Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:18 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

US in Envoy (new Pods) + LO & TK European Experience

Hello,

I'm attempting my second trip report. Please be patient

Background

At the end of December I've asked my buddy if he wants to go to Poland for a week. We are both originally from Poland and still have family there. After searching we found several flights from DC to Warsaw for about $800ai (upgradable fares). The problem was that almost all of these flights were operated by CO B757 via AMS or CDG.
I really didn't want to fly on 757 across the pond and he didn't want to waste SWU vouchers for 757.
Next day he found cheap fares from DC to IST on US/TK for under $600. Without hesitation I've booked both tickets since I'am US CP, which will give us upgrade options. Few minutes after I've booked our tickets online, I've called US Airways Chairmans desk to inquire about upgrade for both of us on the PHL-FRA-PHL legs.
The agent was able to instantly upgrade us to Envoy on the PHL-FRA leg, but said that FRA-PHL had only one upgradable seat. Well, one is better than none.
The other thing we needed was to find flights from IST to WAW.
We found several options on LO, TK, LH and LX for under $300ai. First we've booked IST-FRA-WAW, but next day we realized that we would fly DCA-PHL-FRA-IST, have 2 hours at IST and then we would fly back to FRA to catch our flight to WAW. We scratched that idea and decided to opt for IST-WAW direct flight on LOT which would give us 5 hours in the TK lounge at IST airport. On the way back we had two options. First flying WAW-FRA-IST on LH or take direct LO or TK flights leaving 10 minutes apart. We've selected second option.
Also, I am from Rzeszow so I had to find domestic flight to reach my final destination. I was lucky because LOT and OLT Express had domestic fare war on WAW-RZE flights. I was able to purchase round trip flights on LOT for $7 each way + taxes, which brought the total to $30. Two days after I've purchased my tickets, OLT Express suspended flights to RZE from WAW and the tickets on LOT went back up to regular price of $150 per round trip.
Fast-forward 30 days and I'm packing for my flight.

Flights

DCA-PHL
February 4
US Airways Express operated by Chautauqua
Embraer ERJ-145 N284SK
Economy class Seat 12D

Since my friend lives by Dulles airport and I live by DCA I've offered to pick him up and take taxi from my home to DCA. It would save a lot of money at the ridiculously overpriced parking lots at DCA.
Our flights were on Saturday so there was no traffic in DC area. I left my place around 8am and arrived at his house 45 minutes later. Quick ride back to my place where I called for taxi. We still had plenty of time so we've decided to have glass of wine for a good start.
We've arrived at DCA shortly after 10am and went directly to the US Airways check in counter. We wanted to use the kiosks but since the area was deserted two First Class agents called us in. They took our passports and tagged our bags all the way to IST. Both ladies were very friendly and chatty. It was a pleasure to be checked in by them. Since I was in the vacations mood I gave them Above and Beyond certificates. They were so happy.
We took our bags to TSA drop off location and went outside for one last smoke. After that we went thru security and headed up to the US Airways lounge. I've been flying US Airways out of DCA since 1997 but I never been to the lounge (always arriving few minutes before my flights). The lady took our BPs and said that computer is acting up and it would take few minutes put the info into computer. She said that she will call us when she's done.
We went to the almost empty lounge. There was some finger food and soft drinks. Unfortunately the bar was opening at 11:30am, and our boarding was at 11:30am. We had coffee and Milano cookies. And few minutes before the boarding we left the lounge without increasing alcohol level in our bodies.
Boarding was done from gate 35A (bus gate), where we were taken to our white and blue Embraer 145.
This flight was almost full. We left on time but we were placed in the penalty box by runway 01 for about 20 minutes due to ATC congestion.
Short 20 minutes hop and we were landing at PHL. Arrived at the ghetto F terminal. I have to say that this terminal is looking better and better. Less construction and more space for passengers. We had to go to terminal A-West but decided to take shuttle bus to terminal B and head out to smoke.

