Wiki Posts
Search

AA AQ F LGA-DFW-HNL-BUR-LAS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2004, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

AA AQ F LGA-DFW-HNL-BUR-LAS

Dear all,

Here is my second Hawaiian themed report. This time, my routing changes a little bit – flying from La Guardia to Honolulu via Dallas Ft. Worth. I actually think that it works a bit better. I got to stretch my leg after a three hours flight before a slightly shorter flight to HNL from DFW than from ORD. Maybe the slight better DFW-based F/As make the flight a bit easier to pass, or maybe since it is Spring break and my master qualifying exam is over. Well, I really like the sun in Honolulu now, especially after the horrible snow day on Tuesday – freezing rain, snows (wet and dry), and rain on one single day.

Here is the report itself!

March 17, 2004
AA 701 LGA-DFW Lv0600 Arr0859 Boeing 737-800 N976AN/”3DJ”
Check in line was virtually non-existent at the non-Floridian check in area D. I was quickly checked in and my bag was tagged and dragged it over to the TSA bag drop off point. The security line was okay and it took five minutes to get through, but I was surprised that nothing was opened inside the Concourse D. The only establishment opened was “Au Pain Bon.” If you are taking a 6am flight, please remember to grab a bite at Au Pain Bon before heading to the gates. Boarding began at 5:24pm at D7. Jackets were quickly hung up and we soon got a choice of orange juice and water. Despite the door was closed four minutes prior to departure, we had to deice and waited a bit before pushing back at 6:18pm. Surprisingly, there was no takeoff queue for R/W4, and we took off at 6:26am. Flying time was three hours and thirteen minutes with a cruising attitude of 31,000feet.

Well, breakfast was served up front and there was a choice of the usual hot breakfast, which consists of a Southwestern omelet, which is basically a cheddar cheese omelet on top of a spicy corn, potatoes, black beans, and ham medley, or cold breakfast, which was the special K. The accompanied fruit platter is cantaloupe slices, white grapes, grapefruit, and strawberry, and there is a choice of regular-sized bagels or mini biscuits. I had the hot breakfast, which was uninspired, and I hope the April 1 change in meals will result in better and more filling breakfast offerings. Movie, Intolerably Cruelty, was shown, and CBS Eyes on American after it. I went straight to sleep and woke up when the plane began its descent at 9:11am. Soon, we landed on Runway 17C at 8:39am CST and parked at gate A38 nine minutes later. It was a nice and peaceful flight.

AA 5 DFW-HNL Lv1005 Arr1439 Boeing 767-300ER “371” with the original interior
I had some breakfast with McDonald, as I had bad experiences with AA food last month. DFW was fairly busy as it was filled with vacation flyers, and of course, “A” concourse was filled with folks heading to Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Honolulu, Las Vegas, San Jose (Costa Rica), and Maui. Spring break is definitely here. Boarding began at 9:28am at gate A24, and as expected, the flight was completely full in both F and Y. Two rather cheerful F/As served us a choice of orange juice, champagne, or mimosa. Door was closed early at 9:55am, and we wasted no time to join the long queue of mainly AA and DL’s MD-80s and CRJs. We were number eight this morning, but as we taxied to R/W18L, I passed by an interesting United’s Boeing 747-400 (N197UA) pushing back from UA’s gate areas. I don’t think United flies Boeing 747-400 into DFW and don’t know if any United flights that will detour to DFW necessarily. It must be a special charter. Soon we took off at 10:24am following a DL’s CRJ-200. Flying time was a quick seven hours and forty-nine minutes, and the routing took us from Dallas, passing by New Mexico, Arizona, and the Los Angeles area before heading to SE Pacific. We initially climbed to 31,000ft and then further up to 36,000ft.

