Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

CX's New Biz Class BKK-HKG, & HKG-LAX, w impressions of Food &The Wing/Pier (long)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX's New Biz Class BKK-HKG, & HKG-LAX, w impressions of Food &The Wing/Pier (long)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2003, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.

December 5th, being the birthday of His Royal Highness, was a national holiday in The Kingdom, and so traffic from Sathorn area of Bangkok to the airport was, for once, deliciously light. My taxi driver was clearly not overjoyed with this run, in all probability due to the fact that I had declined his request to use the Expressway. But since traffic was minimal and I was not rushed, there was no pressing need to waste the extra Baht on tolls, and so I had turned down the driver's request to use the 'upper deck.' Unknown mutterings in a still 'somewhat strange tongue' were made to me by the driver, but such things, at times like this, tend to add colour to my already brilliant world.

Arrival at Don Muang International, Terminal 2, occurred at precisely 12:30 PM, more or less, somewhat early for the 4:25 PM Cathay Pacific 773 departure to HKG. I was flying on a BC freebie, standby - courtesy of a British Airways award - coz, CX via the BA res system wouldn't release a confirmed seat for my return trip across the bigger pond on this date. In fact, Cathay had given me several days of misery in this regard with their refusal to give me a seat. Six revenue seats still showed available for purchase on this flight up front, and in fact once we pushed, 2/3rds of the forward cabin was empty! In light of all of this, I wanted to arrive at the airport a little early, and in anticipation of having to 'play the game,' I even dressed appropriately with a tie, in hopes of being able to convence the BKK crew to clear me a seat 'all the way thru' to LAX - with an overnite in HKG. Without any Marco Polo or other One World status, would I get lucky, or would they torture me with the 'gate standby' game at each point, I was wondering...???

Some comments and advise was given to me here.

The Cathay check-in counter had a sign posted, 'CLOSED' - with no posted indication of when it would open, and so that minor fact, when coupled with my unknown, but pending 'standby status,' sent me over the edge, irritating me no end!!! Hey, just post a sign CX, telling us your check-in hours, thought me!

Then someone said, 'They open at 1:20 PM,' and so I moved my luggage buggy to the Number One position in the BC line. Well, check-in for dedicated CX flights are handled by TG staff, and I was well pleased when these folks showed up precisely on time and gobbled up my two precious, but heavy jewels (bags) - one of which was brand spanking new, and courtesy of Bangkok Airways. But then, that was another FT Trip Report story that I never got around to posting...

'I'm going to accept your bags here, sir, but you'll have to step over to see the the actual CX ticketing agent to make a change on this ticket.' Ughhhh, my heart sank to my stomach - as I had thought that I was playing the game with this TG agent so very, very well! Surely Murphy's Law was just about ready to step in and kick my A...???

No never mind! I kicked 'niceness' into overdrive and laid it on thick to the CX agent - saying just the right things that agents like to hear - without being overly obnoxious or flowery. It's a skill I've refined over the years, having worked both sides of the counter, which requires just 'the right touch' on my part. It's a technique I use - in which a combination of statements and questions are made and/or asked - that keeps the agent both very busy and occupied and laughting and joking with me at the same time, so that comments mentioned in a PNR are skimmed over and/or missed, or emphasized, as deemed appropriate by me. And, I'm always most humble whenever I'm in the presence of this 'god' - you know, the gate agent/guy in front of the computer! I think that PREMEX has this technique down pat too.

Anway, the CX agent pressed a few buttons - and all was right again with my world: confirmed to HKG in BC and then on to LAX the following day. ' I would like the afternoon flight, please!' And, only one revenue seat left tomorrow, you say? 'Oh, yes, a window seat on that flight on the upper deck of the 747 out of HKG tomrrow will be fine!,' I responded to the god.

