Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Reality trip report - a J class RTW live as it happens!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reality trip report - a J class RTW live as it happens!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2003, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Uli:
disagree !! -- depends on the situation!
</font>
Uli, you are quite right I was just feeling very puritanical when typing that up. You can't beat a glass of decent champage first thing in the morning.

Back to the report. The 777 was boarding through gate 39, a 5 minute walking along one of thei piers. Looking outside there was a great assortment of planes - NW, UA, E, OZ, SQ and TG. That rather explains why the airport is so busy. Boarding was underway when I got to the gate and the J cabin was over half full, and this was before the flight was called in the lounge. By the time we pushed back there were only 4 middle seats free. The crew seemed very disorganised by CX's normally standards and there was quite a lot of fussing around and flapping - even the ISM looked quite harrassed. Perhaps they were late getting on the plane. Menus and headsets didn't come round until after takeoff and drink orders were taken on the hoof.

The 777-300 is laid out 2-3-2 and the window seats feel a bit tighter as they are much closer in to the fuselage. It is also noticable more noisy that the A330/A340 family even in the front cabin. Having done a lot of miles in the last 2 years on both planes, I far,far prefer the Airbus. It's just a more passenger friendly environment - the cabin strikes a nice balance between wide body space and cosiness. The 777 can sometimes feel like you are sitting in a hangar.

The service started to settle down as we got further into the climb. 3 hours flying time gives plenty of scope for the crew to get things straight - which they did. I would love to post the menu, but that seems to have gone for a walk. The structure of the service was very similar to that on the previous 3 flights. From what I remember, I had a beef fillet with potato and sweetcorn cakes which was quite disappointing - overcooked and also lukewarm,. The potato cakes had dried out quite badly. The starter was some sort of meat plate. Nothing too good. Still, there was plenty of Billecart Salmon to keep me happy!

The meal service finished just as me flew over Taipei. As it was the weekend, I decided to settle back and read rather than working. A couple more glasses of Billecart helped the hour and a half pass very quickly. On our approach we were treated to a spectacular fly past of Hong Kong Island and Kowloon. Quite a stunning sight, though the air looked quite thick with pollution. This filtered out a lot of the colour, coupled with the strong sunlight and it looked almost like a black and white photograph. I looked wistfully at Kai Tak. It's one of my aviation regrets that I never had the chance to experience flying in there, though I have vivid memories of watching the planes fly over Kowloon City. We then flew a long base leg out over the Pearl River estuary islands giving me a chance to brush up on my geography.

We arrived on Gate 1 again - very convenient once more. I was even more amused to find that the same 777 would be my onward flight to BKK. This meant enough time to zip up to the Wing for a drinkie and 30mins Internet surfing. No finer way to pass a Saturday really!
Old Oct 26, 2003, 8:41 am

This report is fantastic. I also have flown CX quite a bit...the regional business class is usually great but I too have experienced some pretty bad food.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Fantastic report! Airport Express at $160 HKD RT is a great deal to Kowloon! Go to CX's main website and look for the coupon to use the Airport Express for $90 HKD RT with a CX boarding pass. Better deal!

Sheraton Towers is a nice hotel. Lots of construction on Nathan RD right now for KTR. Did you get a chance to visit Macau?
Old Oct 27, 2003, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the positive comment all of you. RTW4 - I agree the food can be frequently , sometimes poor, normally depending on what station is has been loaded at HKG is normally pretty good. SIN can be pretty hit and miss, thankfully this time it was a hit!

Cygnus X-1 (interesting name!), I didn't have time to make it over to Macau. I haven't been there now for a couple of years, so i think I am well overdue for another visit and some more crab! the building work in TST didn't cause any noise issues - it just makes walking a bit challenging.

Back to Saturday. I was flying on the CX751, one of the more outlandish flights in the schedule. The routing is HKG - BKK - BOM - DXB, quite unusual in this day and age of direct service. The 751 provides the only CX link to BOM and complements the DXB direct service. I think (anyone know?) that CX have rights to fly pax BOM - DXB. With a routing like that, the self loading cargo was about as cosmopolitan as you can imagine - everyone seems represented from a couple of Somalis and a Gulf Arab family through to slightly overweight English businesspeople via a HK tour group and some excited Thai's.

