Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

tom911 goes to Shanghai (World Swimming Championships) - Cathay Business - w/photos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tom911 goes to Shanghai (World Swimming Championships) - Cathay Business - w/photos

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:14 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

Greetings this Wednesday evening from the British Airways Terraces First Class Lounge at the San Francisco International Airport. I'm awaiting my Cathay 1:20am departure to Hong Kong, and the start of a 12 day trip that is focused on the World Swimming Championships in Shanghai. This is the most important event in swimming before the Olympics in London next summer.

I have a business class award ticket booked with AA miles (taxes were only $33, though the Chinese visa was much more at $140). I connect onward with Dragonair from Hong Kong to Shanghai with arrival late Friday morning. I booked this ticket all the way back in September.

I ended up in a security line with a naked scanner so once again had to opt out and be patted down. Took all of about 3 minutes. I was the only person around that opted out. Seems to be that way quite often. I'm not letting the TSA shoot any kind of rays at me, no matter how safe they claim the whole process is, as much as I fly.

I'm joining Olympic Gold Medalist Natalie Coughlin's family who are traveling separately and arriving a few hours behind me. I've known her family for over 30 years (Natalie turns 29 next month) and her father and I are retired from the same San Francisco Bay Area police department. I've been to a lot of her swimming events over the years, but the highlights were surely the Olympics in Athens in 2004 (PHOTOS) and Beijing in 2008 (PHOTOS). Natalie acquired 11 Olympic medals over those two Olympics. We're all looking forward to Natalie swimming in London at the 2012 Olympics. She is a co-captain of the U.S. Team.

Natalie did post a video from Surfers Paradise, Queensland, Australia, where the U.S. swim team was in training camp prior to flying to Shanghai on Wednesday. That video can be viewed on HER WEBSITE. I'd also expect her to update her site during World Championships so make sure you check in there, too. She's a lot more versatile with social media than I am and can gets things on line faster. She also managed to snag a photo of herself in the copilot's seat on her flight out of Australia. Look for that on her website, too. She is worried she might be blocked from updating from China (same worry I have). We won't know until we get there.

Upon check-in when the counters opened at 9:20pm I was asked if I wanted to volunteer for a downgrade as business was oversold. Compensation was $200 voucher and difference in fare paid (from business to coach). Problem was that I'm on an award ticket so there is no fare involved, and it's likely I would never use a Cathay voucher as I always fly with them on award travel. Really don't think $200 is enough, though, to get me to move back to coach for a 13 hour flight, and not sure what would happen if I don't arrive for the first night on my hotel award booking. I enjoy my perks and will keep my seat this time around.

I also noticed I lost my seat assignment in the second row of business class on the upper deck. Now I'm in the last row there, which may be blocked for elite flyers and actually considered a better seat. All that matters to me is that I have a window seat still. Upper deck is a bonus.

In the First Class Lounge I'm enjoying some dim sum and a Geyser Peak chardonnay. They also have a Geyser Peak cabernet, an Italian white, French red and Pommery champagne. I did pop into the adjoining business class lounge and will add photos from there in my lounge gallery (not with this report as I didn't really use that lounge). May not be able to get to that tonight.

I'll be posting details about my flights after arrival in Shanghai, and will post daily updates once swimming gets underway on July 24 (runs 8 full days).

NBC in the U.S. will be televising this event on three different weekend days. Set those DVRs. These are Pacific times so adjust accordingly for your time zone:

Sun 7/24 11am

Sat 7/30 10am
Sun 7/31 10am

Watch for Natalie in the pool and her family and me in the stands. We'll be seated together. I'll be posting swimming updates when she's in the pool for as many as five events (two individual, three relay). We'll know for sure what she is swimming as the week goes on. Swimming runs 8 full days.

Final note: do guests in the first class lounge expect the bottle of champagne to miraculously put its cap back on? Going to be a pretty flat champagne that way. Fortunately, a hostess just popped in and took care of that.

