Wiki Posts
Search

AA F LGA-ORD-HNL-DFW-LGA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2004, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

AA F LGA-ORD-HNL-DFW-LGA

Dear all,

Here is my end of February report. It was nothing that special, except a quick trip to HNL from LGA via ORD/DFW by using a Y-UP fare. As of this point, I am still debating if the YUP fare is worthwhile, and I have two more roundtrips using the same Y-UP fare; my initial reaction is that the service is disappointing especially outbound from ORD, meals are poorly prepared and insufficient for a nine-hour flight, and without the triple miles, these fares not that “great.” But the international style business class seats are extremely comfortable, and that is the best part of it… also my theory that the DFW based international crew is better than the ORD-based international crew continues to be correct. Fortunately, no really nasty F/As… they are just more laid back and more likely to take a long break after the main meal service. I will appreciate more beverage refills and a better snack service on the westbound flight to Hawaii – almost forget, is it really that expensive to stock in new and clean pillows and blankets for the return flight from Hawaii to the mainland? I know it is low yield, but first class is sort of hard to get up front and award seats are not easy to receive as well. Here is my detailed report.

February 21, 2004
AA 309 LGA-ORD Lv0800 Arr0937 McDonnell Douglas MD-80 N584AA
The first class check-in counters were extremely stressful this morning at La Guardia. It was short-staffed and the couple new people did not help. The wait was not bad, but issuing a free award ticket seemed to trick this particular new staff, and her supervisor was very pissed off. Interesting way to start the morning! The security line was tolerable and I was in the gate a bit earlier than expected. I took a seat at the end of Concourse D and watched a couple takeoffs from R/W13 and a couple landing on R/W4-22, which are mostly Comair’s CRJs and US Airways’ Saab and Dash 8s. The traffic was relatively light on this particular morning and boarding began at 7:33am for our flight to Chicago. I was assigned 5E but agreed to switch to 3E for a couple to seat together – knowing that breakfast would be the cereal option. Pushed back at 7:53am and we took off from R/W13 at 8:04am. Flying time was two hours and two minutes, with a cruising attitude of 31,000ft.

Breakfast began with a nice glass of beverage first, followed by hot towels and the typical AA one tray breakfast. The choice was a warmed breakfast sampler with pancakes and scrambled egg or a bowl of Rice Crispy with milk, accompanied by a fruit plate (similar to the slightly smaller fruit bowl on the hot breakfast), which consists of cantaloupes, grapes, grapefruits and strawberries. For breakfast pastries, there were choices of bagels or blueberry muffins. After breakfast, I took a nice hour nap before descent began at 9:28am on a overcast day at Chicago. We landed on Runway 27R at 9:06am CST, and parked at gate L4 a few minutes later. The international terminal was quiet with an exception of a Korean Air’s Boeing 777-200 and a Japan Airlines’ Boeing 747-400. A United’s triple seven joined in half an hour later.

AA 295 ORD-HNL Lv1115 Arr1634 Boeing 767-300ER N398AN
Well, the end of K Concourse was pretty busy with a number of delayed flights this morning – a delayed San Jose bound Boeing 737-800 flight, and Jackson Hole bound flight. It was an interesting flight and the pilot made the pre-flight announcement this morning. That was a nice move and passengers really appreciated them. This particular pilot welcomed passengers on board and bided farewells. BTW, our gate was K19 this morning and boarding began at 10:49am. Since this was the first flight of the day, each seat had a fresh pillow and blanket (international style) packet with a new headset. Orange juice, champagne, and water were offered just like any international service. The F/As are not exactly rude, but not particularly friendly. Well they try to smile at least and actually mingle with a number of passengers and were very happy when we were on our descent into Honolulu. Door was closed early at 11:09am and pushed back right on time. We headed toward Runway 32R immediately and took off at 11:23am. Flying time was nine hours with an initial attitude of 31,000ft and a routing towards Mississippi river, Cider Rapids, Omaha, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, and then onto the Pacific Ocean heading to Honolulu.

