SEA to ZRH in AA F/Y and BA WT/ET

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K

When AA announced that the “informal” Million Miler program was going to be formalized, I began taking a close look at where I was going to land when the changes took effect. I had just under 1.95M Program Miles to date (at AA these included not only BIS miles but any bonus, promotional or other type of mile). Starting December 1st, only actual flown miles would count towards MM status. As I have taken a bit of a break from work (and my recent travel has involved redeeming miles and not earning them), I figured that it would be best to wrap up my status while I still had my 100% Platinum bonus. I had a $360 credit that I needed to use from a cancelled ticket in March so things were pretty open. After transferring (or should I saw laundering) some AMEX Membership Rewards points through my SPG account and an upcoming trip to Tampa in December for the holidays, I was about 26K miles short of hitting the 2MM threshold. The prize would be Lifetime Platinum on AA plus (4) eVIP upgrades. I found a great fare to Peking but realized that I would have to deal with getting a visa and the cost would bump things up a bit. I then reread some posts and realized that by waiting until 2012 to “crossover” I would add almost another year to the life of these SWU’s. So, my goal was to find a trip that would get me to about 1.99M miles and then do a quick jaunt in January 2012 to top things off. My requirements were simple:

*Travel dates had to be November 19-21

*Destination had to be in a city with either light rail or cheap transit to the city

*No more than one connection on the way back home to Seattle

*Decent availability at a Marriott or InterContinental hotel

*Exit Row seating on all legs

*Fare under $850 all-in before using my voucher

*Avoid the dreaded T3-T5 connection at LHR if at all possible

I looked at several iterations and combed through tons of options (and if the TSA is looking at airline reservations held and then cancelled, I am sure that I would have raised a flag or two! LOL). FCO, MXP, ARN, HEL and CPH were too expensive, BUD put me over my mileage threshold, I had already been to MAD and BCN this year and I had already done too many mileage runs to FRA, LHR and CDG that I just didn’t want to do them again!
With that, I stumbled upon Geneva. The fare was good, airport close to the city, award space at the InterContinental downtown and the connection at LHR looked doable. The downside was that it was a way too early flight out on 11/21 connecting through ORD and I hate International arrivals there and then transferring back to T3. With a bit more toying around, I found SEA-JFK-LHR-ZRH-JFK-SEA for just a smidge over $850, great flight times, exit rows on all of the AA flights and a chance to fly BA across the pond to make an easy T5-T5 connection at LHR. I booked a room at the Renaissance Zurich near the airport (right on the tram line) and the plan was set in motion!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: Miles and more Senator, Matmid Silver, AAdvantage GLD, Starwood
Congratulations from Zurich.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Part I: SEA-JFK in AA F

Saturday, November 19, 2011
AA #268 SEA-JFK
Seat: 3E (originally 14C – upgraded with 500 mile stickers)
Scheduled: 0745-1600
Actual: 0800-1537

As usual, whenever I have an early morning flight I wind up waking up an hour before the alarm goes off. So, starting at 0400, I just started staring at the clock in hopes of falling back to sleep for that last golden hour. After drifting in and out of sleep for 45 minutes, I just decided to get up and start the long travel day. An unintended consequence was as soon as I woke up; Xena (our 8 month old yellow lab) decided that it was wake up time for everyone. I jumped in the shower and my partner got up to take her for a walk. We had planned to leave at 0530 for Sea-Tac but I got ready quickly and he managed to wrap up her walk and get coffee going for the road. We were all loaded in the car by 0520 and off to the airport we went!

After living in Chicago for years, I am still getting used to how the banks of flights flow on the West Coast. After sailing down to the airport traffic was heavy as we pulled up to the ticketing level. We managed to get close to the AA counter and it was kisses for Dan and for Xena before jumping out. The counter was actually pretty quiet as the 0600 bank of flights were getting ready for pushback. The AAgent was only able to check me in as far as JFK and informed me that I would have to check-in with BA for my flights to LHR and ZRH. I would have to change terminals at JFK anyway so it wasn’t a big deal – except for the fact that I was on an AA codeshare and I thought the whole purpose of the JBV/ATI was to make travel on AA/BA/IB a seamless one. Oh well, no biggie plus I was going to pop by the counter anyway to see if there were any buy-up offers to WT+ on my flight.

