building, I could clearly read it before we crossed the highway.

Just like at ORD, Avis and other car rental agencies plus a large portion of the parking lot / car park are all located just before one of the most heavily-used runways.

More wing flex and the "LAX" Letters Sign--I didn't even realize that I had a pictures with the letters until I was writing this sentence--somebody asked me on my previous report why I take thousands of photos--well, if I didn't snap away right at this moment, I would have missed the sign entirely!

Over the blast zone on the runway (black pavement with very wide golden chevrons) on VERY short final.

Almost there, with a Great Lakes Aviation B1900D, another company you'll probably never see on the east coast. One of my favorite trip reports: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/245123

Touchdown, while the ZK B1900D behind begins its takeoff roll.

Reverse thrust and spoilers deployed--while the Beechcraft behind soars away (above the spoiler). Notice THREE A380s in the background: Korean Air, Asiana Airlines, and Air France.

Make that SIX A380s. Apparently, a lot of Aussies love Cali and L.A. !

Taxiing into a remote area of LAX.

Pulling into Gate 214 at one of the remote terminals at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).

Air Tahiti Nui came either from CDG (Paris - Charles De Gaulle International Aiport, Paris, France) or PPT (Aéroport International Tahiti Fa'a'ā, Tahiti, French Polynesia), a carrier I would love to try--of course in J--to Bora Bora which has an outright amazing approach. If by some miracle I ever did this, the routing would be MIA-LAX-PPT-BOB-PPT-LAX-MIA all in Business Class--certainly not a daytrip though! Also, an AS 737 takes off in the background.

Parked next to a foreign competitor airframe (Airbus, with their A343 against our Boeing 772ER).
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

---
LOS ANGELES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA ( IATA: LAX , ICAO: KLAX )
---

At Los Angeles International Airport, the remote terminals (also known as the "West Gates" in layman's terms) is a group of aircraft parking areas located on the far west region of the airfield. These areas have not only hardstands (just a basic outdoor aircraft parking spot that requires an airstair for passengers to deplane), but also actual mini-terminal buildings with their own jetways, used mostly by international carriers as an aircraft overflow area, as well as MQ (American Eagle / Envoy Air, American Airlines' regional arm). On the day of this flight, a new terminal was under construction near Terminal 4, leaving no suitable gates for our gigantic 777-223ER. Therefore, we had to park in one of the remote terminals and take a bus to T4.

The interior of the remote terminal I deplaned into was quite basic. A single jetway led to a large room containing a zig-zag ramp (no stairs, ramps to allow handicapped passengers to board, cutting down on the costs of elevators) leading into an outside bus waiting area. The Business Class F/A's closed both curtains leading into the J-class cabin and physically stood in front of the closed entryways while the sixteen Flagship First Class Suites passengers, including me, deplaned.

Inside the gangway was a single female AA ramper clad in a yellow high-visibility vest stamped with "American REMOTE" markings, who led us to a lineup of blue Servisair (ground handling company / contractor /supplier) buses. I was one of the first passengers aboard the first (there were only two buses in the lineup) bus, taking a seat on the raised upper level in the back of the vehicle. I had a small seating debacle as I walked back, not sure if I should have taken a seat on the left or right side of the bus, for the best views of the aircraft parked at the various terminals. I ended up sitting on the side opposite the terminals, but I still managed to capture some fun images of aircraft taxiing by and taking off from the nearby runway.

Deplaning up into the jetway--notice the female American Airlines ramp agent's vest.

The very spartan "terminal" that gate 214 is attached to. As you can probably see, I was one of the first people off the plane.

Bye N780AN! Took this picture just as I stepped outside of the RT before stepping back into a bus.

The Air Tahiti Nui A343 and a jetway designed to fit an A380's upper deck.

Boarding the Servisair bus.

Really packed to the gills with passengers from our flight!

As we drove away from the "214 Gate Building" only then did I notice the remaining GINORMOUS line of passengers. Only two buses from the Servisair Corportation were present at the waiting area when the waiting area when the F-class passengers reached it. The AA / MQ ground agents attempted to jam as many people as possible into the NABI Forty-footer bus I was riding out, with all the seats onboard occupied, and nearly all of the metal handrails clutched by both F-and-J-Class passengers. Our passenger load factor on this flight was 100%, with all 245 passenger seats full.

Bus number one left with about 50-60 passengers onboard including me, meaning that the two buses that took the first 120 passengers to the terminal would have to return to remote Terminal 214 to pick up the second half of pax. This could possibly lead to missed connections, considering the length of the bus ride to the terminal, then the amount of time required to get back to Gate 214, then FINALLY the time to return to T4 where connections to AA and other airlines could be made. I barely avoided this, even though I was on the first bus, by the skin of my teeth almost a half hour later, read on....

