Wiki Posts
Search

You want me to eat WHAT?! - A culinary tour through Vietnam & Cambodia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by broenor
Very nice trip report, with amazing photos!

(Back in 1998 I pretty much followed the same itineary in Vietnam as you, and in 2003 I visited Siem Reap. I enjoyed the places including all the food. So your TR brings back a lot of memories..).
I am glad you liked it.

Originally Posted by Spymon
Thanks for the fantastic report. The cooking looked like a lot of fun and a great way to immerse yourself with local life, though I'm not sure I could have eaten the eggs and insects from the beginning of the trip. If you don't mind me asking what tour company did you use as this looks the kind of trip I'd like to try one day?
It was great fun being adventurous tasting some new things good and bad.

The tour was run by an Aussie company called Travel Indochina and apart from the mix up with the cooking day in Siem Reap it was very well done.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Day 16 - Siem Reap - Kuala Lumpur

A slow start to the day today with a late breakfast around 09:00. After breakfast we met and said farewell to the first two of our party of five in the lobby who were waiting for their airport transfer.

After this we packed and re-packed and waited in the room until we were ready to check out. Our pickup had been organised for 12:00 so at the appointed time we went down and checked out.

It was a 10 minute drive to the airport where we were able to check-in at the dedicated business class check-in desk of Malaysia Airlines. This was quick and painless and the agent gave us a lounge invite for the Le Salon lounge airside that is run by the airport.

We went down to security and were processed quickly as there were no queues. Next stop was emigration where again the process was quick and easy with no queue.

After a wander around the shops airside, including one last chance to buy something from the Artisan silk company, we made our way to the lounge.

Inside there were some tired looking chairs and food in the form of salad, fruits, sandwiches, some savoury pastries, fried eggs, fried rice and various skewered items. There was also a fridge with beer, water and other soft drink and a manned bar with various spirits and red and white wine.

At 13:45 one of the lounge staff came over and informed us that the flight was now boarding. We collected up our things and made our way to the gate.

There was a long queue waiting to get their BP scanned but a member of staff was pulling families out of the line to board. We approached him and showed him our business BP and he took the stub and checked our passports. We then walked out to the plane and up the stairs on board.

Flight MH0765 REP-KUL Seat 2A
Aircraft: A737-800
Departure time: 14:15

Once on board the crew came by and offered guava, apple or orange juice for a pre-take off beverage. I opted for the guava juice. As boarding wound down the crew came out with cold towels for the business class passengers. The cabin was in a 2-2 configuration with 4 rows. There were 6 people in business for the flight.

We pushed back at 14:05 a good ten minutes early and taxied out to the end of the runway. On the way the crew handed out the menu for the flight.

It was a bit odd being in a what seemed like a brand new Sky Interior 737-800 but it still had very old, but updated seats. You could tell the IFE controls were new but the seat and controls seemed very old.

We took off at 14:10 and took off over Siem Reap and I could see Angkor Wat below and really got a great impression of how large the complex really is.
After the seat belt went off the crew came out and took the meal and drinks orders.

On the menu for today’s flight was:

APPETIZER
Minced Prawn and Tofu Salad with Wasabi Oyster Sauce

BAKERY SELECTION

MAIN COURSE

Kung Po Chicken with Cashew Nut
Sweet and spicy stir fried chicken with steamed rice and sautéed vegetables

Or

Baked Prawn Khmer Style
Baked prawn with chilli, lemongrass, turmeric and ginger, served with steamed rice and mixed vegetables

Or

Beef Lasgne

DESSERT
Fresh Fruits

BEVERAGES
Warm Me Up

COFFEE
Specialty Coffees
White Coffee “O”
Local black coffee, roasted with margarine and sugar-free, distinctively full-bodied
Nescafe Gold Blend
Nescafe Decaffeinated

TEA
Malaysian Favourites
The Tarik
Literally translated as “pulled tea”, this milk tea is traditionally prepared in coffee shops and hawker stalls by pouring the drink back and forth between two glasses for a frothy finish.
Black Teas
Ceylon Meda Watte
Best prepared with salads, barbecued meats and nuts
Earl Grey
Tea Blend
A blend of Papua New Guinea and Ceylon tea
Herbal & Flavoured Teas
Japanese Green Tea
Jasmine Green Tea