PHL-FRA
February 4
US Airways
Envoy, Seat 4H
Airbus A330-300 with new Envoy pods
N277AY

After couple of smokes we went thru empty security lines and headed out to ex-Envoy lounge in terminal A. On the way there I've noticed that I have middle seat on my FRA-IST flight. During check in experience at the lounge I've asked if she could give me window or isle seat. She started hitting the keyboard but said that she's having some problems with the computer. She gave us two coupons each for "brand" liquor and said that she will call me when she's done changing my seat. The lounge was 3/4 full. We found empty seats right next to the bar. We started our drink selection with JW Black label & coke. After two rounds we went in search for food. They had finger food like raw veggies & olives + two kinds of soups. I had the tomato/red pepper/veggies soup which was pretty good. We also had glass of "house" wine which is free in unlimited quantities. Twenty minutes before boarding time we've decided to take a hike to our gate. I stopped by the counter and inquired about my BP. The agent said that she wasn't able to change my seat for the FRA-IST flight.
The night before our seat map for this flight has changed. From the old configured Envoy A330 to the new one. Also our seats have changed. Originally we had first row on the right side and after the change we've got seats 4H and 5H.
We really didn't care about this change. We were happy that we will be flying in the new pods.
When we got to our gate we saw our A330 N277AY. Newly reconfigured A330. Shortly after the boarding proceeded. First they were calling military traveling in uniform, then mothers with kids and then Envoy passengers.

My seat (recently installed new pod)
http://flic.kr/p/buy8RK
http://flic.kr/p/buy8WR

When we entered the cabin there were already passengers getting comfy. I took some shots of the seats and also settled down. My pod had two amenity kits (score!)
Flight Attendant serving our side came over, distributed menus and asked what we would like to drink. What I found strange was that she never introduced herself. I guess people were complaining about her service and she stopped introducing herself. We both ordered champagne. Minute later she brought over drinks on the tray, and asked if we had a chance to look over the menu. We've both selected tenderloin of beef as a main course.

Pre flight drink
http://flic.kr/p/buy936

This is entire menu:

Menu

To Start

Warm mixed nuts with your preferred cocktail or beverage.

Appetizer

Sesame and soy marinated beef with Asian vegetable slaw and hoisin dressing.

Salad

Fresh seasonal greens garnished with asparagus, red pepper, feta cheese and almonds.

Choice of blue chess dressing or balsam vinaigrette.

A selection of warm breads.

Main Course

Our Signature Selection
Tenderloin of beef with béarnaise sauce, roasted fingerling potatoes and grilled asparagus.

Pecan Crusted Breast of Chicken
Served with brown butter sage sauce, sweet potato mash and broccoli florets with roasted red peppers.

Garlic Shrimp
Accompanied by sun-dried tomato herb orzo and Parmesan crusted spinach.

Artichoke and Tomato Lasagna
Offered with marinara sauce, baby carrot, asparagus and roasted red pepper.

Express Meal
Available as a single course, served with a mixed green salad and a fruit and cheese plate, to give you more time to work, relax or sleep.

Dessert

Dulce de Leche Flan

Ice Cream
Ben & Jerry's Cookies and Cream

Cheese Plate
A selection of fine cheeses

Mid-Flight Snack
Refreshments are available in our galley throughout the flight.

Breakfast

Spinach and Turkey Bacon Quiche
Served with mushrooms and grilled peppers accompanied by a seasonal fruit salad.

Fresh Fruit Bowl
Seasonal fresh fruits served with granola and yogurt.

Warm breakfast breads.

Wines

About Our Selections
Our wine list in Envoy features a selection of award-winning premium American and international wines so you can choose one that will pair perfectly with your meal.

Sparkling Wine

Bottega "Il Vino dei Poeti" NV Prosecco DOC (Italy)
Celebrate life with this "wine of poets" - a bubbly Prosecco that balances bright fruit, spring flowers and a lively acidity.

Whites

Dry Creek Vineyard Wilson Ranch
Dry Chenin Blanc (California)

McWilliam's Hanwood Estate
Chardonnay (Australia)

Reds

Sierra Salinas Mo Monastrell (Spain)

Chateau Julien Cabernet Sauvignon Monterey (California)

Spirits

Bacardi Silver Rum
Finlandia Vodka
Tanqueray Special Dry Gin

Whiskeys

Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey
Canadian Club Whisky
Glenlivet Scotch

Brandy and Liqueur

Courvoisier VSOP Cognac
Baileys Irish Cream

Stirrings Cocktails

Mojito
Cosmopolitan

Beer

Budweiser
Bud Light
Beck's

Soft Drinsk and Other Beverages

We're pleased to offer you tea, regular and decaffeinated coffee.

