Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-SFO-HNL on UA F then HNL-MAJ on AQ Y then MAJ-GUM-TPE on CO C

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2003, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

JFK-SFO-HNL on UA F then HNL-MAJ on AQ Y then MAJ-GUM-TPE on CO C

I recently flew from JFK to Honolulu in First on UA via SFO. After a few days, flew AQ to Majuro, Marshall Islands and then a few days later CO to Taipei via Guam.

Here is a brief report:

UA First JFK/SFO 762
This was a 7am morning departure. I had checked in on the internet and proceeded right through security without delay. The terminal was quite empty and there were no food outlets open. Boarding began quite early. The 762 first class section was full with 10 people. I think maybe 3 were non-revs from the way the flight attendant took the orders. There was one flight attendant, Reggie, and he was very courteous and attentive. Channel 9 was on and you could ask for videotapes, but I fell asleep and I'm not sure if they were offered or if you had to ask. I only saw 1 person using the tapes.

The menu was:
Fresh Bakery Items-bages, bear claw pastries, and croissants. One nice touch was that the cream cheese for the bages was in a little dish already scooped out.

Mains-Sauteed spinach, egg and Boursin cheese in filo pastry served with Mornay sauce, chicken sausage, salsa, and fruit

Or

French toast with cream cheese, banana, and walnut filling with maple cream, Canadian bacon, pork sausage, and fruit. Maple syrup, also in a little dish, was available.

Or

A fruit plate with yogurt.

I had the french toast. It was pretty good though a little heavy.

Drinks and coffee were offered throughout the flight. Reggie did a terrific job.

Prior to arrival a sizeable light meal/snack was offered. It consisted of:

Garden fresh salad
Cream of butternut squash soup
Mrs. Fields cookies

I just had the cookies as I wanted to get some sushi at Ebisu in the international terminal between flights. Cookies were fresh and tasty.

Wines-
Sparkling:
Bouver, non vintage, Loire
Villabra, non vintage, Prosecco
White:
Chablis Premier Cru Beauroy, 1999 La Chablisienne Chardonnay
Alsace Pinot Gris 1999, Hugel
Sequoia Grove Carneros Napa Valley 1998 Chardonnay
Oak Knoll Williamette Valley 2001 Pinot Gris
Red:
Nuits St. George Pinot Noir 1999, Bouchard Pere et Fils
Clos du Val Napa Valley 1998 Cabernet Sauvignon
Robert Mondavi Napa Valley Pinot Noir
Sagelands Vinery Columbia Valley 2000 Merlot

Overall a nice flight with great service and decent food. I personall like the 767-200 first class seats. They are plenty "deluxe" for 5 hours. Early arrival by 20 minutes.

UA First 777 SFO-HNL
This was a 2 class 777 aircraft with greenish/blue seats with adjustable headrests but no footrests. The configuration was 2-2-2 and was full with 36 people. The service, coordinated by Wendall, was great. Beverages were available before departure and service was prompt after take-off too. Water and other drinks were continually available throughout the flights, and I don't mean having to get them yourself but rather flight attendants roamed the aisles during the flight. This flight too arrived early by about 10 minutes. As with the JFK/SFO segment, menus were passed.

Meal Service
Traditional signature salad with julienned vegtables with Garden Isle Oriental or Asian sesame ginger dressing. The green, which were like high quality Mesclun, were nice and fresh and the dressing (Asian) was tasty. There were no vegtables however on the salad. Rolls were passed twice.

Main Course
Rotisserie-style chicken with honey mustard beurre blanc served with Corn flan and spinach with smoked bacon.

Grilled Salmon with Asian Chutney with vegetable medley, Egg noodles with sesame oil.

Dessert
Ice Cream Sundaes from the cart

I had the salmon and it was a bit dry. Not the best but not the worst. The ice cream, though the scoops were too small , was good. Wish UA had other toppings besides chocolate, but will take what I can get.

----
Aloha Airlines 737 Y class HNL to MAJ via JON.
This flight was a 737-200 operated by Aloha in a 2 class configuration. I was in economy and had a whole row. There were only about 30-40 people total and 4 flight attendants. The flight from HNL to Johnston Island was 2 hours and the flight from Johnston Island to Majuro, Marshall Islands was 3 hours.

On both segments, flight attendants took orders on pads (a la Southwest) and we had beverages within 10 minutes after take-off. On the leg from HNL to JON, they passeed out a fresh and large (more like deli style than bistro bag) ham sandwich with grapes. Water and little juice cups were promptly offered. On the leg from JON to MAJ, a plastic container was passed out with a little cucumber salad, grilled chicken, tomato wedge, and pineapple cheesecake. It looked like business class got a cold meal on the first leg and a hot meal on the second.

AQ was on the ground in JON about 25 minutes just to let off military employees/contractors. It is restricted so only those with "orders" can get off there. No one boarded there for the westbound continuation.

On approach into MAJ, we had to circle a bit , because as the pilot said, a "small" aircraft crossing the Pacific was ahead of us on approach. We still arrived about 10 minutes early. Customs is a casual affair at this open air airport. Took the shuttle to the Outrigger. Let me know if you need any info on that hotel.

