Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

An Early Birthday Present from Momma (AA 762 J/SQ 380 Suites)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An Early Birthday Present from Momma (AA 762 J/SQ 380 Suites)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Having never taken SQ F before, the catering does look pretty bad when compared to CX F with their salmon and caviar, and dessert offering (even Y gets ice cream for the late night departure out of HKG).

While SQ suites does look good, I still wonder if it is worth it when comparing to some of the better food and amenities in CX/LH/NH F...
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jfkeze
Courtesy call from Prilosec for Mr. SHF!

Two appetizers and two mains! Always making sure you try and photograph every meal option so other FTs have an idea of the menu hehe
Hey hey, I don't need Prilosec to help me process all that food ^
I really wasn't joking when I said I had a light dinner at the SFO Hyatt.
2 Appetizers and 2 Main but you have to minus the non-existant Salad and Dessert.

Still not that impressive

Can I acquire the new title "Food Tester of Flyertalk"
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
Excellent pics of the Suites cabin, especially considering those darn partitions get in the way. Funny about the meal, but I guess SQ figures because it's after midnight and supper, not dinner, so most pax don't want the full monte. Does CX have the full regular dinner on the midnight departure?

Originally Posted by jfkeze
Two appetizers and two mains!
LOL. You expected anything less? But my favorite was the Krispy Kreme donut for dessert. They could have at least had a light "regular" dessert option.
Very hard to take photos, you might have to step on multiple seats to get the optimal ones.
SQ Supper, as I said, weak showing and reflects badly on the product.
You would think they wouldn't cheapen out the Suites product but they do.
I agree, don't doubt my eating abilities on a good/bad day, depends on your side of the coin.
No dessert is disgraceful to any meal service other than breakfast
Yes SFO777, CX runs a full slate on its midnight departure, here is a sample menu from December 2011, 881 is a 12:05am departure winter time

CX 881
Los Angeles to Hong Kong
First Class
Dec 2012

Supper

Caviar and Fine Smoked Salmon
Caviar and Fine Smoked Salmon

International Favorites
Corn Chowder with poblano pepper and bacon
Romaine Hearts with grilled jumbo prawns, toasted pine nuts and Caesar dressing
Seared USDA prime beef fillet, oven roasted mushrooms, asparagus and tomato, fondant potato, port wine sauce or béarnaise sauce
Or Sweet pea and ricotta ravioli with carrot coulis, green peas and beans

Chinese Favorites
Double boiled pork with sea coconut soup
Cold Plate – Marinated bean curd stick with fungus
Braised Chicken with abalone, steamed jasmine rice, stir fried pak choy and carrots

Cheese and Dessert
Cheddar, Camembert, Blue Cheese, Goat Cheese
Seasonal fresh berries with vanilla cream
Apple hazelnut bread pudding with vanilla ice cream and raspberry coulis
Red Bean soup with lotus seeds

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

Snacks
Dungeness crab cake with tartar sauce
Prosciutto and Brie in Kornspitz roll
Braised five spice beef brisket in noodle soup
Hot Pot Rice with Chinese Pork and liver sausage with cured meat, served with daily soup
Haagan Dazs Ice Cream

Breakfast
Starter
Orange or Apple Juice
Strawberry & Banana Smoothie
Fresh Seasonal Fruit
Natural or Fruit Yoghurt
Assorted Cereals

Main Course
Free Range Eggs – Freshly Scramble, Fried or Boiled
Served with Chicken Chipolata Sausage, Smoked Pork Loin, hash brown potato, grilled tomato or sautéed whole mushroom

Dim Sum with Chilli Sauce
Shrimp siu mai, mini glutinous rice wrapped in lotus leaf, shrimp dumpling

Seafood Congee, served with steamed beef rice roll with imperial soy sauce

Bread Basket
Assorted Breakfast bread and fresh toast
Served with Mrs. Bridges Scottish preserves, Tasmanian meadow honey and butter

Tea and Coffee
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LH4116
Nice report as always SHF. Never seen anyone eat as much food as you do, and it always amazes me how you are able to ask for seconds whereas most people struggle to get through the whole. I suppose that may have been the reason to why SQ decided to cut desserts? Though it seems that SQ have never been much of a dessert airline since they only seem to serve ice cream as dessert in the C and Y cabins. Too bad they cut it from R…

This brought me a big LOL. Never seen anyone wear their A3 tags on their carry on.
I suppose it's either due to the fact that there are too few of them, or that people are simply too shy. Given all your C&F flying, have you ever had the chance to use it while flying Y?
Bahaha, thank you, glad to tried the fine dining of SQ, if only their choices were more numerous, I could've tried more
They didn't just cut dessert, also pralines and salad.
Think you don't cut on a 15 Hour flight period, other pax probably paid a good chunk of dough to fly that thing.
I will say, the dessert i've had with them based on SQ 15 SFO-ICN-SIN, SQ 2 SIN-HKG-SFO, it was fantastic, but again, no matter how good and tasty the food, its no more important if the bean counters decided to get rid of it all together.

The A3 tag, its a funny one, I have a blue "I'd rather by flying" keychain, a AA EXP 1mm tag and that one, someone the A3 Gold tag was the only one visible.
I wouldn't necessarily put the A3 Tag on its own because it has your ff# on it, but in conjunction with my other tags, sure
Don't doubt me, I love to travel J&F, who doesn't but I still have to fly Y from time to time.
In my next TR which is currently in the planning stage, I have on at least 1 occasion of 19+ hours of non-stop flying Royal Jordanian Economy
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
Another very cool TR. Man, you sure know how to fly, don't you. Mom has made a nice birthday present to you. Pictures are really good and I love your anecdote telling, especially regarding the Hyatt experience.
Thank you, glad you liked it.
Hey Hey, don't compare me to the TR Expert SFO777, I love to fly but as they say, there will always be someone doing better than you.