Chocolate
Milo Chocolate Malt Drink
Cool Me Down
Fruit Juices
Orange Juice
Apple Juice
Pink Guava Juice
Guavas are rich in dietary fibre, vitamins A and C, and antioxidants. They contain four times the vitamin C than oranges.
Mineral Water
Soft Drinks

HAPPY HOUR COCKTAILS
Aperitifs
Campari
Martini Extra Dry
Martini Rosso
Beers
Carlsberg
Tiger
Cognac
Otard Jade
Liqueurs
Bailey’s Irish Cream
Cointreau
Drambuie
Tia Maria
Premium Spirits
Bacardi Superior Rum
Gordon’s Gin
Smirnoff Blue Vodka
Blended Whiskys
Chivas Regal 12 Years
Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whisky
Johnnie Walker Black Label
Cocktails
Bloody Mary
Collins
Gin Fizz
Highballs
Manhattan
Martini
Screwdriver
Sours

I won’t bother listing the wine out here as it didn’t represent the truth.

I opted to go with the Kung Po chicken and a glass of the white Burgundy. A while later the crew member came out and poured me a taste of the wine. It was in fact a Riesling that I wasn’t in the mood for. I said the menu had a White Burgundy and she went to check. She came back a little later and sad they only had the Riesling on board. I said I would like some red wine instead and asked what they had. She came back with an Aussie Shiraz that was also not on the menu and offered this to me. It was quite nice so I stuck with that for the meal.

The tables were set with cloths and then the meal trays were delivered one by one from the galley.

The meal was very acceptable especially when it was considered a light meal on the menu. The food was well cooked and flavourful and hit the spot nicely. My glass was topped up once during the meal as well as my water glass.

After the meal it was almost time to begin descent into KL.
The tray was cleared and I was left with my glass until it was empty but no further offers of refills were made.

Around 30 minutes out the IFE was stopped and they played a tourism Malaysia video followed by a KLIA video explaining how to get through the airport procedures.

We landed at 16:55 and taxied to our gate that was at the main terminal. We stopped short of the gate and the crew got up and started to help people retrieve their bags. We then pulled forward a little bit more before finally reaching the gate and then the belt sign went off.
The bridge was attached quickly and we left the aircraft and made the walk up to immigrations. There were no queues and by virtue of our business BP we could use dedicated lanes that were empty. I was processed without the need for biometric information being captured but my British companion had his fingerprints taken.

We then went to the carousel to await our bags. They started arriving pretty quickly and our bags were out within the first dozen or so. It was then off through customs where they didn’t even want to x-ray our bags and then down to the taxi rank and the long drive to the Westin Hotel.

We arrived at 18:45 and were checked in to our twin bedded room with Twin Towers view and Executive lounge access. What a change from the last few weeks. Also the weather was a change too with rain pouring down as we approached the hotel.

We wandered the streets and malls around the hotel before catching a nightcap in a bar before retiring for the night. I must say KL has changed quite a bit since I was last here 7 years ago. It is beginning to look a lot like any other major city with big malls that once inside you could be anywhere in the world.

First for today:

First time on Malaysia Airlines

First time in 737-800 Sky Interior aircraft
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Day 17 - Kuala Lumpur - KL Sights

It was a lovely morning in Kuala Lumpur and I was able to grab a couple of shots from the hotel room. The last time I stayed here around 6 years ago you could see the two towers of the Petronas complex. It seems progress had blotted out that particular sight; I am sure the Westin are chuffed about that!

After a great breakfast in the Westin lounge we decided to hop in a cab and visit the Menara KL tower. The viewing deck of this communications tower is higher than you can get in the Petronas Towers so we figured we would do this instead.

After wandering around up there for 30 minutes or so we descended back to earth avoiding picking up the tacky photo they took of us before ascending. We then walked down the hill that the tower is perched on and wandered the streets towards Independence Square.

