Wiki Posts
Search

Concorde, BA F and BA J

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2003, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Concorde, BA F and BA J

After having been lucky enough to find availability for a Concorde award redemption for 125k miles via QF I thought I would write up a trip report for FTers as well as friends.

Photos can be found at http://www.snapfish.com/share/p=8972...andOid=1000143

Flight: JFK-LHR BA Concorde BA002
Date: October 3, 2003
A/C registration: GBOAC
Max speed: Mach 2, 1340 M/h
Max Altitude: 57000 feet.

The 'trip' started the night before when I got a phone call from my fiance in LAX after just having hung up with her - it was 12.30am NYC time Oct 3. She said BA had just called to say Concorde was delayed. At first I didn't believe her - thought she was just playing with my emotions. Then I went online an checked and sure enough - instead of 9 am dep it was now 11 am departure. So I put my alarm back 2 hrs, called the car service and put them back 2 hrs - this way I could now sleep in till 7.30 instead of 5.30. Good theory - poor execution - only got 2-3 hours sleep - way to excited (and also somewhat stressed about the escrow close on a recently purchased house in LAX).

The car service turned up early. For some reason the driver decided to try to get to Mach2 on the way to JFK - despite the fact that there was rush hour traffic. I don't know where the oxygen masks in the cab were supposed to drop out off (I must have missed the safety demo???) but I sure as hell needed them.

Got to JFK and went round to the far left of the terminal and followed the Concord signs - check in was empty with the agents talking among themselves. I checked in - first thing I noticed was that the BP was a normal BA one. I asked for a blank Concorde one - the check in agent said she couldn't give me a blank one but could print one out with my name on it as memorabilia. Cool. It was then that I noticed that even though when booking I had reserved 16A I was issued with 4D - quite a coup to be in the front cabin and so close to the front.

I went through the security line - as I was getting my stuff at the other end my carry-on starts buzzing - everyone looks around weirdly - I get embarassed. Instantly I thought my shaver had come on - and sure enough it had. Given the "risks of terrorism" and a buzzing bag - no one seemed very concerned prior to discovery of the cause. All the security staff was good humoured and courteous (not the TSA we know is it?).

Found my way to the Concorde Room - and snagged a table for breakfast. Started with a coffee just to keep me awake as I had only slept for 2-3 hours. Overheard a conversation on the next table between what sounded like an Aussie and a frenchman about FF miles programs. Continued my breakfast - scrambled eggs were just OK - somewhat flavourless. Champagne (Piper Heidsick) was quite good though. I was trying to spot cleberities - although clearly they would not arrive in the lounge as early as nuts like me. I saw one guy going for coffee and he seemed familiar - at first I thought he was some English actor. But just then I opened the business section on the NY Times and there he was on the front page - Calvin Klein.

Then I heard myself paged - as "alect" - and my first thought was another FTer was trying to find me - it was - JohnSydney2000 - actually the guy who had been sitting at the next table and I had thought sounded Australian. So we had a very good chat - I told him to get them to print him another BP as they real one would be torn and only the stub left.

Unfortunately our a/c was parked at a gate out of sight of the Concorde Room, but at 10am they brought round the a/c which would be BA004 that day - right in front of the bar area in the Concorde Room. A wall of people covered the windows with cameras (see photos). I had thought I would be the only one taking that once in a lifetime SSC flight, but I think the 'once-in-a-life-photographers' outnumbered any regulars.

Got lots of photos of us in front of the big bird. It was a struggle there for a while as everyone was jostling for the same spot for that perfectly framed photo.

Soon enough the boarding call was made. The only disappointment was that boarding was not directly through the lounge but was at a 'normal' gate - Gate 2 in this instance. I wonder whether that's standard practice at JFK?John & I got some photos at the gate before boarding.

As we boarded we were greeted by Jerry the CSD for the flight. He was a cheery chap, it was apparently his last flight on the big bird after 280 odd flights. He even let us take a photos of the pre-flight checks in the cockpit. I was seated at 4D - the row in front of Calvin Klein. My carry one was nowhere close to fitting in the overhead and I had to walk back to the fron closet and push it in there - I hate people like me .

