Wiki Posts
Search

Another addiction fuelled RTW in F on One World

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
More positioning flights aka Why fly direct when you can go via somewhere else

My next dilemma on this RTW journey was how to get myself back from the final destination back to the UK. After my success in the super open jaw ex AMS tickets I decided to try my luck again.

Finding myself without a ticket out of town for the 4-day weekend courtesy of QEII reaching some milestone I started to look around for appropriate destinations for a weekend. I found myself drawn back to CPT where as you know I was not able to get out much due to my cold at the start of this epic journey. So it was I somehow, without too much convincing, ended up with another ex AMS open jaw that got me to CPT and returned at the end of the RTW from NBO. A little searching and not too much effort later I found an award flight to get me back from CPT after the long weekend.

As the final sector of the RTW will end in Nairobi (NBO) this series of reports now form part of this mega thread.

Ok he is babbling again I hear you say.

The start of this little excursion is not all that dissimilar to my previous jaunt to Tokyo with the most significant exception being that I purchased an economy fare from LCY-AMS to start the trip, yes you heard correctly, E C O N O M Y. This trip also did not involve an overnight in AMS and a stupid o’clock start from there.

I left work early again to catch my Y LCY-AMS flight and timed it much better this trip arriving at LCY airport with around 40 minutes to go before the flight. Security was a breeze and I was airside in no time. The flight showed as boarding a few minutes after I got airside and I made my way down to the gate.

I showed my BP and PP and the little machine beeped and showed red with the message ‘not checked in’. The agent typed away for a bit and said you have been upgraded to Club and had wrote my new seat number, 3B on the BP.

The dispatcher then said to me I am trying to organise a meal for you but as you were an involuntary upgrade we may not be able to get one. I thought ah, so when is an upgrade a downgrade? I gave up my window seat for an aisle for a service where the only significant difference is the meal that I may not get.

This time in the lounge they did not have a cordoned off section for elites and Club passengers so I just grabbed a seat and waited for boarding.

The lounge filled up and the agents finally started to board the aircraft. Again they chose one passenger to lead the way prior to letting the rest of us out.

I joined the scrum and made my way along the tarmac and up the stairs to board through the front door.

Flight BA8455 LCY-AMS Seat 3B
Aircraft: E170
Departure time: 15:30

At the top of the stairs the purser greeted me and directed me to my seat.
Boarding continued and the plane filled up, as expected as I did get an op-up. There was only a single seat in Club left unoccupied by the time we pushed back.

The lady next to me had to deposit her carryon bag a few rows back as the club section filled quite quickly. The crew had to gate check a couple bags from down the back.

The captain announced a flight time of 40 minutes and we closed doors and pushed back at 15:29. Five minutes later we were about to hurtle down the runway and the woman next to me crossed herself, which made me smile.

Nothing much to report on this short flight. It was much the same as the week before. I was able to score a meal as someone further up the cabin declined so I am not sure whether I got the meal because of that or the dispatcher had come through. There were two types of meal on board, a ploughman’s platter or a feta cheese salad. Both were served with cheese and crackers and a slice of fruitcake. I drank a bottle of the little Pommery bubbles that BA use in Club Europe and the flight ended with a hot towel service. We touched down at 17:15 and taxied to the same gate we pulled into the week before.

I thanked the crew and made my way up the long finger back to the BA lounge where I needed to bide my time until my next flight to LHR.

I grabbed a scotch and dry and some nibbles from the meagre offerings and whilst at the self-service bar heard one gent saying to his colleague “You think they could have champagne, they have Cognac after all”. Hmm I wonder if he was an FTer.

Again I made my way down to the gate early, before any announcements were made in the lounge. After clearing security I could my gate had already commenced boarding and I joined the queue. I wasn’t sure if there was any sot of fast track, it was not obvious if there was. I made my way to the front and on down to the aircraft after the usual BP and PP checks.

Flight BA0441 AMS-LHR Seat 2F
Aircraft: A321
Departure time: 19:10

I made my way to my seat and stowed my gear. The plane filled up and there were 7 rows of Club Europe almost completely occupied. A hot towel was handed out on the ground and doors closed and push back was early at 19:05. A very long taxi again and we finally took off at 19:22.

The meal on this flight was another ploughman’s platter and I washed this down with some ore bubbly.

There were no announcements from the front of the bus until just short of Heathrow when the first officer announced we would be circling for 10 minutes before we could make final approach. We landed at 19:18 and made our way to a gate at the A terminal building.

Once off the plane I made my way up the ramp and followed the signs to flight connections. At the entrance to the tensor barrier queue an agent asked to see my BP and on seeing a Club World pass directed me down the fast track route. My passport and BP were then checked by an agent and I made my way upstairs to a fast track security screening that lived up to its name.

After clearing security I made my way to the South lounge complex and into the BA First lounge. I grabbed a glass of the LP Grand Siecle champagne and a bite from the self-service area. There was a curry, some slow cooked pork belly, mini pies, salads, hot vegetables and deli meats available.

Around 30 minutes prior to the gate closing time on the BP I made my way over the B terminal building via the underground transit system. Upstairs I wandered down to the gate where boarding had already commenced. I used the dedicated fast track lane and had my BP and PP checked again and made my way down to the aircraft.

Flight BA0057 LHR-JNB Seat 62K
Aircraft: 747-400
Departure time: 21:20

The usual on-board pre-departure of juice, water or bubbly was offered and the amenity kits containing elemis products were handed out. Of course I asked for bubbly as my pre-departure tipple.
The captain came on the horn and made his welcome speech and announced a flight time of 10 hours and 10 minutes.

We pushed back at 21:22 and made our way to the runway nearest the T5 end of the airport.

After take-off the menu cards were handed out along with a drinks round and a hot towel. I decided to fire up the IFE whilst sipping my Kir Royale and bag of nuts.

What a let down after the 777-300 aircraft. You can only have 20 tracks in your playlist and cannot listen to music when the flight map is displayed. The choice of video and audio programs was really limited in comparison.

The map function wasn’t working properly and according to the system we had over 16 hours yet to fly. The CSD dropped by to welcome me and I asked if these birds could even fly for 16 hours and pointed to the screen. He laughed and said I don’t think they can.

DINNER
STARTERS

Poached Scottish salmon with grilled asparagus, saffron potatoes and tarragon cream dressing

Grilled summer vegetables with marinated bocconcini and basil dressing

SALAD
Fresh seasonal salad served with vinaigrette

MAIN
Fillet of Aberdeen Angus beef with shallot and red wine jus, colcannon potato and baby carrot Vichy

Severn and Wye roasted cod with watercress spelt risotto, lemon verbena and radish sauce

Thai green vegetable curry with baked tofu and jasmine rice

Chilled main course salad of citrus-poached corn-fed chicken with wild rice, quinoa, orange fillets and pistachios

DESSERT
Chocolate and strawberry Mogador

Butler’s Secret Cheddar and Melusine goat’s cheese served with black grapes and biscuits

A selection of fruit

Chocolates

WINES
CHAMPAGNE

CHAMPAGNE COCKTAILS

Kir Royale
Crème de Cassis gives this cocktail its distinctive taste

Buck’s Fizz
Crisp dry champagne and naturally sweet orange juice

Taittinger Brut Reserve NV Champagne
Champagne Taittinger’s origin date back to 1734, and today it is one of the few Champagne Houses to be owned and actively managed by the family named on the label; Pierre Taittinger acquired the House in the early 1930’s. Taittinger Brut Reserve characterises the House style, which uses a high percentage of Chardonnay in the blend. Such Chardonnay dominance helps create a style of delicacy and finesse that merits the Gold Medal awarded at the Decanter World Wine Awards 2010. Its lean palate has considerable depth and elegance with a long, fresh finish making it a perfect aperitif.

WHITE
Sancerre 2010, Chateau de Thauvenay, Loire Valley, France
Winner of a Gold Medal at Lyon’s International Wine Competition 2012, this is a bright, fresh, vibrant Sauvignon Blanc with hints of lemon, pineapple and sherbet, freshly cut grass and flinty note of a newly struck spark. This vintage is typical of the appellation. The splendid chateau and estate owned by the Comte de Choulot and his family date back to 1819 and the time of the Napoleon. Perfect as an aperitif or with any of the starters, especially the goat’s cheese.

Glen Carlou Chardonnay 2010, Paarl, South Africa
South Africa’s Classic Wine Trophy now sits next to this wine’s Gold Medal from the International Wine Challenge 2010. Both accolades are proud acknowledgements of the rich barrel-fermented style of one of South Africa’s most iconic Chardonnays. There is minerality and hints of ripe pear, apple and lemon to contrast with the creamy, spicy and vanilla notes from the French oak. Winemaker Arco Laarman has crafted another gem with the 2010. Try it with the chicken or vegetarian options.

RED
Saint-Joespeh 2009, Cave Saint-Desirat, Rhone, France
Ruby in colour, the is a true gem from the northern Rhone. Entirely unoaked it is made exclusively from the Syrah grape, here in its heartland. Fresh blackberry and black cherry fruit combine with some light, savoury, meaty flavours with a pinch of sweet spices and white pepper notes. This wine is medium weight and lower in alcohol that some, but rounded, elegant and well balanced. Ideal with any of the beef dishes.

Paradale Vintners Cabernet Sauvignon 2009, Barossa Valley, South Australia
A big, rich, spicy Cabernet with lashings of cassis, blueberry and stewed black fruit flavours, soft and full-bodied: this classic Barossa style. Winemaker Paul Linder has crafted a wine that’s both big and subtle, with some spicy vanilla notes from 12 months aging in French oak barrels. Perfect to savour on its own or with cheese, this Cabernet goes well, too, with any of the spicier dishes.

THE BAR
APERITIFS AND COCKTAILS

Campari
Martini Dry
Cointreau
Southern Comfort
Smirnoff Blue
Messenes Crème de Cassis
Tanqueray
Gordon’s Gin
Tia Maria
Baileys
Tio Pepe
Bacardi

WHISKIES
Glenlivet 15-year-old Malt
Jack Daniel’s
Johnnie Walker Black
Drambuie 15-year-old Speyside Malt Liqueur

COGNAC
Otard VSOP Cognac

BEER
Grolsch Premium
Fuller’s London Pride
Heineken

SOFT DRINKS
Coca-Cola
Diet Coca-Cola
Sprite
Sparkling Mineral Water
Tonic Water
Canada Dry
Bitter Lemon
Diet Tonic
Fanta Orange
Still Mineral Water
Soda Water

JUICES
Apple
Tomato
Orange
Cranberry

TWININGS TEA ROOM
A selection of refreshing teas and infusions including: English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Pure Green, Peppermint, Camomile and Cranberry, Raspberry and Elderflower

Ground Coffee
Decaffeinated Coffee

I started with the salmon starter that seemed to have quite a fishy flavour to it that I am not used to experiencing with salmon.

After this and the salad were devoured my main course beef was delivered. It was not as delicious as the beef on my NRT flight and I always think the sauce on the side in a tinfoil bowl looks tacky.

The crew were great throughout the meal and there were plenty of refills of wine and offers of bread. I was all tuckered out after the main and declined any offer of dessert or cheese. I finished off the meal with a glass of the single malt and the small chocolates.

Around 1.5 hours out of JNB the lights came on the crew came out with juice or smoothie and a hot towel. I grabbed a smoothie that was exceedingly thick.

BREAKFAST
STARTERS
Chilled fruit juice

An energising fruit smoothie of plum and blueberry

Fresh fruit

West Country granola with fruit compote and natural yoghurt

BAKERY
A selection of warm breads and breakfast pastries

MAIN
Traditional English breakfast of scrambled eggs, crispy streaky bacon, Saddleback sausage, tomato and sautéed potatoes

Spanish-style potato omelette

Blueberry French toast crumble with blueberry syrup

I decided to go with the granola that was quite nice and light to start with some OJ and a cup of coffee.

For the main course I went with the Spanish omelette that has cemented my opinion that BA can’t do breakfast unless it is the full fat greasy English breakfast.

After breakfast the cabin was cleared away ready for landing into JNB. The captain came on the blower and told us we had been given a straight in routing and would be on the ground early.

We landed at 08:44, which was followed by a long, long taxi to the gate. I thanked the crew and walked downstairs to await the doors opening. Door 1 was used and I had to wait for First and Premium Econ to get off before I was able to join the rest of Business in disembarking.

It was a long walk to immigration and there were significant queues for both the locals and foreigner lines. They moved quite quickly and I was processed in less than 10 minutes.

With no luggage to collect I was able to make my way out of customs and upstairs in search of the domestic portion of the terminal. I was wandering along looking for where the BA flights check-in and an airport worker asked me who I was flying with. I said BA and he said right down the end.