Even by CX standards the welcome on board was extremely warm. It seems that unlike the US airlines, the more senior a crew on CX, the better the service. Both the ISM and the Leading Stewardess (or whatever they call them) had been flying for a few years and just oozed professionalism. This poise seemed to have rubbed off on the rest of the crew - the service from start to finish was exceptionally polished. Just a pity it's my shortest sector.

We were about 40% full in J leaving me with 16C spare. The usual profusion of pre take off amenities flowed - including the welcome includsion of a second round of drinks. That'll be 2 glasses of Billecart befoe take off for me then! We pushed back about 10 minutes late (stupid pax getting lost) and grumbled off into the skies ahead of an MH 747-400. Another stunning view of Hk as we climbed out and then turned for east for the Land of Smiles.

The flight was advertised as offering refreshment service, which seemed appropriate given that the service kicked off around 3.15. I wonder whether we might get some sort of Engligh tea service, but the reality was a little more global inclusive than that!

Fresh Fruit
-----------------------------------------
Pan fried beef fillet with Tomato and Onion Sauce, Egg Fried Rice and Choy Sum (is it me, or does serving beef on a flight to India seem a little insensitive?)

Mushroom and Olive Pizza with Chicken Yakitori (the pizza was surprisingly good, loaded with gooey cheese and muchrooms. Still can't work out why there was one sad stock of yakitori)

Palak Panner, Tomato Rice ,Cauliflower Chandini with raita and pickles (which i would have had, but decided to preserve my stomach liming ahead of the chilli blizta BKK would give)

Haagen Dazs ice cream

Pastries (very nice chocolate torte)

The wine list was the usual Regional fare. I decided to stick with..., well the champagne! My aisle was served by the aforementioned Leading Stewardess and a remarkable attractive India F.A. Calm down boy. The menu for the BKK - BOM sector was included and looked much like the standard regional dinner service.

For the first time in 4 flights the ISM came over and introduced herself. This happens on the majority of my CX flights and I was a bit surprised it hadn't so far. I really enjoy this, as it gives me a chance to find out about what's going on inside CX, talk about the life of the crew. I can't remember her name (shame on me), but she was exceedinly charming and very informative. I mentioned I do a lot of flying on SQ and we got in to a great debate about the relative merits of the 2 airlines! She was happy to hear that I prefer CX.

It's only a 2 and a bit hour sector to Bangkok, so the IFE was only showing shorts. I decided to continue reading and actually enjoy my weekend. The usual announcements preceded our descent in Bangkok and we came straight in to Don Maung on the runway further way from the terminal building. The golfers were out in force (yes, there is a golf course between the runways) and the usual selection of whacky aircraft were on display, including 3 Orient Thai 747-200's. As we had also passed another 2 at HKG, they seem to be building up quite a fleet. Phuket Air have repainted their ex-US 737-200's finally and they look at bit more holiday-esque now!

After a bit of titting around on the taxiway awaiting for SQ and TG to pushback we came on stand on the newly rennovated Pier 5 - used mostly by the OW airlines and SQ. After a very charming farewell from the crew (bless them) I marched through the sterile arrivals area and in to the main terminal building. Due to the linear way it was built, it is a LONG walk to immigration - easily .5km. As the BA and QF flights from LHR were already in I was expecting long queues at immigration and wasn't disapponted. It took about 10 minutes to get through, after a brief chat with a British family in the queue who commented on my look-at-me-aren't-I-important BA Gold and SQ PPS luggage tags.

My bags had just arrived on the belt again (I seem to be on a roll with this). I had booked another lazy plutocratic limo transfer, having had one too many hair raising BKK taxi experiences! The Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit have someone permanently stationed in arrivals and he wheeled me out to the waiting Mercedes. There is something quite wonderful about being sped to your hotel in a Merc - very civilised! Hotel report to follow.

[This message has been edited by Swanhunter (edited 10-28-2003).]
Old Oct 28, 2003, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We thundered down the Don Muang expressway at speed, and within 20 minutes the Mercedes was pulling in the hotel. Bangkok looked its normal riotous self, the only big change being the endless sign welcoming delegates to the APEC conference the week previous. The Government had purged the city of most of the street life ahead of the conference, but things seemed broadly back to normal.

