Wiki Posts
Search

AS F EWR-SEA-LAX-SEA-LAX-PDX-EWR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2003, 1:10 am
Original Poster

AS F EWR-SEA-LAX-SEA-LAX-PDX-EWR

Dear folks,

Here is final trip in order to make the last of my 35 segments on Alaska and Horizon. Unfortunately, this is only the most disappointing trip and I am shocked that catering changes have already hit first class, rather than beginning next year. This trip originally is my farewell to hot dinner flight on SEA-LAX for the past five years (to me). I remember my first ever Alaska trip is on first class from Los Angeles to Vancouver, and the service is surprisingly good with a full dinner including a nice chicken Wellington entrée and an ice-cream dessert. That is what starts my relationship with Alaska. There are changes throughout these years and catering cutbacks are always there. But I think it is just the way for AS to survive, but these recent changes are a bit harder for me personally to take. I don’t foresee the downfall for Alaska, but my flights with Alaska and Horizon will definitely reduce a bit in the future. I know someone don’t like way of thinking, but am frank with my feelings. Anyway, folks, please eat before flying Alaska on the West coast flights, and Alaska… please let us know what is your exact plan now! Passengers are asking F/As and F/As don’t know what to say.

December 12, 2003
AS 11 EWR-SEA Lv0830 Arr1127
Boeing 737-700 N644AS
New York was a bit windier than normal, but the weather is fair. I took the morning train to Newark. I was definitely not awake this morning, but made it to the security line. In general, the TSA agents are pretty high. Don’t know why, but they love to yell and scream. Anyway, I headed to the President’s Club and got a light breakfast. I headed to gate A27, the designated AS gate, around 7:50am. Boarding begins three minutes later and the usual Alaskan true water and Wall Street Journal is placed on each console. The F/As were very experienced and were fine in general, but they made many announcements… a bit excessive… they went so far as announcing that they were picking up trashes, but I guess I was not just in the mood. Sadly the Bank of American visa announcement was back after the snack service. Anyway, door was closed ten minutes later and headed to Runway 4L five minutes later. Following a Virgin’s A340-300 G-VELD with brand new livery, we lifted off at 8:44am. Flying time was five hours and eighteen minutes, and we climbed all the way up to 39,000ft.

Breakfast service began at 9:28am with beverage first, and then the fruit plate, which has two slices of pineapples, kiwis, strawberries, and 3 slices of oranges, accompanied by a cranberry scone. Entrée choices are Cheddar Cheese Omelet or the muffin with scrambled egg, smoked salmon, and salsa, topped with Hollandaise sauce, and rosemary potatoes. I had the muffin, which I described many times before. I have a feeling that I will have this meal again next Sunday. Well, after breakfast, I went to sleep. When I reclined my seat, the passenger behind me told me to put it back up because I reclined into her lap. The woman was slightly overweight but I don’t think it is right to ask your passenger not to recline your seat unless it is mealtime. But she keeps on asking me to put my seat up and even I reclined like a little bit. I ended up trying to sit in the upright position. Of course, it was not a great sleep. What should I do?

About an hour and half prior to arrival, the snack plate was passed out with our choice of beverage. The snack plate was a fruit and Camembert plate. Fruit was poached pear marinated with pepper, figs, apples, cashews, and two Camembert wedges, accompanied by two Hawaiian sesame crackers and a pack of mixed nuts. Y got the detour protein bars. The F/As made a purpose to announce the product. I had a feeling that Alaska might find another source of revenue by promoting products. Hot towels were passed out after descent began. We landed on Runway 16L at 11:02amPST and parked at gate N7. We were parked between two United’s Boeing 777s N767UA and N216UA.

AS 524 SEA-LAX Lv1312 Arr1542
MD-83 N976AS
Gate was C1 this afternoon and I boarded among the first group of passengers. Water bottles were placed in the console and the F/A hung up jackets. Door was closed at 1:16pm and the flight was pretty full. We pushed back within a few minutes and headed to Runway 16L. We took off at 1:30pm and flying time was an hour and fifty-four minutes with a cruising attitude of 29,000ft. There was a nice tail wind this afternoon. The new meal service had already in effect with both first and economy class. Indeed the meal service is identical for my next three segments. So it will be an easy trip report to write.