UA A320 N449UA taxiing alongside us.

And a DL A320 taking off.

"Attention all passengers in the gate area, due to regional pilots demanding higher wages and then subsequently striking, we have decided to replace them with city bus drivers, who are much cheaper sources of labor. Please add 10 hours onto your expected arrival time if you are traveling with us today."

A321T, perhaps?

Entering Terminal Four at Los Angeles International Airport.

Entering the Admiral's Club, which houses the American Airlines Flagship First Class lounge.

After I departed from the bus and headed up through a stairway attached to a gate, I fast-walked walked through LAX's Terminal 4 to the American Airlines Flagship First Class Suites Lounge, which is located within a normal Admiral's Club in LAX T4. As I walked into the lounge, the normal Admiral's Club agent recognized me by name, and handed me a hotel-style key card. At the top of the stairs was an opaque glass sliding WALL (Classy!) unlocked by a scanner near the entryway. After entering, a second agent beckoned me over and reclaimed my First Class lounge key, checking my PNR and confirming my Flagship First Class lounge access.

Entering the first floor of the club.

The key card that allows one access into the Flagship First Class Suites lounge.

Sliding glass wall entrance into the Flagship Suites First Class lounge in Terminal 4 at Los Angeles International Airport.

Scanning my key card to get into the First Class lounge--probably the coolest thing I've seen in an airport (and I've been all over the world) in a LONG time.

Main thoroughfare seating area of the lounge.

Large drink cooler at the end of the buffet, with even MORE drinks under the buffet itself.

REAL FOOD IN AN AIRLINE CLUB!!! Sandwiches, salad, fruit salad, soups, crackers, granola bars, a full bar at the end, and drink coolers full of every beverage you can imagine! I won't be able to have any of it, though...

More of the seating area.

I asked out of pure curiosity when my LAX-MIA flight was boarding. The lounge drAAgon clacked a few strokes out on her keyboard, when suddenly she looked up at me with a very worried and depressed look, quipping, "Mr. McCormack, your flight to Miami started boarding nearly thirty minutes ago and will be closing in less than three minutes!" WHAT? I barely managed to get out a hoarse-voiced, "Do I have enough time to take a few pictures and run?" She replies, "Yes, but only a few! Please hurry sir!"

With that, I run FULL SPEED into the First Class seating area / buffet and snapped exactly SIX pictures (the ones above these paragraphs), and flew back down the stairs almost tripping and faceplanting, but saving myself just in time to sprint down the length of T4. Halfway through my impromptu Terminal 4 rush I hear the infamous "American Airlines is paging passenger Colby McCormack, Mr. McCormack, please proceed to Gate 48B for IMMEDIATE BOARDING, I repeat, American Airlines is paging passenger Colby McCormack for IMMEDIATE BOARDING, Mr. McCormack, please board IMMEDIATELY at Gate 48B or your seat will be canceled!"

YOUR FLIGHT IS ABOUT TO LEAVE IN ONE MINUTE THIRTY SECONDS! RUN!

Just as the female gate agent concludes her spiel, I land from my "flight" across the terminal (no puns intended, again) right at forty eight bravo, and dashed up to the desk. Maybe due to the agents viewing my potentially-missed-flight-induced sprint to the desk, or my disheveled appearance, they instantly recognized me. "Ah, Mister McCormack, you arrived with ten seconds to spare. We were going over to close the jetway door, but we saw a man running across the terminal, so we'd figure we'd keep it open for thirty seconds longer." Thanking the Lord God for this miracle, they attempt to scan my boarding pass, but are having a bit of trouble getting the system to accept my ticket. They managed to scan it sucessfully after swiping it for the third time across the crimson laser.

I walked down the jetway with only a FEW SECONDS to spare, and even ran down the interior of the jetway, not stopping until I was aboard N751AN, the second 777-223ER for today and thankfully a second new 777 reg for my logbook.