Espresso and cappuccino are also available on A330 aircraft.

After the boarding was completed and the door closed, we were pushed back right on time. Long taxi from terminal A to runway 27L. But we were number 3 for take off.
Soon after take off we were served mix of warm nuts and pre-ordered drink. I had Spanish red wine which was pretty good.

Nuts and wine
http://flic.kr/p/buy9b8

I don't rely on inflight entertainment provided by airlines. I always have ipad with my movie selection.
Movie selection on this flight was very poor. I set my PTV to show moving map entire way. After watching one episode of The Big Bang Theory food service started. First was warm towel service and FA put table cloth on each tray.
Presentation of the beef appetizer on the plate was very nice, and it tasted darn good too!

Appetizer
http://flic.kr/p/buy9eF

After finishing with my starter, the tray was collected and main course arrived. Picture can't do its justice, but my tenderloin dipped in this sauce tasted pretty good. I'm yet to be disappointed by the food in Envoy class. I've done 10-15 TATL flights in Envoy in the last few years, and the food was always excellent.

Main Course
http://flic.kr/p/buy9kg

Dessert
http://flic.kr/p/buy9qP

After the main course, FA rolled dessert cart. I've opted for the flan with cognac. It hit the spot. When the meal service finished one round of drinks was offered. I've got Finlandia with Cranapple, so did my friend. After this service, I haven't seen Flight Attendant in the isle until 45 minutes before the landing when the breakfast service started. No water runs or walk thru once in a while to check on the passengers. During that quiet time, my buddy went to the galley to get us one more drink.

Finlandia with Cranapple
http://flic.kr/p/buy9zH

Cabin Overview
http://flic.kr/p/buy976
http://flic.kr/p/buy9F6

His AVOD had parental control and only one movie was available I think it was Rio cartoon.
FA had to reset the AVOD and after that it worked fine.

Parental Control
http://flic.kr/p/buy9vV

PTV moving map
http://flic.kr/p/buy9NV

Upon arrival we've received invitations to the LuxxLounge in FRA with the directions on the back side. Here they are:
(Exit Customs, take elevator/escalator to Terminal 1 Hall C Check-In/Departure Level. Then take escalator, opposite Check-In counter number 701, up to the Gallery Level. Lounge is located on the left hand side.)
Of course we didn't go there since we weren't clearing customs, or even going thru passport control.
The attitude of the flight attendants was rather hostile. I was afraid to ring the bell to ask for beverage. Every time they served something on my tray I felt like I was bothering them or like they are about to explode in anger. This is the vibe I was receiving.
Now they have great product, excellent food, but FA's are hit or miss. US Airways please do something about it! I don't care that the FA's serving Envoy are older then Shirley Temple, but if this is punishment for them to work for US Airways, why don't they change the job?

Thanks for reading. Rest of the trip coming soon.

Last edited by bwiadca; Feb 16, 2012 at 9:38 am
Old Feb 21, 2012, 8:51 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

FRA-IST
February 5
Turkish Airlines
TK 1598
Airbus A320-200, Economy Seat 17B (middle)

After arrival in Frankfurt we had to go thru security and be re-screened in order to get to our TK flight. The line was pretty big, but was moving fast. Few minutes later we were on the other side of the X-ray machine. We had exactly 15 minutes before the boarding supposed to start at 7:45am. We saw signs for LH Business Class lounge and LH Senator lounge. We went to the first one since it was located few steps away. The lounge attendant looking at our boarding passes suggested that we should go to the Star Gold lounge, which supposedly is nicer. So thats what we did. At that point we had 10 minutes in the lounge. I was still full from my previous flight so I only opted for OJ. My buddy decided to get some olives and cold cuts.
Few minutes later we were at the nearby Turkish Airlines gate where large crowd was ready to board. It was my first flight with TK, I didn't know what to expect. When you fly in USA domestically you don't expect anything on a sub 3 hours flight. First they called for people with disabilities and mothers with young children (under 2yo), then called for first class and TK top tier frequent flyers. After that Star Gold and Star Silver. Thats when we boarded the aircraft. First look at the Turkish A320 interior. That bright turquoise seats remanded me of public transportation buses in Poland in the late 70s, early 80s.
I'm not saying that in a bad way. It was just deja vu from my childhood. I had dreaded middle seat, I was hoping that at least one person will not show up and I can move to the window or the isle.
Unfortunately this flight fast 100% full. Entire A320 packed to the gills. At 8am they closed the doors and pilot made an announcement that we'll be moving in just a moment. At 8:30am captain came on PA again and announced that ground crew is having problems closing aft cargo doors and we are waiting for Lufthansa mechanics.
Seat pitch in Turkish A320 is terrible for tall person like myself (6'4"). My knees were bleeding after sitting there for one hour, and we even haven't taken off. 9am pilot made another announcement that the problem has been solved and we should be on our way shortly. Finally at 9:30am we were pushed back from the gate. Almost 2 hours behind the schedule. Not the best first impression of the airline, but hey - stuff happens. The safety demonstration was done on drop down TV screens, and it was performed by Manchester United players It was pretty funny and kept people watching it until the end. Put few celebrities on the screen for the demo and you will have people pay attention. Smart idea.

