Wiki Posts
Search

AS F EWR-SEA-SFO-SEA-EWR in F

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2003, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

AS F EWR-SEA-SFO-SEA-EWR in F

Hi all,

Here is a series of Alaska’s trip reports! It will certainly get bored after you read more than three times the menus for AS 11 and AS 14, which will be basically a monthly route that I will fly. Well, here is my fourth to seventh segment out of the thirty-five segments I am doing.

September 27, 2003
AS 11 EWR-SEA Lv0830 Arr1127
Boeing 737-700 N609AS
I woke up at 5am this morning and then caught a cab to Penn station, and took the 6:08am train to EWR. I arrived at the Alaska’s counter around 6:45am – not particularly busy. I quickly used the kiosk to check in and headed to Gate 27. I wanted to use the President’s Club but was not opened till 7:30am on Saturdays and Sundays. I headed to the gate area, bought an expensive bottle of orange juice ($2.75) and then used the pay phone to call my friend in Hong Kong. I chatted for forty-five minutes and then walked around the quiet Concourse A around. Nothing much going on, except the redeye America West flight arrived. Boarding began at 7:56am.

The flight was full in first class and 70% full in economy with most middle seats opened. A bottle of Genuine Pure True Alaskan Water, a menu, and an entertainment guide was already placed on the console. There was a baby in F class this morning but he remained very quiet throughout the flight. Due to a mechanical problem, door was not closed till 8:55am. The pilot told us that we would catch up some time, as our flying time was only five hours and fourteen minutes. As expected, there was a long line waiting for R/W22L, but we managed to cut a few aircrafts and took off at 9:22am, much better than the forty minutes wait last week.

We climbed up to 35,000ft for a while, before reaching 39,000ft, our final attitude. As most morning flights, it was fairly quiet with most passengers sleeping or reading. The breakfast was quickly served after takeoff. Here is the menu transcript!

Warmed Breakfast Pastry and Fresh Fruit Plate
Four slices of papaya, half a mango (rather tasteless though), 2 ripe strawberries, and a slice of kiwi, accompanied by a warmed cinnamon roll

Breakfast Entrée
Your choice of the following:
Egg soufflé with Canadian Bacon
Herb Breakfast Potatoes, and Parmesan Cheese Crusted Tomatoes
I had the rather unpopular egg dish – it was actually like the frittata that United served. It was nicer with bacon slices and a tasty tomato sauce in the middle of the soufflé.
Or
Roasted Mushroom Omelette with Tomato Compote, Herb Potatoes, and Grilled Seasoned Chicken Sausage

After breakfast, DVD players were passed out, and choices of movies include Agent Cody Banks, the Quiet American, Daredevil, Bringing Down the House, Jungle Book 2, The Lizzie McGuire Movie, and Solaris. Well, the handheld entertainment units will soon replace the DVDs and we will see how that will go. I slept till snack was served around an hour and half prior to arrival. It was a rather skimpy and disappointing snack – a cold open-faced smoked salmon muffin sandwich with a spicy salsa and cheese spread. There was an olive, cherry tomato and a lemon wedge that accompanies the dish. I personally find muffin quite disgusting when served as cold. It will be better if a bagel is used. I actually like the pear and cheese plate better.

Descent soon began at 2:09pm EST, and hot towels were passed out then. A beautiful day in Seattle! We landed on Runway 34L at 11:33am PST. We parked at gate N8 at the North Satellite shortly after.

I went to the board room a bit and took advantage of the free wireless service.

AS 398 SEA-SFO Lv1316 Arr1518
Boeing 737-400 N780AS
Boarding began at 12:45pm at Gate D12. The water bottles were already placed in the console. Kelly was our lead flight attendant and took our beverage order after takeoff shortly after everyone was settled. Door was closed at 1:07pm and we pushed back a few minutes later. We took off from Runway 34R at 1:29pm. Flying time was an hour and forty-two minutes and our cruising attitude was 33,000ft. It was a beautiful day for flying – we passed through Olympia, Portland, Salem, Eugene, and Northern California.

Lunch was served shortly after. Kelly let us choose the entrée by showing one of each choice to us. The choices are basically typical AS fare. My neighbor chose the chicken salad with warmed roll, and I had the roast beef and Havarti cheese sandwich, accompanied by a ricaroni salad and a slice of Ghiradelli’s Milk Chocolate Square. I had a cup of hot tea after the meal and took a nap again. Shortly after, descent began at 2:48pm, as we passed by Sacramento. Soon the bay area was visible and passed by the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco Downtown before returning to SFO. Gear came down at 3:06pm and we landed on R/W28L at 3:11pm. We parked at gate 20 shortly after. International terminal looked pretty busy with the afternoon arrays of European and Asian flights – CX’s Boeing 747-400 B-HUJ (dreaded 74B), KL’s MD-11, VS’s Boeing 747-400, and BA’s Boeing 747-400 were at the North Wing.

