Another addiction fuelled RTW in F on One World

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another addiction fuelled RTW in F on One World

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 5:11 am

Programs: UA 1K DL Medallion Gold
Great as always! What do you prefer Oman or BA?
Old May 31, 2012, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hndflyer
Great as always! What do you prefer Oman or BA?
Thanks hndflyer.

Tough to call on that one. The seat is way better than BA and the food is superior but the crew aren't up to the better BA standard. Possibly a language/cultural thing too but I couldn't really interact with the WY crew like I can with BA crew.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Positioning Flights and then some

Yes folks it is me back again after a 3 month hiatus. As Jenbel surmised up thread, no this is not a case of my being earthbound for 3 months as I had a couple of domestics and my first work trip in over 5 years all the way to Belfast.

Depending on what rules you apply to a RTW trip report this next set of flights may or may not fall into that category. In my mind they do as some sectors of the following form part of the getting to or coming back from where the RTW was parked.

As you know my RTW is currently patiently waiting my presence in Sydney where I will pick it up later this month. However in the meantime there was the complex business of how to work out the logistics of the next parking point. Also a planned trip with a friend got thrown in for good measure that allowed some ‘interesting’ ticketing possibilities.

The trip with friend was to be a long weekend in Tokyo. I had award flights booked to get me to TYO and then another from TYO to SYD to pick up the RTW. However work intervened and it was more acceptable for me to keep this trip short and move the next leg of the RTW to a few weeks later.
After playing with Kayak I stumbled upon a curiosity that I didn’t think was possible. That being an open jaw booking that was so big a jaw it crossed an ocean.
I was able to purchase a decently priced ex AMS open jaw ticket that would get me to NRT and then from SFO to LHR when next I park the RTW. I couldn’t believe it was possible but it all ticketed OK and touch wood is all working to plan.
I then cancelled my outbound LHR-NRT ticket and replaced it with another award in the reverse direction.
This report will be about the NRT excursion and won’t even touch the RTW but will set up the SFO-LHR sector for later this month.

OK I hear saying ‘Yeah, yeah I don’t understand a word of what you are on about just get on with the report’

Fine.

Right then so on we go with the first little hop to AMS. I purposely routed out of LCY for this sector using a separate ticket that was booked using a discount code someone posted in FT.

I decided to overnight in AMS and fly back the next morning to LCY. That way I was able to go back home and collect my suitcase and head on out to LHR. I had given myself 6 hours between the AMS-LCY arriving to my LHR-NRT flight departing to cater for any problems.

I left work a little early and headed out to catch the tube one stop and the DLR out to LCY airport.

I had checked in online and printed my BP so I just made my way straight up to security. There was no queue and I was quickly through with no extra pokes or prods.

I had grossly over estimated the time it would take to get to the airport and I now found myself faced with an hour or so before departure. I surfed a bit using the airport wifi until I noticed that the monitors announced the boarding message for my flight.

I went down to the gate and as I was in Club Europe I was invited to sit in a roped off section of the lounge where a sign stated the area was for CE, Gold, Silver and OW Emerald and Sapphire. I sat down and watched the lounge fill up.
Not one other person used the seating, although I am sure many were entitled, not least the rest of the business class cabin. Most of the elites just did the gate lice thing and stood right by the door.

When the flight was ready to board they made an announcement and I stood up. The agent pushed her was through the lice and said to me ‘would you mind going out first?’ I said no and she let me out and I walked over the tarmac to the aircraft.

Flight BA8459 LCY-AMS Seat 2A
Aircraft: E190
Departure time: 17:05

At the top of the stairs the purser greeted me and directed me to my seat.
I stashed my small bag under the seat and waited whilst the plane filled up. A bottle of water was handed out by the purser to the J cabin occupants. Very late in the boarding process 3 business types got on and moaned about no room to put their luggage. Should have not left it till the last minute then guys!

The crew managed to secure space for their bags and the doors were closed ready for departure. The captain announced a flying time of 40 minutes. The purser asked her counterpart in the rear to arm and crosscheck the door. Umm, who cross checks when there are on the two of them on board?

The crew did a manual safety demonstration as we pushed forward on time at 17:05.
We taxied to the other end of the field before a quick run and take off at 17:15.

The ding announced it was time for the crew to get into action. Down the back a drink and snack was served and in the CE cabin there was to be a light meal.