Barely making it to Gate 48-Bravo for American Airlines Flight 252 back to MIA, doing LAX-MIA.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

KLAX (Los Angeles International Airport)✈KMIA (Miami - International Airport / Wilcox Field / 36th Street / Pan American Field)
  • Airline: American Airlines
    ---
  • Airline IATA Code: IATA Code # AA
    ---
  • Airline IACO Code: IACO Code # AAL
    ---
  • Airline Callsign: Radio Callsign AMERICAN
    ---
  • Airline Flight Number: # AA 252
    ---
  • Aircraft / Equipment Used for Flight : Boeing 777-223ER
    ---
  • Aircraft / Equipment Registration: Registration # N751AN
    ---
  • Airline Aircraft / Equipment Fleet Number: # 7BK
    ---
  • Aircraft / Equipment Nationality: United States of America - FAA - Registered A/C / Equipment
    ---
  • Aircraft Manufacturer: The Boeing Company
    ---
  • Aircraft Sub - Manufacturer: Boeing Commercial Airplanes
    ---
  • Aircraft's First Flight: March 26th, 2001
    ---
  • Aircraft's Age as of Date of Flight: 13.5 Years Old as of September 20th, 2014
    ---
  • Aircraft Test Registration: Test Registration N751AN
    ---
  • Aircraft Config: F16C35Y194 (15 First Class Flat Bed Suites, 35 Business Class Angle Lie Flat Bed Seats, 194 Economy Class Seats)
    ---
  • Total Number of Passenger Seats: 245 Seats (15 First Class Flat Bed Suites, 35 Business Class Angle Lie Flat Bed Seats, 194 Economy Class Seats)
    ---
  • Aircraft Construction Number (MSN) : # 30978
    ---
  • Aircraft Line Number: # 333
    ---
  • Aircraft Delivery Date: April 4th, 2001
    ---
  • Aircraft Powerplant (s) : 2x Roll's Royce Trent 892 High - Bypass Turbofan Engines
    ---
  • Aircraft Owned by / Leased from: OWNED by American Airlines Group
    ---
  • Cabin: American Airlines Flagship Suites First Class
    ---
  • Fare Class: F (Full Fare Refundable / Flexible First Class Fare)
    ---
  • Meal: Lunch / Dessert / Pre - Arrival Snack
    ---
  • Seat Assignment: Suite # 4J (Last row of First Class), Window Seat, American Airlines Flagship Suites First Class
    ---
  • Row Assignment: Row # 4 (Last row of First Class), American Airlines Flagship Suites First Class
    ---
  • A/C Equipped with IFE: Yes, Personal Television Monitors in all Classes, Audio Entertainment in all classes
    ---
  • A/C Equipped with Wi-Fi Wireless Internet Access: No
    ---
  • Airline Frequent Flier Program: American Airlines AAdvantage
    ---
  • Miles / Rewards / Points Earned: 14,037 AAdvantage Miles (2,342 Base Earned Miles + F-Class Mileage Bonus = 1,171 = 3,513 + Online Checkin Purchase Miles = 3,513 + Airport Kiosk Purchased Miles = 3,513 = 14,037 Miles TOTAL)
    ---
  • Airline Flight Date: September 20th, 2014
    ---
  • Boarding Call Time: 12:05 PM PST, September 20th, 2014
    ---
  • Boarding Zone: Boarding Zone # 1, Flagship Services
    ---
  • Departure Time: 12:52 PM PST, September 20th, 2014
    ---
  • Departure Gate / Jetway: Gate / Jetway 48B, Terminal 4, KLAX (Los Angeles International Airport)
    ---
  • Arrival Time: 8:12 PM EST, September 20th, 2014
    ---
  • Arrival Gate / Jetway: Gate / Jetway D23, Concourse D, Terminal 1, KMIA (Miami - International Airport / Wilcox Field / 36th Street / Pan American Field)
    ---
  • Time Aloft: 4 hours 20 minutes (260 Minutes)
    ---
  • Filed Speed: 481 KIAS
    ---
  • Filed Cruising Altitude: 39,000 feet
    ---
  • Flight Distance: Direct: 2,340 SM | Planned: 2,445 SM | Flown: 2,492 SM
    ---
  • Routing Waypoint (s) : LAX HOLTZ9 TRM PKE J78 DRK KA30Q KA30U IMMAS KF27Y KF24A KF21C KF15E KH09G KH03I LEV Q102 BAGGS SSCOT2 MIA
    ---
  • Fare Cost: $2,500.00 USD
---[/list]
FLIGHT DATA SOURCE (S) :