After a few clicks there we made our way over to the China town area. It all seemed a little mundane after spending time in Hanoi and Saigon.

We were hot and bothered and decided to catch the monorail back to the area of our hotel. After this we did some retail therapy by wandering around the huge Pavilion shopping mall that was opposite the hotel.

We then just crashed at the hotel and had a few bites and a drink or two in the lounge before heading back to our room and packing for the flight back to HKG the following day.

First for today:

First time up Menara KL Tower

First time in KL China Town

Last edited by Moomba; Jun 13, 2013 at 4:44 pm
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: GGL/GFL
Originally Posted by Moomba

First for today:

First time up Menara KL Tower

First time in KL China Town
Amazing trip and excellent photos. When are you back in London? This is making me hungry!
Old Jun 7, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, OZ Diamond, CX Silver
Amazing TR. A great pleasure to read! Wow!
Old Jun 7, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA
Excellent and well executed TR. I appreciate the work it takes on the trip and the narrative writing. Your pictures and text had me read through all these 7 pages at one sitting. I learned a lot through your eyes and taste buds.

While you were on this journey, I was making my first visit to London. Great city and people. Now I appreciate even more that there were no bugs on the menu or in my London hotel room!
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by studio76
Amazing trip and excellent photos. When are you back in London? This is making me hungry!
Thanks studio76. I am back on London now. Care to come over and sample my Vietnamese cooking skills?

Originally Posted by bonsaisai
Amazing TR. A great pleasure to read! Wow!
Thank you bonsaisai

Originally Posted by Thor3
Excellent and well executed TR. I appreciate the work it takes on the trip and the narrative writing. Your pictures and text had me read through all these 7 pages at one sitting. I learned a lot through your eyes and taste buds.

While you were on this journey, I was making my first visit to London. Great city and people. Now I appreciate even more that there were no bugs on the menu or in my London hotel room!
I am glad you enjoyed London. Thanks for the kind comments on my TR. ^
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Day 18 - The trip home

As our last day on holiday dawned we still had a little more adventuring to do as we needed to get back to HKG for our return journey to LHR on BA.

We had yet another fabulous breakfast in the Westin Executive Lounge before packing our bags one last time for the trip.

We had decided to catch the train back to KL airport but the Bell Hop convinced us otherwise and as it was a Sunday morning we decided it should be a relatively smooth trip. The Bell Hop negotiated us a fixed price fare with the taxi driver and sent us on our way to KUL.

It took around 55 minutes to get to the airport and once there we located the CX check-in desks and approached the business class desks. The desk was busy so a queue guard waived us over to the group check-in counter. The agent took our passports and I informed her that we had a connecting flight with BA on a separate PNR. She took the details of both bookings over to some other desk and I assume linked the two so that she could check us in for both and tag the bags through to London.

She managed to get my friends BPs to print but the system hung when she attempted the same for me. Cue lots of scratching of heads and jumping desks and five agents involved. Finally she was able to get my BPs and baggage tags for us both printed and sent us on our way with CX lounge invites for KUL. We both noted that they didn't attach any priority luggage tags to our bags though.

Immigration was quick and painless using the dedicated fast track courtesy of business class tickets. I did ask why I didn’t get the bio treatment on the way in and the agent couldn’t explain why I didn’t.

Anyway they did let me out of the country and we went through the security checks next, quite quickly.

We then caught the train over to the satellite terminal. I was quite keen to check out the MH lounges at KUL as I had never been in them before so we pocketed our CX lounge invites and approached the agent at the Golden Lounge instead.

We were welcomed inside the First class section of the lounge.

Inside a staff member welcomed us and another, who I assumed was the lounge manager, gave us a quick tour and explained what they had on offer.

There were showers, a smoking room, buffet food and a sit down restaurant with a la carte menu offerings.

We sat down in some of the comfy chairs and a staff member asked us what
we would like to drink and suggested champagne. Well how did you know we were coming?

Of course we accepted and he scurried off to procure a couple of glasses for us. He came back a while later with the glasses and coasters and then presented the bottle to us before pouring. Nice!