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok

After flirting with the Shangri-La and the Royal Orchid Sheraton, I settled on the SGS as my Bangkok hotel of choice. The 'La is a fab hotel is a bit of a walk from the Skytrain. The Orchid is further away and on the occasion that I stayed there was underwhelming. The SGS is central, right on the Skytrain and offers great service. This is my fifth stay and if have yet to be disappointed. As SPG Gold I always get a deluxe room along with free continental breakfast - and it is quite a spread! Worth getting out of bed for. The Thai restaurant in the hotel is called Basil, and serves some fantastic examples of the local food. It's way overpriced in comparison to the street stall food, but the surroundings are very pleasant indeed.

Well, I had a great Sunday lounging around with some light shopping, eating and drinking. I had to do some work as well but that put me in good shape for a busy Monday. All too soon it was Tuesday and time to head off to HK. At least I could celebrate my acquisition of SPG Platinum status on the plane.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
First Class report so far!

You're certainly making me consider doing one of those RTW trips! But in First Class, of course!
Old Oct 28, 2003, 9:30 pm

Location: D/FW- AA Plt Hilton Diamond NWA Silver Marriott Gold
Great report!!!
Old Oct 29, 2003, 2:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Swanhunter:
well 9.30 is too early for booze, even by my louche standards.</font>
Huh? The sun must be setting somewhere!
Old Oct 29, 2003, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've really lost credibiity by admitting I don't drink that early in the morning haven't I? Thanks for the compliments anyhow!

Anyway, back on the road.

CX708 28/10/03
10:00 BKK - HKG
A330-200
J class Seat 15K

Don Muang is split into 2 terminals - though it is easy to move between them airside it does make a difference for check in. CX, and all the other OW airlines use T2 and the signs outside proudly show the OW logo next to the airline sign. Also, the same banks of desks are used by OW making it easy for regualr users to work out where to check in. BKK is one of an increasing number of airports where hold bags (and now bizarely hand baggage too) are x-rayed before check in. I'm not at all convinved by the process as I have never ever seen a bag opened and hand checked or re-screened. Check in was quick and with a total of 7 desks open no-one is any class was queuing. BKK also winds me up as you have to pay a seperate airport tax (a hefty 500baht) in cash before going through immigration. I hope the money is going to pay for the new airport being built because Don Muang doesn't look that smart any more, though it still functions reasonably efficiently.

CX offer a F and J lounge - slightly odd as there are now very few CX flights offering F from BKK - not that I am complaining you understand. The lounge has also been kitted out in the new CX style and has 2 P.C's - the most of any lounge in the airport I have visited. A nice place to pass an hour with a good view of the apron and runway activity too. It never seems to get that busy either.

More to come - I had forgotten I was going to Happy Valley tonight. I'll finish this off in the Wing tomorrow!

Old Oct 29, 2003, 3:47 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Swanhunter:
I had forgotten I was going to Happy Valley tonight.</font>
Is it race night? Hope you don't lose too much money!
Old Oct 29, 2003, 2:50 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I've really lost credibiity by admitting I don't drink that early in the morning haven't I? </font>
Is that why you have removed the 'naughty' from 'naughty NW6' in your 'from' field?
Old Oct 30, 2003, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

London Elite – yes it was Happy Valley race night – always a great experience! Sadly I had a REALLY bad night and walked away without a single winner from 6 faces. Gutted given the odds on some of the horses that came in (26-1, 18-1).

Mad_atta – I really thought I couldn’t pretend to be naughty is can’t hack with the FT hard drinkers so I’ll just go back to being from boring old NW6! J

I ambled out the lounge and walked down to pier 5, passing the newish BA/QF lounge facility on the way. It looks like TG are also opening a new Royal Orchid lounge (also available for Star Gold), much needed as the current facilities are pretty grotty. For me, BKK has the best possible security set up – a search area for each pier. It strikes a good balance between the HKG and SIN models, as it never seems to get backed up. The gate area today was very quiet – no queues at all. The passage down to the jet way takes you in a curve around the nose of the plane – a great view of the A330 for today’s flight. Oddly, there was another CX Airbus at the next gate, I am not sure why as there was no other flight for about 4 hours.

