Vancouver via CGK, SIN, CAN, HKG and SFO: On GA Y, SQ J, CX F and AC J

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:19 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Vancouver via CGK, SIN, CAN, HKG and SFO: On GA Y, SQ J, CX F and AC J

Introduction to the trip

I was due to arrive at Vancouver before my graduate studies start in late August, and it meant more transpacific flying again, and what better airline to cross the Pacific than on Cathay in their 747s? Furthermore, I had enough points to redeem a First Class flight with them so I started with the AsiaMiles flight redemption booking and got myself a one way ticket from HKG to SFO on seat 1A in the 747. This will be the first time for me sitting in International First and what better way to do it than onboard Cathay's 747, with the seat in the front of the nose to top it off!

Cathay 747 Jumbo Jet

Now that the longest route of them all has been settled, I had to get tickets that will bring me from TKG (Bandar Lampung Raden Inten II Airport, where I stay) to HKG, and flights from SFO to YVR. As much as I like how Garuda has improved in Indonesia, their widebody fleet is still lacking and even having asked my Dad to buy its shares on its listing early this year (their share has underperformed...) I have not really considered them for my overseas travel since their prices are close Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific. That's when another idea struck me: having had some miserly Krisflyer points from regional routes, I topped up my account with credit card points, and voila I have enough for a one way ticket from Jakarta to Hong Kong in Business Class. An SIA flight in Business - now that's another thing to look forward to. But sadly, direct flights between Singapore and Hong Kong are lacking in redemption slots, so what's the next best idea? I found a variety of flights from Singapore to Guangzhou.

If my Geography serves me right, Guangzhou and Hong Kong seems near enough, and this would be an excuse to visit Guangzhou as well. It was then time to settle the overland crossing from Guangzhou to Hong Kong. The most direct choice would be the KCR train that will bring me directly to Hong Kong from Guangzhou, but it isn't a high-speed rail. I initially considered taking the high-speed rail between Guangzhou and Shenzhen but scrapped the plan due to the heavy luggage (with books) that I was carrying en-route to YVR.

After drafting the general route in mind, I went on to book my SIA flights with miles, I was able to find certain dates that allowed me a 2 nights stopover in Singapore! And with this stopover will coincide during the National Day Holidays, allowing me time to enjoy the festivities and food in the island city as well as connect with friends I made in school while studying there. It turns out I had to add more miles to redeem this stopover, which wasn't mentioned when I booked this ticket, but only a few days before departure. This totally gave me a bad impression on Singapore Airlines in terms of customer service, since they refused to acknowledge the fault in their online redemption/booking/check-in feature on their new website and tries to shift the blame to the passenger.

The final step was to settle the last flight to Canada from San Francisco and having seen the gleaming new Embraers of Air Canada in SFO early this year, I settled on Air Canada. Since Air Canada had a sale on their Executive class tickets and considering the luggage I would be bringing plus the perks of Air Canada's executive class such as lounge access, snacks and refreshments onboard and the bonus miles, I got a front cabin seat on the Embraers for the 2 hour flight to Canada.

For lodging, I chose to stay at SPG properties in the cities that I will be transiting and will include a stay in one of my favourite hotels in Asia - the St Regis in Singapore.

Thus my flight itinerary will be:
GA103 TKG-CGK
SQ957 CGK-SIN
SQ850 SIN-CAN
CX870 HKG-SFO
AC565 SFO-YVR

I have thus far completed the reports on the 1st 2 segments of this itinerary and would add on to the rest in a week or 2. I will also include a list of my previous trip reports so readers could get a prelude of what to expect

Circle Pacific on oneworld: CGK-HKG-YVR-JFK-LAX-MEL-SYD-CGK
Springtime travel YVR-LAX and LAS-YVR, with the latter on a widebody
CX712 Singapore to Bangkok in Business
Garuda Indonesia between Jakarta and Bali, and a 737-800 suprise
Garuda Indonesia Executive Class - Jakarta to Makassar
Dragonair (KA) from HKG to PVG in J
Regional CX Economy from Jakarta to Hong Kong

Last edited by quirrow; Aug 28, 2011 at 11:30 am
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:44 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Short hop to Jakarta on Garuda Indonesia

Everytime I make a long journey, it starts inevitably in a small little airport in the southern end of Sumatra. It is in Bandar Lampung's Raden Inten II that I start my journey to return to Vancouver.

GA103 TKG-CGK
7 Aug 11
1105-1155
1107-1150
Boeing 737-800 PK-GEF
Seat 9A

Ceiling motif at Raden Inten II Airport

Checking in for the flight was uneventful and because I have a relative who would be taking the same flight in Executive Class, I was able to check in with him and not pay extra fees for my heavy luggage. Not only that, I also manage to get the priority tags for my bags! After check-in, I chose to spend time outside the small terminal to bid farewells to my parents who are sending me off. Boarding started on time at 10:40 and I chose to head out to the plane early. There are no priority boarding and it is always a rush for the boarding gate in this small airport. However, I do enjoy the walk to the plane like all small airports around the world and was pleased to notice that it will be a 737-800 servicing this route today. The plane, however, still has the old Garuda livery and seems to be one of the oldest 737-800 operated by Garuda.

