Continental Airlines 1280 SEAttle-nEWaRk
Depart: 10:35 pm
Arrive: 6:23 am +1 (next day)
Aircraft 737-800
Seat: 5A
Meal: Snack
Gate in SEA: B-11
Gate in EWR: C-70

I arrived at the Continental ticket counter at 9:30, and used the kiosk to check in. It appeared I had been upgraded for this flight, but my request for an aisle could not be met since first was full. My BP’s were printed out, and I made my way to the B concourse security check point. There was a slight line for security, but I was through within minutes. I arrived at the gate by 9:50, and boarding was scheduled to start at 10. I called up a friend to pass the time, just before boarding. The announcement was made a little early around 9:58. I boarded with first class, and found seat 5A. I usually try to select seats closer forward because of meal selections, and because I prefer the bulkhead. But I found the back to be quite cozy, and it may be just me, but it felt like the back row reclines a little bit more than the rest of F. Coats were hung, and pre-departure beverages were offered, despite main cabin passengers using the aisle way to board. The door was closed by 10:30, and we taxied out for departure. Menus were handed out (I didn’t save the menu so this is just memory):

Late Night Snack

Cocktails
Warm roasted nuts served with your preferred cocktail or beverage

Clam Chowder
A rich clam chowder simmered with potatoes accompanied by oyster crackers

Philly Cheese-Steak Sandwich
Roast beef carved onto a hoagie topped with onions and green peppers accompanied by potato salad BBQ sauce and a pickle

Chocolate

Refreshments
Refreshments will be offered prior to arrival

I read over the menu, and was impressed for a red-eye. We reached our cruising altitude of 33,000 feet, and the male FA came around to take snack orders. I was worried that the service would take awhile since I was in back, but surprisingly only 3 others in front of me ordered the meal. I chose to have the whole snack, since I had missed dinner. My water was promptly brought out with a bowl of almonds, cashews, and pecans. The movie was then started, Jet Lag, but I had no intent to view this. A tray was then placed in front of me consisting of the soup, sandwich, and chocolate. The soup was the perfect temperature, and was really excellent. The sandwich wasn’t bad, but I took off the peppers. I really enjoyed the little packaged chocolates they had, a chocolate outside, with a creamy caramel center. I wish I had picked up the name.

The staff did a very good job, and they were very attentive. I find that whenever I fly this red-eye the crews are always phenomenal in Y and F. Re-fills were also offered throughout the meal.

My tray was cleared and I was offered another re-fill, which I declined. It was now time to get some shuteye. I’m one of those persons that has a really easy time falling asleep (thankfully) on airplanes, so I was snoozing within minutes. I abruptly awoke to the announcement of, “flight attendants please be seated for arrival.” I had missed the refreshment, but I wasn’t really disappointed since it was probably just some mini muffins. I only wished I would have gotten a hot towel to wake me up. We arrived a few minutes early at 6:15, and taxied into gate C-70. I deplaned, and thanked the crew for a marvelous job. My connecting gate, C-75 wasn’t to far off and I had an hour to kill so I got some juice and a biscuit.

Continental Airlines 1201 nEWaRk-Ft. LauderdaLe
Depart: 7:45 am
Arrive: 10:32 am
Aircraft: 757-300
Seat: 3E
Meal: Snack
Gate in EWR: C-70
Gate in FLL C-2

At 7:00 am, the agent, in her very heavy Russian accent, announced boarding. I was the second person on board, and found my seat. The catering company was still loading all the carts in the galley, so a beverage was not offered till afterward. After everyone had found his seats, we pushed back on time. Surprisingly our taxi was very quick, and we were number 2 for take-off. We lifted off and found 37,000 feet, and a fruit plate with a croissant was offered. I declined, and only requested a glass of ice water. It was quickly brought, and I sipped on that for a little while, and then dozed off. I was exhausted, and the rest of the flight was spent asleep. I once again awoke to our “flight attendants please be seated” announcement and quickly awoke. We touched down into Sunny FLL, and it was good to be on vacation, (even if I was exhausted).
Old Nov 17, 2003, 6:48 am

Great Report. I think the chocolates you are talking about are Ghiradelli. (Spelled Right?) I think that is what CO gives out.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Nah, these werent ghiradelli. They do serve those however, but not on trans cons.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I was going to book this itinerary (and back) for 3 days earlier but chickened out as a KL PE so flew SEA-DTW-MEM-FLL-IAH-MSP-SEA instead.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Were you upgraded on the CO operated FLL-IAH segment as a KL elite?
Old Nov 18, 2003, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Yes, by calling the NW WP desk. Upgraded on all flights (4 by EUA, 2 by calling).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.