Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To LCY in the Sky with *A

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Mon 30 Apr

Non-Australian flights counter check-in area.

Five kiosks for self-serve check-in for Australian flights stand tall against the wall of a very roomy check-in area.

The check-in process was pretty simple. Some people may complain on the fact that they have to help themselves in checking themselves in, but I don't really care too much, unless it's a tough itinerary. Others say it's a human interaction thing which is missing, but again I don't really mind. After finishing check-in and collecting my BP, I was guided over to the bag drop area where my bag was weighed carefully, tagged and then sent on its way. I grabbed an immigration form, filled it out, then proceeded to the lift to go upstairs to immigration through the priority lane.

Lift to the departures floor, leading to a special priority lane for NZ premium check-in users at immigration.

Immigration was cleared, well, quite easily, of course. It gives you some sense of satisfaction as you pass through priority immigration handling, then look to your left and see masses of crowds waiting to be attended to by the obviously insufficient open immigration desks (which is probably saying something more about AKL than about the benefits of priority services). Security screening was passed through easily, which is saying a bit because sometimes, for odd reasons, AKL I security screening can be rather picky about little things here or there.

The new layout with the duty free store - still positioned straight after security screening - was much better than the previous. A short walk from security screening and you get an immediate view and clear passage out to the rest of the terminal, whilst still achieving the aim of having the duty free store near security. It's so much better than the deceptive trickery adopted by Sydney and Melbourne-Tullamarine, with intricate twisting paths, confusing and obfuscating the exit pathway and putting any sort of bric-a-brac in the passages.

The new view just from security screening looking out to the rest of the terminal. A much clearer passage without the commercial trickery - very commendable.

Not sure I've ever seen another airport in the world use "Relax" as a flight status. It changes to "Panic!" when very close to departure. Alright, alright... I made that last part up.

The area beyond the duty free has been redesigned to be a lot more open air, rather than the rabbit warren that it seemed like before. There's a great area in the middle for sitting and relaxing, with a giant sprouting water-like curved structure with a constant image of fishes swimming by (like being in an aquarium).

The area beyond the duty free shops, with the giant curved structure with fish swimming by.

After having a look at the new AKL airside, it was up to the Koru Club to relax before the flight.

Emperor Lounge - a pay-per-use lounge at AKL.

A slightly more familiar door - entrance to the Qantas Club and First room, but not today.

Entrance to the NZ AKL I Koru Club.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Mon 30 Apr

The Koru Club at AKL I is naturally NZ's flagship international lounge, and being quite the size to suit it so. There is plenty of space to relax, lounge, work and even watch television. It's not too crowded, though there were quite a few people inside at the time occupying seats. Unlike the KC at SYD, there's less of a corporate feel to the lounge due to the lack of green lantern / lamp lights, and more a relaxed one with the use of green plants helped.

Cane chair, lounge settee or high bar chair - whichever way you work there's a spot for you in the NZ AKL I KC.

Entertainment area at the KC. Kind of low key, but a nice idea. Maybe they have feature presentations once in a while. Rugby, anyone?

If you're feeling tired, there's a couple of hammocks in the lounge at the back of the mobile phone free area.

You won't have a reason to go hungry at the Koru Club, with the buffet stocked with enough reasonable and comforting food to tide you over to your next flight. At the time I was there (mid-morning), there wasn't a lot of hot food on offer, except for soup. There was, however, some filled little wraps and plenty of pastries (scones, croissants). Barista coffee was also available on demand... made by a human, not a robot.

Say... you grazing here?

Koru Club buffet in the mid-morning. Plenty of morning tea like snacks available. No pavlovas though.

Koru Club bar. Just the standard stuff here.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Mon 30 Apr

After grabbing a bite to eat and checking up on the mail, I wanted a shower before boarding started. The shower area of the KC had undergone quite an improvement since I was last in this lounge. The tiling and colours had been given a facelift, and the shower and vanity fittings in the bathrooms had all been redone up. The black tile in the bathrooms was very glossy and shiny, though with subtle lighting so you can't see your reflection in the tile (which, depending on how body conscious or narcissistic you are, can be a good or a bad thing). The only key disadvantage of the changes compared to last time was that they had decided to remove the brand name shower amenities (which used to be in large pump bottles) and instead just put generic holders for soap, shampoo etc.. Don't know if they empty in name brand stuff into the holders or not, but it does remind you of a cheap-ish hotel that uses generic mass-supplied amenities (sometimes for all three of soap, conditioner and shampoo!).

Hallway to the shower rooms at the NZ AKL I KC.

Redone up shower rooms with black tile and sleek new fittings.

