Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

CPH-DOH-BKK (QR/C), BKK-DPS (TG/C), Bali, DPS-SIN-LHR (SQ/F)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.

BACKGROUND

The background for this trip was the little glitch in SQ’s booking system that essentially removed capacity control for premium class redemptions during a couple of days last summer. I decided to try to book a New Year’s break tagged onto my Christmas break in Sweden (ensuring that I wouldn’t be stung with the horrid UK APD). I decided that Bali looked like a promising destination. united.com showed availability CPH-FRA-SIN-DPS and DPS-SIN-LHR in F. The former booking never confirmed, but the latter did (thanks to a helpful soul at the Mileage Plus award desk). For the outbound journey, I found availability on QR for CPH-DOH-BKK-DPS in C (the last leg on TG). I don’t remember whether it had been announced at the time that QR was leaving their partnership with UA, but either way, it seemed like an interesting opportunity to try them out. As it happens, events after my booking have meant me dumping UA as my main carrier for AA, and the announcement that QR are joining OW, so sampling this product became even more interesting after I made my booking.

CHECK-IN

Online check-in wasn’t available, I imagine because the last leg of my itinerary was on another carrier (TG). However, QR had their own spacious check-in area at CPH. The Business Class check-in counter had a mountain of bags on its belt and the attendant had gone somewhere else to seek assistance of some kind, so I went up to one of the Economy counters (where there was no queue anyway). The attendant was friendly and helpful, and even went out of her way to reprint my BP on C stock. This seems to be important on QR, which may be a bit OTT but, being used to US carriers who don’t give a damn about the cut of your boarding pass or your ticket jacket, it was quite refreshing in its way.

SECURITY

This was the first time I got to enjoy fast-track security at CPH (as SK make sure to deny access to *G members from other FFPs). It was quite refreshing to find that even security screeners at CPH could be polite and friendly, even wishing me a pleasant flight (usually, my only conversation with them is restricted to a shouting match when I insist on facing my belongings whilst getting frisked by some rude individual of indeterminate gender with unwashed hair who barks at me to turn around).

LOUNGE

Like most non-*A carriers at CPH, QR uses the Novia lounge with their Business Class compartment called CPH apartment. On balance, this part of the lounge isn’t all that bad. At least it’s very peaceful and spacious, and all I really wanted at this early hour was a cup of coffee and a Danish – and where else better to enjoy the latter than in Copenhagen? Their wireless connection (CPH Voucher) really sucked though – kept cutting out almost every minute. I managed to get online enough, however, to log into Expertflyer and note that QR had blocked the seat next to me on both my flights with them – a really nice touch and one that doesn’t cost the airline a penny to implement.

BOARDING AND CABIN

As usual, there were only two passport channels open and the queues were very long, although thankfully they moved swiftly. Neither here nor at the gate was there a fast-track channel, but the boarding call gave priority to C and I was the first to board. Although Y was reasonably full, there didn’t seem to be any OpUps on this flight, as only seven out of 30 seats were occupied.

I was welcomed warmly by the flight attendants, who seemed to be a diverse crowd – mostly female, some Arabic, some European, and a Thai national as the lead FA in C. They were all very welcoming, friendly and personable, and they seemed to have a lot of fun together in a way that enhanced rather than distracted from the onboard service. The CSD came up to introduce herself, and to enquire whether I was the kind of Doctor who would be able to assist in case of a medical emergency (I’m not, but it made sense to check beforehand).

The A330 cabin isn’t equipped with lie-flat seats, but was in great nick and spotlessly clean. The sight of the tray and drink tables made me laugh, because they reminded me of an old Doonesbury episode when Mark and somebody else (Mike?) are travelling on the Trump Shuttle (formerly the EA shuttle, now the US shuttle), and Mark bangs his knees against the tray table which turns out to be made of marble. I don’t know whether these were marble or not, but they were certainly made to look like it. Rather annoyingly (given that the seat next to me was empty), it stuck out three inches when stowed, and it was lying immediately on your lap in almost any seat position. The seat controls were a bit odd – there was a very long delay before anything happened when you pushed any of the preset modes. The angled lie-flat position was more comfortable than on AA (partially because I was able to grab the plush pillows from two surrounding seats) but still obviously not lie-flat. But with six new 30 Rock episodes on the IFE system, who cares? The IFE was generally very impressive, with lots of regional and classic movies.

