From the bakery

Roll and butter

Hot Beverages

Coffee - Tea

Oriental Selection

Appetiser

Chinese barbecued pork and Asian slaw

Main Course

Stir fried fish fillet with chinese chives in oyster sauce, sauteed vegetables and steamed rice

Light bites

Chinese snack

Dessert

Ice Cream

From the Bakery

Roll and butter

Hot Beverages

Chinese tea
International Selection

In Flight

Over Vietnam

Gate in SIN

SIN Immigration

Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:01 am

Wow I love your HK night pics from Victoria Peak!! Great report!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: UACO Plat/1K, DL Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis - PC, SPG Gold, Colorado Pass
Originally Posted by BryanIAH
Oh yeah, my sister. You see, a couple of years ago I told my baby sister that I would take her anywhere she wants to go as a graduation gift. Well, she graduated in June and both of our schedules had free space for July and August so I started making arrangements. Her travel experience is US + Mexico and she doesn't fly enough to understand the rules and procedures associated with complex itineraries so there was some initial disappointment when the original plan (F/J instead of Y) didn't work out. SQ will always behave like SQ and their dominance in Southeast Asia is unavoidable when trying to fly on *A. Still, a trip involving 7 countries (including Malaysia by land) is an accomplishment when booked on relatively short notice!
I remembered you mentioned that you were going to fly 24k miles BIS but on an award ticket in whY. The horror! I thought to myself that's so un-BryanIAH-like. I understand now. A good brother.

Originally Posted by BryanIAH
Thai Airways International Flight TG629 Seoul, South Korea (ICN) to Hong Kong (HKG)
Departure: 10:20 AM
Arrival: 12:55 PM
Equipment: Boeing 777-200ER
Nice going on the op-up. I have this flight booked in business in October so I'm glad you wrote it up. It's funny; I was wondering last night how royal silk on this particular flight would be. Thanks!

Looking forward to the rest of the report!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Superb report! Very interseting that you took the polar route eastward from EWR-PEK.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Angeleno228
Wow I love your HK night pics from Victoria Peak!! Great report!
Thank you! We stood in line for over an hour for the ride going up and 90 minutes for the ride going down but it was worth the wait.

Originally Posted by atiger29
I remembered you mentioned that you were going to fly 24k miles BIS but on an award ticket in whY. The horror! I thought to myself that's so un-BryanIAH-like. I understand now. A good brother.

Nice going on the op-up. I have this flight booked in business in October so I'm glad you wrote it up. It's funny; I was wondering last night how royal silk on this particular flight would be. Thanks!

Looking forward to the rest of the report!
Thanks! Yes I will earn lots of good brother points for this haha. The new seats are nice although they're a little narrow. They don't recline to 180 degrees flat but they'll suffice for a regional flight. When I was booking these tickets I saw plenty of TG C availability on that route and our flight was almost empty in C so I don't know why these seats aren't selling!

Originally Posted by zcat18
Superb report! Very interseting that you took the polar route eastward from EWR-PEK.
Thanks! The route map showed a westward route at first but changed as we flew over the arctic. The final part of the flight was southeast over Russia and Mongolia. I flew CO89 once before in March but we didn't take the eastward polar route. At first I thought it might be a glitch in the AVOD but once we landed I checked online and it displayed the same route.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 4:31 am

Programs: Qatar Gold, Asiana Club Diamond, THAI silver
Enjoy all the hi-def photos. Many thanks for such a quality trip report.
On the side note, I'd like to see more pics from the cabin.

I'll be flying CO 777-200ER and 767-400ER trans-atlantic, I hope seats will be nice to me as this will be my first Economy class over trans-atlantic. I used to non-rev in Business class all the time.

Not sure how CO PC lounge at EWR terminal C is like. Are there free alcohol beverages for me to calm myself down knowing that none is complimentary later on the flight?

The food on CO looks nasty. They could have done a bit more with the presentation if not the quality of food.

THAI 777-200 you were on was actually non ER one.

What happened to your main course on SQ flight? They should never use that hard aluminium-like stuff.

Thank you once again.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 5:07 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flyvirgin
What happened to your main course on SQ flight? They should never use that hard aluminium-like stuff.
I was also on SQ891 a few weeks ago (not OP's flight), and they were too using the disposable casserole rather than the washable one. Same thing on SQ2 out of SIN. Apparently, as per SQTalk, they're cost-cutting. It doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the meal presentation...
Old Aug 6, 2011, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Enjoy all the hi-def photos. Many thanks for such a quality trip report.
On the side note, I'd like to see more pics from the cabin.

I'll be flying CO 777-200ER and 767-400ER trans-atlantic, I hope seats will be nice to me as this will be my first Economy class over trans-atlantic. I used to non-rev in Business class all the time.