The purser distributed the trays with a small chicken salad, blue and soft cheese with crackers and a small pot of rhubarb and custard for dessert. She then passed around the breadbasket and took drinks orders.

Before I knew it we were into our descent and the purser was clearing away the cabin.

We landed at 19:39 and taxied to the gate at the end of one of the fingers of Schiphol airport. I walked a mile to get to immigrations and was dealt with by a very personable agent. I next made my way into the shopping mall in search of the Sheraton hotel.

After a restless night and early start it was time to fly back to LCY on the first sector of my AMS-LCY LHR-NRT SFO-LHR LCY-AMS ticket.

I grabbed boarding passes at one of the machines in the terminal building and made my way up to emigrations. I then made the trek in search of the BA lounge. It seems you are required to walk miles whenever you visit Schiphol. The lounge agent welcomed me into the lounge and said they would make a boarding announcement.

I grabbed some cereal an yoghurt and settled into the old terraces style BA lounge and surfed a bit using the free wifi.

A while later I noticed a wheel chair passenger being taken out and down the gate. I waited another few minutes before gathering my stuff together and making the long walk down the finger. At the second knuckle I needed to clear security where the queues were non-existent.

At the gate I snapped a couple of pics and waited for boarding to start.

The agents announced Club, Gold, Silver and OW Elites could begin boarding. It was one of those fake boarding procedure where they scan your BP and then keep you in a holding bay. After the elites had made it into the holding bay the rest were allowed in. They eventually opened the door down on to the plane and I made my way down the ramp.

Flight BA8450 AMS-LCY Seat 2A
Aircraft: E170
Departure time: 07:20

On board I was directed to my seat and the purser handed me a bottle of water. The plane was lightly loaded with only 2 in CE by the time the doors closed. The captain announced a flight time of 40 minutes and the crew did a manual safety presentation again.

We pushed back at 07:26 and taxied forever before we finally took off at 07:39.

After the ding the crew got to work again this time serving the usual BA hot breakfast option. I had some OJ with this salty feast.

As we approached London I noticed we started doing loops and thought this was odd for a LCY flight. Sure enough the captain announced that LCY was closed as they had some low cloud cover. He said they would circle for 15 minutes more hoping the cloud would clear. Fifteen minutes later the captain announced that the cloud cover was not budging and we would be diverting to Gatwick. He stated that only one aircraft had landed at LCY in the last hour.

We touched down at LGW at 08:02 several miles from where we should have been and 35 minutes late. We taxied to the top end of the apron to a bus stand. To BA’s credit there was a set of stairs and BA employees waiting for us and the bus showed up a few minutes later. The ground staff came on board and informed the captain that we would be on our own to make our way into London and if anyone needed help to contact the information desk in the terminal building.

We were let off and down the stairs to the bus and were soon winding our way over to the airport terminal building. I was pleased to see IRIS was a happy mistress this morning and I was through in no time and making my way to the station at the South terminal complex. I purchased my ticket to Farringdon, where I would connect to the tube, and was on the 08:39 train that pulled in a few minutes later.

I texted my friend to let him know I had been diverted but would still have plenty of time to make it to LHR in time for my Tokyo flight. He had been concerned that my little bit of nuttiness at the start of this trip could be a disaster waiting to happen.

I arrived home and had plenty of time to shower and finish packing before making my way out to Heathrow via two tubes and the HEX.

After arriving at T5 I made my way up stairs and walked along the banks of bag drop desks until I found an agent waiting to take my bag in the J section.

He checked my passport and checked my bag in and I was off towards security.

Security was fast using the fast track lane and I was soon making for the currency exchange to pick up my Yen. It was then onto the F lounge and my first glass of bubbly for the day. Recently they had started serving the Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle in the lounge as well as on board in F. Along with the bubbly I grabbed a bite to eat from the self-serve area.

My gate posted as a C gate and I headed out toward the transit system 30 minutes prior to the gate close time shown on my BP. This worked out to be perfect timing as by the time I made it to the C terminal and found my gate the agents announced boarding. I was second down the ramp as I just kept walking straight on up to the fast track lane.

Flight BA0005 LHR-NRT Seat 10A
Aircraft: 777-300
Departure time: 13:30

On board I was directed to my seat and settled in grabbing what I needed from my bag before stowing it in the overhead locker. I stashed my gear in the drawer in the seat and sat back to relax. I soon realised why I hate the BA Club World seat. Too cramped and closed in. What made things worse was my window seat had no window. I only found this out late in the day and wasn’t able to change to a better seat.