He asked us if we would like some food and suggested he could bring a menu to us. We agreed and he came back again with the menus for us to peruse.

We both ordered the Caesar Salad and he said he would get it prepared for us and let us know when it was ready.

We sat and supped for a while and he came back and refilled our glasses. He then returned saying that our meal was ready and beckoned us over to the dinning area where a table had been prepared and our salads were waiting.

By the time we ate our meal it was getting close to boarding time for our flight so we thanked the great staff and made our way out to the gate.
There were separate queue for First and Biz at the gate lounge entrance and we had to undergo a further security check where laptops, cameras etc had to be taken from our bags.

This was quite quick and we then had our BP and PP checked before entering the waiting area. There was a separate waiting area for elites and F/J passengers that we entered and waited. It wasn’t long before an agent motioned the F/J side to start to board.

We approached and were directed down the lane that led to the bridge connected to door 1L.

Flight CX0722 KUL-HKG Seat 14K
Aircraft: 333-300
Departure time: 13:30

At the door we were greeted by the ISM and directed to the K side of the plane where we stowed our bags and took our seats.

This flight had the old CX J regional business class seats, which meant limited IFE available. The crew offered us OJ, Water or Bubbly prior to take off and we both accepted a glass of bubbles. The captain made his welcome announcement and gave a flight time of 3 hours and 29 minutes to Hong Kong.

We pushed back at 13:25 and made our way out to the runway and took off at 13:43.

Once the belt sign had gone off the crew were out with a hot towel before offering pre-lunch drinks.

To accompany my warm almonds I opted for a scotch and dry ginger ale, surprise, surprise.

Menus were handed out and for Refreshment today we had the choice of:

Starter
Smoked duck breast with raisin and mango salsa

Main Courses
Pan-fried cod fillet with capsicum cream sauce, parsley potatoes and grilled zucchini

Braised chicken with red date and chestnut, steamed rice, pak choy and carrots

Rice vermicelli with chicken, oyster mushroom, tomato and pak choy in tom yam soup

Dessert
Ice Cream

Tea and Coffee

Drink List
Juices

orange, apple, tomato

Soft Drinks
Coke, Coke, Zero, Coke Light, Sprite, Perrier water, tonic water, soda water and ginger ale

Coffees
freshly brewed coffee, espresso, cappuccino and caffe latte regular or decaffeinated

Teas
Hong Kong style milk tea
Ceylon, Japanese, jasmine
organic selection: camomile, early grey and peppermint

Wine List
Champagne

Billecart Salmon Brut Champagne

White Wines
Buissonnier Bourgogne Cote Chalonnaise 2010
Coopers Creek Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2011

Red Wines
Gemtree Bloodstone McLaren Vale Shiraz 2010
Fleurie Cuvee Prestige Les Chambards 2011

Port
Dow’s Late Bottled Vintage Port 2007

Aperitifs
Gin, Rum, Vodka, Martini Rosso, Martini Extra Dry, Campari, Sweet and Dry Sherry, Bloody Mary, Screwdriver

Whiskies
Chivas Regal 12 Years Old, Johnnie Walker Gold Reserve, Jack Daniel’s, Canadian Club

Cognac
Hine ‘Rare and Delicate’ Fine Champagne

Beer
International Selection

Signature Drinks
Oriental Breeze
A sour-plum tea and cranberry juice based non-alcoholic drink with honey and fresh lemon juice and a hint of rose water.

Cloud Nine
A refreshing combination of Vodka, Cointreau and Sprite with a refreshing touch of lemon flavour.

After the drinks the refreshment service began. They started by delivering the starter on the tray from a trolley that first went down the A side and then up the K side of the plane.

The starter was quite nice and I decided to drown this with some of the Sauvignon Blanc.

After I had finished the main courses were being delivered to each seat and presented on a tray for you to choose which one you would like.
I decided to go with the chicken with pak choy dish and switched over to the shiraz for this course.

I attempted to listen to some music on the antiquated IFE but my headset was all distorted so I gave up.

