Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Losing Myself and My Belongings in Argentina and Uruguay (United BusinessFirst)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2012, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Introduction
Buenos Aires is special for me. My grandfather was born here, and I actually have a degree in Latin American Studies. I’ve always enjoyed the time I have spent in Argentina’s capital.

It was definitely time to get away. I’d been working too hard, my relationship is circling the drain, and I wanted a break. Although I’ve travelled a lot this year, each trip has been for a family visit. Despite the joys of seeing my relatives in Europe, I wanted to be where my family was not. Argentina has only ancestral heritage, and I have no living relatives here anymore (at least none known to me.) Though I had some friends to visit here.

Airfares were no bargain. I managed to snag a “Z” fare, but it was actually more than I’d ever spent on a plane ticket in my life. Oh well; upgrades weren’t available, and I wasn’t about to fly to the other end of the earth in economy class.

Day of Departure
I’d hoped to sleep in, go to the gym, and then catch my 1:05 pm departure. Of course not. There were many last-minute emergencies, and I ended up going into the office to see some patients and handle some urgent concerns. Par for the course. At least I managed to solve some patient problems before flying 7,000 miles away.

Despite a traffic jam, I still made it to the airport 90 minutes prior to departure. Phew!

Sea-Tac
There was a short line for check-in. Many agents were huddling over various computers trying to figure out the “SHARES” system. It seemed that everyone was flustered. For whatever reason, the kiosk read my passport and spit out a baggage tag within seconds.

There was also no line at all at the TSA checkpoint. In fact, the staff were friendly. I mean it. Friendly, cheerful, telling jokes. I still hate what they do, but they were sincere and pleasant. It was surreal. Aware that the Elite/First line lacks a full-body x-ray, I whisked through the metal detector.

United Club Seattle and OOPS!
Once again, a United agent was flustered, shaking her head at the “SHARES” system, pulling her hair out.

As I sat down for a coffee and some juice I realized that my laptop was missing. WHOOSH! I ran back to the checkpoint, explained the problem, and they had my laptop back in my hands within two minutes.

Oddly enough, I’d purchased insurance for my laptop just one day prior, thinking that it would be stolen at a checkpoint—not that I’d be scatterbrained enough to leave it behind. (I did this once years ago coming back form Tel Aviv to Atlanta, so I knew that the computer could be recovered if I acted quickly.)
The TSA staff seemed genuinely happy when they saw my relief. I sent a compliment via their web site. They’re usually horrible, so I wanted to reward them for being so kind.

United 1174
SEA-IAH
22 March 2012
Seat 1B

As expected, the flight was completely full, but I’d managed to snag 1B at the time of check in (it’s my favorite seat.)

The crew were jittery, disorganized, and not at all friendly. It was strange to be on a 737NG with drop down video screens. I thought that all of them had Direct TV or nothing. This led to great difficulties figuring out the safety demo, but it was eventually worked out. They did show a free feature film, but I skipped it in favor of my now treasured laptop. The guy next to me wanted to watch the movie, and 1A’s audio was broken, so I swapped seats with him. It didn’t really faze me to do so.

Service improved as the flight went on. The Puerto Rican flight attendant who took over for first class turned out to be quite cheerful once things settled down.

This flight was switched from “lunch” to “snack” after I bought the ticket, so I was dreading the same deli plate I’ve been served for more than a decade.

Nope.

The food was good!. Pasta salad with roast chicken, a fruit bowl (including mangoes and pineapples!), and a Love and Quiches brownie. I thought it was all quite good, and actually better than some Continental warm lunches. I think they should warm up rolls and serve them with the snack, but that’s a pretty minor complaint. I also much prefer the brownies over Milano cookies.

I enjoyed a Heineken, and then had a passable cup of coffee (after verifying that it was Kova and not the miserable Fresh Brew.)

We arrived a few minutes early into one of the “E” gates.

United Club Houston and OOPS again!

I wanted to shower between flights and headed up to the third floor. Once in the shower room I realized that I’d left my toiletry bag on the plane. This included medicines, among other irreplaceable items.

I’m actually a pro at this. I’ve left my toiletry bag in the Northwest WorldClub en route to Paris, in the bathroom of Continental 767-400 during the 30-minute flight from São Paulo to Rio, and in a Berlin Hotel Room. I think my car keys (including the @#$! $250 Volkswagen “switchblade” key”) are still hidden in a US Airways A321.