I was immediately offered a pre-departure drink (champagne of course, poured from the bottle). They kept offering us refills literally until takeoff, but I declined a third one as the champagne was rather disappointing (see below).

QR’s safety video has an original touch. I guess owing to Arabic notions of modesty, there isn’t the usual display of a winsome lady demonstrating the safety features. Instead, the life jacket and whatnot are demonstrated by a gorgeous Arabic male model. Undoubtedly, this will have improved the attention of many of us who usually find it hard to pay attention to safety videos.

ROUTE

I was seated in an aisle seat in the middle section, and even though most window seats were available for a peek (the crew had lowered the shades), it was pretty cloudy for much of the journey anyway. We flew over some pretty interesting places – Lviv, Erbil, Basra. The general QR vibe also made me quite keen to visit Qatar one day – I’m quite intrigued about many of the things that the Sheikh and Sheikha Mozah are doing with this country, and I’d be much keener to experience Qatar than the Bling Kingdom to the East.

MAIN MEAL

tempting your palate
smoked salmon rösti
sauce gribiche

To commence
leek and potato soup
crispy leeks and bread sticks
an individual selection of smoked trout, salmon tartar and halibut
artichoke salad
classic arabic mezze
hummus, tabouleh and makdous
served with arabic bread

to follow
grilled sumac chicken with tomato and coriander salsa
onion, courgettes and grilled peppers with fennel side salad
dill marinated cray fish
steamed potatoes, butterbeans and grilled carrots with potato and artichoke salad
aloo gobo with bhindi masala
onion rice, dal and raita

on the side
main dishes are accompanied by your choice of condiments

cheese plate
a selection of local and international varieties
dried prunes, apricots and hazelnuts

sweet finale
plum cake with mascarpone
vanilla cream sauce
chocolate, mint and vanilla ice cream
seasonal berries
selection of seasonal fresh fruits

bakery basket
rye bread with pumpkin seeds, brown roll with toasted sesame seeds, crusty white and claystone roll

relax & unwind
cappuccino, espresso, café latte, macchiato, american, decaffeniated
early grey, english breakfast, green, roasted japanese, moroccan mint, camomile, sencha green, green jasmine

AFTERNOON TEA

a sweet trio
chocolate florentines
passion fruit mousse
chocolate cake

relax & unwind
cappuccino, espresso, café latte, macchiato, american, decaffeniated
early grey, english breakfast, green, roasted japanese, moroccan mint, camomile, sencha green, green jasmine

WINE

Champagne
Billecart-Salmon Brut NV
Bollinger Rosé NV

Chardonnay
Chartron et Trébuchet Meursault 2009

Sauvignon Blanc
Villa Maria Cellar Selection 2011

Riesling
Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Spätlese 2009

Meritage Merlot & Cabernet
Ch Le Bon Pasteur AC Pomerol 2007

Shiraz
Hollick Red Ridge 2008

Sangiovese
Poggio Antico Altero DOCG Brunello di Montalcino

Tawny Port
Kopke Colheita 1974

MEAL AND WINE NOTES

Orders were taken beforehand both for appetizers and mains, and (slightly oddly) for the drinks with every course. I fancied trying both the Arabic mezze and the salmon tartar, and this was not a problem.

The amuse bouche was delicious, but both the appetizers were underwhelming. The makdous was obviously made with tinned peppers, and frankly I make much better homous and tabouleh myself. The fish platter was fresh-tasting, but no great shakes either. However, the sumac chicken with side dishes was very tasty, and just tart enough to stand out at high altitude. I had the cheese plate, which was also underwhelming, and passed on the desserts. I appreciated the choice of tea and coffee, the “sweet trio” was OK but unmemorable.

