YUL-PSP via JFK and YVR?? Another amazing Cathay Pacific First Class experience

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2012, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Vaclav
Another great TR, thanks!
Question: How do you find time to write and post all those TRs so fast?
Hope your wife gets well soon.
Thanks Vaclav and your wishes for Mrs. SFO. Writing the TRs have morphed into a hobby and I now find it very relaxing. I started this one in the BA lounge, uploaded and edited pics in the Priority Lounge at YVR and wrote a lot of it on the YVR-PSP flight.

Originally Posted by jmw2323
the BA F lounge at JFK is pretty poor. Made the mistake of spending way too much time there last may. Will be there again in 2 months and will definitely shorten my stay. It also has the slowest wifi on the planet. I also experienced top notch personal service in CX F, JFK-YVR. Not quite as personable going YVR-JFK
Thinking about doing YVR-JFK next time but I'm concerned about connecting inbound from SFO without allowing an extra cushion for SFO ATC weather delays. Is the CX Flounge at YVR worth spending a lot of time? I wasn't really impressed with the new SFO lounge. Now if it was like the Wing, that might change things.

Originally Posted by macabus
It sounds like a superb flight SFO777, I'm envious! Great planning to get an incredible value.
I'll keep this flight in mind for the future...
Cheers,
M
Thanks macabus. Will definitely do this one again and next time, see if I can finish two PD bottles.

Originally Posted by gohima
Trying to find an excuse to do jfk-yvr-lax on a trip back to see my folks in LA. I yearn for more krug!
Great TR so far like always.
Thanks gohima. Go for it.

Originally Posted by amolkold
You haven't even gotten to the heart of the TR and I'm already convinced to make my next JFK-LAX transcon into a JFK-YVR-LAX CX/AS trek. I might just transfer 25K MR to BA right now ...
I think he posted one part from the PSP-SFO flight. The timings are close. Makings of another great one, SFO777 ^
Almost. I posted that one from the gate just prior to boarding the VX flight.

Originally Posted by amaroo
Are you trying to erase the memory of that last F QF 744 ^
What QF 744?

Originally Posted by noniron
Back to back SFO777 trip reports! Wow! You are spoiling us
Thanks noniron, but I think I was the one being spoiled.

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I'd never thought of this easy way to check out CX F...I know where my BA Avios are headed in the near future.
It is not for everyone mind you. You arrive at YVR in the middle of the night, sleep in the terminal for a couple of hours and then connect to where you were actually trying to go. Most people (even many who have flown CX) would think this is simply crazy.

Originally Posted by blackmamba
Once again, great pictures! Thank you so much for sharing!
Thanks blackmamba. I'm just bummed that I didn't have my Canon this trip so some of the pics are not as good as I'd like.

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
I was wondering how SFO777 could message me when he was having the 3rd glass of Pre-Departure Krug, lol Me and jfkeze will make you proud in 2 weeks!
I'm waiting for the bombshell you'll drop later on, hehe
FA Carrie kept apologizing for the delay and was pretty amused when I told her that I hoped the flight was delayed even more and once airborne, we encountered strong head winds.
I won't spill the beans. But, your plan sounds fun, and tempting.

Originally Posted by infamousdx
Great quick planning and a definitely the most economical way to see CX F! We'll be taking 889 in F next winter for our Whistler snowboarding trip.
Even better since you are actually traveling between YVR and NYC. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by 31dany
Enjoyed once again your TR... A very patient man Mr. SFO
Thanks 31dany.

Originally Posted by zookeeper
I am sorry for the unfortunate circumstances surrounding this trip, but I am very excited to read the rest of another excellent TR. I can't think of a better way to cross the continent than on CX F!
zookeeper, thanks for your concern.
Imagine if CX flew a few more transcon routes.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Ah, brings back great memories of our ORD-HKG trip on CX. Does CX hand out PJs on JFK-YVR in F? Thanks for the excellent report - sorry about the circumstances in which the trip had to be planned.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Where are you going next?

