Wiki Posts
Search

Seattle to Tel Aviv on United BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Seattle to Tel Aviv on United BusinessFirst

Introduction
Life had been rough since about July. Work was eating me alive, and I knew that I needed to break free. I had pondered the Biltmore in Arizona, a few resorts in Southern California, and then I realized, "Why would I go somewhere other than Israel?" I couldn't come up with a convincing answer.

I also live in a place where Jews are a bit less common. I ended up having to work on Rosh Hashana. I was walking my dog one day last month, and a woman yelled, "You belong in a gas chamber." (She was clearly in the midst of psychosis, but it wasn't the kindest thing to say.)

Thanks to advice from Flyertalk, I learned that upgrades are very hard to score on Tel Aviv flights, so I sucked it up and bought a revenue business class ticket. The "Z" fare was only available on the return, so the ticket was not exactly a bargain. Suze Orman might have slapped me in the face, but the fare wasn't going to wreck me financially.

Sea-Tac
As always, I dawdled and managed to get on the road 20-30 minutes later than expected. Fortunately, there was no wait to park my car nor at the check-in counters. The AirServ representative grumbled, and he handed me a receipt for my bags.

Security was a bit of a mess since many passengers are now diverted to PreCheck. This seemed to involved track suit-clad 70-somethings who were busy taking off their shoes while a TSA representative barked at them not to do so.

I made my way to the Alaska Airlines Board Room, which is significantly nicer than the United Club. After an excess of caffeine, I made my way to the gate. It was clearly insufficient caffeine, since I walked right past the gate. Somehow I made my way on board in a blur.

Boarding Cards by Mats224, on Flickr

29 October 2013
UA 690
SEA-DEN
A320
Seat 1B

This flight was indeed a blur. Due to the jetstream, it was quick trip to Denver. Breakfast was the usual "Jeff McMuffin" or cereal, along with fresh fruit, cinnamon rolls and croissants.

Denver
I had only a brief layover, but I went upstairs to the United Club. The staff were abundantly cheerful, and I scored some more espresso for myself. The concourse and the club were largely empty, so I found that appealing.
Despite the size of the Denver airport, I had only minimal walking.

UA1643
DEN-EWR
757-200
Seat 1B

This flight featured BusinessFirst seats on a short domestic flight. I had the luxury of stretching out in a flat bad despite the quick flight.

The food was deplorable: a beef burrito or salad with grilled chicken. I had the latter, and it was a particular low point in United catering. The chicken salad has actually deteriorated over time. This was unquestionably hospital grade.

Speaking of hospitals, there was a medical emergency. This was a typical situation: a somewhat dehydrated 20-something guy without much sleep had a vasovagal reaction and passed out in the aisle.

The incident occurred next to me, so I jumped up and got the situation under control. As usual, the goal was to keep the onlookers at bay. I was attending to the fallen passenger but some woman came up from behind me and started grabbing this guy's arms, giving me directions, etc. I paid little attention to her, and a flight attendant moved her out of the way. "Dr. Mats has this under control," she said.

The crew responded as I did: under-react. That's what I'm educated to do, and they were quick to do the same.

After getting this guy some juice, I was able to get him propped up, and the crew had us sit in a jump seat. If you've ever done it, I don't recommend it. The jump seat is terrifying: you have hundreds of people staring right at you. I can't imagine doing that every day.

I eventually got the ill passenger back into his seat, and I joined him in economy class for the remainder of the flight. Given the length of my layover, I carried his heavy suitcase, and walked with him down to baggage claim, where his mother met us. It would have been overkill to have EMTs meet the flight, but I didn't want this guy to carry a heavy suitcase.

Oddly enough, there was a medical emergency on my last trip to Israel (in July). Am I magnet for these problems?

Newark
Safely back with his mother, I made my way upstairs to the PreCheck line, and still had time for a shower in the United Club. I was once again impressed by the bubbly shower concierge, who always seems so eager to serve passengers.

