Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To LCY in the Sky with *A

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Tue 24 Apr, Wed 25 Apr

The main reason I had booked LCY-FRA-ZRH rather than LCY-ZRH direct was really to experience the FRA FCT. Since my connecting flight from ZRH to PEK would be departing at around the middle of the day, in order to get FCT, I could've tried to take the earliest flight I could to the FCT, then from FRA onto ZRH then onward again. I thought that this would be a bit too much in one day, is slightly risky and also made it a bit more difficult to justify if I wanted to book this multi-leg with US DM. That's why I decided to put a 'day' break between the legs. It appears I have a "stopover", but as the time between my arriving in and departing from FRA was less than 24 hours, it was regarded as a "transit".

As a funny consequence of attempting to install a longer "break" than a usual short transit in my itinerary, I think I may have unintentionally escaped paying the highest rate of APD due to the US DM agent accidentally marking FRA as a stopover rather than a transit (so I only paid the smallest amount). I wondered why my taxes were rather low .

Another reason, as it fortunately turned out, to stop in FRA was to visit servus, who I had met at Prague Do 2011. servus had said that if I passed through FRA to drop him a line to have a chat. So I had an opportunity here. Accommodation in FRA is not so bad when you have PC points, with a few good options not only in cash (if you want to pay it), but also points.

Upon exiting the terminal at FRA, I followed the signs to the train station. I had to make a tiny purchase at the news agent (or whatever they call them in Europe) in order to break some change for the fare machine, but soon after I was on the S-Bahn platform headed to Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof (Hbf), a fairly short ride of about 15 minutes. Once at Hbf, I was up the escalators and soon met with with servus.

There are plenty of hotels near Hbf itself, but the Holiday Inn Express I had chosen was either a very long walk or a bus ride away. I found the instructions on the hotel's website, but finding the stop for bus route 37 around Hbf was a little challenging. Getting off at the right stop was a snap, since the bus has an electronic display inside which shows you the names of the next stops.

Accommodation: Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt Messe
Room: King Bed

Although Frankfurt itself is not a very big city, it was interesting to come this "far" out to find this property, not to mention it was a clear 10 minute ride by taxi (or 15 minutes by public transport) to its namesake attraction, Frankfurt Messe. Nevertheless, it was a points stay and at least a decent room guaranteed ready for tomorrow's early start. Probably should've stayed at the Holiday Inn Hbf, but there weren't any reward rooms left.

When I arrived at the HIX, the front counter was happy to check me in, but informed me that a room was not yet available. They advised a wait time of at least 30 minutes and asked if I didn't mind waiting. I asked servus if he didn't mind, and he said it was OK. They offered us a complimentary coffee or tea, so that wasn't so bad.

My room was ready pretty much within the expected time frame, so I went up to put my bag away before heading out.

Another day, another HIX, another standard room.

View from my window at the HIX Frankfurt Messe.

I'd already walked around and seen a bit of Frankfurt, so there wasn't a lot of sightseeing to be done. That said, Frankfurt is a wonderful place to have a stroll (most areas, anyway). I hadn't had anything to eat since breakfast on board, so we went to a little traditional German pub (I guess you could say), somewhere where you could enjoy a beer and a comfort meal. Just as well servus was with me, as I think I would've been a bit lost ordering here, being unable to speak German myself.

Inside a pub in Frankfurt.

We spent the afternoon and evening talking a lot about miles and status, mainly from the German point of view. Of course, what conversation about frequent flying in Germany could be incomplete without a discussion of the largest airline in the country, Lufthansa (and its FFP, Miles & More).

After the pub, as Frankfurt was putting on its best gloomy weather, we strolled out to one of the more trendier areas of Frankfurt, which had a Nespresso shop that we went into to have a cuppa.

Nespresso Boutique - a trendy way to spend an afternoon.

To round out the evening, we decided to visit an Italian restaurant to knock back a bottle or two. The area of the restaurant where we sat had a bar as well, where a few people were drinking and watching the football (soccer, of course). By the time we had consumed a couple of bottles and had a long talk about flying trips (both long and short, as well as normal and on the cheap), I thought it was time I got back to try and get some rest. servus and I got back to Hbf and I thanked him for showing me around for the day.

I made it to my room, slightly sloshed, but looking forward to tomorrow, even if it was going to be yet another early start!

Wednesday 25 April 2012

HIX Frankfurt Messe, viewed early in the morning.

Guten Morgen, Frankfurt. Es ist vier Uhr morgens und es ist Zeit für den Morgen Nachrichten. Aber natürlich gibt es keine Nachrichten, weil jeder noch zu Hause schlafend im Bett.

That's what the German radio apparently bleated out as I woke up in the morning. It said, "Good morning, Frankfurt. It's four o'clock in the morning and it's time for the morning news. But, of course, there is no news, because everyone is still at home asleep in bed."

Alright, alright... I made that all up. (And the idea came from The Simpsons).

Ed: If anyone can make up a more humorous German spiel, please step forward. By the way, does "German" and "humour" belong together at all?

Anyway, a quick freshen up and check of my packing and I was out the door. The extra night was useful for being able to double check my packing of bags and organise my cabin baggage for the next very long part of the journey to AKL. As I strode out the door, the morning air was still quite cool as I crossed the street to wait for the bus to Hbf. Who would've guessed that there were buses operating at this time of the morning (but no way I was going to walk to Hbf, at least I thought).

The bus arrived on time and I paid for my ticket to get to the airport (my German good enough to be understood for that!). Once at Hbf, it was a simple case of into the station and down another level to catch the usual S-Bahn to the airport.

Waiting for the S-Bahn to the airport at Frankfurt Hbf.

They say that the trains around Frankfurt can be notoriously late at times (rather contrary to the popular global opinion of German punctuality and efficiency), but this morning at least the train to the airport that I was catching was on time. Fifteen minutes later, the sky had begun to lighten up and we arrived at FRA Airport.

My itinerary had me flying on LX F today, which meant that according to the rules, I was allowed to use the FRA First Class Terminal (FCT). The FCT really is a great facility for Lufthansa's First Class passengers and HON Circle members. (Remember that any other passenger flying on another *A airline, even in F, is unable to access the FCT). Yes, you can always use the First Class Lounge inside the terminal instead of the dedicated terminal (which has similar access restrictions, and a pay spa that the FCT lacks), but given the conveniences of the FCT, I think it makes a more pleasant choice.

To access the FCT from the train station, you head towards the terminal and proceed to the arrivals level. The FCT can be walked to by road from the arrivals area (walk in the direction of the A wing of Terminal 1, i.e. the same direction as the outbound S-Bahn was heading when you arrived at the airport). It's less than 100 m walk to the FCT's lower level entrance, where you can take the lift up to the main reception area. Normally, the more grandeur way to enter would be to be driven or drive to the FCT, where a concierge will welcome you upon arrival and offer to take your bags and park your car / return your rental car. For most tourists, the more than adequate public transport system to and from FRA pretty much ensures that that particular arrival method doesn't usually happen.

A familiar friendly signage.

Entry to the lower level of the FCT, usually accessed if you are walking from the FRA terminal.

FCT reception area.

It probably comes to no surprise to anyone that the early morning is one of the busier times for the FCT, with many flying on Euro flights (i.e. lots of HON Circle members). It wasn't too busy, however, for an assistant to notice me quickly and help me out with check-in. He was probably a bit more puzzled than usual... after all, you don't get many requests from pax telling you that they are travelling to AKL (and that's if they actually know where AKL is!). An inspection of my itinerary always clears things up. BPs don't get processed there and then, but rather passport is examined and taken, checked bag is whisked away by porters and then pass through the dedicated security screening. Relax in the lounge and in the mean time, the staff behind the scenes take care of your BP before handing it back to you later with your passport.

My assistant was a little hesitant when he saw that I was going via PEK, and at first wanted to see proof that I had a Chinese visa. Luckily, I told him that I was merely transiting, and this seemed enough for him to be convinced that I was OK to be checked in.

Lounging area in the FCT.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Wed 25 Apr

Looking down a central grazing bench in the lounge, looking towards the entrance (from security screening) to the left and quiet area in the right background.

Lounge bar, sporting on the back wall the famous wall of Scotch.