Shortly after seat belt sign was off, and the initial round of beverage, accompanied with warmed mixed nuts, a long line of AA attractions began. CBS Eyes On American first, followed by the School of Rock and Master and Commander, followed by more “Everybody Loves Raymond.” Then lunch began…
Here is my created transcript –
Appetizers
To Start
Warmed mixed nuts to accompany your preferred beverage

Appetizer Salad
Slices of Parma ham and pineapples accompanied by a marinated shredded radish & red pepper salad and seasonal mixed greens with Herb Vinaigrette or Sesame Oriental Dressing
Well this appetizer was an improvement from that disastrous soba noodle salad last month. The ham was fresh, and the pineapples were sweet, but that radish and red peppers salad was strange tasting. I don’t see how much AA can save by offering an appetizer salad, instead of a separate appetizer and mixed green salad.

Bread Basket
Choice of Sourdough or Honey wheat rolls

Entrées
Macadamia Crusted chicken breast, accompanied by mashed potatoes and shredded zucchini
Or
Fillet of Beef marinated by black pepper and a demi glace sauce, accompanied by mashed sweet potatoes topped with chopped nuts, and Bak choy
I had the beef, which was over-cooked, but tasted okay. Not a big fan of sweet potatoes, but were nice.
Or
Pan fried salmon filled with a cream sauce, accompanied by rice medley and a carrot/string bean medley
It looks good, as my neighbor had it.

Dessert
Hawaiian Custard Flan accompanied by diced rum-marinated pineapples
Or
Ice-cream sundae with your choice of hot fudge and strawberry sauce, topped with chopped nuts and whipped cream
As a change, I had the flan, which was okay.

Then I went to sleep for five hours, till the snack service. The cheese plate remains intact, and has reached a new low. Instead of many grapes, we had half an apple (not even kidding you). The cheese was a slice of blue and an American cheese wedge, accompanied by four assorted crackers. Thankfully, I was not so hungry this time, but I packed my macadamia nuts this time. I watched three “Everybody Loves Raymond” episodes, and then descent soon began at 1:52pm HST, and we landed on R/W8L at 2:13pm HST, and parked at gate 20 three minutes later. I was really impressed with the ground services at HNL, as the bags started to arrive at 2:29pm – much better than LA and JFK for sure. I was impressed, and soon took the Airport Waikiki Express to Doubletree, second drop off today… not bad at all.

March 18, 2004
AQ 462 HNL-BUR Lv1400 Arr2102 Boeing 737-700 N741AL “Olopana”
Well, the day began with an early arrival into the Aloha’s check in area, and I was really early for the 2pm flight. I got checked in quickly and my bag was tagged as priority (although it did not work at all), and was given the code to enter the new Aloha lounge. Security was not too bad, and I was at the lounge fifteen minutes later. The lounge was slight renovated with new furniture and additional snacks, such as lemon bars and Macadamia nuts, and the usual non-alcohol beverage selection. My biggest surprise is the free wireless Internet access, which is really nice. Other than that, the lounge is as plain as ever. I had some juice and logged on for a while. Just a few planes report – N743AL was in charge for Oakland service this afternoon, N744AL to Santa Ana, and N740AL arriving from Burbank. All without winglets… Our aircraft arrived slightly early from Santa Ana but boarding did not commence till 1:46pm. Nobody was in hurry and the flight was completely full front to back with about 60% heading to LAS and 40% to BUR, and additional 25% pickup from BUR to LAS – definitely not bad at all. George was our F/A today and was excellent beyond words. He mingled with each passenger and our glasses were never left empty. There were four F/As (two in F and two in Y), which made service very efficient. Once everyone was boarded, there was a quick round of beverage with Mai Tai, orange juice, or water. Door was soon closed at 2:08pm and we pushed back two minutes later. We took off from R/W26R at 2:17pm and flying time was four hours and forty-six minutes.