About an hour before departure, I made my way to C138. As usual, the security theater was painless. The staff are remarkably friendly, and it really only takes a moment. I don't think it serves any security purpose, but it's not much of a hassle.

The gate agents were equally warm, wishing everyone a pleasant trip.
Oddly enough, United does not have Hebrew-speaking ground staff. Announcements were strictly in English. The neighboring flight to São Paulo had bilingual announcements.

Entrance to C138 by Mats224, on Flickr

UA90
EWR-TLV
777-200
Seat 1B

I had a warm and gracious welcome by the crew serving my cabin as well as the ISM (purser.) One of the Hebrew speakers recognized me, and we exchanged a few jokes.

There was a brief delay involving United's ground dispatch computer system. The captain made a joke about how he hoped that United was not using the same IT contractor as the new federal healthcare insurance program.

The service was both relaxed and polished. Everything was calm, but still with silver carts, and carefully-presented food. Although the crew did not refer to passengers by name, they were attentive, and made frequent passes through the cabin.

Announcements were kept to a minimum, and we took the usual route over Newfoundland, France, Central Europe, and across the Mediterranean.
As the crew promised, dinner was served 20 minutes after takeoff.

W E L C O M E A B O A R D
We are pleased to offer menu choices that are carefully selected
for our premium customers. Our recipes are developed in
consultation with our Congress of Chefs throughout the world.
We use a variety of seasonal and locally sourced ingredients to
enhance your dining experience, and our wines are specially
chosen to complement your meal, so please enjoy
T O B E G I N
Chilled Appetizer
Jumbo shrimp with seafood cocktail sauce

Fresh Seasonal Greens
Tomatoes, Kalamata olives, bell pepper, baby mozzarella
and croutons with your choice of creamy garlic dressing
or balsamic vinaigrette

M A I N C O U R S E

Tenderloin of Beef
Asiago broth, brown butter gnocchi
and green asparagus

Spice-rubbed Breast of Chicken
Mustard barbecue sauce, steamed rice,
mixed vegetables and pickled cabbage

Fillet of Amazon Cod
Mixed vegetable ratatouille

Tri-color Ravioli
Cherry tomato sauce and herbed butternut squash
with Parmesan cheese

Executive Dining
If you prefer more time to work or relax, ask a flight attendant about our executive dining service. At your request, we will present your main meal followed by dessert based on your schedule.

Meals do not contain pork. But shrimp is okay? Hmmm.

T O F I N I S H
International Cheese Selection
Grapes and crackers with
Portal Late Bottled Vintage Porto 2008

Dessert
Ice cream with your choice of toppings

M I D – F L I G H T S N A C K
Fruit and light stacks are available at any time following the meal service.
Please help yourself or ask a flight attendant for today's selection

P R I O R T O A R R I V A L
An appetizer of smoked peppered salmon
and salmon-cream cheese roulade with your choice of:

Cheddar Cheese Omelette
Broccoli-potato gratin and asparagus

or

Cereal and Banana
Served with milk

Fresh fruit appetizer, yogurt, and breakfast breads

F E A T U R E D C H A M P A G N E A N D W I N E S

Our wines are chosen in consultation with Doug Frost, Master Sommelier and Master of Wine. Each year, we sample thousands of varieties to complement our global cuisine and satisfy the diverse tastes of our premium travelers. During this process, we seek out selections that are richly flavored to enhance your dining experience. Wines vary by flight, and we apologize if your preferred choice is not available.

Champagne
Pommery Brut Royal NV, Champagne
Pommery's style is rich and fairly fruity, with the biscuit-like, toasty note
note as strong as in some other Champagnes, but tangy in the finish.