As I wanted to get a shower in some time before my flight, I went straight to the bathroom attendant and put my name down for the bathroom with a bath tub in it. I was told that I'd be sought out and fetched when it was ready. So I decided to go back to the restaurant area to have some breakfast.

The last time I was at the FCT, the all-day selection was available, however this morning it would just be breakfast. Despite this, the selection was still quite generous and great quality as well. Maybe I should've elected to get a later flight so I could enjoy the all-day menu, but unfortunately my flight timings would not allow this.

Table set in the FCT restaurant, ready for breakfast.

Just as quickly as I was seated, a waiter came around to offer me some water - I selected still - then asked if I would like to order anything. I asked for the Asian breakfast selection and a glass of freshly squeezed kiwi and pineapple juice. Not too long after that, my assistant came back with my passport and boarding passes for FRA-ZRH and ZRH-PEK. My bag was successfully tagged all the way to AKL, but unfortunately he was unable to get my BP for PEK-AKL. I didn't think much of it at the time, as getting other BPs along the way is not a big deal, but little did I know that my lackadaisical attitude would come back to bite me later.

As I've reported before, not only does the FCT have a more than satisfactory a la carte selection (including breakfast), but also an extensive buffet selection, some mirroring the choices from the a la carte, but others not. Overall, it's a far cry from continental selection, and you definitely won't be hungry or disappointed!

Warm buffet selection for breakfast - all the familiar items here.

Cheese, cold meats, smoked salmon, vegetable crudities... all here.

You're covered if you've got a sweet tooth even early in the morning.

Brioche, brot or bread... no matter how you say it...

Dry foods selection, useful for building up your own muesli.

Cereals and yoghurt glasses.

A grandeur machine that slices fresh ham or prosciutto.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Wed 25 Apr

I took back a glass of muesli and yoghurt, which was berry nice (see what I did there? ). And who would've guessed that kiwi fruit and pineapple would be a pretty good combination?

Muesli glass and my half-drunk kiwi and pineapple juice.

My Asian breakfast arrived soon after. It presented quite nicely on the plate, though overall it was a rather average selection. The spring rolls looked like they had plenty of filling but it seemed that there was more air in the crispy skin than filling (which was completely vegetarian, which is not a big deal except that it was just cabbage, onion and a little bit of carrot). The biggest disappointment on the platter was the miso soup, which was way too salty. I know Asian (particularly Chinese) food can be quite salty to start with, but this was like drowning in the sea, and a miso soup should not even be close to this salty, even if you were to eat it with rice. A couple of sips and I had enough. The dim sum dumplings were quite good; definitely not straight-from-mass-packet made and quite tasty.

Asian breakfast selection from the a la carte menu - spring rolls, dim sum and miso soup.

To wash out that rather salty selection, I asked for a banana smoothie. It was interestingly served with a wedge of lime, which I initially thought was purely only for garnish, but actually a little bit of lime juice in with the sweet smoothie provides a nice balanced flavour.

Banana smoothie.

I was just about to finish off my banana smoothie when the bathroom attendant appeared and told me that my bathroom with bath tub was ready. Of the five bathrooms in the FCT, only one of them has a full sized bath tub. Having a soak in the morning with the FCT rubber ducky was a nice way to relax in the morning, particularly when sleep was rather lacking!

FCT bathroom with bath tub. The shower is just around the corner on the right of photo.

Selection of bath accessories in the FCT bathrooms.

Hello again, First Class Terminal rubber ducky!

I managed a nice decent soak in the warm bath water mixed in with a little bit of body soap and a generous sprinkling of bath salts (no, not the deadly drug!). Couldn't sit in it too long; not only because I was slowly but surely losing to a prune in a beauty contest, but because I had to get out fairly soon to make my flight. A quick wash off in the shower and I was changed and ready to go.

When I returned to the main lounge area, there was still a few minutes left before boarding, but no sooner had I got some milk and biscuits to nibble on, my assistant happened by and informed me that it was time to board.

Milk and some biscuit nibbles.

Flight: Swiss International Air Lines LX1069 Frankfurt am Main (Flughafen Frankfurt am Main) (FRA T1 / FCT) - Zurich (Flughafen Zürich) (ZRH)
Depart: Sched 0900h; Actual 0905h
Duration: 50 min
Distance: 177 mi (285 km)
Aircraft: HB-IJL "Pizol" Airbus A320-200
Class: Business
Seat: 1D

"Stairs or lift?" my assistant enquired. I opted for the stairs.

As we proceeded down to the waiting lobby, there were a couple of flights that were being arranged along with mine. Last time I was lucky to have a car all to myself, but this time there were three of us on LX1069 who were going to share one vehicle, so that's a full transport. Some of the frequent travelling pundits have said that you can get a car to yourself if you make a nice case (e.g. first time, birthday etc.), but I wasn't prepared to be so insistent.

Normally, if you have to clear immigration for your flight, your passport would be handed back to you by the passport control officers who are located in the lobby. However, since my flight was a Schengen flight, there was no immigration required (immigration exiting the Schengen zone is processed at the point of departure from the zone).

Transfer lobby on the lower level of the FCT, where pax are assigned to luxury cars to be driven to their flights.

Once the third pax on our flight arrived at the lobby, we were ushered outside to the waiting Benz.

A fleet of waiting luxury cars for transferring FCT pax to their flights.

Much activity outside as pax and their cabin baggage are loaded into the transfer cars.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Wed 25 Apr

Owing to the number of flights (especially Euro and German domestic flights) at FRA, there aren't enough gates with jetbridges for all aircraft, which means that there are several flights which are at remote stands, where pax are boarded by being bussed to the aircraft. Most of the flights which are bus gates are Euro or German domestic flights, with smaller aircraft.

Normally, this is a rather annoying arrangement, but for someone who is being chauffeured from the FCT, it's more like what you want. Being chauffeured to a jetbridge means that you're near the terminal proper, and then you are put into a lift up into the jetbridge and then onto the aircraft (or sometimes you are put into a lift up to the gate, where you board with everyone else). With a remote stand, not only do you get a longer, more scenic drive across the tarmac, but you also are guaranteed to board absolutely first (before the rest of the pax arrive by bus) in a very private jet like feeling.

Plane spotting on the FRA tarmac as we make our long scenic drive out to our LX aircraft.

Approaching our LX aircraft at the remote stand.

Out of the car and about to board "Pizol".

Upon arriving in front of our aircraft, the three of us got out of the car and retrieved our cabin baggage from the boot of the Benz. As we proceeded up the stairs, the purser was watching us ascend the stairs with a smile, ready to greet all of us warmly as we boarded the aircraft.

Business Class on Swiss Euro is the usual for Euro Business, i.e. it's standard Economy with a middle block. I selected the front row, which normally has a bulkhead limiting the pitch, but it wasn't all that bad, plus at least my left leg had as much pitch as it wanted.

Legroom in 1D.

In case you hadn't realised and understood the obvious...

As the remaining pax were on their way to the aircraft by bus, one of the FAs offered me a bottle of water and a moist towelette.

Bottle of water and a packet moist towelette.

Soon enough, before you could imitate C. Montgomery Burns and say, "Release the hounds," the rest of the pax had arrived and started to pour onto the aircraft. The aircraft ended up being fairly full, but still plenty of spare seats around. 1F ended up being occupied, so I didn't have a complete half-row to myself. Lots of suits and other business people on board... I think I was one of the very few who stood out as a tourist on board.

All of us were boarded, then the front door was closed and we were pushed back. Take off was pretty standard and we were off for our short flight to ZRH.

FRA-ZRH is considered a staple flight between two big hubs (as well as major business centres), and it's remarkably short. The conditions around the Swiss region towards ZRH can really mean a turbulent landing with plenty of wind.

LX manage to serve up a modest breakfast even for a flight as short as FRA-ZRH. Most would argue that this is a pathetic breakfast (well, Australians would anyway), but you have to remember that you don't have a lot of time to eat either! I believe that the crew had the ovens going just before take off, so once the seat belt signs were turned off, those croissants were ready to come out, piping hot and crispy. It's Europe, it's continental... overall, with a cup of tea or coffee (also served in the short time in the air!), it's a nice little breakfast and perfect for those who had just arrived at the airport and walked onto the aircraft.

Continental breakfast served in LX Euro J.