Garuda's old 737-800 cabin

Once onboard, I was disappointed with the old seats, though for the short flight and the excitement of a new journey, I was still satisfied. Being one of the earliest to board, I had no trouble finding my seat and placing my hand-carry bags on the overhead compartment. Once most of the passengers were seated the flight crew came around with candies, and this small feature remains a distinctive service of Indonesian airlines, harking back to the good old days when Garuda operates a variety of routes around the world. I am truly glad that they are back on the right track!

Scene of Bandar Lampung on take-off

By 11:05, we were already starting out taxi towards the runway as the flight attendants gave the safety demonstration. Being in a small airport meant there was no wait and the plane took off shortly at 11:07. The clear weather in south Sumatra means a smooth take off to cruising altitude and a nice view of the hilly regions of Southern Sumatra.

Snack box and inflight magazine

Today's economy class cabin is about 60% full and there are also good occupancy in the Executive Class cabin, and there was no problem with the flight attendant serving the flight. Not long after take off, a small snack box was served to passengers. With the flight being during the Ramadhan or Muslim fasting season, Garuda provides a special snack box unlike the usual one which had the usual Kit Kat chocolate bar, fruit tea and a small bun. The Ramadhan snack box has a small chocolate box, nata de coco dessert, mineral water and the small bun. It seems to be a nicer package for this small flight! the small little touches in the flight also made it memorable. In addition, the inflight magazine for the month had an excellent feature on skiing in Melbourne. This is definitely a nice feature considering the heat in tropical Indonesia.

Contents of the snack box

Passing by tropical islands

During our descent, I noticed how bad the air quality around Jakarta was, looking at the smog covering the area that went as far west of the city to the town of Serang. At this time, one of the child travelling today went on to give a wailing cry, breaking the relative calm of the cabin. Thankfully it did not last that long, and we were soon landing safely at Soekarno-Hatta by 11:50, 5 minutes earlier behind schedule.

Descending into the smog

As usual with this flight, we were parked on a remote stand between Terminal 2 and the 'budget' Terminal 3 in Soekarno-Hatta and took the airport bus to the terminal. This journey was still memorable though as I got to see for the first time the retro-livery gracing one of Garuda's 737-800.

Landing at Soekarno-Hatta

Usually flights between Bandar Lampung and Jakarta departs on time and arrives punctually. Even for the occassional delay, the flights usually can arrive around the scheduled time due to the very short distance between these 2 city pairs. With the priority Executive Class tags on my bags, I was able to claim them from a designated counter rather than on the conveyor belt and I was thus out very fast from the terminal shortly after that.

Airport Bus to the Terminal

While this flight was nothing special for me, having taken it countless times, it was my first time on the old 737-800 cabin since I thought Garuda has all their 737-800s outfitted with their excellent new cabin. It was also unique to experience this flight during the Ramadhan period which has a special catering for passengers!
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: Too many
Waiting for more!

Glad you enjoy Garuda, seems they are gaining more fans, but I still wouldn't fly them!
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:00 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Transit at Jakarta and Le Meridien Jakarta

With the need to stay overnight in Jakarta most of the time during my travels, I have usually kept my stays in the Le Meridien in Jakarta or Grand Hyatt in Jakarta. However as prices in the Grand Hyatt can sometimes be more than twice as much as that of the Le Meridien, the latter gets the nod for a paid stay. I have stayed at this property several times before, and for the past decade or so, the hotel hasn't received much renovation and the lobby shows how much it is in need of renovation. Having said that, the architecture of the hotel and the design cues of the lobby showcases some distinctive traditional features of a Javanese residences. Artworks showcasing Javanese legends and history stand side by side along with the avant-garde corporate trademark that signifies the Le Meridien brand, creating a personality disorder of sorts.

Deluxe King Bedroom

The hotel itself is situated in a prime area, though nowhere occupying the enviable location of the Grand Hyatt right on top of the Bunderan HI. Instead it is located opposite the World Trade Center, along Jalan Jendral Sudirman, the main street which houses the various Indonesian representative offices for many corporate multinationals. With no shopping malls underneath the hotel, it means guests have to either take a cab out to the nearby malls or satisfy their meal requirements in the hotel's restaurants. There are no shortage of restaurants in the hotel with a Lebanese (Al Nafoura), Japanese restaurant and another cafe-restaurant that also serves as the breakfast location. The Lebanese restaurant particularly serves excellent food that is unique in the city itself.

Overview of Room at Le Meridien

As a SPG gold member, I was able to get a voucher for a complimentary 15 minute relaxation back massage at the hotel's spa, and all guests checking in are provided with a refreshing cup of fruit tea along with hot towels. This is a nice touch to freshen guests up, but I guess they need it given the state of the lobby. It has to be stated though that I have yet to receive a room upgrade before even after being their loyal customer. Again I compare this to the Grand Hyatt where I have been upgraded several times and provided with club access even as Hyatt Platinum (which is equal to SPG Gold). However with rates that includes breakfast, it was value for money, though guests shouldn't expect 5-star rooms.