Oh, it may be a secret...
Old Mar 23, 2012, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

JFK-YVR
CX 889
continued...

Shortly after take-off, and I do mean shortly, Stephanie and Carrie were in action. First and most important order of business, close the curtain to keep out those J pax.

While the JFK-YVR segment features a somewhat abbreviated Supper menu without the caviar, it was more than adequate and again puts the NA airlines to shame. While we were waiting at the gate, Carrie and I had reviewed tonight's menu and the wine list (yes, the '04 Lynch-Bages is preferable to the '07) and I had already made my choices.

New York - Vancouver
Supper

Starters
Smoked Salmon carpaccio with avocado creme fraiche timbale and capers
Truffle potato soup
Caesar salad with marinated prawns

Main Courses
Grilled USDA prime beef tenderloin with creme de cassis onion marmalade, mashed potatoes, baby carrots, asparagus and artichoke
Rigatoni with gorgonzola cheese sauce and mixed vegetables

Chinese Favourites
Double boiled duck with winter melon soup
Cold plate - vegetarian duck
Stir-fried lobster with scallion and ginger, steamed jasmine rice, kailan with black mushroom and carrot flower

Cheese and Dessert
Cambozola, St. Paulin, Goat Cheese, Yellow Cheddar
Raspberry yoghurt cake with raspberry coulis

Tea and Coffee
Pralines

SNACKS
Wontons in noodle soup
Ice cream

The wine list was exactly the same as our SFO-HKG list from last month.

Champagne
Krug Grande Cuvee Champagne

White
2007 Estancia Reserve Monterey Chardonnay
2008 Vincent Girardin Puligny-Montrachet Vieilles Vignes

Red
2010 Sauvion Deliction Chinon
2009 Finca Origen Gran Reserva Malbec
2004 Chateau Lynch Bages Grand Cru Classe Pauillac

Port
Ramos Pinto Quinta da Ervamoira 10 Year Tawny

With meticulous item by item placement of each table item, my 1AM dinner began. The Smoked Salmon carpaccio with avocado creme fraiche timbale and capers was sensational.

Carrie already knew my wine sequence preferences and had already presented and poured my first glass of the wonderful 2008 Girardin Puligny-Montrachet Vieilles Vignes. I recall having 3 glasses of this, but quite frankly and as you will read later, it could have been more.

As I usually do on CX, I went for the Chinese menu tonight starting with the nice Double Boiled duck with winter melon soup, even better with chili sauce.

The Cold plate - vegetarian duck stumped me. Vegetarian duck? No idea whether it was really duck as it seemed more like mushrooms (which I love in pastry). Didn't really matter actually as I slathered more chili sauce on it and devoured it, and another glass of the Puligny.

OMG, the stir fry lobster with scallion and ginger was fabulous. Another glass of the Puligny, and for fun, a glass of the 2010 Dilection, which I had enjoyed from SFO-HKG.

Kailan with black mushroom and carrot flower were lovely. And another glass of Puligny.

One of the wonderful things about First on the CX 777 is that you can't see or generally even hear anyone else. I know that the fool in 1A passed on supper and went to sleep right after take-off. Not sure about 2D and 2K, but at this point, I'm thinking that Carrie and Stephanie are wondering just how much this guy in 2A can drink and eat.

I believe this qualifies as a double cheese portion, accompanied by a glass of Ramos Pinto port.

Mr. SFO, do you still have room for dessert? Silly girl. Bring it on, and perhaps another glass of Puligny??? We're getting to the best part of Money Ball, for the 6th time in the last month.

Pralines? Why not?

No idea what time it was but I'm guessing around 2:15AM-2:30AM EST, I head to the lav and tell Carrie that it's bedtime. I changed into my PJ tops and returned a couple minutes later to a beautifully turned down bed. Apparently I passed out soon after lying down as the next thing I remember is the captain announcing that we were 25 minutes to landing in YVR. Wow, I guess alcohol is indeed a substitute for Ambien. Or at least two bottles worth are. macabus, how you could have consumed 8 bottles of Dom in 27 hours is beyond me. My hero indeed!

