United we go to Europe (Part 2) – CDG-EWR on UA in J with pics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Star Alliance Silver, jetBlue TrueBlue, CX Asia Miles, & Delta SkyMiles

Hello FlyerTalk!

This is a continuation of my trip report of my trip to London and Paris. This part will focus on my return journey on United (CDG to EWR) on BusinessFirst. Here is the link for the first part:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ua-y-pics.html

Thanks for reading!

United Airlines flight UA 55, August 3rd, 2013
Paris Charles de Gaulle International Airport (CDG) to Newark-Liberty International Airport (EWR)
Gate – 42
Seat – 3F (BusinessFirst)
Departure (Scheduled/Actual): 1:10pm/1:04pm
Arrival (Scheduled/Actual): 3:40pm/3:16pm
Aircraft – Boeing 757-200 (N21108/#3108)

I arrived at T1 of CDG via the RoissyBus from the Opera House (I highly recommend this – only 10 Euros!). Everything was a bit chaotic and I found it a bit hard to find the UA desk. I did find the desk but found more chaos. There was a long line for Y class and the Premier Access line was no better. It was about a 10-minute wait before I reached the desks. Before, there was an agent scanning passports, asking security questions, and putting security stickers on luggage and passports. I noticed that most people on the Premier Access line were not flying Business/First class but rather had the Mileage Plus credit card or UA Premier status. Once I reached the desk, the friendly agent asked my destination, quickly printed out my ticket. She informed me of the Star Alliance Lounge, right past immigration. I asked where the VAT refund desk was and she told me it was the level below. I had to ask, as the signs were not clear.

After hitting the VAT refund desk, I headed to immigration/security. I then realized that I was not given a pass or told of a premium cabin line for immigration/security. I also did not notice a separate line for Business/First passengers. In fact, once I reached immigration, I had to tell someone that I was flying business class. Thankfully, he let me skip the line. Once past immigration, I headed straight for the Star Alliance Lounge.

The lounge was easy to find. I was greeted with a ”Bonjour” and the agent scanned my boarding pass and led me downstairs to the business class area (first class area is on the same level as the entry). The lounge was pretty nice. Thankfully it was not crowded at the time (as I have heard stories of overcrowding). I was able to find a seat easily. After settling down, I grabbed some food (today dishes was a Moroccan cuisine theme), which was couscous and chicken tagine. It was actually good. Drinks section was great, ranging from French wines, beers, and non-alcoholic drinks. Also in the lounge were magazines, newspapers, and TV’s showing news channels. I appreciated how clean the lounge was. I noticed that there were no attendants rather than cleaning crews to take plates. However, it did not bother me. I stayed in the lounge for 45 minutes before leaving for the gate.

Once I reached security, there was no premium line but thankfully there was no line. A UA agent asked me if I was on the IAD flight, as it was about to leave. The area I was in was busy and it looked like it was going to be a full flight to EWR. After 10 minutes after I arrived, boarding started.

I was excited to fly UA international BusinessFirst again (I flew BF last when it was CO on EWR-LHR three year ago). However, things started to fall apart. When I reached the boarding door, no one was there to greet me. I had to find my own seat. I noticed that FA’s and ground crew were preoccupied (they were eventually trying to fix the IFE system). However, it came across to me as if they were fighting. Once at my seat, I settled down and starting placing my iPod, phone, and other things around. I also noticed that the window in front of me was a bit broken and let some light in. It didn’t bother me but it did bother the person next to me. The FA working J today came by and handed me a menu but rather than handing it to me it gently tossed the menu to the cocktail table. I also thought he take drink orders but did not. He also did not introduce/welcome me. I also noticed that the amenity kit was placed in area above the shoulder, where the power and plugs are. The amenity kit could have been hard to find or not noticed at all. This amenity kit had less than the old CO one, but was still nice and practical.

Unlike other airlines, like Cathay, none of the FA’s introduced themselves nor did they remember or greet any passengers by name.

Only until all J passengers were seated that pre-departure drinks were served. Choices were water, orange juice, and champagne. I took the champagne choice and it was a bit dry but tasty. In addition, the FA finally welcomed me aboard (after 15-20 minutes). Before the door closed, the FA took lunch orders by status (I noticed he jumped from the first row, then to the last then to the second before going from the rear to the front). I also noticed that the ground staff did not come by to thank J passengers for flying United (last time I flew BF – both from ARL-EWR and EWR-LHR, there was a ground staff to thank the passengers for flying UA). Soon after, we were airborne.

