Wiki Posts
Search

un week-end à Montreal - LH & LX on MUC-YUL-ZRH

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More;
un week-end à Montreal - LH & LX on MUC-YUL-ZRH

(i didn`t know that even the french - known to be really proud of their language - also use english words)

As i am about to get ready for my next trip that starts fridy i guess its about time i write about the last one i took.

Last year Lufthansa had a flash-sale for business class tickets to some interesting destinations - and with very interesting prices. As the flight times to Montreal perfectly matched my schedule (and aside from a short stopover i have never been there) it was soon decided where to go.

Lufthansa has a non-stop flight from Munich to Montreal that leaves at 15:30 in Munich and arrives at Montral at 19:05. As i am working until 13:00 at Saturdays thats perfect timing: Finish work - go to the airport - fly to Montreal - and even arrive early enough so after checking in at the hotel you can hit the city. The timing of the return flight YUL-MUC was not that great - so i took Swiss via Zurich instead. (to arrive early enough for work)

I will divide the report into five chapters:

Chapter I this introduction
Chapter II MUC-YUL with Lufthansa Business Class
Chapter III Montreal - Part one
Chapter IV Montreal - Part two
Chapter V YUL-ZRH with Swiss Business Class
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Chapter II - MUC-YUL with Lufthansa Business Class

I finished work in time and soon was on my way to the airport. I had already checked in online - but stopped at one of the self-check-in-kiosks to print a real boarding pass. I don`t know about you, but i somehow find it strange that they allow you to board a plane with a simple piece of paper you print at home... I had no luggage to check in so i only had to pass security (there is a special line for Business & First class - but as usual at MUC there also wasn`t a long waiting time at the Economy Line. Also the passport check was a breeze - and so not even 10 minutes after i arrived at the airport i was already in the Lounge. I love Munich!!!

The business class Lounge is nothing special compared with some other airlines offerings - but they have enough seating, a good drink selection and a few warm and cold food offerings. Like the „Wiener“ (i think they are called Frankfurters elsewhere) with Potato-Salad i had.

Soon enough it was time to board. The Flight to Montreal was on a A340-300. For the friends of statistics: 53% of the longhaul flights i took so far where on A340 (-300&-600) - thats what happens when your Hubs are Munich and Zurich...

The seats are still the usual Lufthansa Business Class Seats in 2-2-2 layout. The cabin was quite busy during boarding - so i didn`t take a picture - but i am sure most of you know how they look like.

Soon after takeoff the service startet with the first round of drinks and some nuts.

Followed by the FA handing out the menu for this Flight.

Star Chef for this month was Patrik Kimpel from the Hotel & Restaurant Kronenschlösschen. He created the following Menu:

Hors d‘ouvres

Salmon Confit / Cucumber and Apple Salad / Wasabi Cream

Roulade of Guinea Fowl / Apricot Sauce / Pest and Potato Salad

Frisée / Iceberg / Arugula / yellow Bell Pepper / Cherry Tomatoes / Wild Garlic Dressing

Entrees

Cod / Potato and Horseradish Puree / Mustard Sauce

Orzo Vegetable Risotto / Toamtoes / Olives

In addition to the StarChef Menu Lufthansa also offers a third Entree Option called the LufthansaClassic - a favourite dish from international cuisine that changes every month. For this month it was Roast Veal in Cream Sauce with Vichy Carrots and Bread Dumplings - and for next month Beef Stroganoff with Tagliatelle is available.

Cheese and Dessert

Camenbert / Bavaria Blue / Emmental / dried Fruit Chutney / Walnuts

Rhubarb / Yogurt Cake

Fruit Salad

Each course was of course accompanied by a choice of bread and frequent refills of drinks. One thing regarding the service was new - for some time Lufthansa did serve the cheese course together with the starter - it seems this has changed now and they serve it at the end of the meal.