That's it for tonight. Next update will be from Shanghai.

Arrival at SFO International Terminal (Beach Blanket Babylon)

BA First Class Lounge

BA First Class Lounge- Geyser Peak Chardonnay and dim sum

My flight to Hong Kong- we board from the lounge

More photos in THIS GALLERY.

And if wonders will never cease, looked up a few minutes ago and saw SanDiego1K's husband walk in!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tom911
Upon check-in when the counters opened at 9:20pm I was asked if I wanted to volunteer for a downgrade as business was oversold. Compensation was $200 voucher and difference in fare paid (from business to coach). Problem was that I'm on an award ticket so there is no fare involved, and it's likely I would never use a Cathay voucher as I always fly with them on award travel. Really don't think $200 is enough, though, to get me to move back to coach for a 13 hour flight, and not sure what would happen if I don't arrive for the first night on my hotel award booking. I enjoy my perks and will keep my seat this time around.
Only $200? Can't imagine there would be many takers for that offer.
Wonder if First was full, as in "No thank you, but I would be happy to give up my J seat for a seat in First."
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by SFO777
Only $200? Can't imagine there would be many takers for that offer.
Wonder if First was full, as in "No thank you, but I would be happy to give up my J seat for a seat in First."
I have said that to a CX agent when I was made an offer similar to Tom's. Not even a hint of a smile from the agent nor a beep from the boarding pass reader.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

We went out with an empty seat in business across from me so maybe they didn't need anyone in the end. They did remove one passengers bag who was a no-show. Working on next installment between flights here in HKG but may have to wait to Shanghai to upload it.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

arrival at HKG

Boarded my flight about 12:45am to find I was not on the upper deck. I was in the last row of the lower deck on the right side at a window (those that have flown with me on AA know that this is the seat I ordinarily select with them as it gives you a view of the entire first class/business class cabin there depending on aircraft). Must have mixed up the lower deck seating chart with the upper deck seating chart. Although you are next to the window, your seat faces the aisle and you have to turn behind you to look out the window.

Departed SFO at 1:20am. (4:20pm Hong Kong time). The pilot had to remove the bags belonging to one passenger that did not show (might have been across the aisle from me as there was an empty seat come departure). Once in the air we were offered bottled water and a menu with drink and meal options. The drink cart came by and I selected the Deutz Champagne.

Stayed awake the first 4 hours of the 13 hour flight which was my original plan That would have me asleep at 8pm Hong Kong time. I slept on and off for the next 7 hours, and woke up 2 hours before landing (3:30am Hong Kong time). There was some minimal noise from the galley at this point as they prepared for the breakfast service which started at 4a.m.but otherwise they were pretty quiet during the night and it did not impact my flight experience.

From a seated position your elbows are really constrained because of the walls that adjoin your seat. I'm used to stretching out and the seat configuration made it impossible to extend your arms to the side. Nice that the seat goes completely flat when you are ready to sleep. Much more comfortable in that position.

I only watched one movie, and there were surely 100 or more to choose from (Unknown with Liam Neeson). The monitor looks about 17 inches. In addition to movies you can watch the flight map or select from CDS (I only listened to a Beach Boys CD the hour before arrival). Seemed to be something for every taste.

STARTER
Seasonal salad with marinated portobello mushrooms, prawns and balsamic vinaigrette

MAIN COURSES
Grilled USDA Prime beef tenderloin with balsamic demi-glace, roasted parsley yukon gold potatoes, sauteed spinach and carrots

Braised abalone with chicken, steamed jasmine rice, baby pak choy, carrot and mushroom

CHEESE AND DESSERT

Cambozola, Cheddar, Munster

Fresh seasonal fruit

Kahlua coffee cream chese cake with vanilla sauce

TEA AND COFFEE

PRALINES

A LIGHT MEAL was also available (mushroom soup/ grilled marinated prawns with salad/ fresh seasonal berries/ Cheese cake)