Below is the lunch menu for the flight:
---
TO BEGIN
Warm roasted nuts
Chilled Appetizer – Ginger prawn with sweet chili sauce
Fresh Seasonal Greens – Tomato, kalamata olives, almonds, and croutons with your choice of creamy yogurt dressing or balsamic vinaigrette

Freshly baked breads and assorted rolls with butter

MAIN COURSE
Tenderloin of Beef – Marsala wine sauce, chive mashed potatoes, carrots, and sugar snap peas
Peruvian-style Brest of Chicken – Vegetable quinoa, sautéed spinach, and bell peppers
Fillet of Salmon & Shrimp – Balsamic vegetable sauce and herbed couscous
Four-Cheese Ravioli – Pear and honey sauce with Parmesan cheese

TO FINISH
International Cheese Selection – Grapes and crackers with Portal Lake Bottled Vintage Porto 2008

Dessert – Ice cream with your choice of toppings

MID-FLIGHT SNACK
Fruit and light snacks are available at any times following the meal service.

PRIOR TO ARRIVAL
Chicken Flat Bred Wrap – Fresh fruit appetizer, ratatouille salad, marinara sauce, and chocolate
---

I chose the salmon choice and surprisingly it was tasty and juicy. I’m always afraid the main course will come out dry. I noticed that UA does not do three small warm appetizers for J class anymore (CO used to have a small soup, and two hot appetizers for BusinessFirst). But the chilled appetizer was still good. My only complaint about meal service is how long it takes. I know you can ask for an executive option but I wanted to take my time eating.

After meal service, I watched some movies. However, because there was a problem with the IFE, the movie choices were the same as the previous months choices. I was a bit disappointed as I was looking forward to see some of the August movie choices. But it was no big deal. Also, my headset was not working on one side. I would have asked for another one but I just ended up using my own Beats headsets. After watching a movie, I turned the seat into a bed.

About 2.5 to 3 hours before arriving in EWR, I awoke to the smell of warm chocolate chip cookies. I wasn’t sure if they were handing them out or you had to ask for it but I didn’t get one. Oh well. I watched another movie before pre-arrival meal service started. It was a chicken wrap with a side of fruit, and ratatouille salad. It was pretty good but small for a “lunch.”

Before landing, the head FA (did not work J class) went around to shake hands with J passenger and thanked them for flying UA. We landed early but used Terminal B instead of Terminal C. However, this was a blessing since the immigration line for US citizens was short. However, bags took a while to come out. When they did, some non-priority bags came out first.

Overall, I had a great time with UA BusinessFirst. However, there are some things that have changed for the worst. It seems as if there are still teething problems with the UA/CO merger. Service should have been better (someone at the door to greet, welcoming J passengers, etc.). The BF seat was good and bed position was comfortable. However, I think that the recline could have been better. Hopefully some of these teething problems are fixed the next time I fly premium UA.

I welcome any comments or questions. Thank you for reading my report! I will post pictures of Paris on another thread.

Below are pictures of my trip!

Entrance to the Star Alliance Lounge

Stools and lounge chairs

Self-service buffet and bar area

Going to the gate

Today's plane - a B757-200

Gate area

Our neighbor, a TG A380 to BKK

BusinessFirst Cabin

BusinessFirst seat

Ottoman area

The menu for today's flight

Warm blanket

New J class amenity kit

United, please fix this

Plugs and power

Welcome champagne

IFE screen

Remote control

Goodbye CDG!

OneWorld CX parked at CDG
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Star Alliance Silver, jetBlue TrueBlue, CX Asia Miles, & Delta SkyMiles
More pictures of the flight!

Warm nuts

Pretzel bread - so good!

Shrimp appetizer

Salad

Salmon choice

Yummy ice cream sundae

BF seat after meal service

My neighbor's IFE

Cabin shot after meal service

Almost there!

Pre-arrival meal service - Chicken wrap

Being lazy before landing...

Over Newark

Why hasn't UA changed this?

Landing in EWR

At Terminal B in EWR

Thanks for reading!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Good to see that they offered "champagne" as a PDB option. On my five flights in BF this year, champagne was a PDB option only once (ORD-HKG, where they were doing u-call-it pre-departure beverages like PMCO used to do, if memory serves). Thanks for the great report!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:29 pm

Y on UNITED sucks.The worst legroom and the worst measly meals.

However C seems OK.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Y on UNITED sucks.The worst legroom and the worst measly meals.

However C seems OK.
Actually, I'd say LH Y is worse than UA. International Y is something I'd say UA does fairly well, in fact. One of the few things. It's behind LX, SK, NH, etc, but not terrible, by any means. And objectively, UA has nowhere near the worst legroom, especially taking E+ into account. I've had some pleasant experiences in UA Y.

Last edited by zcat18; Aug 9, 2013 at 8:07 pm
Old Aug 10, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Nice report! Must say that the BusinessFirst product looks fine, and I wouldn't mind trying it sometime.

