Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend trip to Tokyo and Singapore, featuring Kyo Kaiseki on CX and SQ

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Weekend trip to Tokyo and Singapore, featuring Kyo Kaiseki on CX and SQ

This is my first trip report after more than 5 years. Hopefully, you guys will enjoy it

The purpose of this trip was basically to burn my Asia Miles and KF miles; and to compare the F-seats (as well as Kyo Kaiseki meals) on CX and SQ.

My routing is as follows:
4 April - HKG-NRT on CX520
4 April - NRT-SIN on SQ11
7 April - SIN-HKG on SQ2

It was a public holiday on 4 April (Ching Ming Festival) and HKIA was reasonably crowded with people going for short weekend hops.

CX's First Class Check-In Zone:

It was mentioned in the CX website that they had revamped the FC check-in zone but there was not any noticeable difference from my last experience (to BKK in July 2011), except perhaps for more check-in counters

Right after clearing immigration, it's time to visit the Wing, which had also been renovated

Inside the Wing:

Featuring Solus chairs:

The Haven Bar and Menu:

Last edited by MilesBuzz; Apr 17, 2013 at 6:13 pm
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Inside the Cabanas:

The Haven:
The breakfast menu, with catering by the Peninsula

Buffet zone

I ordered Eggs Benedict with Ham

Last edited by MilesBuzz; Apr 17, 2013 at 6:13 pm
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

My flight was supposed to be departing at 10:35am but it was delayed by 1 hr and 5 mins due to flight rotation and late arrival. In fact, I received an SMS on my phone at around 6:30am when I was already on the way to HKIA (I took MTR and then Airport Express from my home).

The aircraft is already parked at Gate 63 when I walked down there from the Wing. It's a revamped Boeing 747-400 with the Premium Economy Class.

As the aircraft configuration had changed, the gate agents were busy re-printing and sorting out boarding passes for the Economy class passengers.

The F-cabin inside Boeing 744 only has 9 seats and the load on that morning was 3/9.

I changed my seat to Suite 2K.

The plush CX F-seat with its functions:

Full bed mode:

Last edited by MilesBuzz; Apr 17, 2013 at 6:14 pm
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

The Main Event - Kyo Kaiseki on CX F

This was what I had been waiting for....savoring the Kaiseki meal on CX F, which I believe is only available on HKG-NRT or HKG-HND route (correct me if I am wrong).

Champagne
Amour De Deutz Blanc de Blancs 2005 (no Krug on regional F flights)

Signature Drinks
Pacific Sunrise
A refreshing combination of champagne and Drambuie with the zest of orange and lemon

Japanese Meal
Cathay Pacific is pleased to offer a seasonal Japanese meal in traditional Kaiseki style, as an alternative choice.

Canapes
Fish cake with seaweed and sea urchin, braised lightning baby squid, soaked live shrimp, sea eel roll

Appetizer
Sliced salmon belly, mackarel tataki style, sillago fillet skinless served with Choya Plum Liquer

The Choya drink was heavenly and I actually ordered one more glass!

Braised Dish with Clear Soup
Braised bamboo shoot, boiled sea beam roe
Clear soup with egg curd and kinome

Main Course
Side Dish
Japanese glass shrimp, ark shell meat and boiled japanese cockle

Noodle
Cherry blooms noodle and white buckwheat noodle

Hot Dish
Steamed sea bass with sake, pan-fried scallop and broiled shrimp with salt

Rice served with assorted pickles and miso soup

Fruit
Fresh seasonal fruit

Tea and Coffee with Pralines

Overall, the Kaiseki meal on CX was indeed delicious and very filling! In fact, I will rate it as above SQ's Kaiseki which I will describe in a later post. The service was top-notch as usual for CX F and the Japanese lady purser was very attentive to every request I had. It was also better than the SQ F on HKG-SIN route which I flied on yesterday.

I will probably fly on HKG-NRT again on CX F in June to do some shopping in the NRT Duty-Free as prices are very very reasonable due to the low yen lately!

Last edited by MilesBuzz; Apr 17, 2013 at 6:14 pm
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Very nice pictures, I hope you enjoy blossom trees while you're in Japan. One noob question question, the picture with the champagne it seem like something is in the drink that look like ginseng root(?) lol what is that?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA, Hilton
Originally Posted by flyer89
One noob question question, the picture with the champagne it seem like something is in the drink that look like ginseng root(?) lol what is that?
or, squid legs (geso) ?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer89
Very nice pictures, I hope you enjoy blossom trees while you're in Japan. One noob question question, the picture with the champagne it seem like something is in the drink that look like ginseng root(?) lol what is that?
I was only transiting in Tokyo, so, I didn't go out of NRT.

As for the thing inside the champagne, it's actually orange peel
Old Apr 8, 2013, 4:19 am

Programs: CX DM
Thank you for the lovely CX F report ! A great visual read !

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
which I believe is only available on HKG-NRT or HKG-HND route
I believe it's also available on the KIX route on days when F service is offered !
Old Apr 8, 2013, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
I was only transiting in Tokyo
Old Apr 8, 2013, 4:33 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by marcuslai
I believe it's also available on the KIX route on days when F service is offered !
Indeed it is offered on the KIX flights. In fact I had exactly the same meal 3 years ago on a HKG-KIX. I didn't realise CX recycled their Kaiseki menus.

Some photos of mine here. The plates of food look almost identical.

Nice report MilesBuzz
Old Apr 8, 2013, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Moomba
I didn't realise CX recycled their Kaiseki menus.
Indeed, the kaiseki menu is rather repetitive on CX. This photo below from a 2005 flight to NRT. The water glass may be the only thing that's been updated. Well and the seat. Hehe.

Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marcuslai
Thank you for the lovely CX F report ! A great visual read !
Thank you I am glad you enjoyed the photos.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moomba
Indeed it is offered on the KIX flights. In fact I had exactly the same meal 3 years ago on a HKG-KIX. I didn't realise CX recycled their Kaiseki menus.

Nice report MilesBuzz
Thanks Moomba I enjoyed reading yours too I didn't know that CX had the same Kaiseki meals from several years back

Have you tried SQ's Kaiseki? I am pretty sure JL/NH's Kaiseki will trump CX's.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 7:11 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Chilean Vina Maipo Sauvingon Blanc in the HKG First lounge???

I'd say that Cathay is cutting costs if it weren't for that fabulous Kyo Kaiseki meal.

I do believe that Vina Maipo is available at the big box wine merchant for $12 a bottle.

Otherwise the experience looks fabulous!! Especially that lounge- it looks super comfy.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:53 am
Original Poster

CX flights arrived in NRT Terminal 2, which I believed is a JL (and one-World) hub (correct me if I am wrong)? So, I had to transfer to Terminal 1 and that took quite a while.

I need to first clear security and then go to Gate 60 in Terminal 2, where a connecting bus will then transport me all the way to Gate 80 (still in Terminal 2), followed by Gate 28 and Gate 59 (where the SQ plane will be parked) in Terminal 1.

I waited for 5 mins and the bright-colored bus arrived to ferry me to Terminal 1.

The journey took around 10-15 mins and it was quite an experience as the bus whizzed through the tarmac and planes that were parked in both terminals.

Upon arriving in Gate 59, I had the option of going through these tunnels to the SQ gate:

or passing the Duty Free shops on the way:

I chose the second option (obviously) and ended up buying several boxes of the exotic-flavored Kit-Kats (which are very popular among Japanese themselves) and other souveniers for my wife:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.