Search

A 1K Flies CO F EWR-LAX-EWR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2004, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
A 1K Flies CO F EWR-LAX-EWR

Coast to coast on CO First

This report is from the perspective of a UA 1K who doesn't fly CO much, so to put things in context for other UA regulars, I have put in some comparisons to familiar aspects of UA transcon service.

------------

I arrived at EWR around 10:45 for my 12:05 scheduled departure to LAX. I had checked in the day before using CO's OLCI, but decided to re-print my boarding pass using the self-service kiosk. I made my way past the teeming hordes of Economy lines (actually the place was half deserted) to the vaunted EliteAccess(tm) section...to find only more kiosks! There were just a handful of CSRs milling around behind the machines, with passengers left to service themselves. In short order I had my flimsy CO self-service BP (I *hate* these and the ones AA's machines give out...why can't CO's machines print on ticket stock like UA's EasyCheckIn?)

Next I proceeded to the security screening point, where a concierge saw my F boarding pass and directed me to the EliteAccess security line. Queues were non-existent anyway, but it is good to know CO offers this.

I made my way to the remote President's Club near Gate 90. I have to say this lounge (which is not even CO's flagship PC at EWR) puts virtually every Red Carpet Club to shame. It is upstairs from the concourse and upon entering you could be stepping into an Asian carrier's business class lounge. The reception area is exceptionally clean and features nice marble flooring and dark wood paneling. My BP, ID and Amex Plat card were checked thoroughly by the receptionist - interestingly, I thought EliteAccess gave you same-day PC access but I was required to produce my Amex card for admittance.

Once inside I took a quick tour of the lounge, which is set around a skylighted atrium. The well stocked bar (at which all drinks are gratis) was spotlessly clean with an attractive array of liquor bottles *enhanced* by some model CO airplanes. I ordered a tomato juice which the bartender cheerfully produced, even stopping to ask if I wanted a lime or a lemon.

Some of the furniture looks a bit worn, but nothing like the average (awful) RCC. The walls feature beautiful striped mahogany paneling, which constrasts with the light colored faux-leather chairs and marble-topped tables. Nice, if not thrilling. Not only was the carpet clean, but an attendant seemed to be on full-time sweeping duty chasing down any odd crumbs. Very nice.

I sat down in a quiet corner of the lounge and fired up my laptop. Within a minute it grabbed the FREE wifi signal and I was in business. Free Wifi rocks.

Soon, it was time to head down to Gate 92 for boarding.

Continental Flight 1202 EWR-LAX 24FEB2004
Boeing 737-824(ET) Mid-cabin Lav N37273
Seat: 2A
Scheduled + actual departure 12:05P EST
Scheduled flight time 5h27m
Wheels up time (Rwy 04L): 12:35PM EST
Scheduled arrival: 3:05PM PST
Actual arrival: 3:12PM PST

I walked down to the gate and boarding started immediately at 11:30. First Class was boarded first - "Passengers seated in rows 1-5 please proceed to the EiteAccess area for boarding." Whatever.

Coats were hung by the purser who was incredibly courteous and eager to serve. Unfortunately as it turned out, she would not be running the service in F, but went back to supervise Y after we climbed to altitude. Her colleagues in F unfortunately didn't prove as prompt or courteous. Not that they were rude or incompetent - the purser was just much more polished.

Predeparture drinks were offered and brought round after all the F pax were seated. Almost everyone ordered water. Pushback was right on time; the door was closed 5 min early. During pushback, we were treated to the obligatory showing of CO's hallmark Gordo video. (BTW, Chavon is NOT 'all that.')

We had about a 30 minute wait for takeoff. Finally, we were #1 for departure when suddenly we taxied right across 4L into a holding pad instead of lining up in position. Apparently a warning light had come on in the cockpit. The Captain was very communicative, explained the issue and said he'd be right back to us after speaking to Maintenance. In just a few minutes he was back to report the warning was a "nuisance light" and we could take off. I thought we might depart from the intersection where we were holding (only about 250 feet from the normal departure point) but instead we back-taxied down 4L and did a neat 180 degree turn. I can't imagine the extra couple of feet made any real difference on an 11,000 foot runway, but I assume all their takeoff data were calculated for a full length departure and it was simpler to do the 180 than to re-calculate the numbers.