A quick trip to the lav to freshen up (more like try to wake up), brush teeth and change, and I was back with Carrie offering me juice, coffee, tea, etc.. Sadly, we touched down at 3AM just a little over 5 hours after take-off. Thanks to the wonderful Carrie and Stephanie and CX for another memorable CX experience. ^

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 23, 2012 at 9:14 pm
Old Mar 23, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO777

Thinking about doing YVR-JFK next time but I'm concerned about connecting inbound from SFO without allowing an extra cushion for SFO ATC weather delays. Is the CX Flounge at YVR worth spending a lot of time? I wasn't really impressed with the new SFO lounge. Now if it was like the Wing, that might change things.
I wouldn't waste more than an hour in the YVR Flounge. Very disappointing.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 7:55 pm

Sadly, we touched down at 3AM just a little over 5 hours after take-off.
flight is definitely too short. too short to enjoy and too short to sleep. I stayed up and slept when i got to the hotel near YVR
Old Mar 23, 2012, 8:24 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many

It is not for everyone mind you. You arrive at YVR in the middle of the night, sleep in the terminal for a couple of hours and then connect to where you were actually trying to go. Most people (even many who have flown CX) would think this is simply crazy.
Well, I figure if I went from he airport to a hotel, spent a few days in YVR then took the Amtrak Cascade down to visit friends in Seattle it could be a nice west coast swing. Do they do the full service (caviar, PJ's, amenity kits, etc...) for the transcon?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Do they do the full service (caviar, PJ's, amenity kits, etc...) for the transcon?
as mentioned above, no caviar on JFK-YVR-JFK legs. yes to pi's, amenity kits, krug, etc...
Old Mar 23, 2012, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmw2323
as mentioned above, no caviar on JFK-YVR-JFK legs. yes to pi's, amenity kits, krug, etc...
While the caviar is great, the salmon carpaccio was so good that I didn't really miss the caviar. Double yes to the PJs and I actually took them home with me this time. This flight was so amazing that I already told Mrs. SFO that I'm doing it again next month. Since she's in bed by 11P, I rationalized "what's the difference with me getting home at midnight or 9AM the next day"? She actually thinks I have a point. ^
What could be better than a monthly CX First fix?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP
While the caviar is great, the salmon carpaccio was so good that I didn't really miss the caviar. Double yes to the PJs and I actually took them home with me this time. This flight was so amazing that I already told Mrs. SFO that I'm doing it again next month. Since she's in bed by 11P, I rationalized "what's the difference with me getting home at midnight or 9AM the next day"? She actually thinks I have a point. ^
Yeah you should tell her you don't want to interrupt her sleep if you get back at midnight!

So are we going to get a review of poor man Westjet YVR-PSP and subsequent PSP-SFO on VX F?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 1:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
^
Old Mar 24, 2012, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Sensational TR as always.

I can confirm that the CCR at JFK is much nicer than the FIRST Lounge, but the WiFi is also painfully slow. The pre-flight dining is better too; it looks like you were eating where the CW passengers eat if they're on Sleeper Services.

I've been mulling over doing a JFK/YVR in the summer; good to see that you get the works in terms of PJs etc. I find the flight times a bit 'anti-social' though; is it easy enough to get taxis at 3am and are there reasonable hotels nearby?

Really enjoy your reports SFO777.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 6:06 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
I've been mulling over doing a JFK/YVR in the summer; good to see that you get the works in terms of PJs etc. I find the flight times a bit 'anti-social' though; is it easy enough to get taxis at 3am and are there reasonable hotels nearby?
There is a Fairmont in the terminal. I would say it is one of the better Fairmonts in the system, and the best airport hotel I have ever stayed in by far.

Last edited by briantoronto; Mar 24, 2012 at 8:29 am Reason: :)
Old Mar 24, 2012, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
II find the flight times a bit 'anti-social' though; is it easy enough to get taxis at 3am and are there reasonable hotels nearby?
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express (literally) with 24 hour airport shuttle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.