Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii & Boeing 767 weekend -- JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-EWR on AA F/J and HA F

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Hawaii & Boeing 767 weekend -- JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-EWR on AA F/J and HA F

Dear all,

Here is my special report on Hawaiian Airlines and American Airlines’ transcontinental service. This weekend is also dedicated to Boeing 767s. It is a nice change from the Alaska and Horizon’s narrow-aisle bodies. AA’s service is fine as usual, although catering slips a bit. This is my flight on Hawaiian Airlines’ Mainland service and I was upgraded to first class both ways. I think HA offers a very nice product and catering is nice, especially compared to other US majors that fly to Hawaii. However, I like Aloha’s mainland service a bit better and the F/As are just a bit more energetic and proud of its service. Of course, the strength of HA is on the widebody aircrafts and the slightly nicer seats with footrest and a decent legroom, but the six abreast seating arrangement make the width a bit tight… even feel like tighter than AQ’s Boeing 737’s first class. Here are the details:

November 22, 2003
AA 3 JFK-LAX Lv1200 Arr1457 Boeing 767-200ER N335AA
I took the New York Airport Bus to JFK from Grand central station, and arrived about an hour and fifteen minutes prior to departure time. I proceeded directly to one of the self-check in machines, and tried to check on my upgrade status. I was able to confirm my upgrades right the way and got a pair of seat to myself in the last row – 11HJ. The load today was pretty full – F was 100% full, J had two empty seats, and Y was about 80% full. Although the aircraft was parked at the gate for a while, servicing arrived late and we did not board till 11:35am. Nevertheless, door was closed early at 11:55am, and I guess everyone was pretty familiar with flying on this particular routes. Pre-takeoff beverage was offered with a choice of orange juice, champagne and water, and printed menus were passed after safety demonstration. We pushed back a minute early and headed towards Runway 31L immediately… Due to strong headwinds, our flying time is a full five hours and fifty-four minutes with a cruising attitude of 35,000ft. We took off at 12:10pm and service began around 12:38am with the beverage trolley and warmed mixed nuts.

Here is the menu transcript –
Wine List
Sparking Wine
Domaine Chandon Napa Valley Brut

White Wines
Raymond California Chardonnay
Buena Vista California Sauvignon Blanc

Red Wines
Rodney Strong Alden Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Barwang Coonawarra South Australia Merlot

Lunch
Appetizers
To Start
Warmed roasted nuts to accompany your preferred cocktail or beverage

Appetizer Salad
Mediterranean Chicken Salad
Mediterranean Chicken served with a fresh Mozzarella Salad and seasonal Mixed Greens with roasted Garlic Balsamic Vinaigrette or creamy Basil dressing
Instead of a separate appetizer and salad, it has melted into one item, the salad is of a generous portion and dressing is added separately by the flight attendants; it is a nice appetizer.

Breadbasket
Choice of sourdough or wheat rolls

Entrees
Caribbean-Crusted Fillet of Beef
Tender beef fillet with a Peppery Caribbean Crust presented with French Potato Salad
The selection of entrees is not really great and the decision to put a chicken salad as a choice of entrées is pretty careless as you already have a chicken salad as appetizer. The beef was the only good choice especially pasta can be nasty produced by AA kitchen. It was not disappointing although I am not sure what Caribbean really means.
Or
Wild Mushroom Tortellini
Cheese Tortellini tossed with Shiitake Mushrooms and Spinach, enhanced by a creamy Mushroom salad
Or
Breaded chicken salad
Breaded chicken served over a bed of mixed greens, tomatoes and corn relish

Dessert
Tiramisu
Sponge cake with Coffee Liqueur and Italian cream Cheese
Or
A scoop of Blue Bell’s Premium Ice Cream
I had the ice cream, which was frozen… White Chocolate almond flavor…

The meal was fine and CBS Eyes on America was first shown, and then the movie, Legally Blonde II: Red, white and blonde, and finally the “Everybody Loves Raymond” marathon. I slept after the meal…

Descent began at 5:28pm and soon LA was in sight. We landed on Runway 25L at 3:04pm PST, just as LH’s Boeing 747-400 D-ABTA was taxiing towards Runway 25 for its afternoon flight back to Frankfurt. We parked at gate 42A and our aircraft would head back to Newark in an hour.

