BA First / CE - CGN to BOM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2004, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA LT Gold, AFKL ULTI, WOH Lifetime Globalist, Bonvoy Ambassador

BA 925, Cologne-London Heathrow, 04th January 2004, Club Europe, 1A
Take Off at 07.00 am, landing at 07.10 am London time

The Cologne airport is actually very nice as BA departs from the new Terminal 2. I was very late and the counter was just closing. But after putting my nicest smile at the lovely lady behind the counter she quickly opened it again with a smile on her face. As I was not able to return my rent a car to Sixt, I handed the key to her and she was more than happy to take care of it – a very nice touch, at other airlines staff would have not been able to cope with the “challenge”, not only in regard of the car, but also with re-opening the counter and tempting me to offer her a dinner the next time I am in town. Cologne has a Terraces Lounge in the basement, which I know from recent trips, but this time I had obviously not the time to visit.

Boarding was very smooth as I was the last one to get to the gate. Club Europe had five rows on this morning flight and besides me, 1A, only a couple was seated in row four on e and f (strange that people would willingly sit on a middle seat while the aisle is free, maybe they wanted to hold hands – which I did not check as there is no mirror up front). Because of de-icing the flight was slightly delayed but the very attractive attendant came around with magazines and hot towels and was up for a chat before take-off. The BA leather seats are in my point of view the best convertible cont seats in Europe. And Row 1 in particular offers a great deal of legroom, much more than Lufthansa, my normal first choice would ever dare to provide.

After take off breakfast was served. My only critic of this flight is that they brought the tray with a roll, jam, butter and a caned Orange juice and we had to wait another ten minutes until the egg with bacon and sausage arrived. And - no extra bread rolls where served or even on board. But nevertheless do I very much appreciate the warm breakfast, which is seldom on cont flights in Europe these days.

Also I was surprised that BA is still offering Duty Free on such a short flight. Which gave me the perfect opportunity to buy the charming girl in the very out of style uniform one of those Cadbury hearts and be thankful for providing me with extra strong morning coffee.

Landing in London was on time and the taxi to our gate at terminal 1 quiet short.

My overall impression was very good. I felt comfortable and well served. I was happy that I did not follow my desire to gain some extra miles for the LH account. They fly on this route a Canadair Jet, which cramped environment I do not appreciate at all.

BA 139, London Heathrow – Mumbai, 04th. January, First, 1A
Take Off at 10.35 London Time, landing at 00.10 Mumbai Time

The transfer from Terminal 1 to Terminal 4 was very smooth that Sunday morning, so I arrived at the Lounge Pavillion in Terminal 4 already at 07.40. I made my way directly to the Spa to book a massage. First I was told that everything was booked, but after seeing my Boarding Pass the guy behind the counter “squeezed” me in at 09.00.

From there it was just up the stairs to the Concorde Room. I have never had the time to visit so far and have to say that I was impressed. As a smoker I can only recommend this to any of my fellow smokers, red plush sofas in a very smart environment. Normally smoking rooms tend to be horrible so that people leave asap, but this one was a real delight. I ordered a nice bacon sandwich from the extensive lounge menu. It came bedded on a wooden tray and extras like mayonnaise, ketchup and some extra lettuce where lovely arranged very classy in small pots around the main platter. And wonder – not used to from BA anywhere – real silverware to cut the bites. Overall def. one of the nicest lounges I visited so far, because it offers you Restaurant service (and I mean service by someone actually serving you) not the normal buffet style breakfast hall ambience of a 4 star hotel. Combined with the design, the freshly squeezed juices and an extensive wine menu it def. sets standards.

Back at the Spa at nine the massage was a nice touch and it did this time last half an hour, before I always just got fifteen minutes. I had a short shower and felt great.

From there I went refreshed directly to gate 4, where almost everyone had already boarded. Funny: At least ten people where queuing at the Fast Track gate whereas I just popped in the normal line where only one guy was in front of me.

First Class this morning just had two other passengers (3A and 4A), which was very much appreciated from my side. I like privacy on flights and this one def. had enough of it. I was handed the wash bag and ordered Champagne, which by the way was this time Perrier Jouet, even though the menu quoted the Piper-Heidsieck Rare. The nuts where warm and salty, just as I like them.

Take off was on time and there where no delays while taxiing. After the millions of announcements of the cabin crew the captain announced a flight time of seven hours fifty minutes and a smooth flight. After take off I got a fresh glass of champagne and the appetizer, which consisted of the typical Indian Tikkas. The purser, an old Englishmen introduced himself and already apologized for the fact that of the four red wines only two and of the three white wines only one where loaded. I did not mind as my red wine choice was available and my temptation of sticking with Champagne for the starter was overwhelming me.