Since it was a nine hour flight, there was a variety of inflight entertainment – first, CBS Eyes on American was shown, followed by movies, Intolerably Cruelty and Runaway Jury, but no additional “Everybody Loves Raymond” marathon – slightly disappointed…hehe! For meals, there was a beverage and warmed mixed nuts service first, and refills were offered on beverage and mixed nuts, just like any American Flagship service. Hot towels were followed before blue linen put on our tray table for the main meal service (it was like the AFS transcon business class service with first class individually plated entrées and ice-cream sundaes). Here is the menu transcript created by me:

Appetizers
To Start
Warmed mixed nuts to accompany your preferred beverage

Appetizer Salad
Shiitake Mushroom accompanied by a soba noodle salad and seasonal mixed greens with Herb Vinaigrette or Sesame Oriental Dressing
Most horrible appetizer salad made to date – thank god for the normal greens. The soba noodle salad was yucky and it was a very disappointing and cheap appetizer.

Bread Basket
Choice of Sourdough or Honey wheat rolls

Entrées
Macadamia Crusted chicken breast, accompanied by mashed potatoes and shredded zucchini
Or
Shrimp and Scallop light seared in a tomato sauce, accompanied by rice in chopped pineapples, and Chinese broccoli
Horrible – The shrimp and scallops tasted fine, but smelled awful. The greens were yucky and undercooked, and the rice with pineapple combination simply did not work.
Or
Fettuccine topped with freshly garden vegetables in a light Alfredo sauce
Presentation was not good, but the best option…

Dessert
New York Cheesecake with caramel sauce
Or
Ice-cream sundae with your choice of hot fudge and strawberry sauce, topped with chopped nuts and whipped cream

Well, the ice cream was the best part of the meal, and water bottles were handed out later. Then I took a nap for the next few hours and then read a bit until the cheese and crackers service after the first movie. The cheese plate was very cheap (which consists of two slices of cheese, assorted crackers [4 to be exact], and grapes [white/regular]) as a snack at the end of a nine-hour flight – it was exactly like the cheese plate you got for transcontinental morning flights, and no cookie… I know it is a low yield flight, but am sure that American can serve a better snack, like a sandwich plate – those croissant sandwich plate is nice, or a Chicken Caesar Salad. If Delta can serve a Chicken Caesar salad as the pre-landing snack for first class, I am sure it is affordable for American Airlines. It is ridiculous to serve just a cheese plate for a nine-hour daytime flight. Well, I plan to email AA customer service. I paid $1300RT on an “A” fare, and could not imagine anyone willing to spend $2300 for a full fare F RT. Well I was smart enough to pack a protein bar and it saved my starving stomach. Descent began at 7:57pm CST and soon the beautiful Hawaiian Islands were in front of our eyes, and we landed on Runway 8L at 4:23pm HST, and parked at gate 19 a few minutes later.

February 22, 2004
AA 8 HNL-DFW Lv1755 Arr0510+1 Boeing 767-300ER N344AN
I arrived at Honolulu two hours prior to departure time. I used the machine to check in and walked around for some timetables and bag tags. Nothing at all – except a Korean Air timetable. I can’t believe that Japan Airlines does not have any timetables out in the counter. Well, I headed to security shortly after and saw a couple interesting charter planes in the Central Concourse – a World Airways’ MD-11 N279WA and an Omni International Boeing 757. Our aircraft arrived on time from Dallas Ft. Worth and it was one of the newest Boeing 767s purchased by AA with the new Boeing 777 style interior and slightly updated seats with snake like personal light and updated video monitors with Sky Map function. I personally enjoy the Skp Map function the most.

Boarding soon began at 5:25pm and door was closed early at 5:47pm. The flight was completely full in first and economy. Pre-takeoff beverage was offered as usual and the DFW based F/As were definitely friendlier and they were very efficient with meal services and very experienced. The head purser introduced himself to each of us, as he took our entrée order – much more personal. We pushed back 5:52pm and taxied to Runway 8R for takeoff around 6:05pm HST. It was sad to leave Honolulu so quickly. After passing North of Maui, we headed towards Los Angeles. We climbed from 33,000ft to 36,000ft and then 37,000ft before hitting the Los Angeles area, and then North of Phoenix, South of Albuquerque and then climbed to 39,000ft before heading Salinas, and Lubbock Texas. Flying time was six hours and twenty-seven minutes. Well dinner service started as the same method on the last flight – beverage and mixed nuts, refills, hot towel, and then linen… here is the transcript!