Thirty minutes later we knew we'd leveled off at FL350, speed Mach .78 courtesy of the on-again-off-again Airshow on the overhead screens. Out came the Velvet Rope blocking the great unwashed masses from invading the F cabin. The IFE on this
plane was OK-basically identical to what's on UA's Airbus narrowbodies, with the addition of Airshow. Unfortunately (IMO)Airshow was only shown at the beginning and end of the flight.

The leather seat on this plane was great for a narrowbody aircraft - very wide with good (and adjustable) lumbar support. Better than UA's domestic F seats by some margin. Legroom at the bulkhead row 2AB side is similar to row 1 on UA's A320, complete with a foot cutout that doesn't exist on the right hand side of this plane at row 1.

Hot towels (nice, thick and very hot) were passed out followed by tiny bowls of sorta warm snack mix, not the Warm Nuts promised on the printed menu. The menu as predicted was identical to EWR/IAH-HNL:

TO BEGIN

Warm roasted nuts
served with your preferred cocktail or beverage

APPETIZER

Lobster accompanied by Du Barry sauce

SALAD

Red oakleaf and romaine lettuce with fresh asparagus,
Roma tomato, Kalamata olives and feta cheese

Offered with your choice of La Flora Italian herb vinaigrette
or creamy Thousand Island dressing

Ciabatta bread, multi-grain and pretzel breadsticks
and assorted rolls with butter

MAIN COURSES

Veal Chop

Pan-seared veal chop with an herb rub,
enhanced by a roasted mushroom and shallot ragoût with pearl onions
Sautéed spinach with navy beans Ratatouille

Herbed Breast of Chicken

Presented on a bed of herbed couscous, accented by red wine sauce
Baby peas with chanterelle mushrooms and salsify
Buttered baby carrots

Grilled Shrimp

Grilled, marinated shrimp enhanced by shellfish sauce,
accompanied by a grilled artichoke base filled with creamed spinach
Tomato and basil relish Fiesta rice

Pasta Bowl

Cannelloni pasta filled with ricotta cheese and wild mushrooms,
topped with Saluté sauce and oven-roasted yellow tomatoes

Freshly grated Parmesan cheese will be offered with your pasta

DESSERT

Vanilla ice cream offered with your choice of toppings

I'd have to describe the cabin service on this flight as competent, nothing more. The F/A came to take our lunch orders and said very abruptly: "You ready?" Somewhat shocked, I ordered the grilled shrimp and a glass of Champagne. As it turns out, the bubbly was loaded on board, but not chilled, so I'd have to wait while they iced it down.

Linens were laid on tray tables, and starters came out on a fully set tray with wine and water glasses, large linen napkins and not one, but THREE METAL knives! The lobster starter was very nice - about 3oz of fresh tail + claw meat served with "DuBarry" sauce which was suspiciously similar to Thousand Island dressing. After that came the salad, presented in a large bowl- very fresh lettuce and tomatoe with some so-so feta and black olives (not Kalamata). The vinaigrette was overpoweringly pungent but tasted fine.

After the salad plates had been cleared away, I finally got my Champagne, albeit in a regular wine goblet. It was no premium French bubbly (Paul Cheneau Brut Blanc de Blancs) but at least it was properly chilled.

The shrimp main course looked much better than it tasted - it was badly overcooked. Should have had the chicken or veal. I passed on the the ice cream, but I will say it looked very good. Had a coffee in nice china mug.

I then pulled out my laptop after deciding to skip watching the feature move 'Le Divorce.' There are no laptop power ports on this plane which as far as I'm concerned is not acceptable on a flight of this length.