Sat myself down and chatted to my new neighbour - Alex from Texas. He worked for Bell helicpoters and was obviously an aviation 'enthusiast'. He had purchased his ticket on eBay (even I who had shopped for an engagement ring online would not be adventurous/thrillseeking enough to buy a Concorde ticket on eBay). Anyway apparently it was supposed to be $6500, but then the vendor realized that he could not get the tickets round trip. Apparently his reputation was not the best (shock horror) - in other words Alex was ripped off or nearly so - he got the BA002 ticketed and was returning in Econ and was trying to get $2500 back from the vendor. Needless to say he was none too pleased to learn my Concorde-F round trip had cost me $101 in taxes (oh and 125000 miles). Even as a non FTer and non frequent traveller he though 125k was a good use of miles.

The captain explained the takeoff procedure and we were off. The take-off down the runway was lightening fast - even to the naked eye it was fast compared to a normal jet. After take off we made a left and 60 seconds in, the after burners were switched off (due to the noise over populated areas). We felt a significant slowing as they were turned off. We 'glided' over Jamaica and the Rockaways, and after clearing the coast, we felt the jolt as first one then the other afterburner was switched back on - it felt as it would in a car getting a turbo boost. And from there we continued to climb - both in altitute and speed. Being in row 4 the front of cabin display was clearly visible and clearly within camera shot without needing to get up and walk down the aisle (would have to wait the crowds to get to the front anyway ). And I have to commend the crew and especially Jerry the CSD - they had a tolugh job to do (serving down the narrow aisle) but at the same time had PAXs walking down the aisle throughout the flight to take pictures of the speed/altittude display. They were at all times accomodating and extremely good humoured about it and would do anything possible to make this a memorable experience for all PAX.

We were served an amuse-bouche of canapes and then the lunch/breakfast service followed:

Appetiser - Caviar (with beautifully presented 'acoutrements') (see photo)
Entrees -

English Breakfast
Free-range chicken breast with black truffle, foie gras, savoyu cabbage and fondante potato
Lobster and saffron crushed potato cakes with spinach and Bloody Mary relish
Fennel and orange salad with goats cheese and pinenuts

Dessert-

Chocolate pear tart or Cheese (stilton, Cevere and Pecorino with Balsamic vinegar

(an alternative of lite sandwiches were also offered).

The caviar was amazing, and I had the chicken with truffles which was superb (see photo).

Champagne was Pol Roger Brut Rose 1996, and the wine list as follows:
White - Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Morgeot 1998
Red - Chateau La Lagune 1995 Grand Cru Classe Haut-Medoc
Port - 1982 Colheita Port.

The seat, as has been mentioned by many, is not exactly F class. Not even NCW. But it has sufficient leg room (for a 3.5 hour flight) - about the same IMHO as F seat on AA on 757 (but not as wide). Recline (not just of the back - the whole seat 'rocks') is fine too to relax. The interesting thing I found was the arm rest between the seats when lifted, unlike normal middle arm rests, actually twisted sideways to fit into the narrow gap between the seat-backs.

On one of my trips to the toilet (which has to be the smallest toilet in the skies) I managed a glance through the manifest. There I was a lonely Sapphire among a swathe of Emeralds (not sure how I had scored 4D). I did not manage to figure out who the elder gentlement (and his son/secretary) was in the row in front of me - I thought nobility who had clearly travelled on concorde several times before as Jerry recognised them.

Soon enough the Concorde Collection/Duty Free came down. By the time they got to me (and I didn't see too many purchases from the first 3 rows) they were out of paper weight (which I ordered and would be shipped to me) but I did buy some cuff links and a key ring.

Soon enough we were nearing London and both the altitude and speed started dropping. Because of cloud cover I could not see too much of the ground. Just before landing apparently some good views were to be had out of the other side of the plane.

The landing was definitely memorable. As with the take off, it was clearly discernible just how fast we were going as the wheels first touched the ground. Frankly my thought was "just how the hell are they going to stop this thing?". And then I found out - some kick ... reverse thrust and breaks. I have never felt such breaking on a landing. Someone's camera flew down the centre aisle. It really does feel like they need a parachute for landings a la the Shuttle.

Taxiing took some time - especially waiting to cross the take-off runway. So much for expecting Concorde to get preference on the ground when taxiing. We finally arrived at Gate 12 and walked off - I had a feeling of not wanting to get off and not wanting this to end.