White Wine
Henri Bourgeois, Sancerre Les Baronnes, Sauvignon Blanc, 2012, Loire Valley
Sauvignon Blanc is a brilliant foil for many foods. Bourgeouis is one of the
masters of French Sauvignon Blanc, which is more tangy than fruity.

or

La Chalblisienne La Sereine Chablis 2010, Burgundy
Chardonnay from Cahblis seems utterly unlike Chardonnay from anyplace else.
It's tart, even taut and demands food for its balance

Edna Valley Vineyard Paragon Chardonnay 2010, San Luís Obispo
The Paragon Vineyard lies completely exposed to the cool Pacific Ocean.
As a result, it has been producing exceptional Chardonnay for years.

or

Dry Creek Vineyard Fumé Blanc 2012, Sonoma
A stalwart among American Fumé Blanc makers, Dry Creek Vineyard
offers a less herbal and more refreshing, fruity style of Fumé Blanc.

Red Wine
Château Bonnet Réserve 2010, Bordeaux
Every reason has its secret treasures: most wine writers would agree
that Château Bonnet is one such: elegant, flavorful, delicious.

James Oatley TIC TOK 2010, Central Ranges
Once the brains behind Rousemount, Oatley now crafts Shiraz that is light, deft
and shows none of the ponderous character of most Aussie Shiraz
"Ponderous character?" Thank G-d they found some more superficial wines. I'm sick of those Shiraz's that overthink everything.

Arrival
As usual, I knew to RUN off the plane to immigration. The lines can be very long, and I took off upstairs, around the Rotunda to immigration. There was a wait at immigration due to a number of Italian passengers who had just arrived. They struggled with English, so the immigration staff had trouble talking with them.

I had made friends with a group of Americans on my flight from Newark, and they wanted to know about what to expect in terms of security. I told them that they only difficult experience would be passport control. "They're usually passive-aggressive [insert expletive.]" Their response was appropriate, "In what country are they NOT passive-aggressive [insert expletive?]" The answer, in my experiences, has been Australia and Switzerland. Sometimes they're nice in the US.

Anyway, the attractive 20-something woman in her little booth was crabby as ever. We were speaking in Hebrew, and she did not like the fact that I don't have "close" relatives in Israel anymore. I wanted do say, "look, ma'am, I'm sorry that my grandmother died and that my uncle moved to LA." [Expletive deleted]. She eventually grumbled, and I made my way out the door.

I hopped in a cab, and had an amazing driver. Despite rush-hour traffic, it was door-to-door in 45 minutes. I was amazed. I gave him a generous tip, which surprised him.

Mamilla Hotel, Jerusalem
I really wanted to return to the Arthur Hotel, where I had stayed in July. Sadly, it's a small hotel, and it was booked. I'd been curious about the Mamilla. It looked interesting, and it had favorable reviews. It was pricy (USD$420 per night), but not as expensive as the over-the-top King David or David Citadel. Although the Dan (the erstwhile Regency and Hyatt Regency) is in a distant location, I think it's a better choice in the luxury category.

This turned out to be a massive waste of money. The Mamilla is a strange and odd place. It's beautifully decorated, dark, and stylish.

The room, however, was awful. It was dark and complicated. There was a massive, cubicle shower in the center of the room. The bed was some sort of lumpy mess of two twins shoved together (perhaps so a religious couple could sleep in it.) And there was an overpowering noise from a minibar fan.

The WiFi was free but barely worked. One could occasionally get reception in the lobby, but it was mostly broken. I just used cellular connection from my iPad and iPhone.

The basement pool was clean, and I swam several times. But the elevator to get there was broken, so I had to sneak through hidden doors to use a service elevator.

Breakfast was in a pretty room with awful service. Trying to get a cup of coffee required determination. I tried English, Hebrew, and Arabic to no avail. (The word for coffee is almost the same in all three languages.) The food was unimpressive by Israeli standards (Israeli hotel breakfasts are usually insanely lavish.)

The saving grace was the rooftop lounge. I enjoyed the food and beer overlooking the city.