Then I headed towards the departure level and took a leisurely walk towards Terminal two. I passed by two Korean Jumbos just arriving from Seoul – Korean Air’s HL7402 and Asiana’s HL7414, an Air Tahiti Nui’s A340-300 F-OJGF ready for its flights to Papeete, and also EVA’s Boeing 747-400 in the new livery – B-16402 or 16412.

HA 9 LAX-HNL Lv1725 Arr2100 Boeing 767-300ER N589HA “Moli” with twin mid-cabin emergency exits
Terminal two was relatively quiet in these late afternoon hours but Hawaiian Airlines’ area was busy despite all stations were opened. There was a huge family checking-in in front of us, so it took about 10 minute before getting my boarding pass. The agent was very pleasant and tried to find me a better seat. The flight was pretty full front and back, but I guess HA really needs a full flight to be profitable. I headed to the Hawaiian Air operated Premier lounge, which is located in the corner of the VIP lounge area and is rather small and un-impressive, similar to Aloha lounge at HNL. There was a basic non-alcoholic bar with cans of pineapple juice, a fountain soda machine and a coffee machine. Snacks are limited to Hawaiian’s tropical mix and crackers.

I watched planes a bit – an AVIASCA’s Boeing 737-200 XA-TVL pushing back, an Air New Zealand’s Boeing 767-300ER (ZK-NCN) at gate 21, Virgin Atlantic’s newly painted (G-VBIG), and KLM’s PH-BFI in new colors. Boarding began at 4:35pm and took place in a civilized manner. These newer Boeing 767s feature the Boeing 777 style cabin and overhead bins, and the seats are similar to American Airlines’ new (but not too well-liked) business class and domestic first leather seats. Fortunately, the cushion and headrest were a bit softer than AA. Legroom was about forty-five inches with a legrest. Three rows of seats were completely filled and a large family filled half of them. Well, with six rather young children in first class, this flight was meant to be a bit livelier, and the flight attendants really kept their calms dealing with these kids. I know what some of our folks feel about kids in first class. Even though I am not pleased (especially trying to read some of these school stuffs), I don’t think kids should be banned even after this lively flight.

Service began with pre-takeoff beverage in real glasses – a choice of juices, sparkling wines and water. I had a glass of orange juice and then newspapers, such as LA times and USA Today, were offered. Headsets and a clean seat of pillow and blanket (wrapped) were already placed in the seat. The menu cards had reduced further into small single page cards, which was passed out as we get settled. After everyone was seated, an introduction video with movie preview was shown. Door was closed at 5:18pm and pushed back in three minutes. It was relatively quiet at this early evening hour and we took off at 5:30pm. It will be a long five hours and forty-minutes flight, especially there are some weather at the Pacific and strong head wind. We first climbed to 35,000ft before reaching a higher attitude at 37,000ft even though with stronger head wind, but a smoother ride.
Cabin service began with a hot towel and then a beverage service with bags of tropical mix and macadamia nuts (no more heated macadamia nuts). At the same time, more Hawaiian promotion video was shown followed by HA’s short subject programs called “Hawaiian Skies” – full of information about Hawaii, but very commercial if you ask with lame Hawaiian music added in between. Movie today was Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life after the meal. Well, while other airlines cut back services like linen placed on your table and hot towels, HA maintains some of them. I was surprised when fresh white linen was placed on my table before appetizer tray. Meals were served in courses – salad was pre-plated but rolled out in a trolley with F/A adding your choice of dressing, and dessert was served in a trolley too. Here is the menu transcript:

Hawaiian Airlines is pleased to offer the following selections chosen by Chef Beverly Gannon of Hali’imaile General Store and Joe’s Bar & Grill on Maui. (MHL 11/03)

To Begin
Crudite with Ranch Dipping Sauce
Carrots, Celery, broccoli and cherry tomato – followed by a choice of white or wheat rolls – very fresh and simple appetizer

Salad
Island Greens with Crab and Asparagus Spears
Choice of Dressing: Champagne Mustard Vinaigrette or Chutney French Vinaigrette
A very fresh salad with nice amount of crabmeats and cucumbers, and the salad dressing is okay.