I made my way down and with my already printed BP in hand I joined the queue for security. It took a few minutes to make it through but I was foiled a little by the lack of a decent prep area where I could take out laptop, liquids etc. People kept pushing past me as I was getting ready as they didn’t need to do anything in preparation. I was soon done though and made my way through and followed the signs to the lounges on the upper level.

I found the strangely named SLOW lounge that BA use and was welcomed inside. Inside the lounge there were various seating areas with a alcove of computers, a games room and a quiet room. There was a manned bar with barista and a table laid out with breakfast items including fruit, pasties, cereals, juices, yoghurt, cheese etc.

I parked myself down one end in a seat looking out over the apron. I grabbed a bowl of fruit and yoghurt and a coffee and settled in for a few hours. I needed to go to the front desk in order to get a piece of paper with a username and password for the internet. The wifi was a little patchy and suffered from drop outs a fair bit. I did what I needed to do and sat and read for most of the rest of my stay.

At around 11:00 the meal spread switched over to a more lunch feel with the cheese remaining but the other items were replaced with salads, wraps and sandwiches of various assortments.

I left the lounge 30 minutes prior to the flight closing time and made my way to the gate. I joined the queue just before boarding began and there was no fast track or priority boarding for the flight.

My BP and BP were checked and I was on my way down to the old 737-400 aircraft.

Flight BA6417 JNB-CPT Seat 2A
Aircraft: B737-400
Departure time: 12:50

On board I was welcomed and directed to my seat. As the flight continued to board I was offered a newspaper and a pre-departure beverage of water, kiwi-cranberry juice or sparkling wine. The sparkling wine was not on the tray but the purser said he would get some for me if I desired. I liked the sound of the juice so I went with that instead.

The captain announced a flight time of 1 hour and 55 minutes before we closed up. When the doors were closed there were 8 in the business class cabin that was laid out in 3 rows of a 2-3 configuration.

There was no one seated next to me and I was able to spread out a bit which was great when carting around a great stonking DSLR these days. I usually need to rest it in my lap but was able to make use of the space between the two seats on this flight.

We pushed back at 12:47 and after a shorter taxi we took off at 12:56. Once in the air a hot towel was handed out and I could hear that the service down the back consisted of a hot lunch. They still do hot lunches in economy on flights less than 2 hours? Those down the back had a choice of a chicken curry or a mac and cheese.

Up the front the service started with a round of drinks. I went with the usual scotch and dry and upon asking the purser reeled off a range of scotches. I went the bog standard Johnnie black on this occasion.
The drinks round were served with a packet of nuts and I was offered a refill of the drink before the lunch started.

The lunch tray was brought out and had a small Greek salad on the tray along with a packet of crackers and a small chocolate.

The purser offered me a choice of red and white wines. On the white front there was a Chenin / Sauvignon Blanc blend or a straight Sauvignon Blanc. Of the reds there was a Cabernet Sauvignon / Pinotage or a Shiraz.

I tried the Sauv B with the starter but it was not really to my liking and when the purser offered a refill I declined.
After I had eaten the salad the purser came out again with a tray with each of the main courses to view. On offer there was a beef fillet with mushroom sauce a vegetarian lasagne or a seafood dish with vegetables.
Proving to a bit boring I went with the beef. On reading this last series of reports one could think it is all I eat. Perhaps because I rarely eat it at home I tend to gravitate to beef when I am travelling. I tried the Cabernet Sauvignon with this dish and was equally unimpressed as I was with the white.

After the main the purser came around again and offered some cheese ‘to go with the crackers on your tray’ or a milk pudding ‘that is really lovely’.

I went with the dessert option and after eating it spent my time staring out the window watching the African landscape pass by below.

The purser on the flight was fabulous and used my name constantly throughout the flight. As this was an old bucket there was no entertainment at all on the flight but that didn’t really bother me with such great views to look out upon.

We landed at 14:42 and I was soon off the plane and through the airport and in my car onwards to my home for the next three nights the Westin hotel.

More Photos
Old Jun 10, 2012, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Cape Town Pictures

As usual with my stops in cities I won't write a great deal but will let the picture do the talking.

The weather in Cape Town was absolutely glorious the two days I was in town. Contrast this to the dismal weather the UK was having that weekend for the Queen's Jubilee celebrations and I was quite happy to be where I was.

My first full free day I spent doing a bit of tour of the city and then going up table mountain. I spent quite some time up there taking snaps and there are many more on my flickr pages than posted here.

The second day I sort of lazied it out somewhat and spent some time down on the coast road.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

More Photos
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Back to London Again

After a beautiful couple of days in sunny Cape Town it was time to return to the great British summer.

I was able to secure a 16:00 checkout from the hotel and sat in the lobby reading my book for an hour or so.

I grabbed a cab to the airport and the cabbie told it could be a little slower than normal as it was peak hour. I said I had plenty of time so not to worry. The traffic was slow moving at times but kept moving and I was at the airport searching for the BA check-in desks by 18:00.

There was no queue at the desks and I was processed quickly and directed to the security lines to the side of the BA desks. The queue was short but moved slowly mostly due to disinterested staff too busy chatting to bother keeping things moving. Next up was the emigration check where again I was ushered to the desk of a woman who was having a chat to someone and took her sweet time dealing with my PP and BP.

The BA terraces lounge at CPT was the same rubbishy place it was on my previous visit with mediocre offerings on the food and alcohol front. There was some minestrone soup, sandwiches and the usual healthy snack options of chips (crisps) etc.
Again it was necessary to get a username and password from the front desk in order to use the wifi.

I surfed and drank a scotch and dry whilst waiting as the lounge slowly filled up.

When the lounge occupancy level reached uncomfortable I wandered outside and decided to make some use of my priority pass and went in search of the lounge they use. The lounge was up one level right at the end of the terminal building and had much the same mediocre level of offerings but did enjoy views of the apron and runway.

Closer to the time of my flight I went back down to the gate via a quick visit to the duty free where once again there was compliment of BA crew making last minute purchases.

I waited at the right side of the podium for a while and boarding of passengers with small children started. Whilst waiting an older smartly dressed couple barged their way through the crowds and went up to the podium. They sorted whatever it was they needed doing and then waited in front of the podium.
Boarding F, J and elites started and these two went up to the agent and were let in. Well I suppose that is one way to make sure you are at the front of the queue. My BP and PP were checked and I was on my way down to the aircraft. Only door 2 was being used so there was the usual backing up of people along the ramp.

Flight BA0058 CPT-LHR Seat 1K
Departure time: 20:15

On board I was welcomed at the door by name and escorted to my seat. I must admit to a small smile appearing on my face as I walked past Mr and Mrs QueueJumper who were settling in to the front row of premium economy.

At my seat I was told I could place my bag in the locker at the front and was given an amenity kit and asked if I would like PJs. I was asked if I cared for a glass of Champagne before take-off. Well we all know what the answer to that enquiry was.

There was a top up of bubbles again before we pushed back at 20:14.

In a bizarrely weird coincidence I was reading a passage in my novel about an American complaining that they sprayed him on-board his aircraft that was bound for Australia, when the CSD announced that the cabin would be sprayed with an insecticide before take off.

The safety video started and stopped several times whilst we were on the ground and eventually an announcement was made to the crew that a manual demonstration would be made.
Sitting in row 1 is not the easiest of positions to be in to watch a manual demonstration.

We took off at 20:30 and once safely airborne the crew came around with a menu and asked for a drinks order. I went with my bubbly alternative of a scotch and dry and this was soon delivered with some warm nuts.

The person in 2A loudly moaned about how cold it was in the cabin and complained she had already spoken to the crew about this. Of course dear cabin heating on a plane is instantaneous.

I didn’t catch if the captain had announced a flight time but the IFE told me it was going to be 11 hours and 35 minutes. The CSD dropped by and welcomed me on board.

My dinner order was taken; on offer tonight was:

DINNER
STARTERS

Wild Coast crayfish, gravlax and butternut compote with potato and dill salad

Sweetcorn medallion with mushroom salad

Potato and Leek soup

Fresh salad leaves with your choice of balsamic vinaigrette or dill yoghurt dressing

MAIN
Free-range duck confit with kumquat and balsamic jus, sweet potato au gratin, spinach and carrots

Drakensberg trout and West Coast sole roulade in a sweet pepper cream sauce with glazed baby carrots and jasmine rice

Beef fillet mignon with Pinotage rosemary sauce, roasted Kalahari Desert new potatoes, bean cassoulet and broccoli florets

Vegetable terrine with linefish quenelle and shrimp served with tabbouleh salad

BISTRO SELECTION
Tagliatelle pasta with mushroom cream sauce and shaved Parmesan

Seared beef fillet strips and sautéed onions on a baguette

A selection of biscuits

A selection of cheese and fruit

DESSERT
Pistachio strawberry delice with raspberry sauce

Lemon and ginger pudding cake with sauce anglaise

CHEESE PLATE
A selection of cheese

Fresh fruit

BEVERAGES
We offer a selection of the following Twinings Tea:
Teas – English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Mint Humbug, Honeycomb Camomile, Red Berry Fool and Jasmine Pearls

Coffee - Freshly roasted and ground, decaffeinated, espresso or cappuccino

WINES
APERITIF

Kir Royale
A sparkling aperitif combining Crème de Cassis (a blackcurrant liqueur) with Champagne, creating a refreshing cocktail.

CHAMPAGNE
Laurent-Perrier Grand Siecle, Champagne, France
Grand Siecle is the prestige cuvee of the House of Laurent-Perrier and is named in honour of the ‘Sun King’, Louis XIV, who presided of the an era known as the ‘Grand Siecle’ or ‘Great Century’. At the Palace of Versailles, Louis XIV was the first French King to drink Champagne. This multi-vintage Champagne is created from grapes sourced from 100% Grand Cru vineyards in the twelve most prestigious villages such as Ambonnay, Avize, Cramant and Le Mesnil. The blend is 50% Pinot Noir and 50% Chardonnay, and only the very best vintages are used. The wine is aged for at least five years on its lees before release in its beautiful replica 17th century bottle. Gold in colour with a delicate bead, this outstanding Champagne features aromas and flavours of honey, almond and freshly baked brioche.

WHITE
Meursault Les Clous 2008, Bouchard Pere Et Fils, Burgundy, France
Meursault lies at the heart of the golden triangle of Burgundy where the greatest white Burgundies are produced and the house of Bouchard Pere Et Fils can date its history back to 1731. The vineyard of Les Clous is situated on marl soils with an eastern exposure, and the grapes are vinified and aged in oak barrels for ten months, giving additional complexity to the wine. This opulent Les Clous features ripe apple and citrus flavours with a mineral note and integrated toasty oak on the finish.

Prinz Von Hessen Dachsfilet Riesling Qualitatswein 2008, Rheingau, Germany
Silver Medal in Decanter 2010 Wine Awards and International Wine Challenge 2010
The venerable wine estate of Pinz Von Hessen is located in the legendary wine village of Johannisberg in the Rheingau region. Dachsfilet is a fascinating and mildly controversial wine, being vinified in the style of a red wine with the juice partly fermented on the skins of the grapes to give more body and texture. The grapes are sourced from the finest part, the filet, of the Winkeler Dachsberg (Badger’s Mountain), hence the name Dachsfilet. The wine has a lovely texture, with a hint of sweetness allied to citrus and peach fruit and some mineral complexity. A delicious aperitif and a good match for seafood, ham and lightly spiced vegetarian dishes.

Le Soula Blanc 2007, VDP Des Cotes Catalanes, France
This unique wine is made from an intriguing blend of Roussillon white grapes, Marsanne, Roussane, Grenache Blanc, Chenin Blanc and Rolle (Vermentino) by star winemaker Gerard Gauby in the steeply elevated vineyards of the Pyranees. This is a wine of great character and purity, which Jancis Robinson, MW, has described as a cross between a particularly fine Chassagne-Montrachet and a full-bodied dry Mosel. Le Soula Blanc has long been acclaimed in France, where it is listed on many Michelin-starred wine list, and last year became only the second Languedoc-Roussillon domaine to be awarded two stars in La Revue du Vin de France’s annual guide to the best wines of France. Rated 89/90 points by The Wine Advocate this is an outstanding food wine which matches a variety of dishes from seafood and poultry to spicy options and creamy cheese.