Once I figured out my arrival gate, I ran down the hallway and spoke to the gate agent. She walked with me down to the plane, and voilá!, there it was, sitting on my seat. Phew! The agent was all smiles, happy to have helped me. “Well you can always get your prescriptions at a Walgreens somewhere,” she suggested. “Not in Argentina,” I explained. She grabbed my shoulder and couldn’t stop laughing.

The Seattle-Houston crew were still at the gate and witnessed what happened. Although they’d been so prickly before, they were all smiles. I think they were happy to see that a problem had been fixed, and that I was relieved. We then joked about their upcoming layover in Tulsa. They weren’t really looking forward to it (“There’s a Wal-Mart,” they explained.)

Back to the United Club, I still had a chance to shower, respond to a kajillion emails, and check, double check, cross check, and recheck all of my belongings.

I was starting to think that I should travel as an unaccompanied minor. Someone get me a red and white striped button!

United 53
IAH-EZE
23 March 2012
Seat 1B

I’d thought about a Dulles connection to get a better business class seat, but I knew that Houston was an easier airport to navigate, and I’m more accustomed to Continental crews and service.

I’m so accustomed to Continental that I kept looking for flight 54. That’s a flight from Newark to Paris that I’ve taken too many times. I’ve obviously developed some sort of Continental-induced dementia.

Boarding was troublesome. The guy in front of me had several small children and attempted to board when they called for “those needing special assistance.” He was cast aside and given a lecture about how strollers don’t count as “special assistance” or “extra time.” He then got a lecture about how this was meant for wheelchairs. Oh c’mon, let the guy with the little kids get on the plane!

I noted that there was no concierge at the gate or on board. I really hope that program hasn’t been cut.

Once on board, I was met with no smiles whatsoever. Buenos Aires always flies very, very senior. One of the flight attendants seemed downright schizo and started talking about her need to buy Xanax in Argentina. Another was discussing his recent hip dislocation and broken foot

Once again, I started to question how I would handle an emergency evacuation knowing that the crew would not be able to assist me or anyone else. I was certain of one thing I’d be very diligent about following instructions to leave my carry-on luggage on the plane in the event of an emergency.

Fortunately, I sat on the “speaker side.” The A & B seats are usually served by a language of destination speaker, and that usually means someone nicer and younger. Bingo! Gabriela was awesome. She is from Argentina, genuine, friendly, and funny. I felt abundantly lucky to be in her section. There were no other smiles to be found on the rest of the 767 crew. You couldn’t pry a smile out of them with a crowbar.

Once airborne, the service was unchanged from Continental. The menu was all familiar territory and the order of the service progressed as it has for years. The menu itself is much prettier than the Continental blue and gold version, but its contents are the same:
TO BEGIN
Fresh Seasonal Greens
Tomatoes and Mandarin orange segments with your choice of buttermilk ranch or classic Caesar dressing
For your enjoyment, you may add smoked salmon and orange peppered salmon to your salad.

MAIN COURSE
Grilled Pork Chop
Green peppercorn sauce, shiitake mushroom bread pudding, fresh broccolini and white asparagus

Osso Buco-style Breast of Chicken
Mushroom ragout, roasted garlic polenta cake and broccolini

San Francisco-style Cioppino
Sea bass and lobster in a savory shellfish stew topped with green asparagus

Artichoke and Ricotta Cheese-filled Canneloni
Arugula sauce, mixed sautéed vegetables and grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese

TO FINISH
International Cheese Selection

Seedless grapes with crackers served with Vista Alegre LBV Port
Dessert

Ice cream with your choice of toppings or petite pastries

PRIOR TO ARRIVAL
Fresh Seasonal Fruit and Yogurt

Mushroom Omelette
Broccoli-potato gratin, turkey sausage and a cherry tomato

Cereal and Fruit
Milk and a banana

Breakfast breads with butter and fruit preserves
What’s missing?
No more cappuccino or espresso. This is hardly a great loss; the Kova coffee is a big improvement over Fresh Brew, and I never liked the espresso after they gave up Timothy’s. I also didn’t like the nasty looks from crew if I ordered it.
The dishes are the same as before, minus the multi-tint blue edges.
There are no hot appetizers or a cheese cart on these flights, but it’s always been that way.