Here is the description of the brand new lunch and dinner service for all Alaska flights in the West Coast. It is the usual one tray service with a choice of
Grilled chicken breast slices on top of a curried wild rice salad, accompanied by a warm roll
Or
Sliced turkey and herb mayonnaise on a French onion baguette accompanied by a wheat penne pasta salad
I had the sandwich – it was okay but after three sandwiches in a roll within twenty-four hours, it gets tiring.

Dessert – Ghiradelli’s mint chocolate square

Coach got beverage and chips. I don’t know what it is. I looked back but am not sure what that is. There is no announcement. It is okay for lunch, but was disappointed that the hearty salad option that the frequent flyers got reduced to a plate of sandwich. As one of my neighbors remark, it was like coach food placed in a plate, but I told him they don’t even get a sandwich in the back now. We just both sighed. To be honest, I am fine with such lunch but dinner needs to be a heartier one. I guess I don’t expect the return of the hot dinner, but can you at least served a warm sandwich or have a warm component, like a soup? You can’t cut back like this and expect no one to notice it.

Anyway, the flight continued and we landed on Runway 24R at 3:24pm. I was able to catch the glimpse of the Swiss’ A340-300 HB-JMB. I guess Swiss has formally switch to A340-300 on the LAX route now. We parked at gate 31A after the LX taxied out and headed to Runway 25.

An afternoon of plane spotting at the LAX boardroom – HA’s Boeing 767 with mid-cabin exits N588HA, NZ’s Boeing 747-400 ZK-SUH with GE engines, and ZK-NBT with Rolls Royce engines, KLM’s Boeing 747 Combi PH-BFU “Beijing”, and Frontier’s A319 N907FR with the goat livery.

AS 519 LAX-SEA Lv1718 Arr2001
MD-83 N962AS
Depart from Gate 31B! Boarding began at 4:47pm and entered a dark plane. The auxiliary power is not on because they are fixing something. Then we got our water and the F/As took entrée orders as F class passengers settled. Half of the passengers were shocked to hear the salad or sandwich option. They were almost sure that it was a dinner flight. Well, the F/As said that she did not know anything but it was to cut cost and save the company. Whatever! My neighbor asked her again and she told him that they were not sure what they were serving till last minute. Then I told my neighbor that it was the Christmas present we get from Alaska. Anyway, he is not pleased and says that he always appreciates the nice dinner on this evening flight. He told me that Alaska service has really deteriorated for the past ten to fifteen years. I guess he has some truth but the airline environment is different. Anyway, we pushed back at 5:22pm and headed to Runway 24L and lifted off at 5:31pm. Flying time was a two hours and eighteen minutes.

Service was the same as above, but the F/As had passed out cashews after dinner. I was actually surprised that the meal choices are the same, but I guess AS double catered the plane too. However, can Alaska serve something different for dinner? There are so many kinds of sandwiches and salads AS can serve. Also for dinner, I think passengers want something heartier. Serve a nice warm sandwich or a larger salad – I guess the old salad seems to be popular among folks. That is not too expensive to serve. Plus the Ghiradelli’s chocolate squares do not cut it. I don’t need fancy chocolate (well I don’t know if Ghiradelli is a name brand), but can you at least serve a cookie or a brownie – even prepackaged? Serve something heartier for dinner. That is the minimal that Alaska can do. For coach, there are the bulk style snacks.

We landed on a rainy evening around 8:04pm at Runway 16R and parked at gate C3 shortly after.

December 13, 2003 SEA-LAX Lv1826 Arr2059
Boeing 737-700 N623AS
Try to standby for an earlier flight, but first class is full. So I decide to hang out at the Board room and finish my 24 pages paper. It was a nice place to hang out and the BR is a bit quiet in the weekend. I had some drinks and waited a bit. My flight got in from Orange County a bit earlier and it was switched to a –700 instead of the normal –400… nice changes from two MD-80 flights in a row.