After getting through security rather quickly, it was off to the Alaska Boardroom for more coffee and a yogurt. I was able to get online and check on weather and reservations. About 0650 I started the trek from the Boardroom to gate A8. I have to say, I really do miss the AC that used to be located right across from A9. The schlep across the terminal can be a pain but I would be sitting most of the day so all is well.

Boarding started promptly at 0715 and I was the 1st onboard. Normally I try not to act like gate lice but sitting in a bulkhead with carryon bags meant I wanted to be sure that I would have to swim against the tide of deplaning pax when we arrived at JFK. I was surprised to see that each seat had the grey duvets and international J/F pillows at each seat. Today we were on a new 737-800 – she even had that “new plane” smell. While the pillow and duvet were greatly appreciated, it is quite a bit to juggle when you are settling in (pillow, duvet, coat, reading material). After a few moments, coats were collected. Once boarding had slowed, pre-departure beverages were offered (OJ or Water from a tray). After a nearly on-time pushback from the gate, we were off into the air in no time.

As soon as the 10,000’ chime sounded, FA’s started prepping for service. Menus were handed out and meal selections were taken using FEBO. On today’s flight, our options would be:

MAIN COURSES
Corned Beef Hash – a traditional corned beef hash accompanied by scrambled eggs flavored with cream cheese and chives (An American Classics item)
Fresh Fruit Appetizer
-or-
Cereal with Fresh Fruit and Yogurt – served with a banana and fresh season berries
BREAKFAST BREADS
A selection of breakfast breads
LIGHT REFRESHMENTS
Freshly baked on board cookies

After breakfast selections were taken, hot towels were passed out followed by morning beverages. I went with the Corned Beef Hash this as I had not seen this offered before. Trays were delivered individually (no carts in the aisle). The set up included a fresh fruit plate with 4-5 slice of ripe and sweet cantaloupe, 2 slices of kiwi (a bit unripe) and a strawberry cut in half. The Corned Beef Hash was served in a cereal style bowl. The corned beef was actually shredded and not “mushy” or ground up and it was tossed with diced potatoes, green and red bell peppers and onions. On top of the hash were the scrambled eggs. Overall, it was a neat and clean presentation. The eggs were well cooked and the cream cheese kept them moist. The hash was well seasoned and not at all greasy. I really liked this hot option as opposed to the mystery quesadilla or greasy omelet. The crew did a nice job on keeping OJ, water and coffee topped off (as well as the folks in 3AB that were downing mimosas and plain sparkling wine).

Once breakfast trays were cleared, water bottles were passed out in the cabin. The cabin then settled down with folks grabbing the rest of their morning snooze or laptops, Ipads and kindles got fired up. About 60 minutes prior to arrival, the fresh baked cookies made an appearance (choice of chocolate chip or cranberry). The usual small glass of milk was absent for this one – but certainly not a deal breaker. We took the scenic route to JFK, coming across CT and Long Island then shooting up from a southeast direction to JFK. A quick taxi and we were on the gate at 1537 – almost 25 minutes early.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Part II: JFK-LHR in BA WT

BA 112 (sold as AA 6133) JFK-LHR
Seat: 35D
Scheduled: 1835-0625 +1
Actual: 1831-0610 +1

I was the first off AA 268. As I mentioned, we arrived at Gate 42. From there, it was a quick 10 minute walk to the Airtrain (signage was surprising well done and easy to read). I waited just a minute or two for a train to pop over to Terminal 7 and BA. There were no lines to speak of and I snuck around the corner to use the Club World check-in (allowable as a OW Sapphire). There were just two people ahead of me and it was no longer than 5 minutes before it was my turn. The agent printed out my BP to LHR (and laughed when she saw I was just going to be in Zurich for just one night). I asked about a paid upgrade to WT+ and the agent checked. They were being offered for $250. For a 6ish hour long flight, I just didn’t think that it would be money well spent. Now, if it was the 9+ hour flight from/to Seattle, it would have been money very well spent I’m sure. The agent said that my seat 35D was a good one and that all of the bulkheads were already taken. She invited me to use the Galleries/Terraces Lounge (conflicting signage in the terminal) and off I went. There was a F/J/Elite security line next to the CW check-in desks and I made it through in no time – except for forgetting about the bottle of water I stuffed in my backpack from the flight in from Seattle (rookie mistake!). From there it was just a short walk to the Lounge near gate 5 where we would be departing this evening.

