Search

Virgin Upper Class to San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Atlantic red
Virgin Upper Class to San Francisco

San Fransisco – flyertalk
Hey guys and Girls this is my first trip report on this site so please be gentle with me!

In January I needed another holiday but due to work commitments and a credit card to pay off it wasn’t going to happen until March. Two things were definite: 1. Have to fly with Virgin Atlantic. I love their product and having flown in all 3 classes I’ve never had a bad flight. I had quite a few miles in the bank but wasn’t sure where to go. 2. It had to be somewhere in America. Boston and New York were done at the end of last year so those were off the list. LA you have to drive and I don’t have a license, Miami I don’t have flat mascular body to cope with the sun, so it was either San Francisco or Washington DC.

I had been to San Fran before but only in premium economy. Last time, I was in upper class coming back but I had to be downgraded due to the upper deck of the 747 crew contact not working. Never mind got a refund of miles as well as a bit of money.
The second option was Washington. I heard good things about this city and was intrigued to see what its like.
So the determining factor was the price of hotels. I generally stay 4 nights and use a budget of £100 ($155) per night. I looked at Washington first. The prices started at £450 ($698) upwards!! This was for March! 2 months away! I might be able to justify those prices as long as it was a 5* hotel or something but these were 3* upwards. No, looks like Washington is off the list.
Now to look at San Fransisco. Looked at hotels.com and found a hotel I used before at a really good deal. 4 nights for £333! ($516) That’s about £80 ($124) a night. Booked the hotel there and then and paid. A few weeks later it went down to £303 ($470) and today 16th feb it has gone down to £269 ($415)!!! Bargin or what. Even better I found the Virgin website £1 cheaper than hotels.com! So not only have I found a better deal I can get miles as well for my booking!!

So come February my ESTA had expired, passport was expiring towards the end of this year so sent off that to be renewed. I rang up the Virgin Flying Club helpline to find out prices and see how I could combine miles and money to book an upper class flight. I had a helpful lady on the other end of the line who had a bit of trouble with my booking but got a supervisor on the line and the guy was brilliant! Because of my downgrade last time they gave me even better deal than imagined! Well done VA!

Day of departure
So come the day of departure the flight was to leave at 11am. Woke up cursing the early departure at 5am! Then 5.15! Then 5.30! ok now it is time to get up!! Finish packing and make my way to the tube to Heathrow. As I’m approaching the station about 6.30 I see lots of people with luggage coming out. Ok surely this is not a good thing??!
As I get to the station someone asks: ‘How do I get to Heathrow?’
So I reply: ‘um tube??’
He replies: ‘Its not working all tubes are not going there’
I replied:’ So I said taxi cab down there or bus.’

With this, he said thanks and I LEGGED IT to the taxi office before the heads got there. Just as I did there was one cab just leaving and I hopped in. I was sharing with two guys and one lady. The two guys were very anxious about getting their flight as they had left it abit tight and was making not only me but also the lady and taxi driver nervous!
But credit where it is due the driver was in good spirits and helped us relax abit by making a few jokes. We arrived in good time about 6.50 and one guy legged it out and one of them decided to pick a fight over the price!! I said thanks to the Taxi guy and gave him a small tip. Now I had enough time since my flight isn’t until 11 so I could have got the Heathrow Connect but knowing my luck something else would have happened and I just wanted to get to the airport.

As I arrived to check in my bag I loved the fact that the check in area almost seems like a terminal within its own. The check in lady was lovely and friendly. I noted an American accent and we made small talk about how busy it was going to be and joked about calling in sick during the busy periods! She apologised about tearing up my home boarding pass and gave me a proper one instead.

‘Oh no’ I said ‘I love the proper ones! Its all part of the journey’.

She told me the boarding time and check the screens for the gate and if I wanted to take off the sticker from my passport then to do so once I boarded the plane. At that time of the morning was a refreshing surprise and set the tone for the rest of the journey. Had my last few cigs before heading up to security.

Now this is where Virgin excels. Their own private security channel. Just like BA have their white door for First lounge, Virgin have a white entrance for their upper class wing. All you have to do is place your boarding pass under the scanner and that magic doors open to reveal a mahogany floor and white walls which has a lovely feel of exclusiveness. Once through a nice 5 second walk to have my boarding pass checked and through a quiet single line security no hassle. One thing I don’t like is that there is no space to sort yourself out between BP check and security as the guy in front of me found out. I had to wait a good few minutes before everything was out of his pockets and yes sir same as America you do have to take your laptop out.
Quick and painless process over bought a few chocs and sweets for the plane in duty free and made my way up to the clubhouse.

Lounge
Now the Clubhouse is Virgin’s best asset EVER! I have never experienced BA lounges and am tempted to try Lufthansa’s first class terminal but for now I am very happy with the Clubhouse. Took the lift up and was warmly greeted by the lounge ANGEL! Yes that’s right she was an angel. Asked if I had been before, told me what time the boarding announcements were made and told me to enjoy my stay. Everytime I walk in I think wow what it must be like to work there. Walked in to a lovely quiet lounge, put my bags away and headed for the area behind the bar. Was seen very quickly and a bucks fizz was ordered. (too early for anything stronger!) (the lady did recommend the Virgin redhead which i tried later on.) Staff very friendly as always, top ups constant, always talking to me. Ordered the eggs Benedict with a side of sausage. Good quality food as always! Service was quick and as more people came in, still felt as if it is just you in the whole lounge! Went up to the deli bar, well stocked with cereals and fruit and salmon but nothing really appealed to me. Had a quick conversation about San Fran with my waiter and while chatting she recommended the Espresso Martini which is a normal martini but made with Khula and a shot of coffee with 3 beans of coffee on top. Another great drink to start your journey.