Going up to use the head, I was amazed at the amount of catering loaded just for F - at least 5 packed carts. They barely fit in the 738 F galley and were pulled out for use, filling the whole area by the entry (1L) door. There was one FA doing all the serving, while her colleague worked in the galley preparing the plates.

It was a rough ride from the Continental Divide westward - this is where the 738 is a real disadvantage - it gets bounced around a lot more than a heavy widebody.

Overall CO's catering beats UA's in terms of quality, quantity and selection. Metal cutlery and nicer china and glassware, comparable to NH or CX regional J.

After the meal the F FAs disappeared to read magazines and chitchat in the jumpseats. For the next THREE HOURS there was no attention to refilling any drinks or checking up on the pax. Really, there was no more service at all in F until coats were distributed during final approach. Meanwhile Y got a second drinks service an hour before landing. Go figure.

Y looked as miserable as you'd imagine for 7 hours in CO E- with few open seats. I could not imagine doing 6 hours in a 737 in the back.

We landed on runway 25L at 3:10PM, 5 minutes late. Not bad considering the ground delay at EWR. We were at the gate
promptly afterwards and the purser was thanking everyone for their business as we disembarked.

Continental Flight 16 LAX-EWR 25FEB2004
Boeing 767-224ER N67158
Seat: 1L
Scheduled departure: 10:30AM PST
Actual departure: 10:29AM PST
Wheels up time (Rwy 07L): 10:39AM PST
Scheduled flight time: 4h36m
Scheduled arrival time: 6:35PM
Actual arrival time: 6:40PM

I arrived at LAX T6 around 8:45AM, having left Century City by taxi at 8:15 leaving plenty of time for traffic (there wasn't any) and a possible wait at security (there wasn't one), so I had over an hour and a half to kill. I had printed my BP and moved myself from 2B to 1L using OLCI, so I went straight to the Elite security line and was through it in no time.

Let me say, T6 sucks big time. The PC here, in contrast to the lovely ones at EWR, is a small, cramped dump on par with the worst RCC's. Well, OK, it has free alcohol, but at this time of the morning that didn't interest me. No WiFi (yet). The PC was packed with people, so after a quick tour (which revealed no working outlet to charge my laptop, no food other than some atrocious-looking donuts, and no seat where I wouldn't be right next to someone), I stored my bag and coat and headed out to see what else was on offer in T6. The short version is, not much. Bought a breakfast sandwich and watched a bunch of UA planes pushing back and taxiing out from T7. I had intended to pick up a DVD or two to watch on the flight, but none were to be had in this terminal. After killing an hour and change I grabbed my stuff from the PC, where the attendant very pleasantly wished me a good flight. Walked over to Gate 62 and (the one highlight of my morning at T6) was able to get a superb shoeshine right there while waiting for boarding.

Once again they summoned F to "report to the EliteAccess carpet for boarding." I hope CO realizes how HoKeY the blue carpets and, especially, those announcements, sound.

BF was (not surprisingly) full. Coach looked about half full. Predeparture drinks were offered by the purser as soon as our coats and baggage were stowed. I ordered a Bloody Mary which showed up about 30 seconds later on a silver tray. Nice start.

This 767-200 had the newer 777-style interior with the drop-down overhead bins. Very smart looking and clean, nothing like the oft-derided 20-year old UA 762's. In fact, it looked like a brand new aircraft. Turns out this particular 762 was delivered to new CO in May 2001. I didn't know Boeing was still delivering -200's in '01.
We watched the same lame CO safety video filler. Gordo is goofy, and Michelle is way hotter than Chavon.

The IFE on this plane is outstanding, no AVOD, but otherwise all one could ask for. Real Airshow, games, etc. A very bumpy ride during climbout was predicted by the Captain and Mother Nature delivered it as promised. The Magic Velvet Ropes were once again hung across the aisles at the rear of F. I have to say these are a great idea and were totally effective in keeping people from wandering between cabins.