Complimentary headsets were passed out to both first and economy passengers soon after takeoff and the first round of beverage began immediately. I had another Mai Tai and was surprised to see whole real slice of pineapple was served as a garnish. A bowl of macadamia nuts accompanied our beverage, and soon the new Navigator Class menu was passed out and entrée orders were taken. Hot towels were first served before the lunch service. Here is the menu transcript:

A Taste of the Islands
Tropical Tendings
Ginger Pesto Shrimp on Romaine, Miso Sesame Vinaigrette
Beautiful appetizers with three shrimps on top of chopped Romaine, three slices of endives, and cherry tomatoes
For breads, there was a choice of Wheat or Taro rolls

Paradise Found
Char Siu Crusted Mahi Mahi on Stir Fried Vegetables with White Rice
Or
Red Wine Braised Leg of Lamb, Chinese Taro Gnocchi, Lomi Tomato Relish
I had the lamb, which was moist and tasty, and there were some broccolis on the side (not overcooked for once – crunchy)… the entrée were simply excellent.

Island Dessert
Aloha’s Signature Dessert
Premium Ice Cream
Choice of Toppings
A Typical Hot Fudge Sundae

Wines from the Pacific Rim
Expressive and Elegant
Domaine Chandon Brut Classic

Classically Crafted
Ferrari-Carano Alexander Valley Chardonnay

Intensely Flavorful
Villa Maria Private Bin Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

Plush and Enticing
Beringer Napa Valley Merlot

Soft and Silky
Hogue Genesis Syrah

Well, after lunch, I had a cup of tea, and was surprised to be presented with a whole collection of STASH teas, which include Earl Grey, English Breakfast, Green, Orange Spice Black, and Chamomiles. That was a real world class act… a change from the regular Lipton tea pack. I tried both the Orange Spice Black and green tea, which were both fine. For economy class, the choice for lunch was beef straganoff with egg noodles or Chicken Teriyaki with Fried Rice. Due to the flight heading from Hawaii, no Hawaii promotional videos were shown before movie, which was Cheaper by the Dozen. Judging from the laughter of passengers, it was a really funny movie, but I manage to take a quick nap. A short destination video about Burbank airport was shown prior to arrival. After the movies, there was the signature chocolate chip cookies and milk service, with a napkin folded in the shape of a swan on the side. Descent began at 6:35pm and a final hot towel service was served later. Soon we landed on a foggy LA evening at 9:03pm. I think we landed on runway 08 and I was surprised that we parked right at our gate, A9, after turned off from the Runway. That was the quickest taxi to the gate I ever recorded on my flight log. A minute to be exact… Passengers arriving at Burbank deplaned first, and after a head count was done, we were allowed to be off. Walking off from the plane on stairs was fun. Burbank airport was not too exciting on this Thursday night, except a few Southwest flights departing and most shops were closed except a sports bar.

AQ 462 BUR-LAS Lv2155 Arr2252 Boeing 737-700 N741AL Olopana
Boarding resumed at 9:26pm and due to a TSA mistake, a last minute ticket passenger was required to deplane and get a full strip search before returning to flight. Door was still closed early at 9:53pm. We pushed back a minute later and headed straight to Runway 26. We took off at 10:01pm and flying time was forty minutes. This time, George was in charge of serving us all up front, and his partner went to help out with the coach cabin. I had a glass of guava juice, and George managed a refill service for all of us. Before we knew it, descent began at 10:20pm and we landed on Runway 25L at 10:41pm and parked at gate C1 a few minutes later. LAS was extremely busy at night with flights all over the place. You literally saw lines of planes waiting to land on Runway 25. The baggage claim area was crowded and with some constructions going on, Aloha shared the same claim with Allegiant Air and Air Tran, which had flights coming in around the same time. We waited for thirty minutes before our bags came out. Well Aloha Airlines once again proves itself as an excellent airline, and it deserves the new HNL-SNA-DCA flight. I enjoy every bit of this flight and wish to fly them soon. I hope I can get Row 1 next time (with the most legroom).

carfield
Old Mar 23, 2004, 3:23 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Thanks for the awesome report. AQ rocks!
Old Mar 23, 2004, 6:41 pm

great trip report, glad to hear the aloha flight to bur was full, i use to work in bur and always wondered how aloha did with their ogg, hnl, smf, and las service.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 8:38 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, LMT
volunteer trip reports moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.