The trays were quickly handed out, followed by an offer of tea or coffee, and just as descent was beginning, the crew quickly cleared the trays. Not an easy feat, so my hat goes off to them. To make their job slightly easier this morning, we didn't seem to experience the usual rocking and wind beating that turbulence would bring about as we descended into ZRH. The crew packed up fairly quickly and took their places with less than ten minutes to touch down.

We had a smooth landing into ZRH, then a fairly easy taxi to the A wing of ZRH. Unlike my last sortie to ZRH, at least someone was at the gate ready this time to line up the jetbridge - no extra waiting!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Post Menu: Lufthansa FRA FCT (Wed 25 Apr 2012)

Lufthansa First Class Terminal Frankfurt am Main
Wednesday 25 April 2012

Breakfast - Buffet and a la Carte

Freshly squeezed fruit juices

Orange

Kiwi-Pineapple

Grapefruit

Carrot

Smoothies

Banana

Strawberry

Variety of different spreads

Fruits, yoghurts and cereals

Fresh fruits

Home made yoghurt

Home made muesli

Selection of cereals

Granola

Dried fruits and nuts

Banana chips

Apricots

Raisins

Cranberries

Figs

Dates

Almonds

Cashew

Wasabi bouls

Macadamias

Home made confitures, honey

Apricot

Raspberry

Strawberry

Blueberry

Orange

Nutella

Diet confiture

Honey

Ham, cheese

Smoked farmer ham

Bresaola

Salami a la Milano

Spanish fuet

"Mettwurst"

"Leberstreichwurst"

Gouda

Cottage

Philadelphia

Boursin with herbs

Pont l'Eveque

Scottish Smoked Salmon Loch Fyne

Horseradish cream

Cream cheese

Toast

Bagel

Butter, milk

Fresh farmer's butter

Salted butter

Yoghurt butter

Diet margarine

Fresh whole milk

Low fat milk

Lactose-free milk

Free range eggs

Scrambled eggs

Boiled eggs

Ham and eggs

Fried eggs

Omelette

Crispy bacon

Grilled ham

Sausages

Baked beans

Roasted potatoes

Asian breakfast

Spring rolls

Dim Sum

Miso soup

From the Do & Co bakery

White bread

Baguette

Tuscany style sour dough bread

Rolls

Ciabatta

Melba toast

Home made Demel-Brioche

Brown bread

Whole wheat bread

Pumpernickel

Finn Crisp

Toast

White or whole wheat toast

Freshly baked

Croissants

Selection of home made Danish pastries

Pancakes

Plain

Raisin

Red currant

Maple syrup

Coffee, tea, hot chocolate

American coffee

Espresso

Cappuccino

Cafe Latte

Wide choice of tea

Hot DEMEL Chocolate
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Post Menu: Lufthansa FRA FCT (Wed 25 Apr 2012)

Lufthansa First Class Terminal Frankfurt am Main
Wednesday 25 April 2012

Drinks

Water

Apollinaris (still or sparkling) (Germany)

Evian (still) (France)

Stattl. Fachingen (medium) (Germany)

Perrier (sparkling) (France)

San Pellegrino (sparkling) (Italy)

Voss (still or sparkling) (Norway)

Vöslauer (still or sparkling) (Austria)

Fruit Juices

Pineapple

Apple

Pear

Strawberry

Blackcurrant

Cherry

Mango-passionfruit

Tropical Fruit ("multivitamin")

Peach

Tomato

Mao Fruchtsaft
lemon grass, pomegranate, pomelo, mango, pineapple, or lychee

Fresh Juices

Orange

Grapefruit

Kiwi-pineapple

Carrot

Smoothies

Strawberry

Banana

Mango

Soft Drinks

Coca Cola

Coca Cola Light

Coca Cola Zero

Fanta

Sprite

Bitter Lemon

Ginger Ale

Tonic Water

Soda Water

Red Bull

Red Bull Sugar Free

Wellness Drinks

Carpe Diem

Kombucha

Kombucha Quitte

Kombucha Cranberry

Homemade Drinks

Limonade
Lime & lemon juice, sugar and soda

Ice Tea
Ceylon Orange Pokoe, sugar and lemon juice

Coffee

Espresso

Doppelter Espresso

Kleiner Brauner

Grosser Brauner

Verlängerter

Melange

Cappuccino

Latte Macchiato

Café Crème

Espresso Macchiato

Doppelter Espresso Macchiato

Einspänner

Irish Coffee

Ice Coffee

Coffee selection also available decaffeinated.

Hot Chocolate

Tea

Assam Bukhial Second Flush

Ceylon Orange Pekoe

Darjeeling Lingia First Flush

Earl Grey Imperior

English Breakfast

Five O’Clock Tea

Chai Tea

Decaffeinated Darjeeling

Formosa Oolong II

White Apricot Tea

China Lung Ching Green Tea

China Wujuan Jasmine

Green Tea Ginger-Lemon

Fruit Tea

Camomile

Fennel

Peppermint

Rooibos Caramel

Herbal Tea

Lemon Grass

Champagne and Prosecco

Prosecco “Brusole” Case Bianche (Valdobbiadene, Italy)

Champagne Taittinger Brut Reserve (Reims, France)

Champagne Taittinger “Rose” Brut (Reims, France)

Champagne Ruinart Brut (Reims, France)

Champagne Mandois Blanc de Blancs (France) (2004)

Champagne Bollinger Brut Special Cuvee (France)

White Wines

Weingut Robert Weil Trocken Riesling (Rheingau, Germany) (2010)

Van Volxem Saar Riesling (Saar, Germany) (2006)

Weingut F. X. Pichler Grüner Veltliner Smaragd (Wachau, Austria) (2007)

Mount Nelson Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand) (2009)

Calitera Sauvignon Blanc (Curicó Valley, Chile) (2007)

Jadot Chardonnay (Bourgogne, France) (2009)

Tenute Grandi & Gabana Pinot Grigio Doc (Friaul, Italy) (2009)

Marques de Riscal Verdejo Rueda Do (Rueda, Spain) (2009)

Red Wine

Marchese Antinori Chianti Classico D.O.C.G. (Toscana, Italy) (2006)

Tormaresca Neprica Puglia IGT (Apulien, Italy) (2009)

Bodegas San Pedro Rioja Vallobera Crianza Doca (Rioja, Spain) (2007)

Chateaux Senejac Bordeaux Cru Bourgeois Supérieur AOC (Medoc, France) (2008)

Rosemount Shiraz Diamond Label (Australia) (2008)

Leon Hillinger Blaufränkisch (Neusiedlersee, Austria) (2007)

Alexander von Essen Pinotage (Stellenbosch, South Africa) (2009)

Rose Wine

Re Manfredi Rosado IGT (Basilikata, Italy) (2008)

Dessert Wine

J. J. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Spätlese (Germany) (2007)

Kracher Beerenauslese (Austria) (2008)

Draft Beer

Becks (Bremen, Germany)

Radeberger (Dresden, Germany)

König Pilsner (Duisburg, Germany)

Bottled Beer

Budweiser (Czech Republic)

Carlsberg (Denmark)

Corona (Mexico)

Fosters (Australia)

Heineken (Netherlands)

Köstritzer (Germany)

Kronenbourg 1664 (France)

Ottakringer (Austria)

Warsteiner (Germany)

Sion Kölsch (Germany)

Wheat Beer

Franziskaner Hefe (Germany)

Franziskaner Kristall (Germany)

Franziskaner Dunkel (Germany)

Franziskaner Alkoholfrei (Germany)

Non-Alcoholic Beer

Clausthaler (Germany)

Apfelwein (Apple Wine)

Possmann (Germany)

Cider

Strongbow (UK)

Aperitif

Aperol

Campari

Martini Bitter

Ouzo No. 12

Pernod

Ricard

Digestif

Averna

Chartreuse 40%

Chartreuse 55%

Fernet Menta

Cynar

Fernet Branca

Nonino Amaro

Ramazzotti

Calvados

Chateau de Beuil VSOP

Pâpidoux Fine

Cognac

Camus Grand VSOP

Hennessy Fine de Cognac

Hennessy XO

Remy Martin Coeur de Cognac

Otard VSOP

Otard XO Gold

Armagnac

Château de Laubade XO

Brandy

Carlos Primero Solera Gran Reserva

Lepanto Solera Gran Reserva

Conde de Osborne Solera Gran Reserva

Osborne Veterano Solera

Vodka

Absolut (Wheat) (Sweden)