I was offered a newspaper and a pre-departure bevvy of juice, water or bubbly. You all know what I grabbed off the tray.

The captain came on the horn and announced our imminent departure and a flying time of 11 hours and 20 minutes. The crew put everyone’s IFE screen out before the safety briefing was shown. We pushed back at 13:32 and taxied to the other end of the field where we took off at 13:58.

After the signal the crew were out handing out menus and the amenity kits containing Elemis products, teeth gear, socks and eye shade.

The cabin service director dropped my to welcome me on board and chatted a while. I said I was so glad I chose a window seat. I said that BA should indicate on their seat maps where window seats don’t have windows as there is usually a reason why people choose windows. He agreed and said he would feedback my comments.

It was time now to fire up the new Rockwell Collins IFE on this beasty. My what a leap forward for BA; finally catching up to their competitors on this front. There was vast variety of music and video programming and the quality was excellent. At last I can set up a play list with up to 100 songs AND watch the moving map at the same time on BA. It has been a long time coming.

The crew meanwhile had been out offering up a pre-dinner tipple. I started with a Kir Royale to go with my nuts in a bag. A crewmember also stopped by to take my dinner order.

DINNER
STARTERS

Selection of Japanese appetisers including lobster, edamame and dashimaki

Poached English asparagus with Twineham Grange cheese dressing and quail eggs

SALAD
Fresh seasonal salad served with vinaigrette

MAIN
Seared fillet of Herefordshire beef with bourguinonne garnish of bacon, mushroom and baby onion with pommes Anna.

Chicken miso yuan with tawara rice and vegetables

Kinko and tofu steak with miso demi-glace, tawara rice and vegetables

Chilled main course salad of Severn and Wye hot-smoked salmon with Jersey Royal potato salad and watercress dressing

DESSERT
Lemon meringue pie with raspberry compote

Cropwell Bishop Stilton and St-Paulin cheese served with chutney and biscuits

Ice cream

A selection of fruit

Chocolates

WINES
CHAMPAGNE

CHAMPAGNE COCKTAILS

Kir Royale
Crème de Cassis gives this cocktail its distinctive taste

Buck’s Fizz
Crisp dry champagne and naturally sweet orange juice

Taittinger Brut Reserve NV Champagne
Champagne Taittinger’s origin date back to 1734, and today it is one of the few Champagne Houses to be owned and actively managed by the family named on the label; Pierre Taittinger acquired the House in the early 1930’s. Taittinger Brut Reserve characterises the House style, which uses a high percentage of Chardonnay in the blend. Such Chardonnay dominance helps create a style of delicacy and finesse that merits the Gold Medal awarded at the Decanter World Wine Awards 2010. Its lean palate has considerable depth and elegance with a long, fresh finish making it a perfect aperitif.

WHITE
Chablis 1er Cru Cote de Lechet 2010, Domaine Jean-Marc Brocard, Burgundy, France
This is fine premier cru, dry, crisp and thirst quenching. Marked by the fresh citrusm, mineral, and seashell notes that are associated with the classic 1er Cru Chablis, this one also has a distinctively moreish lemon syllabub character. It is produced by a top Domaine undergoing conversion to biodynamic production, hence the ladybird on the label. It pairs well with the salads, while meats and seafood dishes.

Pemberly Sauvignon Blanc 2011, Pemberton, Western Australia.
A bright, fresh, zingy, wine with stacks of grassy, gooseberry Sauvignon fruit made by cult winemaker Rob Bowen. The 2011 has just garnered its first fold of the 2012 award season in Singapore, surely the first of many. Pemberton is a new wine area 335 km south of Perth in the southwest corner of the continent. Equally as good served as an aperitif as it is paired with any of our fish dishes.

RED
Chateau Faugeres 2007, Saint-Emilion Grand Cru, Bordeaux, France.
2007 is a vintage known for its pronounced fruit flavours, and this example is no exception. It is rich in black cherry and bramble fruit characters, dense tannins, vanilla, liquorice, cigar and coffee notes. An intensely aromatic blend of Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon that has been aged for 14 months in a mix of new and used French oak barrels to create a complexity and charm worthy of 90 points from wine critic Robert Parker. Enjoy it with the steak.