Now, for my BA brothers and sisters, quite often I hear about the horrid state of the Admirals Club facilities and that Galleries/Terraces lounges are the be all and end all when travelling. My question for you: have you looked at the JFK lounge lately? Rather utilitarian looking with its fair share of nicks and dents on the furniture and floors. The green paint is somewhat hospital looking and the doors with the little portholes are, how shall we say, unique? I will say that a self serve bar is easier to use and there are more options to nibble on but – seriously – what is it with the British fascination with little crustless sandwiches with one sliver of meat on them? I mean, AA snack mix is pretty comparable in my mind! (and yes, I have put on the flame retardant suit awaiting responses).

I left the lounge at about 1740 and boarding was already in process when I reached the gate. I made the shameful turn right (instead of left) upon entering the aircraft and made my way to the “whY oh whY” (I mean World Traveler) cabin. I was in seat 35D in the mini-cabin just aft of WT+. The first thing that came to mind is how tight the seat pitch was in the cabin. It’s fine for the 6 hour jump from JFK but there is no way I could do it all the way to JNB, SYD or even the flight from SEA to LHR. The cabin filled quickly and only two open seats remained when the doors closed: 36F and 36J. 35D wasn’t a bad seat for a solo traveler and, for solo’s who like aisle seats, go for the middle section (that way only one person would have to crawl over you versus 2 if you go with the C or H seats. The only downside was that, as I am right handed, mealtime was a little tight as my seatmate was a lefty! In place on the seat was a blanket, pillow and headphones.

A quick note about WT+: I thought the cabin looked fine – very much like domestic F in the US. Seating was in a 2-4-2 configuration and pitch looked generous. For a longer trip, I could springing for it but not for the 6 hours from JFK.

Doors were closed and we were off the gate early at 1830. Of course, we had a very s-l-o-w taxi at JFK and finally took-off at 1900. Let me tell you – I think that this 744 was here when Moses was a child. There were more creaks, groans and shudders as we took-off than I expected. I have been relatively spoiled, my past experiences on a 744 have either been F on CX, QF and BA or J on BA so I assume they all made the same sounds – I was just too far forward to hear them! 

About 10 minutes into the flight the crew started service. The curtain was open between WT+ and WT so I can share a bit on both services. Menus and hot towels were offered in WT+. The drinks trolley started in WT+ and then came through the WT cabin. Both WT+ and WT received beverages in plastic cups – and ice seemed to be limited to four (4) cubes per person (must be a UK thing). Following the drinks service, meals were served. Again, the trolley started in WT+ with their entrees loaded on top of the cart. They also received proper wine glasses with their individual bottles of wine. I am not sure of the choices in WT+ but in WT we had the following:

MAIN COURSES:
Chicken or Lasagna

Both were served with a cold, hard roll, a pat of butter, small green salad with vinaigrette, a cup of water and a banana cake with cream cheese icing. Cutlery was metal with a proper cloth napkin and the BA metal napkin ring holding it all together. A choice of red or white wine was offered with dinner as well – but served with a plastic cup.

When the FA asked me what I would like (“Chicken or Beef…oh wait, I meant Lasagna.”) I opted for the chicken. My thought was it would be some type of grilled or sauced chicken and veggies (lasagna just seemed to heavy). When I peeled back the foil I found that it was actually a Chicken Masala type dish with rice and some type of chickpea mash on the side. I was a little taken aback at first but it was quite tasty and filling. Not too spicy but a nice little punch. Now, if I were adverse to Indian style cuisine, this would have been a problem as the FA should really have said what type of chicken it was. Once meals were delivered, a pass through with coffee and tea was made. After trays were cleared we had just over 3 ˝ hours to go. Of course, by that time, a case of the ‘ol flat a$$ had settled in and it was time to get up and stretch.
I did play around with the AVOD system. Not bad for the trip of this length – the screen was easy to see and there was a decent selection of films to watch. The TV offerings were a bit slim (but then I survived years of CBS Eye on American and 50 zillion viewings of Everybody Loves Raymond so I guess I should really give them a + on this). Music was a bit sketchy for my taste but I do like the option of building your own playlist.