The wine list did not match the menu. I had a Cabernet/Malbec/Cab Sav blend, which was sort of okay.

Campari is gone, except perhaps from Italy flights. I know it’s an acquired taste, but it’s a taste that I have acquired myself.

The guy sitting next to me smelled horrible, so I experimented with soap and hand lotion under my nose to block the stench. It was a bit like the scene from Silence of the Lambs.

With appropriate stench protection, I happily watched Little Miss Sunshine, and then passed out until breakfast.

As is becoming more frequent, there were no introductions The purser, Eduardo, didn’t introduce himself at all (PA or otherwise), there were no greetings my name, no thank you’s at the end of the flight. I think the crews have just given up on this courtesy. Since the amenity kits and menus were already on the seats, there was no need to pass them out and offer a welcome or introduction.

Ezeiza
We disembarked quickly, and immigration was extremely fast—much faster than I’ve ever experienced at Ezeiza. The immigration agents were all smiles, and welcomed me back to Argentina.

Bags took about 15 minutes or so. I ran into Gabriela at the baggage claim, and she gave me a kiss goodbye. I think that made up for the rest of the crew’s grumpiness.

Customs was slow but not onerous. Multiple widebodies arrived at once, so it took a while to x-ray everyone’s bags, as is usual at Ezeiza. It probably took 20 minutes at the most. Nobody collected my customs form, and the woman at the x-ray machine was friendly.

I had a remis waiting, and I was on my way into town without delay.

Hotel Mío, Buenos Aires
I’d never used OnePass or MileagePlus hotel rewards before. It turns out that it’s really quite easy, and this seemed like a good deal. I did a lot of math to figure out the value of a frequent flyer mile versus the hotel room. In my case, I have more miles than I can ever use, so it made sense.

The Mío isn’t just nice, it’s fantastic. My large room feels like something out of a design magazine (there are only two rooms per floor.) There is a spectacular spa with a massive shallow Jacuzzi and a “Scottish shower.”

The staff are exceptionally friendly, accommodating, and genuine.

The included breakfast was lavish by any standard: a wide array of fresh fruits, yogurt, breads, cakes, eggs, cappuccino, juices, and—of course—dulce de leche. The service was attentive and cheerful, and the concierge, Bruno, even stopped by to greet guests in the morning.

The neighborhood (Recoleta Sur) is chic. It’s several blocks from the Subte, but I was happy to walk most places anyway.

Buenos Aires
What a delight! Perfect weather, fantastic scenery, and delicious food. The bonarenses have kept their remarkable friendliness (I was caught “off-guard” by the kindness of a policewoman when I asked for directions.) Buenos Aires is cleaner than ever, and the economy has improved, so I haven’t come across as much panhandling as in the past. It’s still here, but not as noteworthy.

I went to Erev Shabbat services last night at the Templo Libertador, where I was welcomed with open arms. Since today is Día de la Memoria, I will go to at least one of the events at the Plaza de Mayo as Argentina comes to terms with the 36th anniversary of the dictatorship.

Last edited by Mats; Mar 24, 2012 at 9:06 am
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:50 am
Community Director Emerita

Great report. I love your intro that gave us a sense of you and why this destination is special. And I laughed when you wrote perhaps you needed to have a red and white striped button! I'm glad you were able to recover the missing both times.

Have a wonderful visit.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

The DÍa de Memoria events were kind of fascinating. There was a lot of energy, a lot emotion, not necessarily a consistent message. But I was glad to be a witness to the reaction of young people to memories of the South Atlantic war and the Dictatorship.

On Sunday, I met up with a friend and spent the afternoon walking in Palermo. Of course I didn’t want to miss out on Freddo, which was as delicious as ever.

PU 118
26 March 2012
AEP-PDP (Punta del Este)
Seat 5B

After a quick, very cheap taxi to Aeroparque, I was ready for the next part of my journey.

There was no line at all to check in. The PLUNA agent tried to save me the baggage fees, but I had liquids, and knew that there was no around that. He was genuinely apologetic. I didn’t actually care that much; the ticket was ridiculously cheap, and I’d never paid a baggage fee in my life.

Getting through Aeroparque was a minor hassle. For the first time in years, I set off the metal detector. This was much to my bafflement and that of the security guard. We couldn’t figure out what set it off, so I had a very fast frisk and we both shrugged.