The Gentleman, Cabernet Sauvignon 2010, Eden Valley, South Australia.
2010 was a fantastic vintage for Eden Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. Produced by the youthful Teusner estate, which has already been rated five stars by local wine authority, James Halliday, The Gentleman is no exception. The concentrated blackberry, blackcurrant and cassis flavours, combined with layers of espresso, mocha, liquorice and eucalyptus, demonstrate why. Intense and full bodied, it is perfect to savour on its own or with cheese or spicy dishes.

THE BAR
APERITIFS AND COCKTAILS

Campari
Martini Dry
Cointreau
Southern Comfort
Smirnoff Blue
Messenes Crème de Cassis
Tanqueray
Gordon’s Gin
Tia Maria
Baileys
Tio Pepe
Bacardi

WHISKIES
Glenlivet 15-year-old Malt
Jack Daniel’s
Johnnie Walker Black
Drambuie 15-year-old Speyside Malt Liqueur

COGNAC
Otard VSOP Cognac

BEER
Grolsch Premium
Fuller’s London Pride
Heineken

SOFT DRINKS
Coca-Cola
Diet Coca-Cola
Sprite
Sparkling Mineral Water
Tonic Water
Canada Dry
Bitter Lemon
Diet Tonic
Fanta Orange
Still Mineral Water
Soda Water

JUICES
Apple
Tomato
Orange
Cranberry

TWININGS TEA ROOM
A selection of refreshing teas and infusions including: English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Pure Green, Peppermint, Camomile and Cranberry, Raspberry and Elderflower

Ground Coffee
Decaffeinated Coffee

A second round of drinks was offered before the meal service began. I switched over to the Sauvignon Blanc at this point.

The starters were delivered on a tray that also contained the salad, a small bottle of English rapeseed and honey mustard dressing and a box of chocolates. The starter was pleasantly light and the salad was a salad although I was pleased to see the demise of the spicy lemon dressing.

Bread was offered a couple of time during the meal and my glass was never empty.
After hearing good things about the ovens on these new aircraft I decided to give the steak option a whirl. My oh my looky what we have here, a beautifully cooked steak on a BA flight!! It was as tasty as it looks in my photographs.

After the remains of the main meal were removed I was offered dessert or cheese. I decided to go with the cheese as I had the choccie still as a little sweet treat to end the meal. I was also offered and accepted a glass of the port. After the meal tray was removed I was given a bottle of water.

After the meal it was time for a movie before hunkering down for some shuteye. During the night the crew wandered past with drinks on trays only the once that I saw.

Around 2 hours out of Tokyo the lights were turned on and a crewmember dropped by with a wringing wet hot towel.

BREAKFAST
STARTERS

Chilled fruit juice

Ruby awakening mocktail

Fresh fruit

Birchermuesli

BAKERY
A selection of warm breads and breakfast pastries

MAIN
Traditional English breakfast of scrambled eggs, crispy streaky bacon, Saddleback sausage, tomato and sautéed potatoes

Scrambled eggs with cheese on a toasted English muffin

Waffles with caramel and cinnamon butter

I started with the birchermuesli that had big pieces of orange in it and lots of citrus peel. It was lovely.

Next up I chose what sounded like a nice option of eggs on muffin. It was not nice, in fact I took a bite and the rest went west. One of the crew asked if I had finished as I had placed my napkin on the tray. I looked at it and said it wasn’t very appetising.

The crew readied the cabin for landing and I changed back into my civvies after having donned a t-shirt and my LX F PJ bottoms earlier in the flight.

We landed at 09:20 and made a long taxi to the gate. I said my goodbyes and made the long walk to immigrations. There was no queue for this and I was through in a jiffy. Down to the baggage hall and I waited around 5 minutes before bags started to appear. Mine was the fourth one out and I made my way to customs that gave me the usual third degree that Japan seems to do.

My friend I was travelling with was flying in on VS and was due to arrive 30 minutes after me so we had agreed I would make my way over to the other terminal to meet up.

I grabbed the free bus service over to T1 and waited for my friend to arrive.
He eventually appeared and we grabbed two tickets on the Friendly Limousine bus service to the Westin Hotel a journey of almost 2 hours!!

More Photos
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

A couple of days in Tokyo

This part will be mostly pictorial.

We had both visited Tokyo before and had done the usual touristy things and were looking to do something different.

We went to Meiji-Jingu Shrine one day and then wandered the streets in the area ending up in the madness that is Shibuya.