BA offers to choose when and what you want for meal service. The Menu is attached at the end of this report for better reading.

I chose to start with the salmon, then had the Duck Confit Salad and the Lamb. The salmon was good, but the Salad turned out to be a disaster as I am allergic to nuts and BA nowhere in the menu wrote something about walnuts everywhere in the salad. So I had to make some room in my stomach and was fine again. The lamb was very fat and came with the celeriac mash from the Halibut (I hate celery). Rice pudding sounded good, but instead of a pudding consisting of rice, this Indian specialty was made of chinese noodles – not bearable. But I did not give up on BA and tried, after convinving from the kind attendant, the Pudding, which turned out to be excellent. Maybe I would describe the meal in short words – Fly British, eat British (which does not imply that British food is bad, quiet the opposite, but British tend not to be able to cook something that is, well, not British).

But I did not really mind about the food as my main objective is comfort and the BA Seat def. is comfortable. The only thing I do not like is the head support, as it is disturbing me when in flat position (any advise regarding this would be highly appreciated). I am a side sleeper and have no space to put my arms because of that strange, mountain like designed obstacle. Also pillows do not help, because it does not solve the fact that it is uncomfortable not to be able to put my arms somewhere.

After lunch I watched the In-law movie with Michael Douglas (actually I remember better movies of this actor). The quality of the tape, the recorder and especially the headphones was miserable. I do not understand the logic in having so many channels and tapes if one cannot bear the sound of the headphones. All the cracking, the ongoing switch of the tone to just one ear, which only could be adjusted by playing with the plug. I assume some airlines have even better headphones in Economy. But this, besides the kitchen, was the only thing I missed about the crane, as I am normally a hardcore Lufthansa flyer.

Then I rested, tired from the extensive meal. It was good and because I had my own Discman I chilled out for a few hours lying down and listening to my newly acquired Hed Kandi sampler.

Before landing I tried the bacon roll and the scones, which also turned out to be excellent. In the future I will try on BA only the English items on the menu.

Landing cards where distributed and the purser came around to say goodbye, personally thanking me for choosing BA. He really understood his job and it somehow felt good that someone appreciated my business.

Landing was a few minutes early. The jetty was pushed against the middle exit so that half the plane was off before we from the front where able to even get close to the exit (God praise the Upper Deck F Class). But thanks to an Indian residency permit I was able to quit the queue. My three bags all came as one of the first and I was happy to leave the airport before most others did.

My overall impression again was very good. BA knows their job as a premium carrier. The space and privacy is by far not matched from Lufthansa with their double seaters and I will choose BA’s service more often now.

My only advise after this flight is to bring your own noise canceling headphones with a walkman plug if you are keen on good entertainment and do not expect to find fancy food and wines.

A good flight to wherever you go to all of you fellow Flyertalkers!

Menu (apparently used for December and January)

Smoked Salmon
Loch Fyne smoked salmon with dill crème fraiche

Indian Appetiser
Onion bhaji, medu wada, mini masala dosa and fried okra

Soup
Butternut squash and coconut soup

Salad
Fresh salad leaves with your choice of citrus vinaigrette, Pommery Dijon mustard mayonnaise or extra virgin olive oil.

Sandwiches
Selection of Sandwiches including poached salmon, squat lobster mayonnaise, chicken Ceasar and roast vegetables with cream cheese

Bacon
Hot bacon roll

Lamb
Braised lamb shank with rosemary jus

Halibut
Roast halibut with leek confit and celeriac mash

Indian Vegetarian
Sukhi mixed vegetables, yellow rice and dal kabuli

Duck Confit Salad
Duck confit, foi gras and fresh beans with bitter orange dressing

Pannetone
Pannetone and marmalde pudding

Sheer Kurma
Rice Pudding

Scones
Warm fruit scones with clotted cream and strawberry preserve

Patisserie
Fruit cake, ginger Madeleine, walnut brownie and raspberry cranachan

Cheese
Hereford Hop, Shropshire Blue and Brie cheese

Fruit
A basket of fresh fruit

Beverages
Espresso, Cappucino, coffee, decaf, tea or herbal tea

Champage
Piper Heidsieck Rare (but it was Perrier Jouet)

White Wines
Saint Aubin Premier Cru Les Cortons 2001, Roux Pere et Fils

Pouilly Fume Les Griottes 2002, Jean Pierre Bailly

Pinot Grigio, Isonzo de Friulli, 2002, Borgo dei Vassalli (only one available)

Red Wines
Chateau Grand Pontet 1996, Saint Emilion Grand Cru Classe

Frei Brothers Reseve Russian River Valley Pinot Noir 2001

Cornas Nobles Rives 1999, Cave de Tain L’Hermitage

Dessert Wines
Chivite Coleccion 125 Vendemia Tardia 2000

Warre’s 1986 Reserve Tawny Port

Spirit, Digestif and Liquers
- the normal -

Soft Drinks
Coke etc.