When I checked out, the woman at the desk was insistent that I write a TripAdvisor review with her name in it. She wasn't terribly helpful, so I felt no need to praise her on the internet. Since they were so insistent, I did write a review. And it wasn't complimentary.

Despite the positive reviews from other "TripAdvisors," I would never go back there.

Jerusalem
There is nothing like being in the City of Gold. I took my usual paths: prayed at the Kotel, went to Yad Vashem and Mt. Herzl, and other famous tourist sites that I'd seen many times before. It amazes me every time.

This trip also involved a meeting to discuss a potential job opportunity. I had a friendly—even funny—interview, but it was quite clear that this would be a bad idea from a professional standpoint. My own specialty is unusual (adolescent medicine), and this barely exists in the US, and it doesn't exist at all in Israel.

Sheraton Tel Aviv and Towers
There's no easy way to get to the beach hotels from Jerusalem. So I took the train to the Jerusalem train station, then a bus to Arlozorov Station in Tel Aviv. I've found that this is easier than a "Sherut" (shared taxi.) It costs about NIS40-50, which is hilariously inexpensive.

The Sheraton was as perfect as ever. It's cheaper than the Mamilla, even for a club room with a beachfront view.

I was greeted with tremendous warmth. My room came equipped with a "welcome back" greeting from the manager, some fruit, and a bottle of wine.
The service was—as always—attentive without being intrusive. My room was kept in immaculate condition. Even if dragged sand in from the beach, it was miraculously cleaned up in my absence.

As usual, the breakfast was absurdly generous. And there was never a problem getting coffee (self serve or table service).

The club lounge was a ghost town. In the past, that lounge had been populated by Americans (airline crews, government employees working at the Embassy nearby, etc.) This time around, the lounge was either empty, or there would be a handful of Russian tourists. I don't know if Americans have taken their business elsewhere, or if it was a function of the time of year.

View from my balcony by Mats224, on Flickr

View of the pool and north toward the Marina by Mats224, on Flickr

Connected to...
Someone at Sheraton decided that employee name tags should all say the person's name with the words "connected to..." These invariably had moronic "connections," like "Marc: Connected to the Beach." Well duh, we're right on the beach. I couldn't see how this would drum up conversation or make me feel more welcome.

In my puerile imagination, I had several thought of what some of the name tags could say:

Connected to: your mom
Connected to: paranoid schizophrenia
Connected to: my [expletive deleted] ex, who got everything in the settlement
Connected to: drug-resistant gonorrrhea
Connected to: stealing your stuff while you're not in your room

Tel Aviv
My favorite city. I went back to my favorite synagogue, where I was greeted with open arms. I've been going there for years—every time I'm in Israel. I especially enjoy the walk home afterwards: through Yarkon Park and the Marina.

I enjoyed favorite pastimes, by which I mean sitting on the beach, going to the pool, and going back to the beach. Perhaps I was feeling antisocial, but I really didn't talk to anyone. I usually meet others on the beach or at cafés, but I just kept to myself.

Enjoying the sunshine by Mats224, on Flickr

At night, I walked down the "Tayelet" and then took a left to head toward Rotshchild Street. It was alive, even late at night, and I think the Habima looks beautiful at night (others disagree.)

I also met up with a certain love interest there. It remains evident that this will never work; there is a 7,000 mile distance between us. And immigration doesn't look like a reasonable option for either of us. We are able to connect personally and professionally in a deeply meaningful way. Nothing—you know—"happened" between us. There's no doubt that we'd be a couple if we lived in the same country. It's bittersweet.

Ben Gurion Airport
I like the morning flight back to America (available on Air Canada, El Al, or United. Everyone else has the midnight departures, or very early morning flights to Europe.) There was only a little traffic on Dizengoff Street, but the highway was largely empty.

I did not get stopped at the checkpoint entering the airport vicinity nor entering the airport.