There was further hassle because I had completed the Uruguay immigration card in advance, but one most complete an Argentina departure card as well. I had long lost my pen, and there were no pens anywhere in the immigration area. There were three of us asking a customs agent for a pen, which did not make him happy. We got lectured about travelling without pens. (I had brought one, but it disappeared; I swear. I usually have a backup, but not this time.)

Immigration was subsequently painless, and then involved a walk through a massive, expensive Duty Free Shop (I had vague memories of this from years ago.)

Boarding was expeditious and friendly. Unexpectedly, we got to walk to the plane instead of taking a bus for three meters.

The CRJ-900 was new and nicely equipped in grey leather. It would not be a pleasant trip for a flight to—say—São Paulo—but it was perfectly comfortable for the 40 minute flight across the Rio de la Plata. There was nobody next to me, which helped.

The cabin crew were impressively friendly and professional. They paid close attention to safety, and were kind to a family with a screaming baby. It was too turbulent for any sort of service in the cabin, but time passed quickly.

For whatever reason, my mind wandered on to the obviously reserve flight attendant on the Houston to Buenos Aires flight. I heard her asking everyone if Buenos Aires was on the beach. I wanted to suggest that she consult her "complimentary copy of Hemispheres magazine, which might contain useful information, such as a map of the world. I think she was too busy hating life and complaining to think about geography.

Arrival in Punta del Este did feature a ridiculous short bus ride. (The winner in this category was an American Eagle flight at JFK, but this was a close second.)
Immigration was very fast, and it was both pen and pain free. My bag was already on the belt. It was x-rayed (I don’t think anyone was watching the screen), and I was on my way.

I hopped in a taxi, which cost a whopping $65 for a nauseating, hair-raising cab ride down the coast. I kept thinking, “Should I have rented a car?” But I wasn’t sure if the taxi or a car rental would be the fastest route to a traumatic brain injury.

La Posta del Cangrejo, La Barra, Maldonado, Uruguay

A friend strongly suggested that I stay a bit further from the action in Punta del Este. He made it quite clear that La Posta del Cangrejo was the only good choice, and I took his advice.

I think he was right. The fancier digs, like the Conrad, are more for people who want to “be seen,” and I wanted to get away from it all (as I write this, a patient just called me. Damn mobile phones. It was someone from a previous practice who saved me number. It's okay; I'm glad I could help him.)

La Posta del Cangrejo is nothing as swank as the Mío in Buenos Aires, but it’s pleasant in an old-timey sort of way. It’s in traditional Spanish style, on the beach, and the staff are friendly. It’s walking distance to lower-key bars and—hallelujah!—a Freddo.

There are two autographed photos of George H.W. Bush in the lobby. It’s kind of baffling because everyone I know form Uruguay is a die-hard liberal. In fact, one friend-of-a-friend had a hard time being in my presence because I have a US passport. I was once in a Montevideo hotel and got a lengthy lecture about neo-colonialism and the GOP. Bottom line: I would have expected to see an autographed photo from Lenin, not Bush Senior.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:12 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
loving what I'm reading so far, I'm looking forward to the rest as I am trying to plan a trip to EZE and MVD just trying to find some award space on the return.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

La Barra, Uruguay (continued)
I really enjoyed La Barra despite the rain.
La Posta del Congrejo was not the “lap of luxury,” but that wasn’t the point. I liked the views of the water, the friendly service, and the relative absence of activity. I do think it was overpriced, but appeared to be a very good choice compared with other hotels I saw. Furthermore, I really didn’t want to be in Punta del Este itself, where they were making a fuss about a party including Mark Zuckerberg. Not my kind of party.

Amigo
A dog kept following me everywhere. I nicknamed him, “Amigo.” He loved to play, and kept following me to the beach. He would wait for me outside, which I found endearing. I asked the nearby veterinarian if she knew him. “No,” she said, “”But you have a new friend.. The next morning, Amigo was still waiting for me outside. I miss him already.

On my last day, the hotel staff suggested that I travel by bus, not taxi, to the bus terminal, in part because it would be 1/35th of the cost. The bus took marginally longer, and was nowhere near as scary as the taxi.

After some deliberation the woman from “COT” buses provided me with a boarding card for the 1.5 hour tri p to Montevideo’s Carrasco Airport.
The bus was no gem, but the trip was short.