Our last day was spent on an organised tour out to Fuji and then Hakone NP with a shinkansen ride back to Tokyo from Odawara.

Loads of photos here.

A sample follows:

Meiji-Jinku Shrine

Fuji

Hakone

Shinkansen Odawara

Loads of photos here.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA
Fantastic TR as always. I am still trying to write up my current trip and had logged on for some inspiration which I got here in droves.

Originally Posted by Moomba
to go with my nuts in a bag.
Ok, I know the BA CW seats can feel cramped and narrow, but seriously!
Old Jun 5, 2012, 2:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Fabulous update. The birchermuesli is a dish I would happily add to my morning ritual; since I've be warned not to throw bricks at Herring Gulls the scrambled egg topped muffin may offer some utility
Old Jun 5, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I miss the Shinkansen.

Nice pics @Meiji!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baggageinhall
Fantastic TR as always. I am still trying to write up my current trip and had logged on for some inspiration which I got here in droves.

Ok, I know the BA CW seats can feel cramped and narrow, but seriously!

I look forward to seeing your next report.

Originally Posted by Prospero
Fabulous update. The birchermuesli is a dish I would happily add to my morning ritual; since I've be warned not to throw bricks at Herring Gulls the scrambled egg topped muffin may offer some utility
Would that help? They might just try to eat it.

Originally Posted by corporateslave
I miss the Shinkansen.

Nice pics @Meiji!
Thanks corporateslave
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Back to London

OK, what goes East must go West eventually, well not necessarily but in this case it does. So it is that after a few days of enjoying Tokyo and its surrounds it was time to head back to the UK.

Again my friend and I were on different flights but they left within an hour of each other so we caught the long, long ride on the limo bus back to NRT. It took 1 hour and 50 minutes to get to the airport but 45 minutes of that was stopping off at other hotels and picking up passengers.

At the approach to the airport the bus was stopped and a couple of officers got on board and checked everyone’s passport. The gentlemen who checked mine was very polite and thanked me in Japanese and English.

After this ritual we made our way to Terminal 2 where I said my goodbyes to my friend and left the bus.

Inside I found the BA desks and was surprised to see that they now do not run all baggage through the x-rays prior to getting to the desks.

At the First desk a very pleasant gentleman checked me in and tagged my baggage. He then filled in a lounge invite for the AA lounge and let me know to go to the side of the security check area where I could use the elite lanes.

I quickly made my way through emigrations and security and wandered around the terminal for a while before heading down to the Admirals Club.
I was greeted and welcomed in but was not told if there was an F section. I went inside and found a seat by the window and unpacked my gear. I then went in search of some breakfast. What a complete joke this lounge is. It had some pastries, a few Japanese breakfast items with miso soup and not much else. The coffee machine was broken too. There was some alcohol and other soft drinks available but on the whole pretty lousy.

I grabbed a bagel and juice and checked my emails before leaving the place. On the way back up I noticed a room that had a sign stating it was for F passengers only. Inside was a separate drinks trolley with some other food. I was so peed that I didn’t bother with it and just left. I didn’t even bother with a photo in the lounge.

I could have enforced the OW rules and gone to the JAL F lounge but by the time I did some shopping for Green Tea Kit Kat and other things there wasn’t really any time left.

I went down to the gate and stopped at the top of the stairs leading down to the gate. It was quite crowded so I just hovered at the top until I noticed some movement of the agents indicating boarding was to commence.

I went down the stairs as a boarding announcement was made and joined the elite queue that has already started to form.
After reaching the desk my PP was checked and BP swiped and I was on my way down the ramp.

Two doors were being used and only F passengers were invited to use the ramp on the left that lead to door 1L.

Flight BA0005 NRT-LHR Seat 2K
Aircraft: 777-300
Departure time: 10:55

On board I was escorted to my seat and welcomed on board. I was given PJs and an amenity kit containing Ren products and the usual teeth stuff and mask and socks.

I was offered a pre-departure bevvie and yes I asked for bubbly. I was also offered a newspaper at this point.
I settled in to my seat and noticed that the windows of 2AK are badly misaligned and was hoping the cabin wouldn’t fill so I could move.

By the time the doors closed there were 4 others in F all in row 1. The CSD dropped by and said I could move to any other seat and I said I was going to ask as the windows were misaligned. So it was I moved back to 3K. Of all the windows I think 1A has the best views, followed by 3/4K and then 2K.