The crew were falling over themselves to ply me with drinks, blankets and headsets – looking round the cabin I soon realised why as there were only 2 other J class pax. I haven’t seen a load that light since I flew DPS – SIN at the height of SARS, when I was the only person in F or J! The ISM introduced herself and commented that if I wanted anything to let her know – even another meal as they had plenty catered! The load down the back looked very light too. Unsurprisingly, take off was lively with such a light load. Once into the climb drinks, towels and menus came around. As the flight is a non-meal time service and only a bit over 2 hours in length, CX offer a refreshment service:

Juice Selection (I had orange, which was actually tangerine – quite sweet but with lots of fruity bits)

Fresh Seasonal Fruits (a HUGE plateful including a third of a mango and a big lump of pineapple – just great)

Omelette with Cheese, Grilled Veal Chipolata with lyonnaise potatoes and grilled tomato (The omelette was pretty good, the chipolata was HORRIBLE and the potatoes swimming in grease)

Or

Stir fried Chicken with Cashew nuts, Egg Fried Rice and Stir-fried Kaolin

Chestnut Cake

Bakery Selection (either croissant or rolls – the croissant was good and came with half decent marmalade)

Given the load, everything was hand served First Class style and the F/A serving was very chatty and wanted to know my opinion on everything. She agreed the catering ex BKK can be a bit hit and miss! The whole way through I was addresses by name – easy when you only have 3 pax I suppose. Great service as always, but I was left puzzling one thing from the last 5 flights. Why does the band around the napkin containing the cutlery have a little plastic clip? It seems to serve no purpose at all. There were also credit card sized 2004 calendars on the tray, decorated with a photo of the delectable Grace Hetherington, Flight Purser. Wonderful eyebrows!

The rest of the flight was uneventful and it was a beautiful day at FL360.I spent a while. I am picked up a bit of a cold in BKK and felt a bit lethargic, so I spent a while staring out the window at the pretty clouds. No ATC delays but for a change we came in from the north east and landed on the right hand runway, sweeping in over the terminal buildings. While we didn’t get gate 1, we were put on 61 instead – 5 flights and 2 gates so far.

One of the things that has always impressed me about the CX operation at HKG is the way they meet people off the flight who have tight connections – there were 2 agents at the end of the jetway brandishing pieces of paper showing the names of those connecting on to London. On and off that bloody train again and – wonderfully – there was NO queue at immigration at all. Wow!

I managed to synchronise my arrival at Belt 8 with the bowels of the baggage handling system vomiting my case onto the carousel – great timing yet again! I was on my way into town within 20 minutes of arriving on the gate. The air was very hazy but we still got a good daytime view of the scenery on the way into Kowloon. Another 10 minutes and I was arriving at the HK Sheraton again. Sadly there was no suite upgrade this time – in fact I wasn’t even on the SPG floors. Still, I had a comparatively spacious corner room and there was very little noise coming up from Nathan Road below. The windows sort of faced the harbour, so I could at least see the Bank of China tower in the distance.

And that brings me to the Wing, ready for the next leg, where the RTW abuse really starts.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I checked in for the LAX flight at the airport. There is a very comprehensive and well used in town check at both the Kowloon and Central Airport Express stations, but for ‘security’ reasons US flights are airport check in only. The formalities were taken care of quickly and yet another health declaration form to fill in. Oddly, I had to accompany my bag over to the conveyor belt ‘in case’ it needed to be checked. It wasn’t, so off to the Wing, which was busy but not crowded, despite now being used by Swiss passengers too. The First class section has taken over some of the seating next door making things more comfortable. After the usual drink, surf and call routine I dragged my laptop bag down to WH Smith to get some reading material for the 13-hour epic ahead.

CX880 30/10/03
23:35 HKG – LAX
A340-600
J class, Seat 11K

Boarding was slow to get started and the area around Gate 4 was packed with the cross-section of humanity normally found on a long haul flight. We finally got on around 23:15 so an on time departure looked unlikely. Boarding was through the HK standard dual airbridge. There is something quite teasing about walking on to the plane through door 1L and having to walk past the lovely F suites on the way back to wannabe class! Having been lucky enough to get upgraded to F from HKG to YYZ earlier this year the memories are all too vivid.

