Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A seat (LH F), a Porsche, a bed (LH F/EY F), Southern OZ+AKL, a tasting menu (QF F)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A seat (LH F), a Porsche, a bed (LH F/EY F), Southern OZ+AKL, a tasting menu (QF F)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:02 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by oneworld82
Funny thing was that the first class cabin on this plane had not been retrofitted and hence seats had no personal screen.
It is actually business class, not first class but the seats are more similar to long haul premium economy that is fitted on the QF A380 and B744.
The video monitors are actually stored in the arm-rest.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by igel
It is actually business class, not first class but the seats are more similar to long haul premium economy that is fitted on the QF A380 and B744.
The video monitors are actually stored in the arm-rest.
Very good point!

Last edited by CXtoQF; Nov 15, 2013 at 12:29 pm
Old Nov 16, 2013, 3:41 pm
azj

I've been following your reporting from the start. I just returned from a 3 week jaunt to NZ and am getting back into the swing of reality. I'm all caught up on your travels and I felt like I was reading a great travel story, perhaps even felt I was with you (no weirdness intended) and not just a report on a blog site. Well done!

Oh… and having just finished 3 weeks on the North Island, from top to bottom and most everything in between, I urge you to explore the North Island as well. People were shocked that we didn't visit the South Island in our travels, but the North Island is incredible as well. Perhaps not AS stunning, but beautiful none the less. I too will definitely be back to NZ and will explore the South Island.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Hilton Auckland - Beat the location, if you can!

Deleted

Last edited by oneworld82; Dec 13, 2016 at 2:39 am
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
The shower looks quite dirty - am I right?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
The shower looks quite dirty - am I right?
It didn't look like, but now that I re-look at the photo I'd say so...!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Wow.. you have made me quite homesick! Great TR! Looking forward to the final chapter..

In particular you reminded me how awesome the SA wine regions are.. *sigh*
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:05 pm
Suspended

AKL-MEL Busienss Class

Bring this one on!!

Last edited by CXtoQF; Nov 24, 2013 at 3:24 pm
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:08 pm
Suspended

greatt!!
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:09 pm
Suspended

greaatt!!
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Back to Australia for a night: AKL-MEL on QF Business Class

Qantas is really a premium airline. It might be losing money, it might be facing ruthless competition from low-cost carriers, but even among all the difficult times, Qantas has retained its aura of exclusivity, class and - in its premium cabin - luxury.

My long journey back home started with an Auckland - Melbourne flight in business class, which gave me the chance to savor what was going to come up the day after on my Trans-Pacific flight on Qantas First Class.

Since Qantas joined forces with Emirates, the company started offering complimentary limo service to its First Class customers to/from the airport. As I had an overnight connection in Melbourne, I got three free pick-ups with my itinerary: from Auckland to the airport; from Melbourne's airport to the Grand Hyatt; and to my hotel back to the airport again.

I booked my transfer online, making sure I left enough time to visit the lounge in both Auckland and Melbourne. I received no call or email confirmation, but sure enough my driver was in front of the Hilton at 4pm sharp.

Great limo ride

The driver was friendly and polite - certainly professional. Within 45 minutes we were dropped off at the airport, and I proceeded to the dedicated Qantas premium cabin check-in area. I was not expecting a separate area for Qantas premium passenger, but it was certainly welcome. Also, immigration is cleared right there inside this check-in lounge, which makes going through immigration a breeze. Well done QF!

After going through security I headed to the Qantas lounge. It was fairly crowded, but I was still able to snag a seat and get some (decent tasting) food and a beer. Overall, the lounge was good and the food selection not bad at all - definitely better than many Aadmirals Clubs I have been throughout the US and comparable to some BA Galleries I had visited before.

Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Flight QF8761, AKL-MEL

Aug 21st, 2013

6:50p – 8:50p, B737-800

Business Class, Seat 2A

Our flight was on time. I proceeded to the gate with the last wave of passengers, and proceeded through the priority line into the plane, a new B738 whose business class DID have TVs on the back of each seat! Score! Legroom was very good, TV screen big. A set of headphones was distributed as well – not bad for a short 3 hour flight!

After sitting down, the purser came by to greet me and to offer me a pre-departure drink. She cracked a couple of jokes and then moved on, which was great for me as I do not like empty chit-chatting, but she spent a lot of time with some older folks that porbably are regulars on that route. I think it’s verty important grooming your elite customers, and I give kudos to the flight attendant for that. As pre-departure drink, I just got some water.

Take off happened on time, and once airborne the other FA serving the cabin came by taking meal and pre-dinner drink orders. I asked for a Campari Soda, a favorite of mine. The FA apologized and said that no Campari was loaded on the flight, only to come back a couple of minutes after saying that they indeed had Campari on board and that she was not aware of it since she usually does not fly this route. Great service! The drink came with a bag of nuts.