The ticket
for this trip had actually been issued with a wonderful, wonderful, flexible type paper! And on this trip, for that, I was eternally grateful. Had it not been for this tkt, I would have paid a small King's ramsom in change fees. An OLD BA award was used and as a result, I was able to change this return many, many, many, times. No extra fees. No hassle with changes - all due to a PNR that was perfectly documented and this sward tkt allowed me to do precisely what I wanted to do - as long as an award seats was available. But alas, since the new changes to the BA program became effective, BA no longer allows changes on CX BC tickets, as I understand it. Why all simple, good and perfect things which are easy, and make customers very, very happy must end, I'll never know!

Having dispensed with god, I meandered onwards toward the CX BC Lounge - past the flashing red overhead electronic sign wishing His Majesty a Long Life and Happy Birthday. As I had heard many great things from this board regarding The CX Lounges, I certainly wanted to partake of what BKK had to offer. Along the way, I passed Immigration, and I thought about all that I had to go thru to get that non-immigrant B Visa, and was grateful that I wouldn't be doing Cambodia and/or Loas Visa runs anymore. Well, at least not again anytime soon! But those are other stories about getting a TEFL certificate and about teaching English in Thailand - stories and trip reports that, too, will prolly not all get posted here on FT...

To be perfectly honest and dreadfully blunt, I was somewhat disappointed in The BKK Cathay Pacific BC Lounge itself - which is shared, I believe, with Swiss. The Lounge just wasn't that impressive to me at all. Perhaps my impression had something to do with the munchie selection. In fact, there just wasn't much to chose from at all - at least initially - since I was the first customer to enter The Lounge. In all fairness, more stuff did appear later as more people entered, but it is the initial impresssion that is so very, very important, doncha think?. And then there were only 3 internet terminals inside The Lounge - all of which were occupied at one later point - necessatating a wait. 'Excuse me! But tvl4free physically needs to check in with FT again prior to departure!'

Or mebbe my impression of The Lounge had something to do with its lack of spaciousness. The place just had a very crowded feeling to it once the sheeples began to move inside. But I was able to snag a few mini sandwiches, and would later be grateful that I did! And a red Australian Shiraz wine was on offer, which I was first introduced to in the CONRAD, so that got a thumbs up sign.

Or mebbe my impressions and evaluations are funtioning on a 'higher Lounge comparison plane' - now that I'm used to the SQ Raffles and FC Lounge in SINGAPORE.

CX 712 - NEW BUSINESS CLASS - BKK-HKG
05 DEC - Boeing 777-300
Scheduled Departure - 4:25P
Scheduled Arrival - 8:00 P

A boarding announcement was made in The Lounge and so a further meandering toward Gate 42 was initiated. I descended the jetway and boarded the BC cabin via an un-guarded L-1. This is one of my personal peeves - to discover Flight Attendants improperly positioned to greet the Premium Class passengers as they board the aircraft. Additionally, I feel that an attendant should always be there for safety reasons - to 'mind the gap' so to speak. Finally, from a public relations stand-point, there is nothing quite like that, 'Welcome aboard, sir. Glad to have to have you with us today,' to help create 'the fuzzies.' But then, that's just my lowly, humble opinion. But I expect it. And I want it. So give it to me... OK, Cathay Pacific?

On boarding, it was very clear that this was a freshly minted bird.

But there was nothing new about the color decor of the seating textiles offered on this baby. That Cathay Pacific 'corporate green color' was evident everywhere in combination with the same tired ole blues. I submit that that tired green seat color should have been retired mebbe 5 or 6 years ago.The only thing worse that I can think of is that lingering green that one still finds at Eva Air.

I crossed thru galley and made my way toward my window seat and plumped myself down there.And oh, oh, oh...it hurt! The seat was is hard as it gets! Later, after take-off, I would play with all the buttons, and no matter what I did, or in what position I placed the seat, it was still most uncomfortable. In fact, I would later come to the conclusion that this is the most uncomfotable BC seat that I have ever ridden on! And there is no way to put your feet under the seat in front of you as the seat design goes straight to the floor and doesn't allow 'stretched out' footsies!

BTW seating on this 777-300 was 2 X 3 X 2. And well, I'm waaay over that configuration already!

