A long journey home via Kingdom of Sakura with Thai F & ANA C

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A long journey home via Kingdom of Sakura with Thai F & ANA C

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: AY Plus, Eurobonus, Flying Blue
Excellent TR, especially the pics. Used to live in France a long time and CDG is a very familiar place, especially T1.
Old May 31, 2014, 4:10 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Love the photos and your sense of humor. Look forward to more!
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:12 am
Original Poster

My trip in Japan involving four prefectures, Osaka (大阪), Kyoto (京都), Nara (奈良) and Hyogo (兵庫), also know as Kansai Area (関西地方). Since there are so many trip reports about Japan on Flyertalk, I do not want to go very much into it, just a few photos. The cherry blossoms has a extraordinary short viewing time, usually no more than two week and vary from place to place. As a result, while I been to Kyoto, only very little cherry blossoms left.

Arashiyama (嵐山), a peace town west of Kyoto.

Cherry blossoms on the bank of Kamogawa River (鴨川).

Kiyomizu Temple (清水寺), located at the hillside of East Mountain (東山).

At Kodai Temple (高台寺), witnessing a Japanese wedding in this Buddhist temple.

Deers in Nara's parks.

Toriis in Fushimiinari-taisha (伏見稻荷大社).

Night at Kyoto.

Arima Onsen (有馬溫泉) is a small town famous for its hot springs.

Osaka Prefecture Police Headquarters (大阪府警察本部)

Moat of Osaka-jo Castle (大阪城).

Big, fat kitty encounter.

The sheltering wall behind the gate is built with big stones, up to 500 tone.

Osaka-jo Castle is located just under the descend path to Osaka International Airport, usually called as Itami Airport (伊丹空港, ITM).

even more photos on my flickr page:Transit through Kansai

Last edited by Jian Kuang; Jun 4, 2014 at 4:57 am
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:27 am
Original Poster

"Soaring up to 300 meters, the Osaka Marriott Miyako Hotel, occupies 38th to 57th floors of the 60 floor multifaceted cultural complex, Abeno Harukas, the new Osaka landmark. " This Marriott Hotel is newly open in March 2014.

External view of Abeno Harukas Building, from Marriott's website.

Elevator hallway on 16 floor, where the hotel front desk and main restaurant is. At here, we could got a great view towards Namba (难波) and even further, the Osaka Bay (大阪湾) and Mount Rokko (六甲山).

Concourse and lounge bar.

Within the guest room. My room was on 46 floor, South facing with a wonderful view of the city.

The Marriott Hotel offering its guests the opportunity to visit the observation deck, Harukas 300, before the official opening time. It means, 59 and 60 floor was occupied by Marriott's guests only, from 6am till 7am. If the air condition was better, more spectacular scenery could be viewed.

Garden in the air, 59 floor.

Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:56 am
Original Poster

ANA is operating one daily round-trip flight between Osaka Kansai and Hong Kong. My flight was NH 175, scheduled to take off at 1045. Consequently, I had to been to the airport around 0815.

Kansai Airport Railway Station, where my trip began 6 days ago.

Three Cathay's planes gathering at North Concourse, companying with Malaysia Airlines and ANA. It is funny to find that, Cathay and Malaysia is grouping with ANA, a Star Alliance member, rather than JAL. On the other hand, some Star Alliance members, such as Air China and Singapore Airlines, are sharing the South Concourse with JAL, a Oneworld Alliance member.

'Valley' at the front part of Terminal 1, which bringing sunshine down to the arrival area at the ground floor.

Kansai Airport was built on a manmade island offshore on Osaka Bay. The terminal was designed by Italian architect Renzo Piano.

Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:09 am
Original Poster

A few word about the unpleasant check-in with ANA. It did not took me too long to wait before I was lead to the Business Class counter.

A few minute after my passport was presented, the young lady handed out a seat map and asked me which seat (pointing at Economy Class section) I prefer, window seat or aisle seat.

Since I had booked a Business Class seat on that flight, so I replied: "I'm really sorry that, I think my seat was already assigned. Here is the e-mail from ANA." I handover my phone, with Check-in notification containing my ticket information as well as a QR code.

The young lady buried in the computer for another 6 or 7 minutes, and asked me to place my luggage on the belt. So, I took all my two luggages on there. Immediately, the lady told me: "One piece only."

I was completely embarrassed at that moment, "I'm sorry again, would you check it once more? I am quite certainly that, I have the allowance to check two pieces of luggage."

It costed another 5 minute, the luggage tags were attached, the boarding pass and lounge invitation was handed out.

I still considering that, how the ground service influencing passengers' image of ANA, as a Skytrax 5 star Airlines.

Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Due to the long queue at the security check points, it costed me half an hour to pass through it and the immigration. The shops after the immigration counter.

Shuttle train run between the North Concourse and Main Terminal.

Thai's A380 was standing by for its return flight to Bangkok as TG 623.

The ANA lounge was quite noisy, not from the passengers inside, from the shuttle train running above the lounge.

Breakfast choice was certainly limited, not as various as the lounges would provide at Narita Airport. I think it is a good idea to fill the stomach up before boarding any ANA flight. Because the size of ANA's in-flight meals was just too small. Haha!

Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:20 am
Original Poster

My seat was 5G, on the right hand side. It gave me a chance in thoroughgoing knowing on the hospitality of ANA, Kansai Airport and Japanese people. A huge group of ground staffs stood on the apron side by side, facing the aircraft with two banners. They were wishing every passengers onboard would have a nice journey. After this B767-300 was pushed back, all ground staffs, 46 in total walked over and stood in a line. They bowed to the airplane together, then waved together. A warmly good bye indeed.^

I had carried on a bag of bone china teapot and teacups. I just threw it into the overhead bin without any concern. But the stewardess, Ms Takamatsu came up and asked me kindly about the containing of that paper bag. And I told her so. She explained, the seat next to me will be vacant on today's flight. She placed my bag on the seat, buckle it up with two pillows at each side. A few minute later, I was very grateful to what she had done. Because the airplane climbed up the sky so steep that, the luggages in the overhead bin sliped backward violently, with a strong crash sound.

Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:30 am
Original Poster

There were three beverage services before the meal service. I choice Sparking water for my first round.

Second round, champagne please.

ANA's in-flight menus change every season. The spring menu containing the food selection of March, April and May.

"Delectable reginal dishes, focused on fine ingredients from the Kansai region, provide a unique taste of Western Japan."

4月
Japanese Cuisine

Kuchidori (Treats to pair with sake)
Sea bream sushi
Deep-fried sillago with sea urchin
Marinated field mustard and icefish in lightly soy-based sauce
Japanese omelet with spicy cod roe

Otsukuri (A selection of sashimi)
Kombu kelp-cured trout
Bigfin reef squid

Shusai (Main course)
Grilled chicken with sesame flavor
:-:[196 kcal]:-:

Rice
Steamed rice mixed with bamboo shoot

Miso soup

Wagashi (Classic Japanese sweet bites)
Senkyakubanrai (Throngs of Visitors)

April
International Cuisine

Appetizer
Smoked duck on brochette
Aspic of scallop, Atlantic salmon and vegetables
Pork rillette gratin

Main course
Sauteed "Akashi" sea bream with seafood sauce
:-:[263 kcal]:-:

Bread
Soft roll

Desert
Strawberry milk mousse
Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:35 am
Original Poster

The disadvantage of ANA's short haul service was, they would give you a tray full of everything, from tea cup to wine glass, from appetizer to main course, from bread to desert. The presentation was wonderful anyway, but the customers could not enjoy their meal comfortable anyhow.

Tea time after the meal.

Flying over Kyushu Island again, with some volcanoes beneath.

NH 175 is the longest flight of ANA from Osaka Kansai, it representing the highest standard of Osaka based crews. Overall speaking, they were much more careful and hearty than the Tokyo based crews on short-haul flights.^^

End of the first part of my trip report
Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:17 am
Original Poster

The inbound flights were easier and more straight-forward. From Hong Kong to Paris CDG, making the connection at Bangkok Suvarnabhumi, both with Thai. It rained a lot during this April, so I decided to reach Hong Kong Airport a little earlier. The most connivent way travel to HKG from mainland China must be the mini-van, avoiding any queue at the border control checkpoints.

Not like other Star Alliance members, Thai's check-in counters located at T2 instead of T1. The moment I approached to the First Class counter, all three agents cruising around rushed to me immediately. I thought they were considering me as the 'bad' passenger who try to check-in at the wrong counters.

behind the counter, the young lady in DragonAir uniform asked me tensely, "Business Class or Economy Class?" This could explain why they seen so nervous while I walk toward the First Class counter. I handed out my passport and replied mischievously, "I don't remember at this moment, would you check it for me please?" In fact, I knew all my itinerary clearly.

While I was waiting for the boarding pass, the supervisor came up and talked about the bad weather could be at that night. He encouraged me to alter to an earlier flight.
S: "But it will no First Class there, only Business Class."
I: "What about the inbound flight from Bangkok?"
S: "On the way already, and it will be on time, so far. The weather is going to change worse, 50-50."
I: "Thank you very much, I would like to try me luck."

Escalators down to the shuttle train station.

Catched a shuttle train to the farthest part of the terminal.

Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:37 am
Original Poster

I had nearly 2 hour before the setted boarding time, I went to the United Club at first. Global First Lounge at HKG, better than the 'original' ones at American airports, I think.

The lounge staff gave me the menu, which I could order food and drink from.

Food counter.

Haha! United's in-flight magazine Hemispheres and duty-free guide. It did recalling me the exciting days in US years ago.

Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Plaza Premium Lounge, the largest pay-in lounge in Hong Kong Airport.

The bridge Lounge, the newest lounge from Cathay Pacific. Is there anyone have visit it so far?

Move back to the Thai's Royal Orchid Lounge for shower.

Very nice mango and shrimp salad, ordered from the menu as well.^

Last edited by Jian Kuang; Jun 14, 2014 at 2:06 am
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Very nice photos! Thanks for posting the trip report!
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: SPG LTPlat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by Jian Kuang
The time I spent at Bangkok, could be said with best air quality in April. In other word, it rained a lot. Atmosphere was full of steam, which make people feel much hotter than the accurate temperature was. Thanks to the covered bridge along the streets, I dit not suffer much from the grilling sunshine.

Shortage on reliable public transport network, Bangkok's metropolitan area filled with motorcycles and tuk-tuks, a kind of third-wheel passenger motorcycles.

Actually there are two Skytrain lines ( MRT ) plus the underground.

There is only one MRT line, Bangkok's precious underground rail transit system, sub-circling the downtown with cool and fast commuting services.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.