Appetizers
To Start
Warmed mixed nuts to accompany your preferred cocktail or beverage

Appetizer Salad
Cocktail shrimps accompanied by a corn, avocado, and shredded onion relish and seasonal mixed Mesclun greens with Herb Vinaigrette or Sesame Oriental Dressing
A much better appetizer with nice shrimps and corn relish salad…

Bread Basket
Choice of Sweet Hawaiian or Pumpernickel rolls

Entrées
Pan-fried red snapper, accompanied by rice and mixed vegetables
Or
Seared chicken breast topped with a sweet and sour sauce, vegetables, and mashed sweet potatoes
Or
Filet mignon – Tenderloin of beef enhanced by Hawaiian Sweet onion sauce, served with wasabi-flavored potatoes and shredded vegetables

Dessert
Ice-cream sundae with your choice of hot fudge, butterscotch, and strawberry sauce, topped with chopped nuts and whipped cream
Or
Fresh Fruit plate
A slice of papaya, topped with lime, accompanied by 2 slices of pineapples and strawberry

I had the beef entrée, which was perfectly cooked and it was a better dinner. Of course, Taro rolls will be nicer, but Hawaiian sweet rolls are better than usual wheat or sourdough rolls. For entertainment, the movie, Under the Tuscan Sun, was shown during the dinner service, which was a worst-than-usual chic flick – of course I am a romantic movie addict but this Diane Lane’s movie is pretty poorly written, despite decent acting. Well, it was an easier way to pass time. CBS Eyes on American was shown after the movie, and most passengers went to sleep after the meal. I tried to take a nap, but not too successful. Around 11:30pm HST, continental breakfast was served, which was very nice, especially compared to that awful cheese plate. The fruit plate had slices of grapefruits, white grapes, cantaloupes, and strawberries, accompanied by a warmed carrot muffin and a glass of iced cold orange juice. Most people actually took part in this continental breakfast service! Descent began at 00:12am HST and we landed on R/W17R at 4:32amCST. Of course, traffic was light and as the first flight for the day, we waited a few minutes at the gate area before guided in at 4:41am at gate C2. The plane would return to Honolulu in a couple of hours.

February 23, 2004
AA 700 DFW-LGA Lv0642 Arr1053 Boeing 737-800 N945AN/”3CA”
DFW was dead at five in the morning and nothing to do, except to watch CNN on the TV screens and they were on twenty four hours a day. Our Boeing 737-800 was parked at gate A11 and I walked from C2 to A11, which was a nice exercise after a long overnight flight. But I would not recommend it if you need to catch a closed connecting flight. It was a twenty to twenty five minutes walk. Boarding began early at 6:04am and a cheerful F/A welcomed us on board. Door was closed at 6:35am and the flight was 100% full – not surprise for a Monday morning flight. Bistro service in the back… Pre-takeoff beverage was offered, as we were waiting for our push back at 6:37am. Of course, there was not much traffic yet and we took off from Runway 17R at 6:46am. Flying time was two hours and thirty-five minutes with a cruising attitude of 37,000ft.

Movie, Secondhand Lions, was first shown, followed by CBS Eyes on American. Beverage was first served, followed by hot towels, and then breakfast was served. There was a choice of hot and cold breakfast. The hot entrée includes an egg and cheddar cheese quesadilla, accompanied by salsa and pineapples with sliced sausages. There was a fruit bowl that consists of cantaloupes, strawberry, grapes and grapefruits, and a choice of breakfast pastries, such as biscuits and bagels. The cold option has a bowl of Rice Krispy and a larger of fruit plate. Descent began at 8:51am and it was a beautiful day in New York City – a beautiful view of New Jersey, Statue of Liberty, Downtown Manhattan, and the eastside. Soon we landed on R/W31 at 10:21am EST and parked at gate D3 three minutes later. The biggest surprise was the early arrival on a Monday morning at La Guardia. AA did a good job for on time performances.