Absolut Citron (Wheat) (Sweden)

Absolut Mandarin (Wheat) (Sweden)

Finlandia (Barley) (Finland)

Green Mark (Wheat) (Russia)

Green Mark (Cedar Nut) (Russia)

Green Mark (Rye) (Russia)

Grey Goose (Wheat) (France)

Stolichnaya (Wheat) (Russia)

Gin

Beefeater (London Dry Gin 40% vol)

Bombay Sapphire (London Dry Gin 40% vol)

Gordon’s (London Dry Gin 37.5% vol)

Hendrick’s Gin (Scotland 44% vol)

Saffron Gin (France 40% vol)

Tanqueray (London Dry Gin 47.3% vol)

Whitley Neill (London Dry Gin 42% vol)

Sake

Shinzui (Die Quitessenz)

Zuikan Aigamo – Kame No O (Enten Sake)

Shiraume Ginjo – Umeshu (White Plum)

Shochu

Kouriyama Imo

Tequila

Camino Real Blanco

Don Julio (100% Agave Añejo)

Jose Cuervo (Especial blanco)

Jose Cuervo (Especial Gold)

Patron (100% Agave Silver)

Patron (100% Agave Añejo)

Grappa

Antinori (Tignanello)

Altesino (Grappa di Brunello)

Fontana Fredda (Grappa di Nebbiolo da Barolo)

Nonino (Grappa di Moscato)

Nonino (Vuisinar)

Poli (Sarpa Riserva)

Fruit Schnapps

Reisetbauer
apple, raspberry, elderflower, cherry, apricot, quince, pear, plum

Lantenhammer
apricot, rowan berry, yellow plum

Rum

Cartavio (12 Años)

Bacardi (Carta Blanca Rum)

Bacardi (Carta D’Oro Rum)

Bacardi (Carta Negra)

Bacardi (8 Años)

Havana Club (Blanco)

Havana Club (3 Años)

Havana Club (Añejo Especial)

Havana Club (Añejo 7 Años)

Myers’ (Dark Rum)

Pitú (Cachaça)

Pyrat (XO)

Zacapa (Centenario 23 Años)

El Dorado (21 years)

Saint-Etienne (VSOP)

Liqueur

Amaretto Disaronno

Baileys

Batida de Coco

Benedictine DOM

Chambord

Cointreau

Crème de Cassis

Drambuie

Grand Marnier

Kahlua

Lufthansa Cocktail

Malibu

Pepino Peach

Pimm’s No. 1

Heering Cherry Liqueur

Sambuca

Southern Comfort

Tia Maria

Sherry

Sandeman Dry Seco

Sandeman Medium Dry

Sandeman Rich Golden

Vermouth

Martini Extra Dry

Martini Bianco

Martini D’Oro

Martini Rosso

Noilly Prat Dry

Port Wine

Sandeman Tawny Porto

Sandeman White Porto

Warres’ 2000 Late Bottled Vintage

Whiskey

Blended Scotch

Ballantine’s Finest

Ballantine’s 12 years

Chivas Regal 12 years

Clan Campbell 12 years

Cutty Sark 6 years

Dewar’s White Label

Dimple 15 years

The Famous Grouse Finest

The Famous Grouse 12 years

The Famous Grouse 18 years

Glob Kitty

J & B

Johnnie Walker Red Label

Johnnie Walker 12 years Black Label

Johnnie Walker 18 years Gold Label

Johnnie Walker Blue Label

VAT 69 Finest

Scotch Single Malt Whisky

Speyside

Aberlour 10 years

Aberlour A’Bunadh Cask Strength

Balvenie 12 years Double Wood

Ferintosh 10 years

Glenfarclas 10 years

Glenfarclas 12 years

Glenfarclas 21 years

Glenfiddich 15 years

Glenfiddich 21 years

Glenlivet 12 years

Glenlivet 15 years

Glenluig 10 years

Knockando 12 years

Macallan 12 years

Macallan 18 years

Mortlach 15 years

Central Highlands

Dalwhinnie 15 years

Northern Highlands

Glenmorangie 10 years

Glenmorangie 18 years

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban

Glenmorangie Lasanta

Glenmorangie Nektar d’or

Eastern Highlands

Glen Garioch 15 years

Western Highlands

Oban 14 years

Lowlands

Glenkinchie 12 years

Kincaple 10 years

Campeltown

Springbank 15 years

Isle of Islay

Ardbeg 10 years

Ardbeg Uigedail Cask Strength

Caol Ila 12 years

Druichan Islay 10 years

Lagavulin 16 years

Laphroaig 10 years

Laphroaig 18 years

Isle of Mull

The Craignure 12 year

Isle of Orkney

Higland Park 12 years

Scapa 16 years

Isle of Skye

Talisker 10 years

Vatted Malt

Glen Grant

Johnnie Walker 15 years Green Label

Compass Box “Peat Monster”

We preferably serve our single malt selection with Scottish Highland “Royal Deeside Still Mineral Water”

Irish Blended Whiskey

Jameson 12 years

Kilbeggan

Paddy

Tullamore Dew

Irish Malt Whiskey

Bushmills 10 years

Connemara Peated

Locke’s 8 years

Tyrconnell Pure Pot Still

Bourbon Whiskey

Four Roses

Jim Beam

Jim Beam 8 years Black Label

Maker’s Mark

Wild Turkey 8 years

Woodford Reserve

Tennessee Whiskey

Jack Daniel’s Old No. 7

Jack Daniel’s Gentleman Jack

Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel

Canadian Whiskey

Canadian Club

Crown Royal

Old Canada

Exotic Whiskey

Suntory Yamazaki 12 years (Japan)

Milford 10 years (New Zealand)

Reisetbauer 7 years (Austria)

Robert Fleischmann Schwarzer Pirat 13 years single cask (Germany)

Lantenhammer Slyrs (Germany)

Cocktails

Champagne Cocktails

Mimosa
Champagne, orange juice

Bellini Cocktail
Champagne, white peach puree

Kir Royale
Champagne, Crème de Cassis

Ritz
Champagne, Otard XO, Cointreau, orange juice

Red Star
Champagne, Bacardi carta d’oro, Herring cherry liqueur, pineapple juice

Martini Cocktails

Martini Cocktail
Hendrick’s Gin, Noilly Prat, olive or lemon twist

Vodkatini
Grey Goose, Noilly Prat, 2 olives or lemon twist

Vesper (James Bond Martini)
Hendrick’s Gin, Grey Goose, Noilly Prat

French Martini
Grey Goose, Chambord, pineapple juice

Apple Martini
Daron Calvados, Martini bianco, Martini dry, apple juice

Delight
Bombay Gin, Martini bianco, Martini rosso, orange juice

Classic Cocktails

Daiquiri (available with fruit flavour or frozen)
Bacardi Carta Blanca, lime juice, sugar

Classic Margarita (available with fruit flavour or frozen)
Jose Cuervo Tequila, Cointreau, lime juice

Sours & Fizzes
Spirit of your choice, lemon juice, sugar, soda

Cuba Libre
Havana Club 3 years, limes, Coca Cola

Mai Tai
Myer’s Rum, Apricot Brandy, pineapple juice, lime juice, almond syrup

Mojito
Havana Club 3 years, limes, fresh mint, sugar, soda

Mojito Royal
Havana Club 7 years, limes, fresh mint, sugar, Champagne

Caipirina
Pitú, limes, brown sugar

Piña Colada
Myer’s Rum, coconut syrup, pineapple juice, cream

Long Island Iced Tea
Bombay Gin, Absolut Vodka, Triple Sec, Havana Club blanco, sugar syrup, lemon juice, Coke

Anytime Cocktails

Negroni
Hendrick’s Gin, Campari, Rosso Vermouth

Americano
Campari, Martini rosso, soda

Singapore Sling
Hendrick’s Gin, Herring Cherry Liqueur, DOM Benedictine, lemon juice, soda, pineapple juice

Bombay Crushed
Bombay Sapphire, kumquats, lime juice, sugar

Cosmopolitan
Absolut Citron, Cointreau, cranberry and lime juice

Sex on the Beach
Absolut Vodka, Pepino Peach, orange juice, cranberry juice

Bloody Mary
Absolut Vodka, tomato juice, lemon juice, spices

Swimming Pool
Absolut Vodka, Blue Caracao, Havana Club blanco, coconut syrup, cream, pineapple juice

Vanilla Sky
Licor 43, vanilla ice-cream, orange juice

Summer Breeze
Havana Club 7 years, limes, fresh mint, pomegranate pips, brown sugar, soda

Virgin Cocktails

Coconut Kiss
Grenadine, coconut syrup, cherry and pineapple juice, cream

Maradonna
Milk, mango syrup, passionfruit and mango juice

Fruit Punch
Orange juice, pineapple juice, cherry juice, lemon juice

Apple Cooler
Grenadine syrup, lemon juice, apple juice, bitter lemon

Refresher
Limes, fresh mint, brown sugar, ginger ale

Bottermelk Fresh
Lemon juice, yoghurt, vanilla ice-cream, mango juice
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Wed 25 Apr

Unlike in FRA and MUC with LH, I think LX don't have a meet-and-greet service for F pax when they touch down in ZRH, with the possible exception of (a) if you arrive into ZRH with LX F, or (b) you are a Miles & More HON Circle member. Nevertheless, ending up at the A gates is by no means far from the F Lounge, let alone unexplored territory for me.