Montevideo Carrasco Airport
I hadn’t been here since Carrasco’s huge renovation. It was impressive. The Airport is now of first-world standards, clean, friendly, and easy to navigate.
It took 20 minutes to check in since only two agents were working. But I actually had time to spare.

The agent asked me if I had an overseas connection. Without verifying anything, I gave him my connecting flight information, and he waived the checked baggage fee. I knew that United’s contract security agents wouldn’t like this plan, but I gladly accepted the waived baggage fee.

Immigration and security were extremely fast, and I was once again faced with a huge duty free shop.

Pluna 367
MVD-EZE
28 March 2012
Seat 8C

Once again, Pluna offered rapid, friendly, clean, dependable service. It wasn’t comfortable aboard the CRJ-900, but it was also fairly painless. The crew were overwhelmingly friendly, and I enjoyed the quick, thirty-minute trip across the Rio de la Plata.

Ezeiza
I was prepared for the worst. Evening departures from Ezeiza can be a nightmare, but I actually did just fine.

Immigration took about 10 minutes, and I decided to claim my bag and re-check it with United rather than risk the interline tag from PLUNA.
There was no line to check in, and the security agent was disarmingly friendly. Unlike previous experiences, I was given a little slip of paper in lieu of a passport sticker for the security interview. It seemed like a bad idea (easy to lose).

It seemed the most passengers were in good spirits; I didn’t hear many loud foreigners complaining about the lines.

We arrive at 5:50 pm, and I was in the United Club by 7:00 pm. By Ezeiza standards, this is great. There were long lines for boarding pass checks, security, then immigration. All of the staff were friendly, and security was exceptionally painless.

The United Club, was—of course—a zoo. United formerly used the “Sala de las Americas,” but has since consolidated to one club.

WiFi worked briefly… just in time to receive 17 work-related emails and then immediately head for the bar!

Not much in the way of food, but there was an open bar, and I made myself a rusty nail. That made the email storm seem not quite so bad.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
As this report clearly shows, it is possible to provide a quality trip report without relying upon photographs. Thanks for a good read, Mats! ^^

What a shame that UA/CO should even allow into its premium cabins such dour FAs as you describe. The US airlines might actually garner more revenue in those cabins if they staffed them with FAs who were trained to a higher standard with regard to personable and welcoming service. I look forward to my next trip to Argentina!
Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Seat 2A. You are one of the kings of trip reports, so I value your compliments.

I'm not much of a photographer, so I rely on the written word.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

UA52
EZE-IAH
28 March
Seat 1D

Boarding started one hour prior to departure. There were the mandatory three questions, followed by a very cursory search for liquids. This search was for all passengers. There was no explosive detection equipment, no random frisking (the Delta passengers next door got the random wandings. We didn’t.)

Interestingly, the flight boarding on the opposite side was on AeroSur of Bolivia, which just ceased operations.

Once on board, I was greeted with professionalism and smiles for the entire ten hours. I was originally in 1B, but switched in order to keep a couple from being separated. I hate 1D, but it was pretty tame on this flight. I still slept for 7.5 hours, so it was fine.

Passengers were respectful of my sleep, and nobody was climbing around me to get to a bathroom.

The two flight attendants serving the BusinessFirst cabin were both “speakers,” and both cheerful and accommodating. The purser, Jeff, was in a good mood, but essentially stayed in the main cabin.

Aside from stale bread, the food was good. The sundaes included dulce de leche instead of regular caramel.
TO BEGIN

Fresh Seasonal Greens
Cucumber, sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and black olive with your choice of cucumber-mint dressing or balsamic vinaigrette.

For your enjoyment, you may add smoked salmon with capers and dill to your salad.

MAIN COURSE

Grilled Tenderloin of Beef
Sun-dried tomato crust, herb demi-glace with potatoes au gratin and grilled zucchini, red bell pepper, pumpkin, and eggplant

Roasted Breast of Chicken
Tomato sauce, herbed couscous with currants, zucchini with basil and carrot sticks

Sautéed Shrimp
Maître d’hôtel butter, basmati rice and julienned vegetables with mushrooms

Agnolotti Pasta
Crescent-shaped pasta filled with sweet potatoes served over tomato-basil sauce, topped with sage sauce and Parmesan cheese

TO FINISH

International Cheese Selection
Seedless grapes and crackers served with Vista Alegre LBV Port

Dessert
Ice cream with your choice of toppings or petite pastries and sweets

PRIOR TO ARRIVAL

Fresh Seasonal Fruit and Yogurt

Omelette

Grilled smoked ham, rösti potatoes, sautéed mushrooms and grilled tomato

Cereal and Fruit
Milk and a banana
Houston
We arrived in Houston about ten minutes ahead of schedule, and a Jetway was waiting for us. I was the first off the plane, whisked through Global Entry, and my bag was on the belt when I arrived.