Legroom on TK A320 (middle seat, ouch!)
http://flic.kr/p/bxctjD

Cabin overview TK A320
http://flic.kr/p/bxctd8

Window shot
http://flic.kr/p/bxctK6

Right after take off friendly flight attendants (yes, they were very friendly) distributed menus in the coach class. That was very nice touch, but I think its unnecessary waste of resources. The menu on this flight:

Blue cover:

Mutfakta Kim var? (Who is in the kitchen today?)

Menu

Plum Cake

--- ---

Cheese boric
Turkey ham and cheese toast.
Grilled red pepper / sauteed spinach

--- ---

Assorted cheese

--- ---

Ovenfresh bread selection
Butter / jam

--- ---

Beverages

Whisky, Gin, Vodka, Raki

Selected Turkish and international wines

Beers (Tuborg / Efes Pilsen)

Juices (orange, tomato, sourcherry, apple)

Soft drinks (fizzy rink, mineral water)

Hot drinks (coffee, tea)

The drink/food service started from the front and back. We were in the middle of the aircraft so we were one of the last people to be served. Another point how pointless is the menu distribution in economy class. Flight Attendant didn't ask anybody what they have chosen, she just puts the tray with the food in front of you. When we got our meals, we were asked for drink selection. Decided to go with Tuborg.
I guess they were not prepared to serve alcohol this early in the morning, because FA had to run to the back of the plane and bring us two Tuborgs. The food was an ok. Nothing special to write home about. It was not to my liking, but people have different tastes.

Meal
http://flic.kr/p/bxctuc

After meal
http://flic.kr/p/bxctAa

One hour into the flight a gentleman seating across from us in row 16D, E was trying to wake up his elderly father. Older gentleman didn't give any signs of life. His son was furiously trying to help him. Flight Attendants made an announcement asking for a doctor. Young German guy (he was about 25 at most), got up from his seats row 10 or 11 and said something to FA.
FA's brought two first aid kits and defibrillator. The funny or sad thing is, that in order to open one first aid kit box they had to open first one and remove the key for the second one! The doctor asked for portable air, keeping this poor man's head up opening his air pipes. The doctor put mask with the air flowing and he started checking for pulse. He asked Flight Attendants to find him something that would bring his blood pressure up. I can tell you that these FA's were more scared than the passengers. One FA was searching in one box and my buddy was searching for it in the second box (he was in the isle seat). Some Turkish lady seating 5/6 rows down, has offered her personal device for diabetics to check the level of the sugar in the blood. The doctor punctured old man's ear to get some blood.
I don't know what he did, but all of a sudden elder gentleman started moving his fingers but was still unconscious. The captain came over from the cockpit to check on the ill passenger, and to determine if we'll be making emergency landing in Bulgaria. Sick passenger was getting better because we continued to IST.
Rest of the flight was uneventful. We arrived in Istanbul two hours behind the schedule, but that didn't make any difference to us. We still had 4 hours until our next flight out of IST.
We arrived at the remote stand and were bussed to the gate. From there we went to passport control with a brief stop at visa booth, to purchase 90 days, multiple entry Turkish visa for $20 each.
At passport control, even thou we were number 4 and 5, we've waited at least 20 minutes. From there straight to the baggage claim to collect our bags and recheck them for our next flight.
Guess what? Priority tags worked! Our bags were in the first 5 bags on the belt. So we've collected the bags and went thru customs, only to go upstairs to recheck them for our next flight IST-WAW operated by LOT Polish Airlines.