There was a brief wait for a security interview. Once again, a gorgeous and charming one approached me, and we spoke in a mix of Hebrew and English. She asked me—I think—three questions. "You don't need to take your bag to the x-ray," she said. "See you soon."

Despite a 50-minute delay, there just didn't seem to be a problem. Everyone at check-in was calm, and the OAS ground handling agent was smiling and efficient.

There was no line at all at security, and breezed through—shoes on, coat on. Smiles all around.

There was again a wait a passport control, but the agent said nothing, and I was on my way.

I picked up a few items at the Duty Free (I know, I'm a sucker), and paused in the over-crowded Dan Lounge. The staff there were nicer than in the past, but it's not a great lounge. Better drink selection than a United Club, but that's about all it has to offer.

Ben Gurion is such a nice airport that one barely needs a lounge. There is nothing to "escape from:" it's a spacious, comfortable, quiet terminal.

Not terribly thrilled to be flying back so soon at Ben Gurion C concourse by Mats224, on Flickr

6 November 2013
UA85
TLV-EWR
777-200
Seat 8K

Boarding was slightly more orderly than in the past. The ground handling agent took a glance at my carry-on, but he decided to forego the security questions given to other passengers. It must be my innocent appearance.

Once on board, I was greeted with warmth and attention by the ISM. For the first time in years, I was greeted by name, as was each person in BusinessFirst.

8K is arguably the nicest seat in business class. Although it's missing a window, it's a bulkhead without a lavatory immediately in front of it. There is only light from the galley during meal times. And—above all—it makes for easy boarding and exit because it's right by the second door.

Meal service was again very quick after departure. The service was polished and attentive by a kind, soft-spoken flight attendant. She had been flying a lot to Tel Aviv, so she was quick to anticipate everyone's needs. She was sincere and attentive throughout the flight.
T O B E G I N

Chilled Appetizer
Marinated prawns with seafood cocktail sauce

Fresh Seasonal Greens
Tomato, cucumber and olives
with your choice of creamy horseradish dressing
or cilantro-lime vinaigrette

M A I N C O U R S E

Tenderloin of Beef
Truffle sauce, mashed potatoes, snow peas and roasted pumpkin

Saffron-braised Breast of Chicken
Almond-cherry sauce, rice with lentils and carrots

Sea Bass with Pickled Lemons and Spinach
Vegetable sauces, herbed couscous with chickpeas
and braised fennel

Mushroom-filled Tortellini
Chive and lemon cream sauce with sautéed mushrooms
with Parmesan Cheese

M I D – F L I G H T S N A C K

Assorted Sandwiches
Beef salami
Cheese

Apple Lattice Tart

Fruit and light snacks are available at any time following the meal service.
Please help yourself or ask a flight attendant for today's selection.

P R I O R T O A R R I V A L

An appetizer of smoked salmon, labneh cheese
and garnishes with your choice of

Parmesan Cheese Omelette
Rosemary potatoes, bell pepper and scallion
or

Cereal and Banana
Served with milk
Fresh fruit appetizer, yogurt, and breakfast breads

F E A T U R E D C H A M P A G N E S A N D W I N E S

Champagne
Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Réserve NV, Champagne
A favorite among many sommeliers; Feuillatte's Brut Réserve has lots of fresh fruit notes along with the tart and mineral character typical of the region.

or

Pannier AOP Brut Tradition NV, Champagne
A medium-bodied style of Champagne, Pannier has citrus, vanilla and green apple notes as well as biscuit aromas that are almost like fresh brioche.

Do I really want wine that tastes like a brioche?

White Wine

Burgáns Albariño 2011, Rías Baixas, Spain
The Albariño grape leads the way for Spanish white wine and its fruity nose
and dry flavors make it an ideal match with a variety of foods.

Wente Vineyards Morning Fog Chardonnay 2011, Livermore Valley
Cold, coastal vineyards can fill with fog, and in this Chardonnay,
those cooling temperatures slow the ripening and create greater complexity.