Despite expecting some red carpet treatment on disembarkation - I could see none. There were some "Special Services" people but they just watched us go by. At passport control, not only was there no special Concorde exit (as I had heard) but even Fast Track was closed. So those of us who were not EC citizens had to join the "Others" line which was quite substantial. I couldn't believe this was happening. Then I spied one of the "Special Services" BA people talking to a customs guy about Concorde passengers, and then she came back to the back of the line trying to muster the Concorde passengers. I quickly ducked under the railings and was first in the new "Concorde" line. I quickly passed through (the agent asked me where I had come from - "JFK" - "On Concorde" he asked - I said "yes" - was there a tinge of envy in his question?).

The baggage came out soon after I got to the carousel. I waited for JohnSydney2000 but he didn't seem to be coming out (several people had wanted to stay back to take pictures in the cockpit) and my friends were waiting for me.

I caught the tube - although one came quite soon we waited for some time at T1-3 - had I known I would have switched to the other train waiting as it left before us.

The Tube was not crowded at this time of Sat night.

London weekend was fun - was taken to an excellent Sardinian restaurant by a friend's husband on Sat night - Sardo somewhere near Warren St tube. Although it was 60 pounds each it was well worthwhile - everything was excellent.

Oct 5, 2003
LHR-JFK BA178
A/C: 747-400

I got to LHR early to partake of the Concorde Room. Check in was quick and easy (to the far right of the T4 check in areas - for First and Concorde pax) - I noticed Club World check in line was about 10 deep). Through Fast Track (which itself had quite a line - but not as long as the standard line). Had no problems entering Concorde Room with my F BP. Managed to snag a prime window front armchair. I must say I expected more from the Concord room - the chairs looked worn and sagged. Pillows had been placed in them - but they didn't make the sitting experience much better. I immediately went down to book my massage at the MB spa downstairs. The earliest slot I could get was 5 pm. In the meantime I indulged in Champagne, soup and ordered a Chinese Prawn Salad which was brough to my arm chair in front of the window. The soup was good as was the salad - although nothing to rave home about. Again the champagne was Piper-Hiedsick.

The massage (neck and back) was great - although I usually prefer it more "deep-tissue" and it lasted for 15-20 mins. I was offered a herbal tea afterwards and was given sample MB products. I was sceptical but whatever it was was fantastic stuff - would consider buying. After that and a shower I was upstairs again. This time more and more Concorde pax for BA001 were gathering. I overheard one guy from Wellington, NZ who had come just for this flight. he had been on waitlist and was informed 4 days ago that a seat had become available. There was an undeniable buzz of excitement on the lounge - especially so as the a/c was brought round in front of the windows and the air-bridge entered into past the smoke glass doors marked "Concorde". Everyone took photos (including myself - couldn't help myself).

I was going to wait till the Concorde passengers boarded but my flight (BA178) was called and it was quite a hike to the gate so I thought I better head off.

I boarded the aircraft - and for the first time for this F virgin - turned left . My seat was 2K (after much reading of opinions on FT). The other seats quickly filled up (I noticed one other pax who had also been on my BA002 on Oct 3 and was now in F on the same flight - he was AA Plt). One of the pax was Sir David Frost (5A I believe). Drinks were served (champagne for moi) and we wre ready for take off.

One of the nice things was that as we taxiid for takeoff we were right behind BA001. And we got to watch her take off slightly from the side and from behind - and got a great view of the afterburners. I have also never experienced such a noise - as the started from stand still, the noise was defeaning and our whole cabin shook. Amazing.

The first thing I noticed different to Club World - I couldn't believe how quiet the cabin was (other than BA001 takeoff in fron tof us). Now I understand we were further from the engines, but not much (especially compared to CW upper deck). Not only was it much quieter - throughout the flight not just take off and landing) but also felt much smoother. It really felt like we were gliding on air - there was not even a hint of engine noise (or other noise for that matter).