About 90 minutes prior to landing breakfast was offered – a cold muffin and a cup of coffee. Not that there was really anything that one needed after having dinner 3 hours prior – just seemed a bit on the lame side (at least AA heats up their croissants). We landed in heavy fog about 15 minutes ahead of schedule and then crawled to our gate. The crew announced that because of the poor visibility they had to go extremely slow. I think we were lucky to have gotten in at all. After reaching the gate, it took about another 20 minutes to disembark from the WT cabin (boy, do I miss sitting in the pointy end of the plane!).

Upon reaching the terminal building it was a quick hop through T5C to the train over to T5A and the FCC. There were no lines to speak of and I headed up to security for screening. I am still puzzled as to why I need to clear security after I have just gotten off a plane where I had been screened (at JFK) and have not left the sterile area of the terminal. No matter, there were no lines and I zipped right through. Had I been on a later arrival, I am sure it would have been a different story.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 6:33 am

Programs: DL-Gold; BAEC-Newbie Silver
Nice TR so far, keep it coming.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Waiting for continuation
Old Nov 22, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
I was also on the BA112 on the 19th! Seat 34K. Thickest fog I have ever seen coming into LHR.

Small world
Old Nov 22, 2011, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DWFI
I was also on the BA112 on the 19th! Seat 34K. Thickest fog I have ever seen coming into LHR.

Small world
Small world indeed! How did you manage in that window seat? I don't think I could have managed being held hostage by the window.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Part III: LHR-ZRH in ET

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 20, 2011
BA 712 (sold as AA 6482) LHR-ZRH
Seat: 9C (Exit Row)
Scheduled: 0855-1135
Actual: 0855-1154

I left the lounge at about 0750 as the gate was still not posted for the flight in the Galleries Lounge. By the time I walked out the down and got down the escalator it was on the board as departing from A10. It was then that I realized that this would be a bus out to a remote stand. I went downstairs and was actually happy to see that the Fast Track lane for the flight included OW Sapphires (and not just CE or BA Golds). I was the 2nd person on the bus and we started boarding at 0820. After abit of a hectic drive around the tarmac because of the fog and traffic, we made it to the A319 that would be our ride for the day.

I boarded and, as I was in an exit row, all bags had to go up in the overhead. Glad that this flight was only about 50-60% full or this could have been trouble as everyone had a rollerboard for the flight. It was then that the one downside to the trip happened: a family of 4 boarded in 8ABCD (mom, dad and two kids under the age of 7). And, of course, you guessed it, the crying, wailing and gnashing of teeth because someone couldn’t sit next to the window. The parents were laughing it off and I was starting to get a bit steamed. Yes, I know that kids will be kids but parents also have to ACT like parents. I know if I had behaved like that, I would have been given something to cry about (or at least had the fear of God put into me if I didn’t chill). I guess that’s the difference – I didn’t get on a plane until I was 12 years old – every other trip was in a car or I stayed home. RANT <OFF>.
After the window crisis was solved and the rest of the pax boarded, we buttoned up the forward door and pushed off the gate…to wait on a taxiway. After about 30 minutes, we finally took off. I don’t know what it is about Airbus aircraft, but to me they just sound funny on takeoff. Anyway, after a fast roll down the runway we popped up above the fog to be able to see the London skyline. Within a few moments the crew was in the aisle with a ham & cheese sandwich on a seeded role served with a cup of OJ. After that, the duty free cart made an appearance (since we were flying to a non-EU member everything was available!). Then, before you knew it, we were on our descent into ZRH.

Just a quick side note: is it a rule that BA Cabin Crew are either bald, have shaved their heads, have crew cuts or flat tops? In the two flights and seeing crew in the terminals, I just don’t recall seeing anyone with hair of any mentionable length. Okay, the 22 hours without sleep is kicking in!
Old Nov 22, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Small world indeed! How did you manage in that window seat? I don't think I could have managed being held hostage by the window.
Sleep

From the moment we took off and BA's multitude of announcements were complete, to the 20 minutes to landing call, I was catching my zzzzzs. I can only sleep in Y with a window seat. I had a very brief trip, with JFK-LHR-VIE and then immediately on Sunday afternoon coming back VIE-FRA-EWR with Lufthansa, and I didn't want to be dead when I got back home.

