Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Another Pub Crawl in the UK via Addis Ababa on Ethiopian Airlines so called Cloud Nin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Pub Crawl in the UK via Addis Ababa on Ethiopian Airlines so called Cloud Nin

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite

Another Pub Crawl in the UK via Addis Ababa on Ethiopian Airlines so called Cloud Nine (J Class)

After seeing all the billboards in Nairobi and Mombasa showcasing ET’s Cloud Nine seats on the 787, as well as knowing it is a part of Star Alliance, and needing miles on *A to keep our silver status, coupled with a decent J class fare to London via Addis (where we have wanted to go and visit a friend), it was decided that we shall try ET to London via Addis.

ET calls their Business Class – Cloud Nine. What does Cloud Nine mean? “Bliss. A state of extreme happiness”. So was ET Cloud Nine bliss? Read on and judge for yourself.

NBO ADD
ET 800
ETD 1820 ATD 1920
ETA 2025 ATA 2115
Boeing 767-300
Seat 3C

Check in

24 hours before the flight, I logged onto the ET website to check in. But online check in did not work. I tried several times, from different computers, but no luck. So I called the ET Nairobi office, and a really helpful lady said she would assign seats, and then I should try. My reservation showed that we did have seats already assigned, but she politely disagreed.

So I tried the online check in a few times, and it did not work. Not a big deal.

We arrived at JKIA at 1600 for our 1820 departure. We cleared security and were at the ET J class queue, where we waited for less then 5 minutes. When I mentioned to the check in agent about the online check in, she commented, "we don't talk about it".

Our bags were tagged through to ADD, and we were given a lounge card. We cleared a very efficient emigration and up the escalators, we went to find the shared lounge.

Lounge

ET uses the shared First Class lounge in Nairobi. There are two of these, used by various airlines, and you can also pay to enter, as well as use Priority Pass. This one was not too busy. It had a decent drinks selection –spirits, beer, soft drinks, tea/coffee, but no wine. To eat there is a vegetarian and non vegetarian cabinet with Samosas, mini pizza, kebabs, spring rolls, and sandwiches. All these can be heated if needed in a microwave. There were also crisps and nuts.

ET Poster in the Lounge

As the flight was delayed one hour, I decided to have a few G&T’s and 4 later, it was time to board.

Boarding

You have to clear a second security checkpoint, which was efficient. There was no priority boarding, so it was a scrum for all. On board, being asked to turn left, we were not shown to seat.

First impression was – hmph. Looks okay. Should be okay. As we settled down, we were offered magazines but no newspapers. Then a hot towel and Pre-departure drinks. On offer was orange juice, water or champagne (Jacque Brut Mosaique) which was poured at the seat.

ET’s 767’s have a forward Business Class cabin with a mini Economy cabin behind it. J class has 4 rows of seats configured 2-2-2.

Pre departure announcements were made in English and Amharic.

We were also asked what we wanted to eat and drink after take off. As the flight is short there was a hot snack being served, but no menu was offered. We asked what wines were available, and were told French or South African. Excellent. What variety are they? Who makes them? Come on, we are not snobs, but want to know what we are being offered. The hostess brought us the bottles, and we went with the South African – Boshendal Lanoy Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot (the French wine was a Barton & Guestier Chataeuneuf du Pape).

For food, we were told ‘chicken with rice, or fish with rice’. So we chose one of each, so we could compare and contrast. There was no vegetarian option.

All orders were taken on the right side (galley side) first, and then the left side. This was on all the flights. So if you want to be served first, book seats on the right side.

And we were then off.

Seat

For a short flight it was comfortable. The pillow was wafer thin. In fact 4 pillows bound together were still s**t. There was a blanket on seat, which was not used. Also the seatbelt felt tight. No I am not fat, but it felt very snug. On subsequent flights either I had lost weight or the belts were much better. The seat is a very old school seat that reclines around 130 degrees. It truly sucks for Business Class.

The seats and whole environment is very worn. My table was sagging, the areas around the seat were grubby, the seat cushion felt lumpy, and there was always a smell in the ventilation system on take off and landing that was gagging.