Rooms are quite spacious, and the twin rooms are usually larger in size in the newer wing which is accessed from elevators further from the main lobby. This time round, I was provided with a room facing the Sudirman main street which can get pretty noisy in the afternoon, and since SPG floors are located in the 5th floor, the noise can be pretty noticeable. Thus it is better to get rooms facing the pool for a quieter stay, or request for rooms in the newer wing facing the Sahid Hotel. The view in the new wing can be a turn off, though as it also faces a derelict construction site which is a grim reminder of the Asian financial crisis in 1998. The rooms in the Le Meridien Jakarta uses the same Javanese decor like its lobby, giving it an old and traditional feel, and their rooms are not plain rectangular configurations. Instead it has slanted angles, but the rooms are fairly well designed in that it is comfortable watching the TV from the bed, and makes the bathroom very airy.

Bathroom at the Le Meridien King Room

The bathroom in the hotel utilizes white marble which was a frequent material used for construction in the mid 1980s. and most of their bathroom have a separate shower and bathtub and while the bathroom looks old, they are functional. The room I was assigned to has a work desk, sofa by the TV console and a small coffee table. The work desk also has a travel converter plug by the side which makes it easy for travelers to connect their laptop or charging adaptors.

Lobby of Le Meridien Jakarta

Internet in the room is complimentary which is a plus compared to the Grand Hyatt which only provides complimentary internet to their Platinum members and above. There was also a welcome amenity of fruits in the room for SPG members, as well as complimentary bottled water in both the bedroom and bathroom. Should guests need more bottled water, they just need to request it from the room service which was usually the case in most Indonesian hotels. Other amenities included in the room are slippers, a vanity kit, mouthwash and the usual bathroom neccesities.

Swimming Pool at Night

Breakfast in the hotel was alright, and offers a decent selection. Waitresses will usually come around offering their daily smoothies concoction which was great and on top of the usual egg station, there was also a noodle station (common to Indonesian hotels), Japanese and Chinese congee section and a variety of hot plates like fried noodles and rice. The latter are a staple of Indonesian breakfast which is also to be found in hotel breakfasts around Indonesia. My one night stay in this property was usual and except for the free 15 minute massage (which was excellent), it did not make me want to stay here if not for the attractive room rates which can be had for as low as US$90 after taxes. Otherwise, the hotel has a lot in its hands to renovate the dark lobby and restaurants. For SPG members, this hotel is pretty value for money for paying guests, though many better properties can be had if prices go above in excess of US$150.

Al Nafoura Restaurant at the Le Meridien
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:08 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The Lounges at Jakarta Soekarno-Hatta

SIA Check-in Counters at CGK

I arrived at Cengkareng, the name that Soekarno-Hatta Airport is also known, as the sister flight 9V-SYC just proceeded for pullback and make its way to Singapore. Which means I am really early for my flight, but given how bad traffic can be in Jakarta, it is better to be safe than sorry. After all, with the expansion of air traffic, it can be chaotic on the departure concourse. Check in was fast as there were no one on the business line, and the economy line was also sparsely populated. I had no trouble checking in my one large big bag which I enquired whether it was possible to tag all the way to Guangzhou. Apparently it was possible, since there was less than 48 hours to go before my next flight to Guangzhou. However there was something going on with their system and I was advised to do the check in when I reach Changi. Having said that, the agent passed me my lounge invite and boarding pass.

Duty free shops at CGK

I proceeded to go through immigration, and it was a short queue as well not like the madness I encountered a few weeks back. This might just be a lull week in Jakarta for traveling. Most of the lounges in Jakarta are located in the D end of the concourse which meant a backtrack from the immigration which is located at the E sector. It is worth noting that the SIA check in is located at the D end and beside it now lies a JAS Priority Check in counter which should have a separate premium immigration. It is just too bad SIA doesn't utilize their facility. Beyond security there isn't much to shop in Jakarta's international airport and the duty free shops were still closed at this time of the day. For plane spotting opportunities, the best location has got to be the Starbucks cafe from where one usually can get a view of either Etihad's 777 or Garuda's A330.

Pura Indah Lounge

Entrance to Esplanade Lounge

With my HSBC card, I was able to first pay a visit to the Pura Indah lounge. I was one of only 2 passenger in the lounge, but there was a lack of food choices which meant I stored my luggage in their locker - a nice feature of Indonesian airport lounges - before proceeding next door to the Esplanade lounge. While both lounges have window views of the Tarmac, they are covered with blinds, which meant covered views. The blinds are meant to keep the heat more than anything though I presume. While the Esplanade lounge is smaller, it has a better food choice since it is used primarily by SIA. I was able to get fried fish fillet with sweet and sour chilli sauce, and beef stroganoff. But having had a nice breakfast, it was more of a sampler than anything. The Esplanade lounge serves a mean cup of coffee though with coffee supplied by JJ Royal as seen by the brand on the cups and saucers. They are definitely more potent and robust than the normal airline coffee, or even the average Starbucks.

Inside the Esplanade Lounge

Fruits and snacks bar

Drinks bar

Using the lounge Internet I was able to Skype with my parents for a while to let them know I would be boarding soon and the journey has been smooth thus far. After the Skype conversation, I noticed some smoke from behind the SQ jet which had parked in front of the lounge. I enquired with the lounge attendant, but he seemed ignorant about it and gave me some weird reply of it being a signal for departing aircrafts. I never knew airports used such primeval methods... Well I don't see anything regarding a plane crash from the CNN showing on the TV, so I didn't bother much about it.

