Search

NRT-HKG-LAX on CX first class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2004, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

NRT-HKG-LAX on CX first class

NRT-HKG-CX First Class

Arrival
Having just disembarked from JL 001 I was able to quickly get to the connecting bus which runs frequently between terminal 2 where the JL flight landed and terminal 1 where CX is located. As I did not have a boarding pass I was able to check in at the CCX lounge there I received my pass. Incidentally the CX lounge at NRT is much nicer than the Admirals club. Snacks include mini sandwiches and various flavor rice balls. I love the tuna rice balls that I have every time I visit this lounge. Also the CX lounge has wireless access.

Flight 451 which stops in TPE before heading out to HKG was over 2 hours late in taking off and as I found out later CX 505 and CX 451 had a PLANE swap so that the 747 400 I was on actually was the 747 originally headed for TPE. Because of the problem with CX 451 the Cathay lounge was incredibly busy. I have never seen the employees run around so much. But there was never a lack of food or drink that was consistently replenished.

Boarding
Boarding was a zoo. There must be a better way. I decided to relax until all passengers were on board. Just as I was about to board the service people asked me to switch seats from 4A to 1K. No problem. I boarded and really loved 1K . Very private. The plane was a bit delayed taking . The guy sitting in 1A was making a connection to ZRH and was VERY concerned that he would not make the flight. Our FA assured the passenger that time would be made up in flight…but this did not suffice and the captain had to be contacted. Oh well….indeed the flight arrived on schedule. Before departure plane we were given mixed nuts…including these FABULOS wasabi flavored nuts ( anyone know where to purchase these?) Upon departure Menus were handed out.

MENU
WESTERN MEAL
APPETIZER
Smoked Norwegian Salmon with Asparagus

SOUP
French Onion Soup served with Onion Crackers

MAIN COURSES
Beef Fillet with Bearnaise Red Wine Sauce
Steamed Cod with Black Mushrooms and Chinese Ham
Ricotta Cannelloni with Semi-sundried Tomato Sauce and Béchamel Sauce with Baked Vegetables

ACCOMPANIMENTS
Fondant Potatoes, Egg Fried Rice with Spring Onion Selection of Western or Oriental Vegetables

CHEESE BOARD

FRESH SEASONAL FRUITS

DESSERT
Baked Ricotta Cheesecake

BREAD BASKET
TEA AND COFFEE

PRALINES

JAPANESE MEAL

CANAPES
Rolled Salmon and turnip
Chicken Terrine
Salmon Roe
Lobster with Wasabi Mayonnaise
Braised Duck
Black Soya Bean Skewer

LIQUEUR
Green Apple Wine with Soda

APPETIZER
Miso Poached Salmon
Teriyaki Prawn
Grilled Salmon with Egg Yolk
Deep-Fried Ginger
Baby Shredded Ginger Pickled
Chrysanthemum Leaves

SOUP
Clear Soup
Lemon Green Zest
Boiled Snapper with Shrimp Paste Roll

BRAISED DISH
Roast Tofu
Crab Fin with An Sauce
Shiitake Mushroom
Carrot Flower
Marinated Snow Peas

VINEGAR DISH
Blanched Surt Clam
Marinated Cucumber
Crumple Onion
Egg Yolk Vinegar

HOT ENTRÉE
Pan-Fried Beef Tenderloin
Boiled Shredded Burdock
Soya Bean Paste
Marinated Show Peas

NOODLES
Soba Noodle
Ume Somen Noodle
Blanched Shrimp
Wasabi Paste
Egg Sheet Julienne

RICE DISH
Steamed Rice
Miso Soup

ASSORTED PICKLES

FRUIT
Fresh Seasonal Fruits

Beverages
Ginjyo-Sake
Green Tea
Mineral Water

All and all a great flight. I really enjoyed the 4 hour flight in the CX sleeper seats. Anyone who can I would advise taking this flight rather than the business class flights so commonly employed on this route ENJOY…..

CX 882 HKG-LAX

Arrival
I originally was suppose to go from HKG-JFK on CX 888 which was part of my OWE ticket. At the very last minute I really had to get back to LA quickly. I was staying at the Regal Airport Hotel overnight and decided to head to the airport to try and see if I could get on the non stop flight to LAX. If you are unfamiliar with the HKG airport, the Regal Airport is physically connected to the airport via a walkway. I feel it is the most convenient airport hotel in the world. It has a wonderful gym and spa for those of you interested.
Anyway I checked on our availability tool as to the feasibility of getting on the HKG-LAX flight. Load was F4 A4. I had a AONE5 ticket. SO I though that I had a chance. Now here is the real unusual thing. My OWE started in NRT. The next flight was to be my first intercontinental segment which really should not be changed. BUT, because I had an emergency situation, the folks at CX made an exception. They were FANTASTIC….. After an hour the folks at CX had a reissued ticket and I was able to call my family and tell them I would be home early. I had a four hour layover at HKG. THE WING….HERE I COME. Besides a lunch of sushi, dim sum, sandwiches ( I think the tuna on carrot bread is really good) and couple of ginger ales, I accessed the Internet and it was time to board . Here we come gate 2.