Seat Pocket in front

Seat Fully Reclined

Cabin Shot

Cabin Shot

Cabin Shot

Cabin Shot

Leg Room Shot

Meal

Trays were brought out before drinks. Then water. Then bread. And then the pre ordered drinks. Come on, I am on holidays and want to drink. However the service was efficient and polite.

The Chicken had a lot of skin & fat. The fish was bit dry as was the rice. It was overall tasty. ET offers condiments such as mustard, ketchup and Tabasco, which helps the meal. There was also a processed cheese and crackers on the tray, butter and a salad with vinaigrette sachet.

Fish Mains

Chicken Mains

Next came the Desert trolley. The crew did not know what it was, but in all of my wisdom, I worked out after eating all of it that it was a Bread & Butter Pudding. It took a while for me to eat it, as I had to request for cutlery twice. They also offered tea and coffee, as well as liqueurs.

Our drinks were topped regularly through both the crew being pro active, and the call button being used.

For a 2 hour flight, there was enough to eat, and service was genuine.

Arrival

ADD was busy on arrival, so we had to enter a holding pattern for 15 minutes. This came as a surprise to me. We eventually landed and were given a remote bay.

We disembarked down stairs onto a bus, which drove a few hundred meters, and we were in the arrivals hall. I needed a visa on arrival, while my wife didn’t need one. There was a visa line which was efficient. Overall we waited around 15 minutes. Once I paid US$20, I was issued a visa for 2 weeks. We then had a second queue to clear immigration. There was also a separate Cloud Nine Priority queue.

We were staying in Addis for 5 nights with an Ambassador (won’t name the country). So the embassy driver was waiting for us with a sign, post immigration. Very smartly dressed man. He took us to the luggage carousel, where our luggage was waiting.

Last edited by roadwarriorafrica; Nov 17, 2012 at 4:15 am
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Addis Ababa

This is a really interesting city. Great roads, loads of development going on, lots of poverty, but not much to do. Addis hosts the African Union, so there are lots of diplomats here. Very few decent restaurants, no shopping malls, no real supermarkets, and all the expats hang out at the Hilton or Sheraton.

We partied, shopped, toured and slept. Very soon it all came to an end and we had our London flight “to look forward to”.

ADD LHR via FCL
ET 710

ADD FCL ETD 1020 ATD 1040
ADD FCL ETA 1500 ATA 1400

FCL LHR ETD 1550 ATD 1500
FCL LHR ETA 1740 ATA 1705

Boeing 767-300
Seat 3J

Check in

We were accompanied by the Embassy driver to check in. He had a special pass, so we became DYKWIA for a short time. We first had to clear security. There was a separate Cloud Nine check in counter which was busy. After a short wait, we were checked in very quickly at a Y counter. The J counter was slow.

Through immigration, and we were airside.

Cloud Nine Lounge

It was busy. It was dirty. The furniture was worn, tables had not been cleared. The toilets were smelly. We could actually smell them from near the food area. It felt like a fish and meat market thrown into one. It felt horrible.

There was free WiFi, but very slow, and very few power points to charge any devices.

Food options included waffles, toasted sandwiches and salads. I would not touch the food. We took a large bottle of water, checked email, and left as soon as they announced boarding.

The rest of the airport is average. Expensive duty free, only 2 café’s to eat at, however there were lots of recliner chairs, where you could relax.

There is a separate *A Gold Lounge (called the Sheba Lounge). I am told there is a new Cloud Nine Lounge opening soon. Many airlines use the Cloud Nine Lounge, including EK, KQ, etc.

Boarding

Just outside the Cloud Nine lounge there is a priority queue for security. This was a mess. It is used by crew, who kept pushing in, and the line is not monitored, so economy passengers were using it as well. So we just pushed and shoved and made our way through.

They had not started boarding yet. You had to go and show your passport and boarding card to get a coloured sticker on your boarding pass. Your colour meant when you could board. Being J Class, there is a separate queue for boarding. We were second on board after they started boarding.

On board

Yay, it is the old 767. The plane was very hot, and 767’s don’t have individual air vent. The seat area was dirty. There was a blanket and pillow (so called) on the seat.