Smoke from the tarmac in CGK
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:21 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

SQ957 CGK-SIN on Business Class

SQ957 CGK-SIN
8 Aug 11
1140-1415
1150-1421
Boeing 777-300 9V-SYD
Seat 15K

Right according to the time stated on the boarding pass, boarding was called, but knowing how early SIA announces its boarding, I didn't bother to move until past 11:15. It was a short walk to another security checkpoint before the walkway to the individual holding gate. I always wondered why Jakarta is one of those airports that screens your luggage twice, once before check in and another after immigration. I just find it a waste of time and creates a lot of inconvenience for travelers.

Boarding gate for SIA

Seeing that the plane serving the route was 9V-SYD disappointed me somewhat since I had been on this plane several times before. It seems that this jet serves this particular timing on the same route since I took the same jet just a few weeks back. Having passed through the business cabin a couple of times previously, it was nice to be able to use the first jet bridge into the First Class cabin and stop at the Business Class cabin. And yes, the plane does have a First Class cabin, which is unique for such a short regional route.

Blue camo seats in SQ business

Unlike my previous flight on this exact aircraft which was on full occupancy, passenger count was low on today's flight and business class is probably only filled to 45% of capacity. This meant a nice empty cabin to stretch out in on the short journey. I was also able to have an empty aisle seat beside me and upon being seated, the female flight attendant came and offered drinks, then newspapers were offered. Not long afterwards, another crew member came and offered hot towels. Then next came the headsets. I wondered why they couldn't just pass everything at the same time, since I guess that would make passengers feel more relaxed and put at ease once onboard, rather than being disturbed again and again.

Financial Times and orange juice

Krisworld headset

There was some time before the plane was filled up but because occupancy today was quite light, there wasn't a mad rush or any chaotic boarding on the flight. In fact the boarding was calm and relaxed. I got back to relax in the seat and noticed how much more spacious the 777 operating this route was compared to the similar short-haul business class on Cathay's 777 that was serving the SIN-BKK-HKG route. Both planes were on a 2-3-2 business class seating arrangement and had similar seats that had generous recline. In either way, both seats were much more comfortable than domestic First Class in North America. In fact the seats in SQ's regional short haul business class were more similar to Dragonair's Business Class seats in terms of colour and size.

SQ regional short-haul business class

With the fast boarding, we were able to pullback on time and the plane started to make its way to the runway which is at the other end of the terminal. The light load for the flight made for a very rapid take off and the plane was tilted at a very steep angle which made it slightly uncomfortable. I guess the pilot must be in a real rush that day to take off towards Singapore. But truth be told, this isn't one of my most comfortable take-off experience, and a far cry from the take-off on the A380 last year. The irony was that I was onboard Economy at that time.

Take off from Jakarta

The thick layer of smog also meant it was difficult to spot Soekarno-Hatta airport as the plane made a round towards its northerly route. The following photo was the best I could make out of the airport. While I got to admire the clouds we passed along the way, the crew got busy to preparing the meals in the galley.

Soekarno-Hatta from the air

The menu for the day was:

Lunch Menu | Jakarta to Singapore

Main

Opor ayam - Malay style spicy chicken with seasonal vegetables and tomato flavoured rice

Seared tournedos of beef with thyme jus, roasted seasonal vegetables and potatoes

Phad Thai with scallops and prawns - Flat noodles fried with fish sauce, scallops and prawns

Finale

Guava jelly with fruits

Gourmet coffees & selection of fine teas

I chose the Phad Thai for the main course and there was a bread basket where I could choose a variety from. Like Cathay Pacific, I was able to choose a slice of garlic bread, and it was a tasty choice. The Phad Thai, though was a bit too dry and had too much flavour in it. Comparing the meal service in the Cathay Pacific's SIN-BKK route which is about the same length, the meal service by SIA is a bit underwhelming and even the menu was on a piece of paper with no mention of the drinks available. The generous serving of scallops and prawns on the main course was very well appreciated though, so while it was nothing special, the meal was adequate. Having had coffee in the lounge earlier, I declined the after lunch drinks and opted instead for more water. I headed to the back of the Business Class cabin to take some magazines and grabbed a copy of Conde Nast Traveler and Top Gear to while the time until our landing in Singapore.

Phad Thai for lunch

Selection of magazines

I just had enough time to browse through both magazines before our descent into Singapore, as we passed by the shoreline of southern Johor. I was able to spot the new suspension bridge that was completed across Sungai Johor and the new energy infrastructure being built at the mouth of Sungai Johor. Eventually we entered Singapore airspace, passing by Pulau Ubin and its reservoir before landing into Changi on an overcast day at 14:21, slightly behind schedule as we made a detour over Johor.

Suspension Bridge across Sungai Johor

Landing at the Western runway meant we had a long taxi as the airplane was due to be docked in Terminal 2, though this also meant we would pass by the overhead bridge for airplanes across the East Coast Parkway that leads to Changi Airport. Upon disembarking from the plane, I made my way to the empty immigration hall and was out collecting my bags in no time at all.