Entrées
Goat Cheese Stuffed chicken breast with Ginger Pommodoro sauce and Shiitake Mushroom Polenta
Or
Seafood Paella with Hawaiian Mahi Mahi and Lobster Sausage
A very different paella from Air Canada flight last week – three slices of freshly grilled mahi mahi and two lobster sausages on top of rice – it is very generous in portion and the fish is nice, but a bit dry. A light tomato sauce will be nice – not too strong, but some kinds of sauce.
Or
Veal Tenderloin with Shiitake Mushroom Cream Sauce and Caramelized Onion Rice Pilaf

And After all
Lava Flow Sundae
A Hawaiian traditional dessert – vanilla ice cream with a raspberry sauce and shredded coconut slices on top.

The meal was very nice, but I like Alan Wong (for AQ) a bit better, but HA has a separate appetizer and salad service. Then AQ has a full ice cream sundae and warm cookies prior to arrival. I guess HA is great, but AQ wins by a very slight edge. For economy class, the choices of entrees include a choice of beef stew, curried chicken with rice, or a cold Turkey Croissant sandwich with chips and Oreo cookies.

After meals, F/As checked on us frequently. About an hour prior to arrival, a final video was shown about Agricultural regulations in Hawaii, and forms were passed out. A final beverage order was taken while bottles of Ultra Pure Hawaiian water were passed out at the same time. Descent soon began at 10:48pm and hot towel was passed out again (nice touch). We landed on Runway 8L at 9:10pm HST and parked at Gate 34 shortly. The aircraft will head back to Phoenix later in the evening – three HA Boeing 767s were parked side by side (LAX, LAS, and PHX). It was certainly a long walk to the baggage claim area and I took the Airport Waikiki Shuttle to my hotel – Doubletree Ala Moana – very nice hotel – nothing fancy, but decent.

The next morning, I walked around the shopping area a bit and was surprised at the amount of Japanese noodle shops and ABC Stores… shopping is abundant in Honolulu… same applied to Japanese tourists. I had a nice ramen lunch and then took the Oahu’s Airport shuttle back to the airport. It happened that the driver was a minister, and same with the other couple passengers on board – so I did not talk at all, while listening to comments that how gods had helped me… but not bad… really good people, but just feel a bit out of space as an ex-Catholic.

November 23, 2003
HA 2 HNL-LAX Lv1350 Arr2105 Boeing 767-300ER N587HA “Pakalakala” with twin mid-cabin exits
Check in area was a mess in Honolulu and you really need two hours if you have bags to check in. You have to go through an agricultural x-rays for your check in bags before the actual check-ins. I had no bag so I headed straight to the counter. The agent was a bit cold and un-Hawaiian, but I got an aisle seat, 3C, as I wish. I went to the Hawaiian Premier lounge again – it was slightly larger but same unimpressed drinks and snack selections. The agent was nice though – very friendly pregnant woman. She advises me to head to the gate around 1pm. I went to the Wiki Wiki shuttle stop, which was fairly crowded especially you had to pass through another agricultural check on your carry-on bags. I was excited as I got to the gate area, as I got to see my real JAL ways’ RESOCHA closed up – JA8187 – a Red and Pink Resocha’s Boeing 747-300 heading to Nagoya. It was just beautiful especially among the unimpressive lines of AA, ATA, AC, and UA’s aircrafts.

Boarding began at 1:20pm at gate 29, and I waited till last to board. Once again, a full pre-takeoff beverage was offered in real glasses and as the door was closed at 1:44pm, the intro video and movie preview was shown. We did not push back till 1:55pm due to late cargo loadings. Menus were passed out followed by headsets, and we took off from Runway 8R – the Reef Runway at 2:10pm. Flying time was four hours and forty-five minutes with a cruising attitude of 35,000ft.

Cabin service was identical to the flight yesterday – here is the menu transcript –
Hawaiian Airlines is pleased to offer the following selections chosen by Chef Beverly Gannon of Hali’imale General Store and Joe’s Bar & Grill on Maui. HML 11/03

To Begin
Crab Filled Jumbo Prawn
A very nice appetizer – fresh prawn, but a bit small… I can use two prawns…
For bread rolls, it was a choice of Taro or wheat rolls – just love these taro rolls!

