Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adventures In New Zealand - UA F, NZ J, NZ Y

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
@uncleflori, unfortunately, it was pouring the day we did the kayaking and hiking in Abel Tasman. It was still beautiful, but definitely not as enjoyable. I'll post about that soon!

@onefasteuro, yeah, it's definitely a long flight, and even worse from the east coast. If you have the miles to go in business, I'd definitely recommend it, esp with the ANZ flat beds!

@TrayflowInUK, thx for the kind words. We were extremely lucky with weather in Milford, but unfortunately, as I'll describe in my later posts, we had nonstop downpours the last couple of days in NZ
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: Scotia Points, Aeroplan, Nexus, Global Entry
Awesome trip report!! The hiking reminds me of Grosse Morne National Park on the west coast of Newfoundland, really amazing thanks.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:47 am
Original Poster

New Zealand December 2011 - Exploring Milford Sound

Milford Sound is one of the most popular tourist destinations in New Zealand, yet ironically, there are very few facilities nearby for overnight guests. There are only two hotels (the Mitre Peak Lodge and the Milford Lodge), one small supermarket, and one restaurant in the entire area.

Plane spotting at the Milford Sound Airport

We completed the Milford Track on Christmas Day, which was a great way to celebrate. Unfortunately, that also meant everything in Milford Sound was shutting down early... leaving us with nothing to eat besides what was left from the hike. We were extremely lucky that the only restaurant in town, the Blue Duck Cafe, was still open when we arrived around 3:00 pm. Naturally, after four days of eating nothing but freeze-dried food and trail mix bars, we gorged ourselves on whatever we could order!

The Milford Lodge is the nicer of the two hotels in town. It has a wide range of rooms available, from shared dormitories to the newer standalone chalets right next to the Cleddau River. We decided to splurge a little and book one night in a chalet, which was a great idea after four long days of backpacking. I can't even begin to describe how amazing that first shower felt! While expensive (around $250/night), it was definitely worth it just for the extra privacy and convenience of an ensuite bathroom and mini-kitchen. The rooms were very modern and comfortable, and the floor-to-ceiling windows afforded some fantastic views of the scenery outside. Note that the lodge is actually a 10-minute walk from Milford Sound though, so you can't actually see the famous landmark.

Chalets next to the Cleddau River

The next morning, we walked back to the ferry terminal and checked in at the Mitre Peak Cruises counter. We had booked our tickets in advance online and everything worked out perfectly. Mitre Peak Cruises operate smaller boats that can navigate closer to the shoreline, providing an up-close view of the wildlife and surroundings. The two-hour tour was a great way to spend the morning, and we got to see the famously stunning scenery of Milford Sound, along with plenty of fur seals and birds. I had heard that often times, pods of dusky dolphins will swim alongside the boat, but unfortunately, we didn't see any that morning.

Ferry terminal

Mitre Peak

Lady Bowen Falls

View of Milford Sound from the Tasman Sea

Stirling Falls

Milford Sound

Afterwards, the Tracknet shuttle bus picked us up directly from the ferry terminal for the long ride back to Queenstown. The return trip ended up taking longer than expected since there were a couple of stops along the way as well as a bus change in Te Anau that we weren't quite expecting. At least the views during the drive were spectacular!

Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:12 am
Original Poster

New Zealand December 2011 - Road Trip Up The West Coast Of The South Island

After arriving back in Queenstown from Milford Sound, we picked up our rental car from Apex and began our three-day road trip up the West Coast of the South Island. Driving is an ideal way to take in the beauty of New Zealand, as it allows for more freedom in deciding the length of time to stay at each location. The only set plans we had for our three days on the road were seeing the Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers, visiting Paparoa National Park, and hiking and kayaking in Abel Tasman National Park.

The first day, we visited several viewpoints along the route to catch a glimpse of the famous Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers. Each of them can actually be reached via guided walks or helicopter rides, but unfortunately, we didn't have time to do either. To be honest though, they were a bit of a sad sight to see, with both glaciers having receded significantly in the past few years. Along the walk to the Franz Josef Glacier viewpoint, several posted signs with old photographs showed just how far the glacier used to extend.

We also took a quick detour to the Peak Viewpoint, which was out in an open field literally in the middle of nowhere. But the 360° views of Fox Glacier, the Southern Alps, and everything in between was definitely worth the extra drive.