Though I can't agree on SK's Economy product making it anywhere near the top. Ancient loop-IFE (i.e non AVOD), only a few limited servings of alcohol, and the fact that you have to pay for your sodas, juice and snacks served in-between the meals. I would might consider it even falling short of United's Economy.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by LH4116
Nice report! Must say that the BusinessFirst product looks fine, and I wouldn't mind trying it sometime.

Though I can't agree on SK's Economy product making it anywhere near the top. Ancient loop-IFE (i.e non AVOD), only a few limited servings of alcohol, and the fact that you have to pay for your sodas, juice and snacks served in-between the meals. I would might consider it even falling short of United's Economy.
Wow, I had no idea SK was that bad. It's been years since I've flown them, so I'm sure it's changed. I remember a fresh warm bread basket, gracious and attentive FAs (by Y standards), and definitely no paying for drinks of any kind. I'm sure the AVOD was bad by today's standards, but back then, it was more than adequate. It's a shame they've fallen off.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 1:26 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by zcat18
Actually, I'd say LH Y is worse than UA. International Y is something I'd say UA does fairly well, in fact. One of the few things. It's behind LX, SK, NH, etc, but not terrible, by any means.
Except for the lack of free grog in economy - a direction many carriers seem to be headed (unless TPAC) which I don't particularly care for!!
Old Aug 10, 2013, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by zcat18
Good to see that they offered "champagne" as a PDB option. On my five flights in BF this year, champagne was a PDB option only once (ORD-HKG, where they were doing u-call-it pre-departure beverages like PMCO used to do, if memory serves). Thanks for the great report!
It isn't champagne, it's sparkling white wine. The champagne doesn't get opened until airborne.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Here are some of my pictures from Paris! Enjoy!

Eiffel Tower (or Tour Eiffel)

Pompidou Center

Love padlocks on a bridge

The Seine

The Louvre

Musee d'Orsay

The Opera House

Galaries Lafayette

This is in the Latin Quarter - where they filmed "Midnight in Paris" (Specifically the scenes where Owen Wilson enters the car

Notre Dame

Sacre-Coeur

Sacre-Coeur again

View to the bottom from Sacre-Coeur

Place de la Concorde fountain

Champs-Élysées

Arc de Triomphe

Thanks for reading!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LH4116
Thank you! You should try it out! I think it is worth it to upgrade, especially on long-haul flights to Asia.

Originally Posted by worldtrav
It isn't champagne, it's sparkling white wine. The champagne doesn't get opened until airborne.
I think it was champagne (only trusting the word of the FA). Plus, I saw him open the bottle when we were at the gate.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I typically fly this 2 round trips and a 1 way every year and it's a great BusFirst experience and have never had a single issue with the flight.
Last year one of my flights over the seat next to me was empty, one year I think I must have been next to a UA employee who didn't get up but once (I have to sit on the aisle, I get up to pee too much) and the best was when I was sharing the seat next to me with my Mom.

The only thing (as I always say on the survey feedback) is offer another desert besides the sundae!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So it looks like UA no longer uses trays in BusinessFirst...they are following the CO model of serving everything on the tray table directly? or is that just because it is a space issue for trays on the 757? I am also pleased to see that the bread delivery, appetizer, and salad are all separate "courses" rather than all being plopped down at once on one tray. Is that the case with the new product offering?

Is the ice cream and fruit/cheese delivered at once? or in two servings/courses?
Which wine glasses are they using? The old BF ones or the old BF cocktail glasses (which are seen in these photos above)?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
The snack/breakfast/light meal is usually all plated on a tray together in that last ~90 of the flight.
The other service from what I have been on fly BF EWR to Europe is that of everything being brought out and served individually as you eat and finish the courses.
Sometimes there has been a cart that comes out and plates the appetizers asking if you'd like each part of it, sometimes it's just brought out on a plate together.
Entrees brought out on their own dish, usually 2 passes through with the bread bowl.
Cheese and sundaes come out own their own carts with the sundae being offered as you'd like with specific toppings and then the cheese/fruit with some bottles of desert wine and Kahlua/etc.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
The snack/breakfast/light meal is usually all plated on a tray together in that last ~90 of the flight.
The other service from what I have been on fly BF EWR to Europe is that of everything being brought out and served individually as you eat and finish the courses.
Sometimes there has been a cart that comes out and plates the appetizers asking if you'd like each part of it, sometimes it's just brought out on a plate together.
Entrees brought out on their own dish, usually 2 passes through with the bread bowl.
Cheese and sundaes come out own their own carts with the sundae being offered as you'd like with specific toppings and then the cheese/fruit with some bottles of desert wine and Kahlua/etc.
Glad to see UA adopted the CO model for business class, that was a nice product...glad to see it is sticking around. UA used to deliver trays with everything on it, I wonder if they still do on sUA metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.