Magazines were then handed out, but no newspapers. We were asked what PDB we wanted, and champagne was poured seat side. Gradually the cabin temperature reduced.

The usual announcements were made, and we were then off.

In flight.

Post take off, no towels were handed out, but basic amenity kits were given. It took 30 minutes to get drinks. Drinks were served from a trolley. ET offers on all flights we took the following drinks:

Aperitifs:
Campari
Chivas Regal
Johnny walker Black Label
White Martini
Red Martini
Bacardi Rum
Gin (Gordon’s)
Vodka (Smirnoff)

A selection of beers: St Georges, Heineken, Carlsberg

A selection of fruit juices and soft drinks.

Champagne and Wine

Barton & Guestier Chataeuneuf du Pape (France)
Boshendal Lanoy Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot (South Africa)
Barton & Guestier Chablis
Jacque Brut Mosaique

Liqueurs

Sandman, Porto, Benedictine, Baileys, Cointreau, Drambuie, Remy Martin VSOP, Tia Maria

We were also served cheese biscuits (shaped like airplanes), and a local snack called Kolo (ultra-crunchy roasted barley grains peppered with chickpeas and light salt seasoning). Both were very tasty, and went well with our St. George Beer. My wife also had a Bloody Mary, which she said was well prepared.

The drinks service ran for around an hour. So I had a few beers. During drinks service, our food order was taken. We were told there is no menu, as it was a new cycle and the menus had not been printed.

There was a choice of chicken with potato croquet, Chinese beef with rice & vegetables, or fish and rice.

There were too many announcements being made all the time. My BOSE noise cancelling headphones helped.

Soon our tables were laid with linen, and trays brought out. There was a prawn starter, as well as salad and dressing. Butter was already on the tray. Bread was served, and choices included focaccia, garlic bread, and rolls.

Hot food was served after they cleared your appetizer dishes. Overall the food was good.

The trays were then cleared and out came the cheese and desert trolley. I can’t remember what the desert was, but I had cheese which was okay, and then a coffee. For the birthplace of coffee, they served Nescafe.

Cheese

Drinks were served throughout the flight.

The IFE – we did not try to really use it. It is the old individual screens that flip out of the arm rest. I did not see any passengers use them. Not sure if they worked. We had our iPad’s so were kept entertained.

Service was genuine and very good. The call bell was always answered promptly.

6 odd hours later, we were on approach into Rome. Being a day flight the seat was comfortable enough.

We had the ET CEO on board, so service was top notch. All passengers were given surveys to complete, and asked to join the ET FF programme – Sheba Miles. This did not happen on any of our other flights. The CEO was given super VIP treatment.:-:

Rome

We were on the ground in Rome for 45 minutes. We asked the crew for a coffee but we asked too late as they were re catering. Some passengers got drinks, but the crew was not proactive in asking.

Flight

We took off at 1500, a full 45 minutes ahead of schedule. We were then served a snack of salad, pizza and fruit salad. It was very very average. The pizza was all dough. However, drinks service continued.

We landed at LHR at 1705 with no hold patterns, which was refreshing.

Arrival

There is no fast track for ET. Immigration took around 15 minutes. Bags took another 10 minutes, and ours were in first 15.

Overall the flights were good, but not great.

Last edited by roadwarriorafrica; Nov 17, 2012 at 4:17 am
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:39 am
Original Poster

UK Pubs

UK

We were in the UK to visit friends, family and just have a good time. We spent a few days in Oxford, and a few days in the Cotswold. Visited 17 pubs in 7 nights, had many pints of real Ale, and had good food. I’ll let the pictures do the talking.

Farriers Arms in Todenham Menu

Farriers Arms in Todenham

Farriers Arms

Farriers Arms Fire

Farriers Arms - Pheasant

Farriers Arms - Cod and Chips

The Turf Tavern in Oxford

Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Le Manoir aux QuatSaisons - Raymond Blancs two Michelin star Restaurant

We also went to Le Manoir aux QuatSaisons - Raymond Blancs two Michelin star Restaurant. We had the siz course tasting menu. Overall it was good, but not mind blowing. Service was exceptional. Food was good.