RED
Chateau Camensac 2005, 5eme Grand Cru Classe Haut-Medoc, Bordeaux, France
The delightful 18th century manor house of Camensac is situated to the west of St. Julien in the commune of Saint-Laurent-Medoc where the vineyards lie on elevated, well drained gravel croupes and comprise of 60% Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% Merlot with an average age of thirty-five years. The property was owned from 1964 by the Forner family, owners of Marques de Caceres in Rioja, who invested heavily in the estate before its subsequent purchase un 2005 by Jean Merlaut and Celine Villars-Foubet, who have continued the improvements. The 2005 vintage in Bordeaux is widely regarded as excellent and an early contender for vintage of the century. Camensac is a great success in tis outstanding vintage, showing rich berry fruit aromas and flavours with complex cedar and tobacco overtones allied to a ripe tannic structure.

Molnar Family Poseidon’s Vineyard Pinot Noir 2008, Carneros, California
Gold Medal in 2010 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
Nicholas Molnar, the founder of the Molnar Family Vineyards, began buying land in the Napa region during the 1960’s following his escape from Communist Hungary in 1956. The ‘Poseidon’s Vineyard’, planted in 1973 lies at the confluence of Carneros Creek and the Napa Rivera at the northern edge of the San Francisco Bay where the maritime influence produces the perfect microclimate for Pinot Noir. This is a wonderful example of this grape which features a lovely velvety texture together with a melange of ripe, red fruit flavours and hints of earth and loam that tell the story of the wine’s terrior. Winner of a Gold medal in the 2010 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition and rated 90 points by Robert Parker, this wine is unusually good with meaty fish dishes and game.

Mullineux Syrah 2009, Swartland, South Africa
Five-Star Platter Guide
This young winery, a key part of the ‘Swartland Revolution’ is run by the charismatic husband and wife team of Chris and Andrea Mullineux; only last year they achieved a notable hat-trick when three of their wines were rated five stars by the Platter Guide. Their 2009 Syrah was sourced from six different parcels of wines in Swartland representing very different terroirs. The winery uses as little intervention as possible in the winemaking; so indigenous yeasts, skin maceration, some whole bunch fermentation and oak aging for eleven months in French oak barrels, and there you have it – a Syrah to rival the finest Rhone. This wine has been widely critically acclaimed, including a rating of 92 points from Neal Martin of the Wine Advocate, and is a fine match for red meat dishes, game and pasta.

DESSERT
Vinde Constance 2006, Constantia, South Africa
Five-Star Platter Guide
In the 18th and 19th centuries ‘the sweet luscious and excellent wine of Constantia’ was recognised as one of the great wines of the world, taken into exile by Napoleon and enjoyed by such disparate historical figures as Bismark, Charles Dickens and Baudelaire. Since it resurgence in 1980 it seems that its time has come again. Amber in colour with perfumed tropical fruit aromas, it features raisined Muscat flavours with pineapple and mango nuances on the palate and a fine balancing acidity. It is a delicious match with foie gras and pates, fresh fruit and soft white and blue cheeses. Rated at 95 points by Neal Martin for Robert Parker, 93 points by Wine Enthusiast and 96 points by Stephen Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar.

Warre’s 1992 Colheita Tawny Port
Complex, sweet, nutty flavours offer an admirable after-dinner glass.

SPIRITS, DIGETIFS AND LIQEUERS
Gonzalez Byass Sherries
Smirnoff Black Label Vodka
Tanqueray No. 10 Gin
Johnnie Walker Blue Label Scotch Whisky
The Glenlivet 18-year-old Single Malt Whisky
Woodford Reserve Kentucky Whiskey
Drambuie 15-year old Speyside Malt Liqueur
Otard XO Cognac

SOFT DRINKS
A selection of traditional and modern drinks

The meal started with an amuse bouche consisting of a prawn on a skewer with a chilli dressing. I opted for the Le Soula Blanc white wine to start and it was quite a different wine to anything I had ever had before. It never ceases to amaze me how different wines can be; this one had a definite coconut pong and tasted like pineapple.

I was taking pictures of my amuse bouche and couldn’t work out why I couldn’t get it to focus properly. I finally realised I didn’t have my glasses on and the viewfinder was showing in focus but my aged eyes were the problem, not the camera.

My starter was the sweetcorn cakes which were very nice along with the yummy mushrooms.

I followed this up with a warming bowl of the potato and leek soup.

I am afraid I went boring again and chose the beef. Again this time it was edible but nothing special. I promise next time I fly I won’t choose the beef!

After the main I was asked if I wanted cheese and dessert. I decided to try the lemon and ginger cake as they are two of my favourite flavours.

I also asked for a glass of the dessert wine, it would be rude not to since the Constantia region is only 20 minutes or so from Cape Town by car. It was a nice wine but not quite the luscious drop that the mudpie is.

After the meal I got up to visit the loo and a crewmember asked me if I would like them to make up my bed. I said yes and by the time I was back at my seat it was ready for me to snuggle into and a bottle of water was sitting on the side.

I slept quite well through the night although there were a few bumps along the way.

Around 90 minutes out of London the crew started serving breakfast. I stayed under wraps for a while having decided I would eat in the arrivals lounge instead of on board.

Had I chosen to eat in the air I could have had the following:

BREAKFAST
STARTERS

Chilled fruit juice

An energising fruit smoothie of strawberry

A selection of yoghurts

A selection of cereals

Fresh seasonal fruit appetiser

A wide selection of breakfast pastries and rolls

MAIN
Traditional English breakfast of scrambled eggs, grilled bacon, pork sausages, sautéed mushrooms, seared tomato and potato cheesecake

Omelette with mushroom cream sauce, Lyonnaise potatoes and sautéed spinach

French toast with poached pear compote, crème fraiche, maple syrup

I eventually got up to change back into my civvies. On the way I was greeted by the sight of an older gent in his undies changing in the aisle. At the loos there was another passenger waiting and the two loos occupied. Eventually one of the doors opened and who should come out but Mr QueueJumper from Premium Econ. As he went back through the curtain another from back there attempted to come up to use the loo. One of the F crew quickly pounced and sent him packing and re-attached the velvet rope between the cabins.

After I changed one of the crew asked if I would like something to eat or drink and I asked for the smoothie and a cappuccino.

The CSD came around handing out immigrations cards and skipped me. I asked for one and said ‘Oh you need one?’ I said I did and she said ‘you were trying to trick me’. I gather this exchange was generated by the fact that my accent is pretty neutral.

After the cabin was all cleared and we flew around over London for a while we came in to land at 07:00 and taxied to the C gates at Terminal 5.
To my pleasant surprise, again, the bridge was attached to door 1 and the F passengers were able to leave the aircraft first, hah take that Mr QueueJumper.

It took 10 minutes to navigate the terminal and train to the A gates and up to immigration where IRIS was a happy lady again. I was able to walk straight on out through customs and on up to the arrivals lounge for a shower and some breakfast before heading home on the HEX and tube.

Next up some more positioning flights, this time getting me back to SYD to finally pick up the RTW. I will be back in a few weeks.

In the meantime happy trails to you all.

Last edited by Moomba; Aug 30, 2012 at 1:55 pm
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: VA Gold
Another incredible set of entries from you Moomba. To say I am jealous is an understatement!

I very much look forward to your next installments

Oh, and don't feel bad about always choosing the beef, that's pretty much what I would do - seeing all the beef dishes is making me hungry!!
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Must...Fly!
Another incredible set of entries from you Moomba. To say I am jealous is an understatement!

I very much look forward to your next installments

Oh, and don't feel bad about always choosing the beef, that's pretty much what I would do - seeing all the beef dishes is making me hungry!!
Thanks Must...Fly!

As to the beef, well to tell you the truth I only wrote that because I know what I am having on my next longhaul as I was able to pre-book the meal.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Back to Sydney to pick up the RTW

Those of you who have managed to keep up with my insanity will know that the RTW ticket is parked in Sydney at the moment. This report covers the flights to get back to Oz in order to pick up the RTW once again. My means of getting back to Oz changed 3 times since my original plans were struck with the final solution being a Finnair ticketed jaunt via HEL and SIN to get me to SYD with the final SIN-SYD sector being a codeshare on BA.

I left work early again but unlike my previous jaunts I had a suitcase to drag around London with me. I took two tubes and the HEX back to Heathrow Central and made my way upstairs at Terminal 3. The AY check-in desks are located at the far right end of the terminal along with their other OneWorld fellows.

There was one business check-in desk and I had to wait until a passenger with a million questions had finished before being called forward. I placed my case on the belt and handed over my passport. The agent asked me if I had printed my BP and I said the online system wouldn’t allow me to print the SIN-SYD BA sector. She said I will print all three for you now. She also tagged my bag and was putting a ‘heavy’ tag on it and the ripped it off and put a priority tag instead. I said I didn’t think it was that heavy.

She told me that AY use the Cathay Pacific lounge and handed me my 3 boarding passes and baggage tag and wished me a pleasant trip. She also said I could use fast track security.

I made my way upstairs past the Amex travel exchange with a mental note to self to pick up my cash when airside. The fast track security lines were short and two machines were in operation. It seems though that each person in my queue waited for a personal invitation to get their stuff out and the line moved decidedly slowly.

I made it through unscathed and out through the dedicated door into the airside shopping mall. I made a beeline to the Cathay lounge where a very confused elevator told me ‘doors closing’ after it had reached the second level just as the doors were about to open.
Inside the agent welcomed me in and pointed to the doors to the First class section.

The lounge is nice and airy with windows looking out over the apron.

They had Veuve Cliquot Ponsardin bubbly along with other wines and spirits. Foodwise they had a vegetable curry, chicken rendang, beef in black bean sauce, rice, salads, sandwiches, scones and biscuits and cheese along with the signature CX noodles made to order.

About 40 minutes prior to the flight the gate was announced on the boards and I packed up my things and made my down to the gate. There was no priority entrance to the gate lounge so I just joined the long queue. Inside my PP and BP were checked and I entered the gate enclosure. Boarding didn’t start until just before the scheduled take off time and wheel chairs were let down the ramp first. A boarding call was then made for the back rows and Business and OW elite could board at their leisure. The usual scrum ensued and I made my way down the ramp toward the aircraft.

Flight AY0834 LHR-HEL Seat 2A
Aircraft: A321
Departure time: 18:05

A smartly dressed older AY crewmember welcomed me on board and I threw my camera and pad onto my seat and stashed my backpack in the overhead. The gentleman in 2C had already boarded and I had to ask him to get up to let me in, despite my have just tossed my stuff past him.

I settled in for the flight into the standard Euro airlines configuration of a normal Y seat with the middle seat blocked. The front cabin filled up with 12 business class passengers. The captain apologised for the slight delay due to the aircraft being cleaned and announced a flight time of 2 hours and 35 minutes. The purser also made her welcome announcement. We pushed back at 18:23 and they were showing nose cam on the IFE screen on the bulkhead wall. We took off at 18:42 into the fine night over London. A bit of a change from the previous week where the weather had been particularly un-fine.
After the belt sign went off the crew were up and about firstly closing the curtains between J and Y. A hot towel was handed out along with a menu card.

ASIAN FLAVOURS
The Asian cuisine offers a vast variety of foods and flavours. Pleasing to the palate, this combination of fresh ingredients and exotic spices tempts you with its fantastic aroma.

MENU
Japanese vegetable maki
Bulgogi, Korean beef with fragrant Jasmine rice
Sunny mango cake

Carefully selected wine and beverage selection

A drinks round was made before the meal and I asked for champagne. Finnair use mini bottles of Joseph Perrier champagne that is not half bad. This was served along with some pretzel snacks.

After the drinks the meals were served all on the tray and a breadbasket was passed around along with an offer of more drinks. I decided to try the white wine and it was also OK although a little woody for me.

Coffee and tea were offered next and I had a cup of Joe to keep me awake.

It was about this time that I realised my mental note to pick up my currency airside at T3 had a delayed reminder time on it and my money was still back at LHR.

After the meal tray was taken away I did the usual window gazing until it was time to land.

As we were travelling further north the light stayed with us and it was still quite bright outside when we landed at 22:59. The IFE screen on the bulkhead had been showing gate arrival and connection information and I was able to note that my Singapore flight was leaving from the gate next to our arrival gate.

I exited the aircraft and made my way up to the lounge that was just past my departure gate. I was welcomed inside and given a code for the wifi. A quick surf and a glass of mineral water later and a detour via the loo and I was heading out back to the gate. As I arrived they just started to pre-board. The agent saw I had come from the lounge and nodded at me to come forward. My BP and PP were scanned and I was on down to the aircraft.

Flight AY0081 HEL-SIN Seat 7A
Aircraft: A340
Departure time: 23:55

On board I was greeted by two of the business crew and directed to my seat. I had chosen the last row in Business as they were labelled ‘more leg space’ on the AY seat maps online. However it seems on this aircraft 7A was not the last row but the second last. I mentioned something to the crewmember and he said “oh I even get confused as we have several versions of this aircraft. We are waiting to get rid of these ones”. I said ah this is one of the old Air France ones and he said yes, you know more than I do.

