Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Europe Adventures with Cathay Pacific Business Class and KLM!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Asia Miles

This trip report will be divided into three parts:

Part 1: Lounge hopping at Hong Kong International Airport CX lounges and CX271 HKG-AMS
Part 2: KLM flight KL1823 AMS-TXL
Part 3: Spotting at Tegel Airport
Part 4: KLM flight KL1826 TXL-AMS and spotting at Poolderbaan at AMS
Part 5: CX270 AMS-HKG

Europe Adventures 2012 Part 1

After getting my IGCSE's done, my parents decided to reward me on a trip to Europe! As a family, we have decided to visit Berlin in Germany and also Amsterdam!
This trip was a very special one to me because it would be the first time flying long-haul on Business Class! As a family of four, we of course would not pay for a business class ticket. Therefore we have decided to try our luck to see if we can burn up some miles to get the J seats. When I called Marco Polo, they told me for my departure flight there were 9 award seats left and 5 for the return flight. Immediately I confirmed with the agent and just after an hour the award ticket has been shown on my father's MPC account. Therefore, 280,000 miles gone from my father's MPC account!
Since I was on my long summer break and I had plenty of time to kill, I decided to go into airside earlier for some lounge hopping and night shots.
I first check-in at the IFC, Central at around 3pm as I had issues to deal with before leaving HKG. at 6:30pm, I arrive at Hong Kong International Airport ready to go airside for some lounge hopping!

Let's start off with the first lounge I visited, which was the newly refurbished, The Wing. From the last time I went into The Wing which was back in 2010, it was really a contrast! The lounge looks modern and elegant! I was extremely hungry so the first place I went to was the Noodle Bar! There they serve Wonton Noodles, Dan Dan noodles and also Japanese noodles. I decided to have wontons and also the Dan Dan noodles. They actually taste very nice! Since I was still hungry I went again for another bowl of Dan Dan Mien.
The Noodle Bar @The Wing

Sitting areas @The Wing

Dan Dan mien

After having some food in the Noodle Bar, I snapped a few photos of the lounge.
The Long Bar@ The Wing

Sitting areas @ The Wing

Then I went down to the sitting area downstairs but since it was too crowded I decided to not take any photos.
My experience of night-shooting:
I must say, this is one of the hardest things ever to do! You will need a piece of A3 size black card to block off the reflection and also a steady tripod. Sadly I only managed to get 2 good night shots which was Hello Kitty Number 5 and also the Emirates A380.
Hello Kitty No.5 B-16309.. Btw, doesn't it look like the Kitty is putting the middle finger up? xD

Emirates A380

Right, I have given up..
Night shot is really really difficult and I adore those who actually have many many successful night shots on jp.net and anet. As I found out my gate number was 61, I head to The Pier to meet up with my family.
The Pier sitting area:

Computer desk with very old and slow computers:

I must say The Pier looks really old and tired and needs a immediate refurbishment. Since I was very sweaty and smelly after the night shots I went to the showers which was very nice! After I come out of the showers I hear the announcement saying..

" Ladies and Gentlemen, we regret to inform you that Cathay Pacific Airways flight CX271 bound for Amsterdam has been delayed due to a ramp congestion. Our new departure time will be at 01:00am. We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused. Thank you." Ok.. well thank god I'm flying Business Class today and could still use the lounge. The wait went by very quickly by watching the Olympics inside the lounge. At 0030 boarding commenced and all passengers inside the lounge bound for Amsterdam immediately boarded the plane.

To be continued..
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:38 am
Original Poster

CX271 HKG-AMS Business Class inflight experience

Flight Details:
Date: 8/8/2012
Flight Number: CX271
A/C Registration: B-HKU
Gate: 61
Seat: 88K
Flight Time: 11h47m
Runway for takeoff: 25L
Flaps: 20
V1: 141 Vr: 168 V2: 179
Pushback time: 0057LT
Cruising Altitude: FL310
Passengers Onboard: 360/379
Cruising Speed: Mo.84
Sector Mileage: 5379

My Boarding pass:

Yes!!! Here comes the exciting moment!!! The first time ever going on the Upper deck of the Boeing 747!! Two lovely flight attendants one called Vivian and the other one I forgot her name :S welcomed us onboard the upper deck of the 747! Vivian and her other colleague bought along drinks and I happily took the Cathay Delight. I was very tired by then. At 0057, pushback was commenced. The taxi was about 5 mins to Runway 25L and we immediately set off to Amsterdam!