Amuse Bouche - Excellent

Loads of fresh bread including Beer, Bacon ^, Sour Dough, etc.

Devon Crab

Truffle Risotto. Could not taste the truffle

Sole and Hand Dived Scallop

Venison

Cheese Trolley

3 types of Cows Milk Cheese - all different ages.

Desert - Poached Pear
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Journey Home

Return journey

LHR ADD
ET 701
ETD 2015 ATD 2020
ETA 0730* ATA 0720*
Boeing 767-300
Seat 3J

Check in

Check in was easy. The ET counters are not too well marked and there is not a separate Star Alliance check in area for J class/Elites like Sky Team and others have throughout LHR.

Fast track was available, security was a breeze. Through the shopping maze, and we were off to look for the ET shared lounge - Lounge Number One.

Lounge Number One

This is a very swanky looking lounge. Used by several airlines, and you can pay £30 to get in.

It was busy and took a while to get a seat. There is a long bar with wine, beer, champagne (you pay for) and soft drinks. Food was a few salads, cheese and cookies. Only one choice for hot food – Welsh rarebit (cheese on toast). All other hot food you have to pay for. It would have been good to have a soup and maybe pasta for free.

They actually measured wine as they poured it. Found that very odd.

The lounge was very busy, and got even busier. There is a spa (did not use it), a cinema room, a few roped off VIP areas, and a library with faux books on the walls. The toilets were very average. Not sure if there were showers. Flights are not called.

Star Alliance need to all use one terminal at LHR, and have a proper *A lounge.

Boarding

There was no priority boarding. All passengers boarded at L1, so the cabin was very busy. As usual the plane was very hot.

Again it was the 767, and being a night flight, I was not looking forward to it at all. PDF were offered, and the Champagne was cold.

Magazines were then handed out, a hot towel, menu and amenity kit. Newspapers were handed out after take off.

Flight

It took 45 min to get first my drink. The crew seemed to be faffing around a bit. They took drink orders but then brought the drinks trolley around and asked again. This did not make sense. Drinks were topped up.

Food orders were taken, and when I asked for the chicken, I was told it was for the main course, and there was no starter choice. I showed her the menu, and she did not understand the menu (later on we were given the right menu).

ET had put 4 screaming babies/children in the economy cabin behind Cloud Nine. They screamed and cried the whole flight. Why can’t airline be considerate of their J passengers and put families in the main cabin, so that they don’t bother people who want to sleep?

Menu

Dinner

Fresh seasonal salad

To start

Prawn Salad

To continue

Roasted beef fillet
Spinach and ricotta tortellini pasta
Chicken Tikka Masala

To finish

Raspberry brulee
Double chocolate cake
Fresh seasonal fruits
International Cheese selection

Ethiopian Coffee and Tea selection

Continental Breakfast

Fresh fruits, cereals, yoghurt, bread assortment.

We were now 2 hours into the flight and no food to be seen. Meal service ended around 3 hours into the flight, and lights off after 3.5 hours.

Prawn Salad

Beef

For a 7 odd hour overnight flight, this did not allow passengers to get any decent sleep (not that you could as the seats were crap!!!!).

I was woken up for breakfast, but the look I must have given scared the hostess off, and she left me alone.

I woke up around 15 minutes prior to landing, feeling too tired and grumpy!!!

Arrival

There was a separate bus for J class. We drove all of 20 meters, and we were straight off to the Cloud Nine lounge (reported above).

ADD NBO
ET 801
ETD 1040 ATD 1045
ETA 1245 ATA 1240
Boeing 787 Dreamliner
Seat 3J

Boarding

There was no priority security at this time for Cloud Nine, but the other queue was moving quick. Boarding was announced at 10:15 and walking down the airbridge, I did a double take. Surprise!!!!!! We were on the 787.

Walking into the cabin, it was large, light and airy. My wife was like – “why did we not have this from LHR to ADD???? Why not????”

The usual PDB service was offered, a drink and meal order was taken. We were offered beef or ravioli. The hostess had the menu and read it out. None were handed out to passengers. A hot towel service followed.

