Wiki Posts
Search

Quick RTW with JL F, CX F, EK F, and BA F

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2012, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by projecteva
Slight off topic, whats the best way to search for JL availability now? without charge that is. Thanks.
JL's own website, though unfortunately they do not show availability closer in than 7 days.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 2:24 am

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Salon Champagne ........nice!!!!
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Really enjoying it so far BrewerSEA... I am nervous to read what you have to say about BA...

I have to say, JAL food looks to not be my cup of tea, however, amazing presentation and attention to detail... ^ to JAL on that one...
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Really enjoying it so far BrewerSEA... I am nervous to read what you have to say about BA...

I have to say, JAL food looks to not be my cup of tea, however, amazing presentation and attention to detail... ^ to JAL on that one...
I am a big fan of BA F, though expect it to be the "worst" of the four carriers, whatever that means.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
I am a big fan of BA F, though expect it to be the "worst" of the four carriers, whatever that means.
Oh heavens...

I have CX F coming up in 6 weeks, and I am almost beside myself with excitement!
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:58 am
Original Poster

CX 543 HND-HKG First Class

I woke up at 6:00am and took a quick shower before packing up my bag and heading downstairs to check out. I had planned on using the Limousine Bus to get from Narita to Haneda which required that I take the very first airport shuttle at 6:30am. As breakfast was not served until 6:30 the front desk offered to pack a to-go box for me at no charge (my breakfast was included as a Hilton Diamond). I was a bit slow getting downstairs and only made it to the desk at 6:27. Anyone who has been to Japan knows that transportation runs exactly as scheduled. If the bus left at 6:31 it would be late. Because of this the man checking me out literally ran to grab my breakfast and I was hurried toward the bus less than three minutes after arriving at the desk. I arrived at NRT at about 6:45 (I guess I could probably check the schedule to find the exact time!) and walked to the Limousine Bus desk to purchase my ticket to Haneda. We departed at exactly 7:00am and arrived about 90 minutes later. I decided to check my bag as I wanted to mail the shochu I purchased on the JL flight as well as the mugs home during my layover in HKG. The woman at the Cathay Pacific First Class check-in desk processed me efficiently and short-checked my bag without comment. There were no lines at security or immigration and I easily found the JAL lounge. The JAL employee seated at the desk directed me to the left where the First Lounge is located (the Sakura Lounge for business class/oneworld Sapphires is to your right) and I found a seat looking over the apron. Despite being fairly crowded the lounge was quite tranquil. I love the semi-enclosed leather chairs and with music playing felt like I could have been the only person in the lounge.

Ten minutes before the boarding deadline I left the lounge and walked to the gate. As usual I was one of the last to board and was welcomed by a Japanese flight attendant wearing CX's beautiful red uniform, which I have been a fan of ever since they were introduced. I was directed to 1A and asked if I wanted a drink. As always, I went with champagne which was poured at my seat a moment later.

PDB of Amour De Deutz Blanc de Blancs 2003 champagne

I was then offered the menu and wine list for the flight. CX is currently running a "First Class Wine Promotion" where each flight has one of six different "Classified Growths" from the Bordeaux Wine Official Classifications of 1855. I think the goal is simply to get you to buy the six wine set from their Duty Free catalog. It doesn't seem that amazing considering one of the six wines is the same mediocre Chateau Lynch-Bages they have offered on every one of my longhaul flights in the last two years . The wine featured on my flight (and HKG-SIN) was the Chateau Cantenac Brown 2005 Margaux. I took this same flight in F almost exactly a year ago as part of an AONE5 so had a good idea of what to expect.

MENU

LUNCH

Starters
Smoked salmon tartar and prawn with vegetable salsa
Roasted pumpkin soup

Main Courses
Grilled Japanese beef tenderloin with green peppercorn sauce, gratin potatoes and buttered green beans, radish and carrots
Chicken curry with jasmine egg fried rice and mixed vegetables
Grille prawns with penne pasta and lobster sauce, asparagus and shimeji mushrooms

Cheese and Dessert
Camembert, Gorgonzola, White Cheddar, Mimolette
Fresh seasonal fruit
Mango ice cream with strawberry sauce

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

JAPANESE MEAL

Cathay Pacific is pleased to offer a seasonal Japanese meal, in traditional Kaiseki style, as an alternative choice.