Red Wine
La Garde du Pape, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, 2010, Rhône Valley
Once among France's greatest values, Châteauneuf-du-Pape is no more costly,
but it has increased in quality and nobility as well

or

Château Martinot 2010, Bordeaux
Bordeaux saw two great vintages in a row (2009 and 2010), and we are delighted to have found great examples of those vintages.

Geyser Peak Cabernet Sauvignon 2009, Alexander Valley
The lush Cabernets of the Alexander Valley can be softer and more giving than those form other regions, but are also no less delicious.
The food on this flight was as good as always. I had the chicken (I always seem to have the chicken.) But the highlight was the breakfast. It comes with unsweetened yogurt, muesli, and wheat bread with jam. I wish United offered that meal on every breakfast flight worldwide.

Although espresso was not on the menu, the machines are still operational, and the crew were happy to oblige to requests for it. Since I don't like United espresso, and I especially hate Kova "coffee," I had brought some "Starbucks Via." The flight attendant said, "here, let me fix that up for you." She turned it into a latte. Nice work!

Newark
We landed about 50 minutes late into Newark, but this was partially a blessing, because it meant arriving at C123 instead of the "B" terminal.

There was no wait to use Global Entry, but I once again had to clean off the fingerprint reader to make it operational.

Bags took about 25 minutes; not fun, but not unusual for Newark.

Although I had an email showing that United had already re-accommodated for the next morning, I knew that I had enough time to make it through PreCheck and keep my original flight.

As with previous experiences, there is an unmanned TDC desk at security, so the document check takes forever. And—of course—there were people in front of me who caused PreCheck chaos: an elderly woman with a massive water bottle, a man who insisted on removing most of his suit and his shoes, etc. They have some kinks to iron out.

I had a suspicion that "hoisin beef" or "penne pasta" would be in my future, and I didn't want either. So I stopped at Balduccci's for a sandwich, making it to C70 just in the nick of time.

UA541
EWR-SEA
A320
Seat 1B

Although the crew seemed grumpy at first, they were actually very kind. It was a Seattle-based crew, and we're lucky to have such a great group of flight attendants out here. (I hope they don't close the base!)

I was, again, referred to by name. I ate dinner, had a sundae (why pass that up?), and fell asleep for the rest of the flight.

Sea-Tac
Bags took close to 30 minutes once again. I know this is the norm, and I try to prepare myself (I had my iPad and a TV show ready.) But it is so frustrating. The distance from the plane to baggage claim is negligible. But United's ground crews must just seem surprised that a plane has arrived. I don't know if they're short-staffed, incompetent, lazy, or all of the above.

I was in my car about 50 minutes after touchdown. It's really not so bad, but it seems like an eternity after 17 hours of flying.

Conclusions

United

Domestic first is not good. But we all know that. As the adage goes, "it's better than economy." Fortunately, I had no operational problems such as cancellations or serious delays, the crew at every flight was friendly and welcoming.

They also handled the small medical emergency better than some emergency department personnel. These were confident, experienced professionals.

I think that BusinessFirst is still a good product. Of the nonstop services from America to Israel, I think it's the best choice. The food is good, the crews are excellent, and it's hard to complain.

No, it's not a Singapore Girl giving me boxes of chocolate, but that's also not what I expect. And although the fare was expensive, it wasn't five digits (or anywhere near that.)

It would be great to have spruced-up United Clubs and nicer domestic first class. But I doubt that we'll see either of those in our future. I just don't think it's any better or worse than the other US major carriers (and it's definitely better than US Airways based on recent experience.)

The Mamilla Hotel
Don't waste your money!

Sheraton Tel Aviv and Towers
I'll be back as soon as I'm able to do so. People have their gripes about that property: it's not flashy, shiny, or stylish. But I really like that place.