One long relaxing shower and a shave later, it was just about time to start boarding. I think the lounge calls boarding a little bit earlier, but seeing as the lounge is located quite far from the gates (especially if located at the furthest ones), it's not entirely unusual for them to call it early even if boarding hasn't commenced. I headed out of the KC and walked out to the farthest gate where a NZ 777-200 aircraft awaited to go to SYD.

Our 777-200 to SYD.

Flight: Air New Zealand NZ119 Auckland (Tamaki Makaurau / Akarana) (AKL I) - Sydney (SYD T1)
Depart: Sched 1245h; Actual 1253h
Duration: 3 h 30 min
Distance: 1,345 mi (2,165 km)
Aircraft: ZK-OKG Boeing 777-200
Class: Business Premier
Seat: 3A

Most of the flights between Australia and New Zealand would be operated with short haul equipment (e.g. the A320) which is all Economy seating. However, few of the flights are long haul connectors and thus use long haul aircraft with full product range, which is why I booked this specific flight for the Business Premier seating and service. Thankfully it was timed at a good time in the middle of the day!

Unlike the flight from PEK, as I stepped onto the aircraft and was warmly welcomed by the crew, having a look around I could tell that the Business section just wasn't going to be heavily occupied at all this flight. I assumed my seat at 3A and got settled in. One of the FAs working the Business class cabin, Tracy, happened by and offered me a take off drink, which I selected sparkling water.

Good ol' Business Premier product...

...with adequate, if slightly small-ish, leg room.

Sparkling water before the flight.

Boarding finished a bit later than expected, but after the doors were closed I looked around the Business cabin to find myself only one of four passengers in the cabin. Oddly enough, the other three passengers seemed to be older people (i.e. near retirement or past retirement age). Plenty of space for everyone to stretch out. Looks like the J FAs were going to have it easy for this mere 3 hour flight.

Push back and take off were pretty standard; with fine weather conditions and no impediments due to tarmac traffic, we were easily on our way and heading back towards Australia. Seat belt signs were switched off and the cabin crew sprang into action for lunch.

First things first, Tracy popped by and asked if I would like a drink before lunch. I asked for a Sauvignon Blanc, which was promptly offered along with a packet of cassava crisps.

Sauvignon Blanc and cassava crisps as pre-lunch refreshment.

Soon after, table cloths were laid out with lunch and the first course, which was a medley of seafood consisting of tuna, prawn and salmon. It was a nice entree in itself, but some of the subtler elements of the seafood seemed to be lost; for example, the sesame miso tuna just didn't seem to have that hint of sesame or miso in it.

The bread basket was promptly offered after the entree was set.

Entree of seared sesame miso tuna, coriander prawn and smoked salmon.

For the main course, originally I wanted to try the roasted chicken dish, however when Tracy came around to take main orders, she was most apologetic in informing me that it wasn't loaded (for some reason or another). So, I settle with the braised beef instead, which was a hearty and comforting meal, very much reminiscent of a good roast at the pub (in New Zealand, perhaps, due to the kumara rather than potato mash).

Braised beef casserole main.

After finishing the main, Tracy came around to solicit some feedback on my choice, given that there seemed to be no rush and she seemed rather embarrassed in not being able to supply my first choice. She then offered dessert and cheese, however I asked if it was OK if I were to have these just before landing rather than now, as I would've preferred a little nap instead. She was only to happy to do so and told me she would hold a dessert and cheese plate aside, then wake me about just over an hour before landing. My lunch tray was taken away and I put down the window shades, then reclined a little and nodded off. No need for the whole flat bed rigmarole here.......

I woke up a little time later (or so my body told me it felt like a little) and I had a look at my watch. What the - where did the time go? There was about 45 minutes left to landing. Rather coincidentally, Tracy passed by at that moment and asked whether I would like my dessert and cheese now. As I answered in the affirmative - along with a white coffee to go with it - I asked her why she hadn't woken me up earlier. "You looked so peaceful there," was her reply. Oh well...

Dessert of ice cream with biscuits. Don't you think the spoon looks a bit like a little shovel?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Mon 30 Apr

I had a big date with a cheese plate. Jokes aside, it was a simple platter with two crackers in the packet.

The timing of the dessert and cheese probably worked out for the best as I just finished up as the cabin was being prepared for landing in SYD. Not much to say about the landing, though with plenty of time to prepare the landing just before the seat belt sign was turned on again, Tracy came around to thank me for flying Air New Zealand, and I thanked her for being such a great FA during the flight. Touch down in SYD, usual taxi to the gate and now I was back home. Almost.