The large amount of champagne I had in the Concorde Room and the pre-flight meal there definitely helped!
Old Nov 22, 2011, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Renaissance Zurich (Glattpark) - Comments

I spent 25,000 Marriott Reward Points for my one night stay at the Renaissance Zurich. The hotel is located six (6) stops using either Tram #10 or #12 from the airport. It is an easy 9 minute ride from the airport. I purchased a One Day Zurich Card for CHF20. This gave me 24 hours of transportation, free museum entrances and a variety of dicounts. The hotel is not in the prettiest of neighborhoods - outside of a huge Zurich Insurance office complex and a car dealership, there is not much around it. I got to the hotel at about 1230 and committed the biggest Mileage Run sin: I fell asleep as soon as I got to my room! Sheer exhaustion kicked in and I needed a nap. I woke up about 1500, jumped in the shower, checked some email and headed into Zurich. I took the #11 Tram into the city and travel time was about 25 minutes. Of course, when I got off at the main train station, I realized that there is no shopping on Sundays (my American mindset - doh!). Downtown was pretty subdued and Christmas decorations were just starting to go up. I strolled around the Banhoff Strasse and then headed over to the east bank of the Limet and grabbed a quick bite to eat. After dinner, it was back to the hotel.

As far as the Renaissance Zurich, I really didn't use the facilities. The Fitness Center was closed 01 Nov to 01 Dec. I didn't dine at the hotel (but they did have a major Sunday Brunch in full swing when I checked in). The room itself was large by European standards but the furniture was a bit dinged up and the TV was a huge picture tube model. In-room high speed internet access was very expansive - CHF29 per 24 hours. You could buy it in increments of a few minutes or a 120 minute block. I will say that the Front Desk folks were quite friendly, helpful and gave great hints on how to get around.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Part IV - ZRH-JFK in AA Y

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2011
AA 65 ZRH-JFK
Seat: 22CEG (Originally 21B-Exit Row)
Scheduled: 1010-1320
Actual: 1030-1325 (from the AA website but my watch said 1010-1310)

I managed to sleep until about 0200 then just stayed in bed and stared at the ceiling for a bit. I did a little channel surfing and managed to find the Eagles-Giants game (one of the good things about being way jet-lagged). I repacked my bag, surfed the net and finally decided to jump in the shower at 0500.

After a quick 9 minute ride on the #12 Tram, I found myself at the Airport City entrance to Flughafen Zurich just before 0630. Already, there was a bit of a hustle and bustle to the airport – a combination of travelers and workers streaming into the building. I made my way to Terminal 2 check-in. AA65 wasn’t on the boards yet so I strolled around until I found the ticket counter. Amazing how much space AA has for just one flight a day to JFK. I thought I would try to check-in using one of the kiosks and see if one of the mystical LBFU’s would be offered for this flight. The process was simple and it even accepted my passport (normally it is hit or miss). Unfortunately, no upgrades were offered for this guy and I would have to travel in my ticketed cabin – whY. I scanned the seatmap to see if the flight looked full and, surprisingly, it seemed to have filled up since last checking on Saturday. When I finished the process and attempted to collect my bp’s, only two blank one were issued by the machine. So, I collected those and off to the ticket counter I went. I was the first there and completed the security quiz. I asked the person doing the screening about the kiosks and she said that they don’t issue bp’s. Kind of defeats the purpose – but oh well. The ticket agent was pleasant, quickly issued my bp’s and gave me directions to the Dnata Skyview Lounge. As I was not traveling in Business I assume that I received access as either a OW Sapphire or as an AC member. In either case, I was grateful to have a place to camp out for a bit.

After going through Boarding Pass Control, I found myself in the shopping/dining complex. I decided to pick up some treats for my partner (a huge chocolate fan) and something for our friend who is hosting us for Thanksgiving Dinner this week. A quick stop at Spruigli (and $50 later) it was off to the lounge. Located on 3rd floor, the lounge is a contract one for everyone from American Airlines to Qatar Airways. An ample bar, a coffee machine and a selection of packaged snacks – both sweet and savory were offered. There are 5 computers located at the back of the room and a television on the opposite wall with either Sky News or BBC News. I spent a good bit of time surfing the net over a couple cups of coffee and these amazing packaged walnut pies (a bit like a Swiss version of a gourmet Pop Tart!).