The dinner menu read as follows:

MENU

FROM THE BAR

Roasted nuts

ENTREE

French Onion Soup with Gruyere Crumbs

MAIN COURSES

Salad of Roast Chicken, Mixed Grains and Slow Roasted Tomatoes with Red Wine Vinaigrette

Grilled Salmon Fillet with Fennel and Olive Caponata, Cauliflower Puree and Green Beans

Roasted Pork with Spiced Braised Red Cabbage, Crispy Potatoes and Sauteed Apples

Warm Bakery

Selection of Seasonal Cheese served with Accompaniments

Kapiti Ice Cream served with Almond Thins

Whittaker’s Chocolate

About 20 minutes afterwards, dinner service started.

French onion soup kicked the meal off. The soup was actually very tasty, not too salty, perfectly flavored. I liked how it was served from a thermos, meaning that it wasn’t heated on the plane but actually made on a real kitchen pre-departure.

As main, I opted for the salmon. This was well-cooked and tasty. Not Michelin-star worthy, but still good. The pictures I took are pretty dark, but I still hope they give you a good idea of the meal.

I had some good Australian white with the meal – I must say that Qantas’ wine selection never disappoints. The meal service proceeded smoothly and the time elapsed between different servings was just right.

Then, dessert came. I couldn’t decide between what ice cream and cheese, so the flight attendant gave me both options to try. There’s no need to say that – at that point – I was already full. Both offerings were satisfactory – especially the ice cream which tends to be of superior quality on Qantas!

To top off the meal, I had a cup of coffee.

Flight went on pretty smoothly – I watched “Epic”, which was entertaining enough – and around 9pm we landed in Melbourne. Although I was flying in business class I was not handed a priority line card, but fortunately enough the immigration line was quick (as well as custom’s). My bag didn’t take long to arrive, and once I cleared customs I found my limo driver waiting for me to take me to my hotel for the night – the Grand Hyatt Melbourne. The ride was smooth, the driver professional, and the overall experience with QF Business Class on this segment excellent.

On to the next chapter!
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Grand Hyatt Melbourne’s Ambassador Suite

So, after trying the Park Hyatt it was time to try the Grand Hyatt Hotel Melbourne. I wouldn’t have much time to spend here – after all I wanted to maximize my Qantas First Class longe experience the morning after, meaning I would have to wake up at 4am. But I figured that I would give this hotel a try.
My limo dropped me off in front of the hotel. A bell boy opened my door but didn’t even offered to help me with my luggage… I thought this was rather unusual for a five star hotel, but Ijust proceeded to the escalator by myself to reach the lobby; this was spacious, full of marble, luxurious. The check in agent was very cordial, proceeded to check me in, and informed me that I would be upgraded – for free! – to an Ambassador Suite. Yes, an Ambassador Suite at the 33rd floor. At first, I just smiled and said thank you – thinking he just made a mistake or that I heard incorrectly – I was tired after all.
Then I proceeded to the elevator… I check my room key… and it says room #33xx… What the… I press “33″ on the floor pad… I get to my floor… walk to my room number… and it was indeed the Ambassador Suite…!
Now, I don’t know what happened, but the nice front desk guy decided that I was posh enough to deserve an upgrade to a $1,300 per night room. Well you know what? Fine with me!
The apartment was huge! A living room, two bathrooms, a kitchenette… Modern furniture, nice sofa, nice dining table… Nice bedroom, immense bathroom, nice changing area… Wow, this room left me speechless – especially because the downtown view from up here was spectacular! I will let my pictures speak for me, though.

Comfortable couch

Executive desk

Another desk

Guest bathroom

Dining area

Kitchenette

Bedroom

What can I say? A short but memorable stay! The only negative aspects of the hotel where the indifference of the bell boy and the rather empty (dull) kitchenette in an otherwise-stunning suite.

P.S.

- I have uploaded a video tour on YouTube of the room.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Can't wait for the QF First post oneoworld82!
Old Nov 24, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by oneworld82
Flight QF8761, AKL-MEL

Aug 21st, 2013

6:50p – 8:50p, B737-800

Business Class, Seat 2A

Looks like you have had a nice flight on QF. Actually QF8761 is supposed to be the code-share on the EK A380. I have a flight booked as QF8761 AKL-MEL operated by EK A380 in Jan next year, with exactly the same timing as yours.
I fly QF Trans-Tasman quite a bit. The regular QF flights are operated by Jetconnect ZK-registered B738 with AVOD (in the armrests in business) but normal Boeing interiors. Looks like you have got a new VH-registered aircraft with the new Boeing interior with domestic QF crew. Guess perhaps EK for some reason was not flying their A380 MEL-AKL-MEL that day and QF subbed in for them. The normal QF TT flight numbers are in the 2 digit or 3 digit QF 1XX range.
The ice-cream is made by Kapiti ice-cream, a NZ premium brand. We get those on Jetstar business class AKL-SIN as well. Ex-NZ, the cheese uploaded by QF are made by Kapiti as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.