Being a C Pier arrival, it was a longer walk to immigration than I was used to. Immigration was easily negotiated, and then there was the usual long wait for luggage to be delivered to the belt. Customs was a breeze - couple of questions and I was waved on my way - no fuss, no openings required.

And now for something completely different (with apologies to Monty Python), this would be my first trip where I would be transferring to a Virgin Australia domestic flight rather than a Qantas one. This means a new transfer facility, which is located on the other side of the arrivals hall relative to the Qantas transfer facility. The Virgin Australia facility is a bit different to the Qantas one. For one, it's not as big as the Qantas one, though with enough increase in patronage that could easily change. Also, unlike Qantas where domestic screening takes place at the transfer facility and then you are deposited at airside T3, with the Virgin facility, you are checked in at the transfer facility (and bags accepted), but you are not screened at the facility. Instead, you wait for the bus and are driven to the common departures drop off area at T2. From there, it's through the common security screening point, or for those privileged enough, the dedicated screening point at Virgin's premium entry.

Entrance to the Virgin Australia transfer facility at SYD T1 arrivals area.

The transfer area. I took the photo behind the wall so as not to arouse too much suspicion.

As I proceeded into the transfer facility, it was completely empty except for a few staff at the counters. There was not a noise except for some light gossip amongst the staff present. As I approached the counter, I was wondering who should be helping me out with check-in.

At check-in, the attendant looked at my booking for my flight leaving at 2000h and gave a bit of wry smile.

Attendant: "You've got quite a bit of time until your flight. Would you like an earlier flight?"
Me: "How much will it be?"
Attendant: "Nothing."
Me: "Well, I wouldn't mind, but hopefully there's a good seat on my next flight."

At this point, you're expecting me to write something like she said, "I think you'll like your new seat," and gives me a smile and a wink as she hands over my BP. Nope, sorry folks it didn't happen. I received my BP back for an earlier flight in about an hour or so, and for seat 5A. Eh, it'll do. In addition to a BP with luggage tag, I was given a little ticket for the bus. Apparently I'd have to be fronting up the money for the transfer if I didn't hand over the ticket.

As I waited for the transfer bus to arrive, more pax slowly joined me in waiting. The waiting area for the transfer bus is not very big - no bigger than a meeting room size or so - so I loathe to think what the area might look like at times when domestic transfers would be much busier. Especially if it took just as long for the bus to arrive, which was closer to half an hour.

The transfer bus to T2 arrives at the domestic transfer facility.

Once at T2, I head along the drop off zone to the premium entry, make my way inside (showing the appropriate status card and BP), pass security screening and end up at the back of the VA Lounge at T2. Easy-peasy.

I chose a location on the raised terrace nearest to the windows with a view of the tarmac and got out my laptop to address some last minute messages. I also gathered a bit from the buffet; the hot food was out, but it didn't look awfully appealing, as did most of the rest of the food on offer, which kind of looked a bit dead overall. Thank goodness I can always rely on a soy latte, panforte and pistachio biscotti. Besides, I was still rather full from lunch, and let's not even stop to think about the weekend just passed....

Buffet area at the VA Lounge at SYD T2.

The hot food selection for the day, which appeared to be some sort of Mexican concoction. Pretty heavy on the chickpeas. I sampled a tiny bit, and I can definitely say that it looks a lot better than it tasted!

There wasn't a lot of time until my domestic flight, which was kind of nice since now that I'm back to reality, I'd probably rather be getting home sooner rather than later. So the boarding call was heard, I packed up, and walked over to the gate for my final flight home.

Flight: Virgin Australia DJ965 Sydney (SYD T2) - Brisbane (BNE D)
Depart: Sched 1700h; Actual 1700h
Duration: 1 h 30 min
Distance: 467 mi (752 km)
Aircraft: VH-VOW "Jillaroo Blue" Boeing 737-800
Class: Economy
Seat: 5A
Seat Colour: Red

We didn't start actually boarding until about a few minutes after I arrived at the gate, so why we were called to boarding in the lounge rather early is beyond me, much less how did we managed to depart on time.

Leg room in 5A. After a few weeks of premium travel - bar Ryanair - this is a little bit of a humbling experience.

All of us finally boarded on the somewhat full flight, the doors were closed and we were pushed back.

Another VA aircraft at the gate next to us as we prepare for pushback.

As usual, we had to make the long taxi to the third runway, which is pretty standard for SYD-BNE flights. Once we were up in the air, the cabin service commenced. Flexi meals and refreshments were offered first, followed by the rest of the pax. I didn't want to buy anything, so I just asked for a cup of water. Couldn't say the same for my seat mates - they loaded up on the buy-on-board, and coughed up an equivalent... in cash, of course.

A cup of water - enough to tide me for this brief flight.