SNACKS
Roasted beef with sun-dried tomato horseradish mayonnaise on sour dough bread

BREAKFAST

STARTERS
Orange or apple juice
Strawberry and banana smoothie
Fresh season fruit
Fruit yoghurt
Assorted cereals

MAIN COURSES

Smoked salmon and Fontina cheese omelette, apple wood smoked, sauteed potatoes with peppers and asparagus

Imperial fried noodles with dim sum

Abalone clam and mushroom clam and congee with spring onion pancake

BREAD BASKET
Assorted breakfast breads served with preserves, honey and butter

TEA AND COFFEE

WINE LIST

Champagne
Champagne Deutz, Brut Classic

White Wines
Geyser Peak Alexander Valley Chardonnay
Domaine des Malandes Chablis 2009

Red Wines
Estancia Paso Robles Meritage Reserve 2007
Chateau de Maison Neuve Montagne Saint-Emilion 2009

Port
Dow's Late Bottled Vintage Port 2005

Signature Cocktails
Orinetal Breeze
A sour-plum tea and cranberry juice based non-alcoholic drink with honey and fresh lemon juice and a hint of rose water

Cloud Nine
A refreshing combination of vodka, Cointreau and Sprite with a refreshing touch of lemon flavour

Additional photos in my gallery related to this section start HERE.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow!!! Very fabulous TR!!! I'm glad you have a great flight. How is your service doing? Is that very successful? Where are you fly from? Is that SFO or LAX? You didn't take a pictures outside the windows to see beautiful sunrise. All I can says "WOW!!" it is beautiful morning.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N830MH
How is your service doing? Is that very successful? Where are you fly from? Is that SFO or LAX?
I flew from SFO to HKG, and from there on Dragonair to Shanghai. Service on both flights was very good as was the food. As I wanted to sleep on the longer flight I only had 2 glasses of champagne and water so didn't need a lot of attention.

You didn't take a pictures outside the windows to see beautiful sunrise. All I can says "WOW!!" it is beautiful morning.
Hong Kong was covered in clouds of various formations. I'm sure the sun was out there somewhere when we landed at 6am but I don't recall seeing it.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

starting day 2 in Shanghai

Greetings this Saturday morning from Shanghai. Seemed to have dealt with jet lag really well on this trip and didn't go to bed until midnight last night and was wide awake at 7 this morning.

FRIDAY
Arrived in Hong Kong at 6am and went through security for my connecting flight to Shanghai on Dragonair. I have a choice of three different lounges, but the easiest for this one was Cathy's “Cabin” which was down a flight of stairs across from my gate. They offered some breakfast items and had a deli where something could me made up for you. I had no appetite at all after the food at SFO and on my 13 hour flight so was happy with some orange juice. Free wifi was offered and I worked on my report during my 40 minute stay in a quiet corner

Boarded my Dragonair A330 flight in business class which departed on time at 8a.m. During this 2 hour flight they had a pretty decent breakfast service consisting of fresh fruit, cereal, and hot dishes. I selected a dim sum plate rather than eggs (I can always whip up eggs at home – can't do that with dim sum when you have limited cooking skills like me).

Left the aircraft at 10:25am. in Shanghai and after at ATM stop, and a convenience store stop to break a 100RMB note with a bottle of water (2RMB- 30 cents), I was on the MAGLEV train for the 7 minute trip into the city, at speeds up to 180mph, for 50RMB ($7.50). Exited the station and sorted out the Metro ticket machines. Paid 4RMB (60 cents) for the five-stop journey and arrived in Pudong a block away from my hotel located atop the Jin Mao tower (office building floors 1-53 topped with a hotel, then hotel runs up to 87 with check-in on 54). I could see the hotel in the skyline and was there in 10 minutes. I've since found a shorter route that only takes about 5 minutes coming in from a different direction.