We took off from Runway 16L at 6:36pm and flying time was a quick two hours and seven minutes with a cruising attitude of 41,000ft. Tim, our F/A, was a great one, and I knew that he wore a boxer. (Miranda the other F/A and him was having a chat when I walked in. Trust me, she asked the question after some of the F class folks came in. I had to try very hard to stop laughing and imagining thing in my mind. Water bottles were there, and we got out with 12F, 69Y + two lap babies. I guess we don’t need a –400 on this flight.

Tim was really good in keeping our drinks refilled and everyone had a good flight. Lots of transiting passengers to Australia and India via SQ… QF should really update their information on AS magazine and tells folks that SYD flights were departing from Terminal four now. Dinner was the same as yesterday, except it was a Ghiradelli’s milk chocolate square (no more mint). Well, Y class surprisingly got a Ham & Swiss sandwich and a Christmas cookie. I don’t see the basket, but I guess AS is changing its mind. I don’t know what is going on here. Anyway, I wish we got Christmas cookies up front too. A passenger in first asked for his coach class special meal. I guess AS did not inform passengers that special meals are no longer available. Well the gate reads “snack” service but I guess this catering change is a bit rush.

Descent on a beautiful night at LA area began at 8:22pm and we landed on Runway 24R at 8:43pm sharp and parked at gate 30. I saw the elegant CX’s A340-600 parked opposite from us at the Tom Bradley international terminal. Unfortunately, I could not get the registration number because of the catering truck.

Now sitting in the Hilton LAX… I had a room looking over Runway 25… bad… I had less than five hours of sleep tonight…

Thanks for reading the report!

Carfield

PS. The rest of the report will come a bit later.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 5:42 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Gracias Carfield...

Always love when you make a new post...

Merry Christmas...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, LMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Dec 15, 2003, 1:13 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Thanks Carfield, I came to Trip Reports looking for recent AS ones, so yours is particularly timely. Mrs QF WP and I are doing LAS/SEA/GEG/SEA/LAX in early January (unfortunately in Y), so I know to fuel up before the flight and what to expect. Seems minimalism is the way of aircraft meals these days
Old Dec 15, 2003, 5:41 am

Your reports are really wonderful. Thanks so much for all of your insight. I am so sorry to hear that AS has really downgraded their food service. I really enjoyed flying up toe SEA from SJC in the mid eighties ....oh well
Old Dec 15, 2003, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

art Two:
December 14, 2003
AS 417 LAX-PDX Lv0640 0904
Boeing 737-700 N623AS
Well, I slept almost three hours the previous night. I watched the Asiana’s flight taking off around 2am. LAX was pretty busy. There were some takeoffs after 2am… I guess the last wave of cargo flights took off as well, but obviously it was sparse, but more than I thought.

Well I took the 5:30am shuttle back to LA, with one of the pilots on my flight. I like the new Alaska’s setup at LAX, and also the updated kiosks. I headed to the gate and there was already a line due to a number of ATA and Frontier’s flights. Alaska has two morning departures – 6:20am to Seattle and 6:40am to Portland, OR. Finally four lanes are all opened by 6am. I arrived at gate 30 around 6am. Boarding began at 6:07am, and the flight was very sparse. I got 2C pre-booked, but decided that I will have a chance to have an empty seat next to me, if I get 1A. I am right… almost every single traveler except a couple at Seat 3AC, and a pilot at 2D, and everyone got a pair of seat to themselves. There are weight restrictions. Door was closed at 6:37am. Following a Frontier’s A319 N917FR, we took off from Runway 24R at 6:48am, and got the glimpse of a Qantas’ Boeing 747-400 landing at Runway 25R – 1st in a long series this morning. International terminal was pretty empty, except two Mexicana’s Airbuses.