Salad
Grilled Maui Onion, Cucumber and Tomato Salad
Choice of Dressing: Oriental Dressing or Lemon Basil Vinaigrette
A decent salad with nice oriental dressing…

Entrées
Bacon Wrapped Turkey Fillet with Cherry Poha Chutney and Banana Walnut Stuffing
Or
Sesame Crusted Scallops with Citrus sauce and Shiitake Mushroom Mashed Potatoes
Or
Rack of Lamb with Hunan Sauce and Potatoes Au Gratin
A very filling entrée – the sauce was okay – there was four pieces of lamb out from the rack served – is even larger than the rack of lamb I had on CX First a while ago. Good jobs and there was a nice side of green asparagus tips.

And After All
White Chocolate Cranberry Cheesecake
A nice cheesecake to end the meal…

For economy class, the choice of entrée was cheese tortellini or chicken with rice or a cold Turkey Croissant sandwich with chips and cookie. For entertainment, more Hawaiian Skies and the featured movie was Uptown Girls – interesting picture but not a big fan of Brittany Murphy; however the main guy is pretty cute. I guess it is a good picture to show on these family oriented flights. Prior to arrival, bottles of Menehue Hawaiian waters were passed out followed by hot towels – as the flight attendants say, the best part of the service is the hot towel. I definitely agree!

Descent began at 6:29pm and we came in from the South – a very busy evening at LAX. We landed on Runway 24R at 8:55pm and parked at gate 21 nine minutes later.

AA 152 LAX-EWR Lv2300 Arr0702+1 Boeing 767-300ER with the new International business class seats
Terminal four was fairly busy with a number of flights heading back East and two QF’s 747-400s heading to Sydney – VH-OJP with Rolls Royce engines for the earlier flight, and the new Walunga Dreaming 747-400ER for the second flight. I used the machine to check-in so nothing to write about. I got 5D and the cabin was pretty full in first class and we had a bunch of young military school students on board as well. And a celebrity spotting – Patrick Swayze – he looks pretty slim and fit considered his age.

The flight came in from Maui, so I was expecting the less impressive Hawaiian configuration. It was really nice when I saw the obviously more comfortable and spacious business class seats – the legroom is tremendous and recline is nice. I just wish the seats could be a bit less hard, especially the headrests. Although it was a comfortable seat, I did not sleep too well – I hate redeye flights. Boarding began at 10:32pm and pre-takeoff beverage of sparkling wine and orange juice and water was offered. We pushed back four minutes early and wasted no time in heading to Runway 25R for takeoff. We lifted off around 11:09pm and flying time was four hours and thirty-one minutes with a cruising attitude of 37,000ft.

Cabin service started soon after takeoff with first, the movie, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, and then entrée orders. Warmed nuts were served first, followed by the entrée, which was a choice of Turkey Croissant with grapes or a Chicken Asparagus pizza. There was a choice of cheese or sourdough rolls, and then cookies were served next. Water bottles were also passed out then. Soon, the cabin went to completely quietness, but AA still has to show CBS Eyes on American. Fortunately, the passengers at seat 2DG asked the F/A to turn off the screen in first/business class. To be honest, I don’t think too many people want to watch CBS Eyes on American in the middle of the night. About thirty minutes prior to arrival, F/A passed out orange juice or coffee to those folks who were slowly getting up after the pilots’ announcements. Descent began at 3:12am PST and we landed on Runway 4R at 6:40am and parked at gate A33 ten minutes later. I sort of wish the flight could depart a bit earlier, so I could miss the traffic hours. Standing on a NJT next to the bathroom from Newark Liberty station to NY Penn Station is not fun especially after a redeye flight.

Well I hope you enjoy this report, and the next one will be returning to Alaska skies – actually the one after – the last “dinners” on the Seattle to Los Angeles routes.

Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels!

Carfield
Old Nov 24, 2003, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Thanks for the trip report.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 3:16 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks for another well written trip report.