It's hot and humid here. 92F (33C) on arrival and anytime I'm outside it doesn't take too long to get covered in sweat. Reminds me exactly of our Beijing trip this years ago in August.

Here's where Tom's travel nightmare almost played out. I stopped in the hotel driveway next to a low marble wall to pull my wallet out of my bag, knowing I needed ID and credit card to check in. I put the wallet on the top of my rollaboard as I put other items back into my backpack. I walked into the hotel entrance ready to board the elevator and realized very quickly that I wasn't holding my wallet. Back outside I go and pass a couple that asked me if I had lost a wallet. They had just handed it over to a hotel employee holding an umbrella and I could see him holding it in his hand. Once he verified it was me and that the contents were intact (they were—credit cards, dollar, yuan) he handed it back to me. Crisis averted. That could have played out very differently. Back to carrying my travel wallet in a front pants pocket. Blame jet lag or just that I let my guard down, but I can't let something like that happen again.

Made my way to the 54th floor at the Grand Hyatt and was offered the option to check in with the Regency Club on 83. Different elevator up there and I was promptly checked in just after noon and given an 80th floor corner room with a view right down on the Bund on one side and the Oriental Pearl Tower and office buildings on the other side.

Stopped in the lounge at 3pm for a cold Coca Cola Light and headed out to explore the neighborhood. There are two malls nearby, one below IFC that's only two stories and has a gelato shop (International Finance Center) and other other across the street from it (Super Brand Mall, 9 stories). At IFC there is a supermarket where Brooklyn Lager and Australian organic milk is available (about $4 for a liter of that milk). A coco cola light from South Korea is three times the price of a made-in-China version (don't know why). I also scoped out a number of restaurant options in that building including two Italian restaurants. Back at my hotel at 5:30, a quick lounge visit at 6 for a Tiger Beer and snacks (a cold pickle never tasted so good, also had chips and some appetizers), and then over to People's Square to meet to meet the Coughins at 7. Or so I thought.

I came out of the People's Square Metro station at exit 5 on Nanjing Road at 7 on the nose (the station has 20 exits and reminds me of mile long walks in the Hong Kong Metro). The train was jam packed as was the station. You cover a lot of terrain underground here. Came out to the street and could not get my bearings at all. I couldn't find street signs in English and could not pick out the Coughlins hotel from the skyline. I knew I was close but that just wasn't working. I was approached by an Asian man who asked if he could help me and I asked him where the hotel was. He said “follow me” and took me back into the station and out the opposite side into a pedestrian mall packed with people. Figured I'd give him a tip for helping me. We walked a good 10 minutes and turned onto two side streets, still with lots of people around, and we stopped at an unmarked door that he knocked on. I knew I was not at a hotel, let alone the Coughlins hotel. They wanted to sell me a suit.

Quick 180 and I'm back at the Metro station coming out the same entrance I was at before. Walked along Nanjing Road there and saw a tall building that I thought could be there hotel and headed that way. Along the way I passed two Australians who verified I was heading the right way. In the lobby at 7:25pm, just 25 minutes late. Worked out O.K. As the Coughlins were not in their room until 7:10pm after landing at 5:30pm and coming in via shuttle van.

We visited for a while, discussed travel plans, and then went and walked around for a while to check out restaurants in the area. We were all too tired and just went back to their hotel and had some Australian wine instead. Megan, Natalie's sister who is along, had a cheese plate from the 38th floor lobby bar. I left them at 10pm, walked around the area a bit and found Raffles City which is a mall similar to what's around my hotel. Had to get in line for a Metro ticket and when I got to the front the coin box was full and it was not allowing purchases. Got in another line of 10 people and that machine worked. Was back at my hotel at 11 and sound asleep by midnight. Pretty full day.