Later, after take-off, the ISM came around with a big smile on her face and boasted, 'How do you like this brand spanking new aircraft sir? It was the first to have our new BC installed on it.' Well, I like to be nice and so I let my initial comments slide. But the guy in front of me didn't! And in no uncertain terms let her know how awful this cabin was. She then said, 'Oh please fill out a comment card, sir. Our mgmt must know about this!' Well, I filled out one as well!

One of my Flight Attendants today was a young gentleman who I noticed was in desperate need of a dermatologist. So much so in fact, that I wondered how he ever got the job. Must have been his language skills I concluded. Efficient, but not particularly friendly, he served me a class of champagne, a Billecart-Salmon Brut, accompanied by heated pistachios - which are nuts that I have not seen onboard any carrier before. Yummmm! Chilled towels were presented by another F/A - and they were of the good, traditional variety.

The flight today was initially parked at Gate 42 - and we pushed precisely on time - minus four (4:21 PM). However, we just kept backing up and backing up and backing up... until such time as I thought that we would back right on into Hong Kong! Of course, tvl4free has been towed out of a gate before, but this was very odd and had a unusual feel to it. Eventually we were released back to self propulsion. A quick left, and then a right hand turn was made, and we immediately begin our take-off roll. Doncha just love that feeling when one immediately begins the take-off roll - without even stopping - immediately after 'that turn' is made? You all are all FTers, so I know that you know what I mean.

Tvl4free finds that this experience still causes a 'warm and fuzzy' - especially when the In-flight audio is cookin up really good stuff! And the CXStudio can do that fairly easily!

At 4:31PM we were gobbled up by the sky and immediated engulfed in a luxurious white fog. At the same time, 'Our Life Together' by John Lennon played on CXStudio. Good music with a take-off roll make me a happy camper! But bummer, no view of BKK today!

Once airborne, more bubbles and un-heated nuts, this time, were offered.

Here was the menu:

DINNER

Smoked Salmon Carpaccio with Mozzarella and Olives

Braised Duck and Taro with Chu Hou Sauce
Steam Rice
Oriental Vegetables

or

Sauteed Prawns in Light Curry Cream Sauce
Buttered Linguini
Sauteed French Beans, Cherry Tomato

Ginger Panna Cotta with Beans and Lotus Seeds

Assorted Bread and Rolls

Tea and Coffee

A few comments regarding dinner are in order. First, the appetizer tray was fantastic! Probably one of the best presentations that I have ever seen. The Salmon portion was very,very generous. And the olives and cheese were nice, flavorful additions which added color to the plate. Warmed breads rounded out this pre-plated serving. This appetizer plate deserves a perfect score of 10 (minus) IMHO. A 10 minus because there's always room for improvement, but we won't go there now...

Ordinarily, tvl4free is not a picky eater - but as a rule - he does not eat anything that swims. Thanks to the Cathay Pacific caterer, the lemon slices which accompanied this plate completely wiped out the fishy taste, and for tvl4free, that was a good thing. Yes, it was a very good thing indeed.

Two other comments I would like to add here regard the cutlerly presentation (which was all silver I might add) and the salt and pepper shakers. The silverware was generous and wrapped with a heavy white napkin surrounded by a purple ribbon. I liked that. But even better was the little tiny purple clothes pin that was attatched to the ribbon and held a promotional card annoucing the new service into Beijing. I liked that too - and thought it was quite classy! Non-overt promos are OK with me when handled well...like this one.

Finally, I thought the salt and pepper shakers were waaaay too cool! Very classy was my opinion. The design is really neat; they look like small flowing rocks - one in green and the other in black - and I would have swiped a couple ot them if I was that kind of guy. But I didn't need them bad enuf to steal em. IMHO they're even better than Virgin's little airplanes! I was waaay impressed with these. Just like I am waaay impressed with the elephant salt and peppers shakers that can be found in The Executive Floor Lounge at the BKK CONRAD. Some people like the silk and/or rubber elephant; I like the CONRAD font salt and pepper shakers! I havn't been able to find them anywhere in BKK, tho.

