Wiki Posts
Search

MCO-LGW in CLUB WORLD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX gold
MCO-LGW in CLUB WORLD

As I found out a lot of FT TR readers do not open links to blogs. As I want to give everybody a chance to read my report I placed it on here. Enjoy!!

Thursday, 26 May 2011
Welcome to my report about my recent trip with BA. My pictures are not of the best quality so forgive me. On the other hand, that makes the flight much better than the pictures which is a bonus for me I suppose. After 2 weeks in Florida it was time to go home to London. I checked the flight and we were running on time; time to go to the airport. I booked myself a chauffeur-driven car as it was my honeymoon. Look- he even smiled for the camera (after a 10 dollar tip that is).

He dropped us at the departure hall that we shared with the very famous.....

Into the building we went. This is where I started to sweat a litlle bit. I read on numerous blogs and TR that MCO did not offer a separate check in for CW passengers. Around the corner we came and what did we see?

Beautiful! Empty line with two check-in ladies sitting and looking at the massive queue that is called economy.
A nice lady asked " Are we flying club world today?" Oh yes we are. Full of smiles she asked for the passports so she could do the check-in for us both. I asked her to see if there was a possibility to wrap my suitcase in plastic as the sheer volume of all the Mickeys and Minnies had taken its toll on my brand new suitcase. she pointed me in the direction of a travel shop straight away. She told my wife she could stay at the desk and finish the check in. Five minutes later I found a belt to secure my suitcase. I returned and completed my check-in. 'Do you know the way to the lounge sir?' she asked. Of course I said as I had checked it out online for days on end before flying.

The shuttle train that took us from the security area to terminal B gate 80

After the screening we headed for the little train that would drop us at the right terminal. A good tip for CW flyers; as I read on TR that there also was no priority line through security I asked the check-in lady if there was a quick way through security. She said no but that it was commonly accepted that CW and any other business pax could use the 'expert traveller' queue. The expert traveller queue you can find on the left side of the screening area and has a black diamond with a walking pax in the middle. It is normally reserved for frequent flyers and staff. I went through and the agent had a big smile on his face whilst screening our passports. Not a spot of bother using this line. It took us only five minutes to get through . I think for an American airport that is quite an achievement.

After exiting the train we were at one of the four arms that make MCO airport. We came in the central hall and looked around for the lounge entrance. Other TR mention to go right when you exit the train, that is not correct- when you exit the train you have to go to the main hall, go to the left corner were the elevator is situated that will bring you to the third floor where the lounge was situated.

We took the elevator to the lounges. In MCO BA uses the Delta Crown lounge. Note how BA and VS are dumped under the"also serving" bit of this rather shiny metal panel. How dare they...

We were welcomed to the lounge by a very helpful receptionist. He told me after I mentioned TR that this was the lounge for delta domestic business pax. He said that the international lounge was much better with a great choice of hot and cold food, showers etc. It almost sounded like the sweet man wanted to apologise even before I had walked in the lounge for the lack of any facilities. I smiled to him and said not to worry, i knew from TR what to expect. He smiled; Sir, if you read this, thank you for your hospitality and great service.

Now the lounge: Wifi, comfy seats, spotless toilets, a fully stocked bar with bartender, cookies ,veg sticks nuts, pretzels and some more food to pick at. The only negative is that they had taped the windows of to protect people from the bright sunshine. All well except if you are an airline geek who wants to shoot some action pics.

Vegetables in America.....only for the rich apparently... didn't see a veg for two weeks...You need to be in a lounge for veg sir!!!

We had some beers and gin tonics just to settle the stomach down for all the champagne we had to drink on the return flight.It was getting late so we had to make a move and find the gate where a 777 would be parked waiting to take us home.
Arriving at the gate this is what we saw. Call me a geek but isn't it a beautiful sight?

MCO-LGW
BA 2036
Seats 1E and 1F
Departure: 17.35PM
Actual take off: 17.55PM
flight time: 07.50 Hrs.

Upon boarding we were led to our seats. It was the first row in the front CW cabin. i can tell you now that the proximity to the toilet and galley are not bothersome at all. So do not be afraid to go for these seats. Your orders are taken first food wise as well so " Sorry sir,we ran out off your choice" is not something you will hear seated in these seats. We had a nice blanket and some very good noise reducing headsets on our seat. we placed them in the storage locker located at your feet. straight away we were offered Champagne and a newspaper. Boarding took another 15 minutes. Then we had the safety demonstration whilst rolling to take off point. we stood there for 15 minutes as one after the other DL shot past jumping the queue and taking off leaving us standing like a schoolboy on his first day at big school. Not daring to move and just looking stupid really.

As we were taking off I took this shot. I am 1.83M and for the love of god Icould not reach the seat in front of me.

Placed at you left shoulder you had a reading light, the connection for your headsets and your remote control. I never used this control as I used the touch screen all the way. It just came in handy to up or lower the volume as we went.