In conclusion, I was disappointed but not surprised by the lower first class product offered on the long haul Hawaiian flights. I think AA can afford a few extra things, such as a more filling pre-arrival snack plate on the westbound flight, fresh pillow and blanket for the Hawaiian-outbound flights, a printed menu – it does not need to be the fancy transcontinental type – even just a plain folded menu will be fine. The F/As really do not give enough entrée descriptions, and as passengers, I can’t expect them to repeat the entrée selections to each passenger fifteen times. Just bring back some glamorous to these Hawaiian flights. I am certain that AA can easily beat Continental as offering the best premium class product on the USA to Hawaii long haul flights. Of course, I still think Aloha and even Hawaiian are better airlines to Hawaii, but AA can do little things to make it better. Well, I have just changed one of my LGA-DFW-HNL flight into LGA-ORD-LAX-HNL flight – so I don’t need to take a 8am flight and the long haul ORD/DFW-HNL flight was really not that glamorous.

Well I hope you enjoy this report.

Carfield
Old Feb 27, 2004, 6:16 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Yep, the glamour is GONE! It seems that CO BF is the best way to fly to HNL in F these days.

Thanks for the another very informative report.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 6:40 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Nice job Carfield...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, LMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Feb 28, 2004, 5:47 am

I just flew from LAX-JFK on AA first class. The fruit plate werved after breakfast was exactly as you described. I am so disappointed that AA serves the same amount of food on a 9 hour flight that they do on a west to eastbound 4 hour and 30 minute flight..
Old Feb 28, 2004, 11:04 am

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Interesting that I was onboard AA700 with you last Monday morning. My upgrade cleared at the last minute and I was in 6A. Do you recall the fellow being bumped out of 6F when some late boarding woman showed up? He certainly wasn't happy.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Fantastic report, Carfield. I read all your reports when they come on board! A 9 Hour flight without a second meal in F class is really disrespectful from AA. They should install cookeries so flyers can have that second meal and make room for it. Or at least the turkey croissant sandwich they provide on transcon redeye flights would be a second meal plus! With AA's new management team, I'm sure they will consider raising the standards, they have too.

But yes, no excuse for not having clean pillows and clean blankets on those other flights, or any flight. No excuse, no exceptions.

And with the full DFW flight in F....I wonder how many were EXPs in that section with the upcoming complimentary upgrades coming on the 18th of March? Boy, do I remember those DC-10 3-Class planes to HNL!

Great comments with those menu translations!
Old Feb 28, 2004, 3:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Thanks Carfield. We're doing ORD-HNL in F in two weeks, so were glad to get the update. We'll pack extra food for the kids.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 8:45 pm

Location: New York, NY, AA 4MM PLT, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, CC Gold
Carfield,

Interesting, informative trip report as always. Thanks for writing.
Old Feb 29, 2004, 9:30 pm

I too flew a YUP to HNL, this past fall. I was fortunate to have transcon segments from and to BOS, then 763s to and from HNL. So my low-catering HNL-bound/return flights were shorter than yours. But I too thought there just wasn't enough food.

On the other hand, the 763 metal is pretty nice, esp the new 777-style 763s, but the old ones too. Great recline, and lots more personal space than 757s. As between space and food, I guess space comes first -- can always bring my own food, even though I shouldn't have to.

Sometimes I find I can get seconds from the galley -- another cheese plate, or both cheese and ice cream, or even a second salad. I usually do this at the appointed mealtime (it's not like I ask for another salad 3/4 of the way through the flight). Something to try in a pinch, perhaps, but the other pax might be annoyed (understandably, I guess).
Old Feb 29, 2004, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your kind comments!

Sorry bkkth! I really did not recall any passenger, except the lady sitting next to me. I was really tired as of that point... I just feel asleep right after the breakfast service. But I thought the service that morning was pretty nice... the F/A did a good job... did you agree?

Since I used YUP fare, I was not sure how many EXPs and how upgrades were processsed... but I assume it would be difficult due to the Monday am nature and many full fare tickets here...

The cheese plate is just unacceptable... I know it is low yield, but still think AA can serve the cookies after ward or serve a sandwich plate like most airlines.

Just curious... do anyknow what Northwest served as the pre-arrival snack on the longer MSP to HNL flight?

Thanks for reading my trip report!

Carfield
Old Mar 2, 2004, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Yes, I agree the FA did a good job. Some are very efficient and other less so. That always amazes me.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 4:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum
Great report, Hawaii is a wonderful place to relax, even if you were there for just a day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.