I settled in and my jacket was taken and a pre-departure beverage was offered of water, orange juice or champagne. No surprises then when I accepted a glass of bubbly.

The business cabin on this aircraft is configured 2-2-2 in 6 rows in the forward cabin and the same with 2 rows behind the galley before economy started.
In the back section of 12 seats there were 4 passengers seated as the doors closed at 23:50; sweet no one next to me.

An amenity kits of sorts was handed out, that consisted of a pair of socks, eyeshade and earplugs in a paper envelope with words to the effect that it is a green amenity kit. If we desired anything else we should ask the crew. In the loo there was some hand cream especially designed for Finnair that was blueberry scented.

Newspapers were offered from the trolleys that the cabin rolled through the aisles.

The captain announced a flight time of 11 hours and 15 minutes and we should arrive on schedule into Singapore. The chief purser also made her announcement as we pushed back at 23:55 and the safety demonstration was played on the IFE.

As we lined up on the runway for take off the crew were still up and about but then the Captain asked them to be seated. We sat a minute or so more before starting our take off run at 00:05.
It was still dusk outside and I as able to view some lovely images of the perpetually setting sun on the Finnish skyline as we took off.

After take off the menu and wine list were handed out along with a hot towel. I went to the loo and changed into my LX PJ bottoms and a t-shirt and on return to my seat a crewmember asked if I would like her to hang my clothes. Well that is a first for a business cabin. I thanked her and she took them away.

It was a little chilly so I grabbed the nice thick quilt from the locker overhead and wrapped it over my legs.
I took the headset out of their packet and realised it was a proper noise cancelling type and fired up the IFE. There was a limited selection of movies, perhaps 15 or so and maybe twice as many CDs that were AVOD.

I chose some music and was able to watch the seat map on the bulkhead mounted video unit.
We flew out over Russia with the dawn/dusk off to the left of the aircraft out my window. It made for some lovely viewing and I was able to see St Petersburg below at one point.

The meal service began with trolleys being wheeled to the back to begin and then moved forward. I don’t know if that is because the back are the ‘leg space’ seats or because the back was lightly loaded or indeed this is normal given the galley was in front of row 7.

On offer for tonight’s late dinner was:

DINNER
Fresh salad

Velvety sweet potato soup

Sea bass fried in lemon butter on a bed of stewed fennel
Mediterranean tortellini in pesto cream sauce
Grilled spring chicken with port wine sauce, chevre risotto

Cheeses
Black gouda, Brie

Cappuccino and caramel pastry
Fresh fruit

Coffee, avec

Cappuccino, espresso and a selection of teas are also available

WINES

Joseph Perrier Cuvee Royale Brut Vintage 2000, Champagne, France

Joseph Perrier, the son of wine merchant Francois-Alexandre, established the champage house of Joseph Perrier File et Cie in 1825. Joseph Perrier Cuvee Royale Brut Vintage 2000 is a blend of 15 grands crus and uses three grape varieties (50% Chardonnay, 45% Pinot Noir, 5% Pinot Meunier), matured in cellars for up to eight years. Joseph Perrier 2000 is beautifully crafted, presenting a round and well-balanced taste, from a fruity start through to notes of spices and hints of patisserie in the finish. Aromas of pear and flavours of peach dominate, creating a stylish and fresh character for this champagne. This champagne offers moments of true pleasure.

WIHTE WINES
Pierre Andre Chassagne Montrachet 2009, AOX Chassagne Montrachet Bourgogne, France
Chassagne-Montrachet in the Cote de Beaune is famous for great white wines. Situated in the heart of the village of Chassagne Montrachet, with the vineyards of 40 years on average. Pierre Andre wines are made with 100% Chardonnay grapes. The colour is golden with green reflections. The nose expresses itself with notes of fresh apricot, yellow fruits and white flowers, with a touch of vanilla. It opens on more toasted notes stemming from ageing in oak barrels. On the palate, the wine is full-bodied and creamy with smooth minerality. Well-balanced and dense. This classic white wine goes well with all kinds of seafood.

Hardys Nottage Hill Riesling 2009, South Eastern Australia
Nottage Hill wines are known for their consistency, approachable style and balance. The 2009 Nottage Hill Riesling was crafted from Riesling parcels from premium vineyards in South Australia, including Clare Valley, a name synonymous with Riesling, and from the cool region of Padthaway, on the Limestone Coast. Hardys Nottage Hill Riesling is made form 100% Riesling grapes. The colour is intense light green. The nose is fresh with concentrated lemon and lime aromas with an underlying hint of spice. The taste is slightly mineral with floral aromas. The fruit character is of great length. Fresh lemon and lime dominate the palate with crisp, racy acidity and a touch of minerality. This wine goes well with salmon and pasta.

RED WINE
Chateau Fontesteau 2003, Cru Bourgeois, Haut-Medoc, Bordeaux, France
Chateau Fontesteau is included in the Medoc Cru Bourgeois classification. The history of this estate, situated in the vicinity of Pauillac, dates back as far as the 14th century. The wine is composed of these grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon (61%), Merlot (24%), Cabernet Franc (12%) and Petit Verdot (3%). The vines average between 25 and 30 years in age. The wine is matured for 12 months in oak barrels, 30% of which are new. The year 2003 was a great vintage, remembered for a particularly warm summer, which resulted in small harvest but made the wines full bodied and strong. Chateau Fontesteau 2003 is somewhat developed and deep red in colour. The taste is rich, long, warm, balanced and full of fruit and berries. This wine is an excellent companion for fowl and meat dishes, game and cheeses. The wine is at its best now.

Avignonesi Desiderio Cortona Merlot 2007, DOC Cortona, Tuscany, Italy
Avignonesi is one of Italian Tuscany’s leading wine producers. The wine is made from 85% Merlot and 15% Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. Harvesting is done manually by collecting the best grapes from the vineyeard. Ageing is in new barrique oak casks for at least 18 months and refinement in bottles for nine months. This wine is considered to be amongst the best merlot-based wines in Italy. 2007 was an excellent vintage. The colour is ruby red. The nose is sophisticated and aromatic with aromas of dark berries. The taste is full-bodied, opulent, harmonious, round and slightly evolved with blueberries. It is well-balanced, rich and long lasting with hints of port-like sweetness and French oak. Serving suggestions: roast and grilled meat, game and mature cheeses.

SWEET WINES
Lenz Moser Prestige Beerenauslese 2008, Burgenland, Austria
The Lenz Moser name is firmly linked with wine-growing in Austria. The current Lenz Moser estate winery in Rohrendorf near Krems, is first mentioned in an official document as early as 1040. The grape varieties used are Samling, Bouvier, Welschriesling and Chardonnay. The colour is brilliant yellow with shimmers of fold. The nose has remarkable bouquet with hints of botrytis, aromas of exotic fruits and honey-like fragrance. The taste is sweet, harmonious and well balanced with aromas of golden raisins and toasted almonds. This sweet wine has a wonderful play of sugar and acidity with a long finish of distinguished harmony (who writes this stuff). It is a perfect match with foie gras, blue cheese, desserts, chocolate and puddings.

Niepoort Colheita 1998, Port Portugal Niepoort (Vinhos) S.A.
Colheitas are dated tawnies aged in small casks. The minimum age requirement is seven years, but the tradition at Niepoort is to age several more years in the casks before bottling. Niepoort Colheita 1998 shows great character, fruit and concentration. This port is made from vines more than 60 years old. The grape varieties used are Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinto Cao, Tinta Francisca, Tinta Amarela, Sousao and Tinta Roritz. The colour of Niepoort Colheita 1998 is brick red with some orange/brown hues. It has a delightful vinous bouquet well integrated with the aroma of dried fruits. The wine is full-bodied and the palate has great freshness along wit subdued dried apricots and figs, leading to a lengthy spirity finish. This port wine is wonderful on its own at the end of a meal of with cheese or sweet desserts.

BEVERAGES
Renault Carte d’Argent XO Cognac
Chivas Regal 18-years-old Blended Scotch Whisky
Glenfiddich Solera Reserve 15-years-old Single Malt Whisky
Calvados Roger Groult 20 ans d’age

Finlandia Vodka
Bombay Sapphire Gine (sic)
Barcardi Carta Blanca

Cointreau Liqueur
Baileys Original Irish Cream
L&P Cloudberry Liqueur

Campari Bitter
Underberg Bitter

Olvi Export and Sandels Export Beer

NON-ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES
Mineral and Tonic Waters
Orange, Apple and Tomato Juice
Coca-Cola, Coca-Cola Light, Fanta and Sprite Soft Drinks
Bloody Mary Mix

The meal is served all at once, apart from the dessert, on the tray. When offered my choice of main I said I had pre-ordered online the Gourmet meal. The crew went off in search of my meal and a bit of a conflab was had in the galley. On the AY website they have a pre-order menu where you can select the meal choice prior to your flight and also ex-HEL a range of other options including the Gourmet meal that I had selected.

Eventually the crew found my meal and brought the tray to me stating that it had been loaded onto the wrong trolley. She asked if I would like some of the soup and when I agreed she poured some into a bowl. I was then asked if I would care for some wine and water. I went with the French red and some sparkling water.
As promised no beef, but I did choose the reindeer.

The soup was lovely as most are on a plane.

The salad was fresh and tasty with the balsamic dressing.

The reindeer was beautifully pink inside and very tender. In a reversal of the norm it was the star of the show and the vegetables were only so-so.

Bread was offered and more wine and bread made their way past my seat as I sat enjoying the meal and watching the dawn/dust and Russian landscape pass by beneath me.

The tray was cleared and I was asked if I would care for fruit or the dessert. I couldn’t resist the cappuccino dessert, a cup of coffee and some of the luscious dessert wine.

After the meal I set the seat down into its slopey bed position that wasn’t too much of a slope on this aircraft. I had a fitful nights sleep that wasn’t hindered by the bed but by my being ‘awake’. Late in the flight I did actually get some decent sleep though and was woken around 2 hours and fifteen minutes out of Singapore when the lights were turned on. One annoyance during the night was the constant rattling of something in the overhead panel.

I was asked if I got some sleep by the crew as they handed out a hot towel.

I sat myself upright as the crew got ready for the breakfast service.

BREAKFAST
Vegetable crepes, bratwurst sausages and fava beans in tomato sauce
Fresh fruit
Breakfast muesli, yoghurt

There were no choices for breakfast apart from do you want any or not.
The service started from the front this time and worked back towards the four of us holding up the rear. Again the whole deal was served on the tray at once.

The crepes were particularly nice and I washed the meal down with some apple juice.

The meal was done and dusted and cabin cleared at least 1 hours and 25 minutes prior to landing. The crew then all sat about the galley eating their own breakfast.

We flew into Singapore on time and landed at 16:10 and made a lengthy taxi to the gate.

This flight on Finnair was a combination of good and bad, the hard product is now very dated and the IFE pretty weak. However the crew were very personable and lovely and the food and wine were excellent. The only soft product change I would make is for them to stop serving the whole meal in one go. The main course got a little cold whilst I was eating the salad a soup.

I thanked the crew and left the aircraft and made the long walk up to the QF/BA lounge complex. QF announced a few weeks back that they were refurbishing the lounges in Singapore and they have changed the lounge access. First, Business and OW Emerald now use the old Business class lounge and OW Sapphire use the old First lounge.

I was invited inside the Business lounge, the first time for me in years. I asked about a shower and was directed to the rear of the lounge. An attendant their offered amenities and sent me off into a shower room.

After a refreshing shower, albeit without much in the way of water pressure, and a change of clothes made me feel like new. Now only a 3 and half hour wait and another 7 hours on a plane before reaching my destination.

The lounge was quite large and had two food stations with soup, salad and anti pasta and of course the ice cream bar. The champagne in the lounge was my new friend Joseph Perrier and there was a selection of 3 white and 3 red wines all from Oz.

I surfed a while and decided to go wander the duty free stores for a while stopping to pick up a bottle of bubbly. I then went back up to the lounge and re-entered. Oh dear it was heaving with people but I did manage to secure a spot at a table near one of the buffet areas. The food offerings had increased to include Vegetable curry, Noodles with mushroom, Spaghetti Bolognese, Spring Rolls and Chicken Drumlet Kara Sticks.