Fox Glacier

Franz Josef Glacier

Afterwards, we continued our drive up to the small town of Hokitika. There, we visited the famous Hokitika Gorge, where the ice melt from glaciers creates a surreal turquoise blue river. It was certainly the bluest water I've ever seen - almost as if it was glowing. You can even take a dip in the river by jumping from the rocks along the bank.

Hokitika Gorge

In the evening, we stayed at the Annabelle Motel in Hokitika. While slightly outside of the downtown area, this was a great place for four people, especially with its full kitchen and extra bedroom. Since the food choices weren't great in town, we decided to shop for groceries at the local supermarket and cook dinner ourselves. This was a good way to make use of the kitchen and save some money at the same time.

The next morning, we continued our drive up the coastline, stopping for some incredible scenery of the Tasman Sea. At this point, we could tell the weather had started to change. For the entire first week in New Zealand, we had experienced nothing but beautiful clear skies and warm weather... but it was evident that rain was on its way.

Tasman Sea

We arrived at Paparoa National Park in the late morning, and headed to its most well-known spot, the Punakaiki Pancake Rocks and Blowholes. Carved out over thousands of years, the layered sediments have created an odd landscape of barren rocks literally stacked up like pancakes. The loop trail can be completed in 20 minutes, and it definitely affords some spectacular views.

Next, we visited the Punakaiki Caverns, which is just along the main road, but is easily missed due to the lack of signage and parking. Not surprisingly, there was nobody there when we arrived. There are no established trails or lighting inside the caverns, so you must bring your own flashlight or headlamp if you plan on doing some exploring. While it looks quite small from the outside, I was amazed at how deep the cave really goes once you enter. Several large rooms open up as you squeeze past small corridors. I've always been fascinated with caves, so this was the perfect opportunity to do some easy spelunking.

There were plenty of other trails inside Paparoa National Park, and we had the opportunity to do one or two additional hikes that were quick and easy. Unfortunately, we had less than one full day to see as much as we could, so we ended up skipping a number of other sights.

End of Truman Track

In the late afternoon, we arrived at the small town of Motueka, where we checked into the White Elephant Backpackers. This was actually quite an interesting place. The main building is an old house that was probably very elegant back in its heyday. Once you go the backyard, however, it becomes a veritable trailer park, with dozens of permanent and not-so-permanent structures serving as guest rooms. Like all of our accommodations during the road trip, this was a very simple and basic lodge, with an ensuite bathroom and a shared kitchen area to be used by all guests. It was perfectly fine for our one-night stay, and again, we opted to buy groceries at the local supermarket and cook dinner ourselves. The next morning, we woke up early and headed to Abel Tasman National Park, where the rain greeted us with a vengeance.

Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:16 am
Original Poster

New Zealand December 2011 - Abel Tasman Kayaking And Hiking

We had done some research prior to arriving at Abel Tasman National Park, and we knew that only a few tour companies offered kayaking inside the Tonga Island Marine Reserve. This is the area where you would most likely find fur seals, blue penguins, and other marine animals. Ultimately, we decided to go with the Sea Kayak Company because one of their tours fit exactly what we were looking for: half day of guided kayaking and half day of independent hiking. Although their price was a little steep at 190 NZD per person (especially since half the tour consisted of hiking on our own).

Marahau Beach at low tide

Unfortunately, the weather gods were not on our side that day, as a cloudy morning soon gave way to pouring rain by noon. The boat launch area at Marahau was beautiful nonetheless, as low tide at the beach made for some stunning and surreal scenery. The water in the bay recedes hundreds of meters out to sea during this time, and many boats remain on their side to dry until the ocean slowly creeps back in hours later. Also due to the low tide, all boats must be launched by tractors, which back up into the water until they are literally halfway submerged before finally releasing the hitch. Needless to say, this is my first time experiencing a boat launch by tractor!

After finally reaching the water, our boat quickly made its way north to Onetahuti Beach, where we disembarked and prepared for the kayak tour. By this time, the rain was starting to come down hard. Luckily the Sea Kayak Company provided us with nice dry jackets and dry bags to hold our valuables. After a quick lesson in steering and paddling, as well as safety instructions, we were on our way towards Tonga Island.