As I single traveller I hate having a big table to myself especially if it could be used for a bigger party. So once I was well refreshed I went for a walk about seeing the different areas and still impressed about the size, how well kept it is, the variety of chanels on the TV screen. Near by the concierge desk they are building a new wall which will be unveiled in the next few weeks. Went up to the Grey Goose bar and onto the rooftop to take some pics of the aircraft in the area. When I came down it had got a quite busy so I decided to sit at the bar for abit and had a lovely chat with the bar staff. Tried a glass of the English champagne, which is very tasty, smoother than the Lanson, which they have. I noticed they had Chase Marmalade vodka. I had this when I went to Bristol to see my grandmother and I loved it! So this was ordered with a glass of water and had a nice chat about San Fran, how busy the lounge was etc.

Before I knew it, my flight to San Francisco was called said my goodbyes and thank you's and made my way to gate 19 taking a quick photos of my lovely bird flying me 5000 miles across the world.
The gate was busy as boarding had just started. BP was scanned and a cheerful member of staff told me to enjoy my flight. The strange thing happened. The GA gave the WHOLE BP back. Generally they keep the bigger bit but not this time. (also happened on way back.) From lounge to getting on the aircraft was 10 minutes!

On Board
At the door was directed to my seat and as I settled in a crewmember asked what drink I would like. Champagne did you say?!! YES PLEASE!! Seat in good condition as I’ve always experienced and with champagne in hand, sent my last texts to loved ones before turning off my phone and placing it in a logical place. Before long ground crew left and the doors were closed. Captain came on and said we had 303 Pax and 16 crew. Flight time of 10 hr 20 min Pushback more or less on time and headed straight for the southern runway. As with Heathrow there was a queue but it was very quick today. Within 15 mins we took off.

Inflight Service
Drinks service commenced about 10-15 mins after take off with a glass of champagne and a bowl of crisps. The IFE was working normally and started watching pitch perfect which is funny and a good film to start watching. Saw the captain talk to two gents who were travelling together a few seats down from me. Cabin crew came round asked what I would like for lunch. Table popped out and the crew set it up nicely.

The Menu is as follows:

Starter:
Smoked Duck
With green beans with pomegranate
vinaigrette

Carrot soup
With Zanzibar spices and yoghurt

Main course:
Asian Shin of Beef
With bok-choy and rice

Roast breast chicken
With cheese potatoes, courgettes and balsamic jus

Cheese and butternut squash tortellini
With pea shouts and pumpkin seeds

Dessert:
Chocolate shortbread
With Vanilla ice cream

Warm bread and butter pudding
With apple syrup

Cheese and port:
Red Leicester, Shropshire Blue and Cornish Brie

Wines
White:
Minervois Les Bonnes Blanc Chateau d’Agel 2012 (French)
Villa San Maurice Chardonnay 2011 (USA)
Berry’s New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc 2012 (New Zealand)

Red:
Pietas old Vines Selection 2011 (France)
Pulenta Corte Joven 2012 (Argentina)
Corliano Chianti Riserva (Italy)

I chose the duck for starters which was nice but the beans in my opinion were either raw or very under cooked. Nice and crunchy I suppose compared to being soggy and horrible.

For main course I went for the beef which was lovely and tender and well cooked nice and not overdone. For drinks I went with a very nice Chardonnay which went well with both dishes and refills were given.

For the desert went for the chocolate, which was very rich and heavy and sorry to all the chocoholics out there I didn’t finish it.
I saw the cheese trolley come round and yes I see peoples point but it does give the crew more chances to interact with passengers which really important to keep the continuality of the service flowing and makes it feel personal. I turned down the cheese as I as feeling v.full after lunch.

Plates were cleared quickly and I generally have a problem with putting the table back but not today! It fit back nicely and with a click!
After about 15 min after dinner, one of the crew ladies came and talked to me for abit which was a nice touch! I wish I could have stopped the film as we were having a great conversation about San Francisco. Anyway 20 mins later back to the film.

As it finished I sat at the bar and chatted to a guy who was travelling on business and was comparing Virgin to other airlines and all the different places he has been to. Had a really long conversation about Japan and Hong Kong. Cabin crew came round and topped up drinks helped in the conversation. After 45 minutes of chatting away retired to my seat for some music and abit of a snooze!

About 4/3.5 hours before landing I went to the bar and asked for a light bite as I was feeling abit peckish! Got the Burger and was really nice and filling.
Then about 1.5 hours afternoon tea got served and scones at any time and anywhere are a heavenly treat!.

A nice quick landing into San Fran and quick disembarkation. There was a passport check at the end of the jetty and an empty immigration hall where I was through the terminal in 30 mins!

Well done Virgin cant wait to fly back! ^
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:50 am

Well done. This is a very interesting trip report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.