More to come.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:30 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

IST-WAW
February 5
LOT Polish Airlines LO136
Boeing 737-400 SP-LLC
Painted in special Golden colors (used to be 20th anniversary of liberation from communists regime in 1989)
Seat 16D

After going through customs, we found our way upstairs to the check-in area to check our bags on the next flight. Unfortunately, LOT doesn't open check-in station until 2 hours before departure.
That gave us 2 hours in the terminal instead 2 hours in the TK lounge. With our bags tagged along, we made our way into food court. We had the table right next to the smoking balcony.
We've bought two Miller's and two lemon sodas. This came out to $25 USD. Talking about highway robbery. Next round was two local beers (Efes) and one mineral water. The total for this was $23.

Food court and smokers balcony.
http://flic.kr/p/bxB1w6

After one hour we went back to check-in area to see if there was any progress with LOT's station. At least now our flight was shown on the departure monitors, but without check-in information.
It was 45 minutes later when LOT's handling company opened two check-in lanes. One for Business Class passengers and one for Economy passengers. All of a sudden hundred + people jammed both lanes. Since we are both Star Gold we've lined up in the Business Class lane asking people if this is J lane. They would look at the signs and say 'yes' and leave the line to queue in Y.
Before the lady at the J counter started calling for people, we were first in line. All people have moved to Y counter. It was kind of funny. As I mentioned above, LOT is contracting local handling company to service their one daily flight WAW-IST. I was surprised that TK is not handling LOT's flight.
Anyway, per our request, very nice lady changed our seats (previous seats 11F and 12F) to 16D and 16F, and she also blocked the middle seat in our row. She was the best!
From there we went to the passport control in the middle of the terminal. We only had 2 or 3 people in front of us, so minute later we were almost airside (terminal in Istanbul is like terminal in Amsterdam. You have to go through passport control, but each gate has separate security screening).
Looked for the signs to the famous TK lounge. The lounge is located at the very end of the terminal. Three very attractive young ladies checked our BPs and *Gold cards and told us to go and scan our BP at the gate to the lounge.
First impression of the lounge - Huge! You almost need a map to navigate there The lounge looked better on the pictures than in person. Also, there was some strange smell all the way from the cooking station to the piano. I don't know what smells like that, but it wasn't pleasant. We found empty space past the piano and the smell.
We had 1 hour before our boarding time and decided to have JW Black on ice as a starter, with some olives and raw veggies. After that another round of JW and warm kebob with grilled veggies.
Made quick trip to bathroom before heading out to the gate. The interior of the bathroom itself was very warm and inviting, however the inside of the toilet cabins is ridiculous. Who's idea was to put mirrors - floor to ceiling? I don't want to see my naked butt infinity times when I'm doing my business.
We left the lounge with 20 minutes until boarding, because we wanted to have a smoke before the flight. There is huge smoking balcony halfway the terminal. Had quick smoke and rushed to gate 203.
When we arrived at the gate area they started calling for security screening. Only about 5 people were in front of us. Went through security in few minutes and waited for our aircraft to arrive at the gate.
After screening about 70 people, they've announced gate change! Now we had to go out and be re-screened at gate 202. This time we were waiting in lane for about 15 minutes before going through.
Our aircraft arrived few minutes behind the schedule, but it took them 15 minutes to get it ready for boarding. There was a priority boarding, just like most airlines do. Mother with kids. disabled people, business class, Miles & More together with Star Alliance Gold and Silver. We were one of the first onboard and I snapped couple of shots of the seats. The seat pitch in this aircraft was better than in Turkish A320. I had little bit more knee room.