The menu was:

First Courses-

Michel Roux's lobster and tabouleh salad
Glazed Pecorino cheese and potato tart
White bean and oregano soup
Mixed seasonal salad served with your choice of dressing

Main Courses-

Grilled fillet of beef, roast shallot and balsamic butter served with a small baed potato, roast vine plum tomato and mushrooms
Vineet Bhatia's pan-fried spiced halibut, upma-Indian couscous, raw mango julienne and turmeric sauce
Roast guinea fowl with truffle stuffing, truffle and cepe reduction and potatoes fondantes
Freshly cooked pasta with your choiuce of tomato, artichoke and smoked paprika or roast mushroom and thyme cream sauce served with freshly grated Grana Padano cheese.

Dessert-

Rhubarb and honey crumble with custard
Vineet Bhatia's Reshmi Mithai - chocolate silky torte with pine kernel, cashew and pistachio nut brittle
Selection of fresh fruit
Cheese - Capricorn, Mull of Kintyre, Gubbeen, Blue Wensleydale and Rustique Camembert

I had the lobster and tabouleh saled, White bean soup and halibut. Each dish was exquisitely created and prepared, with fantastic flavours and textures. Could not be faulted. The dessert, too, was impeccable.

After the meal service I asked for the sleep suit, which was promptly brought. I have to say the FA who attended to me was exceptional in her service - attentive without being disruptive, and always a smile on her face. I watched some movies - Legally Blonde 2 (awful) and Life of David Gale (excellent) from the tape collection. Then I decided to take a nap. Have to say that although the seat was longer and possibly slightly wider than te Club World seat, I did not think was I paying or using miles I would spend the extra - the benefits were marginal (I am 5'10"/175cm). To some extent the seat is more private but in another respect you are also more open to the rest of the cabin - I could see other passengers. I usually travel in upper deck window Club seats, and the extra space with the side-storage and being cocooned away from the cabin makes it a very private experience.

Experienced the much larger toilet in F - but most of all liked the window in it. All they need to do now is turn the toilet seat around so that one can wonder out the window as one "sits on the throne" - who needs a newspaper. The other difference I noticed and liked was the motion sensor tap in the toilet. Now this is very useful (I hate those time defined pressable things in the rest of the a/c) - and I don't understand why they weren't installed in at least the CW toilets as well.

I also enjoyed the ability to look almost straight on out of the windows from my seat.

All in all it was a great experience. And to round it off - being first off the plane is a huge plus - especially with US Customs. there were already some stragglers from a previous flight in line as we neared passport control But soon the line grew and grew - all the way up the ramp. Even the US citizens line was substantial. The processing was just very slow.

Mine was done quite quickly and I sped through (having no checked luggage) the baggage claim area and was out. Caught the escalator up to departures and quickly checked in for my return to LHR - this time slumming it in CW. Through the same security as Concorde pax and into the lounge. Had some pre-flight dining (which was fine) and some libations, and we were soon boarding.

Oct 5, 2003
JFK-LHR BA182
A/C: 747-400

The upper deck on this flight was half full - only about 5 or so pax. As soon as we took off, I had a glass of wine, told the F/A that I wasn't dining (I think as did many of the pax that flight) and popped 2 Temazepam. I have never slept so well on a flight, and awoke 20 mins prior to landing at LHR rested and alert.

Getting off the plane I headed straight through T4 connections and to the Terraces Lounge (Gate 10). As I entered I bumped into an employee who had been manning the MB Spa the day before. She looked at me and laughed - she couldn't believe I was back. She knew my flight last night was to JFK and now I was b ack - she realised that I had just turned around. She was amazed and we had a good chuckle. She asked me where I was going and I said Dubai (didn't mention that too was going to be a turnaround). She said "And you are going to hang around here for 9 hours?" - sure was . I dumped my bags and went downstairs to book a spa treatment - this time opting for a facial just to try something different (being a facial virgin). The woman doing my facial was the same as had given me my neck and back massage the previous day and she too was very amused that she was seeing me again the next day.

I spent the next few hours reading, surfing the web and eating/drinking. The Terraces lounge does get hectic at busy times - there were always people walking by looking for seats. I had snagged a great seats with Ottoman in front of the windows and close to the computers. Again that evening saw Concorde being brough around. There were also the usual QF BA kangaroo route flights departing that eveing. I overheard (not in detail) a QF SG complaining loudly about not being upgraded or something of the sort - the CSA was telling him the flights were very full with the World Cup and there was nothing they could do - and told him to call QFF customer service. He was being unnecessarily loud in the lounge i thought.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 7:04 am

Programs: Skyhigh Airlines Platinum for Life

Thank you for your excellent report (and photos)!