[Sushi
Assorted sushi

Appetizer
Simmered prawn flavoured with yuzu citrus, minced duck with egg cake, candied marron, pickled radish with sweet and vinegar sauce, marinated salmon roe
served with green apple liqueur

Braised Dish with Clear Soup
Braised herring, aubergine, taro potato, carrot flower, green beans
Grilled Silago, yuzu citrus peel

Main Course
Side Dish
Matsutake mushroom, boiled chrysanthemum flower and green in bonito-flavour soy sauce

Noodle
Japanese soba noodles, maitake mushroom, yam paste, egg julienne

Grilled dish
Grilled red snapper (Saikyo - yaki style), grilled beef with Sansho pepper teriyaki sauce, sweet potato

Rice served with assorted pickles and miso soup

Fruit
Fresh seasonal fruit

To compliment[sic] your Japanese meal experience, Ginjyo-sake is available.

[b]WINE LIST/b]

Champagne
Amour De Deutz Blanc de Blacns 2003

White Wines
Vincent Girardin Puligny-Montrachet Vieilles Vignes 2008
Villa Maria Single Vineyard Southern Clays Sauvignon Blanc 2010

Red Wines
1855 Bordeaux Classification Wine Promotion
Shingleback McLaren Vale Shiraz 2009
Castello di Gabbiano Alleanza IGT Toscana 2008

Port
Ramos Pinto Quinta da Ervamoira 10 Year Old Tawny Port

[b][Aperitifs and Cocktails/b]
Campari
Martini Rosso
Martini Extra Dry
Tio Pepe Sherry
Harveys Bristol Cream Sweet Sherry
Tanqueray Ten Gin
Bacardi Rum
Belvedere Vodka
Bloody Mary
Screwdriver

Whiskies
Chivas Regal 12 Years Old
Johnnie Walker Blue Label
Canadian Club
Gentleman Jack Bourbon
MaCallan 17 Fine Oak Single Malt ScotchWhisky

Cognac
Tesseron Lot 76 XO Tradition

Liqueurs
Cointreau
Drambuie
Kahlua
Bailey's Irish Cream

Beer
International selection

Singnature Drinks
Oriental Breeze
A sour-plum tea and cranberry juice based non-alcoholic drink with honey and fresh lemon juice and a hint of rose water.
Cloud Nine
A refreshing combination of Vodka, Cointreau and Sprite with a refreshing touch of lemon flavour.

As is typical of CX flights, the Inflight Service Manager introduced herself to me and thanked me for choosing Cathay. The cabin was full with all six seats occupied, and considering J was not full I assume these were all true F pax (whether paid or award) rather than opups. The door closed and started a very long taxi. I was excited to see my first NH 787 in the wild, though I've seen them a number of times when driving past KBFI. As on the previous flight the takeoff roll short and the 10,000 feet chime came extremely fast. The flight attendants sprung into action and asked me what I'd like to drink. While I usually continue with champagne after takeoff I decided to give the Margaux a try as the FA seemed very eager. She poured it at my seat along with the offer of Japanese or Western mixed nuts. It was good but not excellent and I did not drink more than the one glass.

Glass of Chateau Cantenac Brown 2005 Margaux and mixed nuts

After a cursory look at the extensive IFE I started watching the Tim Burton film adaptation of Dark Shadows, as I had intended to see it in theaters and am a big fan of anything with Burton, Depp and Helena Bonham Carter. I know it wasn't a critical success but I thought I enjoyed it thoroughly and will probably watch it again at some point on this trip. I think I'm saving it and Brave for BA considering their less extensive IFE offering (though still superior to what JL offers). My order was taken and the FA seemed a bit taken aback that I chose the Japanese option. Why must my fellow Americans be so unadventurous in food? Nonetheless a few minutes later she set my table and brought the first course, the sushi plate.