I grabbed a bite and a glass of Shiraz and snapped a couple of quick shots amongst the hoards. I left the lounge early again and made my way towards the gate. The flight was showing as boarding but it was still an hour before take off time. I decided to give on the priority pass lounges a whirl for something different. The rainforest lounge is upstairs near the start of the pier with the 20s gates. Inside I was told the food and non-alcoholic beverages were complimentary but I would have to pay for alcoholic drinks at the bar.

The lounge was pretty basic with some soup, noodles and sandwiches on offer along with juices, coffee and tea and other soft drinks.

After a short stay that satisfied my curiosity I made my way down to the gate.

There was no priority entrance to the security screening so I joined the lengthy queue. Security was painless after which my BP and PP were checked by SIN immigration officers. My BP was then scanned by the airline ground staff and I was welcomed by name. I made my way to the front of the lounge and found a seat near the doors.

After a 15 minute wait the doors opened and the wheel chair brigade made their way down to the plane.

An announcement was then made that boarding would commence shortly and any passengers with small children could board now along with the usual 50% of the lounge via the First, Business class and OW elites. The duty free guys arrived just in time and I was able to grab my bubbly and join the queue right at the door.

I made my way down to the aircraft avoiding the door 1 entrance in favour of the door 2 that where I could just go straight up the stairs.

Flight AY5915 (BA0015) SIN-SYD Seat 62A
Departure time: 19:55

I was greeted and invited to go up the stairs. There was no one about when I got up there so I made my way to my seat and got myself unpacked. A crewmember appeared from the cockpit and took my jacket.

Amenity kits with Elemis products were handed out and pre-departure beverages of orange juice, water or champagne were offered. Bubbly was the chosen option of course.

The menus were handed out before take off and the captain announced a short flight time of 6 hours and 35 minutes.

We pushed back at 19:56 and taxied out to the runway for a take off time of 20:14.

Once the belt sign was extinguished the crew got about the business of getting us fed and watered. One of the two upper deck crew did a drinks round whilst the other zig-zagged around the cabin taking meal orders, I presume by status.

The CSD dropped by with immigration and customs cards for Australia but didn’t greet by name or indeed introduce herself.

For my drinks with nuts I chose the now standard scotch and dry and was amused as usual (small things I know) when offered the Jonny Black or the Single Malt. Please a single malt with a mixer!

Lets see what was on offer for dinner tonight:

DINNER
STARTERS

Thai-style crab salad
Roast peppers with Ricotta

SALAD
Fresh seasonal salad served with vinaigrette

MAIN
Grilled fillet steak marinated in red wine with asparagus, carrots and celeriac mash
Seared breast of chicken with penne pasta in mushroom cream sauce
Pumpkin curry in coconut sauce
Chilled main course Greek salad with balsamic olive oil dressing

DESSERT
Double chocolate cake with vanilla sauce
A selection of cheese
A selection of fruit

WINES
CHAMPAGNE

CHAMPAGNE COCKTAILS
Kir Royale
Crème de Cassis gives this cocktail its distinctive taste

Buck’s Fizz
Crisp dry champagne and naturally sweet orange juice

Taittinger Brut Reserve NV Champagne
Champagne Taittinger’s origin date back to 1734, and today it is one of the few Champagne Houses to be owned and actively managed by the family named on the label; Pierre Taittinger acquired the House in the early 1930’s. Taittinger Brut Reserve characterises the House style, which uses a high percentage of Chardonnay in the blend. Such Chardonnay dominance helps create a style of delicacy and finesse that merits the Gold Medal awarded at the Decanter World Wine Awards 2010. Its lean palate has considerable depth and elegance with a long, fresh finish making it a perfect aperitif.

WHITE
Chablis 1er Cru Cote de Lechet 2010, Domaine Jean-Marc Brocard, Burgundy, France
This is fine premier cru, dry, crisp and thirst quenching. Marked by the fresh citrusm, mineral, and seashell notes that are associated with the classic 1er Cru Chablis, this one also has a distinctively moreish lemon syllabub character. It is produced by a top Domaine undergoing conversion to biodynamic production, hence the ladybird on the label. It pairs well with the salads, while meats and seafood dishes.

Pemberly Sauvignon Blanc 2011, Pemberton, Western Australia.
A bright, fresh, zingy, wine with stacks of grassy, gooseberry Sauvignon fruit made by cult winemaker Rob Bowen. The 2011 has just garnered its first fold of the 2012 award season in Singapore, surely the first of many. Pemberton is a new wine area 335 km south of Perth in the southwest corner of the continent. Equally as good served as an aperitif as it is paired with any of our fish dishes.

RED
Chateau Faugeres 2007, Saint-Emilion Grand Cru, Bordeaux, France.
2007 is a vintage known for its pronounced fruit flavours, and this example is no exception. It is rich in black cherry and bramble fruit characters, dense tannins, vanilla, liquorice, cigar and coffee notes. An intensely aromatic blend of Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon that has been aged for 14 months in a mix of new and used French oak barrels to create a complexity and charm worthy of 90 points from wine critic Robert Parker. Enjoy it with the steak.

The Gentleman, Cabernet Sauvignon 2010, Eden Valley, South Australia.
2010 was a fantastic vintage for Eden Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. Produced by the youthful Teusner estate, which has already been rated five stars by local wine authority, James Halliday, The Gentleman is no exception. The concentrated blackberry, blackcurrant and cassis flavours, combined with layers of espresso, mocha, liquorice and eucalyptus, demonstrate why. Intense and full bodied, it is perfect to savour on its own or with cheese or spicy dishes.

THE BAR
APERITIFS AND COCKTAILS

Campari
Martini Dry
Cointreau
Southern Comfort
Smirnoff Blue
Messenes Crème de Cassis
Tanqueray
Gordon’s Gin
Tia Maria
Baileys
Tio Pepe
Bacardi

WHISKIES
Glenlivet 15-year-old Malt
Jack Daniel’s
Johnnie Walker Black
Drambuie 15-year-old Speyside Malt Liqueur

COGNAC
Otard VSOP Cognac

BEER
Grolsch Premium
Fuller’s London Pride
Heineken

SOFT DRINKS
Coca-Cola
Diet Coca-Cola
Sprite
Sparkling Mineral Water
Tonic Water
Canada Dry
Bitter Lemon
Diet Tonic
Fanta Orange
Still Mineral Water
Soda Water

JUICES
Apple
Tomato
Orange
Cranberry

TWININGS TEA ROOM
A selection of refreshing teas and infusions including: English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Pure Green, Peppermint, Camomile and Cranberry, Raspberry and Elderflower

Ground Coffee
Decaffeinated Coffee

I began with the crab salad that was served on the tray with the green salad. The crab salad had small container of thai style sauce to go with it and the green salad had the rapeseed and balsamic dressing.

Both of these starter items were acceptable in quality and taste.

Hold on to your hats but I chose the chicken for the main course and it was indeed quite tender and juicy and very satisfying indeed. Along with both courses I was drinking the Sauvignon Blanc white wine that was perfectly acceptable.

I opted for the dessert over the cheese when offered and it was washed down with a Baileys on ice.

I fired up the IFE and watched a movie filled with relics set in a relic of a building in India. It was most enjoyable.

After the movie it was time to see if I could get some more kip before landing in Sydney. I had already changed into my LX F daks and a t-shirt so I laid the seat back down and bounced around on the spring board for a while, ah this is BA’s Olympic efforts huh, the BA spring board bed marathon. The BA J seat, although many rave about it I don’t; I find it narrow and constricted and too short unless you score one of the select seats with unlimited legroom. When made into the bed the top half of the bed bounces up and down as you put pressure on it. In the night as you roll over it keeps bouncing up and down and is a right pain.

I did get some sleep during the night but needed to get up to grab water a couple of times until the crew member gave me a bottle of water.

BREAKFAST
STARTERS

Chilled fruit juice

An energising fruit smoothie

Fresh fruit

Cereal with chilled milk

BAKERY
Warm bacon roll
A selection of warm breads and breakfast pastries

Lights on with 1 hour and 40 minutes to go to Sydney and the crew came around with a hot towel. The breakfast service then began with the offer of juice or a smoothie. The smoothie was like no other I had experienced on BA. It was not the consistency of paint and seemed to be like buttermilk with honey in it. It was nice, none the less, and I didn’t have any trouble knocking it back.

The breakfast tray came with a fruit plate and I was asked if I would like some cereal. What appeared was in fact a rather sweet strawberry bircher muesli.

After the fruit and cereal disappeared I was offered one of the infamous bacon sandwiches.

We seemed to go on a circuitous route to get into SYD, I suspect chewing up time so that we didn’t arrive until after the curfew was lifted. We landed from the south in what looked like it was going to be a water landing but the runway appeared below us just in time. A quick pull up and a short taxi to our gate and we were parked by 05:10.

I made the long walk to immigrations and used the smart gate again without issue. I then waited in the baggage hall for around 10 minutes before the belt started to move. My bag was one of the first dozen or so out and I was soon on my way outside via the customs inspection. The customs official directed me down the lane that lead straight outside.

I tossed up whether to use a taxi or the train service and opted in the end for the latter. I made my way down to the station and purchased a ticket. The train was along within a few minutes and 15 minutes later I popped out of the stairs at St James station under Hyde Park. I could see the Sheraton hotel across the street to my left. Two minutes walk later I entered the Sheraton at 06:00. Not bad from an international flight that pulled up to the gate only 50 minutes earlier.

As expected a room wasn’t ready for my but the agent took my bag into storage and gave me a key to use the gym for a shower and freshen up. He said I could use the executive lounge when it opened at 07:00 and they would let me know when a room was cleaned and ready for me.

After a refreshing shower I headed back down to the lobby and watched the morning new program on the TV until 07:00. I then checked in with front desk agent who informed me that my room was ready.

More Photos

Last edited by Moomba; Jun 17, 2012 at 5:13 pm
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Part 7 SYD-HKG

I woke early due to slight jet lag combined with overindulgence the night before and made an update to my report. I showered and checked out by 07:50 and grabbed a taxi to the airport. It was fairly swift until we got to the road leading up to the airport when we came to a standstill. We crawled along at a snails pace and it took at least 30 minutes to do the last couple of kilometres. My cab fare was at least 20 dollars over what it would normally be.

We eventually made it to the airport and I forked out the cash and made my way inside. QF have a walled off section at SYD that is used for First passengers. Inside there are some seats where one can fill out their emigration cards and in my case grab something from my suitcase that I needed on the flight.

I was checked in quickly and given an express path card for outbound and one for inbound as well.

I entered the express path door and lined up for emigration that was a quick and painless affair. Security was next where there was a short queue and I escaped unscathed or so I thought until I was selected for the swab treatment. I gave the usual monosyllabic answers to the questions and nothing more to the agent.

Finally free of the farce I then was forced to navigate the duty free maze and was decidedly grumpy by the time I made my way up the escalator to the First lounge.

My mood didn’t improve much once inside as the place was positively heaving. There were passengers for the LAX, JNB QF flights along with a CX flight to HKG a codeshare with Asiana to ICN and a codeshare with Vietnam Airlines to Ho Chi Min. I was not able to secure a seat for breakfast and opted to sit at the bar watching the chefs at work in the kitchen. I ordered some OJ and coffee and the wonderful eggs benedict. The guy next to me tried to start a conversation but grumpy bum here wasn’t having any of that it quickly died.

The OJ was lovely and freshly squeezed and the eggs were as lovely as ever although they got cold very quickly. The coffee took its time to appear and only showed up after I was half way through the meal.

After the meal I decamped to a section of the lounge looking over gate 24 where my aircraft was parked. I noticed that it was the infamous Nancy-Bird Walton that had the incident over Indonesia back into service only 6 weeks ago with four new engines and wing repairs along with 6km of wiring having been replaced.

After IMing with a friend for a while it was time to head on down to the gate. Just as I was going down the escalators the lounge agents made the call for the flight. Gate 24 was a short walk away and on arrival the rest of the madding crowd had already boarded and I was able to walk straight up to the agent who scanned my BP and wished me a pleasant flight.

I walked down the ramp and through the door marked First.

Flight QF00127 SYD-HKG Seat 2A
Aircraft: 380-800
Departure time: 11:40

I was welcomed on board and directed to my seat. As soon as I got to the seat a crewmember took my jacket and returned to offer me a drink. Well you all know what I asked for and had been eagerly awaiting. He returned with a plate of wasabi peas & almonds and another with olives and the champagne flute. He returned soon after and presented the bottle of Comtes de Champagne to me. I said my usual ‘died and gone to heaven’ routine and he laughed and poured me some of the delicious nectar.

Mmmm, mmm that first sip is heavenly. The crewmember said there is plenty on board so enjoy.