Anyway, back in ‘not quite made it class’ the cabin was filling quite quickly. The shiny new A340-600 is fitted with New Business Class. The NBC seat is no different to that fitted to the 747, but of course there are no handy little storage lockers on the Airbus. A cotton/silk pillow and blanket, plus a headset were already laid out. The front row of J does have some extra space on top of the mini bulkhead where the TV monitors are mounted this is only for the pairs of seats on the left and right. The centre pair have a very large bulkhead in front, and the screen seems much higher – probably rather uncomfortable to look at. The -600 also features LED overhead reading lights. I really didn’t like these – they are non-adjustable and the light is very harsh. Indeed, the whole plane has a rather clinical feel to it, not at all restful. There is also a small bar area in the J class galley which is available between meal services.

Drinks were brought round by the rather harassed looking team and the ISM came to say hello with the relevant US Immigration and Customs forms. Grey amenity kits were also given out before take off. The men’s kits contained a few bits and bobs – one notable omission is a shaving kit which is only available in the lavs along with a decent selection of potions and the very neat Evian water mister. My female seat opponent got a Hello Kitty style pink and white kit instead – very sexist!

We pushed back about 15 minutes late and once airborne listened to the formulaic pilots announcement. Having grown up with the frequently entertaining BA pilot’s announcement, the lack of imagination that CX shows is rather sad. I suspect that a combination of the rulebook and the issues between CX management and pilots have a lot to do with it. The Purser distributed menus and there was a long gap before the drink and food service started. I had a quick wander around the cabin, noting a couple of empty seats. In the large forward cabin (rows 11-17). Y was pretty packed, and peeking over the curtain F was totally full!

Given the flight times, the food service is logically quite sparse. That means less typing, so here is the menu:

Supper

Salad

Seasonal Mixed Salad with Pesto Marinated Chicken and Balsamic Vinegar Dressing

Entrée (no it’s not, it’s a main course! Entrée is a starter or appetiser. Fools!)

Grilled Beef Fillet with Onion and Mustard Sauce, served with Potato Wedges and Seasonal Mixed Vegetables (oh dear, oh dear. The first attempt was cold and it wasn’t much better after heating up – soggy potatoes, plastic steak though the vegetables were OK. Very disappointing.)

Prawn Butterfly wrapped in Bean Curd Skin served with Egg Fried Rice and Choy Sum

Light Choice

Noodles in Soup with Roast Duck

Cheese and Dessert

Cheese Plate (a decent cheddar and Gouda, plus some Boursin muck)

Fresh Fruit

Pear Charlotte with Cherry Sauce

Then the usual bread and rolls (including garlic bread – yeah!). Olive Oil is available to go with this.

Cathay also offer a snack service available at any time prior to the refreshment service, though the offering is quite sparse and could do with some more carbohydrate and fat laden offerings! The choice was either

Noodles in Soup with Roast Duck

Assorted Sandwiches

Haagen Dazs Ice Cream

The wine list was a curious mixture of the regional offerings plus some extra’s:

Champagne Deutz Brut Classic (very mediocre – while well balanced offered no great flavour and was a little over sweet. I far prefer Billecart)

White Wine

Louis Max Pouilly Vinzelles 2000
De Loach Californian Chardonnay 2001

Red Wine

Geyser Peak Sonoma County Shiraz 2000 (nice and spicy, worked well at altitude)
Louis Max Mercurey Domaine La Marche 1999

Port

Dow LBV 1996 (went well with the cheddar, still quite young and fresh)

Having put back that lot, I settled down to watch the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The film was so bad that half way through I decided I would be better off sleeping instead. The seat opponent had gone to sleep shortly after take off from HKG so I was well behind her in getting my head down. I managed about 7 hours worth of kip. The flat-on-an-incline NBC seat is much easier to sleep on than any of the conventional business class seats I have tried, but overall BA’s NCW bed beats it hands down when it comes to sleeping.