I headed for the gate about 0840 as I still had to pass through Passport Control, take the tram over to the E Gates and clear security. Lines were basically non-existent and I breezed right through and was at the gate by 0900. I strolled around the gates and looked through the last two duty free shops. I really suggest that you don’t plan on doing heavy duty shopping in the gate area because the pickings are really slim! I made it over to E35 and the gate area seemed quite subdued. I couldn’t tell for sure, but the gate area did not seem to be as full as the seatmap suggested. Boarding started a little past 0930. Today we drew the unlucky straw and were on a 767-300 with the old interior. This meant that bags didn’t fit easily into the overheads and the lockers above 20AB/HJ were blocked off due to the partition behind the crew rest seats. This means that row 20 has to go backwards to find space for their stuff – then row 21 has to go a row behind them (you get the picture), As boarding progressed the cabin seemed really empty. I was somehow expecting a last minute rush but it never came. In the meantime, everyone started eyeballing new real estate for our 8h30m trip. The CEG seats in rows 20-24 were empty and we all started making our plans. 21A was empty so I had my choice: Stay in 21B with an empty seat next tome or try to plan my own “Occupy AA65” movement. At 0950 the command to arm the doors was given and I made a beeline for 22CEG. The guy behind me in 22B took 23CEG and the lady in 21H took 21CEG. After that, folks started circling for the newly vacated exit row seats (20HJ never filled, someone grabbed my 21AB and another guy grabbed 21HJ). The woman in 20AB stayed in her assigned seat.

We pushed off the gate at 1000 and the captain came on the PA to say that our takeoff slot was at 1040 and that they were trying to bump it up a bit. Within 10minutes he came back on to say that that an earlier slot was approved and off we went. This bird rattled and creaked down the runway and then seemed to just jump into the air. After some really unusual banking maneuvers, it was off to New York.

About 20 minutes into the flight a beverage service was offered. I have to say, $7 for a vodka is a little steep – especially when you don’t event get any snack mix or peanuts to go with it. Hopefully AA will start making some dough so that comp drinks in coach can come back on International flights. Lunch followed shortly thereafter. Choices were:

Main Course
Chicken with Sundried Tomato Sauce served with spaghetti and finely julienned carrots and zucchini
–or-
Pasta served with a Tomato and Cheese Sauce

The tray set-up include a green salad with Caesar Dressing, a cold roll with pumpkin seeds on top of it, a package of crackers with a tub of Laughing Cow cheese spread and Walkers Oatmeal Honey Biscuits for dessert. A small bottle of water was also on the set-up. All in all, it was a pretty sad little tray. Compared to BA, the portions seemed smaller and the package of cookies is a poor dessert substitute. I had the chicken and it was tasty enough but the spaghetti side was uber salty. Trays were picked up in short order and by then I was a bit on the sleepy side. I made a quick change into my sweats and slippers and made up my nest and decided to get a bit of sleep. I managed to sleep from just over the north of England and woke up as we were making landfall over Newfoundland & Labrador (for the life of me, I always get confused which is which).

60 minutes out from JFK the snack service started. Today it was Four Cheese pizza and a Walkers Shortbread Cookie Stick. The pizza was not the Uno’s deep dish variety that I have grown to love (yes, I know it can be a bit soggy and goopy but I just loved it). This was a thin crust variety about 5-6” long and 3-4” wide and served in a little box. I seem to have had this one before ex-ZRH (maybe they don’t do deep dish in Switzerland?). Anyway, it was fine as was the cookie. I seem to recall that at one point there were grapes served with this as well – cost cutting measure perhaps (just like the great olive debate of 10 years ago).

Trays were picked up and in no time we were on the ground at JFK. After a quick walk to CBP facilities, it took about 15 minutes to clear the US Citizens line. Arriving at about the same time were flights from Manchester, Milan, Brussels and our flight from Zurich. Since I wasn’t waiting for a bag, it was a quick exit out through Customs….only to see that my 1555 connection flight to Seattle was delayed until 1900. ARGHHHHHHH! Of course, this confirmed one of the basic rules of physics: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Because I was able to get the “poor man’s upgrade” on the way across the pond, the reaction was that I had to face this delay with a smile.