September 28, 2003
AS 87 SFO-SEA Lv0910 Arr1110
Boeing 737-400 N799AS
After an evening at Sheraton Gateway, I headed off to the airport. I arrived an hour prior to departure and found no line at the Alaska area. The security line was okay with about twenty minutes waiting time, but the “extra” search line was long – I don’t realize many passengers fit that category. When I reached the board room, our aircraft just landed from Palm Spring. Bagels and scones were available at the room. I had a scone and a couple glasses of rather disgusting tasting juices featured by AS’ beloved Citrus valley. I ended up drinking water. Boarding began at 8:37am and the flight was fairly busy this morning. F class was full and I had a window seat at 2A.

Door was closed at 8:55am and we pushed back a few minutes later. As we pushed back, I saw a Northwest DC-10 parked at the international terminal – I guess the SFO-NRT is still seeing these ancient DC-10s. Hopefully, the A330-200 will show up soon. We took off from Runway 1R at 9:13am. Flying time was an hour and twenty-seven minutes, with a cruising attitude of 31,000ft. Our flight attendant was cheerful but seemed to enjoy chatting with a couple gentlemen returning home from Palm Spring at the bulkhead rows. The standard breakfast snack was featured in first class cabin. The fruit plate was quite nice with two slices of cantaloupes, two slices of kiwi, 2 1/2 strawberries and an orange segment, accompanied by a warmed raisin scone.

Descent soon began at 10:21am. It was a beautiful day in Seattle. We landed on Runway 34L at 10:40am and soon parked at gate C-3. I headed to the Board room for the three hours wait.

AS 14 SEA-EWR Lv1400 Arr2158
Boeing 737-700 N625AS
Gate C-12 was our designated gate this afternoon. The flight was about 60% full in Y and 100% in F. Boarding took place at 1:23pm and pre-takeoff water bottles were already placed at the console. I was able to get 2C this afternoon – my favorite seat at the Boeing 737-700. There was no printed menu this afternoon, which was not surprising – the printed menus showed up at random. Our flight attendant, Patty, was extremely friendly and the service was excellent this evening. Door was closed at 1:49pm and we wasted no time in pushing back. I was surprised that we were not being put on hold. We took off from Runway 34R at 2:01pm – good job, Alaska.

Flying time was four hours and twenty-eight minutes with a cruising attitude of 37,000ft. Beverage was shortly served after takeoff with a pack of honey smoked almonds and mixed nut. Salad then followed – unfortunately, the blue checker “linen” – not really real linen was also used on transcontinental flights. Also the plastic salt and pepper shakers had formally replaced the glassed ones, but at least it was not cheap looking like the paper packets used by Continental and volcano sticks used by United. Nevertheless, I am just curious how much AS can save by using plastic vs. glasses. Here is my self-described menu:

Mesclun Green Salad topped with three fresh slices of buffalo mozzarella cheese and pine nuts, accompanied by Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing

Choices of Sourdough, Wheat, and Olive Bread loaves

Main Courses
Fillet of Beef topped with an herb sauce, sugar snap peas and a potato side dish
Or
Seared King Alaskan Salmon topped with a white sauce, accompanied by mashed chunky potatoes and a green, red peppers, mushroom and asparagus julienne medley

Dessert
A Pear tart with a caramel sauce

The salad was fine and I am just not a big fan of the mesclun family. The bread slices were the usual and I had the wheat. For some reason, bread baskets were not loaded this afternoon. I had the salmon entrée, which was okay. I had this particular entrée before and the beef actually looked better, but I decided to be “healthy” for this time. The pear tart was delicious and Patty kept serving us drinks after dinner. DVD players were handed out next and the choices of movies were same as the inbound flight. I did not watch any DVD, even though I brought a Korean movie with me. I really need to catch up with my reading. The flight was fairly smooth and I had ginger ale for the rest of the flight. About 5:26pm, Patty heated up the mixed nuts. Soon descent began thirty minutes later. I was surprised that there was no hold. Hot towels were then passed out and the cabin was prepared for arrival. We landed on Runway 4R at 9:29pm EST. We passed by a number of international aircraft, including the SQ’s 744, AI’s 744, Air Jamaica’s A320, AZ’s 763 (many hours delay from Milan), LOT’s Boeing 767-300, and BA’s 777 (overnight at EWR). We parked at gate A-27 eight minutes later. I was able to catch the 10:07pm train back to Manhattan. Great job, Alaska!

So 28 more segments to go! Next report will be on my one-day trip to FLL on Continental (my last roundtrip in order to qualify for Platinum next year!).

Carfield

Old Sep 29, 2003, 4:51 pm

Carfield, another great TR from you!

I was also at the Sheraton Gateway that evening after flying MCO-MIA-ORD-LAX-SFO on AA. Alas, my FT luggage tag was on my other bag.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 7:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Enjoyed reading your report, Carfield. I flew SEA-BOS r/t on AS a couple of weeks ago. The service was pretty much as you described. The dinner service would be better with a larger salad/appetizer. As with your flights, we only received menus on one of the two segments. I don't understand it...does catering just forget to load them sometimes?
Old Sep 29, 2003, 8:12 pm

Carfield,
PLEASE Tell me what 35 segments you are going to do and if this is a MR or a RTW?

Thanks
Old Oct 1, 2003, 9:34 am

Programs: Hertz Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Gold
Wow - I was also at the Sheraton Gateway from Sept. 25th - 30th (am). BDL-MSP-SFO-DTW-BDL. Attended a wedding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.