The captain made his greeting and announced a flight time of 11 hours and 35 minutes. Oh I forgot to say on this aircraft I was to enjoy BA’s new First seat.

My glass of champagne was filled up once more before we pushed back at 10:44. I had noticed on the boards in the airport that the flight had been re-timed to leave 10 minutes early for some reason.
It was a long, long taxi before we finally took off at 11:19.

After we were in the air the CSD dropped by again with landing card and menu for me. On offer for lunch today was:

LUNCH
STARTERS

Spicy prawn salad

Rocket and goat’s cheese tart with balsamic reduction

White miso soup with wakame, bean curd and chives
Or
Minestrone soup

Fresh salad leaves with your choice of blue cheese dressing or Japanese onion dressing

MAIN
Sauteed black cod with Hollandaise sauce

Braised lamb in Japanese-style curry sauce

Beef and mushroom pie with seasonal vegetables

Smoked duck and Camembert salad

BISTRO SELECTION
Penne pasta with sun-dried tomato sauce

Warm bacon roll

A selection of biscuits

A selection of cheese and fruit

DESSERT
Chocolate fondant with sesame ice cream and fruit brochette

Mango mousse cake with blueberry coulis

CHEESE PLATE
A selection of cheese

Fresh fruit

BEVERAGES
We offer a selection of the following Twinings Tea:
Teas – English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Mint Humbug, Honeycomb Camomile, Red Berry Fool and Jasmine Pearls

Coffee - Freshly roasted and ground, decaffeinated, espresso or cappuccino

WINES
APERITIF

Kir Royale
A sparkling aperitif combining Crème de Cassis (a blackcurrant liqueur) with Champagne, creating a refreshing cocktail.

CHAMPAGNE
Laurent-Perrier Grand Siecle, Champagne, France
Grand Siecle is the prestige cuvee of the House of Laurent-Perrier and is named in honour of the ‘Sun King’, Louis XIV, who presided of the an era known as the ‘Grand Siecle’ or ‘Great Century’. At the Palace of Versailles, Louis XIV was the first French King to drink Champagne. This multi-vintage Champagne is created from grapes sourced from 100% Grand Cru vineyards in the twelve most prestigious villages such as Ambonnay, Avize, Cramant and Le Mesnil. The blend is 50% Pinot Noir and 50% Chardonnay, and only the very best vintages are used. The wine is aged for at least five years on its lees before release in its beautiful replica 17th century bottle. Gold in colour with a delicate bead, this outstanding Champagne features aromas and flavours of honey, almond and freshly baked brioche.

WHITE
Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru La Grande Montagne 2009, Corton Andre, Burgundy, France
International Wine and Spirits Competition Gold Medal
The Premier Cru vineyard of La Grande Montagne has been hewn out of the hillside on the top of the slope close to the Bois de Chassagne, northwest of the village of Chassagne-Montrachet. The Chardonnay grapes were hand-harvested before fermentation and maturation in French oak barrels, and the finished wine shows layers of complex flavours as a result. This outstanding Burgundy has a marvellous texture with rich citrus and stone fruit flavours in tandem with vanillin oak, perfect balance and lengthy finish. It makes the perfect match for seafood dishes and poultry.

Prinz Von Hessen Dachsfilet Riesling Qualitatswein 2008, Rheingau, Germany
Silver Medal in Decanter 2010 Wine Awards and International Wine Challenge 2010
The venerable wine estate of Pinz Von Hessen is located in the legendary wine village of Johannisberg in the Rheingau region. Dachsfilet is a fascinating and mildly controversial wine, being vinified in the style of a red wine with the juice partly fermented on the skins of the grapes to give more body and texture. The grapes are sourced from the finest part, the filet, of the Winkeler Dachsberg (Badger’s Mountain), hence the name Dachsfilet. The wine has a lovely texture, with a hint of sweetness allied to citrus and peach fruit and some mineral complexity. A delicious aperitif and a good match for seafood, ham and lightly spiced vegetarian dishes.

