Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

My first time flying ever and how I almost got banned from entering a country.YYZ-CPT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My first time flying ever and how I almost got banned from entering a country.YYZ-CPT

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A, PD

Cape Town Panorama by smarties22ca, on Flickr

IMG_5626 by smarties22ca, on Flickr

This is a trip from 2 years ago; I wasn’t planning on turning it into a trip report so there is not that many transit photos that everyone seems to love. This is also my first time flying, so no status or knowledge or anything like that.

Background:

Around August of 2011, a friend of mine invited me to stay with him on his yearly trip to Cape Town, South Africa. How could I say no to that? I figured since it would be my first time flying, I might as well pick somewhere almost half way around the world to start. Since I am a poor university student, my goal was to find the cheapest flight possible. I looked at many routings, going through LHR, AMS, FRA, and other European hubs but then I found that Etihad (EY) was flying there. Looking around for various dates, I found the cheapest I thought I could get without waiting for too long. I found these flights:

Outbound:

YYZ (Toronto Pearson International Airport) – AUH (Abu Dhabi International Airport)

EY140
Departing: Nov 22, 21:45
Arriving: Nov 23, 19:40
Duration: 12hr 55min
Aircraft: Boeing 777-300ER
Seat: 36G

AUH – CPT (Cape Town International Airport) with a refuelling stop in JNB (O. R. Tambo International Airport)

EY602
Departing: Nov 23, 22:10
Arriving: Nov 24, 8:10
Duration: 12hrs
Aircraft: Airbus A330-200

Return:

CPT- AUH another refuelling stop in JNB

EY601
Departing: Jan 23, 10:30
Arriving: Jan 24, 00:05
Duration: 11hr 35min
Aircraft: Airbus A330-200

AUH-YYZ

EY5216
Departing: Jan 26, 10:20
Arriving: Jan 26, 15:50
Duration: 14hr 30min
Aircraft: Boeing 777-300ER
Seat: 36G (I guess I like this seat number)

Map of my route.

Thanks to GC Mapper.

I got this these tickets for $1341.76 CAD. A very good deal if you ask me. You might notice that on the return, that there is 2 days between my flights, I decided to experience the U.A.E. for two days. The main question though was, would I be staying in Abu Dhabi or Dubai since Etihad had a shuttle bus to Dubai for free. After some back and forth thinking plus some research, I picked Dubai. I then had to find a cheap-ish hotel in a good location next.
My main source of finding a hotel was through Expedia and I eventually settled on the London Crown Hotel (Al Hamriya Street) since it was right on the metro and central to most attractions, I got a Superior room with a King bed for just shy of $100 CAD/night.

This pretty much ended the planning portion for the trip since I would be staying with my friend and he would be getting the rental car and all that jazz. All I had to do was convert money from CAD to ZAR. I only had $1600 spending money for Cape Town and $300 for Dubai. I found a good conversion rate for the ZAR at 7.875/CAD, giving me 12 600 ZAR for the 8 or so weeks I will be there (1575/week or 225/day). I had to deposit the Rand into my friends South African bank account so he could get the better exchange rate (market rate was around 8 that day), so he would be giving me my money after I arrived.

Departure:

Leading up to this trip, like most males, I put off packing until the last few days and did a good chunk of it on the last day. I also would be getting a ride from my other friend to the airport since the one I was staying with left a few days before I would be. So on the day of departure, let me tell you, I am an idiot, straight up, I failed to convert 24hr time to 12hr time. Since I booked the tickets, I thought I would be leaving Toronto at 11:45PM for some dumb reason and planned my last day in Toronto accordingly. I planned to have dinner with my friend on the way to the airport and arrive early to have a no rush departure. At around 7PM, my friend phoned me and the conversation went something like this:

Me: Hello
Friend: Hey, when is your flight leaving?
Me: Umm, 11:45PM
Friend: You sure it’s not leaving at 9:45?
Me: Yeah
Friend: Is your flight EY601?
Me: Yeah, it’s leaving at 11:45PM.
Friend: Umm, looking at the Pearson website, your flight is leaving at 9:45.
Me: No, it’s leaving at 21:45, which is 11:45PM.
Friend: You are an idiot, 21:45 is not 11:45PM, it is 9:45PM.
Me: OH CRAP!!! GET OVER HERE NOW TO PICK ME UP.

And so began my trip to Cape Town.