A couple of days later went back to the little airport and checked in at the Continental Micronesia desk for my flight to Guam and onto Taipei. The flight was a 2 class 737-800 that had originated in HNL and arrived into MAJ early after a 5 hour flight. Again no x-ray machine so everything was done by hand. There was a metal detector however. Customs casual and quick and then held in an open air "pen" until boarding. Boarded via stairs and flight left 20 minutes early with 3 pilots and 5 fligh attendants as the crew works the whole HNL-GUM island hopper and it is like a 16 hour day for them. One seat in business is reserved for the 3rd pilot and 2 mechanics are onboard to service and inspect the aircraft at the little island stations.

After MAJ, the flight went to Kwajelein, Kosrae, Pohnpei, Chuuk and then finally Guam. Each fligh was between 55 minutes and 1 hour 20 minutes. You could get off at each stop except Kwaj as it is military restricted unless you are going to the local island of Ebeye. Drinks were offered pre-departure on some (don't recall how many) segments and drinks were served on each segment in the air. A small sandwich and small plate of fruit were offered on the KWA/KSA leg and the TKK/GUM leg. They were small but all the catering has to be done at HNL as these little stations don't have it available. It was 8 1/2 hours between MAJ and GUM with the 4 stops. Each arrival and departure was about 15 minutes early.

One interesting thing is at each of the little island airports they bring these big fans out and put them by the main wheels to cool the brakes as they heat up on these short segments with short runways. The Capt. also announced at each stop they would leave the gear down for the 1st minute of flight to cool the brakes in the slipstream.

Arrived into GUM and had a quick check from US immigration and back into terminal to wait in the spacious CO President's Club.

The flight to GUM was on a 737-800 and was 4 hours onto TPE. I was in business class and the entire aircraft was full. They showed 1 movie and the a 2nd one as well but didn't finish before arrival.

I slept through the service but heard the choices. It was a salad with creamy garlic or lime ginger dressing and rolls followed by tenderloin or chicken picatta. Dessert was served seperately and was some kind of rolled up cream cake type of thing. There were 2 flight attendants working business and they were very pleasant.

One thing is that almost 99% of the aircraft looked like native Taiwanese returning home. I was the only non-Asian in business class and both flight attendants only spoke English. Without a native speaker or printed menus, it was clearly difficult for both the passengers and the flight attendant to take meal orders. Eventually he gave up and brough out the plate of salad with the containers of both dressings to take their order. The one native speaker was in coach. I would suggest to CO that next time the native speaker at least take the orders in business class if they plan to work economy class.

Overall all flights were on-time if not early with service decent if not outstanding on all segments. My compliments to United, Aloha, and Continental Micronesia.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
What a great trip report! The service meal service sounds so much better on UA than when I went to HNL in F on AA. My mouth is watering! Did you get menus? I really enjoyed reading this, especially about the island hopping to Guam.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 10:55 pm

Programs: Many
Do armed military either still board the plane or surround it at Johnston Island or Kwaj? That has happened in the past in order (I guess) to ensure that the impression is made that you aren't getting off there...
Old Oct 12, 2003, 4:29 pm

Great trip report. Very unusual routing and great description of the food items
Old Oct 12, 2003, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, RCC, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
During this time, about how many seats where full for United JFK-SFO, SFO-HNL? Also the HNL-Jonson flight will be no longer flying as of december because the runway will close. It will go non stop to Marshall Islands on a 737-700. Did the AQ -200 flight have audio just for this route?

[This message has been edited by flyhawaii (edited 10-12-2003).]
Old Oct 12, 2003, 9:54 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Very interesting journey...

Mahalo nui loa...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, LMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Oct 12, 2003, 9:55 pm

Agreed with the above comments. What a great report!! I would love to do the CO island-hopper one day.

MD
Old Oct 13, 2003, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

To reply to a couple of questions...

-There was some type of "official" checking documentation/orders when passengers disembarked at Johnston Island and Kwajelein. They were not in military dress/fatigues, but rather just a polo style shirt and shorts. They may have been some type of contracted employee.

-There was no entertainment on the Aloha 737-200. In fact, it is the same configuration used for the inter-island service except it is certified for ETOPS. I guess this means among other things it can carry extra fuel, has better fire detection/extinguishing systems, and undergoes more detailed pre-flight inspections. I know at some times I have seem this aircraft on the inter-island routes. Just look for ETOPS painted on the nose gear doors. This aircraft also has some of the flags of the destination it serves (or once served) like the Republic of the Marshall Islands.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 9:18 pm

Thanks for the report.

UA food sounds okay -- although I disagree with you on the light meal service prior to arrival, the meals seem to get smaller these days -- I really miss the old cold lunch buffet with those cocktail shrimps and crab legs, and deli plate and all those great things... even the second phase of deli and salmon plate are good... it is sad to see it is downgraded to just soup and salad...

The Aloha segments sound interesting -- if I am correct, AQ does not have ovens in the galley on these Boeing 737-200s which basically fly the short inter-island segment...

About the CO flights from GUM to TPE, it was not surprising that Taiwanese tourists occupied most of the seats... I guess printed menus are not just facny assesories and have practical uses...

Thanks for the report!

Carfield
Old Oct 16, 2003, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Carfield:
The Aloha segments sound interesting -- if I am correct, AQ does not have ovens in the galley on these Boeing 737-200s which basically fly the short inter-island segment...
</font>
yeah no gally...

and I always wondered how CO did their island hopper flight from HNL. I've gotta get up earlier to see that 737 land at HNL sometime.

Great trip report! Aloha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.