Kayaks and Tonga Island

Taking pictures while kayaking is difficult enough to begin with. Add to that pouring rain and choppy seas, and it damn near made it impossible. I was only able to get a total of five pictures while we were in the kayak, and I think three of them came out blurry. The situation really bummed me out since the scenery would have been absolutely stunning in sunny weather, but it mattered very little at that point. Still, it was quite an exhilarating experience to be kayaking in these adverse conditions. There was almost a sense of reckless abandonment while we braved the open sea in the rain!

After a couple hours of kayaking and plenty of sore arms, we arrived at Bark Bay, where a simple lunch of sandwiches, chips, muffins, and coffee was waiting. Our guides explained the hiking trail to us and made sure we knew where to stop to catch the ferry back. Soon, we were on our way, and as luck would have it, the rain started coming down even harder. The two and a half hour hike became a miserable slog as our rain jackets were absolutely useless against the heavy precipitation. The entire time, however, I kept reminding myself of how lucky we were to have had four completely dry days on the Milford Track. It very well could have been just as wet!

Bark Bay

There were some beautiful views along the way though, and I made sure to take at least a few pictures while trying to keep my camera as dry as possible. After what seemed like an eternity, we arrived at Torrent Bay, where we still had a good half hour to kill before our ferry departure. At the very least, there was a simple shelter to hide under and dry off. The ferry dropped us back at Marahau, and we continued on to Motueka via shuttle bus.

First sight of Torrent Bay

Unfortunately, I think my opinion of Abel Tasman is vastly skewed due to the bad weather conditions we experienced. I think under any other circumstance, the experience would have been amazing. We were still able to see plenty of fur seals up close, but not much else... most likely due to the rain. And while the scenery was still beautiful, I can only imagine what it would all look like under clear and sunny skies. So despite not having the perfect time there, I would still highly recommend visiting Abel Tasman. Just pray that the weather gods are in a better mood when you go!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:21 am
Original Poster

New Zealand December 2011 - InterIslander Ferry And Wellington

After a quick one-night stay in Picton, we arrived the next morning at the InterIslander ferry terminal for our three-hour boat ride across the Cook Strait. Much like an airport terminal, there was a check-in counter, baggage drop-off, and gate area (otherwise known as a gangway for ships).

It was also very convenient that several of the larger car rental companies had offices inside the terminal, so all we had to do was leave our rental car in the parking lot and drop the keys off at the Apex counter. We also could have paid a little extra and just ferried our rental car across the strait, but we figured we really didn't need a car for our one-night stay in Wellington anyway.

Upstairs near the gangway, there were a couple of fast food outlets and a large waiting area with plenty of tables. My only complaint is that there was nowhere to take pictures of the actual ship. Only as you start walking up the gangway while boarding can you catch some partial views.

The Aratere

Once inside, I was surprised at how big the ship was. I have never been on a cruise liner before, but I'd imagine it would look something like this. Each section featured different types of seating arrangements, from comfortable couches large enough to sprawl out on, to dining booths for eating. Towards the center of the ship was a small cafeteria that offered a decent cook-to-order menu as well as pre-made options such as salads and sandwiches. The forward section featured a bar area with plenty of television sets and lounge chairs.

I forgot to mention that it hadn't stopped raining for even a minute since we left Abel Tasman. In fact, the rain only got worse as time went on. The nasty weather also meant we would experience some rougher seas during the crossing, and that was definitely the case. I had thought for such a large ship, we'd hardly feel the waves at all... but boy was I wrong. I'm typically quite prone to motion sickness, so as soon as we hit the open seas, everything starting rocking and the nausea immediately hit.

I went to the outside deck to grab some fresh air, but it was so windy that the rain was literally coming in sideways. Luckily, the cafeteria had some awesome ginger beer (imagine ginger ale, but stronger), and that definitely helped with the nausea. It was actually very tasty as well... I'll have to look for some next time I head to the supermarket!

Nasty weather outside

Awesome ginger beer inside

Three hours went by fairly quickly with onboard WiFi and comfortable couches, and soon we were docking in Wellington. We picked up our checked luggage and hopped on a taxi for the 10-minute ride to the InterContinental Wellington.