Based on both tales from friends who had previously tried QR’s business class, and even the sample menu shown on their own website, I was expecting at least one vintage champagne, but was disappointed. Billecart-Salmon is serviceable, but really nothing to write home about, and whilst I know the rosé Bolly doesn’t exactly come cheap, it’s never done much for me. I presume this is a recent downgrade of the Business Class product, and a regrettable one. I tried the Mersault, which was dull, and two of the reds (the claret and the Australian shiraz), which were more enjoyable. Best of all was the 1974 Kopke, the most memorable experience that appeared on my table.

So in summary, the hard product was perfectly fine, and the food and wine were fine as well but not universally exciting. What I’ll probably remember the most (other than the port) was the superb, charming, and personal attention of the inflight crew. More to follow about my flights and about Bali, if it is of interest.

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Dec 29, 2012 at 9:55 am
Old Jan 1, 2013, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

DOH premium terminal

After landing at DOH, the small crowd in the C cabin were let out first to board a bus. After a stop at the immigration terminal for one passenger, the rest of us were delivered to the premium terminal. I browsed the duty free shop (I was interested in a watch from the inflight duty free shop that wasn't in stock on the aircraft, and a good value champagne bottle for New Year's Eve). Clearly, however, this duty free shop wasn't stocked to cater to the likes of me. There was a huge selection of high-value premium brand goods, and a tiny shelf with alcoholic beverages. I went upstairs and made use of the otherwise deserted business centre as I needed to scan a document.

The Business Class lounge didn't have any attendant or even a desk for one. I guess you don't need one so long as you man the door to the First Class lounge as everybody else in the terminal is entitled to use the C lounge. I wonder what happens if one needs to see a ticket agent though - I didn't spot one anywhere. After a browse around I stopped at the sushi bar. The QR website proudly displays a picture of a smiling sushi chef seemingly preparing sushi to order, but disappointingly, there was only a table with some slices of two different rather uninspiring rolls, which I sampled nonetheless (the tables were set with knives and forks and I had to ask the waiter for a chopstick). I then proceeded to the main restaurant area and sampled the dishes on offer there, which were OK (a rather nice beef Stroganoff). Then to the bar for a final drink before takeoff - the selection seemed to be exactly the same as on board. Unsurprisingly, there were no attendants in the terminal who looked native - most of them looked like they were from the Indian subcontinent.

Boarding downstairs at the designated bus gate for my flight was quick and efficient, and after a short wait the bus was on its way to the aircraft. I don't know if the new terminal at DOH will also be based on remote stands, but all in all the current QR solution seems to work well for premium passengers. So long as you get whisked quickly to and from the aircraft in a bus reserved for the front cabin, it's really much better than walking endlessly through a crowded terminal to find the lounge. It will be interesting to see what QR end up offering OW Sapphire and Emerald passengers travelling at the back of the bus once they've joined.

Next, DOH-BKK, and the return of the vintage champagne...

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Jan 1, 2013 at 6:47 pm
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Doh-bkk (qr/c)

This flight was on a 777 with proper lie-flat seats. The service director introduced herself, and like on the previous flight, the crew were excellent and friendly, although given it was a bigger cabin and almost full (the seat next time remained blocked, however), and a night flight, service was quite naturally less personal. Menus, amenity kits, and pyjamas were offered (I was only offered XL - whether that was a reflection of them having run out of the others, of my gender, or of their assessment of my size I don't know). It was comfortable, anyway. And upon ordering my pre-departure drink, I found that the vintage champagne was indeed back - not the LP listed on the website, but Lanson. This took me back several years to my first ever, entirely undeserved, OpUp - from NRT to CDG on AF, when the check-in agent exclaimed "It's your rucky day!", and I got to sample vintage champagne for the first time. I'd already encountered NV Lanson, and decided that I found it too lemony and acidic, and was taken aback by how much nicer the vintage version was. Several years and several vintages later, Lanson vintage and I met again, and whilst I now found it on the sour side for a vintage champagne, it's still perfectly drinkable.