Flying time was an hour and fifty-eight minutes. Seat belt sign was turned off at 6:57am and thank god (to humanity as well), a hot breakfast was available. I had not flown breakfast flights for a number of times – I believe that I had cereal breakfast before, and a full hot breakfast a number of years ago – as I said, the good days with Alaska… definitely pre-911… Anyway, both F and Y passengers still get a warm breakfast. I guess it also proves that hot breakfasts are the most important meals of the day. Well, I had a warm breakfast entrée – Vegetable quiche with pepper jack cheese, accompanied by a warm almond bear claw. Delicious, but a bit lacking in quantity, but this is more than the lunch or dinner. Economy class got an omelet panini with bell peppers and cheese.

I slept for the rest of the flight. Descent began at 8:20pm and we landed on Runway 10R at 8:44am. We parked at gate C1 and I headed for the Board room.

QX 2292 PDX-SEA Lv1000 Arr1050
Dash 8-Q400 N414QX
Another typical Horizon air experience! Flight service was limited to a pack of biscoff cookies (no more biscotti), but beverage service was suspended due to turbulence. It was pretty bad up there, so I was not surprised. I bought the leftover bottle of water from my previous flight.

AS 14 SEA-EWR Lv1400 Arr2158
Boeing 737-700 N612AS
I had three hours at Board Room and got my usual spot. I saw the Ted’s A320 landing and taking off for the first time. Nice livery! I went to gate D9 for boarding around 1:15pm. Boarded started four minutes later. The aircraft arrived early from Burbank. The load was very light with 12F and 43Y. This afternoon flight was pretty light these days, but the F/As said the evening return flights are busy. I guess there is a payoff. If you want a more comfortable flight, I will select the afternoon flight to Newark. We got a really good crew this afternoon and the service was as good as ever. I am happy to get this trip report ending in a good way.

Water bottles were placed in the console and we pushed back around 1:51pm, and headed to Runway 16L for take off at 2:03pm. Flying time was four hours and twenty-seven minutes, with a cruising attitude of 37,000feet. The service began with the warmed mixed nuts and beverage. A full dinner was offered.

A Mesclun green salad, accompanied by a wedge of Camembert cheese, two slices of orange, and sliced raw almonds, and Sesame Oriental Dressing
Very nice green salad… I like those fruit accompaniments… I miss the pear and walnut salad.

Breadbasket includes the usual selections – sourdough, whole wheat and Olive tomato

Entrées:
Beef tenderloin with a demi-glace, mashed potatoes, and green beans almondine
Or
Seared prawns with a curry sauce on top of white rice, and bak choy
Four prawns… no cutbacks here… haha… this classical Alaskan entrée was very popular – Row three is a beef row. To be honest, both selections are good.

Dessert
Pumpkin cheesecake on top of chocolate sauce

Economy class got a choice of hot dinners – Hungarian beef stew with egg noodles and mixed vegetables or Halibut with Asian sauce, sesame rice, and ginger carrots, accompanied by a roll, salad, and a dessert. Roll is prepackaged now. Final beverage was served around 5:40pm. Hot towel was passed out shortly after descent at 5:57pm. BTW, Bank of America announcements are available on all the Alaska segments this day. I guess AS is enforcing those announcements again. (Well, it reminds me of possible canceling this card… I don’t think if this is a good news or not).

Weather was nasty in New York area. F/As were asked to prepare the cabin earlier. We were shaking around the cloud areas for more than forty minutes before receiving our final clearance. We landed on Runway 4R at 9:48pm EST, and we parked at gate A27 nine minutes later. I spotted a personal favorite – Swiss’ A330-300 HB-IQH at gate 53. The BA 777 was parked out there, but saw the very nice Chelsea Rose tail. For some reasons, EWR always saw the remainder of the World Color’s tails by British Airways.

Enjoy the report! The next one will be at the end of the month for a Malaysian Business class to Taipei from LAX and then CX to HKG from TPE.

Carfield
Old Dec 16, 2003, 8:05 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
...it just keeps on getting better...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, LMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Dec 16, 2003, 2:07 pm

You are the king of trip reports. I FINALLY will get a chance next week to write all of my trip reports!!!
Old Dec 23, 2003, 1:19 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Thanks for sharing your latest experience.
I'm looking forward to you MH Business class report ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.