It's sad to read, that some ppl got ripped off on ebay with buying concorde tickets .
Old Oct 20, 2003, 10:25 pm

Thanks for a wonderful and descriptive report! It is sad to hear that Concord is going to be a historic item soon.

Also glad to hear that Caviar is back onboard -- I guess it has to return for the final month of operation.

The pictures are nice, but the plastic eating utensils really don't match the beautiful china and linen...

Thanks,
carfield
Old Oct 20, 2003, 11:28 pm
Uli

Funny to hear we were on the same Concorde flight!
By the way, I know one person who was in the Concorde after us, and because we have been in the lounge so long due to the delay, it was closed after us for 30 mins for cleaning as it looked like a trashcan and there was a champaign shortage.

Due to the delay and more time in the Concorde room for most of the pax I had the impression everybody drank at least on bottle of champaign before boarding
Sorry for you guys on BA 004

So I save time to write a report, thank you ... !
Old Oct 21, 2003, 3:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Great report!

Just wondering, why the JFK-LHR-JFK-LHR hop? Just burning miles?
Old Oct 21, 2003, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
Awesome report! That picture with the picked off chicken and caption made me laugh all day! You really got the celeb experience on both flights!
Old Oct 21, 2003, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LondonElite:
Great report!

Just wondering, why the JFK-LHR-JFK-LHR hop? Just burning miles?
</font>
I was already on a DONE4 JFK-LHR so got the Concorde/F round trip nested within that - worked out well.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 5:21 pm

Location: Washington, DC; ::UA UGS, 1K :: Hertz Platinum :: SCClub Ambassador ::
Great report. Excellent read.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 1:21 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Alect, great report - have been waiting to read it. Takes me back to my one and only Concorde flight in Aug 02, as part of my F RTW (paid). Got the cufflinks as well!!

Will answer your email tonight, but can't believe that we may miss one another in Australia.

Perhaps when Mrs QF WP and I go through LAX in Jan 04 we can catch up. Will let you know the flights/dates when finalised.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great report - I love the fact you went from Concorde to the tube - very classy!
Old Oct 23, 2003, 9:10 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Plat No 0010XXX, AA Plat 2 MM, Sinbad Blue, HHonors Dia., Marriott Titanium, IHG Amb
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alect:
After having been lucky enough to find availability for a Concorde award redemption for 125k miles via QF I thought I would write up a trip report for FTers as well as friends.
</font>
Alect,
I want to congratulate you on a wonderful trip report. I really enjoyed meeting up prior to the flight…it was just great to share parts of the day with a fellow Aussie traveller. I am glad the photos turned out so well, they preserve what are some great memories.

Just one or two things to add about the trip:

1. I had 18A, just after the widening of the delta wing. What amazed me was that about half way through the flight, when I guess the wing was really starting to heat up, it slowly turned a blackish purple colour. Then, just after the beginning of descent from 57,000 feet, one really felt the drop in speed and steep loss of altitude. Out my window, the white colour returned almost before my eyes. Starting at the outer wing, inch by inch, the white advanced in towards the fuselage so quickly as the wing cooled, until after a few minutes, the whole delta wing was white again. I am not a metallurgist, but the physics of what the aircraft goes through must be amazing.

2. The camera. I had the joy of my fellow traveler being a delightful young Englishwoman. As we touched down, she was just holding her digital camera in her hand. She told me she thought she had a firm grip on it, but when the afterburners went on, she said it literally flew out of her hand, rocketed all the way down the aisle (past Alect in 4D) and crashed into the pilot’s cabin door. It was brought back by the helpful cabin staff, dented, but still operable.

I am sorry I missed you at LHR arrivals, it took ages to for photos and autographs, chatting etc.
Your summary of LHR-JFK was excellent. Very similar to report on my trip on Oct 2nd, minus the celebrity factor.

Congratulations on your betrothal, and again thanks for a great trip report.
John.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:43 am

Alec - Great report!

I can say I am green with envy. I may just try and recreate the menu at home for some sense of connection to the flight :-)

------------------
cheers
domenic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.