Unfortunately, the menu was collected whilst I was sleeping like a baby, but it contained a number of signature dishes by Tom Aikens. The appetizer was a very tasty seafood trio - prawns, smoked salmon, and sashimi-grade sushi. I quite enjoyed a California chardonnay with this (I wish I remember which one). I didn't fancy the Aikens main - seared cod with celeriac mash - and went for another Arabic chicken dish, which turned out to be quite dull. The Aikens dessert, though, was - to borrow a phrase from Michael Winner (who thought I'd be missing his food reviews as much as I find myself doing?) historic. I wish I could remember what it was called (like Mr W, I should have used a dictaphone), as I can barely describe it - it just had everything in it, mousse, cake, and a lemon sorbet on top. Whilst enjoying this meal, I watched Vertigo for the umpteenth time, and fell asleep seconds after Kim Novak had thrown herself down the bell tower for the second time with Bernard Hermann's hyperromantic score accompanying my dreams.

Like most or all passengers, I slept through the simple continental breakfast, and was only woken up by the Captain's announcement that we were 30 minutes from landing, sending me in in a rush to change out of my pyjamas. A very pleasant flight, indeed, and a brief but very good night's sleep.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:07 pm
`X'

Programs: QFF NB, DJ Gold, A3 Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Carlson Silver, A|Club Gold
The service desk at the Doha Premium Terminal is at the top of the escalators directly in front so technically you need to exit the "lounge" for it.

The New Terminal (i toured it back in november) has Airbridges and first and business class lounges, so i dont think the One World benefits are going to be much of an issue.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Interesting read ... do you have any pictures from the trip?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
QR’s safety video has an original touch. I guess owing to Arabic notions of modesty, there isn’t the usual display of a winsome lady demonstrating the safety features. Instead, the life jacket and whatnot are demonstrated by a gorgeous Arabic male model. Undoubtedly, this will have improved the attention of many of us who usually find it hard to pay attention to safety videos.

I completely agree on the safety video. That guy is gorgeous! Unfotunately none of the FA's I had with QR looked like him.

And there is plenty of bling in Qatar. I spent an overnight there (hotel paid for by QR) because I had a long connection. The drive to the hotel made it clear that it is a country with too much money and no idea what to do with it. Under the surface it is just as depressing as any other Gulf state.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
Interesting read ... do you have any pictures from the trip?
Thanks! I feel a bit silly taking pictures of my airline food but I'll try to post a few pictures from Bali in due course.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I completely agree on the safety video. That guy is gorgeous! Unfotunately none of the FA's I had with QR looked like him.
I kind of suspect he's to pretty for that kind of work!

Originally Posted by glennaa11
And there is plenty of bling in Qatar. I spent an overnight there (hotel paid for by QR) because I had a long connection. The drive to the hotel made it clear that it is a country with too much money and no idea what to do with it. Under the surface it is just as depressing as any other Gulf state.
But at least they siphon a fraction of it into the arts and the sciences... I'll take your word for it not showing on the ground though!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:19 am
Original Poster

BKK airport

Suvarnabhumi Airport wasn’t yet open last time I was in BKK. At least, it smells better than Don Mueang, which seemed to be covered in mildew. A man with a sign carrying my name was waiting at the gate, only to tell me I had to go to the TG transfer desk to check in. Which I did, and proceeded to a duty free shop to buy a bottle of bubbly to see in the new year with. Delighted not to be arrested on false shoplifting charges, I started moving towards the C wing from which my flight was scheduled to depart. Neither the distances nor the signposting at BKK are for the fainthearted – it was a long shlep, and a couple of times, the signage changed to only indicating D gates, making you wonder if you’d missed a turn for the C ones. I made it to the lounge however, where I had a cappuccino and a couple of savory puff pastry breakfast thingies. They were nothing to write home about, but then again, breakfast is not one of the celebrated glories of the Thai kitchen.