My friend arrived at around 7:30 to 8 and it is a 35-50min drive to the airport from where I live. Dinner was cancelled that night for obvious reasons. We got to the airport with just over an hour to my fight departs. Luckily that night, Pearson was almost deserted, so I said my goodbyes and went through security with 2 people in front of me in line.

Here are the menus for the flights.

Flight 1, YYZ-AUH:

This is my first time being on a plane, and I will be flying for almost 13hrs bypassing most of Europe in the process. This flight would be the worst possible time to find out I’m irrationally afraid of flying. I get to my aisle seat (hurrah for being a tall person and needing the extra leg room) and put my carryon above me and my backpack behind my legs and sit down. I am somewhat nervous at this point for a few reasons,

a) It’s my first time flying.
b) I have a 13hr flight in economy coming up.
c) It’s a night flight.
d) It’s windy outside with snow on the ground.
e) It’s freezing rain outside.

Everything that makes a flight difficult happened on my first one. This flight is packed, pretty sure it was close to 100% or even full, it looked like it was mainly families flying to India or a similar area. After the doors were closed and we push off, we have to get de-iced which makes us at least 1/2hr late for takeoff. I had grandparents sitting beside me with a small child on the end of the row and thought this could be a flight from hell. I say that the 3-4-3 configuration on this aircraft makes you feel like sardines in a tin can, everything was cramped and there was no space to do anything.
We get to the runway (no idea what one, first time flyer and all :P) and the pilots throw the engines to full power and we go rolling down the sleet into the freezing rain. We take off without much effort and are off into the night for a long flight ahead. Survived takeoff, CHECK. Surviving the next 13 hrs, we shall see. Service I believe started soon after the seat belt sign was off. I don’t remember what I picked but I do have the menu’s they gave at home (at work right now typing this), so will update in due time. I remember it tasting pretty good (though not having flown before, nothing to compare it to with other airlines). They served an open bar which is somewhat odd considering they country is semi-dry as I would find out later. Let’s just say, some wine and other drinks were consumed on the flight.
After dinner, I tried to sleep for a bit, did not work one bit due to the cramped seating layout and the fact that I made another travelling mistake, don’t put your backpack behind your legs on a 13 hr flight or they will start hurting after 2. So fixing that problem by putting my backpack in the overhead solved my comfort problems a bit but sleeping was still hard to do. We were served a small meal before landing in Abu Dhabi.

Surviving 13 hr flight, CHECK.

From my recollection, we arrived in Abu Dhabi, one hour early and security was a breeze to get through.

Overall, the flight was stressful since it was a full crowded cabin. Luckily, my seat mates were quiet and caused no problems, they even left through the other isle to not bother me, and I was impressed. The food was decent and the open bar was nice. The mood lighting in this plane was nice and it looked like it was a new plane, very impressed with the hard side of the operation. Another downside was the 4 or 5 babies that were seated near me that cried throughout the whole flight.
Here are some pictures from the airport.

IMG_4892 by smarties22ca, on Flickr

IMG_4896 by smarties22ca, on Flickr

After walking around for a bit (AUH is a really big airport), and going from Terminal 3, where my flight landed to Terminal 1 where my next flight is, I went through security again, moderately long line since the next gate had a flight leaving at the same time as mine, so two flights through one security check point.

Flight 2, AUH –CPT, 1-2hr stopover in JNB:

Upon boarding this flight, I immediately notice how different it is from the last one, it’s fairly empty, I think about 50% load. The aircraft is configured in a 2-4-2 configuration which is better than the 3-4-3 from my last flight. I get to my seat and notice that the 3 seats in the middle beside me are empty. As more and more people load, I keep hoping that they will be empty (when I looked at the seat maps, it said 2 of the 4 were taken). Then I heard the magic announcement of boarding has commenced and doors are closed. WAHOO, empty middle row. We took off in way favourable conditions to Toronto, clear, no wind and not freezing rain, heading south over Saudi Arabia and the east coast of Africa.

The meal on this flight was better than the first one. I even got business class wine when I asked for it. There was no crying kids or much noise, so it was a way more peaceful flight. After dinner, I slept on the empty seat beside me and strapped myself in above the blanket. Four seats wide are long enough to not be bumped at either end when people walk by. This sleep was glorious for economy. I don’t need business lie flat seating; I just need 4 empty seats in economy. :P I believe I slept for 5 hrs on the way to Johannesburg. Landing was performed and we taxied to an apron spot and sat there for 1-2 hrs. That was really, really boring.
After refueling and cleaning, we then took off to Cape Town for a 2 hr flight time. A snack was served in the middle of the flight and the bar was still open. Sometime during the middle of the flight, a thought occurred to me, “I’m drinking wine at 4AM local time. I see the sun rising off to the side through the window and I’m in Africa. First time flying somewhere and it’s not Europe or Mexico but Africa. This is going to be wonderful.” I might have had a few drinks by that point, but I was still well. We landed in Cape Town around 15 minutes early.