Approaching Wellington

Unfortuantely, the weather just kept getting progressively worse as the afternoon wore on. We had booked tickets to Zealandia that evening to see their famous kiwi habitat, but those plans had to be scrapped, of course, since it was windy and pouring outside. Instead, the only thing we did do in Wellington was walk (more like run as fast as we could) to Queen's Wharf and have dinner at Dockside Restaurant, which was absolutely delicious. I think their seafood chowder was probably the best I've ever tasted.

Pretty much all I got to see of Wellington

Green-lipped mussels

Seafood chowder

Lamb rump roast

It was a real bummer not being able to explore Wellington due to weather. I had heard many people say it reminded them of San Francisco, so I was excited to see for myself. Maybe when I return in a few years!
Old Feb 25, 2012, 2:13 am
Original Poster

New Zealand December 2011 - InterContinental Wellington

We checked in at the InterContinental Wellington after taking a quick five-minute taxi ride from the ferry terminal. I had booked two rooms using Priority Club's cash and points redemption (20,000 points + $60 per room). Although we were only staying for one night, we decided to make the most of our time at the hotel since our anticipated tour of Wellington was scuttled by the foul weather outside.

The lobby, while not grand by any means, was beautifully adorned with Christmas decorations, including a nice gingerbread house. There was also a bar/lounge area near the entrance with plenty of comfortable chairs to relax in.

As a Platinum Ambassador member, we were upgraded to two "premium" rooms on the 7th floor of the hotel upon check-in. I suppose the higher floor and better view constituted a one level upgrade, which was fine by me. A welcome gift of some cookies and a chocolate-dipped strawberry along with a bottle of still water was promptly delivered soon after. While nothing extraordinary, these simple gestures made the overall experience more pleasant. Unfortunately, WiFi and local calls weren't complimentary, as we later found out since we needed to make a couple calls to cancel a tour booking.

Not-so-spectacular view from the room

The room itself was simple and tastefully decorated with all the amenities a guest would need. This was definitely a welcome change from all the backpackers lodges we had been staying in for the past week! And the soft and comfortable bed felt absolutely amazing for my still-aching body. In fact, I promptly passed out and ended up napping for about an hour or so.

Later in the afternoon, I decided to go for a quick workout while my friends went for a swim at the indoor pool. I was surprised that the gym actually had a decent amount of treadmills, machines, and free weights. The pool was a little on the small side, but perfectly fine for a hotel this size. There was also a dry sauna for guest use.

After a quick shower and change, we headed down to the concierge desk to ask for dining suggestions close by. I must say, the concierge at the InterContinental Wellington was definitely top notch. The gentleman helping us whipped out an iPad and promptly brought up two or three different restaurant suggestions around the area along with their dinner menus. We considered just eating at the hotel since it was still pouring outside, but ultimately decided on one of his other suggestions, Dockside Restaurant, on the edge of Queen's Wharf. Take a look at my previous post for some food porn. Before leaving the hotel, the concierge provided us with large umbrellas to help stay dry, though with the rain literally coming down sideways, it became an exercise in futility.

After a great night's sleep, we packed up in the morning and headed downstairs for checkout. As we were leaving, the concierge noticed that I was holding a number of post cards and asked if he could mail them for me, which I gladly accepted. This was a very pleasant stay at the InterContinental Wellington and I certainly wouldn't hesitate to come back again in the future.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:46 am
Original Poster

New Zealand December 2011 - Air New Zealand 418 Economy Class (WLG-AKL)

At checkout, I was asked if we needed a taxi to the Wellington airport, to which I responded yes. When we got to the entrance though, I noticed it was actually a nice-looking hotel car that had pulled up. I thought for a second about asking if there was a price difference, but decided just to go with it. The driver was an older gentleman, quite chatty and very friendly. He took a longer route to the airport along the harbor, but we didn't really mind since it was a nice scenic drive, and we hadn't experienced much of Wellington at all. Seeing the beautiful waterfront really made me wish we had a few extra days to explore the city.

The taxi ride ended up being a pricey 56 NZD, but split among four people, it wasn't too bad. Check-in was very similar to the domestic terminal in Auckland, being that it was entirely self-service. Baggage tags were printed out at the kiosks and self-applied. You then carry your checked luggage over to the bag drop area and place them on the conveyor belt. Security was located at each individual gate (at least for domestic departures), and even then, it was a quick and painless two-minute affair. As always, no need to remove shoes or belts!