Landing at Changi

I took the time to enquire for check in for my flight 2 days later for Guangzhou and the agent in Terminal 2 directed me towards Terminal 3 as SIA's flights to North and East Asia departs from Terminal 3. This meant I need to push my luggage on the carts towards the Skytrain to bring me to the newest avantgarde terminal 3 where I was able to check in for my flight which departs in less than 48 hours. The ability to deposit my luggage was a huge plus since it allowed me to travel light into the city. I took some time to explore Terminal 3 with my new camera first and it was also just nice that they had a exhibition showcasing the 100 years of aviation in Singapore at the end of Terminal 3. After some exploring, I decided on taking a taxi into the city centre since I do not want to spend too much time travelling around, and with no queues for the taxi, I got onboard a Mercedes E-Class limo which had the same fares as the Hyundai taxis, so it was a good choice which will bring me to the St. Regis in comfort and luxury!

Taking a ride in an E-Class taxi

More photos on my flickr site.

Last edited by quirrow; Sep 18, 2011 at 2:07 am
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:24 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jinxy
Waiting for more!

Glad you enjoy Garuda, seems they are gaining more fans, but I still wouldn't fly them!
I still hesitate for international flights, but domestically, they are the best choice. I long for the time when they used to operate some really nice flights overseas, and I do hope they will expand their widebody fleet.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by quirrow
I still hesitate for international flights, but domestically, they are the best choice. I long for the time when they used to operate some really nice flights overseas, and I do hope they will expand their widebody fleet.
Just got back from Indonesia. Flown with GA AMS-DXB-CGK and found them to be EXCELLENT. Really. Crew, food, seats, IFE... all better than MH and certainly 4 star. Can't wait for the 77W's and Skyteam membership.
Reason for CGK having 2 security checks is probably connections. If you're connecting from let's say DPS (own experience) you aren't bothered with the pre-check in security thus have to have one at the gate.
I also stayed at Le Meridien Jakarta and found it also great. Breakfast was really the most extensive I've ever had.

I'm thinking of doing a TR on the trip if I find the time for 5 flights and 20 days of hotels and tours!

Thanks for the TR so far. ^
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:57 am

great so far! looking forward to the rest of yr trip.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 2:22 pm

I just looked through some of your Flickr albums and I have to say your photos are brilliant! May I ask what camera + lens you use?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:58 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

St Regis Singapore

Red carpet check-in

My last stay in the St Regis Singapore made it one of my favourite hotels not just in Singapore but possibly in the world. I like the simplicity of the hotel, in that it isn't too large nor too small, and the seclusion of the location yet still accessible to Orchard Road was just perfect. Add to that the butler service who makes excellent coffee beverages and the hotel is perfect for an extended stay in the city. And that was the reason I chose to stay at this property once again when I visited the city alone over the National Day holidays. Check-in was a bit of a wait due to only 3 check-in desks, and the staff in the main lobby from the concierge to the receptionist were very stiff, though the doormen and the check-in agent were excellent. Just the same as what I remembered a year ago when I last visited. I was provided a non-smoking King room as indicated on my reservations and with breakfast included. There was no mention by the check-in agent on where it is to be served, but having been here before, I knew. I also requested for in-room breakfast on the day I check-out since I would leave the hotel too early for the restaurant to be open for me. The receptionist was able to oblige to my request since the restaurant only starts breakfast at 6:30am in the morning.

Entrance foyer to the room

King bedroom at St Regis Singapore

The room was excellent as expected from my last stay, and would have considered as a suite in many lesser properties. Guests are greeted by a nice entrance foyer with a bar table and the fridge located along the entryway. The preferred rooms in the St Regis would be one facing the swimming pool and the surrounding residential blocks which are quieter, since the one facing the main street has little of a view anyway. An elegant workspace graces the right side of the wall upon entry with a large Sharp LCD TV mounted on the wall. The room is equipped with a Bose surround sound and a DVD player which offers probably the best sound system of any hotel room I've been to. White washed wood panels enhance the elegant feel of the property, and the double sliding doors leading into the bathroom shows the expanse of this room. Like the Lady Astor Room I was assigned last time, the bathroom has a bathtub (though this time situated in the centre) with 2 standalone washbasins. There was also a separate shower cubicle and toilet and an LCD TV facing the bathtub. The only thing lacking was a sit-down dressing table but it gains a walk-in closet that is connected to the bathroom. So overall, I actually prefer the layout of the King Room compared to that of the Lady Astor Room. There was also a 2-seater sofa and a coffee table in front of the bed and another daybed by the window ledge to take in the wide views offered from the 2 bay windows.

Luxurious marble bathroom

Bathroom amenity

Features in the room are all electronically operated including both the night and day curtains. And in tropical Singapore, the sunny weather can make the room quite hot if you leave the day curtain open. Overall the room in the St Regis is perhaps the most impeccably furnished amongst all the hotels in town. Amenities in the room includes a bath amenities by Laboratoire Remede which has a strong minty scent, and not my favourite scent, but their bath gels are really good having come with beads that acts as body scrubs. Other amenities like the toothbrush, cotton buds are placed in really nice plastic with the St Regis logo sticker which gave it a nice luxurious feel. One issue I had with the room was the bathtub which already has shown wear and tear in the shower heads. This meant every time I fill the bathtub, water from the faucet will also leak out, making the surrounding area wet.