Surviving 2 12-13 hr flights, CHECK.

Overall, this flight was way better than the first one in every regard.

Cape Town:

I somehow was one of the first few off the plane and was about 4th or 5th in line for immigration. I cleared it in minutes and quickly got my bags. I was landside by the time my flight was originally supposed to arrive at and was looking for my friend.
He wasn’t there.
Ok, I think, he is somewhere else or running late, so I walk around the airport from the arrivals area to the main door to the car park and he is still not there. OH CRAP. I have his cell phone number in my phone but it’s formatted to dial from Canada to South Africa and not as a local call. I go to the info desk and ask the guy if he can call someone for me. I explain I’m meeting my friend, I don’t have any money and I’m supposed to be getting my money from my friend. So I show him the phone number and after a minute, he figures out what he is supposed to dial.
He calls my friend.

No answer. CRAP, CRAP, CRAP.

I ask him to dial again, no answer.

Ok, this is where I’m about to lose it, thinking that my friend stole all my money and left me in South Africa. I start thinking of what my options are. Should I contact the Canadian embassy, the police, someone else? What should I do? So I sit down by the door and think. 10-15 minutes later my friend shows up, 1hr after my plane was supposed to have landed. I am super glad.

Turns out that I was the only person he has picked up from the Cape Town airport to not take 1+ hour to get bags and do immigration. He has picked up his family and friends before.

My friend doesn’t actually have a flat in Cape Town, he has a flat in Somerset West, which is a 1/2hr drive east of Cape Town and a 15-20 minute drive south of Stellenbosch. He also is a wine agent in Canada and sells South African wines in Toronto, so he can get lots of goodies from wineries by showing a business card.

So I don’t remember what I did everyday but an overview would be as follows.

-Wine, lots and lots of wine tastings.
-Stellenbosch touring and free concerts
-Cape Town, clubbing and patio drinks, as well as seeing the city
-Table Mountain
-Hermanus
-Ceres
-Grayton
-Lounging around the swimming pool at his flat
-Beaches
-Lots and lots of Fine dining
-Franschhoek
-Paarl and Wellington
-Simon’s Town
-Penguins
-Groot Constatia
-Gordon’s Bay

Some of the highlights of my time in Cape Town.

Franshhoek:

What a glorious little town which has become a foodie town in the last few years. We went here a few times for the wine estate and lunch at La Petite Ferme. This is a French provincial dining establishment and has some of the best food and views in all of South Africa. Everything on the menu is really good; the wines are fantastic and overall it is a really good value for what you get. Everyone should go here for lunch if you go to Cape Town.

The view from La Petite Ferme:

IMG_5597 by smarties22ca, on Flickr

Stellenbosch:

It is a historical university town with lots and lots of wine estates around the city. You can stroll around the city and look at the Cape Dutch style architecture.
We found another one of best restaurants in South Africa; it is Clos Malverne wine estate in the Devon Valley, just outside of Stellenbosch. They have a 4 course wine and food pairing lunch for R195. You can pick 3 or 4 items for each course and each dish is paired with a generous serving of their own wine, which is really really good. You also get a glass of MCC for free upon arrival and the odd time a dessert wine for free.
For New Years, we went there and they had an 8 course food and wine pairing with proper flatware for each course for R500. That was some of the best food I have ever had and the wine went with it perfectly. At course 6, we found out that we could get refills and after that, let’s say things went downhill pretty fast though in a good way. After dinner, there was dancing and then we rang in the New Year. Overall, we each had 14 glasses of wine (I think? Lol). It was such a great night. Well worth a visit there, though you have to make sure you have a reservation beforehand.

The view from Clos Malverne:

IMG_5417 by smarties22ca, on Flickr

Table Mountain:

Near the end of the trip, we went up Table Mountain; we went after I believe 5PM, so it was half off. It is so nice and beautiful up there and also quiet since you are more than 500m above the actual city. We also saw the sunset over the Atlantic Ocean, very nice and definitely a thing you should do in Cape Town.