For a smaller airport, I was quite impressed with the passenger facilities. There were plenty of dining options as well as shopping opportunities before reaching the gate area. In addition, there were tons of tables and seats available, some with great views of the tarmac for plane spotting.

Air New Zealand 418
Boeing 737-300
Wellington (WLG) - Auckland (AKL)
Saturday December 31, 2011
Departure: 10:00 AM (scheduled) / 10:09 AM (actual)
Arrival: 11:00 AM (scheduled) / 11:10 AM (actual)
Duration: 1h 0m (scheduled) / 1h 1m (actual)
Seat: 17B (Economy)

Our aircraft arrived on time and boarding started soon after. Unfortunately, unlike the brand new A320 we had for our AKL-ZQN leg, we were greeted with a rather drab-looking 737-300. The weather outside was still terrible (3rd day in a row), so the takeoff was a little bumpier than usual, but once we cleared the clouds, it was smooth sailing all the way to Auckland.

Service was impeccable as usual... I hadn't experienced anything less than that on any Air New Zealand flight thus far. Soon after takeoff, the flight attendants came around with snacks, with the choices being chocolate biscuits, barbecue chips, or black liquorice candy. Since there were four of us, we got to try some of each. Not bad for a one-hour gate-to-gate flight!

It felt like as soon as we hit our cruising altitude, we were already preparing for descent. Landing was uneventful despite the rain. After disembarking, I noticed a pretty sweet-looking Air New Zealand A320 with the All Blacks livery at one of the other gates... definitely one of coolest paint schemes I've seen yet. They should really consider adopting it as their permanent design!

Since the domestic and international terminals are quite far from each other, there is a transfer shuttle that drops off passengers between the two every 15 minutes. Though even with that frequency, our shuttle was completely packed to the brim, with still more people trying to squeeze in. After an uncomfortable couple of minutes jammed between luggage and strangers, we finally arrived at the international terminal.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
What a treat to “hike” the Milford Track again via your report and pictures. You really did catch a lucky break with the weather. When I hiked the Milford, the first day was spectacular but conditions gradually deteriorated. We battled driving rain and 50mph winds up and over McKinnon Pass where DOC rangers waited up top to encourage everyone not to tarry at the hut but rather to keep going due to rising water levels on the Ada River below. I waded through waist deep water down there and some of our group didn’t make it, as in the water rose too high and they had to stay at the fancy THC hut. It sure was pretty though. For sheer beauty and lack of crowds, I hope you get a chance to try the Dart/Reese track someday. Spectacular! Again, thanks for this fine report!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Seat2A! Apparently they were in the middle of a weeks-long drought when we were there, and some of the rangers were telling us they hadn't seen such dry weather in years. But while I'm glad we didn't have to brave the downpours and flooding, many have also said that the Milford Track looks entirely different in the rain. Maybe I'll have to go back sometime in the future!

Just looked up some trip reports on the Dart/Reese Track, and it appears to be quite a bit tougher than Milford! I may have to do a lot more hiking to prepare for that one

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
What a treat to “hike” the Milford Track again via your report and pictures. You really did catch a lucky break with the weather. When I hiked the Milford, the first day was spectacular but conditions gradually deteriorated. We battled driving rain and 50mph winds up and over McKinnon Pass where DOC rangers waited up top to encourage everyone not to tarry at the hut but rather to keep going due to rising water levels on the Ada River below. I waded through waist deep water down there and some of our group didn’t make it, as in the water rose too high and they had to stay at the fancy THC hut. It sure was pretty though. For sheer beauty and lack of crowds, I hope you get a chance to try the Dart/Reese track someday. Spectacular! Again, thanks for this fine report!
Old Mar 2, 2012, 4:59 pm

Simply an outstanding TR. It's important to balance the J-class airplane porn with photos of real travel and real activities. I don't know when I'll be able to go, but now I'd dead-set on getting to the Milford Track in the next few years.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dickerso
Simply an outstanding TR. It's important to balance the J-class airplane porn with photos of real travel and real activities. I don't know when I'll be able to go, but now I'd dead-set on getting to the Milford Track in the next few years.
Thanks for the comment dickerso. My trips are always kind of an eclectic mix of comfort and adventure. Best of both worlds I suppose You should definitely do the Milford Track if you ever get the chance. Just book early!
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:26 am
Original Poster

New Zealand December 2011 - Air New Zealand AKL Koru Club Lounge

My three other travel buddies were all booked on Air Pacific back to LAX via NAN. Since their flight was scheduled to depart a couple of hours prior to mine, we headed over to the Air Pacific counters to get them checked-in first. Holy cow, we were met with a line that looked more appropriate for Disneyland than an airport! I reminded myself to avoid Air Pacific at all costs in the future. Obviously, this was going to take a while for them, so I decided to go get checked-in for my Air New Zealand flight in the meantime.