Welcome Onboard:

After we reached cruising altitude which was FL310, supper service commenced! I believe this supper service was a little rushed because they did not serve cheese and dessert which was listen on the menu as I believe they feel everyone was tired for dessert.
The Menu for dinner:
Supper:
Starter:

Mixed salad with roasted duck breast and French Vinaigrette

Main Courses:
Wok-fried chicken with black bean, steamed jasmine rice, jade melon with red medlar seed and garlic

Roasted salmon with Camembert rarebit and tomato concasse, potatoes with herb and asparagus
Cheese and Dessert:

Cambozala, Double Gloucester, Chaumes with cabernet paste

Fresh seasonal fruit

Chocolate crispy mousse with raspberry sauce

Tea and Coffee

Praline

Light Meal:
Tomato, orange and basil soup

Spanish omelette with chorizo, pico de galo and cannellini bean salad

Chocolate crispy mousse with raspberry sauce

Fresh Fruit

As the trolley came to me, I saw the new plates and bowls for the Chinese dish. Therefore I went for that. Sadly the rice was dry but the main chicken dish actually tasted quite nice!

Fresh Fruit:

As soon as the FA's came to collect my tray away, I dozed off immediately. The herringbone configuration bed is actually not bad for someone with wide shoulders and I feel it is wide and very spacey. 4 hours later I woke up and I felt very thirsty. I went to the galley and I asked Vivian for a glass of water. She also offered me some nuts which I also said yes to. She was very engaging and we had a chat together for a while. She asked me about my trip and where I would go and I told her that I would be off to Berlin as soon as I land at Amsterdam. Vivian also kindly asked me if I could spare some time for helping her to fill in the inflight survey. I don't know why but I am always the one chosen to do it! Even in Economy class where there are over 200+ pax to choose from xD

As breakfast service was about to commence and Vivian was starting to prepare for breakfast service, I returned to my seat and dozed off for another 30 mins. The lights turned on and I put my seat back to the upright position.

The breakfast menu are as follows:
Breakfast:

Starters
Orange or apple juice
Mango and passion fruit smoothie
Fresh seasonal yogurt
Assorted cereals

Main Courses
Sun-dried tomato and feta cheese frittata with pan-fried pork sausage, back bacon, oven roasted potatoes and braised bean ragout
Dim sum with chilli sauce
Breakfast cold plate

Bread Basket

Tea and Coffee

I went for the western style breakfast and it wasn't bad. The egg was actually quite nice along with the sausage, bacon etc.
Fruit plate:

Main Course:

After everyone had finished their breakfast Vivian and her colleagues collected our trays and we were one hour away from Amsterdam therefore people continued to sleep while I had a look through the entertainment system.
My seat 88K:

30 mins before landing the captain makes a pre-arrival announcement and tells us the weather in Amsterdam is fine and we shall be docking at gate G6 in Amsterdam.

A final Cabin shot before landing:

Nearly there:

The approach to Amsterdam was a little bumpy and we finally touch down at Runway 18R at 0700am. The taxi from Runway 18R to pier G was a fairly long one. We arrive at the gate at about 07:10am and I thanked Vivian and her other colleagues for the service onboard this flight.

Verdict:
Overall, this flight was fantastic! The service from Vivian and her colleagues were straight from the heart. I hope to meet this set of fantastic crew again when onboard another Cathay Pacific flight. Flying long haul Business Class onboard Cathay Pacific is such a treat and the first time ever flying long haul Business Class did not disappoint me!

To be Continued..

Ps. sorry for the limited amount of photos!

Last edited by hdsfs; Aug 31, 2012 at 6:16 pm
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
oh wow the old seating configuration. i didn't know they still existed.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 2:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Good report so far. Looking forward to the KLM segments!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Reserved for Part 2
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Reserved for part 3
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

reserved for part 4
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Reserved for part 5!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:32 pm

great report so far.. Fantastic.. thank you...
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Great report so far and wonderful photos. I had the same meal (salad + main course) on a recent flight - CX catering has improved, although I agree the steamed rice was too dry (the main was great).
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by blackmamba
oh wow the old seating configuration. i didn't know they still existed.
CX won't be refurbishing their 744s for the new business class seats. Get these while u still can ! I personally quite like the better-than-F privacy on the herringbones.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:24 am

Great report and photos ... I must say I really like the UD mood lighting on CX and the new Wing looks superb. How were the noodles - have they been upgraded from the old Wing ? Hope you had a great summer vacation and look forward to the pics from the other segments. How are your IGCSE results ? I guess they must have come out now. All good or was there some bamboo stick pork stew ?
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:26 am

I think you posted the Dan Dan Noodles photo twice ?
Old Sep 2, 2012, 4:55 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
The new Wing looks great! Thanks for the TR.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 8:52 pm

9 award J seats available ... wow that's quite a lot! How long before departure did you book?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.