Not sure how CO PC lounge at EWR terminal C is like. Are there free alcohol beverages for me to calm myself down knowing that none is complimentary later on the flight?

The food on CO looks nasty. They could have done a bit more with the presentation if not the quality of food.

THAI 777-200 you were on was actually non ER one.

Thank you once again.
Thanks - I'll try to add more cabin shots. The CO 772 is comfortable in Y if you can grab a bulkhead or exit row and includes AVOD. The 764 is miserable and doesn't offer any quality Y seats. The PCs offer free booze from the bar but you can't serve yourself. I have no idea what happened on SQ - both HKG-SIN and SIN-BWN meals were in aluminum. My only other SQ Y flight was longer (around 7 hours IIRC) with better presentation. Still, I'd take SQ over CO/UA/US any day!

Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
I was also on SQ891 a few weeks ago (not OP's flight), and they were too using the disposable casserole rather than the washable one. Same thing on SQ2 out of SIN. Apparently, as per SQTalk, they're cost-cutting. It doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the meal presentation...
I see...I'll have to pay attention on BWN-SIN and SIN-SYD to see if anything changes.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Singapore

Singapore is one of my favorite destinations in Asia so I was excited about this visit even though it was for only 23 hours. After leaving my sister told me that Singapore is her favorite stop on this trip!

With such a short stop we decided to visit Orchard Road and of course the Singapore Flyer.

Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist

Have you ever flown CO TPAC yourself ? It actually doesn't looks nasty (it is just he didn't set the tray in the right positions of photos) and the quality is very high compare with UA and DL on TPAC routes, even compatible if not better than some asian carriers. I mean how many airlines still have menus in Y ? And how many airlines have ice-cream for mid-flight snack ? CO have both ! Even like NH they are selling icecream instead of giving out for free.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:46 pm

disagree

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Have you ever flown CO TPAC yourself ? It actually doesn't looks nasty (it is just he didn't set the tray in the right positions of photos) and the quality is very high compare with UA and DL on TPAC routes, even compatible if not better than some asian carriers. I mean how many airlines still have menus in Y ? And how many airlines have ice-cream for mid-flight snack ? CO have both ! Even like NH they are selling icecream instead of giving out for free.
sorry, but i have flown a lot of CO tpac in coach and i have to say the food looks bad and tastes bad. and NH gave free ice cream on my recent ORD-NRT flight.

but i am enjoying the TR, thanks for sharing as always.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:41 am

I think we we were on the same ICN-HKG flight BryanIAH. Were you and your sister sitting in the middle section of the C cabin in the middle seats? Congrats on the op up!
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dude
I think we we were on the same ICN-HKG flight BryanIAH. Were you and your sister sitting in the middle section of the C cabin in the middle seats? Congrats on the op up!
Yes we were!
Old Aug 10, 2011, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Flight VI: SIN-BWN

SQ's flights to Brunei depart from Changi's Terminal 2. We tried to check in online but SQ's system could not process the request so we used the counters in SIN.

*G members flying in Y don't have access to the SilverKris lounges and are instead herded into the SATS Lounge in T2 or the KrisFlyer Gold Lounge in T3. We used the T2 lounge and weren't impressed at all. Upon entry our ears were immediately bombarded by the ramblings of a businessman on his cell phone who paced around the lounge as he talked screamed on the phone! The lounge staff did nothing to address this issue even though we saw two people complain about the problem. DYKWIAs aside, the food and beverage selection was limited and the wifi was slow. We left after about 30 minutes as my sister wanted to explore the airport.

Airport Pond & Trees

Finally it was time to board so we went to the gate for a security check. The gate lounge wasn't very full and only about half of the seats on the plane were filled.

Singapore Airlines Flight SQ182 Singapore to Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei
Departure: 2:45 PM
Arrival: 4:55 PM
Equipment: Boeing 777-200 (3 class)

Our flight was operated by a 777 with the regional First/Raffles class configuration - equivalent to domestic F seats in the US. Since the plane was far from full we were each able to occupy our own row during the flight.

Menus weren't offered on this flight but we were given a choice of beef or fish for the meal. We both selected the beef but it wasn't very good.

We landed in BWN on time and sprinted to passport control. Even though we passed all of the F/J pax we were still behind about 40 people in the queue. BWN was very hot with limited air conditioning and reminded me of my wait at KBP immigration two years ago. After about 45 minutes we formally entered Brunei!

The sale of alcohol is illegal in Brunei but non-Muslims can import a certain quantity. After baggage claim we completed an orange form and presented it to the customs officials where we were waived through without using the x-ray machine. I guess he liked us or something.

A taxi to the hotel was B$25 (about $20 USD) and we passed several Shell stations along the way. Brunei has large oil deposits and the government sets the price at B$.53 per liter - about $1.65 USD per gallon!

I'll post more details about our stay in Brunei in the next installment.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Excellent so far, keep them coming ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.