Wiki Posts
Search

Five Continents in 3 Days and Some Other Mad Trips in 2012

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 10:23 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
So I've now arrived at my fourth continent two calendar days (plus 4 longhaul flights and a midhaul flight) after leaving New Zealand. En route (to date) I've crossed the equator twice, passed over 220 degrees of longitude and 91 degrees of latitude (not counting backtracking). Flown distance is nearly 24,000 miles; which is enough for New Zealand to Europe return (i.e. once around the world).

map

There is still some more to go before my first overnight stop on this trip.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 30, 2014 at 10:29 pm
Old May 31, 2014, 5:53 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sao Paulo to Houston (GRU-IAH) on United Airlines 767-200 in business class

There were two lounges available to me - United and TAM. The United lounge was big but poor amenities, whereas the TAM lounge was much nicer but crowded. After checking both lounges I went back into the terminal and found a spot where I could catch up on some papers and watch a little of the world go by.

Since I was now back to flying a USA airline I made sure to be at the gate early so I would have room in the overhead bins by my seat for my carryon. While the seats are very old and not up to scratch for long domestic USA flights let alone international, one positive is the 2-1-2 layout meaning no seat neighbor and bigger armrests.

While the meal was served after takeoff it was nowhere near as early in the flight as the earlier redeye on SQ. Still it was quicker than the meal service for a daytime flight and I was soon done and nodding off.

Or rather trying to. The cabin was a bit noisy - lots of excited families heading home for Christmas. There was also moderate turbulence throughout the night.

I skipped breakfast in the vain hope of getting a bit more sleep. The cabin was too noisy for that. Oh well.

We landed in Houston on time and our gate was a moderate walk from immigration. The visitor lines were very slow moving and eventually many people were moved into the empty US lines to be processed.
Old May 31, 2014, 5:54 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

United Airlines
Business Class menu
Sao Paulo to Houston
December 2012

Menu

To Begin

Chilled Appetizer

Fresh Seasonal Greens
Cucumber, sun-dried tomatoes and mozarella cheese with you choice of creamy herb dressing or balsamic vinaigrette

Main Course

Grilled Tenderloin of Beef
Chimchurri sauce, Brazilian-style rice with peas, corn and cashew nuts and grilled carrots, zucchini and bell pepper

Roasted Breast of Chicken
Filled with spinach, cheese and walnuts, shiitake mushrooms sauce, asparagus risotto, green beans and pumpkin

Grilled Fillet of Sea Bass
Ginger-herb marinade, garlic mashed potatoes with black olives and carrots and zucchini

Shiitake Mushroom-filled Pasta Pockets
Creamy marinara sauce and Parmesan cheese

Executive Dining
If you prefer more time to work or relax, ask a flight attendant about our executive dining service. At your request, we will present your main meal followed by dessert based on your schedule.

To Finish

International Cheese Selection
Grapes and crackers with Noval Fine Ruby Port

Dessert
Ice cream with your choice of toppings

Prior to Arrival menu

Herbed Omelette
Lyonnaise potatoes, Viennese and breakfast sausages and tomato

Cereal and Banana
Served with milk

Breakfast breads with butter and fruit preserves

Featured Champagne and Wines

Champagne

Paul Dangin Brut NV, Champagne
What separates true Champagne from other sparkling wines is not only the place (called Champagne) but its tangy, toasty and minerally finish.

or

Pannier AOP Brut Tradition NV, Champagne
A medium-bodied style of Champagne, Pannier has citrus, vanilla and green apple notes as well as biscuity aromas that are almost like fresh brioche.

White Wine

Burgans Albarino 2009, Rias Baixas, Spain
America has become the number one Albarino market because Americans have fallen in love with the citrus-rich, green apple notes in these delicious wines.

Kunde Estate-Bottled Chardonnay 2010, Sonoma Valley
A long-established family in Sonoma, the Kundes, have long made a balanced style of Chardonnay, where oak never overwhelms the bright, tangy fruit.

or

Sonoma-Cutrer Chardonnay 2010, Russian River Ranches
Considered the American restaurant-goer's favourit Chardonnay, Sonoma-Cutrer has long been noted for an unusually crisp and apple-tinged style of the grape.

Red Wine

Santa Duc AOP Les Buissons 2010, Cairanne, Cotes du Rhone Villages
The southern Rhone Valley is on a roll : excellent Grenache-based wines of great intensity and weight are common and Santa Duc is among the best.

Chateau Bellegrave 2010, Medoc Cru Bourgeois
The 2010 vintage has been trumpeted as among Bordeaux's best in decades; we are ecstatic about being able to offer Chateau Bellegrave 2010.