1. Planespotter.Net Airline Data - American Airlines Fleet Details and History

2. Planespotter.Net Airframe Data - N751AN American Airlines Boeing 777-223(ER) - cn 30798 / ln 333

3. FlightAware Live Flight Tracking Data - Live Flight Tracker ✈ American Airlines (AA) #252 ✈ 20-Sep-2014 ✈ KLAX - KMIA

4. Airline Fleet Data - American Airlines 777-200

5. Airline General Class of Service Info - American Airlines Flagship Suites - First Class Cabin

6. Airline Aircraft Specific Data / Onboard Product / Amenities - American Airlines 777-200 Flagship Suites First Class

7. Airline Onboard Dining /Cuisine Data - American Airlines International Premium Cabin Dining

8. Airline Onboard Beverage Selection Data - American Airlines

9. Airline Seat Map Data - American Airlines 777-200

10. SeatGuru Seat Map Data - American Airlines 777-200 (777) - V1

11. American Airlines - First Class Experience

12. American Airlines - Flagship Checkin

13. American Airlines - Flagship Lounge

14. American Airlines - Premium Class Duvets

FlightAware for this flight. Copyright FlightAware © 2014

Boarding N751AA, the second unique 777 reg of the day for me.

Onboard the aircraft, however, an African-American J-class flight attendant stopped me and requested to see my boarding pass, claiming that since I "was holding two boarding passes, I wasn't on this flight".(I was holding my MIA-LAX boarding pass over my LAX-MIA ticket". After I showed her my valid LAX-MIA ticket and explain my mad dash to the flight, she profusely apologized and directed me to my assigned suite in First Class, Suite 4J, which was on the opposite side of the suite I came in on, 4A.

I usually choose the last row window seat in the premium class cabin on 2+ cabin airlines (exit row on non-2+ cabin airlines, such as 3M : http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/257120 and B6 / UP : http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/251162 ) for the best view of the engine+wing. In this case however, I would have a different view of both the right side Roll's Royce Trent 892 High-Bypass turbofan engine, but I would be seeing the same general scenery on the ground. This turned out NOT to be the case however, as the flight crew took us over a much more northern-aligned routing across the United States. Thanks, Captain George and First Officer Dan!

A tray of PDB's of Champagne, water, and orange juice, probably for the next flight this bird will take in MIA.

My suite, 4J with quilted duvet, pillow, and amenity kit, but no free earbuds.

Suzanne, a middle aged Caucasian female, is the chief purser serving Flagship Suites First Class on my return flight to Miami today, aided by Rick, who is soon to become a chief purser himself after acquiring years of seniority. Both of them are personable, happy, humorous, and most of all, professional, greatly exceeding my expectations on their onboard service. Just like Richard and Roxanne on the inbound MIA-LAX flight, both F/A's go to the nth degree to make sure every First Class passenger is happy during the flight, even joking with the passengers appropriately, of course. I received three (plastic) glasses of Coca Cola Classic during the final boarding checks, even though I was very late.

First Class cabin during the final boarding checks.

PDB of coke, served up with a hearty smile by chief purser Suzanne.

Just before the L2 boarding door creaked shut, Captain George and First Officer Dan introduced themselves as well as their "nine Miami-based flight attendants" (Why do they always announce what city they're based in?) followed by Suzanne making a very clear point to ALL passengers to ONLY use the lavatory in their assigned cabin before starting the safety video. We pushed back for an on time departure (despite my lateness), and were soon taxiing to the active.

It seems I became spatially disoriented on the inbound flight. Along the taxiways, in addition to the normal phonetic alphabet taxiway direction signs, there were OTHER signs that read,

"DO NOT TURN BEFORE SHORELINE."

From the way were taxiing, it appeared that we would be taking off toward the mountains, so I assumed that we were taxiing down to the shoreline / beach end of the runway and taking off towards the mountains. Thus, these signs baffled me greatly until I saw lines and lines of parked cars at the hold-short marker, signifying that we were departing to the west over the sapphire-blue Pacific Ocean.

This flight's pilots did not seem in much of a rush to take off, slowly advancing the throttles to about 50-60%, letting them spool up about halfway, finally rotating after using about 65% of the runway. The blue sky was still obscured by an ugly gray cloud cover, but the deep blue Pacific Ocean was plainly visible, sparkling even though the sky was quite gloomy. The engine fan intake power was set surprisingly high, the pilots kept it at around 80% N1 as we turned around to the east over the shiny blue waters.
---
VIDEO - American Airlines *777-223 Flagship First Class Suites Roll's Royce Trent 892 Takeoff out of Los Angeles International Airport over the Pacific Ocean (IATA: LAX, ICAO: KLAX) - VIDEO

---

Pushback out of Gate 48B at LAX.

The other chrome livery at LAX, Aero Mexico (AM).

American Airlines Airbus A321T (I should hitch a ride on one of these in First Class one of these days...)