Tel Aviv
In a way, I'm not a "Tel Avivi:" I'm not one to go out clubbing, I don't have long hair or a tattoo, but I'm very much at home there. Although I wasn't terribly social on this trip, I had a great time. The sun felt wonderful, and I can close my eyes and think of the park, the beach, or the Tayelet any time.

Getting Away
Airline magazines and business magazines forever talk about "unplugging," and getting away from work. Hahahaha. I wasn't so fortunate. It seemed like crisis after crisis kept emerging. I still got some rest on this trip, but it was a grim reminder that I need to get out more often, and that my staff sometimes need to be able to function without their boss. It's job security, but not in a good way. In order to compensate for my time away, I worked the two weekends prior to the trip and the weekend after. (This is not compensated time.) Food for thought, I guess. I like what I do, but it's consuming me.

And I can't really get away—I even had a patient to see on the Denver-Newark flight ☺

Okay… off to work (even though it's Sunday.)

Last edited by Mats; Nov 17, 2013 at 8:35 pm
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:14 pm

Great report! Thanks for the laugh - the "but shrimp is okay" bit was brilliant.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:00 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, CX Silver, Global Entry
Nice report. It was even funnier hearing your condensed version in person
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:33 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Thanks for taking the time to do the Trip Report. I got a friend of mine who is currently visiting Israel. He flew WN OAK-LAX then El Al LAX-TLV and the El Al ticket cost him about 6,000$ for roundtrip business class.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:17 am

Have you been to Eilat?

Isn't EL AL C better than UA?

I prefer EL AL Y a zillion times more than UA. To me they are the worst.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Bretlee,
I actually think that United BusinessFirst is better than El Al Platinum Class. El Al's seats are 2-3-2 rather than 2-2-2 on the 777. The food is substantially better on United. I do think, however, that El Al's cabin crew are friendlier, and the EL Al King David lounges are much nicer.

I have been to Eilat, but I find it kind of boring. It's pleasant, but it's more of a place for families and little kids. The drive to Eilat is especially beautiful, and I'm sure I'll head back there one day.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Mats
Bretlee,
I actually think that United BusinessFirst is better than El Al Platinum Class. El Al's seats are 2-3-2 rather than 2-2-2 on the 777. The food is substantially better on United. I do think, however, that El Al's cabin crew are friendlier, and the EL Al King David lounges are much nicer.
Why, you get shrimp in both directions on UA! This probably does not occur on LY
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:35 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
It's funny, but I think that every flight I've made into/out of TLV (with the exception of LY flights, which I avoid) has had treyf on the menu - usually shellfish of some kind, but also puerco on the couple of Iberia flights I've taken.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Very nice report. Subtle humor and a fun read.

Thanks for the post.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:37 pm
Suspended

I thought jews r not suppose to eat prawns? Why do they have this on the menu both ways?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Continental (and now United) have very frequently had shellfish on flights to and from Tel Aviv. It's a bit of a mystery to me since they don't serve pork. But many Israelis do not follow kashrut (kosher) dietary laws, and many American Jews don't follow such laws either. It seemed like the prawn appetizers were actually fairly popular.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! It was great to meet you.

Originally Posted by mpc7488
Nice report. It was even funnier hearing your condensed version in person
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:29 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Nice report.. I've given aid on a flight once before... patient who had chest pain who had taken too much nitro..... always fun...

Ever crack open the medical kit? fun stuff in there, including stuff to deliver a baby...

FDW
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Yeah, I've used the medical kit before. One of the snippy bystanders was mad that I didn't request it. I saw no point in checking this guy's blood pressure or blood glucose. He was already doing better, and he just needed a juice and reassurance. I don't think that provided the drama that this woman had wanted, but it was certainly appropriate from a medical standpoint.

Next time, I'm bringing a suture tray, nitrous oxide, and some other fun supplies. Too bad I don't have any connection to ophthalmology or optometry; onboard LASIK could be a moneymaker for me and for United!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Thanks for the report! I remember the Sheraton TLV... great views of the Mediterranean Sea indeed!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.