Atop the mountain:

IMG_5937 by smarties22ca, on Flickr

Beaches:

The beaches around Cape Town are somewhat weird due to the fact that the west coast water temperature is 5-7C colder than the water on the south side. That means the beaches on the west coast are not as popular as some on the south. Two of the top beaches are Bikini Bay in Gordon’s Bay and the Onrus beach just outside of Hermanus.

A west coast beach, notice the lack of people:

IMG_5628 by smarties22ca, on Flickr

Groot Constatia:

The granddaddy of wine estates in South Africa. This is the first wine estate that was founded in 1685 by Simon van der Stel. The wine here is excellent and a good value as well. The tasting room is large and has lots of Afro-kitsch in it. If you like any sort of wine, a visit here is worth it just for the history alone.

A building on the estate:

IMG_5695 by smarties22ca, on Flickr

Some random shots of the trip:

Oddest bathroom ever, no, it's not mirrored glass.

IMG_5478 by smarties22ca, on Flickr

Hermanus.

IMG_5490 by smarties22ca, on Flickr

Sadly my time in Cape Town and I had to fly back to Toronto. Canadians need a visa to stay in U.A.E., I read that you can get one before you leave the previous country. So at the airport, I applied for my visa at the check in desk and the manager emailed it to the Abu Dhabi office so I could pick it up upon arrival or so I thought. Surviving Cape Town, CHECK, though sadly wanted to stay more.

Overall, Cape Town and the surrounding area is a great place to visit and stay, the weather was beautiful (it rained 2 or 3 days when I was there). The food was great, the people were nice. Overall, it was an awesome experience. I definitely would go back (I did last year and will be going this next year, I will write up both of these trip experiences). I was also under budget somehow.

Flight 3, CPT-AUH

Flying to JNB, this flight was probably 5% full, I think there was at most 20 other people on this flight, very empty and again a snack service was served on the flight. Another 1-2hrs in JNB in which more people got on, over all it was around 50-60% full at this point and we were then in the air to AUH. This flight was like my flight to Cape Town, the three seats beside me were empty, the service was great and it was a nice and quiet flight. I again slept 4-5hrs on this flight. We landed in AUH about 45 min early and from this point on, hell broke loose.

Abu Dhabi:

We disembark the plane and I am in terminal 3 on my way to get my visa. I go to visa control and they send to the EY visa desk. At this desk, they send me to Terminal 1 to the transfer desk to get my visa. 10-20 min walk later, I’m at this desk and they send me back to the visa desk to get my visa. Sigh. So I walk back and talk to the people there, they send me to the airport visa pickup. Massive line for this and people are constantly cutting me off in the line, very very rude and ungracious. So the people at the visa pickup desk send me back to the EY visa pickup saying they don’t have it. At this desk, they say they can’t find my record of it being sent from Cape Town this morning and I wasn’t given a number in Cape Town, so they can’t check it. They then send me back to the transfer desk, and they still can’t find the email from this morning. URGGH. There are three other people having the same problem I am, two were found here, so that left me and another gentleman. At this point, I’m almost ready to cancel my whole Dubai stopover since I’ve been given the runaround for the past 2-3 hrs and they still don’t have my visa or proof that it was sent. So I walk back to the airport visa pickup and think for a few minutes about what my options are, when the other gentleman from before runs up to me and says, “They have you visa in the other terminal, I just got mine.” YES!!!! So I go to the transfer desk and pick up my visa, FINALLY. The person behind the desk hands me my visa, doesn’t ask for payment or anything and says to have a nice stay in the country. Before leaving her, I ask if that is it since I didn’t pay for it and she said, “Yes, it was.” Oh, what a nice gesture, they are picking up the cost of my visa since I’ve been given the runaround. Oh, how wrong I was.

I can finally go through immigration and I do, only to find there is no bags on the bag carousel, oh great. At this point, I am extremely stressed out and just want to go home, I am defeated. I head over to the baggage desk and looking downcast, I hand them my baggage claim. It turns out that if luggage is not picked up within two hours of arrival, they pull it off to the side which is what happened to me, thankfully. By this time, it is 2am local time and my bus to Dubai left at 7:30AM (the earliest bus I could book), so I’m sleeping in the airport tonight, or so I thought.

You would think that being in the Middle East, it would be somewhat warm at night, well that’s wrong, and it was cold enough to see my breath outside, so around 6-8C. They also had the AC on in the airport at full blast, I was freezing and could not get any sleep at all, and I was up all night. Luckily when I left Toronto, I brought my winter coat with me, I had to put in on while trying to sleep in the airport, and I was still cold. 7am rolls around, I’m tired, exhausted, stressed, freezing, not a good way to start in another city. I hop on the bus to Dubai, the interior was pretty worm and I tried to sleep for most of the 1hr 20min bus ride, I couldn’t.