Boarding
Although boarding was not delayed, the plane did not leave HKG for an hour, because of an engine problem. However, the great ground staff was able to fix the engine in less than 30 minutes. Four “tech” trucks were seen around the plane in less than 5 minutes as well.
I was given seat 3A which is a window seat in a 12 seat first class compartment. Great seat and VERY private. NO sooner than I had sat down than I was offered a drink of my choice with a snack of marinated seafood in a nori basket with curry sauce. Quite delicious and served even before takeoff. Because of the delay in the takeoff, menus were handed out. CX usually hands out the menus after takeoff. Here is the menu transcript:

DINNER

CAVIAR and BALIK SALMON DELIGHT
Ocsietra Caviar and Balik Salmon served with Warm New Potatoes and Crème Fraiche

SOUP
Spinach Cream Soup served with Mini Garlic Baguette

SALAD
Grilled Vegetable and Crostini Salad with Roast Sweet Garlic and Balsamic Vinegar

MAIN COURSES
Sauteed Prawns with Kung Po Sauce Steamed Rice and Stir-fried Pak Choy

Grilled Beef Tenderloin with Natural Gravy and Forest Mushrooms Jackson Potato and Medley of Vegetables

Ricotta Cannelloni with Baked Vegetables, Semi Sun-dried Tomato and Bechamel Sauce

Braised Chicken with Sliced Abalone Steamed Rice and Pak Choy

CHEESE BOARD

DESSERT SELECTION
Lemon Crème Brulee Tart
Almond Chocolate Pudding
Vanilla Ice Cream with Mixed Berries Compote

BREAD BASKET

TEA AND COFFEE

PRALINES AND COOKIES

REFRESHMENTS
Noodles in Soup with Braised Beef Brisket
Wild Mushrooms Ragout with Asparagus on Toasted Ciabatta
Plain Congee with Dried Scallop and Ginkgo Nut served with Spring Onion Pancake
Preserved Vegetable and Meat Patty on Rice in Hot Pot served with Green Radish, Carrots and Beef Calf Soup

Ice Cream

BRUNCH
JUICE SELECTION

APPETIZER
Fresh Seasonal Fruits

MAIN COURSES
Omelette with Ham and Fine Herbs
Chinese Dim Sum
Steam and Mushroom Pie

ACCOMPANIMENTS
Grilled Lamb Noisette, Back Bacon and Pork Sausage, Parmentier Potaotes, Broiled Tomato with Parsley and Sauteed Fresh Mushroom

BREAD BASKET

TEA AND COFFEE

Champagne was KRUG. The cabin went through a couple of bottles . Unfortunately I do not drink so I cannot comment but according to what I read on these boards, this is a wonderful brand. Next up Domestic flights on my AONE5

Old Feb 1, 2004, 9:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Yumm...we love Krug...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, LMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Feb 2, 2004, 4:10 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
I will be in CX First NRT-TPE-HKG in summer and enjoyed your report as a preview, thanks.

Do you know if the menu is similar on the flight via TPE? If so, is there any additional service between TPE and HKG? And how long is the stop in Taipeh, do passengers have to disembark?

Thanks again.

------------------
truly yours. airOli.
March 1st 2004: Morgestraich Do!
Old Feb 2, 2004, 7:48 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by airoli:
Do you know if the menu is similar on the flight via TPE? If so, is there any additional service between TPE and HKG? And how long is the stop in Taipeh, do passengers have to disembark?</font>
The food is completely different NRT-TPE and not quite as good. Still excellent but the NRT-HKG non-stop has special service (and very expensive catering, particularly the kaiseki meal). The stop in TPE is about an hour and you can stay on board, but I recommend a visit to the museum gift shop located at the airport which has some very nice replicas of the best chinese art collection in the world (not quite your average airport shopping experience). Another meal is served on the short TPE-HKG leg and this can be substantial in F (I remember getting rack of lamb once and being amazed, but that was pre-SARS and it may have been scaled back since then).
There is no question that NRT-TPE-HKG is treated as a poor cousin to NRT-HKG, but it is still quite enjoyable.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 6:31 am

Yeh, I agree. Change to the non-stop if you can.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 10:42 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Ok, thank you, will try to get on the nonstop flight then. I am already confimed on the nonstop HKG-NRT on the outbound.

------------------
truly yours. airOli.
March 1st 2004: Morgestraich Do!
Old Feb 4, 2004, 2:29 am

Welcome to Heaven. Great report.

It is amazing to have all that wonderful food on an airplane. The sick part is you get all that good food at the Wing, then you get on the plane at midnight and they serve you a fantastic, delicious meal with such incredible pampering.

You have to admit Cathay does wonders.

"If you are unfamiliar with the HKG airport, the Regal Airport is physically connected to the airport via a walkway. I feel it is the most convenient airport hotel in the world."

I love this hotel, BUT: the rooms are too small and need to be increased, if not doubled. Otherwise, it is like a freaking resort in the middle of an airport. I love swimming in their resort like pool after a long flight.

Have you tried their Sunday brunch? yummm

As for best airport hotel, ehhhhhhhh, maybe after the Toronto Airport Sheraton, Paris CDG Shearaton, and Melbourne Airport Hilton.

I do love their views of the field, that might be the best of any airport hotel.

------------------
YAS+

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.