Assorted sushi

I absolutely love salmon and as expected that was my favorite part of the tray. Next came the appetizer tray, which was served with green-apple liqueur. I was skeptical at first but the flavor of the prawn and egg cake in combination with the liqueur was very interesting. A salmon egg squirted in my eye which was quite unpleasant but also hilarious considering a male FA saw it happen and did a double take before regaining composure and walking away like nothing happened

Simmered prawn flavoured with yuzu citrus, minced duck with egg cake, candied marron, pickled radish with sweet and vinegar sauce, marinated salmon roe, served with green apple liqueur

I was not a big fan of the herring and soup served next and asked for it to be cleared before finishing it. The fish was unacceptably dry and soup flavorless, only outclassed by the typically bland taro. (The menu listed "grilled Silago," does anyone know what that is?)

Braised herring, aubergine, taro potato, carrot flower, green beans, grilled Silago, yuzu citrus peel

After apologetically clearing herring, the main plate was delivered. Everything was delicious but the soba. I can't say why I didn't like it and I generally enjoy soba. The beef was extremely tough but tasty nonetheless, but the snapper was perfectly flaky.

Counterclockwise from upper-left: Japanese soba noodles with maitake mushroom, yam paste, and egg julienne; Matsutake mushroom, boiled chrysanthemum flower and green in bonito-flavour soy sauce; miso soup; assorted pickles; soy sauce; grilled red snapper (Saikyo - yaki style); sweet potato; grilled beef with Sansho pepper teriyaki sauce; rice

After finishing the main dish I was offered dessert. I was not in a fruit mood so asked for the Western option. Though I did not specifically order the cheese plate it was delivered first. I just picked at it as I was pretty full and didn't really want cheese anyway.

Camembert, Gorgonzola, White Cheddar, Mimolette

Next the mango ice cream was delivered. It was rock hard and I was full so again I barely touched it.

Mango ice cream with strawberry sauce

The true treat was the Johnnie Walker Blue Label and cappuccino I requested after the ice cream was cleared. I have probably drank about 1.5L of JWB in the air at this point

Johnnie Walker Blue Label and pralines

Though the flight was blocked as 4:50 we made it to the gate less than 4 hours after leaving Haneda. I was thanked by each of the front cabin staff individually and walked to immigration where there was a massive line. I'm always disappointed that HKG doesn't offer a priority lane for premium customers but morally I agree that the government has no place in making immigration and customs more comfortable for the wealthy or connected. I wanted to register for the HKIA frequent visitors card, but my last three visits were just barely outside of the required 12 month range. Fortunately they are efficient in Hong Kong and I was through after only about 15 minutes of waiting. My bag was already on the carousel when I arrived and a short walk later I entered The Arrival.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:24 am

Well done report thus far!

You mean the first class FAs on AA won't hold the lavatory door open for you as you enter? I can't believe it!

Once you've flown with an Asian carrier in F, you soon realise that the US based carriers have a business class soft product at best with their own "F" class.

They just cannot compete in today's market because the will not provide for a modern quality and service-driven F experience - which is sad, because pre-1990 they were much, much better service and food-wise.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 2:00 am

Programs: AA, CI, NH, JL, BA, SPG, Ritz, Amex Plat
Do they actually check to see if you have been to HK in the past 12months? or do they just take your word for it? I know people who have gotten the e pass without having done the required 3 visit, or could they just be lucky?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 2:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Starbucks Gold, CO Op gold
Great report Brewer, interesting to see how the EK F compares
Old Sep 10, 2012, 2:28 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by projecteva
Do they actually check to see if you have been to HK in the past 12months? or do they just take your word for it? I know people who have gotten the e pass without having done the required 3 visit, or could they just be lucky?
You can qualify for that by being an elite member of certain FFPs
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:54 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
"Silago" might be shirako, which is generally cod milt.

Originally Posted by JALPak
You can qualify for that by being an elite member of certain FFPs
Yes, this is exactly how I registered for e-channel despite only having one visit to HKG in the previous 12 months.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
The report, the pictures, the flights... I'm impressed! Very nicely done, so far. Thanks for putting together such a nice report! ^^
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:08 am

Comeon, where's the EK F?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:07 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Comeon, where's the EK F?
Exactly. Bring the Bling Baby. Bring the Bling
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eightblack
Exactly. Bring the Bling Baby. Bring the Bling
I got home last night and have another week off so can actually write those sections now! Too much going on while in Europe...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.