Dubai:

I was dropped off at the Chelsea Towers and had to make my way to the hotel from there. I took the metro there, tripping in front of a cop, how embarrassing. Upon arrival at the hotel at around 9AM, I am told I cannot check into my hotel room until after 1 or so. Darn. I leave my luggage in the lobby and start exploring the city for a few hours. One of the first things I do is go to the Tim Horton’s there (Hey, I am Canadian after all)

IMG_5999 by smarties22ca, on Flickr

Getting a coffee and bagel set me back around $7.50CAD, things here seem to be really expensive. I explore a bit more of the city and head back to the hotel room to nap a bit. I go out for dinner at a local place and this conversation happens:

Server: What can I get you to drink?
Me: Tap water.
Server: We don’t have tap water here, only bottled.
Me: Sigh, I drank the water in South Africa and I can’t drink it here.
Me: Fine, I’ll get the bottled water.

Another expensive dinner with an expensive bottle of water and it tasted like the food I could get in Toronto.

I see the water show at Dubai Mall that night and I must say it is really impressive.

The next morning I am up early and trying to find gifts for friends, I also go to the old city and that is the part of Dubai I liked the most. I picked up a nice silk shawl for my aunt and a few other things for other people. That night, I walk around the Dubai Mall for 2hrs, not even seeing all the stores, I did pick up 2 silk ties for myself though. That mall is huge. I also went earlier to the Mall of the Emirates, another big mall. I was also looking for food and it turns out they don’t serve any alcohol in the Dubai Mall. At this point, I was so stressed out; I just needed a beer, so I had to go across the road to a place that served some. My dinner was steamed rice, a green curry and a bottle of beer for $40CAD. The beer was $10 but that’s ok, since they were charging $7 for a bottle of water. The prices here were a shocker to me comparing it to the prices I had in South Africa for the past 8 weeks.
I had to be up 6am the next morning to catch the 7am bus back to Abu Dhabi. On this bus, I get asked if I paid for my visa, my response, Yes????. Person goes back on the phone and then hands me a paper saying I have talk to someone in the transit desk at the airport.

CRUD.

I get to the airport and talk to the person and they said I did not pay for my visa and that I would have to pay for it, so I tell them what happened when I arrived and that their person made a mistake and just handed me my visa without payment. I still have to pay for it. CRUD. This is happening with less than 2 hours to go before my flight leaves. Based on their mistake, I budgeted the visa money into spending money, so I actually didn’t have enough money to pay for the whole visa since I spent it earlier. The person at front desk phones someone and then they ask if I can pay by CC, I can’t, they tell the other person this, they say, I still have to pay.

DOUBLE CRUD.

If I don’t pay, I will be barred from entering the country and have a mark in my record. I don’t mind that, I didn’t really like Dubai anyways but they were also going to kick me off my flight back. Now that was a problem. The person at the desk ask if I can the security part of the visa, which was about half of the total amount. Luckily I could and they charged the rest to the Cape Town office, thus allowing me to get on my flight.

Overall, I pretty much hated Dubai, the people were rude, it was super expensive, and the city is ugly. Generally, not a fun place to be in, unless you are super rich. I did like the metro stations, they looked really nice and I also liked the water show at the Dubai Mall. The older part of the city was very nice to walk around in as well.

Flight 4, AUH – YYZ

This flight was like my outbound flight to Abu Dhabi, full of families and screaming children, I did not get any sleep on this flight. I think I watched 4 or 5 movies instead. The load on it was 100% again. Being in a full cabin on a 14.5hr flight was not fun. The flight attendants were also rude as well. Before landing in Toronto, children would run up and down the aisles playing with and touching people’s screens, I was not impressed one bit with this behaviour. We landed fine in Toronto on a grey dreary day in winter, oh joy. The plane was also a dump when everyone got off of it, I hate slobs.

Final impressions of this trip, flights to and from Abu Dhabi sucked. Flights to and from Cape Town were great. Cape Town and surrounding area is a great place to vacation to. I hated Dubai. Here are the photos from the trip.

Cape Town:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/theferr...7629291080479/

Dubai:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/theferr...7629291013307/

Thanks for reading this and if you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask away.