The flight would've been a fairly standard affair if only that we were not once again subject to the delaying tricks of BNE ATC. Guess they can't help the traffic, but these ATC delays are getting pretty annoying. Apart from that messing around, we landed at BNE without fuss. Upon disembarking into the terminal, there was a bit of a long wait for bags to get onto the belt, but when they started arriving, my bag appeared somewhere within the first 10-20 pieces or so, so there wasn't much waiting around. Folks were waiting to pick me up, then I was on my way home.

Three weeks away with two major events bridged by a bit of personal travel in between. Travelling in style definitely helps making the journey as well as the destination very pleasant. Some say that the journey is not all that important, and perhaps they are right. Maybe the difference between a trip where the destination only was great, versus one where the destination and the journey were great, is the difference between liking travel, and loving travel.

Hope you enjoyed reading this trip report!

Fin.

Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Post Menu: NZ119 AKL-SYD J (Mon 30 Apr 2012)

Air New Zealand NZ119 Business Premier Auckland - Sydney
Monday 30 April 2012

Lunch

To Begin

Trio of seared sesame miso tuna, coriander prawn and smoked salmon with karengo potato salad (karengo is a New Zealand seaweed) (created by Rex Morgan)

Mains

Braised beef casserole with golden kumara mash, confit garlic, thyme roasted red onion, button mushrooms and courgettes (created by Geoff Scott)

Pan roasted chicken stuffed with lentils, mousseline, with baked semolina and pecorino gnocchi, spinach and rocket (created by Peter Gordon)

Tea smoked salmon salad with garden greens, cherry tomatoes, papaya and mango tarragon and ginger dressing (created by Peter Gordon)

To Finish

Gourmet dessert of black Doris plum and creme fraiche and cookies and cream ice cream with crisp almond wafer

Cheese

Fine New Zealand cheese and preserved fruit

Hot Drinks

Freshley brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, jasmine green tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate

Drinks

Wine

Our wine list showcases some of the best wine New Zealand has to offer - from a country that celebrates its zealous passion for producing top quality wines.

The premium wine selection on board this flight has been chosen by our wine consultants: John Belsham of Foxes Island Wines, Kate Radburnd of CJ Pask Winery and Jim Harre, nationally recognised wine judge. The fine wines served on this flight have been chosen to complement today's menu style. Your crew will be happy to discuss the selection and help you choose wines to accompany your meal.

Spirits

Glenfiddich Malt Whisky

Chivas Regal Blended Whisky

Jack Daniel's Black Label

Gordons Gin

42Below Vodka

Courvoisier VSOP

Coruba Rum

Ron Bacardi Superior

Port and Liqueurs

Portuguese Port

Grand Marnier

Baileys Irish Cream

Beer

Steinlager Pure

Export Gold

Heineken

Low alcohol lager

Cold Drinks

Mineral water

Orange juice

Apple juice

Tomato juice

Cranberry juice

Pineapple juice

Cola

Lemonade

L&P

Tonic water

Ginger ale

Diet Cola

Diet lemonade
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: TK M&S, BAEC, EK
Thanks a lot. A very enjoyable read. I-m hoping to have a chance to stay at the Auckland Hilton one day.

What a frustrating transit experience at Beijing! I-ve made a mental note in case I have to do that one day.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Nice report! I just spent the past three evenings reading it. BTW, did the J lounge in FRA still have the paninni sandwich grill?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by michlflyer
Thanks a lot.
Thanks for reading!

Originally Posted by michlflyer
What a frustrating transit experience at Beijing! I-ve made a mental note in case I have to do that one day.
You'll be fine as long as (a) your onward is on Air China, or (b) you get an onward BP before you arrive at PEK.

To be honest, I thought this might be the same case when transiting at an airport where the onward carrier is not hubbed at that airport, and you arrive much earlier than the onward departure. But I also thought that a transit desk (which claims to be able to process a certain airline) should be able to take care of it at any time, as long as it is open.

Originally Posted by greg5
Nice report! I just spent the past three evenings reading it.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by greg5
BTW, did the J lounge in FRA still have the paninni sandwich grill?
Truth be told I didn't see one. This was April 2012. Normally I've got a keen eye for the hot food, but I don't recall seeing a sandwich grill. Would make for a nice snack, for sure.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 2:22 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by anat0l
Truth be told I didn't see one. This was April 2012. Normally I've got a keen eye for the hot food, but I don't recall seeing a sandwich grill. Would make for a nice snack, for sure.
In your shot of the FRA Business lounge it was in the right corner. Of course that was back in June 2009. The quality of LH's Business service went in free fall after that. Though the FA's were always pleasant enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.