Old Jan 5, 2004, 1:15 pm

very nice first post- welcome to FT!
Old Jan 5, 2004, 2:41 pm

Question:

In one paragraph you say that "The nuts where warm and salty, just as I like them." Yet the next paragraph you talk about how you are allergic to nuts and had a problem with the walnuts in the salad. What's with that?

Not trying to bust your chops. It just so happens that I am also allergic to nuts so your 'nut experience' hits close to home. I know very well that inflight meals are always a bit dangerous because the FAs never really know the full ingredient list of everything served.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA LT Gold, AFKL ULTI, WOH Lifetime Globalist, Bonvoy Ambassador
Batboy - wowh, it is really great to see how much attention you put into the post. This I find the most amazing thing about Flyertalk.com, everything is so detailed and one learns things never imagined.

Yes, you are right there is a discrepancy. Actually I am allergic against any kind of walnuts, cashews are no problem and I actually enjoy eating them. But walnuts, I do not know why, are just making me lose it.

I also share your view that airlines do not take care enough in terms of food "disabilities", even though those are very common today.

Thank you for your reply!
Old Jan 6, 2004, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">listening to my newly acquired Hed Kandi sampler.</font>
Ooooo.......which one? Not Hed Kandi 1 by any chance?

[Nice report by the way. Interesting your flight time was only 7h50....that's almost a Gulf-time]
Old Jan 6, 2004, 11:50 am

Programs: AA/UA/BA
dupe!

[This message has been edited by 777Brit (edited Jan 06, 2004).]
Old Jan 6, 2004, 11:50 am

Programs: AA/UA/BA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MumbaiDan:
Maybe I would describe the meal in short words – Fly British, eat British (which does not imply that British food is bad, quiet the opposite, but British tend not to be able to cook something that is, well, not British).
</font>
Nice report overall and I found it useful to read as I'm flying BA First in 1A next week to HKG.

I have to pull you up on one thing though. You're confusing British (or English?) cuisine with airline cuisine. They're two entirely different things. Contrary to popular belief, Brits can actually be darn good cooks!

Presumably you've heard of Jamie Oliver, Richard Corrigan, Anthony Worrall-Thompson, Marco Pierre White et al?

Anyway, apart from that, good first report, thanks for your valuable contribution to FT.

Oh, how did you find the comfort and privacy in 1A, and what about the forward view?
Old Jan 6, 2004, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Richard Corrigan</font>
Indeed, Richard is on the BA Culinary Council, so has a direct input into F catering. http://www.britishairways.com/travel.../public/en_gb. He can be found most of the time whipping up masterpieces at Lindsays in London.

(Although I prefer Hartnett at the Grill these days....)
Old Jan 6, 2004, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Great report!

My wife is also allergic to walnuts, although she has the tongue swelling variety.

Greg
Old Jan 6, 2004, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
What a great report! I enjoyed reading the menu. The salmon is delicious. It was very nice of you to buy the chocolates for the FA.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 11:17 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MumbaiDan:
But thanks to an Indian residency permit I was able to quit the queue. </font>
Just curious why this would have made a difference? My experience with BOM (10-15 times/yr for 20+ yrs) has always been that short of knowing someone or bribing someone, there is no special line for anyone - especially not for Indian citizens/residents. I don't use Terminal II-A too often though, so maybe things are different there.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 6:45 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 777Brit:

Presumably you've heard of Jamie Oliver, Richard Corrigan, Anthony Worrall-Thompson, Marco Pierre White et al?
</font>
Not to mention Delia and Ainsley..

MinS

Old Jan 8, 2004, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

B747-437B - there is a special queue for Indian Residency holders/passports, which is on average much faster. It exists since over a year now. I have experienced it not only in Mumbai, but also in Delhi and Chennai on arrival.

When it comes to departures something similar unfortunately does not exist if you are not holding a diplomatic passport or have an airline pass.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 6:45 am

Thanks for the TR. Will be flying the LHR-BOM route this year and now know what to expect.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 3:53 pm

there is a special queue for Indian Residency holders/passports, which is on average much faster. It exists since over a year now. I have experienced it not only in Mumbai, but also in Delhi and Chennai on arrival.</font>
Have not seen it in either Mumbai II-A nor Mumbai II-C nor Delhi and I've been through all of those many multiple times in the last year. They just have a single awful queue with the tensabarriers. You must have gotten lucky.

[This message has been edited by B747-437B (edited Jan 10, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.