Having woken up – just in time to watch the sun set over the Pacific – I played around with the IFE and watched a couple of short programmes before refreshment time! And here are the offerings

Juice

Fruit

Scrambled Eggs with Cottage Cheese on English Muffin with Veal Sausage, Tomato and Button Mushrooms

Mini Glutinous Rice in Lotus Leaf with Dim Sum (Dim Sum was great – remarkably fresh)

Plain Congee with Dried Scallop and Gingko Nuts, Glutinous Rice Dumpling with Five Spiced Pork in Bamboo Leaves

Bread Selection

All very pleasant – and it is much easier to eat when you have full metal cutlery on offer. When did that rule change? Swooping in over the California coast on our descent into LAX we got some great views of the sodium light lit coastline and LA in particular. It’s a very linear city – rectangular blocks and straight streets. We made up time over the Pacific and came in about 10 minutes ahead of schedule. We then lost all of that time again with a grand tour of the taxiways of LAX before finally coming on the gate at TBIT bang on schedule.

Of my 6 CX flights, that was the most disappointing. It really didn’t feel special in any way and while the service was perfectly competent there was none of the personal, thoughtful touches I experience on the other 5.

Any what of CX overall? Well, I firmly believe they are number 1 of the major carriers. A very solid all round product that consistently delivers excellent service, and sometimes the exceptional. SQ has lost ground in comparison and I believe that ANA have crept ahead of them into second place behind CX.

LAX was on form tonight and it took me 1.5 hours to clear immigration. Why the INS find it impossible to either employ more people in don’t understand. For that matter, why not charge for a fast-track service and use the money raised to employee more people? It would also be nice if TBIT could have some decent a/c installed in the hall – it was stinky hot. All in all, not a good welcome to the US, though I was spared an interrogation once I finally got to the checkpoint (the once potent effect of my Saudi, UAE and Bahrani passport stamps seems to have worn off). The CX arrival team had put my case onto a trolley for me and were waiting patiently for me to arrive. Evidently a lot of other people got through quicker than I. Thankfully, Customs was a breeze and the Hilton shuttle was waiting for me at the kerb.

Hilton LAX Hotel and Towers

Having secured SPG Platinum status, the remainder of the hotel stays on this trip is dedicated to maintaining my Hilton Gold status! So, forgoing the Heavenly bed at the Westin I check in to the Hilton. An impressive lobby filled with wedding guests (!) looked promising but the rooms were standard airport hotel issue. On closer inspection, the furniture was a very strange combination of ‘70s futuristic, dark wood, cane and bland corporate American. All a bit weird. The bathroom was tiny with a dysfunctional showerhead. Nothing special at all. But as I was checking out 6 hours later, all I wanted was to sleep. This proved a little difficult as my room faced 2 of the runways! Exciting though the sound of 747’s taking off is, I prefer silence when trying to sleep. At last, a use for amenity kit air plugs.

AA2402 31/10/03
0724 LAX – DFW
767-300
F class, Seat 2A

Any time before 6am is stupid o’clock in my book. 4.45 is just plain nasty – and I shared a shuttle to the airport with a load of other people who seemed to feel the same way. Terminal 4 was very quiet indeed and the premium check desk agent was pleased to see me – I think I helped relieve the boredom. She was very chatty, which helped to lift the gloom a little. AA’s facility at LAX is nice, with the premium and Qantas check in areas in a separate wing of the building, away from the hoi polloi. This also gives separate access to security, a little superfluous when the airport is quiet, but a real bonus when busy I am sure.

The Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge open at 6.15 so I joined the short queue waiting for the doors to open. Once in, I had to remind the agent that OW Emerald = Flagship Lounge so please could I have a magnetic card to get in? I would have thought they would see enough QF members alone at that terminal to know the rules! The architecture is very similar to the DFW A Gate A.C, lots of exposed stone. Upstairs, the Flagship Lounge is tucked around the corner behind a discrete door. Another agent sits behind there, and she gave me the full welcome spiel – drinks here, food here and it’s all complimentary.