He came back shortly after with an amenity kit and some PJs.
A hot towel was handed out on the ground before pushing back at 10:40 exactly. My fabulous crewmember returned and filled up my glass with more of the nectar of the gods.

As we taxied out the crew did a manual safety demonstration to accompany the IFE version. The captain then did his welcome speech and announced a flight time of 8 hours and 50 minutes. Oh how lovely a nice long flight today.

We taxied right out into Botany Bay and turned for our take off run just after an AC 777 took to the skies.

We started our run at 10:57 and I was forced to remember how quiet these babies are. You could hardly hear any engine noise as we took to the skies on a beautiful sunny morning over Sydney.

Once airborne I tried to move my seat from the forward position to the angled position towards the window. No dice. Not again, I think this is the third time I have had a dodgy seat on the 380. Nothing worked apart from the IFE. The shades did not go up and down the seat didn’t move but the lights were working. I tried the manual buttons under the control unit but still no go. The call bell didn’t work either so I walked down to the galley and informed my man of my dilemma. He said I will have a look for you. He came to my seat a moment later and said he reset the seat and to wait a few minutes and all should be in order. Alas once the seat was back online it still refused to budge.

He said wait a minute and I will sort something out for you. I looked around the cabin and realised all 12 seats were occupied. Oh dear yet again I am going to kick out a staffer from their seat.
The CSM dropped by and shook my hand and introduced himself. He handed me a landing card for Hong Kong.

Sure enough my crewmember came back and said I can move you to 5 Foxtrot, it is not a window seat but it does work. Is that OK? I said sure but again the guilt set in at having to kick someone out of their seat.

I collected my gear and walked down to the seat and waited for the occupant to vacate. I settled in and the crew member asked me if everything was OK and all was in order.

He said I will bring you a glass of champagne to which I had no argument. Menu cards were handed out and I was disappointed to find that they do not do the tasting menu on this flight.

The canapés appeared next and were delicious as too were the second helpings that were delivered a short while later. My bubbly was refilled again and again until I was asked what I would like for lunch.

SYDNEY TO HONG KONG
LUNCH
CANAPES

Tartlet of Beetroot and Goats Cheese
Spiced Lamb Pancake Rolls with Chilli Sauce

SALADS AND OTHER THINGS
Roasted Carrot and Thyme Soup with Dill Crème Fraiche
Yamba Prawns, Radish and Zucchini Salad with Lemon Dressing
Salad of Lonza and Arbequina Olives with Balsamic Vinaigrette

LIGHT MEALS
Pan Fried Snapper Fillet with Lemon and Olive Oil Dressing and Steamed Vegetables
Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella Pizzeta
Wok Fried Mushrooms with White Noodles
Lamb and Potato Shepherd’s Pie
Our signature Steak Sandwich with Tomato and Chilli Relish

MAIN COURSES
Spiced Butternut Pumpkin, Chickpea and Coconut Curry with Cauliflower and Roti
Pan Fried Snapper Filled with Braised Fennel and Green Shallots, Olive Potatoes and Romesco
Roasted Chicken Breast with Celeriac Gratin, Snow Peas, Balsamic, Pear and Walnut Jus
Grass Fed Sirloin with Port Wine Sauce, Jerusalem Artichokes and Creamed Silverbeet
Hot, Sweet, Sour and Numbing Kurobata Pork, Stir Fried Snake Beans and Fragrant Rice

SIDE SALAD
Salad of Baby Cos, Radicchio and Frisee with your choice of dressing
Aged Balsamic and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh Lemon Juice and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Palm Sugar Vinaigrette

CHEESE
Blue, soft and hard cheese, hand selected by Will Studd, Maitre Fromager, Calendar Cheese Company, served with accompaniments

DESSERT
White Chocolate and Quince Trifle
Apple, Ricotta and Hazelnut Torte with Cinnamon Crème Anglaise
Nice Cream Chocolate Coated Raspberry Ice Cream
Whole or Sliced Fresh Seasonal Fruit

PETITS FOURS
A selection of Cacao hand made chocolates
Mocha Melting Moments
Orange and Pecan Cakes

WINE LIST
WHITE WINE

Stonier KBS Chardonnay 2008, Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
In 1978. Brian Stonier and his wife Noel established the Stonier vineyard in the coastal town of Merricks, one hour southeast of Melbourne, ten minutes from the challenging surf beaches of Bass Straight. Decades later, the name Stonier is widely recongnised as a producer of exceptional Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. This single vineyard wine is their flagship Chardonnay with grapes sourced entirely from the cool east facing KBS Vineyard. The wine has a lovely line of natural mineral-like acid and shows some nice persistence and power on the palate which will build with medium term bottle age.

Tyrells “Vat 1” Hunter Semillon 2005, Hunter Valley, New South Wales
2005 was an outstanding vintage. A blend of the ages is found in this astonishing drop created, in the main, from two vineyards – one planted in 1908, the other in the early 1960’s. Originally named Hunter Valley Riesling, the fruit for this trophy winner was picked at relatively low levels of sweetness. It offers up a striking, super-fine perfume and a gentle, minerally finish. Lemon and lime are the major players in this exquisite Semillon.

Henschke Lenswood “Coralinga” Sauvignon Blanc 2010, Adelaide, South Australia
Grown at the Henschke Coulter Vineyard at Lenswood in the Adelaide Hills, near the heart of the South Mount Lofty Ranges. A refreshing passionfruit, citrus and gooseberry wine with flinty mineral aromas following up, this is a distinctive regional Sauvignon Blanc from a grand winery, delivering complexity and true excellence.

RED WINE
Castagna Genesis Syrah 2008, Beechworth, Victoria
An iconic Australian wine. Winemaker Julian Castagna perhaps best sums up the style as “Very much a Pinot lovers Shiraz”. Whilst Australia has justifiably earnt a reputation for its full-bodied Shiraz, Castagna demonstrate that Australia is also capable of producing Shiraz of elegance and restraint.

‘Genesis Syrah deserves its icon status.’ James Halliday
Yabby Lake Vineyard Pinot Noir 2009. Mornington Peninsula Victoria
A truly outstanding wine. Inspired by the classic wines of Burgundy, Yabby Lake Vineyard wines are a tribute to the unique Mornington Peninsula terroir, and the skills and experience of winemaker Tom Carson. This wine exhibits a great depth of colour. The bouquet is of ripe black cherry, dark forest berries and Asian spice with perfumed oak aromas. The palate displays a complex array of ripe small berry characters and spicy oak.

Woodlands ‘Alma May’ Cabernet Sauvignon 2009, Margaret River, Western Australia
This winery has been going through something of a renaissance in recent years and is increasingly being viewed as one of the region’s best. This wine is beautiful, delicate and pretty. Lovely ripe fruit shows cherry and strawberry highlights. The tannins are remarkably fine and integrated. There is excellent length of flavour. A lovely drink.

DESSERT WINE
Mount Horrocks Cordon Cut Riesling 2010, Clare Valley, South Australia
An outstanding dessert wine. A thoroughly delectable experience that takes you on a journey through ripe lime essence of orange marmalade. Lively and full of flavour.

HOT BEVERAGES
VITTORIA CINQUE STELLE COFFEE

Café Latte
Cappuccino
Espresso
Flat White
Long Black
Mocha
Liqueur Coffee
Decaffeinated
Other blends available on request
VITTORIA CHOCCOCHINO HOT CHOCOLATE

T2 TEA

Experience the beautiful fragrant loose leaf tea bags from around the world, supplied by T2.
English Breakfast – A blend of finest the Sri Lankan full bodied teas produce a rich and well rounded flavour.
Earl Grey – A full bodied Sri-Lankan blend of Ceylon orange pekoe and generous amounts of bergamot, producing an all-time classic tea
Peppermint – A well rounded peppermint flavour captures the sweet essence of all things ‘minty’ with a sweet, cool lingering aroma.
Chamomile – Relax and unwind with this fragrant infusion of sweet golden chamomile flowers.
Sencha – A classic green tea grown in Japan. These beautiful emerald green leaves produce a sweet, smooth grassy flavour.
Lemongrass and Ginger – Zesty and bright lemongrass contrasts the spicy flavour of ginger to create a wild taste sensation.
Other teas are available on request.

BEVERAGES
APERITIFS

Bloody Mary
Campari
Noilly Prat French Dry Vermouth

SPRIRTS
Bacardi White Rum
Bundaberg Dark Rum
Bombay Sapphire London Dry Gin
Chivas Regal 18yo Scotch Whisky
The Glenlivet 18yo Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Wild Turkey Rare Breed 108° Bourbon
Wyborowa Polish Vodka

BEER
Little Creatures Pale Ale
Crown Larger
James Squire Golden Age
Heineken
Hahn Premium Light

LIQUEURS
Baileys Irish Cream
Cointreau

FORTIFIEDS
Your flight Attendant will advise whether today’s menu features Penfolds Grandfather Fine Old Liqueur Tawny or Grant Burge 20yo Tawny
Morris of Rutherglen Old Premium Liqueur Tokay
Morris of Rutherglen Old Premium Liqueur Muscat

COGNAC
Martell Cordon Bleu

NON ALCOHOLIC
Apple Juice
Orange Juice
Mango Juice
Pear Juice
Spicy Tomato Juice
Tomato Juice
Appletiser Sparkling Apple Juice
Bundaberg Ginger Beer
Coca-Cola
Coke Zero
Diet Coke
Lemonade
Lemon Squash
Ginger Ale
Soda Water
Tonic Water
Sparkling Mineral Water
Still Mineral Water

The CSM dropped by again and apologised for the faulty seat.
After another glass of the nectar of the gods my table was set for lunch.
I decided to start with the soup and it was very nice indeed.

Next up the steak that although a little overcooked for my taste, was exceedingly tasty and so too were the accompanying vegetables. I switched to the Cabernet Sauvignon for the meal and it was beautifully smooth and full of flavour.

After the main plates were removed the seatbelt sign came on and the captain asked all passengers and crew to take their seats. Due to some clear air turbulence we would be in for a bumpy ride for the next 40 minutes.

I got out my laptop and started to work on this report. As soon as the belt sign was off the crewmember looking after me was back to ask if I cared for cheese or dessert. I said I would try the torte and a glass of the sticky.

Both were delivered soon after and by the time I was done with these I was full up to pussy’s bow.

The other crewmember came by and filled my water glass, twice in quick succession and also dropped by with a bottle of water.

My crewmember came back a while later with the box of chocolates and convinced me to take one of each, ‘They only go to waste if you don’t eat them.’ I ordered a double espresso to go with these little delectables.

I have been watching skycam and listening to 1 track in my playlist for the last two and a half hours so I think it is time to stop being morose and find some more music to listen to. Be back laters peeps.

Well I sort of half dozed and listened to my now extended playlist for the remainder of the flight. The crew were around asking if I wanted anything to drink or eat before we landed and I opted for a double espresso and no more food.

My crewmember had promised me some service recovery in the form of a bottle of something from the galley but it never showed up which really soured the end of the flight for me. Don’t offer and not deliver it is worse than not offering in the first place.

Around an hour before landing I changed back into my civvies and spent the remainder of the flight reading my book and listening to my playlist.
We touched down at 17:42 and taxied up to the gate. Door 1L was opened a short while later and I departed and made my way up to immigrations. The queues were quite long but moved relatively swiftly. Once I got to the front I was placed behind a woman who had some sort of paper visa that took the officer an age to deal with. OK great the icing in the cake in what has been a spectacularly poor day of travelling for me. Any more like this and I may be cured of my addiction.

My bag was on the carousel when I finally made it out and I purchased a round trip on the AEX to take me into Kowloon.
The train arrived just as I approached the platform, well at least one thing worked in my favour today. Soon enough I was negotiating my way through the crowds of the elements shopping centre and into the W hotel.

At check-in I asked if my upgrade had a partial harbour view and was told it didn’t. I said the room I booked had a partial harbour view. They said they were sorry but the suites they offer as upgrades don’t have harbour views. I said so I could have just booked the cheapest room and still got the same upgrade. They were forced to agree this was the case. Oh well lesson learned and a perfect ending to this rotten day.

If anyone doesn't understand why I am so aggrieved about losing my window seat, I just checked my Flight Memory stats and of the 681 flights I have recorded all but 12 of these were window seats.

If CX disappoint me on my next flight I think I will retire.

Last edited by Moomba; Jun 18, 2012 at 1:34 am
Old Jun 18, 2012, 2:03 am

Programs: AF Plat Ultimate, BA GGL, MS Elite
Where to start ?

Man you re the best out there !

Thank you so much for taking your time off to make one of the best report I've ever read !

ps ; My wife told me, honey if you spend so much time like this guy, I will get divorced.... She did read you upon my shoulder....

A bientot.