After the meal there was of course coffee served - accompanied by a little packet with two Mozartkugeln

I slept a few hours, watched a movie and very soon we where getting close to Montreal. Bevore Landing there was a Snack - consisting of different Tapas - served

Venison Ham / Fig and Walnut Chutney

Cream Cheese / Pumpernickel
Smoked Trout / Cucumber Cream / Keta Caviar
Mousse of Chicken Liver / Apricot Compote

Some very lets say „interesting“ combinations

Rheingau Riesling Tart

Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Chapter III - Montreal - Part one

Now let me share a few pictures and thoughts about the city with you.

My hotel was right in the city center - just around the corner from the Cathédrale Marie-Reine-du-Monde

The outside of the cathedral - as well as the inside is modelled after St.Peters Basilica in Rome (but a little smaller of course)

The city of Montreal was host to a few huge events. One of them beeing the Expo 1967 which took place on Ile Notre Dame and Ile Sainte-Hélène - two Islands in the Saint Lawrence River. (For those interested in Formula 1 - the Montreal Grand Prix course is on the Ile Notre-Dame) Most of the pavillons where removed after the Expo - the remaining one is the former pavilion of the United States - now called the Biosphère and featuring an Environment Museum.

As the island is just opposite from the Old Port you can also see the huge round Biosphère from there.

Another huge event that took Place in Montreal were the 1976 Olympic Summer Games. Bevore the boycotts in Moscow 1980 and Los Angeles in 1984 - these where games in which the whole world took part. Which you can clearly see by the flags of the participating Nations that are still flying beside the stadium.

The Olympic Stadium itself is famous for the „Tower of Montreal“ which is 175 Meters high - which makes it the tallest inclined Tower in the world. On the top floor of the tower is a viewing platform with a nice view over the city.

Just a few meters from the olympic stadium is the former velodrome - now called the „Montreal Biodome“. It features replicas of four different ecosystems found in the americas - complete with plants and wildlife. Like this waterfall from the Tropical forest of south america

and these penguins from the Antarctic for example.

What i really enjoyed about Montreal was how easy it is to get around. Most parts of the city center are easily accesible by foot - and for a little longer distances (like to the olympic stadium for example) you can use the subway.

After so much sightseeing its of course time to eat - a favourite dish in Montreal (and all of canada i have been told) is Poutine.

Montreal started as a important port city for the fur trade - and still has a harbour today.

The old harbour however is no longer used for shipping - there is a park now, the cirque du soleil has a tent on one of the former piers and even a beach is being constructed. But one well known Montreal Landmark still reminds of the maritime past - the Montreal Clock Tower.

Not far from the shore in the center of the old town is Montreals City Hall - or „Hotel de Ville“

Last edited by ARJ85; Apr 1, 2012 at 7:10 am
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Chapter IV - Montreal - Part two

Let me continue with some pictures i took in the streets of Montreal

If you want to guess what weekend i was in Montreal - here is a picture of the parade that took place.

Not far from the city center is Mont Royal - a 211m high mountain that gave the city its name. The whole area of the Mountain is a huge park with a few sights, a great view over the city (more on that later) and a small lake.

As it was one of the first warm weekends there where streams of meltwater throughout the park.

Of course there was still lots of snow and ice around - which didn`t stop the canadians to dress in summer clothes (including shoes) and go to the beach...

... even if the beach still looked like that.

Also the kids were enjoying the melting snow

But my main reason for visiting Mont Royal was because from up there you have a great view above the city:

Last edited by ARJ85; Apr 1, 2012 at 9:17 am
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Chapter V - YUL-ZRH with Swiss Business Class

Because of the earlier arrival time back in europe i took the Swiss Flight YUL-ZRH-MUC instead of the YUL-MUC nonstop back home. Swiss doesn`t have a own Lounge at Montreal Airport passengers can use the AirCanada Lounge instead. The Lounge was nothing special but you get two great things: Cookies and a view (i really don`t like lounges where you can`t see any airplanes)

The flight was on an A330-300 with the new business class product Swiss has on all its planes right now. Its a quite unusal layout with 1-2-1 and 2-2-1 alternating each row. Which means whatever you prefer for seating is available: single seats, double seats with one seat at the window, douple seats in the middle with direct aisle acces for both and so on.

The seat of course goes completely flat and even has air cushions inside which allow you to decide if you want it harder or softer.