The lounge is airy with a full-length glass wall looking out over the apron. There is plenty of seating oddly arranged with backs to the view, and a row of recliner chairs with Bose headsets on one side of the entrance. On the other is a decent spread of booze. At this point I need to make clear that my breakfast was champagne (sadly only Moet)– just to prove I can! I followed a glass up with some yoghurt and water. There were also some bagels, pancakes and croissant available, plus a machine that made a half-decent espresso. The only real omissions are any P.C’s for use - though I think there is a cyber café in the main lounge. I am quite impressed, and being the only person in there made for a peaceful start to the morning – save for one moment. The lady dealing with the catering turned on one of the TV’s and selected a channel playing an evangelist preacher. The sound of hellfire and brimstone soon attracted the attention the lounge agent who wanted to know what that was on. The reaction? ‘Well it is Halloween!’ That had me chuckling for at least 10 minutes!

Boarding started right on time and I walked down the jet way with a cheery ‘have a nice flight Mr Swanhunter’ ringing in my ears, thinking that AA’s staff seem to have upped their game. That was soon dispelled by the 4 f/a’s slouching at the entrance of the place looking at me with variations of theme of disinterest and boredom. Don’t worry, I’ll find my own seat……which as I was in 2A wasn’t going to be very difficult. J

This was my first time on board the much talked about 2 class 767-300. My impressions are mixed. The legroom is great – even at the bulkhead I really have to stretch my legs right out to touch it. But, the seat is very narrow – I really wouldn’t like to do a long overnight in it. I personally find both the headrest and the lumbar support a little uncomfortable too – fine for 2/3 hours but I would imagine rather uncomfortable for much longer. It’s a great pity that the opportunity to install some form of in-seat IFE wasn’t taken either. I do understand all the financial reasons why, but surely it would be a worthwhile long-term investment?

I was sat next to an American Eagle First Officer who was heading home. This made for interesting conversation and we spent a couple of hours talking about AA, Eagle, planes and the aviation world in general – he had some good stories and I was interested to find out how much pilots love the 757, a plane I personally dislike with a passion. A good change from reading/working or sleeping and I was shocked to find out how little he earns. I had naively assumed all pilots/F.O’s earn a packet - not so in the US.

The onboard service was a little spotty. No pre take off drinks but the meal service was soon in full flow. We did get drinks before take off (with several people getting stuck in to the dubious ‘champagne’ served on board). I stayed with OJ and tucked in to the fruit plate that started the breakfast service. We were offered a choice of cereal, pancakes or something I can’t remember but didn’t sound very nice. The pancakes seemed a good idea, and they were pretty tasty with a bonus garnish of chorizo sausage. Once again, the sautéed potato garnish was pretty foul. Probably the best part of the whole meal was the cinnamon and raisin bagel with cream cheese, very tasty and also gave the cabin a great aroma.

The spotty service continued, with the off duty F/A’s in the rest of row 2 receiving copious refills of drinks and lots of attention from the crew. The rest of us? We could just sit and watch the world go by. I know that the FA’s generally have had a rough time, but things aren’t going to get better is that is the way they behave.

We were about 30 minutes early (!) on the ground at DFW. Inevitably this meant we then stood on the taxiway for 15 minutes waiting for our gate to clear. Still 15 minutes early is not to be sniffed at. We came on the C concourse and as my connecting flight to SJU was going from A, I ventured on to the TrAAin for the first time. It’s an interesting way to see the bowels of the airport, but I am not sure it is much faster than walking!

I still had around 90 minutes to kill, so I popped in to the Admirals Club by Gate A23, sighing sadly when I got upstairs and walked past the old Flagship Lounge. I soon cheered myself up by investing my 2 free drink coupons in a couple of bottles of beer – Sam Adams to be precise. It helped the time pass while working.

AA606 30/10/03
13:24 DFW – SJU
757-200
J class Seat 2E

I wandered up the concourse to Gate 21, marvelling at the inefficient design of DFW where you seem to walk for miles without going anywhere. At Gate 21, boarding had just started so I joined the queue of happy looking holidaymakers shuffling on to the jetway. The agent seemed to be having some issues with the home printed BP’s that AA use – every time she scanned one the whole machine seized up. This slowed things up a bit, but everyone seemed pretty calm. Getting on the plane took time too as we had the usual problems encountered when everyone seems to bring 2 huge roll on board cases on to the plane. I hate to think what would happen if we encountered really sever turbulence and of the overheads broke – some really nasty injuries to be sure. It will happen one day and there will be the usual knee jerk reaction, until then everyone carries on trying to fit a quart into a pint pot.