That was too easy.

Security was then a 50-minute wait. They had ten employees working, one checkpoint open, and everyone had to go through the MMW machine, which led to an agonizingly slow process. Since about 40-50 percent of people require a “resolution pat down” from the machine, it takes forever. It goes without saying that there was a lot of yelling by the TSA staff. As we all know, those who do not speak English understand it much more clearly if one yells.

I can’t wait for Pre-Check, but it doesn’t apply for international flights. That’s so smart, because we all know that the September 11th attacks all started with international flight… oh yeah right.

After security chaos and screaming, I made my way to the C33 United Club, where I was met with grace and warmth. I took a pleasant shower, featuring a heated towel rack.

UA1259
IAH-SEA
29 March
Seat 1B

As we boarded, a passenger asked the flight attendant at the door “How are you today?” “You don’t want to know,” she replied. Yikes.

The crew had a loud and lengthy discussion about white wine and going to the Jacuzzi naked. Do they not know that passengers in the front row hear all of this?

The situation improved after takeoff. The “You don’t really want to know” woman made her way to the back, and the crew in first class were reasonable. It was an exceptionally turbulent flight, but they still managed to serve everyone and keep their cool.

Lunch consisted of either the usual chicken wrap or boring salad with chicken breast. This came with hot nuts, a small fruit cup (no mangoes or pineapples), a very warm and non-stale role, and a very good, very hot chocolate chip cookie later on. Although the fruit was kind of stale and there weren’t table linens, I felt that the lunch was the same as any other Continental lunch. I have no reason to complain.

Sea-Tac
The North Satellite was a mess when we landed. Huge crowds were impeding my exit from the plane. The bathroom was shocking. I’ll spare the details, but let’s just say that it was horrifically disgusting and I have a pretty high tolerance for disgusting places.

I actually used the United Club just for the bathroom.
By the time a got my way through the crowded train and back to the terminal, there was perhaps another five-minute wait for my bag, and I was on my way.

Conclusion

A lovely trip. I was so happy to be back in Argentina and Uruguay. It had been far too long.

Continental/United
Nothing unexpected. Some elements are still great, but the attention to service is long gone. They would be wise to re-emphasize the roles of the concierge and purser in BusinessFirst, try to offer more individual attention, and other tools that do not cost anything to provide.

The domestic flights were bearable. Not exactly fun, but not horrible. I don’t think US Airways, Delta, or American would have anything more to offer.

PLUNA
I had a very good experience with PLUNA. They were insanely cheap and very friendly. Probably not a great choice for long-distance travel, but a perfect option for the 30-minute flights across the Rio de la Plata.

Hotel Mío Buenos Aires
How soon can I go back? What a great spot with a terrific location and phenomenal service! Say the word, and I’m on my way back to that place. It’s by far the nicest hotel I’ve been to in Buenos Aires.

La Posta del Congrejo
I’d like to go back to La Barra, but I think I would investigate renting an apartment. This was largely a function of travelling by myself. Next time around, I think I would also think about renting a car (and definitely avoid a taxi.)

There was nothing wrong with La Posta del Congrejo, and the view was fantastic, but it wasn’t really worth the price tag.

Ezeiza
Still kind of crowded, but it’s not bad. Give yourself enough time, and there won’t be any hassles. The only really long delay was customs on arrival.

Montevideo/Carrasco
Wow! A totally different place from a few years ago. It’s spotless and easy. The staff were friendly, immigration and security were a breeze.

Houston/IAH
Yikes! The TSA strikes again. Just the thought of them raises my blood pressure, so I’m trying to erase that memory from my mind.

Sea-Tac
Things should improve when United moves to the “A” gates. For now, it’s not a good place. In fact, it’s a reason to make sure I have a United Club membership.

Last edited by Mats; Apr 1, 2012 at 3:28 pm
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:16 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
A great read. Thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:44 pm

Interesting trip report - I hate when I forget things on the plane! Ugh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.