Now regarding the entree's. As mentioned, I don't normally eat swimming stuff, so when my only choices are duck or shrimp, I am not a happy camper. And, after having been in Asia for four months, about the last thing that I want to eat is RICE. So DUCK with RICE sounds waaay awful to me. But the rubber duckie it twas to be. And 'rubber' was to be the operative word here! Yuck! And that nasty duck taste, it just seemed to linger forever...

But what surprised me the most about CX was the way in which the BC meals are served. The entrees are pre-plated with vegies and everything offered in a single serving caserole dish 'a la Lean Cuisine.' Well, PA-LEASE!

There is nothing more dis-heartening than a BC 'Lean Cuisin' type meal served on a low, flat-topped trolley (a la First Class). This is too wrong. Perhaps, Cathay mgmt needs to visit Continental or Virgin to see how BC entrees should be served. Dish it up for me, please, I would suggest. And use a very nice plate, thank you! So it's NO, NO, NO... on these caserole dish things, I would say!

And so Cathay gets a zero score in the entree area from little ole moi. So solly.

(Excuse me for the 'solly' comment. But I've been teaching English in Thailand, and we were just working on our L's and R's last week).

Now, lets talk about finishing touches: dessert so to speak. It was to be a 'no real taste' affair - a custard of sorts, sprinkled with ginger slivers and surrounded by beans. Well, I don't think so! In a Premium Cabin I'll be wanting something decadent, thank you very much!

In short, this carriers food selection seem to be waaay too influenced by Asia. (Imagine that!).

But greater than 50 % of the cabin were westerners, I'm thinking. How about a nice steak, huh? Ain't had one in a long, long time. So somthing Texas would work fine for me.

Therefore, overall I give this flight the following ratings - using an A scale of 1 thru 10:

Ground Service - 9.0
BKK Lounge - 7.0
Inflight Service - 6.0
IN-FLIGHT MEAL - 2.0

At 7:19 PM the nose dipped from our flight level of 37,000 feet. Another round of refreshing towels made their way thru the cabin. At 7:36 PM we touched down and were very shortly thereafter parked at Gate 1.

One final comment. Tvl4free really likes the CX female uniforms. So classy. I've determined that it's the mutilple color collar, with the Chinese influence, that makes it so very stylish. A perfect 10 is given to this category!

But my flights attendants today were just 'too busy being busy.' Have you ever noticed how F/A's can do that?

The Wing and Pier are next, but can you handle it if I'm not as kind or as impressed as in previous reports?

Till next time, be gentle to me oh yea Cathay Pacific food fans.

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited Dec 11, 2003).]
Old Dec 11, 2003, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 3MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Great first installment tvl4free!

I'll be undertaking my first CX voyage in 2 weeks time (albeit in F) I can't wait. I get giddier and giddier as the days countdown.

I'm anxious to read your impression of the HKG lounges and your outbound flight.

Safe travels!

Gene
Old Dec 11, 2003, 10:06 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Sounds like CX needs some help with their biz class meals...you'd think that with such a great reputation - they'd get up to speed with the entree presentation.

Alas...it was nice for you to have had this new experience.

Thank you for sharing this with us all...

Happy Holidays !

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, LMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Dec 12, 2003, 2:17 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Excellent start. Your reports are always fun4free to read.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 2:38 pm
Lux

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tvl4free:
I kicked 'niceness' into overdrive and laid it on thick to the CX agent - saying just the right things that agents like to hear - without being overly obnoxious or flowery. It's a skill I've refined over the years, having worked both sides of the counter, which requires just 'the right touch' on my part. It's a technique I use - in which a combination of statements and questions are made and/or asked - that keeps the agent both very busy and occupied and laughting and joking with me at the same time, so that comments mentioned in a PNR are skimmed over and/or missed, or emphasized, as deemed appropriate by me. And, I'm always most humble whenever I'm in the presence of this 'god' - you know, the gate agent/guy in front of the computer! I think that PREMEX has this technique down pat too.
</font>
Tell us more, oh wise one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.