Zurich Airport is quite a nice terminal. It looks quite industrial from one point of view (a la BKK), but the rest of the elements in the terminal help give it a very natural, Swiss look about it (perhaps the darker hallways of the shopping complexes away from the windows notwithstanding). Even if you couldn't access the lounges, the terminal would be quite a relaxing place to be IMO (except possibly the E gates).

Zurich Airport in the main terminal airside.

Now I didn't have as much time in connection at ZRH compared to the last time I was here, so as much as I didn't mind the turn in the terminal I wanted to get to the LX F Lounge as soon as possible. Not to mention that a slight lack of sleep was affecting me a bit, so I wanted to rest before I got on my flight to PEK.

Entrance to the LX F Lounge.

Once I was upstairs into the lounge, my BP was checked and I was welcomed in. Since I was tired and would like somewhere to rest for a while, I asked if there was a slumber area or the like. Slumber areas in Lufthansa group lounges aren't entirely unusual, and are usually quiet and/or dark areas where there are lounging chairs where one can stretch out and catch a couple of winks. At worst, I was prepared to find a corner of the F Lounge, curl up and sleep there. As it turns out, the LX F Lounge has day rooms! And... there was one free at the moment. I couldn't have been luckier.

The LX F Lounge Day Rooms are basically a small hotel room, with a standard shower and bathroom (like the other ones) adjoined to a small room with a simple bed and desk. The lounge attendant showed me to my Day Room, inquired on the time for a wake up call and showed me how to turn out the lights, then wished me well. This was pretty sweet.

In the bathroom, a set of Bvlgari amenities is available, whilst in the living area, you get a bottle of sparkling and still water, as well as a piece of Swiss' signature chocolate.

Living area of the LX F Day Room.

Bathroom area of the LX F Day Room.

Bvlgari amenities provided in the LX F bathroom.

I quickly got settled in and turned out the lights to have a nap. About an hour later I started to stir, and about a minute later I was further awoken by the wake up call from the lounge reception. The extra hour or so of sleep felt good; yes, I would've liked to have slept longer, but at least I was feeling a bit better for my next flight. And after a refreshing shower, no doubt that would also help greatly.

One interesting feature of the light control in the room is that it can be configured for different moods, similar to the light control in most airline cabins (e.g. light for an early morning, etc.).

The showers have good water pressure and of course a good supply of hot water. Shower over, got dressed and ready to face the world outside again. I exited the day room and flipped the sign at the entrance to "Cleaning Required", then proceeded back to the lounge proper which I was familiar with.

View of the E gates from the LX F Lounge.

Back in the main part of the lounge, I of course started to have a look at the buffet. LX are probably some of the most adventurous of airlines when it comes to flavour combinations in creating their best dishes. Interestingly, I would say that they often succeed in their venture, which is something because there are some quite strange combinations at times that - on face value - might put some people off. Whilst you could enjoy the usual traditional fare, LX provide some smaller dainty treats which are quite enjoyable. And, of course, there's plenty of sweet pastries and Lindt chocolate available. And Nespresso coffee.

Cold food selection at the LX F Lounge, where some of the best creations are. In the centre shelf from left to right, we have roast beef with peach-mustard relish, rice mousse with wild garlic, and seafood with aspic.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Wed 25 Apr

Dessert showcase - crumble cake with rhubarb, strawberry and basil shot, and tiramisu.

Looking down the rest of the buffet at the LX F Lounge.

Sparkling selection.

Sweets and cakes selection, appropriately positioned near the coffee machine.

Like it's larger Lufthansa-group cousin in FRA, the ZRH F Lounge has a small sit down restaurant area. When I was last here, my flight was an evening flight, hence the dining selection was pre-flight dining. However this time, the menu was mostly small snacks.

I sat myself down at the bar, since all the tables in the small dining area were already taken. The bartender came along and offered me a drink, which I nominated for sparkling water. A quick look at the menu and I placed my order. Like most bars, there was a TV at the bar showing a football match.

Alcohol wait station in the LX F Lounge dining area.

A modest selection of alcohol at the LX F Lounge bar.

The first dish I ordered was the crispy prawns. A nice dish - crispy Panko crumbs on well cooked juicy prawns. The cucumber salad on the side was a nice accompaniment.

Crispy prawns with ginger-cucumber spaghetti and sesame emulsion.

I followed this 'starter' with a serving of potato tortilla. Quite flavoursome; as you can see from the picture, it was rather browned on top. Some people who prefer a much softer tortilla (i.e. similar to a quiche) might not like the slight crust on top, but I don't mind it. Maybe - just maybe - a touch salty.

Potato tortilla with chorizo and sour cream.

I had a brief inkling to try the dessert of elderflower mousse, but then I thought better of it for the flight and held off, instead resuming to sip on my sparkling water. I then retired back to the main lounge area to check a few messages before I returned to the front desk for my pre-arranged transfer.

Flight: Swiss International Air Lines LX196 Zurich (Flughafen Zürich) (ZRH) - Beijing Capital (北京首都国际机场) (PEK T3E)
Depart: Sched 1310h; Actual 1311h
Duration: 9 h 50 min
Distance: 4,966 mi (7,993 km)
Aircraft: HB-JML "Liestal" Airbus A340-300
Class: First
Seat: 1K

Unlike in FRA, most of the transfers from the F Lounge to gates are not exclusive, and are often in people mover vehicles (but quite nice ones at that), even if all pax in a single vehicle aren't actually on the same flight. In this case, there were three of us who had a flight at the E gates, so we all were ushered downstairs to the outbound security screening and small passport control area, where I obtained my passport stamp exiting the Schengen zone, then proceeded outside for our luxury transfer to the E gates.

Luxury transfer to the E gates at ZRH.

Once we arrived at the E gates, we were guided through to a lift where we were brought to the main concourse, after which we found our own way to our respective gates. When I arrived at my gate, I was very surprised to see that boarding had not actually started yet.

ZRH E pier concourse.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Wed 25 Apr

I waited around at my gate and was just slightly annoyed that I'd been whisked away from the F Lounge when it seems that there was at least another 15 minutes or so to boarding time, when it may have been more desirable not to disturb those in the F cabin anyway since they would hardly have any problems during the boarding process.

Gate E43, getting ready to board LX196.

Eventually, I heard the PA tone in ZRH sound, which actually sounded like the PA tone on the Vienna U-Bahn, i.e. that same, dark sounding low bell two-tone. In German, then English, then finally Mandarin, the boarding of LX196 was announced. Unlike the stereotypical Chinese style, boarding was fairly orderly, with people lining up correctly and not crowding and jockeying. The elite line (First, Business, Miles and More elites and Star Alliance Gold) was fairly short; not that it mattered since I was at the front of it.

Lonely LuXury

I was welcomed on board the aircraft and directed to the First Class section to the left. This LX service to Beijing was a fairly new route for the carrier. Initially on launch, it had been operated by a LX 333, which also had the new First product, which resembled LH's new F and looks more demi-suite like. However, when I booked this flight, this sector was marked to be operated by the older flagship 343 with the old First product. I would've tried for another destination that is operated by a 333, but there was no availability in F. When I later chatted to the First FAs, they told me that crewing issues had led to the equipment being changed to 343 rather than 333.