LOT Interior B737-400
http://flic.kr/p/bxB1ze

Seat pitch LOT B737-400
http://flic.kr/p/bjG8A9

At the end of the boarding, there was a group of 9 Polish people (family) traveling together in the seats 14 ABC, 15 ABC and 16 ABC. Most of the overhead space was taken including above their seats. They realized that they can't fit everything above and started removing people belongings. The father would grab somebody's carry-on, he would ask who's is it, and when people said 'its mine' he would give it to them saying that this bin belongs to his family. I applaud these pax that took their stuff and put it few rows behind, if this jackass would touch my stuff I wouldn't go that easy.
That was so rude and awkward. They still had few bags left and they started removing people's jackets from the overhead bins and loading there their backpack! I'm talking about father stuffing his belongings in rows DEF. Talking about hypocrisy.
Anyway, flight time was about 2 hours and 5 minutes. We were served soft/hard drinks and Prince Polo, after that there was a meal service. It consisted of turkey-ham or chicken-ham 10' sub sandwich.
It was not bad.
Despite being delayed in Istanbul, we've landed in snowy Warsaw on time. At 7pm we didn't expect much traffic at the passport control. Turned out that we spent there 1 hour waiting in line. Only two planes arrived at that part of the airport. Ours from IST and AeroSvit from Kiev.
There were two lanes dedicated to All Passports, and one to EU Passports. At each kiosk you had two border control people, but one was in training. They would switch after 3 people and thats how I wasted over an hour waiting to get through immigration. EU lane was going much faster, at that point we wished that we brought with us EU passports.
By the time we got to the baggage claim, our bags were unloaded and were waiting for us. When we got outside it hit us. Temperature in Warsaw was -24 Celsius. I don't ever remember experiencing winter that cold. From there quick stroll to Courtyard hotel across the main terminal.
We've stayed there for the night and hit couple of nearby clubs. I got back to my room at 4am. I still had to wake up at 5am for 7am departure to my hometown Rzeszow. I've decided not to sleep but two days in travel + night on town got to me. I fell a sleep sitting up on the bed watching tv. Thanks God I've ordered two wake up calls. After 30 minutes of constant phone rings I finally woke up.
Took quick shower and left the hotel without checking out.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:34 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
While I agree the menu in Y is a bit of a waste of resources, it's still a nice touch. I was also surprised TK uses metal cutlery in Y.
How did you find IST? I was there a few months ago and found it to be something typically Turkish in the sense that it is a Middle-East meets Western world thing (ie: mosques in the airport, Burger King next to a Middle East restaurant, etc).
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:57 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WC_EEND
How did you find IST? I was there a few months ago and found it to be something typically Turkish in the sense that it is a Middle-East meets Western world thing (ie: mosques in the airport, Burger King next to a Middle East restaurant, etc).
I really didn't see Istanbul. I spent day and a half around the airport Plane spotting and eating Doners What I've seen at IST was definitely European Middle East.
If you go for example to Jordan, you will find BK or Mac joints pretty much everywhere in Amman. But there is a huge difference between Jordan and Turkey. Turkey is pretty much westernized.

Thanks for reading. Report from rest of the trip will follow.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
Well yeah, I was talking about the airport and not the city actually
Old Feb 24, 2012, 2:04 am

The flights sound pretty good, all in all. Thanks for posting.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:49 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

WAW-RZE
February 6
LOT Polish Airlines
LO 3805
Embraer EMB-175 SP-LIO
Economy Class Seat 15D

After quick stroll from the Courtyard to the terminal I was waiting in line to check in for my domestic flight to Rzeszow. About 10 positions were open in the business class check-in area. Got my boarding pass and proceeded to the security check. Five minutes later I was standing airside. I went to my gate (27) and took a seat. I could have gone to the LOT's lounge but I was so tired that I've decided to stay near the gate. This 7am flight from Warsaw to Rzeszow is pretty new. LOT started it few months ago. It was in response to OLT Express flying this route. That's why I was able to get the ticket for $7 each way
Five minutes till boarding they announced gate change. New gate was 23. All the people in the gate area moved to the new gate. This flight had a lot of people flying to Rzeszow on business. The most packed flights to RZE are
afternoon with people connecting from TATL flights. I was actually surprised to see so many people going to RZE for work. I guess the ticket prices were the main reason to have so many people flying instead of taking 4 hours drive.
For those who don't know anything about Rzeszow - Rzeszow is the capitol of the Podkarpacie province in southeastern Poland. Its the city of about 300 000 people. Its located 45 minutes west of the border with Ukraine and 1 hour north of the border with Slovakia.
The city is the aviation valley in Poland. WSK Rzeszow has been making aircraft engines and aircraft components since 1930s! PZL Mielec, which is located 25 miles north of the city has been the main factory to build thousands of Antonov AN-2s and AN-28s (M-28s) airplanes, and since last years VH-60s Black-hawk helicopters.
Few years ago, foreign companies from Germany, Canada and USA have opened factories making aircraft components.
That's enough about my city, back to the trip.
So the new gate was the bus gate. All passengers boarded the bus (about 60 people) and we proceeded to the remote stand where our shiny Embraer EMB-175 was waiting for us. Friendly Flight Attendant was greeting all the pax entering the aircraft and distributing morning papers. What I like about LOT is that on all of my recent flights with them, Flight Attendants were in full uniform, including the hat. That must be LOT's new policy, because I don't remember ever seeing them dressed like that. I liked that a LOT It looks very professional.
Boarding was done in no time. The captain introduced himself and rest of the crew. Minute later we left the stand for de-icing pad. It took few minutes to be de-iced, during that time FAs made safety demonstration in Polish and
English. Then we took off and cabin service started as soon as we hit 10K feet. The flight is only 30 minutes long so they had to move like a bees The choice was soft/hard drinks and traditionally Prince Polo chocolate bar. I
didn't get anything, I was trying to catch some zzzzzes but the flight was rather bumpy which kept me awake. I took couple of pictures and the flight deck crew announced approach into Rzeszow-Jasionka airport.
I've recorded last 7 minutes of the flight with my Coolpix point and shoot camera. You can see it here:

Window view
http://flic.kr/p/bmAMcE

LOT EMB-175 WAW-RZE Landing
http://youtu.be/0nK77vNCcXc

On this video you can see new terminal which was finished month earlier. Unfortunately its not operational yet. It will be signed off in April of this year. It is huge improvement over the current one. Since 2007 LOT had nonstop
flights to Rzeszow from JFK and EWR during the summer. I took advantage of it and flew LOT B767-300 in Business class last year before they discontinued it. When we arrived at the old terminal's baggage claim, there was only enough space for about 100 people. It was a chaos. This time only around 20 people were waiting for the bags so it felt empty.
The biggest operator at RZE airport is Ryanair with 5 daily flights to two London's airports, Edinburgh, Dublin and Frankfurt Hahn. The other operators at this airport are Lufthansa with daily FRA flight, LOT with 4 daily flights to
WAW and new entrant OLT Express with flight to Katowice and Warsaw.

My priority tagged bag arrived one of the first and I was on the way out. My father was waiting for me and we took 6 miles drive to my old place (the airport is located 7 miles / 11km from the city center).

I had nice big breakfast (my parents still think that I'm skinny) and I passed out in front of the tv from the exhaustion.

Time in Poland

The day I arrived I woke up on the cauch around noon. I had to go and pick up my rental car from downtown. The taxi was about $3 including the tip
I've been renting cars from the same place in my town since 2004 (Mercato), so it was only a minute before I had the key to VW Golf. On the way home I drove around the city to gather good memories from my childhood and few minutes later I was back at my parents place.

Here you can see view from my parents kitchen. Neighborhood built in late 70s. I spent my entire childhood playing on this playground
http://flic.kr/p/bmAMfJ

On Wednesday morning I got up at 2am to drive back to Warsaw to meet with my friend from the flights and go plane spotting at military airport of Minsk Mazowiecki EPMM. I am plane freak and I've been taking pictures of the airplanes for the last 16 years. Since I was driving at night there was absolutely no traffic. I got to his house in Warsaw in 3 hours and 15 minutes. Around 7am we left his place and first went to WAW Frederic Chopin airport to get some departure shots. It was soooooo cold. Thermometer in the car was showing -26 Celsius. We stayed at WAW airport until 10am and then left for Minsk Mazowiecki military base.

Departures from WAW airport
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjyLH9vM

Despite having detailed maps, it took us almost one hour to find spot to photograph at the approach to runway 09.

During the winter, most of the streets were covered with snow or impossible to drive on.
Right there we met with local spotter. He stayed with us until 3pm. We've got some great shots of Polish Air Force MiG-29s. The weather was nice until 2pm and then the clouds rolled in. Then we've moved to the location for approach to runway 27. After spending there almost 5 hours and getting few MiG-29s, CASA CN-295s, and Mi-8 helicopters we drove back to Warsaw.

