Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London - New York BA 175 June 2002

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:38 am
Original Poster

London - New York BA 175 June 2002

Hello every one. This is a 2 year old report Iam posting, Hope you all enjoy it. Please feel free to mail me at [email protected] or online for any comments. More frequent reports will be available soon!

British Airways

London (LHR) – New York (JFK)June 2002

After catching the early morning flight from Geneva, I transferred to Terminal 4 for the onward flight to New York.
The transfer is quite picturesque, as they take you on a great tour of the airport apron.

The First class / Concorde Room is beautiful, but it does tend to get a bit cramped up, especially, at peak morning hours. The canapés were fresh and delicious (reception sandwiches and smoked salmon crudités); Louise Pommery Rosé Champagne flowed (a bit early, but very welcome at any time!). The rooms, were bright, with reception areas, Internet worktops, and staff to cater to all passengers, the only flipside, they do not announce the flights.

The flight was boarding from gate 2, which as luck would have it, is on the other side of the terminal, which is one hell of a walk from the Lounge. Thank god for the moving walkways!

The flight was on time, and I managed to get to the seat of my choice (2A) AFTER a long and very tedious security check, at the gate. The senior flight purser greeted me warmly, by name (most airlines, don’t pay attention to such small details) and showed me to my seat, and after taking my over-coat and jacket, inquired whether I would like a drink. I asked for a glass of champagne, which was perfect, which, was Krug Grande Cuvée. (An excellent choice, at any time, any day!)

Within 15minutes, the flight was fully loaded, and ready to depart. After the usual safety demonstrations (and video) we taxied towards runway 09L, which is a good 10 min taxi. While waiting to ascend into the skies in the new “21st Century Travel” FIRST Seat, which is very comfortable, I perused the Menu (the long walk, and the thought of a 7 ½ hour flight which is only a good combination if flying on a flat bed had made me quite famished!) which was very interesting:

First Course

Prawn & Mango Salad with a Chili mango dressing

Shaun Hill's asparagus with hollandaise sauce

Leek and Truffle soup

Fresh Seasonal Salad
Served with choice of citrus vinaigrette, Pommery Dijon Mustard mayonnaise or extra virgin olive oil

Main Course

Michel Roux's Rump of lamb en brioche with seasonal vegetables

Shaun Hill's poached Loch Duart Salmon
With lemon herb sauce and seasonal vegetables

*A timbalé of Mediterranean vegetables with sauce vierge

Freshly cooked pasta
With your choice of creamy smoked salmon sauce or
Tomato, olive and chili salsa with freshly grated Parmesan Cheese

Always Available

The great all-day English breakfast

A selection of reception sandwiches including
Poached salmon with cucumber
Brie with cranberry, roast beef with horseradish and chicken Caesar

Warm fruit scone with clotted cream and strawberry preserve

Chicken tikka Masala

Hot bacon roll

Cheese, Dessert and Fruit

Worchester Gold, Gubbeen,
Somerset Camembert, Roucoulons and Oxford Blue Cheese

Queen of Puddings

Warm treacle tart with vanilla ice cream

Fresh Fruit

Beverages

Espresso, cappuccino, coffee
Or decaffeinated coffee

A choice of teas

Chocolates

The FIRST wine cellar

Champagne

Krug Brut, Grande Cuvée

White wine

Château Gaudrelle, 1998, Vouvray Sec

Mersault Les Narvaux, 1999, Vincent Girardin

Wente Riva Ranch Reserve Monterey Chardonnay, 1998

Geyser Peak Russian River Valley Chardonnay, 2000

Red Wines

Château Lynch-Moussas, 1995, Grand Cru Classe Pauillac

De Loach Russian River Cabernet Sauvignon, 1998

Cornish Point Cornishtown Pinot Noir, 2000

Dessert Wine

Opitz Pinot Gris / Pinot Blanc Trokenbeerenauslese, 1998

Port

Warre's, 1986, Reserve Tawny Port

The flight purser suggested, that as it was a long flight, I should go the “whole-hog” and enjoy a sumptuous feast. He laid out the table, dark blue tablecloth and napkin, white/gold trimmed Royal Daulton dishes, and plastic flatware, individual salt and pepper mills, and a basket of warm bread, rolls, and garlic toasts.

I had the Asparagus (fat, thick, and juicy with the perfect amount of hollandaise – a total calorie bomb!) and salmon (moist, tender, and fresh, with a yummy tangy sauce) and ended with the treacle tart, and an over generous helping of ice cream (he read my mind!!!) washed down with a dubious amount (which was topped ever so often) of Krug and a glass of Mersault (lively, fresh, with hedonistic aromas that just go for the kill!!!) I felt I really was in heaven! (The hot chocolate with baileys was perfect to end such a fine meal) Two movies, three comedies, and a light nap, (during which the bottle of Highland Spring Mineral water was discreetly replenished several times) we were flying over Canada, the afternoon service, started. The sandwiches were fresh and beautifully presented. Feeling guilty of being a total hog, I skipped the pastries, but had a delicious cup of strong coffee, which as far as airline coffees go, was just amazing! At this point, I really believe, that BA can really do no wrong!

Landing at New York was beautiful, as we glided over the sea, to make a quick landing. The purser, promptly came with my overcoat and jacket, shook my hand and wished me a wonderful stay. The BA terminal was under repair, so not much could be said, but the “Priority Tags” definitely helped in clearing baggage faster.

All in all, BA FIRST is a bit on the expensive side, but definitely worth, every cent of it. The service is warm, friendly, and the “holier than thou” attitude the flight attendants had, which earned BA the nick “Bloody Awful” has definitely changed for the better. I definitely agree that BA FIRST is the definitive “21st Century” way of traveling; after all their motto is correctly, “To Fly, To Serve”
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:40 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Still a fabulous report nonetheless...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, LMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:41 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
PS - Welcome aboard to FT !

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, LMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:49 pm

Great report! Nice to see someone who really enjoyed the flight instead of spending the time looking for flaws and offenses. And I was especially pleased to see the Wente Riva Ranch as one of the wines offered (though I wouldn't have expected it in First) as I live just a few miles from Wente Vineyards.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Great report! I've spent more than a few hours ensconced in BA's First Class and I couldn't agree with you more that it is indeed one the finest ways possible to mosey about our fair planet! Hopefully, in this era of cutbacks and declining service, BA's First will not lose too much of its well deserved lustre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.