After the mains were cleared away the crew came our with Crème Brulee, Strawberry or Chocolate Hagen Daz ice cream to tempt us. I was tempted by the Crème Brulee and it was nice with my double espresso coffee.

After the meal another hot towel was handed out and a box of chocolates also did the rounds of the cabin.

Time flew by, excuse the pun, and soon another tray of water was being offered before we commenced descent into Hong Kong airport.
We landed at 17:13 and disembarked to find a security check-point right by our gate.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Day 18 - The trip home - part 2

There was a bit of a queue at security but it didn’t take long before we popped up into the departures area just near the entrance to the Pier.

We descended into the F section of the Pier lounge and were welcomed in by the agent.

We pottered around on the computers and had a couple of glasses of sparkling water before deciding to head up to the Wing for a meal and shower before our flight to London.

At the Wing we were again invited in and at around 19:00 we went into the restaurant for some dinner. I grabbed some salad and ordered some of the legendary beef from the a la carte menu that had been given to us when we sat down.

The meal was quite tasty although not over sized and I washed it down with some Cabernet. After the main I was temped by a small slice of cheesecake.

After the meal it was time to freshen up with a nice shower in the Wing cabana area. I was led down several hallways to get to my shower. The halls were all decked out in the same shiny black material as the outside of the lounge. It was quite disturbing and surreal being surrounded by so much black shiny material.

Inside the shower area was similar to the showers of old and were quite spacious compared to the BA lounge showers at Heathrow and much more mellow. I find the stark white plastic nature of the BA ones to quite cheap looking.

So all refreshed and ready to fly I headed out into the main lounge area again
and waited for my friend. I noticed our flight had posted a delay of an hour along with the earlier BA flight. Great!

My friend met up with me and we decided to wander over to the QF/BA lounge making a quick tour of the CX J lounge on the way.

The QF/BA lounge agent welcomed us in and we went inside to wait out our flight. They had some dim sum, pizza, cold meats and salad, soup and various nibbles on offer along with a range of hot and cold beverages.

After a delay of one hour the agent finally announced boarding and we made the trek back to where we could descend one level to the boarding gate level. At the gate we joined the end of the short F/J/Elite boarding queue and went on down to the plane at around 20 minutes past midnight.

Flight BA0028 HKG-LHR Seat 1K
Aircraft: 747-400
Departure time: 23:45

This time we were escorted to our seats at the front of the plane that we knew, from the seat maps, was old First. We were offered a beverage, champagne of course, an amenity kit and some pyjamas. The captain came on the blower announcing a flying time of 11 hours and 55 minutes to London. He also explained the reason for the delay was due to the closure of Russian air space, but it had reopened now and we were set to go. There were 6 of 14 in the F section tonight. There was no re-fill on the bubbles before we pushed back at 00:47 just over an hour late.

We taxied out and took off at 01:05 for what was a very bumpy and noisy ascent. My how that nose wheel likes to complain as it is coming back up.
I started to play with the IFE to see what music was on offer and as usual with the older BA offering it was limited and not much to my taste. It also irritates me on these older systems that you can’t listen to music whilst watching the moving map.

The crew came out with menus for supper and asked if I would like something to drink. Another crewmember came out with a hot towel. One scotch and dry later and bowl of warm nuts later I was a happy camper.

The crew on this flight seemed much friendlier than the outbound and the one that served me the most used my name almost very time she addressed me.

On the menu for tonight was:

DINNER
STARTERS

Smoked breast of duck with asparagus, egg and sunflower seed salad

Ricotta and spinach ravioli with mixed peppers

Fennel soup with dill

Fresh salad leaves with your choice of tarragon cream dressing or sesame soy ginger vinaigrette