It was a fantastic present from my momma, love her b-day surprises <3
I try my best with the anecdote and yes, they are real-life experiences
Glad you enjoyed them, the LAX Hyatt Place, geez what else can go wrong in 3 hours
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quirrow
Having never taken SQ F before, the catering does look pretty bad when compared to CX F with their salmon and caviar, and dessert offering (even Y gets ice cream for the late night departure out of HKG).

While SQ suites does look good, I still wonder if it is worth it when comparing to some of the better food and amenities in CX/LH/NH F...
CX vs. SQ F, its a hard competition, SQ > CX over taste, CX food is very mediocre and sometime meh in J even.
But again, SQ actually needs to offer choices firsthand.
And you also run into the this is getting old CX "Balik Salmon & Caviar" appetizer combo if you keep flying them since that is their appetizer on every long-haul.
Hey they are the most convinent ex-HKG

If you ask me, comparing the East Asian (CX/NH/OZ/SQ/TG) products
I've not done CA/JL/KE/MH, I should try to fly more than

F&b Wise, my scale would be
NH ex-NRT with the Kaiseki meal, you can't get better raw dish then them in the air, mouth watering good @:-)
SQ when they run their full slate
NH otherwise
OZ
CX
SQ when they go el-cheapo
TG, you go for the massages and golf cart ride, you don't stay for the food

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Sep 16, 2013 at 1:15 pm Reason: I've left OZ out by mistake :D
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:53 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Thanks for sharing your trip with us Short hair Francis. I enjoy reading about your travel tales & commentary.

Glad to hear that Hyatt took care of you. Hyatt really knows how to take care of its top tier customers (unlike the other "H" brand).
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Good TR SHF, shocking to hear about such a mediocre F&B offering on a flagship route. How does one tell whether he's in for the full monty or just a cut-back meal service?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warreng24
Thanks for sharing your trip with us Short hair Francis. I enjoy reading about your travel tales & commentary.

Glad to hear that Hyatt took care of you. Hyatt really knows how to take care of its top tier customers (unlike the other "H" brand).
Glad you enjoyed and I'm putting together a good one atm, just taking its time is all.
I guess it's Private Line Agent like Ms. N who makes us feel special and takes care of their top tier customers.

The Other "H" brand, i don't have much experience but they took care of Ryan Bingham at least
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
Good TR SHF, shocking to hear about such a mediocre F&B offering on a flagship route. How does one tell whether he's in for the full monty or just a cut-back meal service?
Thanks for Reading, TrayflowInUK
I don't have many experiences with SQ.
What I would really said is really avoid their supper-overnight flights, they really cut down on their main meals.
Snacks wise, they aren't great, CX, NH, OZ are better, as they all serve their various Asian Foods, Hot Pot Rice, Spicy Ramen, Udon.
SQ, yes they have their noodles too but they don't stand-out vs. the competition.

If you really want a good comparison, I would suggest giving my January 2013 TR a read, as that has the SQ 15 (SFO-ICN-SIN) catering in it.
That flight they run the full slate and looked much better despite the disastrous FAs that I had
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post21350346

As well, I am also working on a new TR, that does feature another SQ F, on SQ 2, and they also run the supper service on HKG-SFO, but it was nowhere near as par down as this Suites offering.
Things like the Salad, Dessert, and Praline are all present on that flight, only thing missing was Caviar.

It is a confusing matter
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Great report, ShF. I have to admit, my heart sank a bit when I saw you were flying SFO-HKG because that route is infamously bad on the F catering when compared to the CX flight around the same time. I will be doing LAX-NRT-SIN in a few months, hopefully an afternoon west coast USA departure goes much better on the R catering.

Originally Posted by LH4116
This brought me a big LOL. Never seen anyone wear their A3 tags on their carry on.
I suppose it's either due to the fact that there are too few of them, or that people are simply too shy. Given all your C&F flying, have you ever had the chance to use it while flying Y?
I have it. Wear it proud . Alongside DL Platinum and soon UA Platinum + AA EXP tags.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, CX, SQ, BA
excellent report! Was the first class fully occupied? They usually let you sleep in the middle, where you can get a double bed.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K
Great trip report, thank you for sharing this!

Originally Posted by SFO777
Does CX have the full regular dinner on the midnight departure?
Yeah, I was on CX873 in May (SFO-HKG, 0100H departure, and first time flying CX F!) and they have the full regular dinner, caviar and salmon appetizer included, as your first meal/dinner option.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amolkold
Great report, ShF. I have to admit, my heart sank a bit when I saw you were flying SFO-HKG because that route is infamously bad on the F catering when compared to the CX flight around the same time. I will be doing LAX-NRT-SIN in a few months, hopefully an afternoon west coast USA departure goes much better on the R catering.

I have it. Wear it proud . Alongside DL Platinum and soon UA Platinum + AA EXP tags.

The catering was weak, and by far, not the right route to display their A game.
CX catering I personally find is average, but if you match 2 menus together, it is no match, CX>SQ on the overnights

If LAX-NRT-SIN is anything similar to SFO-ICN-SIN, I don't think your R catering will have any issues.

Hard to wear it proud, due its lofty qualifications
UA Platinum, Smi/J hasn't scared you away with that catering
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Love_to_Travels
excellent report! Was the first class fully occupied? They usually let you sleep in the middle, where you can get a double bed.
Thanks, Love_to_Travels, glad you like it
Suites that night was 6/12, both double suites were occupied, 2C/2D, with 2F was a group of 3 from Singapore, and a Caucasian Couple in 3C/3D.

So that night, no, i didn't get the double suite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.