New photos start here:
http://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Asi...263710_wPG7RrF

Featured photos from this section:

Dragonair business class

Super Brand Mall (part of a Transformers move promo):

Grand Hyatt on the left

Metro to Peoples Square

View from Hyatt lounge on 83rd floor

Last edited by tom911; Jul 23, 2011 at 1:59 am Reason: added photos
Old Jul 23, 2011, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Just found some time to add some select photos from Friday and they're featured above. Coming up on 4:30 pm Saturday here in Shanghai and I'm due a reception at 6, so quick break back at my hotel for some needed AC.

First day at the pool is Sunday morning.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Tom, thanks for a great TR!

My daughter, who is a 14 year old swimmer, idolizes Natalie so we'll be watching.

I'll keep an eye out for you.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
tom911 - I'm enjoying your trip report. I can't believe anyone would volunteer to downgrade business to coach for a paltry $200 and fare difference.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

When I looked at getting a paid ticket last year SFO-PVG (I'm on award), the cheapest fare was $1,500, though two weeks before departure that was down to $1,000. Those are the times for award tickets for me. The most expensive fare I've ever bought was a $699 sale fare to Australia which is about my breaking points for switching to miles. $200 wouldn't make much dent in a $1,000-$1,500 ticket to come back or even just travel to HKG,
Old Jul 23, 2011, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Day 3 in Shanghai - first day at the pool

Day 3 in Shanghai

The heat and humidity here are starting to take its toll on us. On Sunday, Jim and Zennie joined me for a walking tour from People's Square over to The Bund (Megan, Natalie's sister, and her grandparents did a bus tour). Along the way we stopped at Raffle's City shopping mall (they have a Carl's Jr, Papa John's Pizza and a Coldstone creamery, as well as lots of Asian restaurants and shops). Best part was the air conditioning. Just as we left the Coughlins hotel we stopped for cold water (1.7 yuan, about 27 cents, an essential for walking around here.

Took about 30 minutes to walk over to The Bund and at that point it was pretty clear we needed to limit our outdoor time. Hopped a ferry from The Bund across the river to Pudong (2 yuan, 33 cents) and walked a few blocks to the IFC mall to visit their market. Much like Costco in the U.S., they had employees throughout the store giving out small samples of different juices and even an area to sample wine (we each had 2 one-ounce samples). Grabbed some drinks and then over to my hotel to cool down. We won't be doing walks like this again as it's just not comfortable to be out and about for any length of time.

One thing you learn real quick here is red lights don't mean “stop” and green lights in pedestrian walkways don't mean “walk”. You really have to be on guard when crossing the street as cars just don't stop.

Coughlins cabbed back to their hotel and I joined them later at 6 (me by train, 3 yuan, 45 cents)) for a reception in the 40th floor bar at their hotel. I enjoyed my cold mojitos. A lot of the U.S. families were there including someone from water polo who are also here competing. Dinner afterward was in their hotel restaurant. I had a Thai chicken curry with rice that was very good and others in our party (Megan, Natalie's husband and Megan were there) had various noodle or soup dishes. No Western food at our table! Most main dishes priced at $15-16 so not too dear for hotel food.

At 10 I headed back to the hotel and was sound asleep by 11. Up at 5:45 this morning to finish this segment, upload photos, and get down to breakfast about 6:45. Want to be on the train to the pool by 7:30 (11 or 13 stops on Metro depending on route). Prelims for today start at 9. We expect Natalie to be swimming in a relay event on Sunday night (which might be on TV in the U.S. on NBC which airs Sunday morning there). They use alternate swimmers for the qualifying heat this morning.

New photos start here:
http://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Asi...350151_s4Dwt7r
Old Jul 23, 2011, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gamecock
My daughter, who is a 14 year old swimmer, idolizes Natalie so we'll be watching.
Looks like it's going to be an exciting week here. Hope to get my first photos of Natalie at the pool tonight (Sunday).
Old Jul 23, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by tom911
Looks like it's going to be an exciting week here. Hope to get my first photos of Natalie at the pool tonight (Sunday).
Please give Natalie an extra cheer from Katie!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.