Regional Specialty

Tilia Sustainably Farmed Malbec 2010, Mendoz (Catena)
Malbec is a rich and powerful red wine similar to Australian Shiraz, and its spectacular growth has supplanted Aussie red wine worldwide.

Beverage and Bar Service

Spirits

Absolut Vodka
Bombay Sapphire Dry Gin
Bacardi Superior Light Rum
The Glenlivet Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Dewar's "White Label" Blended Scotch Whisky
Crown Royal Canadian Whisky
Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey
Jim Beam Black Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Liqueurs and Cognac

Grand Marnier
Courvoisier VSOP Fine Champagne Cognac
Disaronno Amaretto
Baileys Irish Cream
Kahlua

Beer

Budweiser
Miller Lite
Heineken

Beverages

Assorted Soft Drinks
Bottled Water
Seltzer Water
Tonic Water
Apple Juice
Cranberry-Apple Juice Cocktail
Orange Juice
Tomato Juice
Bloody Mary Mix
Coffee (Regular and Decaffeinated)
Hot Tea

Regional specialty beverages may be available on your flight. Please ask your flight attendant for additional selections.

CO 12/12
5738/1860 GIG-IAH, GRU-EWR/IAH
241CO03-4
Old May 31, 2014, 6:02 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Thus marks five continents in three days including 5 longhaul flights and 1 midhaul flight. If I'd been flying on Oneworld around the world ticket instead of Star Alliance it would have been 6 continents as NZ counts as part of the Southwest Pacific "continent".

En route (to date) I've crossed the equator three times, flown 28,600 miles (which is not exception for 3 days flying for me). Including the backtracking I've flown 355 degrees of longitude and 222 degrees of latitude. Whereas the crow flies distance is a mere 7,500 miles.

map

Despite all this, I still haven't yet reached my first overnight stop on this trip.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:15 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Houston to Atlanta (IAH-ATL) on United Airlines CRJ in first economy first class

Once through immigration and customs, and a quiet security at this early hour of the day I had enough time to visit a few of the United lounges while stretching my legs. Since I'd ticketed United had made several schedule changes. I kept losing first class and then got it reinstated by switching flights. This happened a few times. I ended up with a longer transit in Houston than I'd like but the alternative was a shortish connection from the overnight flight which I may not have made anyway.

While I was waiting in one of the lounges I was surprised to see on the tv screens that there were tornado warnings active for the airport. The lounge staff seemed unconcerned and we had a wee chat. They expected that most likely there would not be an actual tornado at the airport, and they were right although there were twisters not too far away.

Because of the weather the flight was quite late in leaving. After takeoff we headed in the opposite direction for about 20 minutes. The front that spawned the tornadoes (actual and warnings) was moving eastward towards Georgia. This meant a bumpy flight with a zig-zag routing, and of course no beverage service. En route we passed the front, but only just. There were spectacular storms on my way to the hotel and through the evening.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:26 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Atlanta to Charlotte (ATL-CLT) on US Airways A321 in first class

The weather was still poor so I arrived at the airport slightly early having been generous in allowing for slow traffic. Check in was quick - 2 more boarding passes. I asked how flights were looking for punctuality, given my connection was only an hour and there are limited flights to my destination. Okay at this stage but the weather in Charlotte was deteriorating.

I got lucky and picked a fast moving security queue, then walked out to the terminal with the lounge. It was basic but the bad coffee was good enough caffeine wise to keep my going.

The flight left on time. Due to the weather there were no views to be had, and indeed the ground did not come into sight on arrival until just a couple of miles from the airport. We got lucky. Many other flights were significantly delayed.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:39 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Charlotte to New Orleans (CLT-MSY) on US Airways A319 in first class

I had just enough time to poke my nose into the lounge before heading to the next gate, because it too had managed to escape weather delays.

The flight was fairly ordinary US domestic first. No food. Limited beverage. Seat bearable. Poor IFE. No views out the window for the first two thirds of the flight but nice for the last part.

The part of the terminal we arrived at was rather decrepit but at least warm. It was brisk outside with the temperature in the low 40s F (during the middle of the day). At least it was sunny.
Old May 31, 2014, 7:38 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

New Orleans to San Francisco (MSY-SFO) on United Airlines A319 in first class

With no lounge and a small airport terminal there wasn't much to do other than grab a drink and watch the flow of people arriving and departing. I enquired about rerouting through Houston in a vain attempt to fly United's new 787 but no dice.

I much prefer United's domestic first to US Airways. There was food vs no food. More beverage options and better service with refills. IFE - okay only overhead screens but at least there was a movie to watch, or alternatively listen to channel 9 on the audio.