MAIN
Smoked lamb medallion with savoyarde potatos and oyster mushrooms

Seared salmon with saffron, fennel and tomato sauce

Sautéed chicken with asparagus in taro basket

Warm crab cake salad with orange mayonnaise

BISTRO SELECTION
Farfalle with tomato coulis and mushrooms

Warm bacon roll

A selection of biscuits

A selection of cheese and fruit

DESSERT
Lemon grass and basil panna cotta with tropical coulis

Banana hazelnut and chocolate chip pudding

CHEESE PLATE
Cambozola
Cheddar
Double Gloucester

Fresh Fruit

BEVERAGES
We offer a selection of the following Twinings Tea:
Teas – English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Mint Humbug, Honeycomb Camomile, Red Berry Fool and Jasmine Pearls

Coffee - Freshly roasted and ground, decaffeinated, espresso or cappuccino

WINES
APERITIF

Kir Royale
A sparkling aperitif combining Crème de Cassis (a blackcurrant liqueur) with Champagne, creating a refreshing cocktail.

CHAMPAGNE

Laurent-Perrier Grand Siecle, Champagne, France

Henriot Vintage Brut 2007, Champagne, France

Bollinger Rose Brut NV, Champagne, France

WHITE
Chablis Grand Cru Bougros 2008, Jean-Marc Brocard, Burgundy, France

Sancerre Les Chasseignes 2010, Domaine Fouassier

Mount Horricks Watervale Riesling 2012, Clare Valley, Australia

RED
Chateau Grand-Puy-Lacoste 2001, Seme Grand Cru Classe Pauillac, Medoc, Bordeaux, France

Tamar Ridge Kayena Vineyard Pinot Noir 2010, Tasmania, Australia

Howard Park Leston Shiraz 2009, Frankland River, Western Australia

DESSERT
Goldackerl Trockenbeerenauslese 2004, Willi Opitz, Burgenland, Austria

Warre’s 1992 Colheita Tawny Port

SPIRITS, DIGETIFS AND LIQEUERS
Gonzalez Byass Sherries
Smirnoff Black Label Vodka
Tanqueray No. 10 Gin
Johnnie Walker Blue Label Scotch Whisky
The Glenlivet 18-year-old Single Malt Whisky
Woodford Reserve Kentucky Whiskey
Drambuie 15-year old Speyside Malt Liqueur
Otard XO Cognac

SOFT DRINKS
A selection of traditional and modern drinks

I was pretty full from grazing most of the day so I decided to keep it light for dinner tonight.

My table was set and the amuse bouche of potato & crab meat with asparagus was presented. It was quite nice and well presented.

I kept it light by ordering the crab cake salad and was presented with something that was perfectly light and delicious. Not often I have been able to say that about BA F food. Perhaps I have always ordered the wrong thing?

I declined any further food and sat back and listened to music and supped on my Pinot Noir that I had been drinking during the meal.

Eventually the late hour got the better of me and I asked the crewmember to make up my bed for me.

Just after I hunkered down for some sleep we hit a really turbulent bit of air. It was the bumpiest I could remember in a long time. Somehow the bumps seem worse when you are lying down too.

It eventually eased off and I was able to get some proper sleep for several hours. The crew had given me a bottle of water on turn down so I was able to keep hydrated through the night.

At around 04:00 London time the lights came on and the crew were out offering breakfast. I stayed down a while longer before getting up and visiting the loo.

For breakfast I had the choice of the following:

BREAKFAST
STARTERS

Chilled fruit juice

An energising fruit smoothie of strawberry, apple and banana

A selection of yoghurts

Muesli with strawberry

Fresh seasonal fruit appetiser

A wide selection of breakfast pastries and rolls

MAIN
Traditional English breakfast of scrambled eggs, sautéed mushrooms, grilled tomato, pork sausage and bacon with bubble and squeak

Mushroom frittata

Fried noodles with chicken vegetables and dim sum

A crewmember stopped by and enquired if I was going to eat this morning and I said I would. She set the table and gave me the smoothie I had requested. I also asked for some Jasmine tea and the fried noodles with dim sum.

The breakfast was edible and quite OK but nothing all that memorable.
After my breakfast changed back into my civvies and as usual was ready to land well before the captain turned on the seat belts. The CSM made a brief visit with immigrations cards and apologised for not visiting earlier in the flight.