The service startet soon after takeoff with chips and a first round of drinks.

While climbing i hade some great views over canada.

The flight time from Montreal to Zurich is almost too short to get enough sleep. So i was really happy that the first three courses where all served together on one plate.

I don`t have the menu anymore - so i don`t remember what the different choices as main course where - but i had:

Salad
(no different starter available)

Agnolotti filled with Mushrooms

(Which were great by the way)

and of course Cheese

And that was the dissapointing part of the Meal. From an airline from Switzerland i really expected more than just these two boring slices.

After that there was also a small dessert on offer.

Whats great about the service on this flight is, that everything was organized to maximize sleeping time. As mentioned bevore Lunch service started soon after takeoff - with one plate for most of the courses so you can really get to sleep as soon as possible.

For breakfast you got the following menu soon after takeoff

Where you could choose what you would like for Breakfast - so it would be available as soon as you wake up. You could also choose if you would like the crew to wake you for breakfast, or if you would prefer to sleep as long as possible. As i slept almost until touchdown i can`t comment on the breakfast.

So - thats about the second of three planned short trips this year. I hope you enjoyed reading about it - if you have any questions or comments - just ask.

And if you are interested in any of my other adventures - here you can find them:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-first-tr.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...australia.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ul-flyers.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-business.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...2-muc-szg.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...rst-japan.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...abu-dhabi.html

Last edited by ARJ85; Apr 1, 2012 at 10:19 am
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Excellent report ARJ85! And terrific pics of my old home town. It's fun to see how the first sign of warm weather brings out the summer clothes even if the snow and ice still haven't melted.

Where does LH catering come up with some of these ideas?? I remember a strawberries and shrimp combo on a recent flight.

Originally Posted by ARJ85
Cream Cheese / Pumpernickel
Smoked Trout / Cucumber Cream / Keta Caviar
Mousse of Chicken Liver / Apricot Compote

Some very lets say "interesting“ combinations
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Wonderful pics!
Old Apr 1, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Did you only stay 1 night or 2 nights? It seems you did a lot during the short weekend.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
Excellent report ARJ85! And terrific pics of my old home town. It's fun to see how the first sign of warm weather brings out the summer clothes even if the snow and ice still haven't melted.
Thanks for your kind words - and i really enjoyed the city - have to go back some time. And regarding canadians that are immune to cold weather - here is another one:

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
Did you only stay 1 night or 2 nights? It seems you did a lot during the short weekend.
Actually it was a quite relaxed trip. I stayed three nights: Arriving Saturday around 7 PM and leaving the following Tuesday around 6 PM - so almost three days. Crossing the atlantic for just one day would be too crazy even for me
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Very nice TR and good picture of Montreal, thanks.

I am glad that you had really enjoyed our city. I love Munich, and would go back any time.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ARJ85
Because of the earlier arrival time back in europe i took the Swiss Flight YUL-ZRH-MUC instead of the YUL-MUC nonstop back home. Swiss doesn`t have a own Lounge at Montreal Airport passengers can use the AirCanada Lounge instead. The Lounge was nothing special but you get two great things: Cookies and a view (i really don`t like lounges where you can`t see any airplanes)

Very nice report. Looks like you were sitting in my place

https://picasaweb.google.com/1063453...06119650274018
Old Apr 2, 2012, 6:33 am

Really nice photos. Thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
Nice photos indeed.
Was the Poutine any good? the fires look like they were quite greasy and I really cannot picture such a dish being tasty (then again, that might just be me).
Old Apr 2, 2012, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WC_EEND
Was the Poutine any good? the fires look like they were quite greasy and I really cannot picture such a dish being tasty (then again, that might just be me).
Grease (the older the better) is a key ingredient in fries in Quebec. No doubt why they taste so good.
A regular diet of poutine is probably not good for the arteries. One of the reasons I moved.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What a fabulous TR!!! I'm glad you have a great time and enjoy for your stay. I can see beautiful waterfall. I never been there before. Is that melting already? Soon, the summer time is coming up. The weather will get extremely hot during in summer. You will get sweating all over the body.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.