Horizon Bombardier Q400, the third thing you won't see anywhere near Florida.

The pilots throw the slats outboard as a shiny AA 738 rolls out past our own 777.

Sorry if you can't read it that well (or at all...) but the all-yellow sign reads "DO NOT TURN BEFORE SHORELINE."

United Express Embraer E120 Brasilia, this Brazilian sparrow was LOUD (I could hear the props chopping up raw air from my Flagship Suite!), and the propeller vibrations buffeted our aircraft! Another good report by one of my favorite reporters, Kevin: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/197933

Now you can clearly read one of the "DO NOT TURN" signs as our 772 lines up onto Runway 25 Right.

Lifting off past a menagerie of Delta, United, and other airlines' fleet workhorses, the most of interesting of which include the Delta 744 (747-400) United 788 (787-800), and Alaska Airlines 738 with Split-Scimitar winglets.

Airlines that I will try one day: Japan Airlines (JA / JAL) 777-300 Oneworld Alliance Special Livery, Singapore A380-800, Asiana A380-800, and a Korean Air (KE) A380-800. I've already been on Lufthansa (LH) on a 744 (747-400) ironically enough, doing MIA-FRA-CPH-FRA-MIA in July 2009 when my parents took my brother and I on a tour across Europe. Though, I will add Lufthansa First Class to that list anyway!

Hey, N780AA is still down there, right where I left it! :O

A large bout of wing flexing going on as we U-turn back to face MIA.

Blasting out of that pesky overcast shrouding the Los Angeles Metro Area.

Completing our eastward turn.

Rocketing past Catalina Island. Microsoft Flight Simulator X / 10 players know this location best from the Catalina Day Spa mission, where they must fly from the isle to the mainland, pick up a celebrity and her three poodle dogs, and shuttle them back to Catalina. Halfway through the mission, the single engine on the piloted Cessna 208 Caravan fails and players have two choices to successfully complete the mission: land on a nearby-sailing United States Navy aircraft carrier (earning them the Homeland Security Investigation Photo), or activate the fuel boost pump to restart the engine and continue onto California (earning them the Problem Solver Badge, although you aren't required to pick up the celebrity and her three pooches then fly them back to earn that reward).

A beautiful reflection of our fuselage onto the Roll's Royce Trent 892 as we intercept that darned cloud layer again.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

No sooner than Captain George and First Officer Dan turned off the "fasten seatbelt" sign at 10,000 feet did Suzanne and Rick begin the First Class service. Before I ordered my meal, I requested another power adapter as my Nikon was starved for fuel and the iPhone was at 50%. A Business Class flight attendant returned with a cheap-looking white plastic adapter like the ones you would typically find at Walgreens or corner stores. This inverter didn't have an A/C power plug, with only a single USB port that didn't even work. I requested a silver one from the same flight attendant, who fulfilled my request promptly.

The meal service was just as classy as the outbound LAX flight, with every step completed individually, and repeated portions always offered.

Today's Lunch, Snack, and Dessert Menu scans up in Flagship Suites First Class:

American

FLAGSHIP FIRST

Menu

oneworld

Welcome aboard

Food connects us to our world. Today's menu includes regionally inspired, flavorful cuisine for you to enjoy. We've thoughtfully selected a multi-course experience for you including award winning wines and a delectable desert.

On behalf of all of us at American Airlines, thank you for traveling with us.

-Hector Adler's Signature-
Hector Adler
Vice President -- Flight Service

Menu

STARTER
................Smoked Salmon
................Accompanied by seared ahi-tuna

SALAD
...........Seasonal Greens with Strawberries and Pecans
...........With your choice of classic Ceasar dressing or premium extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar

...........Assorted gourmet breads will be served with your meal

ENTRÉES
...............Pumpkin Seed Crusted Chicken Breast with Brown Butter Sauce
...............Accompanied by sugar snap peas and wasabi mashed sweet potatoes

...............Classic Ceasar Salad and Corn Chowder
...............Served with an optional grilled chicken skewer
...............(This soup and salad option does not include the starter salad.)

...............Pasta Duo
...............Tortellini with pesto Alfredo and Florentine manicotti with Mediterranean sauce

DESSERT
...............World's Finest Ben & Jerry's Traditional Ice Cream Sundae
...............Vanilla ice cream with your choice of hot fudge, butterscotch or seasonal berry toppings, whipped cream and chopped nuts

...............Gourmet Cheese Plate
...............An assortment of fine cheese with garnishes

Light Refreshment

Offered prior to arrival

Whole Fruit and Snacks
......................................A selection of fresh seasonal fruit and premium snacks

Cookies
.............Freshly baked on board

We apologize if your first selection is not available.