The Fitness Centre

Swimming Pool at Night

Facilities in the hotel includes a Chinese restaurant called Yan Ting, which offers decent Cantonese cuisine, and offers a wonderful champagne Dim Sum brunch on the weekends. There is also an Italian poolside restaurant and the International cuisine restaurant on the ground floor serving as a breakfast area. There is a wonderful breakfast atmosphere in the lobby restaurant which offers a widespread variety of food including Asian delicacies like dumplings, pork buns, roti prata and curries. Breakfast was great but not the best I have had, though the ambience would mean it is one of the nicest places to have breakfast in a hotel. The hotel also a swimming pool with nice sun loungers as well as a well-equipped fitness centre and a spa operated by Laboratoire Remede. One other thing I like about the hotel was how it is filled with some of the most exquisite chandeliers and some distinctive artworks by local artists. During the stay, there was a candy sculpture with the Singapore flag to commemorate the national day holiday.

Sculpture outside St Regis

Entrance lobby chandelier

While the hotel is equipped with wifi, there was no complimentary internet during my stay, though I was able to use the iMacs and Windows PC in the Business Centre to access the internet. They were, however able to remember my preference of both the local Straits Times and the International Herald Tribune for my newspaper deliveries in the morning.

Fruit platter and magazines

I was provided with a bowl filled with fruits as an SPG member similar to my previous stay, and on the small coffee table are also several magazines catered to luxury lifestyles and business, so it was a nice touch. The hotel's location also makes it great for a morning jog especially with the Botanic Gardens in the city located nearby and I think the hotel should really provide something like a jogging route for the area. This was provided during my stay at the Sofitel in Melbourne and Shangri-la in Sydney and both had wonderful jogging routes. I had a morning jog in the Botanic Gardens and it was as pleasant an experience!

Living area at St Regis Singapore

Like my previous stay, I decided to indulge in a cup of hot chocolate on the first night of my stay, and this was brought over to my room graciously. However on the second morning, when I requested for a cup of Mocha, the butler bringing in the coffee mentioned to me to check if the service is available first before ordering as they no longer offer delivery of coffee. He added that for this stay they would provide this service but no longer in the future. This was a sign of cost cutting, the way I see it, and the hotel also no longer offers the bar of excellent chocolates on turndown, substituting it instead with some horrible pralines. Mineral water in the room are now generic bottled waters instead of San Benedetto as was provided on my last stay. I am not a snob with mineral water as I think they essentially quench thirst, but it is a benefit that the hotel have reduced to guests, so I do consider that a negative in the hotel stay. After all, for a hotel of this calibre, I do think mineral water are necessary. I don't see generic distilled water served on business class in airlines right?

Continental breakfast for in-room dining

On the day of my departure, I was only limited to the continental breakfast for the in-room dining and was able to request for a 5:30 am delivery of the breakfast which consisted of croissant, raisin bread and danish pastries served with one juice and a jug of hot coffee. This was adequate, since I would still be able to get some more food from the Silverkris Lounge later on if I needed more nourishment. After packing and checking out, I discovered I was charged for breakfast in the room, and I needed to mention the issue to the agent who was able to waive off the charges for me. I still don't enjoy being charged for something when I was promised it to be waived and this counts as a waste of time and a failure in the staff management which to me mars the overall experience a bit. While the hotel is still wonderful, the cost cutting might be detrimental to the property in the long run. Especially in Singapore where there are competition, the St Regis should reconsider its level of amenities and service.

More photos on this flickr set.

Last edited by quirrow; Sep 18, 2011 at 2:08 am
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:04 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Just got back from Indonesia. Flown with GA AMS-DXB-CGK and found them to be EXCELLENT. Really. Crew, food, seats, IFE... all better than MH and certainly 4 star. Can't wait for the 77W's and Skyteam membership.
Reason for CGK having 2 security checks is probably connections. If you're connecting from let's say DPS (own experience) you aren't bothered with the pre-check in security thus have to have one at the gate.
I also stayed at Le Meridien Jakarta and found it also great. Breakfast was really the most extensive I've ever had.

I'm thinking of doing a TR on the trip if I find the time for 5 flights and 20 days of hotels and tours!

Thanks for the TR so far. ^
I like the way how Hong Kong does it for connections, in that it directs the arrival passengers into transit points and security checks from there. IMO, it works better than how SIN or CGK does it...

On a side note, I do hope you could post a review of it, would love to read it, since I had some really excellent flights on GA too between CGK and DPS!

Originally Posted by hqly2001
great so far! looking forward to the rest of yr trip.
I am in the progress of adding the rest pretty soon before my workload gets heavier since I have just started on my graduate studies...

Originally Posted by furryraccoon
I just looked through some of your Flickr albums and I have to say your photos are brilliant! May I ask what camera + lens you use?
Thanks for enjoying the photos I have taken so far, I used a Nikon D90 with a 16-85mm lens previously, but have upgraded to a Canon 5DmkII recently with a 16-35mm lens.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:27 am

Programs: BA, BMI
Originally Posted by quirrow
I like the way how Hong Kong does it for connections, in that it directs the arrival passengers into transit points and security checks from there. IMO, it works better than how SIN or CGK does it...