Air Pacific economy class check-in cluster#@*!

Talk about night and day! Air New Zealand's premium check-in counter was in a completely separate area. There was not a single person waiting in line, which meant I was able to get my bags checked-in and my boarding pass printed out in less than five minutes. Afterwards, I walked back to the Air Pacific counters and saw my friends not even half-way through the line yet.

Air New Zealand premium check-in counters

When they finally finished checking-in for their flight, we headed over to security and passport checks, which were quick and easy, as expected. The airside facilities at the international terminal are quite fantastic, with tons of restaurant and fast-food options, duty free shops, and souvenir stores. I still had a lot of gifts to buy for family and friends, so I ended up perusing several stores to get all my last-minute purchases in.

Cool ceiling display airside

After I bid farewell to my friends as their flight started boarding, I followed the signs and headed upstairs to the Air New Zealand Koru Club Lounge. My first impression was amazement at how huge the place was. There were several different wings to the lounge, each catering to a different style of relaxation. There was the usual common area with comfortable couches, a TV room with a large screen and rows of chairs, a large communal work area with plenty of power ports for laptops and wireless devices, a dining area with lots of tables, a cell phone-free area for napping and reading, and plenty of seating scattered in between for good measure. There were also a couple of computer terminals for guest use in one corner of the common area.

Since most of the Air New Zealand long-haul international flights depart in the evening, the place was quite empty when I first arrived. Having about six hours to kill afforded me with plenty of time to explore just about every corner of the lounge. I also had a taste of all the dishes that were on display in the dining area. Since I hadn't eaten lunch yet, I tried their hot entrees first, including a delicious lamb moussaka with baked tumeric rice. The pumpkin soup was very good as well. They also had a wide selection of salads, fruits, cheeses, and desserts. I think I probably had at least seven or eight kiwis since they were so incredibly sweet.

Unfortunately, the lounge didn't have a good selection of liquor or spirits. The few that they had seemed to be bottom to mid-shelf varieties. However, they did have a wide range of beers and wines to choose from. Luckily I'm not a big drinker, so I stuck with ginger ale and water.

I was feeling a little tired from day's travels, so I parked myself on a long couch inside the cell phone-free area and proceeded to doze off for the next two hours. I was amazed that I slept for so long on a couch in a lounge, but the body does what it wants to do when it's tired! By the time I woke up, I still had a good hour to kill before boarding began, so I decided to grab a quick shower. The facilities were unattended, but it was easy to find an open room and everything you need inside. The layout of the shower room was completely identical to the LAX Koru Club Lounge, except a bit larger in footprint. Plenty of pre-wrapped clean towels were provided, while soap and shampoo were in dispensers.

Feeling completely refreshed, I picked up a few more snacks, then headed down to the gate a little early for departure. Good thing I did since the lines for the US-mandated secondary security screening were ridiculously long. The search ended up being fairly lax though, and I was soon waiting at Gate 8 for my direct flight to SFO.

Last edited by glu800; Mar 5, 2012 at 12:41 am
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

New Zealand December 2011 - Air New Zealand 8 Business Premier (AKL-SFO)

The gate area was already packed when I arrived. Scanning the crowd, I was relieved to be traveling in Business Premier since a majority of the passengers appeared to be vacationing families, many with infants and toddlers in tow (no offense to vacationing families with infants and toddlers!). There looked to be a large high school sports team traveling back to the States on this flight as well.

Boarding was absolute chaos, which really surprised me since it was quite orderly when I flew Air New Zealand out of LAX two weeks earlier. Perhaps due to the sheer number of families with small children, the lines quickly became a giant mosh pit of people all jostling towards the gate door. To make matters worse, announcements were haphazardly conducted, with Business Premier customers called up even before families with small children were halfway done boarding. Add to that a healthy mix of gate lice milling about, and you truly have a nightmare boarding scenario.