The BF seat on the 762 is quite comfortable. Electronic switches control recline, footrest, and elevation and firmness of the lumbar support. Width is about the same as UA's int'l F seat (not the Suite). Footrest doesn't extend like UA C, but has the old style flip out metal foot rail. The footrest doesn't come all the way to a horizontal position. I'd estimate the maximum recline at about 120 degrees - similar to, perhaps a bit less than, UA C-. Overall I have to declare it a tossup between UA's international C seat and this BF seat. CO's seat is marginally better for sitting, while UA C+ wins hands down for sleeping. I have not flown on UA's 762's in F, only C, so I can't make a valid comparison (BF vs. UA 762 F); UA 762 C seats are about like regular short-haul F, except they have a small legrest.

The menu for this segment was almost identical to the outbound, except the main course choices were Sterling Silver tenderloin steak, Surf & Turf (a smaller steak with grilled shrimp), Vegetarian Lasagna, and a curried chicken breast with apricot basmati rice. Instead of the lobster appetizer, smoked salmon was on offer.

We were at FL330 over NW Arizona, in continuous light chop, when service began. Linens were distributed. Salad and appetizer were trayed together on this somewhat shorter service. Nice smoked salmon plate topped with a dollop of cream cheese and about 12 grains of caviar. Salad was again delicious - this time it actually came with the advertised Kalamata olive. I ordered the Sterling Silver tenderloin steak based on all the positive comments CO's steaks have received on www.airlinemeals.net and soon tucked into the starters.

The ride smoothed out briefly over Utah but immediately turned rough again crossing into Colorado south of Grand Junction. I'd call it continuous light, occasional moderate chop. This made me grateful that CO sees fit to include buttonholes in their F napkins, so I didn't have to worry about splashing food or drink on my shirt during the turbulence.

The wines offered were typical domestic offerings which is to say stuff that costs less than $10 a bottle in the grocery store. One red (a fair California Merlot) and one white (Canyon Road Chardonnay) were it. Didn't inquire about Champagne. I drank the red which was inoffensive but definitely not a premium wine.

The Sterling Silver steak was disappointing - it was neither large nor of really good quality and was on the far side of medium well. In other words, identical to the ubiquitous UA Filet Mignon. The cheddar-broccoli mashed potatoes looked nasty, while the steamed asparagus was surprisingly tasty and not overdone. On this flight, unlike the westbound 738 leg, we got what sort of looked like real salt and pepper shakers - until I realized they didn't come out of the little holder - you had to pick up the whole shebang and cover up the holes of the condiment you didn't want to dispense. It was made of chrome plastic but I guess it was better than paper packets.

I really liked the IFE on this plane. PTVs at every seat including Y. Better sound quality than most UA planes (as good as the A319/320). Great variety of audio. I did miss Channel 9 but there was more than enough music to occupy a 5+ hour trip without having to listen to the same program twice. On the 767 (unlike the 738), Airshow is available continuously on your PTV and it also displayed throughout the flight on overhead flat-screen displays. There were various movies available as well, though I was reading a book so didn't partake.

The ride finally smoothed out over the Front Range in Colorado.

Overall, this crew were SO much more attentive than on yesterday's flight. Prompt, friendly and utterly professional. Very very much like a SQ or CX medium haul J service...until they too hid toward the end of the flight.

After the lunch trays were picked up, ice cream was once again offered and I once again passed. It did look very good, I just don't like sweets. I had a decent cup of tea with milk and reclined my seat to relax for a while.

Then it happened again. Curtains to the forward galley were drawn shut and the sounds of FA chatter filtered back into the cabin, and all pretense of checking on First pax and serving drinks ceased. After two hours of lightly napping, finishing my book and watching Airshow, I got up to use the loo. Afterwards I poked my head into the galley and asked for a pre-landing drink. An FA brought it to me with a smile...but did they offer anyone else one? No. I'm sorry, but to me this is really not acceptable on a premium transcon service. Finally, as we began our descent over western Pennsylvania the lead F FA came round to see if I'd like a refill. But again, no checking with the other 34 F pax. It just doesn't seem right.