I was amazed when the doors closed to find the seat next to me empty – what a luxury. My amazement was short lived as a dead heading pilot was upgraded into 2F. He was in uniform and therefore travelling space positive with an upgrade where possible so I am not going to be-grudge him much, but the spare seat would have been nice.

The 757 ‘boasts’ some of the oldest looking seats in both cabins that I have seen in many years. The First seat is covered in what looks like nursing home standard issue fake leather, complemented by 20-year-old chrome accessories. The 40” pitch makes the cabin look cramped. However, the width of the seats is great and they are surprisingly comfortable to sit in. An overnight flight might be a different story.
The lavs also reek to high heaven – time for them to be thoroughly cleaned with a steam hose.

No pre-take off drinks on this flight either, but orders were taken for after take off and dinner. We also got hot towels before the dinner service started! The menu was:

Salad with either sour cream or what looked like French (freedom perhaps? ) dressing (the leaves looked a little sad, but raisins were a welcome treat!)

Main Course

Puerto Rican Pot Roast (it sounded intriguing and tasted rather good – a nice slab of beef, carrots and spicy rice)

Roast Chicken

Corn Chowder Soup

Selection of rolls – either sourdough or cheese

Dessert

Sundaes with a selection of toppings

Fresh Fruit (a nice plate of pineapple and melon)

All this was served with a halfway drinkable Californian Merlot, and I had a Courvoisier as a digestif. All that sounds good – and indeed it was. But there were a few little irritations i.e no plate for your roll, only one set of cutlery; stupid little inconsistencies that spoil the over all experience.

This crew was efficient and professional without actually being friendly, though they seemed to take great delight in trying to ply me with more brandy. I gave way easily enough – and then feel asleep for the next 2 hours! I woke up again about 20 minutes out of San Juan with a slightly throbbing head – brandy contains plenty of nasty chemicals that give you headaches.

We arrived on time at Luis Munoz Marin airport and were disembarking within 5 minutes. It was a very short walk to baggage reclaim, and a very long wait for out bags. How it can take 30 minutes to get the bags from the plane to the belt I do not know, especially as there were no other flights arriving at the same time. Frustrating indeed.

Accommodation in San Juan is amazingly expensive. I had booked a room at the Hampton Inn for US$129 – rather a lot of money for something so non-descript. Hotel shuttles are not allowed by law in Puerto Rico (I’d love to know why) so I had to fork out US$9 for a taxi to go to a hotel I could see from the arrivals area! Nice work for the taxi drivers – no wonder they all had nice watches on. Taxis also have to be arranged with the Ground Transportation Authority – whether that is to protect you from the world-wide standard of taxi driver scams or there is some sort of cartel in action I know not.

Hampton Inn and Suites

I have never stayed at this brand before – and was only really doing so to get another stay towards my Hilton Honours account. Check in was nice and friendly, the receptionist calling me Mr Swanhunter from England, and then proceeded to tell me about the wonderful vacation she had in London 2 years ago! I was allocated a room on the first floor – I have no idea whether this room constituted an upgrade or not but it looked like a suite of sorts to me. The room was by no means glamorous, and looked reasonably well used but everything worked and was in place. My welcome amenity of water and Oreo cookies was in place by the bed too!

Sleep came very easily, as did 5:45am when it was time to get up again.

Old Nov 2, 2003, 2:05 am
Suspended

London Elite – yes it was Happy Valley race night – always a great experience! Sadly I had a REALLY bad night and walked away without a single winner from 6 faces. Gutted given the odds on some of the horses that came in (26-1, 18-1).
</font>
Sorry to hear that. If you're at the London Do I'll buy you a beer!
Old Nov 2, 2003, 2:16 am
Suspended

Entrée (no it’s not, it’s a main course! Entrée is a starter or appetiser. Fools!)
</font>
He He...

Excellentg report Swanhunter. Safe travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.