Tyrell’s Single Vineyard HVD Semillon 2006, Hunter Valley, Australia
One Trophy (Perth 2011), Three Gold, Five Silver and Twelve Bronze Show Medals
The historic Hunter Valley Distillery (HVD) vineyard was first planted in 1908 and was bought by a delighted Murray Tyrell in 1982. The HVD Semillon is still made from the original vines, located on sandy soils between two small creeks fed from a spring in the Brokenback Range. The grapes for the 2006 vintage were handpicked and the lightly crushed before a cool fermentation and maturation in stainless steel. It is a great example of this iconic wine style with an impeccably balanced, strong, citrus character and a crisp acid structure leading into a clean finish. This wine is rated as ‘Outstanding’ with 95 points by James Halliday, and is a great match for smoked salmon, seafood and poultry dishes.

RED
Chateau Gruaud Larose 2011, 2eme Grand Cru Classe Saint-Julien, Medoc, Bordeaux, France
The earliest records of Gruaud Larose date back to 1725. More recently there have been a number of different owners until a more settled era began in 1977, when the Merlaut family took control. Thankfully, Regisseur/Winemaker Georges Pauli has been in situ since 1970 overseeing the considerable investment and commensurate increase in quality at the property. Acclaimed as a Second Growth in the 1855 Classification, Gruaud Larose is today regarded as a ‘Super Second’ and one of the very finest wines in Saint-Julien. There are eighty-two hectares under vine with an average age of forty-five years, planted 57% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot, 8% Cabernet Franc with the remainder Petit Verdot and Malbec. The 2001 vintage is now fully mature and has been applauded by the critics: 90 points from Robert Parker, 92 points Wine Spectator, 94 points Wine Enthusiast and a ‘Superior’ rating from Jancis Robinson. It is a classic match for red meat, especially beef or lamb.

Les Petits Vougeots 1er Cru 2007, Domaine Roux Pere Et Fils, Burgundy, France
Les Petits Vougeots lies to the north, close to the famous and historic Chateau du Clos de Vougeot, which was founded by the monks of Citeaux in 1551. The vineyard comprises of sixty-year-old Pinot Noir vines and is situated between the Grand Crus of Clos de Vouget and Le Musigny on well-drained, deep, stony soils. The wine has a delicate perfume with red stone fruits and toasty oak. On the palate it features ripe plum and spice flavours, a good structure and a lengthy finish. Rate 90 points by Wine Enthusiast, it makes a good match with meaty fish, poultry and game dishes.

The Laughing Magpie 2007, d’Arenberg, McLaren Vale, South Australia
In similar fashion to Cote-Rotie, The Laughing Magpie was made from very concentrated ripe bunches of Shiraz and Viognier, which were gently crushed then co-fermented together in open vats with traditional foot-treading. After two weeks, the still fermenting juice was gently basket pressed in 19th century presses, before being transferred into American and French oak barriques to mature for another eleven months. This is a powerful wine, full of concentrated black fruit and oak complexity, with ripe tannic structure and tremendous length.

DESSERT
The Noble Mudpie 2010, d’Arenberg, McLaren Vale, South Australia
This unusual blend of Viognier (60%) and Roussanne (40%) is a sweet triumph for winemaker Chester Osborn. In 2010 there were perfect weather conditions for the onset of Botrytis Cinerea, the noble rot that can add a patina of complex flavours to sweet wine. The wine is tremendously aromatic with perfume of apricot, rose-water, yellow peach blossom and dried pear, while the palate features deliciously textured flavours of apricot nectar, ripe grapefruit and nuances of spice and a touch of nuttiness from the Roussanne. Perfect with fresh fruit, pastries, blue cheese or simply on its own.

Warre’s 1992 Colheita Tawny Port
Complex, sweet, nutty flavours offer an admirable after-dinner glass.

SPIRITS, DIGESTIFS AND LIQEUERS
Gonzalez Byass Sherries
Smirnoff Black Label Vodka
Tanqueray No. 10 Gin
Johnnie Walker Blue Label Scotch Whisky
The Glenlivet 18-year-old Single Malt Whisky
Woodford Reserve Kentucky Whiskey
Drambuie 15-year old Speyside Malt Liqueur
Otard XO Cognac

SOFT DRINKS
A selection of traditional and modern drinks

I was asked if I would like my meal straight away or if I preferred to wait. I said I would wait until it was close to a proper lunch hour. I was offered a drink and went with my standard champagne substitute, of a scotch and dry ginger. This was delivered with a bowl of warm nuts.

I read my book whilst sipping and my drink and nuts bowl were refreshed and thirds offered and declined.

At around 13:30 TYO time I decided it was time to eat and I asked the crew to prepare my lunch.