On a side note, I do hope you could post a review of it, would love to read it, since I had some really excellent flights on GA too between CGK and DPS!

I am in the progress of adding the rest pretty soon before my workload gets heavier since I have just started on my graduate studies...

Thanks for enjoying the photos I have taken so far, I used a Nikon D90 with a 16-85mm lens previously, but have upgraded to a Canon 5DmkII recently with a 16-35mm lens.
+1. Incredible photos.!
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Great photos! I can't wait to read the rest of your report.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 1:48 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

SQ850 SIN-CAN on Business Class

SQ850 SIN-CAN
10 Aug 11
0820-1220
0841-1227
Airbus A330-300 9V-STA
Seat 14K moved to 11K

SQ business class check-in at Terminal 3

Doing something for the very first time is indeed a very gratifying feeling. While it is not my first time on SQ's business class, this flight will allow me to experience SQ's new regional business class seats as well as my first visit to a new city in China. To top it off the flight departs in Changi's magnificent Terminal 3, and that was where I was dropped off by the taxi driver. I had another small bag to be checked in for my flight to Guangzhou that day and stopped by the Business Class check-in counter once again. It was a simple and fast process, since there wasn't any queues and there was available counters to serve me. Having obtained my boarding pass the previous day, I proceeded past security towards immigration.

View over Changi Terminal 3

There is no wonder why Changi International Airport gets its awards since immigration is also a breeze that morning which seems like a peak time for travel. Once through immigration, I enquired for the Silverkris Lounge and was directed to the escalator opposite the Hermes boutique, but I chose to take the earlier escalator situated closer to the immigration desks. This allowed me to walk past the Star Alliance Gold Lounge first, but I decided to go forward towards the Silverkris Lounge.

Entrance to the Silverkris lounge

Like all homeground lounges, the Silverkris Lounge was a huge lounge. Dark wood and brown marble covers up most of the lounge so walking into it on a morning makes it feel like entering a cosy club lounge, and the way it faces the terminal without views out towards the tarmac makes it seem enclosed. Fortunately the wide expanse and spread out seating areas make it seem like a gentleman's club. So it was still a comfortable place to sit down, have a drink and munch on some food.

Silverkris lounge at Terminal 3

Speaking of the food, the Silverkris Lounge has an excellent variety, and since it was in the morning, they had a selection of western breakfast buffet that would make some hotel's breakfast buffets seem underwhelming. They even have carrot cake fried in the Singapore style and some dim sum for those seeking local dishes. Beverage selections were also aplenty from individually bottled mineral waters to TWG tea bags. I did ask for ice cream in the lounge but they didn't have it, so I returned to my seat with some carrot cake, french toast and a bottle of apple juice. The good part about this lounge was how it felt like a hotel club lounge and had the space for passengers. Even with the numerous departures in the day, there was plenty of seating spaces available, even those prime seats with a view over the terminal. After my small snack, I browsed through the magazines rack and noticed at the large variety of magazines covering topics to lifestyle to business and one of the best selections of newspapers on a lounge. The magazine selection is more skewed to luxury though and doesn't offer more diverse topics like other airline lounges.

French toast and Singapore style carrot cake

Taking some newspapers along with me, I head to a quieter alcove at the end of the lounge so that I can start a Skype conversation with my iPad. I had about a 20 minute chat with my family on the iPad before finishing my bottled water and head out of the lounge to head for boarding. It turns out I left the lounge quite late for boarding; and by the time I arrived at the gate where the A380s usually depart for London leaves, I was the only remaining passenger that have yet to board. There was only one other person behind me passing through security, though the other passenger was just waiting for his flight departing in the other gates. My flight that day departs from those multiple holding gates in Terminal 3 which usually gets busy late at night.

Legroom on the bulkhead business class seats

At the security, one of the gate agent proceeded to help me and requested for my passport and boarding pass, hoping to expedite the passenger check, and after collecting my luggage and placing my iPad and Macbook Air back on my hand carry bags, I went to collect my passport and boarding pass stub from the agent by the gate. I just hurried into the plane without taking any further photos, and once I was onboard, the same welcome was presented to me and I was directed to my seat. However I noticed the narrow aisle and my luggage seems stuck. My actual seat assigned was to be on 14K, a window seat on the 3rd row (since there is no 13K) but as there was another passenger seated on 15H on the aisle side, and with a light load on Business Class today, the stewardess mentioned I was free to sit at any empty seat. I chose instead to sit at the bulkhead on 11K.

First row business class seats on SQ's Airbus A330

The empty first row cabin also allowed me to take some nice photos of the new regional Business Class cabin which I was very impressed of. For a flight of around 4 hours, this particular cabin with its airy beige leather seats were very comfortable. I particularly liked the soft seats and pillow cover which is probably one of the best regional Business Class seats around. I would even think this particular product might have been equal to some lesser airline's First Class. The 'ears' covering the sides of the seats acts as a privacy screen and also as the placement for the LED reading lights which was a neat design. Even being the last one to board the aircraft, I was still offered a welcome drink from which I picked the orange juice. I was then provided with hot towels, headsets and the menu for the flight. Apparently upon boarding, one of the passenger in Economy had just left a package in the airport, and he rushed out to retrieve his package, giving me some time to relax after rushing through the security and the gate to board the aircraft.