With much of the flight being in darkness I tried (badly I think) to guess the names of the cities that we passed indicated by lights below.
Old May 31, 2014, 9:10 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I'd worked out that the flights I had booked for this trip and the next one would leave me just shy of my second lifetime elite status. With three quarters of a day to spare I booked a side trip on great fares. Any decent fare was going to give me too many miles for lifetime status, so not wanting to waste them I opted for different airlines (and separate tickets) in each direction.

With several flights across 3 tickets, I didn't want to risk weather issues so that narrowed down my choice of destinations for the side trip. No United 787 this time.
Old May 31, 2014, 9:16 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

San Francisco to Los Angeles (SFO-LAX) on American Airlines 737-800 in first class

An early start to the day. Check in was quick and 2 boarding passes issued. Security was also quick so I had enough time for a drink in the lounge before heading to the gate to board.

We left slightly early. I tried to doze but ended up with my face in the window the whole flight, taking in the scenery in the wonderful early morning soft light. We landed early, which was a relief as my connection was very tight. I had just enough time to visit the lounge and stash the drink coupons for someone else to use before heading to the satellite terminal for my next flight.
Old May 31, 2014, 9:22 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Los Angeles to San Diego (LAX-SAN) on American Airlines CRJ in first class

There were a number of flights departing from the satellite terminal around the same time so I had to wait for the 2nd bus to arrive. Despite this minor delay boarding hadn't yet started.

This flight was quite empty, and there were even spare seats in first. I can't remember encountering this before on a USA airline domestic first class flight before. Instead of stairs, as would be used elsewhere if not connected to an airbridge, there was a funny ramp thing. I guess this makes it easier for wheelchair passengers.

We were given a beverage and some refills, but I spent most of this short flight also looking at the views.

The arrival into SAN reminded me a little of Wellington with the hills and harbor views, and flying apparently close to buildings. We parked up outside the satellite terminal with another ramp thing to disembark for the short walk across the tarmac.
Old May 31, 2014, 9:46 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

San Diego to San Francisco (SAN-SFO) on United Airlines 757-200 in first class

I walked across to the main terminal. It was poorly signposted, but I expected that and had early checked the route for walkability on google maps. Check in and security were quick. I had some time to fill before my flight as I'd allowed plenty of time for disruptions, so I wandered the small terminal for some laps before heading to the lounge. I could see the JL 787 parked up at another terminal awaiting its return flight to Tokyo.

The lounge was much fuller than I expected but I found a quiet corner to catch up on some paperwork. The time passed quickly and I timed my short walk to the gate perfectly, arriving just as boarding commenced.

The flight was full. The beverages flowed freely. I dozed for a bit. We landed early.

I'd deliberately chosen to fly AA on the way out and UA on the way back to avoid another round of security (utilising the airside walkway between UA domestic and *A international piers) and in the hopes of accessing the lounge without waiting for check in to open for my next flight on the around the world ticket. On another trip I'd been caught out and had to wait at SFO landside for check in to open for the next flight.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:59 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

San Francisco to Auckland (SFO-AKL) on Air New Zealand 747-400 in business class

I skipped past the United lounge for the Eva lounge, which Air New Zealand used at SFO even before BR joined star alliance, as I knew from previous experience that it was nicer (albeit without a shower). The Singapore lounge was closed being in between their departures.

The lounge staff were able to check me in and issue a boarding pass, to my surprise. I'd expected to have to head for the gate about 75 minutes before departure to check in (ahead of check in deadline). Even better, as the boarding pass was on Air New Zealand stock there would be no reissue of the boarding pass at the gate for NZ to check my entry eligibility.

I found a corner to do some work and keep awake, while the lounge quickly filled up to overflowing. Around an hour before departure I made my way to the gate. With IFE switched on already I don't mind boarding early and starting a movie, especially on evening departures. The movie finishes around the same time as the meal service so no need to stay awake to see the end of the movie.

The flight was pretty good (I think - I slept most of it) and the normal good food, drink and service. Air New Zealand was trialling a different flight approach for landing at Auckland airport that is supposed to be more fuel efficient without reducing capacity. I didn't really notice much of a difference.

We landed about 45 minutes early, since we did not have a significant delay departing SFO while the schedule is padded to allow for SFO airport congestion.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:04 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Air New Zealand
Business Class menu
San Francisco to Auckland
December 2012

Supper

To begin

Italian appetiser of cured beef, boccononi and marinated artichoke with asparagus salad

From the bakery

Garlic bread, black olive bread and wholegrain sourdough bread

Mains

Lamb two ways with seared loin, braised shank on crushed parsnips and lemon braised Swiss chard, baby beetroot and green olive tarragon tapenade

Chilli and garlic prawns on creamed sundried tomato and basil linguine with courgette, offered with freshly shaved parmesan and rocket

Chicken breast with spicy plum and star anise sauce, ginger risotto cake, pak choy and gai lan

To finish

Vanilla Swiss almond ice cream with poached black cherries and raspberry meringue crush

Coffee glazed tiramisu with cappuccino cream

Cheese

A selection of fine New Zealand cheese served with fig relish and cracker selection

Hot drinks

Freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate

Self-service snacks

Help yourself from our range of snacks available for you to enjoy during your flight.