Lunch started with an amuse bouche consisting of smoked salmon wrapped cheese and a skewer with olives.

Now I like my cheese but the big hunk of goat’s cheese in the tart I chose for the starter was almost too much.

I did like the Japanese onion dressing on the salad though.

The beef pie was OK but the beef was quite chewy and tough. There were plenty of wine and bread offerings during the meal.

After the main I was asked if I would like some cheese and I said I was sort of cheesed out and opted for the chocolate dessert to finish the meal. The sesame ice cream was a delicious accompaniment to the chocolate goo.

I read my book and snoozed for a few hours and drank lots of water to counter the alcohol intake earlier in the flight. One annoyance during the flight was the constant banging of cupboard doors by the J crew a series of cupboards at the rear of the F cabin opposite the F loo.

At around 2 hours out of London the crew came around with hot towels and asked if I would like something from the snack menu.

LIGHT MEAL
STARTERS

Marinated sea bream with vegetable salsa

Asparagus and shiitake mushrooms with Hollandaise sauce

Fresh salad leaves with your choice of balsamic dressing or wasabi cream dressing

MAIN
Loin of pork with sauce diable

Grilled salmon saikyo-yaki

Wild mushroom risotto with truffle-infused olive oil and freshly shaved Parmesan

BISTRO SELECTION
Mozzarella and tomato Panini

Warm ham and cheese sandwich

A selection of biscuits

FRUIT
Japanese fruit plate

I decided to start with the asparagus and it was lovely with chargrilled marks on the side and always goes well with Hollandaise.

After this I stuck with the mushroom element and had the risotto. This was very ice but a very small serving.

Finally I decided to pretend to be healthy and had the fruits for dessert. The crew twisted my arm into having a few glass of the mudpie to go with this. Mmmm, mmmm.

After the meal I changed back into my civvies and readied for landing at Heathrow.

The CSD dropped by and asked me to fill in a customer survey before we landed.

We touched down just after 15:00 and taxied to the gate at the C terminal. I thanked the great crew and then took the transit to the A terminal. The transit was playing up and as it approached the station at C it suddenly stopped and we could see all the crowds inside almost end up on their backsides. It decided to move a little and then again abruptly stopped.

Finally it pulled in properly and the crowds got out and those of us in C piled in to go back to A. We made it back without any more drama and up in the immigrations hall there was not much of a crowd.
IRIS was a happy mistress today and let me in to the country. I made my way straight down to the baggage hall and to my carousel where my bag promptly appeared from behind the rubber curtain.

Now that is how you do it. Shame it doesn’t happen that often.

I went out and down to the HEX for the ride back to Paddington and a stumped up for a taxi back to my flat.

Next up another diversion of sorts and more positioning flights.

More photos

Last edited by Moomba; Aug 30, 2012 at 1:57 pm
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1 MM
Thumbs up

Wonderful post! Thank you for the very detailed write-up about BA's First Class. My family and I will be flying later this year and we all can't wait to experience this. I have changed seats from 2A/K to 3A/K. Now I know why the 1A/K were the first seats to be booked! Cheers!
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:48 am

Excellent photos, although I think the food pictures would look better if they weren't half eaten.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Static911
Wonderful post! Thank you for the very detailed write-up about BA's First Class. My family and I will be flying later this year and we all can't wait to experience this. I have changed seats from 2A/K to 3A/K. Now I know why the 1A/K were the first seats to be booked! Cheers!
Are you on a 777? You do realise that these seats are on opposite sides of the plane with two seats in between. You will only be able to visit each other if you go through the galley.

Enjoy your F trip.

Originally Posted by furryraccoon
Excellent photos, although I think the food pictures would look better if they weren't half eaten.
Ah well that is FT trademark, pictures of half eaten food.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Thanks for the TR. Nice to see the new F suite.
Is that an anti-theft cable attached to the coat hanger?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mattm199
Thanks for the TR. Nice to see the new F suite.
Is that an anti-theft cable attached to the coat hanger?
Thanks mattm199. I don't think it is an anti-theft device more an avoidance of it being lost device.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
My God, people think I travel a lot! I’m strictly small time compared to your journeys. Moomba, this is an absolutely stunning amount of travel you have ever so faithfully chronicled for our enjoyment. Thanks for the effort, particularly the menu transcripts. It’s been a real pleasure to tag along with you through this report. ^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.