Last edited by TheFerret; Aug 19, 2013 at 8:48 am Reason: Linking to menus and adding maps.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Great pictures. Did you ever have any further difficulties re: the visa?
Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

No, I didn't thankfully. But it was a massive pain getting it in the first place.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: FT
great first TR.

i think canada was having a little spat with UAE at this time as i recall over EK flights.

the photo of the cloud going over the mountain is great in CPT.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold/*G, Marriott/SPG Gold Elite
Great trip report! Thanks for sharing. I've been wanting to visit U.A.E. mainly because the country and its culture are so exotic to me. After reading your experience, I'm thinking I should probably used the travel money for somewhere else. Lol.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Great report and great pictures. Did you enhance some of them? If so how?
Old Aug 16, 2013, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tanglin
Great report and great pictures. Did you enhance some of them? If so how?
I use Adobe Lightroom as my editing and library for my photos. My standard work flow is:

-Getting proper exposure
-White balance
-Changing the curves to increase contrast
-Cropping if needed.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very nice! Please do stick around
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Wow, first flight and a great trip report. Great job TheFerret.
I really enjoyed your detail and humour.

Yeah, I once made that 24/12 hour clock mistake. Bet you'll never do that again. Loved the pic of the urinals facing the window!
Old Aug 18, 2013, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Here are some things from this trip that I found on my desktop computer.

The table setup and menu at Clos Malverne for New Years.

For those who cannot read the menu, it is as follows:

Cold cucumber and crayfish soup
with mint creme fraiche and salmon caviar.
Served with Clos Malverne Sauvignon Blanc

Prawn and sole rolls
with a lemon and pistachio drizzle and micro radish.
Served with Clos Malverne Chardonnay

Smoked springbok salad
with Gorgonzola, pear, rocket and a saffron infused dressing.
Served with Clos Malverne Cabernet Merlot

Butternut and goats cheese ravioli
with Parmesan, pine nuts and a nutty sage butter.
Served with Clos Malverne Merlot

Spicy Seared Norwegian Salmon
with chili and coriander ailoli and teriyaki marinated vermicelli noodles.
Served with Clos Malverne Cabernet Shiraz

Blueberry and Clos Malverne Brut Sorbet

Veal and truffle experience
with Shitake mushrooms, cauliflower puree, truffle jus and potato bake.
Served with Clos Malverne Pinotage Reserve.

Camembert Fondant
With homemade white peach syrup, drunken grapes, crispy black forest ham and a micro salad.
Served with Clos Malverne Auret.

Strawberry and white Chocolate terrine
With strawberry jelly, sweet reduced balsamic and crispy fried basil.
Served with Clos Malverne Le Cafe Pintoage.

So I can only find menus for 3 of the 4 flights, I cannot find it from the AUH to YYZ flight.

YYZ-AUH:
A la carte

Spiced potato salad with lollo rosso

Herb crusted chicken on pesto spaghetti and sauteed spinach

Lamb tangine with vegetable couscous

Mild cauliflower and peas curry with steam rice and dal.

Dessert service

Warm baked apple crumble with vanilla custard.

Americano, cappuccino, espresso, hot chocolate,
Ceylon tea, Green tea

Cafe service

Turkey and lettuce on light grain bread

Hummus and lettuce on white bread

A la carte

Artichoke and vegetable salad

Chicken kofta in ras al hanout sauce with basmati rice and roasted zucchini

Ceylon tea and brewed coffee

AUH-CPT
A la carte

Smoked chicken with chickpeas and potato chat

Warm bakery

Fish Sayadiya with aromatic rice

Beef shepherd's pie with chunk sauteed vegetables

Jeera pulao with dal makhani and aloo gobi

Dessert Service

Warm cinnamon crumble with mocha custard
or
Ice cream

Cafe Service

Breakfast pastry

CPT-AUH
A la carte

Fried halloumi cheese on lentil salad and crisp leaves

Warm bakery

Tradition chicken biryani with fried onions and cashew nuts.

Slow-braised beef in rich sauce whit potato mash and roasted vegetables.

Fettuccine paste in Parmesan sauce and sauteed mixed peppers.

Dessert service with hot beverages

Warm chocolate and mandarin cake
or
Creme brulee mousse with chocolate flakes.

Cafe service

Warm chef's selection of savoury pastries
or
Hot soup with bread roll

I believe I had the lamb on the first flight, the fish on the second and the chicken on the third.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: QFF
That Table Mountain photo is absolutely stunning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.