Despite the lack of new F product, the old F product suited me just fine, especially if the cabin was not going to be full. Many who have flown on TG old F are familiar with such an open F product, and may argue that this is not satisfactory for F at all. If anything, the LX old F seats are still really comfortable, which is a slight edge over TG old F. And then we're only talking about the seats.......

LX F cabin with old F product.

Small select bar area at the front of the F cabin (second shot taken later in the flight).

My LX F seat, 1K.

Legroom in 1K.

Anyway, back to the story. I got myself settled in and the chief FA for the First cabin, Richard, comes over to introduce himself. He offered me a pre-flight drink, and I selected Champagne, which was the LX staple Laurent-Perrier. The other FA working the First cabin appeared shortly afterwards with my Champagne and an amuse-bouche. Shortly after, an amenity kit and a sleeper suit were offered.

Pre-flight beverage of Champagne.

Pre-flight amuse-bouche of saffron fish and grissini.

LX F amenity kit and contents (shot taken after the flight).

As boarding seemed to reach the final stages, I looked around and noticed that I was the only pax so far in F. But.... like my TG flight earlier in this trip, I was not holding out to be completely alone yet, and my judgement was vindicated when one more pax entered the cabin and assumed the seat 1A. However, after he boarded, shortly after I heard that the front door was about to be closed. So there were only two of us in the eight person cabin. I'd say that's pretty good!

Push back followed not long afterwards, then it was a standard taxi to the runway and then take off from ZRH.

Ascending into the sky after take off from ZRH.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Wed 25 Apr

Flying above the mountains on our way to PEK.

Fairly soon after take off, the seat belt signs were turned off and the cabin was abuzz with activity. I decided to use this opportunity to get changed into my sleeper suit so I could be much more comfortable in the cabin. As I returned to my seat, I overheard from the other side of the cabin that the pax in 1A had a special meal for him (I think it was a kosher meal). This was interesting, as it meant - more than likely - that any of the other regular food for the rest of the cabin would only be for me. Well, there would definitely be no problem with running out of first choices this time!

Richard reappeared and asked if I would like an aperitif. I wanted to think about another glass of Champagne, but my mind was telling me not to go too far on the alcohol, so I eschewed this in favour of a simpler lemonade with lemon. He returned with my lemonade and also proceeded to set the table for lunch.

Table set for LX F lunch, with my pre-lunch drink of lemonade.

The bread basket, featuring a multi-component tear-apart bread roll.

IFE on the old LX F product is nothing to write home about at all. It's a very limited choice of programmes which would be good enough to keep someone at least entertained, but variety is a bit wanting. I kept the IFE on mainly just for the moving map programme, then kept my iPod handy nearby with some music playing.

Shortly afterwards, the entree card was wheeled out and I was very enthusiastically enquired as to my choice of entree. It was from here on in that I started to realise that Richard was a foodie and also had a great appreciation for wine. Like an excellent waiter at a fine restaurant, he offered recommendations for each of the different choices available, but then he took it to a new level: he offered me to try them all! I'd be taking this slowly... so first choice was the Balik salmon fillet, as well as the seafood salad of lobster, mussel and octopus.

Entree cart.

Who needs caviar in First Class when you can have filleted Balik salmon? This is truly one of the nicest pieces of smoked salmon that I've ever had in my life, including on the ground. The flesh was divine, the taste excellent and the addition of a little sour cream added a different dimension. I would've easily had so much more of this, but I knew there was more food coming, so I couldn't overextend myself.

Fillet of Balik salmon served with sour cream.

The seafood salad wasn't too bad. I'm a fan of both lobster and octopus, so that appealed to me. Lobster and coconut is a strange flavour combination, but it wasn't outwardly bad, if a bit of a sweet edge to it. I'd give it another go if I had the same dish on the ground.

Seafood salad - lobster ball with coconut, mussel and octopus.

As I was finishing the seafood salad, I was asked if I would like to try the other entrees. I have to admit I was splitting hairs between the seafood salad and the meat selection, so since it was offered I decided to try the cold cuts. Bresaola is interesting - quite air dry and intense flavour.

Ticino bresaola, San Pietro ham and salami, served with pickled vegetables.

No sooner had I finished the cold cuts, my opinion on the dish was sought, and then I was recommended that I try the soup! It sounded quite nice so I decided to give it a go. Was I going in over my head here?

White asparagus cream soup.

Richard must have been intrigued or caught on as he saw me photographing almost everything and even the food. He must have picked up that I was quite a keen traveller, which he seemed to enjoy encouraging as he brought over some extra presents - a Swiss plane soft toy, a Swiss jigsaw puzzle, an extra F amenity kit, an extra F sleeper suit (for my father), and a couple of J tin-box amenity kits, as well as an older style amenity kit bag! I was going to be hauling quite a bit through PEK transit!

As lunch proceeded, Richard returned regularly to talk about food, about life and about wine. It was great talking with him and he really enjoyed his job. My next culinary conquest was the main course for lunch. I had decided on the chicken breast, which was delicious. Perhaps my only criticism was that the breast was a little bit dry, and perhaps some extra sauce would've lifted it. The other choice of the lamb seemed a bit heavy and with sharp flavour combinations; it might have been a nice choice if I wasn't already sampling the entire entree selection.

Chicken breast with Maggia pepper sauce, polenta and spring vegetables.

Main course accompaniments, including one of my favourite choices, white asparagus.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Wed 25 Apr, Thu 26 Apr

My favourite cabin purser returned to talk about the chicken I'd had, and I'm so glad he didn't suggest sampling another main course! Instead, we decided to move onto the final courses of cheese and dessert. The standard procedure with LX when presenting the cheese course is to ask the passenger which cheeses they would like (from the list in the menu), and then prepare those cheeses on the plate. I really like cheese to sample rather than to pick and choose, so I asked if I could have just a tiny bit of each kind of cheese. Much obliged, a plate was returned with little bits of each cheese with accompaniments.

At this time I also asked for a glass of ice wine, a famous drop from Inniskillin of Niagara, Canada. Last time I flew LX F they had a lovely Sauternes on offer, but this time it would be the delicately sweet and fragrant Inniskillin.

Cheese selection with accompaniments; also served with grapes (not in picture).

Inniskillin Ice Wine from Niagara in Canada.

I enjoyed each of the cheeses, especially the Gruyere and the goats cheese. The citrus and ginger jam - at least that's what I thought it was, due to the kickback - was probably the only thing on the plate that I didn't like. Usually, this cheese plate is served as is without crackers or bread, but some basic crackers are available upon request. I guess the understanding is that cheese should be appreciated by itself and should speak without the floury crackers or bread getting in the way.

I really liked the ice wine, and Richard supported my liking by keeping my glass topped up. After the cheese, a choice of desserts was offered. Once again, I was having trouble splitting between the two choices, but eventually I decided on the Amaretti cake.

Amaretti cake with passionfruit mousse and raspberry ice cream.

Cake can be pretty boring, especially when you're expecting First Class cuisine, but this dessert with the cake was excellent - different tastes, textures, lovely almond flavour, a bit of meringue, the sweet but tart raspberry ice cream... it was a sweet exploration. I was relating a similar account of the dessert to Richard as he came by again.... and topped up my ice wine again! And of course, he recommended I try the gazpacho dessert as well! Normally gazpacho is a chilled tomato soup, so to hear of a strawberry and apple gazpacho, I didn't know what to think.

Strawberry and apple gazpacho with apple marshmallow and strawberry jelly.

The gazpacho reminded me of basically a sorbet, except a bit smoother and more liquid....it's probably more correct to describe it as puree, but sweeter, and with the addition of some pop rocks (that's what I thought it was - little bursts of sugary fizz). I have no idea how you make an apple marshmallow, i.e. a marshmallow that actually has natural apple flavour in it, not some cheap flavouring. It was actually a nicely refreshing dessert. Unlike the Amaretti cake, which was a showcase of the dessert spectrum, the gazpacho was relatively simple in flavours and textures. Both had their charm, however; both were very good desserts.