Did you get a chance to visit new LAX AC?
Old Nov 25, 2003, 6:00 am

A wonderful report. I took HA some years ago and I remember how fabulous the food was. It sounds like AA service transcon is quite consistent
Old Nov 25, 2003, 8:33 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you too Carfield...

Glad you liked HA, as I just had a quite decent trip on them too.

As for the AA portion of your trip,,,that was awesome as well.

I LOVE all of your writings.

Aloha!

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, LMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Nov 25, 2003, 9:50 am

Great Report!!

Only one day in Hawaii though?
Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Yet another fine effort, Carfield. Thanks!

By the way, spending only a day in Hawaii can be rather pleasant. Back when I had my free First Class pass on United Airlines, I flew to Hawaii 23 times in one year! Often, I would take the 10:00am nonstop out of Denver, arriving HNL at 1:30pm. I'd spend a most enjoyable eight hours around Oahu before flying the redeye back to Denver, arriving at 9:00am the next day.

One afternoon, I went down to Denver to buy some paint for a house I was working on. The type I wanted wouldn't be available until the next day, so rather than drive back into the mountains I decided to have dinner and a movie with United. I caught the 5:00pm out to LAX, and the 7:30pm out to Honolulu. Back in those days, United really pulled out all the stops on its Hawaii services, offering delicious hot, plated appetizers and salads from the cart, complete with cracked pepper and a multitude of breads. There were four entree choices, including a roast of some sort, presented and carved from the cart. And for dessert? Generally a Hawaiian themed cake or pastry, often served with ice cream. It was a wonderful feast!

That 7:30pm flight arrived in Honolulu around 10:00pm. After a quick visit upstairs to the Red Carpet Club, I headed back out onto the concourse for the 11:00pm return to Denver. The next morning, I picked up my car, drove to the hardware store and picked up my paint, and was back in the mountains and hard at work by noon.

As I recall, I went back to Hawaii that weekend for a slightly longer stay.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 3:44 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Fabulous! HA seems to be a pretty good carrier and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in HNL.

ABC stores are in every corner in Waikiki and they are convenient for some last minute necessities. I always make a trip to Ala Moana whenever I'm in HNL, especially at the food hall of the big Japanese dept store (I forgot the name of it..starts w/a S..), they discount the bento boxes after a certain time..I think is 5:30 or 6p.

JAL's Resocha airplanes are extremely colorful and they do provide quite a bright note whenever they are parked.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your compliments!

Yes, the trip is too short... I only have a night at HNL... I will try to stay there longer next time and the weather is pretty nice for November.

I did not get the chance to see the AA Admiral Club, but maybe next time...

Seat2A... it is nice to hear about those old times... great service...

Carfield
Old Nov 25, 2003, 8:25 pm

Programs: Lapsed elite statuses galore
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Carfield:

I did not get the chance to see the AA Admiral Club, but maybe next time...
</font>
Alas, HNL Admirals Club is no more...another casualty of 9/11.

But hanging out in the garden area outside the remaining lounges remains a pleasant way to pass the time.

Aloha.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Thanks for the trip report. While reading your report had to go make a bowl of Hawaiian hurricane mochi popcorn.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 5:04 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aw:
...I always make a trip to Ala Moana whenever I'm in HNL, especially at the food hall of the big Japanese dept store (I forgot the name of it..starts w/a S..), they discount the bento boxes after a certain time..I think is 5:30 or 6p. </font>
www.shirokiya.com

[This message has been edited by FlyinHawaiian (edited Nov 26, 2003).]
Old Nov 26, 2003, 5:33 pm

Great Report!

Just FYI, there are A LOT of ABC stores in hawaii. It's part of the hawaiian experience I guess....

As my friends say...."ABC" means "All Blocks Covered"

------------------
SFnFlaGuy
Old Nov 28, 2003, 8:56 pm

Programs: CO Silver
A visit to Hawaii is not complete without a visit to ABC! Besides the water, beer, snacks, etc., there's the dashtop hula statuettes, mac nut candy, and aloha shirts for gifts!

It's a must-do for us, plus you get a free coffee mug if you spend $100 during your stay (usually not a problem).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.