Air New Zealand 8
Boeing 747-400
Auckland (AKL) - San Francisco (SFO)
Saturday December 31, 2011
Departure: 7:30 PM (scheduled) / 8:04 PM (actual)
Arrival: 10:30 AM (scheduled) / 10:47 AM (actual)
Duration: 12h 00m (scheduled) / 11h 43m (actual)
Seat: 5K (Business Premier)

After finally boarding, I made a left through the aft Business Premier cabin and into the nose of our 747-400. On my previous flight to New Zealand, I sat in 5A on the port side. This time, I chose 5K, directly across the aisle. The Business Premier seats were identical to my last flight, albeit with slightly more wear and tear. I will skip the detailed photos and discussion regarding seat functions and comfort since it was covered in a previous post. Take a look at it if you are interested in knowing how the herringbone flat-beds stacked up.

Curiously, 4K next to me remained empty, and I even heard the flight attendant remark "how did that happen?" It was definitely unusual since Air New Zealand flights are almost always at 100% capacity, especially in Business Premier, and especially during the holiday season. But lucky for me, it meant I didn't have to stare at my neighbor's head during the flight.

Menus and amenity kits were already placed on the ottoman, and welcome drink orders were taken immediately. I decided to have some champagne to start. Although the flight attendant was courteous and prompt, I could immediately tell that she wasn't going to be as friendly or proactive as the amazing flight attendant from my previous experience in Business Premier. Mind you, I had no issues with her at all. She did her job perfectly well. But sometimes it's that extra "je ne sais quoi" - helpful advice you didn't even know you needed, a proactive glass of wine, a warm smile - that really separates good service from the truly extraordinary.

On my previous Business Premier flight, I had some contrast/brightness issues with the video screen. Any movie scene that had darker lighting resulted in a completely washed-out screen where nothing could be discerned. Unfortunately, I noticed the problem again on this flight, and nothing I did seemed to make it better. A reader suggested in my previous post that it could have been resolved by simply pressing the 'B' button on the controller to adjust the brightness, but I'm not sure if that is really the case or not. I'll have to try next time I fly Air New Zealand!

Takeoff was a little bumpy due to the weather, but as soon as we cleared the heavy layer of clouds, it was smooth sailing. Dinner service started shortly afterwards, beginning with a small canapé and nuts along with a refill of champagne. The menu was as follows:
Dinner

To Begin
- Manuka smoked Marlborough salmon with tomato jelly and tomato remoulade with candied lemon

From the Bakery
- Sourdough bread, dark rye with caraway seed bread and garlic bread

Main Course
- Dukkah crusted loin of lamb with sesame and green onion potato, eggplant, green beans and lime, red onion and coriander salad
- Snapper and brandade crushed potatoes, slow roasted peppers with lemon butter
- Cranberry and cherry stuffed chicken thigh with orange glaze, cherry compote, butternut and green courgettes
- Light choice of baked polenta, bell peppers, feta cheese and salsa verde (vegetarian)

To Finish
- Gourmet dessert of spiced apple crumble ice cream and blackcurrant and blackberry ice cream
- Citron tart with passionfruit mascarpone cream

Cheese
- A selection of fine New Zealand cheese

Hot Drinks
- Freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate

Self-Service Snacks
- Help yourself from our range of snacks available for you to enjoy during your flight
The standard drinks menu was identical to my last flight, and can be found in my previous post. For the main course, I decided to go with the crusted loin of lamb. Beef and lamb can be iffy on flights, as they tend to be overcooked and dry, but the loin I had was cooked very nicely... quite tender and soft. For dessert, I selected the citron tart, which was delicious as well. I partook in wine pairings for each of the courses, including the Marisco Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc with the salmon, the Bird Wines Pinot Noir with the lamb, and the Glenmark Riesling with dessert. This was a lot more than I'm used to drinking, and I quickly had a nice buzz that lasted all the way to bedtime. After the cheese course, I was absolutely stuffed, so I got up and hung around the galley for a bit before changing into something more comfortable for sleeping.