Further on the left side you had the tray that came out as you pushed a rather awkward located button that seemed to disappear in the rest of the front panel. Then you had the TV. And yes ladies and gents it was AVOD.The only negative was that only the movie selection was changed for the return flight.The TV and music selection was completely the same. I am sure it is not rocket science to sort this out BA?

Just on the left of tray and TV were the buttons to control your seat. About the seat, it is absolutely the best seat I have ever sat on. Wide, soft, and comfy in all positions. It is really like lying on your couch at home whilst being up in the skies.

Once the seatbelt sign went out the crew offered the amenity pack and the menu.

The amenity pack on show. The usual lip balm, face wipe, socks, earplugs, toothbrush, and eye shades. Nothing special really and a bit on the small side. But then again, i didn't use a single thing to be honest.

The menu was accompanied with a serving of pre dinner drinks and some nuts. Not ordinary nuts but organic nuts with non organic salt. How......unusual. We both took the Champagne which was Lanson black Label.

Last edited by thomastuyaerts; Jan 2, 2012 at 9:02 am
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:36 am
Original Poster

What was on the menu?

Starters

Smoked salmon with poached asparagus, fromage blanc and lemon honey with garlic aioli.
or
Italian styled mozzarella couscous with winter mushrooms, artichoke cocktail and balsamic glaze.

Fresh seasonal salad with vinaigrette.

Main

Beef short rib with bordelaise sauce and winter vegetables.
or
artic char with morel mushrooms and roast potatoes.
or
Mediterranean ravioli with cherry tomato marinara sauce.

Dessert

chocolate and praline layer cake with fresh berries.
or
New England Cheddar and Blue stilton with grapes and biscuits
or
A selection of fruit.

I had the salmon as a starter. absolute winner and a real good tasty dish. The bread served with the dishes was nice and warm and was so soft teeth weren't needed to eat it.

followed by arctic char. Nice and moist with a great sauce and some lush potatoes on the side. again a winner.

Cheese....Mmmmmm, do i need to say more? excellent!!

What there was to drink?

Champagne: Lanson Black Label Brut and Ayala Brut Majeur

Red: Chateaux Barateau 2006 H Medoc France, Crozes Hermitage 2008 France, Villa San juliette Merlot 2008 USA and Chorto Reserva Syrah 2008 Chille.

white: Chablis Saint Claire 2009 France, Esporao Reserva 2008 Porugal,and Tokara sauv Blanc 2010 South Africa. Let me tell you that all the choices were on board and ready to be drank. The service in general was correct, with smiles and at a very good pace. It didn't feel rushed at all. Again no comments but good ones to give here.

After the meal service the lights were dimmed to create a very nice mellow chilled atmosphere. I made my bed ready to try and catch some sleep. The bed was so long and wide you have no idea.

After 5 hours of having a lot of turbulence the lights were turned on to prepare for the breakfast service.

The menu
Fruit Juice or a smoothie.
Seasonal fruit or yoghurt.

Bakery

Bacon roll with tomato sauce
selection of breads and pastries.

Again the food was fresh, tasted great and asking for more wasn't an issue. The service was swift as landing was very close. The captain gave all the local info and we landed at LGW at 07.35 local time.

Verdict[/B]

As I was reading all the negatives on TR and review sites I was a bit worried. Thank god I can tell all my fellow TR readers that BA has a great product all designed around a great seat. The seat is the star and does overshadow the rest of the service a bit, I happily admit . The service is nice but limited. The "show" Asian carriers have on offer will never be found on a BA flight. For your money you get a great seat, tasty food with a good selection of drinks, a fantastic amount of Avod and a breakfast before landing. The crew was full of smiles and very close on the ball. during this flight I found one crew member asking all the Pax awake if they needed a drink or snack all the time. plenty of trays with water and juice came around all flight long.

Would I fly them again?
Yes, based on this flight BA does deserve to keep my trust.

My next travel will be NCL-LGW-MCO-LGW-NCL with the long-haul sector in club world in May 2012. I will report on the arrival lounge @ LGW. If there are any other items you would like me to check out or read in the following report then give me a shout.

Last edited by thomastuyaerts; Jan 2, 2012 at 7:45 am
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Nice TR, thanks for putting it together. Loved the comment about vegetables in lounges.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Thx econometrics, Yes the lounge bit was quit funny, it made my day lol
Old Jan 3, 2012, 3:40 am

Interesting trip report. Thanks for posting.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Thx camsean, my pleasure
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! Excellent TR!! Keep it up the good work. ^^^
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looked like you had a very satisfying flight.

Thanks for the report. ^
Old Jan 7, 2012, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Thx HIDDY, yes it was a very pleasant flight. it was all you can expect of a "bucket and spade£ route. and since it was £1950 less expensive then virgin UC a good deal as well.^
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I suspect the DL chap was 'yanking your chain' as they say. That's as good as it gets for lounges at MCO as I understand...
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Thx Tony, Yes I asked the chap about lounge quality. He answered that US lounges in general are rather poor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.