Richard and I continued to converse on food and wine. We talked quite a bit about airline cuisine.... it was a really enjoyable experience. I was almost afraid that the passenger in 1A was being neglected, but the other First FA had his needs covered, and it seemed that apart from his special meal, he didn't need too much other attention and kept mainly to himself. A final "course" of Nespresso coffee and Sprungli pralines was offered to finally round out the meal. Normally the box would be presented and one would take a couple of chocolates from the box, but the box was simply left on my table and told me to help myself to as many as I liked! A generous offer - but I was going to be lucky if I could get through two of them!

In addition, guess what Richard came back with along with the chocolate box and coffee? That's right - the bottle of Inniskillin! Another top up... I think I easily consumed at least half to two-thirds of the bottle by myself. I really didn't want to offend him, but I had to almost beg not to pour any more because I really didn't want to risk bringing it back up again!

Sprungli pralines and coffee.

After finally finishing my coffee, I would've continued talking a lot more, except I was also thinking about the flight length - it was only a shade under 10 hours, and I needed some sleep before I landed in PEK. I talked a bit longer whilst I let the food and alcohol settle down, then asked for my bed to be turned down whilst I went to the bathroom to brush up ready for bed. Whilst in the bathroom, I started breathing deep and slowly, trying to suppress any urges I had for that alcohol to come back up.

La Prairie accessories in the LX F bathroom.

Like last time I flew LX F, since there were spare seats in the cabin, I was able to have another seat (in this case, 2K) made up as a bed, leaving my original seat left as a "sitting" seat. The old F seats don't have a thick underlay unlike the new F product, but the seat was comfortable enough anyway, so I was happy.

My bed (taken later in the flight after waking up).

Thursday 26 April 2012

As I awoke from my slumber, I was glad to feel alright and not hung over in any way whatsoever. As I walked over to the bathroom to freshen up, I passed by the FAs again and greeted them. I returned back to my seat and just relaxed a bit whilst I was slowly waking up, taking a few sips of water as I went. It probably wasn't right to be awake at this time, as our scheduled arrival into PEK was 5 am... not chronologically ideal.

We were approaching a couple of hours before touch down, so the preparations were put into place to start the breakfast service.

First up was a berry smoothie and some water.

Berry smoothie and water.

This was followed up by the continental selection - yoghurts, muesli, cereals.... this was quickly followed up with a selection of bakery items.

Tray with various continental breakfast items.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Thu 26 Apr

My table set up for breakfast, with some bread (brioche, seed roll), Bircher muesli and fruits... and of course the usual morning cuppa.

The usual European continental fare continued with a plate of cheese and cold cuts.

Cheese and cold cuts.

The warm selection with LX varies all the time. There always seems to be a dish with eggs, then they also have limited warm accompaniments. Definitely the emphasis is placed more on the continental fare, with the warm food given a secondary regard. The egg dish this morning was eggs Benedict, so I thought I'd try that out. Frankly, for an onboard effort that's meant to be at a First Class level, I think you could not ask for a better Benedict - perfectly poached egg with runny yolk, the Hollandaise was a bit thicker than usual (so it didn't tend to run all over the plate), but it had the good taste of Hollandaise with it, and it was rich.

Eggs Benedict.

I proceeded through breakfast nice and slowly, so by the time I finished eating, we had less than an hour left before landing. One last coffee and it was time to get changed back into street clothes. All dressed and packed up, Richard happened by one last time before landing and we exchanged our final pleasantries before the final landing procedures had to be completed. A matter of about ten minutes later, we were descending into PEK and landed shortly after.

When I checked my watch, it seems that we had landed in PEK 20 minutes early - wow. I did a bit of a double take when our taxi from runway to gate seemed to drag on for ages. Given that it was barely 5 am in the morning, the sun wasn't out even a peep, and all you could see around was lighted terminal, a couple of people walking about, and several aircraft at gate with mostly the lights turned off. Well and truly after the purser had completed the landing and goodbye PA, we had gone around and around PEK until we finally reached our jetbridge at terminal 3E. Our 20 minute early mark from landing early in PEK had all but evaporated when we finally docked into gate.

As I was getting up and ready to disembark, Richard returned with one last gift. He said it should keep me in good stead for my long layover in PEK before my flight to AKL.

Richard's final gift: the rest of the Sprungli pralines from the box.

I couldn't have had a better flight. Swiss F was wonderful to start with, but the experience I had on this flight was just spectacular. And having Richard both as a First Class FA and someone who was great to talk with made the flight all that much better. Sure, Swiss doesn't have the "best" product, and certainly flying old F that was the case. But sometimes you don't need to have all the "best" to have a great experience; sometimes, it's not even the difference between a "B" grade and an "A" grade - it's the difference between an "A" and an "A+". This truly was one of the best flights I've ever had, and given now that LX F is even more difficult (read: impossible) to obtain via *A award, it's an experience I believe I'm going to miss and treasure at the same time.

Me with Richard and the other FA working the First Class cabin on my flight. I'm feeling quite ashamed and really annoyed at myself for forgetting the name of the other FA, since she was just as great as Richard and did a wonderful job working the cabin.

Baffled and BP Bamboozled in Beijing

As I entered PEK terminal for the first time, one thing I learned extremely quickly was that even though my ability to speak Mandarin was limited as it was already, there was absolutely (or almost) next to no way that I would be understood in Beijing! So, sticking to those who can speak English was probably a better idea.

Our aircraft from ZRH docked at the gate.

I moved towards the central concourse towards the arrivals area. I saw the International Transfers counter clearly signed, except there was no one there.

International transfer counter, with no one present. Not good.

I found the checkpoint near immigration for international transfer / transit, which would allow me to get back to the main airside concourse. Of course, I had no onward BP, but I offered my itinerary instead. Nope, not good enough. I would have to wait until the transfer desk opened to obtain a BP before I would be allowed to go back to airside through the transfer / transit checkpoint. Alternatively, I could go through arrivals to landside on a transit visa (or something like that - a temporary permission up to 24 hours). I decided to chance getting a BP. The first international transfer counter had an instruction to proceed to the other one on the other side of the concourse, so I went to this one hoping that I could get a BP.

No luck. There was a sign on this one saying that the counter would not open until 0630h. That's at least another hour or so. Great... so I have to sit nearby and twiddle my thumbs. The only form of entertainment or human activity was seeing some early morning flights arrive, and some people lining up at a special facility outside of immigration where people could somehow apply for last minute visas to enter China. PEK has no free internet (notwithstanding the Great Firewall of China), and there were no power points near my seated area, so this was far from ideal, especially at this time of the morning. I really wanted to just get to a lounge, have a shower and relax in a comfy seat.

My decision not to push for an onward BP to AKL when I was either in FRA or ZRH was now punishing me.

The other international transfer counter on the other end of the concourse...only open at 0630h. So the wait starts.

Whilst I was waiting, I did walk around a little bit, but I was still a bit tired, so dragging all my cabin baggage with me whilst walking around the otherwise boring area I was stuck in was not my idea of passing the time. This terminal of PEK looks quite modern and very big. All signs are in a minimum of two languages - English and Mandarin - though the English translation on some of the signs was a bit rough. They weren't necessarily incorrect or misspelt, but rather were long winded or unconventional. For example, near a drinking water station, the instructions said, "Please drop the cup into the ash bin", when it probably would have been easier just to say, "Please put cups in the bins" or something like that.

Most of the terminal is very sleek and clean. The public toilets were clean enough and appeared to be regularly serviced (for those not too familiar with toilets in China - or most parts of Asia - this frequency, in order to appease most Western minds, would be much more frequent than usual!), but they still looked quite dank and uninviting for some reason.

The smooth, glossy floors of the terminal provide a wonderful optical effect. Subtle lighting adorns the roof of the terminal, with natural light doing the rest.

Back to the story... 0630h finally came by. I saw a solitary person behind the international transfer counter. Once I got to the front, I finally asked if I could get my onward BP to AKL.

Attendant: "No... Air China only. Cannot give you boarding pass."
Me: "Why not? Can't you check me in?"
Attendant: "No, you must wait for Air New Zealand staff."
Me: "When will that happen?"
Attendant: "Not now. Maybe 3 hour before... so about 9 o'clock."
Me: "So you can't give me my boarding pass now?"
Attendant: "No, Air China only. And no Air New Zealand staff so cannot do anything."