After reentering the terminal, I went upstairs to the Premium Check-In area to see what my options were. This Zone 1 space is meant to mimic the Premium check-in areas offered by BA and CX with First Class passengers seated at desks instead of standing a (horrors!) line. Nice concept, but not really well executed. It looked a tad cheap – the desks didn’t seem high end – more like something bought at Ikea. Anyway, I went over to the Business Class line (there wasn’t anyone there) and the agent looked up the scoop on AA269 for me. It was a delayed inbound aircraft causing the mischief. I could either go coach on a direct flight (stopping at DFW with no change of plane) getting in at the same time as my current flight or do the same thing via Chicago getting in at midnight. In neither case would AA be able to confirm my upgrade so I figured I would be best to stick with what I had. At least this way I knew I had a confirmed seat in F and would get a transcon dinner (read: sundae) versus doing two midcons with the potential of bad weather screwing the plans even further. Plus, if anything else happened, I was a connecting pax on an international flight so hopefully I would have some mercy shown upon me. Besides, I think I just came to the realization that I am just too old to add a side trip to DFW and not earn any additional miles for it (as a through flight, it was the same flight number so just the direct miles of JFK-SEA).

I made my way to security in Terminal 8. I do have to ask: where do they find these people? I mean , really, am I supposed to feel safer with this clown checking my ID who, if he were a passenger, would surely be patted down?? Okay, that was mean – must just be tired! After passing through security, it was off to the AC near gate 10. I was welcomed in, handed some drink coupons and shown to a shower suite. I have to say I much prefer the shower suites at this facility versus the ones at the T5 Galleries at LHR. There was plenty of space, several hooks to hang clothes and a bench where I could open up my suitcase and rearrange it. After a shower, it was off to make a few calls, recharge the laptop and iPod and grab a cocktail. The lounge was pretty active, with Air Berlin and Finnair pax awaiting their chariots along with the smattering of AA passengers.

Last edited by ORDPLATAA; Nov 22, 2011 at 6:52 pm Reason: add comments
Old Nov 23, 2011, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Part V - JFK-SEA in AA F

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2011
AA 269 JFK-SEA
Seat: 6B (Originally 14C-Exit Row and upgraded with 500 mile stickers
Scheduled: 1555-1925
Actual: 1935-2305

After hanging out for hours at the AC across from gate 10, I headed over to the AC over by Gate 42. My flight was to depart from Gate 39 so I spent an hour over at this club. The agent who checked my credentials took pity on me and handed me another drink ticket. After I enjoyed another glass of wine and checked email for the last time, I thought I should head over to gate 39 to see what was up. When I got to the gate, the door was open and they were getting ready to start boarding. I headed on down the jetway as soon as boarding was called and was probably the 2nd person onto the plane. I settled into seat 6B where, as on the outbound from Seattle, a full sized pillow and gray duvet were waiting. Coats were collected but, as the aircraft was having a super tight turn (roughly 20 minutes from arrival from Antigua to our boarding for Seattle), the FA’s were busy getting the galley prepped for departure so no PDB’s were offered. We were buttoned up quickly and all 16 seats in F were full.

We pushed back and made a quick taxi out to the runway and were off in no time at all. I had anticipated getting caught up in the evening wave of international departures but it did not seem to be an issue. Once the chime sounded, the FA’s were up and service started. Menus were passed out and menu selections were taken via FEBO. Tonight, our options would be as follows:

TO START
Warm Mixed Nuts

APPETIZER
Prosciutto garnished with Parmesan Cheese, served with cantaloupe puree

SALAD
A combination salad featuring fresh seasonal greens offered with sour cream and herb dressing or premium extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, accompanied by a mozzarella, cherry tomato and fresh basil salad

BREAD BASKET
Assorted gourmet breads

MAIN COURSES
Beef Filet with Foyot Sauce – Gilled beef served with a béarnaise-style sauce glace de viande and celery chive potato puree
-or-
Cheese Tortellini with Romano Sauce – Homemade tortellini stuffed with three cheeses, topped with tomato, mushroom and mozzarella sauce, Parmesan cheese and parsley

DESSERT
Ice Cream Sundae – Vanilla ice cream with a choice of hot fudge, butterscotch or seasonal berry toppings, whipped cram and pecans
-or-
Fruit and Cheese – A selection of seasonal fruit and fine cheeses

LIGHT REFRESHMENTS
Freshly baked on board cookies

PRE-ARRIVAL BEVERAGE
For Your Enjoyment – Chilled Sparkling or still water with a fresh citrus garnish

WINES & BEVERAGES
Sparkling Wine – Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Carneros Brut
White Wines – Thatcher Creek Chardonnay or Callia Alta Pinot Grigio
Red Wines - ONEHOPE Zinfandel or 181 Merlot

Beverages and warmed nuts were served using trays versus rolling the cart down the aisle. I went with the sparkling wine and it actually paired well with the nuts. I do think it is a tad odd when AA serves wine & champagne in highball glasses. I guess that it should just be thought of as “stemless” glassware!