The sun was beginning to set as I spent the balance of the flight listening to CO's house-music channel and monitoring our progress toward the EWR arrival pattern on the Airshow map. From many trips into the NYC area on UA listening to Channel 9 I knew we'd be crossing the HAYED intersection at FL180 then being vectored for landing at EWR, which the Captain had announced would be on runway 04R. There must have been a substantial arrival backlog into EWR as we were vectored probably 30-40 miles further south than normal, flying at 5000 feet, before finally turning around to head northeast and land. We taxied as slowly as I've ever seen an airplane move under its own power and it took about 10 minutes to reach Gate 77, but at last we were there. After a mess getting out of the terminal (which was the Port Authority's doing, had nothing to do with CO as far as I could see), I found my driver and headed into NYC.

Conclusions:

While I found CO transcon F to be a pleasant change of pace from UA, and CO's food is hands-down better than anything I've had in recent memory on any domestic carrier, the disappearing flight attendants thing really hurt my impression of what otherwise could have been a superb flying experience. It's one thing to take a break; it's another altogether to ignore the entire F cabin for one-half of a transcontinental flight.

While I find CO's ground staff generally OK, I really, really like the attention I get from UA's people. UA's Easy services (especially EasyUpdate) are generally better than CO's, but CO wins the day on e-services with the ability to change seats using OLCI, not just at the airport kiosk. The EWR President's Clubs put UA's hub RCC's absolutely to shame, but the LAX PC was as bad as a lounge can get so I can't declare a huge advantage for CO's lounges overall.

It appears that CO only recently started using these beautiful 767-200's on a few of their transcon domestic runs. Most CO transcon flights are on narrowbody equipment, which especially on the 738 really just isn't fun on a flight of this length.

Part of the reason I chose CO for the trip was to get a widebody at least one direction. I had to fly out of EWR, not JFK, and UA's EWR-LAX service is all on narrowbody equipment. Any UA regulars whose only impression of 762 equipment is with UA's disgraceful 20-year old ones would do well to take a flight on a CO 762.

I'd fly CO again on this route, but only in confirmed F on widebody equipment both ways. On a narrowbody, CO's better food and EWR lounges aren't enough to overcome UA's better (IME) inflight service, ground staff, and above all, useful frequent flyer miles.

Edited to clean up formatting because I put this together this in a cr*p text editor after importing my in-flight Palm notes.

[This message has been edited by UAL_Rulez (edited Feb 26, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by UAL_Rulez (edited Feb 26, 2004).]
Old Feb 26, 2004, 11:36 am

Nice report - reflects my experiences pretty well (except I've had better luck with the shrimp ).

Just FYI - Elite Access does not give PC access. If you don't have a PC membership, or Amex plat, you'll need an international BusinessFirst ticket for "free" PC access.

The PC in LAX is not up to standard. Even in non-hub cities, there's usually bagels and cream cheese and stuff in the morning.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM+, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, & Hertz PC
Great write-up (quite the novel!)

I will agree with your frustration with the disappearing FAs. I thought I was the only one that really got peeved when they did that. Most of my legs they dilly dally in the galley and talk, so if you are trying to rest, good luck. If you are trying to flag them down, they are at least likely to see you after 10 minutes.

Old Feb 26, 2004, 6:01 pm

Programs: CO Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">On this flight, unlike the westbound 738 leg, we got what sort of looked like real salt and pepper shakers - until I realized they didn't come out of the little holder - you had to pick up the whole shebang and cover up the holes of the condiment you didn't want to dispense. It was made of chrome plastic but I guess it was better than paper packets.</font>
You just didn't try hard enough. The shakers definitely come out of their holder.

Good report! I've only been in the LAX club a few times and I don't remember it being that bad. At least it isn't in the doctor's waiting room style of some of the older NW WorldClubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.