My heart sunk. It was 0645h. So basically I can't check-in for my Air New Zealand flight until 3 hours before departure. Basically no better than if I had checked in like any other schlub who was currently landside. My first thoughts were that it seemed this whole Star Alliance thing was pretty weak, but then the more I thought about it, the more I was somewhat convinced that there really wasn't anything that the attendant could do. Whether this was right or not, there wasn't much I could do, so now what?

The only last resort I could think of was to go landside and see if Air New Zealand had a sales desk or service counter or the like, where they might be able to help me out. So I headed towards immigration and was directed to a special counter where my passport was specially stamped to show that I was only there in transit strictly, since I did not have a prearranged visa. My itinerary showing my onward flight appeared to suffice here.

PEK T3 is a huge terminal; one of the world's biggest, and 17% larger than LHR (that's all terminals, not just one of them!). There are three main zones named C, D and E. (A and B are omitted to avoid confusion with T1 and T2). The main terminal where all main control procedures are taken care of is T3C, which is also where all China domestic flights leave. T3E is purely for international operations, and T3D was the Olympic charter terminal.

The three main zones of PEK T3 are linked by an automated people mover, which reduces an approximate distance of 2 km to about a 2 minute ride.

On board the automated people mover from T3E to T3C, on the way to arrivals.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Post Menu: Swiss ZRH F Lounge (Wed 25 Apr 2012)

Swiss International Air Lines First Class and HON Circle Lounge Zurich
Wednesday 25 April 2012

Snack Menu

Starters

Beef Tartar with capers

Crispy prawns with ginger-cucumber spaghetti's and sesame emulsion

Wild garlic soup

Gazpacho

Main Courses

Caesar salad

Penne with pesto

Potato tortilla with chorizo and sour cream

Club sandwich with chicken or roast beef

Salad with papaya and chilli dressing

Salmon and cream cheese toast

Desserts

Elderflower mousse with ice cream
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Post Menu: LX196 ZRH-PEK F (Wed 25 Apr 2012 / Thu 26 Apr 2012)

Swiss International Air Lines LX196 First Class Zurich - Beijing Capital
Wednesday 25 April 2012 / Thursday 26 April 2012

Lunch

(F) - Created by featured chef Frank Oerthle, Hotel Villa Castagnola, Ticino, Switzerland
(H) - Designed by Hiltl, Zurich's vegetarian restaurant since 1898

First Course

Fillet of Balik salmon

Lobster coconut ball with a salad of mussel and octopus (F)

Selection of Ticino bresaola, San Pietro ham and salami

Soya marinated tofu with potato confit (F)
Cherry tomato and lemon ricotta

White asparagus cream soup

Baby leaves with dried apricots and Sbrinz cheese shavings

Main Course

Loin of lamb with Taggia olive crust, Formaggini cheese (F)
Rosemary potatoes, beans with raisins

Corn-fed chicken breast with Maggia pepper sauce (F)
Polenta and spring vegetables

Pan-fried sea bass, cavatelli pasta with basil (F)
Stuffed artichokes

Tagliatelle with creamy morel cognac sauce (H)
Green asparagus

Cheese

Selection of Swiss artisan cheese
  • Le Gruyere AOC - Selection Rolf Beeler
  • Ticino Mutschli
  • Formaggini di Capra
  • Valle Maggia
  • Gorello

Dessert

Amaretti cake with passionfruit mousse (F)
Raspberry ice cream

Strawberry apple gazpacho
Apple marshmallow, strawberry jelly

Sprungli pralines

Espresso and a selection of coffees and teas

In the Morning (Swiss Breakfast)

Assortment of breakfast breads, preserves and honey

Fresh fruits, yoghurts, muesli and cereals

Choice of egg dishes, cold cuts and cheese

Coffee, tea and juices

Wine List

Champagne

Laurent-Perrier Grand Siecle (50% Chardonnay, 50% Pinot Noir)
Champagne, France

White Wine

Vinattieri Bianco del Ticino DOC 2010 (Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay)
Ligornetto, Ticino, Switzerland

Herdade de Esporão Reserva Private Selection Reguengos DOC 2010 (Antão Vac, Marsanne, Rousanne)
Reguengos de Monsaraz, Alentejo, Portugal

William Fèvre Chablis 1er Cru Mont de Milieu 2009 (Chardonnay)
Chablis, Burgundy, France

Red Wine

Agrioro SA Casimiro Svizzera Italiana IGT 2009 (Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Arinarnoa, Petit Verdot)
Arzo, Ticino, Switzerland

Quinta Nova Reserva Douro DOC 2008 (Touriga Nacional, Tinta Roriz, Touriga Franca, Tinta Amarela)
Covas do Douro, Douro, Portugal

La Chapelle de la Mission Haut-Brion Pessac-Léognan AOC 2007 (64% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Cabernet Franc)
Pessac-Léognan, Bordeaux, France

Dessert Wine

Inniskillin Icewine Vidal Oak Aged 2006 (Vidal)
Niagara-on-the-lake, Ontario, Canada

Port

Symington Family Estates Graham's Tawny 20 years (Touriga Nacional, Touriga Francesa, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cao)
Douro, Portugal

Beverages

Beers

Appenzeller Quöllfrisch

Heineken

Cardinal Sans Alcool < 0.5%

Aperitifs

Sherry La Guita

Campari

Bacardi White Rum

Bombay Sapphire Gin

Grey Goose Vodka

Liqueurs and Digestifs

Single Malt Whiskey
The Macallan Fine Oak 18 years

Blended Scotch Whiskey
Chivas Regal 18 years

Cognac
Remy Martin XO Excellence A.O.C. Grande Champagne

Grappa di Moscato Monovitigno Nonino

Zuger Kirsch 1995 Etter

Williams Etter

Baileys Irish Cream

Soft Drinks

Still water

Sparkling water

Tonic water

Coke

Diet Coke

Sprite

Juices

Orange juice

Apple juice

Pink grapefruit juice

Tomato juice

Tea Selection from Sirocco

Purple Breeze Organic Darjeeling

Gentle Blue Organic Earl Grey

Ceylon Sunrise Organic

Rooibos Tangerine Organic

Japanese Sencha Organic

Moroccan Mint Organic

Verbena Organic

Camomile Orange Blossoms

Nespresso Selection

Ristretto

Espresso Leggero

Lungo Forte

Decaffeinato
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Thu 26 Apr

When I arrived at T3C, it was easy just to walk right through the large baggage reclaim hall and through customs as well, where no one was watching. The openness of the large terminal continued even out into the arrivals area. Arrows printed on the floor throughout the terminal helped people move in the correct direction... eventually.

PEK T3 arrivals level.

Awkward English again. People who are used to buying electronics and reading an instruction manual obviously translated from Chinese can relate similarly.

The terminal and its 'accessories' was quite interesting. It was as if all the feature exhibits (so to speak) were intended to punctuate the otherwise plain airport landscape. Nothing was really worked into the terminal features itself. It's a bit like randomly placing a flower vase anywhere in your home because there's an empty space there, without thinking about what flowers are in the vase, what the vase looks like and whether it actually looks good. In a way, BKK imitates this kind of 'design' IMO, though suffice to say PEK seems to appear much less "industrial" than BKK.

I had a bit of a look around the arrivals landside area, but of course I bored quickly of that and moved up to the departures level, which was absolutely huge. The height of the roof gave a very compelling illusion that it may not have been there, but instead it was stars sparkling in sunlight.

PEK T3 check-in area - absolutely huge.

Customer service counter. They are determined to make sure you are not lost here.

Another 'exhibit' in the middle of the check-in hall, exuding national pride.

I found the check-in area for Air New Zealand, and was feeling rather good when I saw the monitors showing NZ logos and also the lanes marked accordingly ready for check-in. NZ only have one service to and from PEK on a given day, which was operated by a 777-200 (i.e. not the newest 777-300ER series with newest product; and as of writing this TR, this service has been withdrawn), so I don't expect this counter to be necessarily ready to go at all times, but at least someone there for ticket support or the like.

NZ check-in area at PEK.

There was no one there. Not even a single person.

So, that was it. I was resigned to waiting for T-3 hours before departure until I could get a BP to be able to return to airside. No lounge, no shower, no relaxation until then. It was now just coming up to 0800h in the morning, which means I still had at least an hour to wait until check-in opens. Damn......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.