We landed at 05:44 and taxied up to a B gate. To my surprise the bridge was connected to door 1 and that meant they would actually let First passengers off first rather than economy plus. The crew held back the Y+ passengers as we disembarked. The crewmember who had been serving me said goodbye, again using my name. I thanked her and walked on up to the terminal and the train to the A building.

Immigration was not too busy but IRIS was roped off that really annoyed me as I have for several years been able to breeze through immigrations. I had to go with plan B that was Fast Track. What a hopeless joke this was. It took 25 minutes to clear immigrations whilst I watched someone who had been in the normal foreigners queue clear immigrations a good five minutes before I did in so called fast track.

My friend who is a British citizen had cleared quickly and was waiting at the carousel with our bags. He informed me that the bags had come out pretty quickly and despite having no priority tags.

We exited through customs and I was eager to get home so decided to forego a visit to the arrivals lounge and instead said my goodbyes and headed on down to the Heathrow Express. The service was running smoothly and 25 minutes later I was at Paddington where I jumped in a cab for the 25 minute ride home.

There you have it folks, I hope you enjoyed my culinary exploits in Vietnam and Cambodia as much as I did. Despite the heat and humidity I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the trip and never have I been so reluctant to go back to London and to work after a holiday.

I suppose I will just have to start planning the next one.

First for today:

First time in MH Golden Lounge at KUL

More Day 18 Photos here

Last edited by Moomba; Jun 13, 2013 at 4:50 pm
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I've just now had the time to read the full report. Moomba, what a spectacular and epic report. Your amazing pics make me feel like I've now been to Vietnam and Cambodia. But the food pics!! Outstanding. You are way more adventuresome than me in the food department.

I know how much time goes into these report. And this is truly one of the best. Thanks so much for taking the time to share.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the excellent report, Moomba. Good thing it's now close to lunch time here in the States

For your tours, did you book one package for each city individually, or was it one big package?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: BAEC silver, CX gold, FB ivory
Moomba

It's great to see that the moderater of my favourite forum can produce trip reports up there with the best of them. I really enjoyed it and am impressed by what you managed to eat. Trying mopani worm caterpillars in Zimbabwe many years ago has put me off insect based foods for good!

Thanks again for all the effort

zanskar
Old Jun 12, 2013, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
I've just now had the time to read the full report. Moomba, what a spectacular and epic report. Your amazing pics make me feel like I've now been to Vietnam and Cambodia. But the food pics!! Outstanding. You are way more adventuresome than me in the food department.

I know how much time goes into these report. And this is truly one of the best. Thanks so much for taking the time to share.
Thanks a lot for the praise SFO777

Originally Posted by dat4life
Thanks for the excellent report, Moomba. Good thing it's now close to lunch time here in the States

For your tours, did you book one package for each city individually, or was it one big package?
Thanks dat4life

It was all included in the tour. Details here.

Originally Posted by zanskar
Moomba

It's great to see that the moderater of my favourite forum can produce trip reports up there with the best of them. I really enjoyed it and am impressed by what you managed to eat. Trying mopani worm caterpillars in Zimbabwe many years ago has put me off insect based foods for good!

Thanks again for all the effort

zanskar
Thanks zanskar. I was a report writer before taking on the mod role.

Surprisingly there was nothing overly offensive, taste wise, in anything we had on the tour. Well maybe the shrimp paste sauce on the jellyfish was the exception.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 3:13 pm
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
I've just read this TR over a few hours and wow! Just wow!

The photos are amazing, the food, although the look of some of it almost turned my stomach - well done for eating some pretty disgusting sounding food - but most of the photos of the meals you cooked & ate looked incredible, such good photos I could almost taste it.

I've never fancied visiting Vietnam or Cambodia, I might change my mind now and KL looks like I expected it to and it's on my list of places to visit in the future.

Thank you so much for this TR, the time & effort spent putting this together is really appreciated. I love a TR that brings everything to life with so much clarity.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Absolutely brilliant!! thank you for taking me through your journey. What an amazing trip. The amount of street foods you managed to sample and the tasty meals. I am in awe. If you don't mind me asking, how much does a tour like this cost approximately? Thank you again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.