To reserve your entrée choice before your next flight, please visit www.aa.com/menu

About our wine

Knowing and appreciating wine is a lifelong journey that can take you on a magical trip around the globe, discovering new grape varieties and regions, and meeting new friends. My dream is to bring that sense of adventure to your seat every time you fly with us. Every wine is carefully selected to ensure it represents and expresses its varietal personality and geographical character. It is this passion for quality and excitement that underlines and defines our award-winning wine list.

Enjoy your flight with us today.

Enjoy!

-Ken Chase's Signature-
Ken Chase
Consulting Enologist/Viticulturalist
American Airlines

Award - Winning Wines

For the third consecutive year, we are pleased to announce that Global Traveler's "Wine on the Wing" has awarded American Airlines with Best North American Wines on the Wing, Best North American Sparkling Wine and Best North American Red Wine. For more information about American's award-winning wine program, please visit www.aa.com/wine

Wine list

SPARKLING WINE
.............................Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Carneros Brut
A lively blend of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir shows toast and apple flavors with a soft finish.[/i]

WHITE WINE
....................Line 39 Sauvignon Blanc
....................[/i]Vibrant aromas and flavors of grapefruit, lemon and lime balanced by crisp acidity on the finish.[/i]

RED WINE
................Ceibo Malbec Cabernet Sauvignon
................Bright violet tints and flavors of cherry, currant, anise, coffee and vanilla on a plush finish.

DESSERT WINE
.........................Graham's Six Grapes Port NV, Douro
.........................Touriga Nacional, Touriga Francesca, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Amarela and Tinta Cão grapes.

Beverages

We are pleased to offer you a variety of beverages on today's flight, including cocktails of your choice mixed with premium liquor.

SPIRITS
.............. Bacardi Rum
.............. Bombay Sapphire Gin
.............. Tito's Handmade Vodka

WHISKEYS
.................... Canadian Club Reserve Blended Whiskey
.................... Dewar's White Label Scotch Whiskey
.................... Jack Daniel's Tenessee Whiskey

BEERS
............. Corona Extra
............. Heneiken
............. Select American Beers

BRANDY AND LIQUERS
......................................... Bailey's Irish Cream
......................................... Courviesier V.S.O.P. Fine Champagne Cognac
......................................... DiSaronno Amaretto

OTHER BEVERAGES
.................................. Carbonated Beverages
.................................. Still and Sparkling Water
.................................. Java City™ 100% Rainforest Alliance Certified™ coffee
.................................. Java City™ decaffeinated coffee
.................................. Tea
.................................. Fruit Juices
.................................. Milk

Espresso and Cappucino are also available on the A321T aircraft

Bose QuietComfort Nose-Canceling headphones are handed out by Rick and Suzanne right before the tablecloths are laid down.

Hot towel service before the meals come around. And my version of "work", copying the thousands of media files that made up this trip report into highly organized files on my computer (Lenovo Y500 Gaming Laptop).

Fizzy Tonic Water and a ramekin of warm nuts begin the meal service (American Airlines still heats up its premium cabin nuts thankfully)

A table cloth is laid by Rick, followed by table utensils, a wine glass, salt and pepper shakers, butter, and a bread dish.

"Bakery Baguette or Pretzel Roll?" I'll take both, please. And boy were they tasty!!!

Starter dish (truncated) : A selection of smoked seafood with a sweet fresh greens salad with strawberries and pecans. Pardon my ignorance, but I bit into the first strip of fish fully expecting it to be bacon (as it appeared), so I was confused when I tasted fish, but it was still nice and chewy, not too raw either. The salad was okay, but it could have used some more strawberry and pecan toppings.

Main Course: Pumpkin Seed-Crusted Chicken Breast (which I assume means that the batter that the breast was breaded with consists of mashed pumpkin seed meat / pods) with grilled vegetables and wasabi mashed sweet potatoes. This piece of chicken was very well-cooked but not burnt to a crisp, with a tender and juicy interior that left me desiring so much more! Next, the Wasabi sweet potatoes, they had brown cinnamon sugar mixed in with the potatoes itself, which meant that they were sweetened beyond the naturally sweet flavor of the natural potato they were made from yet still not overly rich. The sugar snap peas were correctly grilled, but could have used a little more "sweetness" compared to the rest of this meal course.