Few pictures from Minsk
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjyN3WST

The 30 miles drive took almost one hour. We arrived at Warsaw Sheraton around 6pm (we had reservations for the rooms). Quick check-in, shower and drink. After that we were ready to have fun in town.
Next day when we were checking out, I went to the car in front of the entrance of the hotel I've opened the trunk to put our bags. Some lady saw me and she thought that I'll be leaving right now. She went in reverse without looking into the rear view mirror and she hit a guy in a car parked behind her. That was something else. The guy started cussing. He said that he just got his car back from the body shop last week. I felt bad for him.
After that we went to WAW airport to do some more shooting. Few pictures below.

Arrivals to WAW airport.
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjyPCuaP

After couple of hours I dropped him off at his place and took 4 hours drive back home.
Two days later (Friday) he drove to my place. It was his first time in my town. After lunch I took him downtown to show him the city and we hit the bars. Then went to the club and We got back home around 5am. I had TIME OF MY LIFE.

I never had that much fun in my life. I'm missing first week of February already
Next day he drove back to WAW and I started packing for my trip back to USA via Turkey.

More will follow soon

Last edited by bwiadca; Feb 29, 2012 at 8:58 pm
Old Mar 12, 2012, 1:10 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

RZE-WAW
February 12
LOT Polish Airlines operated by EuroLOT
LO3806
ATR-72 SP-LFF
Seat 15D

Last day in Poland I spent with my family. I also had to finish packing for my trip back home. After packing I went to my sister's place where I spent the night. At 5am it was time to get up, take shower and head back to my parents place to say goodbye and get my laguagge. My sister and her husband drove me to the airport where I was taking first departure to WAW at 9am.
I love the short distance to the airport. We left home around 7:30am and arrived at the airport at 7:45am.
Besides my flight to Warsaw there was Ryanair departure to UK. Quick check-in, got my bag tagged as heavy (27kg) and the lady said "that's it, you are done".
I left the area but something wasn't right. Of course, I didn't get my boarding pass. I went back to the same agent and she said that I don't need paper boarding pass since I've checked in online already.
That was news to me. I have never before checked in online for any LOT's flight. After a while she printed my BP and I went to say goodbye to my sister.
Two minutes later I was waiting in the gate area 1 (they have gate area 1 & 2 in the entire terminal). Quite a full flight for Sunday morning. I've noticed a lot of English speaking people in the suits.
Thats unusual time for business flying. But I guess rock bottom prices on this flight encouraged a lot of folks to take it.
The crew arrived from the hotel and went directly to the aircraft. Few minutes later boarding was announced. No groups, no zones, no status. Just boarding in general.
They've opened the door and we had to walk about 150 yards in a freezing weather to our ATR-72. What was cool was that our aircraft was parked side by side next to Antonov AN-124 Ruslan (which came to Rzeszow night before to pick up 3 VH-60 Black Hawk helicopters for Philippine Air Force).
When I got to my row I saw huge guy spilling into my seat. Not only that, but he also had his heavy coat on, which took few extra inches from my space. When I asked him to let me in, he just looked at me and got up. First thing what I did when I sat down was to put down the arm rest. Without it I would be crushed into the tiny walls of the ATR. He didn't like that idea. Well, he couldn't fit in the chair with the arm rest down. Finally he took off his coat and somehow squeezed into the seat.
Minutes later the door were closed down and we taxied to the deicing pad. The pilot announced that it will take only 5 minutes of our time. (it was negative 25 Celsius that morning).
When they were spraying the wings some of the gooey covered the windows. One lady said out loud "Gosh, we are so lucky. As soon as we boarded it started raining hard". Some people just looked at her in disbelieve and some people were chuckling under their noses.
The flight was rather uneventful. It lasted 35 minutes from take off to landing. Just regular service of hot and cold soft drinks. When we landed at Warsaw airport, we parked at the remote stand and had to transfer to the terminal by bus. When all passengers boarded the bus we were still standing with the door open. Finally after 3 minutes, bus driver came out from his cabin (Cobus 2000 or 3000 series) and loudly asked passenger to pick up last remaining carry on from the cart outside the aircraft. Guess what? Girl that made remark about the rain before the flight left the bus and picked up her carry on bag. Then she said in unhappy tone that they've told her that her bags will arrive with her in Florida. After she was back in the bus, the door closed and we arrived in the terminal.
Since I was flying on a separate ticket, I had to collect my bag from the belt. It took about 10 minutes before it showed up.
From there I went upstairs to the departure hall and called my buddy to check when he's planning to arrive at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.