A Delta GM's view of flying CO domestic First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2004, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Location: Anaheim, CA - Delta Platinum Medallion,Sky Team Elite Plus, American Airlines Platinum, OneWorld - Emerald, EK-Skywards Gold, VS Flying Club, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold. Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador

Over the past 4 years, I have pretty much flown Delta whenever possible not only to maintain my GM status, but to build up miles as well. However, this year I decided to branch out and try Continental since I can still earn my GM bonus. This trip I flew to Orlando on a routing taking me from SNA – IAH – MCO – EWR – SNA. Here are my impressions of Continental in First Class

Monday, February 9, 2004
CO 658 SNA – IAH 12:50PM – 5:57PM
Boeing 737-700 Seat – 2B

When I arrived at CO’s counter to check in, I was the only person in line, so check in was extremely fast. However, the security line was rather long. Having said that, I proceeded through security and waited to board my flight. Once the flight was called, I made my way on board and took my seat. The first thing I noticed was how clean the plane was inside. The flight attendant cam around and offered a pre-departure beverage service.

After take-off, a beverage service was offered followed by lunch. What was for lunch?

Hot Ruben Sandwich served with Pasta Salad and Lobster Bisque
-OR-
A Chicken Caesar Salad served with Lobster Bisque.

I opted for the sandwich. When the tray arrived, it was nicely presented. I grabbed hold of my napkin and was surprised by the weight of it. To my surprise, metal silverware was inside, including a metal knife! The sandwich was quite tasty as was the Lobster Bisque. It was really a nice meal for lunch. I sort of napped the rest of the way to IAH.

Upon leaving the plane, I made my way to the President’s Club in the E Terminal. I was delighted to find FREE wireless internet service available.

[b]CO 1286 IAH – MCO 7:05PM – 10:21PM[b]
Boeing 757-300 Seat 2E

I did not expect much in the way of service on this flight due to the late hour of it. However, after take off, dinner was offered. There was not a choice for dinner. The tray had a hot Pot Roast Sandwich and Italian Wedding Soup. The meal was rather tasty. Again, I was surprised with all metal silverware. One nice touch on CO is the “velvet rope” across the aisle between First Class and Coach. It may not be a curtain, but is does prevent passengers from Coach wandering up to First Class to use the lavatory.

Thursday, February 12, 2004

CO 1493 MCO-EWR 12:25PM – 3:04PM
Boeing 757-300 Seat 2E

Check in was relatively painless in Orlando. I made my way to the terminal only to find the lack of a President’s Club. In Orlando, I truly like Delta’s Crown Room. I think it is among the best they have.

After take off, lunch was served. Today’s choices were:

Warm Chicken Sandwich and Split Pea Soup

-OR-

A Shrimp Salad with Split Pea Soup.

Having missed breakfast, I opted for the chicken sandwich. The chicken was served on Rosemary Panini with grilled vegetable surrounding the chicken breast. The soup was hot and delicious. I had a Rosemount Shiraz on this flight. The flight attendants were constantly through the cabin offering beverages. During the flight, the First class cabin was roped off. Again, this is a nice touch.

In Newark, I made my way to the President’s Club near Gate C-102. I was shocked at how full the club was. However, with the free wireless internet service, it was nice to ba able to catch up on e-mail.

CO 787 EWR-SNA 5:10PM – 8:15PM
Boeing 737-700 Seat 2E

After I made my way to my seat and settled in, a pre-departure beverage service was offered. Prior to push back, I was surprised to see a menu being handed out in First Class. I did not think any airline was handing out menus on domestic flights anymore.

After take off, a beverage service was offered accompanied by a bowl of warm nuts. The dinner menu looked rather extensive:

TO BEGIN
Warm roasted nuts served with your preferred cocktail or beverage.

APPETIZER
Lobster accompanied by Du Barry Sauce

SALAD
Red oak leaf and romaine lettuce with fresh asparagus, Roma tomatoes, Kalamata olives and feta cheese.
Offered with your choice of La Flora herb vinaigrette or creamy bleu cheese dressing.

Ciabatta bread, multi-grain and pretzel breadsticks and assorted rolls with butter.

MAIN COURSES
Veal Chop
Pan-seared veal chop with an her rub, enhanced by a roasted mushroom and shallot ragout with pearl onions. Served with sautéed spinach with navy beans and Ratatouille.

Herbed Breast of Chicken
Presented on a bed of herbed couscous, accented by red wine sauce, baby peas with chanterelle mushrooms and salsify buttered baby carrots.

Grilled Shrimp
Grilled, marinated shrimp enhanced by shellfish sauce, accompanied by a grilled artichoke base filled with creamed spinach. Tomato basil relish and Fiesta rice.

Pasta Bowl
Cannelloni pasta filled with ricotta cheese and wile mushrooms, topped with Saulte sauce and oven-roasted yellow tomatoes.
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese will be offered with your pasta.

DESSERT
Vanilla ice cream offered with your choice of toppings.

I was set to order the veal chop. However, when the flight attendant cam to my seat, she explained the veal was gone. Instead, I ordered the shrimp. The lobster appetizer consisted of a small lobster claw and tail. The flavor was wonderful. The salad was an interesting mix and had a wonderful balance of flavors. The entrée was a nice surprise. There were 6 nice size shrimp on a bed of rice with an artichoke bottom that had been sautéed. The shrimp were done to perfection and the entrée was more than ample for even the heartiest of appetites. I topped off dinner with a wonderful ice cream sundae.

After dessert, I reclined my seat and read for most of the flight home while sipping on a variety of after dinner drinks. I did notice the rope divider was again in place between the cabins. The 737-700 is not too bad for a long haul flight. It was rather comfortable.

In my opinion, Continental provides a nice First Class service. At least the meal offerings were far superior to those offered on Delta Airlines (as my fellow Delta flyers can attest too). I do have to say Delta still has some of the best personnel. The folks at Continental were not rude or unpleasant. They just seemed to lack the “Southern charm” Delta has. Be that as it may, I would not hesitate to travel on Continental in the future. It really was a nice trip!

------------------
Old Mar 5, 2004, 6:12 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

It is nice to see that Continental has returned to true domestic First Class service. Currently, the description of the First Class service you experienced on Continental is superior to that of Delta Air Lines.

I am a Gold Medallion Delta SkyMiles member and have been for years. Before that, I was a Continental OnePass Gold Elite member in the days when Gold was the highest level, so I amassed hundreds of thousands of OnePass miles.

Even though I was Gold Medallion at the time, I took an award trip several years ago to Australia and New Zealand using my OnePass miles on Continental in First Class for the domestic segments and Qantas in Business Class for the overseas segments.

I will never forget a meal I had in First Class on Continental Airlines during that trip: a large bowl of mushroom ravioli in tomato sauce with a large bowl of Caesar salad.

While the Caesar salad was great, the mushroom ravioli was the best ravioli I have ever eaten. I have not found a restaurant, supermarket, etc. that had a mushroom ravioli as good as what was served in First Class on Continental Airlines.

By the way, I do not care for mushrooms.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 6:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
veal chop with an her rub

Sounds intriguing!
Old Mar 6, 2004, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Location: Anaheim, CA - Delta Platinum Medallion,Sky Team Elite Plus, American Airlines Platinum, OneWorld - Emerald, EK-Skywards Gold, VS Flying Club, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold. Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
Carnarsie, CO's First Class food service really does put Delta's to shame. I am travelling this week on DL to Tampa in First and I know I will not get anything near what I received on CO.

By the way, your meal description sounds fabulous on what you receeived. I really enjoy a fantastic mushroom ravioli.

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.