Welcome drink and menu in business class

With the empty seat beside me, I was able to put my newspapers and iPad at the side along my extra blanket. It sure is nice to have a relatively empty cabin for this short regional flight. The only drawback of taking the bulkhead seat is perhaps the proximity to the galley which can be noisy and I could really hear the crew member discussing my change of seat very clearly. Legroom though seems to be slightly more spacious with the personal IFE screen being fixed on the bulkhead. Glancing out of the window, I gaze at the huge SQ A380 beside us and the A330 that I am seated on seems rather small in comparison!

Prepping up the A380 in the morning

As the passenger who went out to retrieve his package returned, the crew member prepared the plane for pullback and the captain started the safety demonstration video as the plane made its way around Terminal 3 and into Terminal 1. It seems that today we will be using the runway closer to Terminal 2 and this meant a trip around Changi and allowed me to take some photos of the planes docked at the airport that morning. Amongst the rarely seen planes that day was a Transaero Boeing 777-200ER from Russia which seems to be a chartered flight and a Xiamen Airlines Boeing 737-800. It was interesting to note how even the Chinese airlines are already using the next generation 737s. We also cruised pass by a Cathay Pacific Boeing 777-300 before waiting to use the runway proper for take off.

Transaero 777-200ER and Xiamen Airlines 737-800

Cathay Pacific Boeing 777-300

Take off on the lightly loaded A330 today was fast and we were soon up above the clouds, giving me only a short window of opportunity to capture the fleet of cargo ships docked along the Eastern shore of Singapore. The wide angle of banking done by the captain meant we turned rapidly and coupled with the fast ascent, the only view out of the window was the cloud formations.

Taking off from Singapore

Shortly after reaching cruising altitude, amenity kits and eyeshades were passed around and the blue drawstring pouch contains a pair of socks. It was perhaps similar to the amenity kits given out to economy class passengers during my flight between SIN and LHR last year, since there wasn't anything else in the pouch. This was at least better than Cathay which doesn't even give out amenity kits for a longer day flight between Jakarta and Hong Kong.

Singapore Airlines business class on A330

Afterwards the crew got busy to preparing for meal service and started taking orders for meals, and like some airlines, the crew started taking orders from perhaps its most premium customers and since I had am just a basic Krisflyer member, and on a redemption ticket, I was obviously asked for my choice last. However that gave me time to peruse what is one of the most complete airline menus for a medium haul regional flight. I also took this time to watch the movie 'Thor' on the IFE and the large screen in the bulkhead was really good to watch movies in.

Cruising altitude

Breakfast Menu 早餐 | Singapore to Guangzhou 新加坡飛往廣州

Prelude 前餐

A choice of apple, tomato or freshly squeezed orange juice 精選蘋果,番茄或鮮榨橙汁

Fresh fruit 新鮮果盤

Starter 頭菜

Choice of cereals or yoghurt 自選谷物或酸奶 - cornflakes with milk or granola with yoghurt-berry compote 玉米片佐以牛奶或格蘭諾拉燕麥卷佐以漿果酸奶
Plain or fruit yoghurt 純酸奶或水果酸奶

Main 主菜

Selection of dim sum 自選點心 - Oriental glutinous rice with chicken, pork dumpling, prawn dumpling and vegetable dumpling 東方糯米飯佐以雞肉,豬肉餃,蝦餃和蔬菜餃

Egg noodles with braised beef brisket and vegetables 雞蛋麵佐以燉牛腩和蔬菜

Poached eggs with Hollandaise sauce, chicken sausage, grilled tomatoes and potatoes 水煮蛋佐以荷蘭醬,雞肉香腸,烤番茄和土豆

Breads 麵包

Assorted breakfast rolls 什錦早餐麵包

Butter - Fruit preserve 牛油,鮮果醬

Beverages 飲料

Gourmet coffees & selection of fine teas 咖啡或自選茶

I picked the egg noodles with braised beef brisket and vegetables for the main course. For starters, I was served a fresh fruit platter which comprised of rockmelon, honeydew, watermelon, pineapple, strawberries and raspberries. It came with a warm croissant. The flight attendant proceeded to ask me what I wanted to drink, and I chose the Paris-Singapore tea from the TWG tea selection which sounded interesting. The tea is actually a green tea infused with fragrances of cherry blossoms and red fruits which makes it fresh and soothing on the palate. I declined on the next course which was yogurt or cereals since I was quite full after my breakfast at the hotel, and snacks at the lounge. I also didn't finish my croissant, and just awaited for the main course.

Fresh fruit platter

The main course of egg noodles was delicious but again I didn't finish the egg noodles. However, I did finish the fantastic beef brisket which was tasty with the accompanying gravy and fried onion garnish. SQ really did a good job in ensuring the beef brisket was tender and cut into small portions so they were easy to eat as inflight food. The gravy also made the vegetables sweet which I also finished. The flight attendants weren't that attentive to passengers considering the light passenger load in Business Class today, and I had to request for top up of hot water for my tea. At the end of the meal service, I was offered a choice of coffee or tea, and went with another cup of tea, this time opting from their in-house tea selection and choosing the Japanese Sencha to cleanse the palate after a hearty meal.

Egg noodles with braised beef brisket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.