Tablecloths were delivered (hadn’t seen those in ages on a domestic flight) and trays were delivered (the only use of the cart that evening). Trays were set up with the salad and prosciutto with the salads being dressed at your seat. Bread choices this evening were sourdough, wheat or cheese rolls. The salad was tasty – the mozzarella was soft and silky and the tomatoes were fresh. The prosciutto appetizer is always an odd one. The meat was okay (not the highest quality) but the puree is one of the nastiest things on the AA menu anywhere in the system. It’s grainy, gunky and just a loser. Would it be too much to as to just get three or 4 pieces of melon with the prosciutto wrapped around them?

Salad and appetizer plates were removed and entrees were delivered. The filet was tender, juicy and cooked a bit on the rare side of medium rare – just the way I like it. The celery/potato mash was creamy and there were green beans on the side. The crew did a great job topping off wine and water. After finishing dinner, it was sundae time! Yes, I am one of those freaks who just love a sundae on a plane. To me, it goes beyond novelty – I am an ice cream junkie and AA is my dealer! I went with a straightforward sundae – hot fudge, whipped cream and pecans. Along with the sundae I went with a Kahlua chaser. When I decided to go with another Kahlua after I finished the sundae, the FA came back to say they were out. I didn’t notice that many folks drinking Kahlua in the cabin and think it a bit odd that there was only one mini loaded on the flight. I decided just to go with a Bailey’s and settle in. As the FA went up to get the drink, I reached into my backpack to grab a treat for the crew. I had purchased a small box of truffles from Sprugli in Zurich to share if the crew was a good one. And the two FA’s in First were just awesome. They were thrilled and quite appreciative for the gesture. We chatted for a bit (as I sipped on a double Bailey’s) and compared notes on this trip and one’s favorite spots in Zurich. I retired to my seat, took out the duvet and pillow and quickly fell asleep for 2.5 hours. I woke up with just about an hour left in the flight. I passed on the cookie (I don’t think I could possibly have eaten another bite) and gulped down the bottle of water that was handed out earlier in the flight.

We landed close to 2300 and taxied to gate A9. On the descent into Seattle, my seatmate in 6A sneezed, hacked, coughed and blew his nose the entire way. All I could think was that this guy was Patient Zero from the movie “Contagion”! I said my goodbyes to the FA’s and wished them a Happy Thanksgiving. A quick walk through the airport and it was outside just as my partner and puppy drove up to get me. All in all, a successful run!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Comparisons & Conclusions

So, after the fog and haze of the jetlag has passed, here are some final thoughts:

1. AA's new 737-800's are much nicer than the earlier version. I like the drop-down vidoe monitors and the loptop slots built into the seats on the new ones.

2. The transfer from Terminal 8 to Terminal 7 at JFK isn't all that bad. If you are able to use the Premium check-in areas, it isn't that bad.

3. the BA Galleries/Terraces lounge on T7 is pretty fair at best and certainly needs a sprucing up. Again, what is it with crustless little sandwiches in every BA lounge?

4. WT+ may actually be worth the $250. The cabin seemed spacious, the seats were wider and, if you get CW catering, why not?

5. T5 Galleries North is a great place to relax. The showers are tiny, however, so you really haveto plan out your stuff when you get in there.

6. I found AA Y to be more comfortable that BA WT. I just felt that WT was very cramped (if the person sitting in the row ahead of me had reclined in his seat I probably done dental work on him!).

7. I really liked the the headrests in WT - the wings that fold down to your shoulders is really comfortable.

8. If you can't go in J, the "hobo upgrade" is a fine way to travel in AA Y.

9. BA WT catering beats AA Y catering on the main meal, and it's a toss-up for the second service with "maybe" a slight edge to AA.

10. Loved the duvet and full size pillow in F on the AA transcon flight.

11. JFK based crew can be hit, miss, or totally indifferent. I think I saw all three this trip.

12. LOVE the walnut pies served in the Dnata lounge in Zurich. Yes, they are pre-packaged junk food but of-so-good!

13. The JFK AC near Gate 10 is better than the one near Gate 42. Better service, nicer atmosphere and great view.

Until the next run, ciao!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.