The flat bed was just as comfortable as last time, and I quickly fell asleep soon afterwards. Unfortunately, I was awoken about two hours later by heavy turbulence that seemed to last forever. Typically, I can deal with some mild shaking, but when it starts to feel like a roller coaster, I always get extremely nervous and worried. As the bouncing around continued, I decided to just sit up in my seat and wait it out. The turbulence lasted almost an hour, but it finally subsided and I was able to get some more shut-eye. I definitely didn't wake up feeling refreshed the next morning though.

About two hours prior to landing, the lights came back on and breakfast service began. I was first offered a fresh mango smoothie as a starter while orders for the main course were taken. I also asked for some hot tea with milk. The breakfast menu was as follows:
Breakfast

Fast Dine Breakfast
- Please let your flight attendant know if you would like to sleep-in and we will wake you as late as possible and offer you a hot bacon roll and a beverage of your choice

Wake-up Drinks
- Start your day with a fruit smoothie, your choice of juice, freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate

Light Breakfast
- A bowl of muesli topped with Greek style yoghurt and fresh fruit is available as a lighter option

Full Breakfast
- Fruit and cereals will be offered followed by a hot bakery selection and your choice of a hot breakfast
- Fresh fruit salad
- Strawberry yoghurt or plain Greek style yoghurt
- Toasted Muesli and Cluster Crisp Triple Berry cereal, Weet-Bix, Cornflakes

From the Bakery
- Croissants, muffins, Vogel's, brioche or fruit toast offered with fruit conserve

From the Stove
- Cheddar and chive scrambled egg with chicken sausage, mushroom ragout, cherry tomato and potato cake
- Buttermilk hot cakes with apple and ginger compote and raspberry creme fraiche
- Hot bacon roll - a warmed roll, buttered and filled with grilled bacon, offered with caramelised onion jam and barbecue sauce

I selected the full breakfast with scrambled eggs, and everything came out perfectly. I was still in a fairly groggy state from a lack of sleep, however, so most of the last hour or so before landing was a blur. I did manage to change into my normal clothes again and move the seat back up as we began our descent into San Francisco. It was a beautiful day outside, and I was able to snap a few photos before the landing. After reaching the gate, the flight attendants allowed all Business Premier passengers to disembark first. There was no wait at immigration, and thanks to the priority tag, my backpack was one of the first out of the baggage carousel.

Unfortunately, because I had declared some food items that was brought back from New Zealand, I was directed over to the U.S. Customs baggage check line. Once I got to the front, however, a friendly female agent looked at my declaration form and asked me what I had in my large backpack. I told her I had some packaged Manuka honey and some shortbread cookies, to which to responded: "That's all?? Get outta here!" I chuckled as she waived me through without even x-raying my bags. It was great to be home
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:19 am
Original Poster

When I completed my New Zealand trip report last week, I realized that I had two sets of Business Premier amenity kits. One of them I have already opened to review for the report, and the other is brand new (never opened) in its original packaging. If I kept the new one, it would just sit in the closet collecting dust, so I thought what better way to put it to good use than giving it away on my blog

Although it comes in a small box and not a reusable pouch, the contents inside are actually quite useful. There are three small tubes of La Prairie skin care products, including a cellular eye contour cream, intensive cellular time release moisturizer, and moisturizing lip balm. There is also a colorful pair of socks - although the material is quite thin since it's meant to be worn on the flight only. I really like the comfortable eye shades with the funny line "Beware I sleep walk" printed on the front. Finally, there are the typical amenity kit contents like ear plugs, toothbrush and toothpaste, and an Air New Zealand pen.

All you have to do to enter the random drawing are the following:
* Be living in the contiguous United States.

* Leave a comment in my blog entry (link below) with your first name and last initial and one place you'd like to visit this year. Do not leave your email address in the comments!

* Send an email to me at [email protected] that includes the same name you left in the comments, place you'd like to visit this year, and most importantly, your email address.
On Monday March 26, 2012, I will use an online random number generator to pick the winner from the comments. If I can't match the winning comment to an email, I will pick another winner using the same method. I apologize for the roundabout way of doing things, but Blogger doesn't allow a private email field when leaving comments for some reason.

Once the winner is chosen, I will contact him/her directly and request an address. I will cover the shipping cost.

Head over to the blog post to enter!
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.