Have you planned yet your next RTW ?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: IC Amb, Marriott Silver, KF Silver, MPC Silver
Wow. Just wow, Thank you so much Moomba for your monumental achievement in Trip reporting!
Old Jun 19, 2012, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milesaddict
Where to start ?

Man you re the best out there !

Thank you so much for taking your time off to make one of the best report I've ever read !

ps ; My wife told me, honey if you spend so much time like this guy, I will get divorced.... She did read you upon my shoulder....

A bientot.

Have you planned yet your next RTW ?
Ah well there are some advantages to flying this life solo.

My next RTW is in its embryonic stages at the moment. Early days yet.

Originally Posted by coffeeblack
Wow. Just wow, Thank you so much Moomba for your monumental achievement in Trip reporting!
Thank you both for your encouragement. I was beginning to think I am losing everyone.

In SFO AC now after having got off the CX flight from HKG. Hopefully the next instalment will be up later.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: Too many...
Moomba, yet another superb installment... ^

Very much looking forward to hearing about the next leg.

J
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
You haven't lost me - I LOVE your trip reports!
Good mix of pics and narrative. Next flight I'll have a scotch and dry in your honour (I'd prefer the tatty, but somehow don't think that will be served on an American eagle flight from RDU to JFK!)
Thanks for doing the report.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: LX, AZ, BA, LH, SA
Epic trip!! love your reports.
Pity you didn't get the Tasting Menu on your latest QF sector. But then flying on that specific A380 must have been an experience it itself!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyersj18
Moomba, yet another superb installment... ^

Very much looking forward to hearing about the next leg.

J
Thanks Flyersj18

Originally Posted by BigEyedFish
You haven't lost me - I LOVE your trip reports!
Good mix of pics and narrative. Next flight I'll have a scotch and dry in your honour (I'd prefer the tatty, but somehow don't think that will be served on an American eagle flight from RDU to JFK!)
Thanks for doing the report.
Thanks for that BigEyedFish. Funnily enough Scotch and Dry feature in my next update.

Originally Posted by hilltopper
Epic trip!! love your reports.
Pity you didn't get the Tasting Menu on your latest QF sector. But then flying on that specific A380 must have been an experience it itself!
Thank you hilltopper Indeed it was knowing what that bird had been through. I find it strange the HKG flight doesn't get the tasting menu as it is a longer flight than the SIN one that does get it.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Part 8 HKG-SFO-DFW

This trip just keeps getting better and better. I did the usual ‘I need 25 stays to retain Platinum with SPG’ and hotel hopped from the W to the Sheraton.
I caught the free shuttle bus provided by the MRT Airport Express gang. I was directed onto the K2 bus, which is the one I have always used. Off we went and did the usual stops until after the Peninsula (which is within spitting distance of the Sheraton) and we headed off back toward Kowloon station via the Langham and Ferry terminal. We rock back up at Kowloon and I said to driver no Sheraton he said No, Not Sheraton.
I headed back up to the boarding area and the guy again directs me to the K2 bus. I said I have just been on there and it didn’t stop at the Sheraton. Oh sorry just today we change you need K4, Sheraton is first stop.
So on the K4 and off I head again from Kowloon to the Sheraton.

I get myself checked in and settle in and decide to make my way up to the lounge for some pre-dinner drinks and nibbles. Before I go I make a loo stop, oh look no water in the toilets, it doesn’t flush. I head up to the lounge and told the towers agents my loo wasn’t working. Ah yes we have plumbing problem and it is being worked on we will let you know when it is fixed. Well thanks for telling me before I did a dump in my loo.

Hey well at least I have a nice harbour view at the STHK.

It seems suffering from jetlag was going to be a feature of this trip. It has not really been a problem in the past, as I don’t normally suffer. So it was I awoke at 05:00 on the morning of my flight to SFO. This is probably a blessing in disguise as it means I will sleep on the flight and get closer aligned with US time.

I headed upstairs for the awesome Sheraton Towers breakfast of poached egg on a muffin, grilled tomato and a minute steak.
I pottered around the room until it was time to make my way back to Kowloon station and on to the airport.

I checked out and made my way down to the bus stop. The downside of the new K4 route is that it is served by a smaller bus that doesn’t have luggage storage under the bus. Instead I had to cart my case on board and lift it onto the shelves. As the Sheraton is the first stop there were many bags destined for the hotels later down route. Next time I think I will catch the K4 out and the K2 from the Peninsula back to Kowloon. It is not that much further to drag a suitcase to that stop. It benefits from a full size bus with proper storage under the seats and only 2 more stops to get to Kowloon station.
Anyways back at Kowloon I head on down to the platform and a train arrives a little while later.

At the airport I make my way up to the CX F check-in podiums and the agent takes my passport whilst another takes my suitcase away. The agent checks my bag through to DFW and prints boarding passes for the CX flight and the connecting AA flight.

Security was next and was quick and painless, followed by emigration that was equally efficient. Pity it is not that quick on the way in!
The Wing F lounge is being refurbished so no short cut to the lounge this time and I head downstairs and along to gate 2 where the Wing business lounge entrance is. A gentleman takes my lounge invite and directs me upstairs to lounge or straight ahead for showers.

I head upstairs and turn right at the top of the stairs where there is a small separate area dedicated for First class passengers. No one challenges me when I head into this section. An attendant immediately approaches and asked if I would like something to drink. Well this wouldn’t be a Moomba report if I didn’t ask for champagne.
There were a few solus chairs along with some other seating in this section and I was pleased to still see the Piaget clock on the wall.

I sat in a solus chair and immediately noticed a gent over to my right having a major rant on the phone to CX about missing his flight. He was sitting in the First class section of the lounge, your staff knew I was here. Blah, blah, blah. He did go on some. All this despite the fact that he was sitting within 10 feet of the departure information screen and must have seen the boarding announcement if he bothered to look

After my bubbly it was getting on 12:30 and my thoughts turned to noodles. I head on down to the noodle bar and order myself some Dan Dan noodles, sorry Matt, I like em too. I took a seat and a couple of pics and my noodles were ready. Yummy!

After the noodles I decided to follow in matthandy’s footsteps again and order a steamed pork bun. I also grabbed some fried rice and dimsum. Everything was delicious and I washed it all down with Chateau O2.

After lunch I decided to head on down to the Cabin which is located at the gate next to the one my flight was due to leave from. Inside I found it to be quite crowded, much more so than the Wing.
I perched in a Solus chair and grabbed a coffee to wait it out.

Oh I forgot to mention that the flight posted a 25 minute delay due to late inbound. At around 40 minutes from the new departure time I made my way up to the gate.

The usual lengthy queues were forming at both the Business/First podium and the Y one.

Boarding eventually commenced at almost the new departure time. I waited for the queue to shorten and joined the tail end. I was scanned and joined the line of people waiting for the extra stupid US security check prior to boarding.

As I approached the security tables I noticed a few people being escorted by CX ground staff to the front of the queue. Nice that some F passengers get this treatment whilst I stood in the queue.

Anyway, let it wash over you Moomba and breathe.

My bag was searched for contraband liquid and I was allowed to make my way on board.

Flight CX0870 HKG-SFO Seat 2A
Departure time: 14:05

The Inflight Service Manager greeted me at the door and asked on of the crew to take Mr Moomba to his seat. The crewmember introduced herself and took me to my seat.
She took my jacket and hung it in my personal closet and extracted the pillow from the closet.

Would you care for some champagne? Yes please.

I was given some of the fabulous Shanghai Tang PJs and an amenity kit containing Acca Kappa products, a comb (lotta a good that does me!) , toothbrush etc.

A glass was delivered and the bottle of Krug was presented before me before pouring.

It has been a while since Krug passed by my lips and I was amazed at how different it was to the Comtes de Champagne on QF. It was less yeasty and had a more of a citrus overtone, eww listen to me Mr wine connoisseur.

Please stop me if I started describing my wines in terms of burnt gumboot or the like. It would be interesting to do the taste test of Krug, Dom and CdC in a side-by-side tasting. Maybe when I win the lottery I will do that.

The IFE was showing a flight time of 11 hours and 55 minutes. The Kiwi captain came on the horn and did his welcome speech and informed us of a flight time of 11 hours and 54 minutes. He apologised for the late departure as it was due to late in bound aircraft from Manila.

A hot towel was handed out along with the menus and the service was explained by the crew.

We pushed back 14:57 and taxied down the length of the runway before finally taking off at 15:15. There were some nice views to be had of Hong Kong as we flew out over city. I was able to clearly see the old Kai Tak airport foot print.

There were 7 of 9 in the first cabin this afternoon served by three wonderful crew from the Philippines and Hong Kong.

The service started with drinks and warm nuts and I went for champagne again of course.

The ISM dropped by with customs forms and welcomed me on board. The crew took my order for Lunch.

Lunch
Caviar and Balik

Caviar and Balik salmon “Tsar Nocolaj”

International Favourites
Tomato, orange and basil soup

Mixed salad with kwai fai chicken
Grilled US striploin with béarnaise sauce and green peppercorn sauce, mixed potatoes, herb roasted Portobello mushrooms and vine ripened tomato
Or
Mushroom and walnut agnolotti with pancetta, walnut and chanterelles mushroom cream sauce

Chinese Favourites
Papaya with pork, almond and peanut soup
Cold plate – bean curd with century egg and pork floss
Steamed cod with preserved mustard greens and Chinese olives
Or
Braised chicken with sliced abalone
Served with steamed jasmine rice, stir-fried baby pak choy with bean curd skin

Cheese and Dessert
Shropshire Blue, Tilsit Royalp, Pont I’Eveque, Camembert Le Pere
Fresh berries with ginger syrup
Warm caramel fig cake with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce
Double boiled aloe vera with lotus seed and lily bulb

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

Champagne

Krug Grande Cuvee Champagne
Founded in Reims in 1843, the House of Krug is now managed by the 5th and 6th generations of the Krug Family. Rigorous selection and care go into every detail of the multi-vintage Grande Cuvee, which offers a magical combination of aromatic complexity, power and finesse with a long, lingering finish. Krug is the ultimate experience in champagne.

White Wines
Estancia Reserve Monterey Chardonnay 2007
This wine is crafted from grapes planted in the Pinnacles estate Vineyard, Monterey, California, which produces small clusters of fruit with intense varietal character. The result is richly flavoured Chardonnay packed with bright citrus, ripe pear and finished with soft hints of oak. Followed by a lingering mineral finish.

Vincent Girardin Puligny-Montrachet Viellos Vignes 2008
Puligny Montrachet is a well-known appellation of Burgundy wine, containing some of the most famous vineyards in the world. The nose of this powerful wine is elegantly fruited with rich perfume. The palate is rounded, almost plump with lush, ripe flavours balanced by a well-integrated acidity and a sustained finish.

Red Wines
1855 Bordeaux Classification Wine Promotion
We have carefully chosen 6 Classified Growths from the Bordeaux Wine Official Classification of 1855 to complement our First Class wine selection. Please refer to the wine booklet for the promotion and check with our Cabin Crew which of the wines is on offer on this flight.

Today’s flight had:
Chateau Cantenac Brown 2005 3eme Cru Classe Margaux
This exceptional vintage is extremely complex. Intriguing and with great flavours, the nose exhibits cherry and violet notes. Full bodied, with wonderful vanilla, berry and chocolate character, the tannins are round and silky and the palate full flavoured. This leads to a lasting and memorable finish. This is one of the greatest vintages of Chateau Cantenac Brown.

Kalleske Greenock Barossa Valley Shiraz 2008
This Australian certified organic wine is produced in South Australia’s Barossa Valley. It is enticingly aromatic on the nose with fragrant blackberry fruit, plum and spice. The palate is generously flavoured with ripe dark fruits with a touch of liquorice. It is well weighted with fine tannins. This is a seamless wine of great power and intensity.

Finca El Origen Gran Reserva Malbec 2009
This Argentine wine from Uco Valley, Mendoza is of great structure and concentration. Rich and intense, the flavours of the wine are dominated by red plums, cherries with notes of vanilla and chocolate. It has an excellent balance between the acidity and rounded ripe tannins, followed by a pleasant and lingering finish.

Port
Ramos Pinto Quinta de Ervamoira 10 Year Old Tawny Port
Produced from grapes grown in the vineyard Quinta da Ervamoira, this tawny offers all the maturity of an aged wine while still displaying the vigour of youth. It is smooth and full bodied, with aromas and flavours of apricot and plum balanced with vanilla scents from the aged casks.