Breakfast

Fast dine breakfast

Please let your flight attendant know if you would like to sleep-in and we will wake you as late as possible and offer you a hot bacon roll and a beverage of your choice.

Wake-up drinks

Start your day with a fruit smoothie, your choice of juice, freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate

Light breakfast

A bowl of cereal topped with yoghurt and fresh fruit is available as a lighter option

Full breakfast

Fruit and cereals will be offered followed by a hot bakery selection and your choice of a hot breakfast

Fresh fruit salad

Fruit or plain yoghurt

Granola or Mueslix or Raisin Bran cereal, Weet-Bix, Corn Flakes

From the bakery

Croissants, wholemeal and fruit toast with fruit conserve

From the stove

Scrambled eggs with chorizo sausage, paprika dusted potato wedges and cherry tomato

Belgian waffles, strawberries, breakfast syrup and freshly whipped banana cream

Hot bacon roll - a warmed roll, buttered and filled with grilled bacon, offered with caramelised onion jam and barbecue sauce

Drinks

Wine

The premium wine selection onboard this flight has been chosen by our wine consultants : John Belsham of Foxes Island Wines, Kate Radbund of CJ Pask Winery and Jim Harre, nationally recognised wine judge. For details of our onboard wines, refer to your Air New Zealand Wine Guide.

New Zealand Sparkling Wine

Fresh, bright, lifted nose with toasty notes. The palate shows strawberry and lemon with rich yeast flavours. Elegant and well balanced with a long lingering aftertaste.

Champagne

G.H. Mumm Cordon Rouge, France
The bubbles are rich on the palate, but never over-powering. The perfect balance is combined with a rounded, full vinosity. The mix of fresh fruit and caramel aromas give even more intensity to the finish. This is a subtly balanced wine with a remarkable capacity to linger in the mouth.

Spirits

Glenfiddich Malt Whisky, Chivas Regal Blended Whisky, Jack Daniel’s Black Label, Gordons Gin, 42 Below Vodka, Courvoisier VSOP, Coruba Rum, Ron Bacardi Superior

Port and Liqueurs

Portuguese Port, Grand Marnier, Baileys Irish Cream

Beer

A selection of beer featuring Steinlager Pure, Export Gold, Heineken and low alcohol lager.

Cold drinks

Mineral water, orange juice, apple juice, tomato juice, cranberry juice, pineapple juice, cola, lemonade, L&P (sparkling lemon drink), tonic water, ginger ale, diet cola, diet lemonade.

Hot drinks

Freshly brewed coffee, decaffeinated coffee, English Breakfast tea, chamomile tea, lemon and ginger tea, decaffeinated tea, raspberry, strawberry and loganberry and cranberry and pomegranate, Earl Grey tea, peppermint tea, green tea, hot chocolate

NZ7_SFOAKL_DIN_312
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:21 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Auckland to Singapore (AKL-SIN) on Singapore Airlines 777-200ER in business class

The crowded lounge was consistent with all the longhaul overnight flights being full.

I often wonder if, at busy travel periods like this, there is a major irrop (eg airport or airspace being closed for a day or more) how the airlines get people to their destinations once flights resume. There is barely any available seats for days on end. Do they really make people wait for a week or more?

Anyway, I digress. I've flown this redeye flight many times. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I hate it.

On the plus side. (A) it opens up convenient transfer to connecting flights that in some cases are more suitable than trying to connect from the daytime Singapore flight (although that isn't a factor this time). (B) the daytime flight might be full. (C) get a good sleep on this flight versus none or limited sleep on the daytime flight. (D) available for business class award redemption (versus very limited business class award availability on the daytime flight). (E) easier to fly into AKL the same day.

On the minus side. (A) no first class to upgrade to or be op-upped to. (B) since I'm usually connecting to another longhaul flight it isn't a good thing to sleep too much on the first flight. (C) lounge catering at AKL is dire late in the evening. (D) seats are not as good - old vs new.

I was warmly welcomed back aboard including by some crew I'd previously flown with. I managed a pre-departure drink and decline the supper and breakfast meals (unless I wake up) before falling asleep. I did end up waking for breakfast, but only when the meal service was three-quarters completed. I was offered the full meal (albeit rushed) but opted for just a coffee and juice.

We landed on time and had the usual long taxi to our gate on the other side of the terminal complex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.