"What will you be having for dessert this afternoon, Mr. McCormack? The sundae? Alright, I have a selection of Hot Fudge, Strawberry Sauce, Whipped Cream, and Chopped Nuts. Which of those would you like?" After I answer, "Everything, please!" Suzanne giggles and brings back this delicious looking ice cream sundae. Of course, it tasted just as it appeared, and the ice cream wasn't too hard to get at with a spoon either.

Cruising right along some crop circles, which are shapes of vegetation formed by the irrigation equipment in use by farmers around the US.

I normally don't include lavatory shots in my report, but duty called, so why not? Despite the large size of our Boeing Triple-Seven, this lavatory was VERY tight. Also notice the Kanji symbols (Japanese letters) in all sectors of the bathroom.

Hold on, let my generation have its trends. The ring I'm wearing is my high school graduation band-yours truly is a graduating senior in the Northeast High School Class of 2015.

Walking back to suite 4J, looks like my suite is "the light in the dark..."

A glass of water materialized on my desk during my trip to the loo--thank you F/A's, I was very thirsty by that point.

This American Airlines 772 still has not had the new IFE software installed.

Settling in for a bit of rest.

Even though I was seeing the same scenery I was as the flight out to Los Angeles, I still saw some objects of interest along the way that I did not notice on the way in--some cities, small towns, and naturally-formed features of the land below. Despite flying by (and over) DFW, IAH, BHM, and other decently-sized airports, I did not see much aircraft sharing the airspace with us until the last 25% of the flight.

About the time I woke from my slumber, Rick came around with freshly baked cookies, and again inquiring if I'd like milk. I chose coffee instead, and it was at my seat in moments.

Over the northern "square" of Texas, plenty of clouds to go around.

Despite being directly over Dallas - Fort Worth International Airport (IATA: DFW, ICAO: KDFW), I had no visual of the field until....

I looked downward, wow, that is a ton of aircraft!

Tons of American Airlines--who else at DFW :-D--aircraft. You can deduce the aircraft that haven't repainted yet by looking for the frames with the sun glinting off of them.

Hot, melting chocolate chip cookies and rich Arabica Coffee--does life get any better? Not for me, right at this moment at least!

Either a WN or AA 738 making some clouds of his own in the faraway horizon.

Noooooooooooo! I don't want this flight to end so soon!

Turning to enter the heathens below us, note the highly-detailed reflection on the engine cowling.

Feeling the distinct downward motion of sadness: we're descending to land as solar rays create some interesting lighting affects as they bounce off the white clouds outside.

Entering a cloud system which was very, very large in span--we remained in it (with our views of practically anything in the horizon completely obstructed) for most of the approach over the Gulf of Mexico.

The most I ever saw of the sunset. Why does time go by so fast when you're having a good time...?

Getting close, having passed by PNS, JAX, and MCO, now nearby RSW, EYW, HAV, and our final destination of Miami.

Various shades of blue outside.

"They" say "All Good Things Must Come To An End". Though it's an overused cliché, I couldn't think of any other better choice of words to describe the situation I was facing at that moment. These two flights were the best in my life, and I have flown over 235,000 miles despite being only eighteen years old, so to see the end come so soon was a bit of a major downer.

Most of the approach was spent under cloud systems, but we occasionally broke out of the various water vapor formations when Air Traffic Control (ATC) told our flight crew to descend further into MIA. Despite our normal routing west into the airport over the Everglades Conservation Area (Everglades National Park), it soon became apparent that we were over a pitch-black stretch of nothing after leaving the east coast of Florida behind. We would be taking the overwater approach over the Atlantic Ocean! We touched down right about 8:00 PM EST, rolling into Gate D23. Before I deplaned my 777, I thanked Richard as well as Suzanne for their excellent customer service before one final request: a visit to the flight deck of N751AN for a series of cockpit night-lighting shots. I walked away from these flights feeling quite happy and fulfilled.
---
VIDEO - American Airlines 777-223 Flagship First Class Suites Roll's Royce Trent 892 WEST COAST OF FLORIDA Nighttime Approach - VIDEO
---
VIDEO - American Airlines 777-223 Flagship First Class Suites Roll's Royce Trent 892 ATLANTIC OCEAN APPROACH AND LANDING OVER DOWNTOWN MIAMI into Miami International Airport (IATA: MIA, ICAO: KMIA) - VIDEO
---
VIDEO - American Airlines 777-223 Flagship First Class Suites Roll's Royce Trent 892 TAXI-IN to Gate D23 and ENGINE SHUTDOWN+PARKING PROCEDURES in Concourse D at Miami International Airport VIDEO

The cabin floodlights come on as Rick goes to proclaim the "seatbacks upright / traytables locked" announcement.