Aperitifs and Cocktails
Campari, Martini Rosso, Martini Extra Dry, Tio Pepe Sherry, Harveys Bristol Cream Sweet Sherry, Tanqueray Ten Gin, Bacardi Rum, Belvedere Vodka, Bloody Mary, Screwdriver

Whiskies
Chivas Regal 12 Years Old, Johnnie Walker Blue Label, Canadian Club, Gentleman Jack Bourbon, MaCallan 17 Fine Oak Single Malt Whisky

Cognac
Tesseron Lot 76 XO Tradition

Liqueurs
Cointreau, Drambuie, Kahlua, Bailey’s Irish Cream

Beer
International Selection

CX Signature Drinks
Cathay Delight
A kiwi based non-alcoholic drink with coconut juice and a touch of fresh mint
Pacific Sunrise
A refreshing combination of champagne and Drambuie with the zest of orange and lemon

Juices
orange, apple, tomato

Soft Drinks
Coke Zero, Coke, Coke Light, Sprite, Perrier water, tonic water, soda water and ginger ale

Coffees
freshly brewed coffee, espresso, cappuccino and caffe latte regular or decaffeinated

Teas
Fuding jasmine silver fur, Anqi supreme Ti Guan Yin, Ceylon, Japanese, Hong Kong style milk tea
organic selection: camomile, earl grey and peppermint

Hot Chocolate

The young guy in the cabin was good at taking things away but not so good at offering more. He took my empty nut bowl and champagne glass without offering to refill the glass.

I was left there without food or drink and the belt sign came on. The Captain announced that we would be flying through some turbulence due to a typhoon off the coast of Japan and the crew were to take their seats. What? No bubbly and bumpy!

After 20 minutes or so the crew were permitted to resume service but the belt signs remained on.

My table was set with cutlery, salt and pepper, glasses and the breadbasket and plate. The caviar and smoked salmon were served and the Krug bottle presented and poured.

All very nice although I think the garlic bread suffered a little from the delayed serving.

The crew returned asking if they could serve the salad next as the seat belt sign was still on and they could not serve the soup yet. I said that was fine and so the salad was delivered. It was a quite a substantial salad and included quite a lot of the chicken and had a uniquely Asian taste to it.

My main course was served next and although it look great I was a little disappointed as the meat was way too overcooked for me. It didn’t have as much flavour as the QF steak and I really had no desire to finish it. I decided to try the promotional red wine with the meat. It was not too bad and easy to drink

I had left half the meat on the plate when I was done. The F purser dropped by to pick up the plate and asked if it was OK. I said it was too well cooked for my liking. She apologised and asked if I would like the Pasta instead. I said no I am fine, I was quite full anyway.

She asked if I would care to the have the soup now as the seat belt sign had been switched off. I said why not I have heard it is good. The soup was promptly served and was indeed very tasty.

After the bowl was cleared the younger crewmember asked me if I would like cheese or dessert. I said I would skip the cheese and have the berries with ginger syrup. Ah what a refreshing and more important, light way to finish the meal.

Well not quite. I ordered a double espresso, glass of the single malt and these were delivered with some lovely chocolates.

Now sleep perchance to dream. My calculations had me waking at about 09:00 West coast US time if I got some shut eye at about this time. I went to the loo and asked the young attendant if he could make up my bed please. In the loo they had some Aesop products including a facial cleanser, moisturiser and a body cream along with a bottle of toner. In the drawer were the towels and shaving kits.

He was finishing up as I came back and I snuggled up under the thick duvet for a good few hours sleep.

When I awoke I trundled off to the loo and again an on return to my seat the F purser asked me if I wouldn’t mind filling in a survey for them. I had earlier in the flight set up my 100 track playlist so I stuck on my headphones and filled in the survey for them.
Around 3 and a half hours before we were due to land the F purser offered to get my brunch or a snack.

Snacks
Hong Kong style egg tart
Assorted sandwiches
Smoked turkey breast with arugula mayonnaise, chicken and toasted almonds, smoked salmon with lemon cream cheese
Braised beef and tendon with cho hou sauce in noodle soup
Szechuanese dan dan noodle soup
Hot pot rice with steamed chicken, red medlar seeds and Chinese wine, served with double boiled sea whelk and chicken with ginseng
Hagen-Daz Ice Cream

Brunch
Starters

Orange, apple or grapefruit juice
Pink guava smoothie
Fresh seasonal fruit
Natural or fruit yoghurt from Le Ferme du Manege
Assorted cereals

Main Courses
Organic free range eggs – freshly scrambled, fried or boiled served with your choice of pan-fried potato cake with cheese and spring onion, broiled back bacon, pan-fried pork sausage, roasted vine-ripened tomato and parsley or sautéed mixed fresh mushrooms
Dim sum with chilli sauce
Pork sui mai with scallop, shrimp fun gor, pork and chive dumpling, bean curd roll with vegetables
Prawn and scallops congee, served with pan-fried turnip cake with preserved pork

Bread Basket
Assorted breakfast bread and fresh toast served with Mrs. Bridges Scottish preserves, Tasmanian meadow honey and butter
Tea and Coffee

Pralines

I decided to give the good old noodles a try, despite the fact they included beef tendon.
The purser also asked me if I cared to drink something with the soup. Ah yes can I try the Aussie Shiraz please. She returned with a glass and presented the bottle. She poured a little and I tasted. OK call me a heathen but this Aussie red IMHO was far superior to the French stuff I had been drinking earlier. Yes I know they are different grapes and wines but still this was a nice drop. I encouraged her to fill my glass and she went off and came back shortly after with the noodles.

I was surprised at how tender the tendon was in the soup and I kicked it all up a bit the Seat 2A favourite of the chilli sauce. The purser returned with the bottle and I said that really is a delicious wine. She said it is all yours if you want it. A hot towel was delivered after I had finished the meal.
After the soup was devoured I decided to work on this report a little whilst sipping on my, now it seems, never ending glass of red wine.

At around two and a half hours at the IFE moving map started to show connecting gate information. It seems all people on this flight were connecting to one of 4 DFW flights.

Around an hour and half out, whilst still sipping my wine the F purser asked if I would like something from the brunch menu. I decided to start with the smoothie and some fruit and they were both fresh and lovely.

For the main I chose the dim sum and noted that it has changed over the years and now includes the bean curd roll instead of the old sticky rice cake. None the less it was still a tasty way to start the day, especially when kicked up a notch with some of the chilli sauce.

After brunch another hot towel was given to me.
The purser kept coming back again and again with the bottle of red until it was time to clear the cabin for landing.
I changed back into my street clothes and made myself ready for the landing. The crew cleaned up the cabin and the ISM dropped back for a quick thank you chat.

We touched down at 12:27 and it was a short walk to immigrations. Unfortunately an Asiana flight had beaten us to the punch and the non-US citizens lines were full of hundreds of people with I-94 visa forms to be processed. This slowed down the lines somewhat. I eventually made it to an agent and for the first time since my very first entrance under the finger print rules I was required to have both hands done. Ever since that first time I only have ever needed to use the four fingers of my right hand. I mentioned this to the agent but he ignored me and wasn’t the most pleasant of chaps.

My suitcase was already wandering around the carousel and I grabbed it and made for the exit. My customs form was checked and I was directed outside to re-check my bag.

The guy who claimed my bag back asked if I waned to sky train to the terminal or walk. I said walk and he gave me directions and told me it would be able 8 minutes.

Eventually I made it into the new T2 building and found the AA F check-in desks. I asked for my BA to be added to the AA flight sectors as I was not able to do so online. She had no problem and said she had done this for all the remaining sectors.

I then headed for security where the lines were not too long.
Once cleared I made my way into the Admirals Club lounge that was just in front of me as I left security.

Inside the agent explained the drink chit process and said if I need more to just come back to her. She asked me if I had been there before and I said I had but it was a long time ago and it didn’t look anything like this. She said we are in a new terminal now and it is all new. She explained where everything was and wished me a pleasant stay.

I found a vacant seat by the window and connected to the wifi and checked email etc. I decided to use my chit for a glass of Sam Adams, which seems to be my drink of choice when in ACs.

I whiled away a couple of hours before heading on down to the gate for my flight.
When I got to the gate the passengers were just disembarking from the inbound flight.
They managed to do a quick turnaround though and boarding for my flight, although still delayed, started at 16:20. I made my way down to the aircraft after the agent scanned my BP.

Flight AA1528 SFO-DFW Seat 4F
Aircraft: 737-800
Departure time: 16:35

On board I grabbed my seat and shoved my bag underneath the one in front. My jacket was taken and hung by one of the crew. The plane continued to fill with constant announcements about stowing luggage under seat, wheels first in the overheads and get out of the aisle as soon as you can. Eventually everyone made it on board and we were ready to go.

There was no pre-departure beverage I suspect due to our late departure and the crew just wanting to get us ready to go.

We pushed back at 16:48 and the FA informed us the flying time would be a relatively short 2 hours and 56 minutes.

We took off at 16:58 and into the skies over Texas. The crew remained seated until the ding but the belt signs remained on. The FA in the F galley was banging and clanging about for ages before any sign of service was made. She eventually appeared and dropped of serviettes at each seat and started to take drinks orders from the rear of the cabin. We were full up front, as normal for AA.

I ordered the usual Scotch and Ginger Ale and this was delivered shortly after. Once all the drinks had been served the FA came around with trays with the bowls of warm nuts.

The FA offered to re-fill my glass and I agreed it was a good idea.
The meal service then began starting from the front following the FEBO method AA use. This means meal orders are taken from the Front on Even numbered flights and the Back on Odd numbered flights. Of course when FE is in play the service can begin without the need for the FA to take orders first. If it is an odd numbered flight the crew will usually take orders first and still serve the meal starting from the front of the cabin.

On offer for dinner tonight was a tortellini pasta with marinara sauce or chicken with vegetable medley and rice. I opted for the latter and this came on the tray with an appetiser of four cold prawns with a marinara dipping sauce, a Greek salad and was served with some sour dough bread. The FA asked if I would like some wine and I asked what the white wine was. She came back and said how good are your eye? She showed me the bottle but I couldn’t find anywhere on it that said what type of wine it was. She said it smelled dry so it could be a chardonnay. I said it would be fine and she poured some into the small glass.

The meal was filling and tasty and the coated BBQ chicken was tender and packed a bit of a punch with the spices in the rub.

After the tray was taken I was asked if I wanted more wine and I said sure thing. A full tumbler of wine was then handed to me.

I sat and supped and watched the fabulous Nevada & Utah landscapes go by beneath us.

About half an hour later the FA asked me if I would like a cheese and fruit plate or the dessert of a cheesecake with a brownie base. I said I would like the cheesecake and a black coffee please.

She said the coffee was brewing and would be out in a little while. A little while later my coffee came out and she asked ‘you wanted the cheesecake didn’t you?’ I confirmed and she went back to the galley and returned with a bowl. It was quite nice and the coffee washed it down just right.

One of the other crew grabbed my empty bowl and a while later when my mug was empty I excused myself passed my seat mate and dropped the mug off the FA on my way to the loo. The FA said to me it was really nice having you on board and I appreciate it. I said why and she said you were so nice and always smiling, not many do. It was a real pleasure to have you on board. I said ah I am on holiday I am happy. The other crewmember said ‘are you British?’ I said no Australian. She said we don’t use the word holiday we have vacations. I said yes I know I had plenty of vacations when I was living in San Antonio a few years ago.

After the loo I went back to my seat and made ready for landing. The Captain had announced the initial descent and we would be landing soon. As usual with an AA flight the seat belt sign was switched off after we reached altitude but switched on minutes later at the first sign of a bump. It remained on for the remainder of the flight.
How different flying in America is. The CX Captain in his closing speech had apologised for having to keep the seat belt on for so long at the start of the flight.

We landed at 21:57 and taxied to our gate. The crew announced the arrival gate and baggage claim area number.

I thanked the FA on the way out and she said thank you and enjoy your holiday.

I made my way out to await the my bag. I gave the agent my baggage claim tag and asked if he could check if my bag made it onto this flight. He said it had and should be out soon.
I saw my bag pop out and rang the Westin on the courtesy phone in the baggage hall. An agent confirmed the pick up location. I turned around and my bag had reached me so I grabbed it and headed downstairs to the appointed area.

To my amazement the van was along within a couple of minutes and we took off up to the next pick up point. Once there two passengers got on the bus. I said are you two following me? They laughed and said what a coincidence.

These two had been on my CX flight in F and on my flight to DFW. They had missed their earlier connection and the agent had sent them up to this end of the airport to collect their bags that had made the connection.

At the Westin DFW I was greeted and not upgraded and sent to a room that didn’t even contain any free water. Boy how different US hotel stays with SPG are to Asia and Europe.

Many more photos here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.