Then a massive sales pitch was read out about the 787. This delayed the safety announcement, so we had to wait on the runway for the announcement to finish.

Flight

It felt good to be on a new and modern plane again. The windows were massive, the window side seats had air vents, but the middle seats have no air vents.

The AVOD kept playing up and our screens did not work at all. Hey we had iPad’s and big windows to look out off. Avoid Row 4, as the window seats only have one window (others have 2-3).

After take off, trays were distributed right side first, and then left side. By the time we finished our meals, 4A was yet to receive a tray. This I felt was slow and wrong of the crew.

Beef

Again the trolley appeared with some desert and cheese.

Arrival

We had to circle Nairobi due to traffic (first time in my life, and I have landed there 294 times). We landed on time, down the stairs, up some steps, through immigration and a 10 minute wait for bags. Priority tagging did not work, and customs wanted to see what had had brought.

We were home!

Overall

Would I fly ET again? No. I hated the 767, the food was average, wines below average, lounges way below average. However service was excellent.

I am happy flying to London from Nairobi on KQ or LX.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Great report! thanks for sharing!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:44 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Wow - that 767 looked tired. So much so when compared with the 787. Even the photos looked brighter on the 787.

The best part about Ethiopian is no fuel surcharge and good reward availability.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 1:02 pm

Well the 787 might be nice, but I'll take LX and their 121 seating any day over ET
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: BAEC
Great to see a TR from an airline not often reported on, thank you.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: AC*E
A very interesting trip report - thanks for sharing! Very disappointing that the 787 didn't appear until the last segment!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blackmamba
Great report! thanks for sharing!
No worries at all. When we first thought about flying ET, there was very scant information available. I am glad future flyers with ET will have a concrete base to make a decision on.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Well the 787 might be nice, but I'll take LX and their 121 seating any day over ET
I agree 100%. I don't think that these flights were randomly terrible. I think ET overall has a very poor product, and management does not understand what competition they are against in Africa (SA and KQ).

Originally Posted by noniron
Great to see a TR from an airline not often reported on, thank you.
Cheers.

Originally Posted by YEGflyer
A very interesting trip report - thanks for sharing! Very disappointing that the 787 didn't appear until the last segment!
Tell me about it. If we had that on the LHR routes, I think that this report would have had a very different story to tell
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Wow - that 767 looked tired. So much so when compared with the 787. Even the photos looked brighter on the 787.

The best part about Ethiopian is no fuel surcharge and good reward availability.
The 787 felt brilliant. The photo's were brighter, as there was so much more light coming in, overhead mood lighting, and maybe because we felt "brighter" being on a nice plane.

Are you sure there is no fuel surcharge? Or is it built into the fare?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 4:24 am

The report is simply unsubstantiated and doesn’t reflect what is going on at Ethiopian Airlines, seems only to defame ET, try to write dispassionate report. Ethiopian is named as the best African Airline of 2012 read at http://allafrica.com/stories/201210291461.html

Last edited by ababiya; Nov 20, 2012 at 4:40 am
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ababiya
The report is simply unsubstantiated and doesn’t reflect what is going on at Ethiopian Airlines, seems only to defame ET, try to write dispassionate report. Ethiopian is named as the best African Airline of 2012 read at http://allafrica.com/stories/201210291461.html
Ababiya, I have been flying J and F class for the last 17 years based out of Nairobi. My comparison of ET is against:
* Swiss
* Kenya Airways
* South African Airways
* Emirates
* Qantas
* Air France
* Singapore Airlines
* Air Mauritius
* KLM
* British Airways
* BMI

So I do think I have substantive experience against which to write my report. I wonder if you actually work for ET, as you have joined FT this month, and have only posted against this report.

I stand with what I have written above, and that is, ET at the moment does not offer a world standard (my opinion based on what I have flown) business class product. The 787 is much better, but improvements need to be made on the food (ET website states that injera is available on flights - never saw it), the lounge in Addis, and pillow. The service was mostly very good, genuine and warm.

So do tell us,what is going on at ET. The report you mention also talks about JKIA being the best airport in Africa, yet it is in the worst 10 airports in the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.