Thirteen minutes to Miami International Airport (MIA), but don't be fooled by the IFE screen, we're not landing straight in. Instead, we're going to overfly the Atlantic Ocean and spin around towards MIA.

Overflying the South Floridian Metropolis, and....

Flying right past the airport for an Atlantic Ocean Approach!

Intercepting the East Coast of Florida, with Downtown Miami right below us.

Jetblasting the skyline of Miami, Florida on long final.

Short final into MIA.

AA252, coming in hot!

Touchdown on a water-slicked runway at Miami International.

Spoilers deployed, ruby landing lights flashing, and reverse thrust roaring as we roll out.

So we landed either on Runway 27 or Runway 3 at MIA....?

Swiping past the American Eagle / Envoy Air (MQ) "micro-terminal" on our way into our assigned gate.

My window fogs up (Gah!!!) as we pull into Concourse D.

Bah! The window remains coated in materialized water as we conclude our flight at Gate D23 in MIA.

Looking back into the Flagship Suites First Class cabin one last time before thanking Rick, Suzanne, and finally the flight crew for an amazing flight. Oh, and taking some Boeing 777-223 panel night-lighting shots in the cockpit, of course!

American Airlines (At the time of writing) Boeing 777-223ER N751AN's Cockpit with the overhead yellow floodlights on and the green backlighting on the "low" setting.

American Airlines (At the time of writing) Boeing 777-223ER N751AN's Flight Deck with the overhead yellow floodlights off and the emerald backlighting ramped up to the "high setting", so beautiful.

Really easy to catch the reg when it is clearly printed and backlighted right in front of you.

The full splendor of the cockpit becomes visible when I turn the flash on in my camera settings.

Deplaning up the jetway into the D Concourse at Miami International Airport.

Last views of N751AN as I walk away from the mighty bird--you will be missed dearly!
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

---
MIAMI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (IATA: MIA, ICAO: KMIA), MIAMI, FLORIDA
---

Walking into the D Concourse at MIA, I wasn't sure what to do with myself. I considered going to the Oneworld Premium lounge, but I was way too tired to do anything else on this mind-blowing day. So, I just called it quits and headed down to the taxi-que, getting a ride-for-hire home, and finally falling into a deep slumber in my bed.

Drowsily taking the SkyTrain to the Taxi-bay.

Hey Ma! This is probably the last time I'll be able to see my plane up here!
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

---

Thank you for taking the time to read my work! Comments are very much appreciated and welcomed!

---

-LPDAL / Colby McCormack
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
Fantastic TR! I really enjoyed reading it.

If you want to find out what First class is really all about, start working on a trip on CX, EK or SQ in F.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Colby, I'm just going to echo what was said over on A.net. Your reports are very thorough and that's great. Your enthusiasm is also evident and that's very nice to see in a community like FT, where some of us would just shrug at the prospect of AA F MIA-LAX, or MIA-MCO.

Don't take this all personally, but seriously, I would just tone down the comments that allude to your socioeconomic status (that at 18, and as a HS student, could very well be inherited/indirect at this point).

Look to SFO777 for a good example of living a luxurious lifestyle without very often alluding to his socioeconomic status directly or sounding pretentious about what he does. And one more critique, lose some of the extraneous data at the beginning of the flight (and especially on public transportation), just put in the basics, and please, if you eliminate one thing, make it the fare.

Just my $.02, and I do enjoy your reports' thoroughness and good photos and most of the commentary you provide.

Last edited by matthandy; Oct 3, 2014 at 2:44 am Reason: Edited to remove personal attacks and snark
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG
dude, I am so sorry an "african-american" flight attended caused you angst...

Last edited by matthandy; Oct 3, 2014 at 2:52 am Reason: Removed snark
Old Sep 26, 2014, 3:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Great trip report! Loved all the pictures... would love to fly AA Flagship F someday! Glad that hasn't been DUI'ed (yet) by Dougie

Last edited by matthandy; Oct 3, 2014 at 2:53 am Reason: Reference to quote now removed
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Great pictures.

BTW, the Centurion aircraft in MIA is an MD-11 (notice the winglets)

@sky303 - give the guy a break. He is obviously very enthusiastic, and only 18.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
Great pictures.

BTW, the Centurion aircraft in MIA is an MD-11 (notice the winglets)

@sky303 - give the guy a break. He is obviously very enthusiastic, and only 18.
He asked for feedback, and over on A.net he got a lot of that but much more bluntly. Like I said, I love the enthusiasm and the detail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.