As the two screens in the lounge annoyingly only showed flights that were already closed or last call, I decided to move to my gate in time for the boarding time shown on my BP, which was a mistake. I found myself stuck for about an hour with hordes of holiday makers in a holding area, which was very roomy but desperately dull. 10 minutes after official boarding time, we were told that the flight was delayed owing to “aircraft preparation”. For the next 25 minutes or so, additional passengers kept arriving, and they seemed to be in no hurry whatsoever, so maybe there was a delay indicated on some screen in the main terminal.

Finally, boarding was announced for C passengers and families with children, and I joined a crowd of hopefuls moving towards the glass doors. However, no attempt was made to open said doors until several minutes later, when the queue went halfway down the gate area.

There followed a disappointing flight to DPS...
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Bkk-dps (tg/c)

MENU

Fruit juice
Fresh Fruits and Yoghurt

MAIN COURSE
Congee with Chicken Thigh and Black Mushroom
or
Fried Soba Noodles with Vegetables and Prawn Sauteed Choy Sum
or
Omelette with Creamed Corn Kernel
Pan-fried Veal Sausage Chipolata
Hashed Browned [sic!] Potatoes, Sauteed Buttered Spinach

Roll, Buttered Croissant, Muffin, Butter, Jam
Tea, Coffee, Chocolate Malt

WINE LIST

CHAMPGNE
Laurent-Perrier Brut

WHITE WINE
Chateau Tour de Mirambeau 2009
Chablis 1er Cru Jacques Blanchet
Ürziger Würgarten [sic!] Riesling 2011

RED WINE
Chateu La Branne 2008
Beaue 1er Cru 2010

AIRCRAFT AND SEATS - THE HARD PRODUCT

The scheduled 2-class 330 aircraft had been substituted for a 3-class 346 (I don’t believe there were any passengers seated in F; when disembarking, there were some signs of blankets having been used so I presume it had been used for crew rest). Great, I thought, I’ll get to sample their flagship product on their newest aircraft. However, the C seat was hard as a rock. When reclined into its kind-of-flat-but-not-horizontal position, it was impossible to lie on my side with that rock-hard surface grinding against my hips. I was certainly glad I wasn’t travelling long-haul on this bird!

IN-FLIGHT SERVICE

Pre-departure drinks included champagne; this turned out to be the last alcoholic beverage that the crew parted with unprompted, as this was designated as a breakfast flight – fair enough, as it departed at 850 AM. In anticipation of this, and preferring a Thai lunch over a Thai breakfast, I had pre-ordered the chu-chu (sp?) prawns (on the one occasion when I actually caught their website working). These were of a good takeaway quality, and I asked the FA to bring me a Singha beer. Food service was, however, much more Economy than premium class. Trays with some fruit and yoghurt were distributed first, and then came the carts stacked high with the hot options wrapped in foil (which was at least removed before serving). After another coffee/juice round, the crew walked through the cabin and lowered all the window shades, after which they disappeared for the rest of the four-hour flight, not offering as much as a water round. Whilst the FAs were all pleasant and friendly, the whole thing felt like a minimum-effort conveyor belt service that would have shamed a US domestic carrier rather than a premium service on a supposedly superior Asian carrier. I found myself thinking, why doesn’t America bring it on and open up the domestic market to competition – UA, AA, and DL can and do do better than this on a 4-hour flight!

To follow: 12 days in Bali

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Jan 3, 2013 at 7:47 pm
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: LH Sen for life; QR Plat; FB Gold; Bonvoy Gold for life
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
The Business Class lounge didn't have any attendant or even a desk for one. I guess you don't need one so long as you man the door to the First Class lounge as everybody else in the terminal is entitled to use the C lounge.
Every time I have transited through DOH there have been several staff positioned at the top of the escalator demanding to see your boarding pass and then pointing you towards the C or F lounge as appropriate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.